"Lost" The End (TV Episode 2010) Poster

(TV Series)

(2010)

'The End' I Needed
andrew2524 May 2010
LOST, as a series, ends right where it begins: on an island, in a bamboo field, with a close-up of the right eye of Jack Shephard. The journey between these two events, however, has taken us all on a grand, unforgettable ride. Jack and the other "survivors" are not the same people they were back on September 22, 2004. The flawed, lonely, broken individuals we were introduced to long ago finally found redemption in the form of the love, friendship, and togetherness they experienced as a result of being drawn to the magical island. While it may not have answered every question, "The End" explained that this six season narrative was really all about the characters, and brought a sense of closure and peace that I never thought I would find when LOST concluded. I long dreaded reaching the inevitable destination because I never believed there could be a satisfying end for these people and this show fans have come to care for so much. However, it seems I should have had more faith in the creators because the finale far exceeded any expectations I had and left me with a sense of peace and hope that I never thought I could get from a fictional story.

Throughout the years, the Island came to represent a lot of things, both to the characters of LOST and to the fans of the show. It was a home, an escape, a prison, a burial ground, a heaven, a hell, but, above all, it was the destination for all of those seeking fulfillment and more out of life, and last night's finale showed us that, in the end, it worked and it was all very real. To try to sum up LOST as a whole would be a heroic task, and I will not waste precious words trying to do so. However, now that I have the entire story in front of me, I can begin to piece together what exactly happened, and it will take many years of repeat viewing to take in everything.

As for last night, the big revelation was that the "flash-sideways" stories we have seen over the last season were really scenes from an idealized version of a living death that the island castaways created themselves after they had all died. A little hard to comprehend, I know, but I thoroughly enjoyed this twist and would expect nothing less from the creators. During season six, I, like many others, believed that the sideways world was a sort of "what if" alternate reality that was showing us what would have happened if the hatch never had to be built, Desmond had never failed to push the button, and Oceanic 815 never crashed on the island. Instead, it was a life after death existing in its own space and time and only able to occur after all the characters had died. So yes, Oceanic 815 really crashed on the island with all the survivors alive and well, and everything that eventually happened, really happened, including all of the time travel and mythical occurrences. It is fiction after all.

In the end, Jack "saved" the island from the Man in Black but died in the process, joining the several other characters we have seen die on the island. Kate, Sawyer, Claire, Richard, Miles, and Lapidus successfully fly away on the Ajira jet, presumably to live long, healthy lives off of the island. Hurley and Ben stay behind as the island's new protectors, although with a different set of rules than Jacob had, allowing Desmond to leave to reunite with Penny and baby Charlie. Back in the sideways limbo world, we can assume by now that it is years later and everyone has, by that time, died, but does not realize it yet. To awake from this purgatorial stasis, each character experiences an enlightening "moment of clarity" brought on by some key event that caused all of the memories, emotions, and feelings to come rushing back and signified the person was ready to "move on." A lot of time last night was spent on these "awakenings," and with each one, I experienced my own sense of remembrance as I was flooded with images from the past six years. It concludes in a church, with all of our happily dead "survivors" reuniting with one another and finally finding their peace. They are all ready to move on, which is symbolized by Christian Shephard opening the door of the church and letting light permeate the room. And with that, the sideways world ends.

But to where are they moving on? And what happens to Kate, Sawyer, Hurley, and everyone else who survives the island? And why were some characters absent from the church? These are just some of the many questions that were left open for interpretation, and, honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way. It has always bothered me that some people did not enjoy LOST because there were too many questions without enough answers. In fact, that was one of the many things I always enjoyed about the series. It was, and always will be, a cerebral show. If you try to view it with a list in hand of all the questions for which you demand answers, you are missing out on quite an experience. The island was just a device to tell a story. The crux of it all and what always tied everything together was the characters, and "The End" did give a tremendous resolution to the story of the characters I believe. Everything they did mattered. Without the events of the story, they would have never found the peace and meaning in their lives. In the end, they died together, instead of living alone. And I couldn't ask for anything else.
176 out of 234 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lost will Forever be Unforgettable
ajaymittal24 May 2010
In answering questions, in being action-packed, in being both romantic and reminiscent; "The End" truly succeeds in satisfying all the needs of us increasingly- demanding fans. It could be said that this episode was actually made for the people.

Almost every key character plays a part in what can only be described as an emotionally draining finale – one that is orchestrated to near perfection, with the exception of a couple of (quite understandably) rushed scenes. Any speck of below-par direction is well and fully compensated by outstanding close-up acting, as we are able to appreciate the stars of Lost on the very top of their game.

This brilliant extended episode confirmed that Lost was not only a show based on the characters but also one that was defined by the intimate bonds between these characters; whether it was the romantic bond between James and Juliette or the rivalrous one between John and Jack. With these two specific relationships, we witness romance and rivalry blossom into love and respect. Indeed it was love that dominated as the overriding theme of this episode and ultimately proving to be the essence of the story as a whole.

The story itself doesn't disappoint either as we are given answers to the most pressing of questions whilst we are kept wondering over the bigger picture. John Locke (the English philosopher) once said, "It is of great use to the sailor to know the length of his line, though he cannot with it fathom all the depths of the ocean." In one sense, Lost gave us the length of the line, but not the depths of the ocean.

Of course without Lost's mystique and inscrutability, we (as fans) will lose our lifelong license to theorise, speculate and debate! This said, Lost attempts to place the audience in the position of a few of the characters – who, like us, are full of questions and perilously frustrated with the Island. These characters may remain in the dark but are at last content with where/when they are.

Most fans will be in mourning as we begin referring to Lost in the past tense but if there is anything we can learn from the greatest TV show ever to be created, it's that to let go is never to forget. Lost will forever be unforgettable.

The End - 10/10.
232 out of 344 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I didn't expect anything less...
alejonebbia26 May 2010
I know that some fans are upset or disappointed for the way the series ended.

In the other hand, I know that some fans are highly satisfied with the way the series ended.

Personally, I'm not going to deny that I had my personal version of how Lost should've ended (who didn't?); and I also have a lot of unresolved questions I have to learn to live with.

But, even when I'm a big fan of Lost since the pilot to this very last episode, I'd decided to watch the finale with no expectations about what it should or shouldn't be like.

Lost have turned me upside down more that once (actually, almost always). Every time I thought I had it figure it out, the story managed to show me the Island and the characters from a new angle, a different perspective. More than once (actually so many times) I felt that thrill, those goosebumps for a new beginning.

I applaud Lost for that. It was never predictable, and that's a very good thing that I wasn't experiencing in a show since Twin Peaks ended 19 years ago (wow, it's been a long time).

What I did expect for the last episode of this wonderful series was to surprise me, to turn me upside down once again, to show me the Island and the characters from a new fresh perspective. I knew it couldn't give me all the answers I wanted in 2 1/2 hours... and I didn't want that. I still enjoy using my imagination and filling up the blanks with my own theories.

And this episode just did it again. It gave us a twist that many people (including me) were not expecting, and obviously generated love and hate in equal measures. It's everything I expected.

I just hope not having to wait for almost two decades for another show of this sort to show up again and shake our very core.
89 out of 127 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Emotionally moving, intellectually vacant
sqeaston925 May 2010
And so one of the finest Fantasy TV shows we've ever seen concludes. Why do I say Fantasy? Because as the seasons have unfolded the writers have resorted more and more to the fantastical to explain that which can't logically be explained.

Spoilers follow: So the good aspect of The End was there were some excellent and satisfying emotional scenes as the characters in the alternative reality remembered the main time line, and their love for each other. This worked very well, at least until the last ten minutes, when we learn that they're actually all dead, and are in some kind of waiting dimension before moving on. Not only does this make no sense, but it completely invalidates everything that happened in the alternative universe. How is it possible that children are born in this reality when they weren't born on Earth? Why didn't Jin and Sun remember how to speak English? What relevance did the detonation of the H-Bomb have? Then there's all the burning questions built up and then discarded as the series went on, such as the whole pregnancy sub plot. I'd have expected some kind of explanation, but like so many others (no pun intended) there was none. The overall answer to everything seemed to be 'it's all down to some magical light in a cave'. What about 'the rules' regarding certain characters not being able to kill other characters? Thrown out of the window.

So emotionally, a success; intellectually, an epic fail. A shame, because this series had such enormous potential.
79 out of 118 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Only People LOST Were the Writers!
Venge25 May 2010
For the past several seasons I suspected that the creators of "Lost" were writing themselves into a corner. The series finale proved it. They were unable to supply any logical or informative answers to the many very diverse questions their writing generated during the series. So what they decided to do instead, was fill the final episode with mushy, heart-rending flashbacks that stirred our emotions, but explained nothing. The writers did not supply any answers, simply because they had no answers to supply.

Who were the Dharma Initiative? Who were the Others? What was an atomic bomb doing on the island? Why did the bright light cause a strong magnetic field? How did Jacob get off the island to "touch" each of the cast members? Who was the crazy militant group that worked for Jacob? Why did Jacob's brother turn into a smoke monster when he went in the tunnel? Why didn't Desmond and Jack turn into smoke monsters when they went in the tunnel? Why did an incantation have to be made before Jacob and Jack drank the water, but not before Hurley did? What is the significance of the huge statue at the water's edge? How do you figure the significance of "the button" into that ending? What was the means by which the various island members were able to create their "alternate dimension" to find themselves in? Was this created before or after Charlie's death? Not that we really care, but what happened to Michael? Was he kicked out of the alternate dimension? That would have had to suck!! And on and on and on and on and on .....

The answer from the writers to all those questions is .......... "Duhhhhhhhhhh!!! We don't' have a clue!! Let is go!!" Appears Sawyer wasn't the only con-man in the show.
164 out of 258 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mass Confusion.
denacioust27 May 2010
I personally enjoyed the finale, and the mass of bad reviews on it here seem to be as a result of confusion or not paying attention to the show. Going through the previous review of it I see a lot of problems:

'Who was the Japanese guy?Why did he speak English and lived in LA in the parallel universe (or what ever that was)?'

His name was Dogen. He was just a higher-up among the others. He could speak English in the original timeline also, he just chose not to so as to differentiate him from the people he was in charge of. In LA he had no power over people, so had no need to differentiate him from other people. He was in the LA timeline as a red herring to make us think this was some sort of Deja Vu timeline, his presence there was inconsequential to the overall plot.

'What did Juliete mean when she whispered to Sawyer that they made it / it succeeded in the first episode of season 6? How did she know that?'

Didn't you watch the scene between her and Sawyer? When she said it worked and that they should go for coffee in the original timeline it was her kind of switching into the afterlife timeline as she was dying.

'Why did Jacob's twin brother, later fake Locke, die? And if he died how could he return? If he could use any body, why use Locke, when everybody knew Locke was dead? Why not infiltrate the group in season one, using Jack for example? '

He died because the light was turned off, which was why he had any power. He could only overtake the body of a dead person, so taking Jack's form was out of the question. He overtook Locke's body as a trusted member of the group who had already been given special treatment by the island, so it seemed reincarnation wasn't out of the question.

'Why did the Others take Walt? Michael, what happened to him? ' The Others took all the kids and apparently gave them all a better life. Michael died aboard the freighter when it exploded in the Season 4 finale.

'Libby?' Died when Michael shot her a long time ago.

'How was it possible for Ben to release the Black Smoke?' As we learned in the finale he actually wasn't able to summon it. It was summoning him. It let him believe that it was protecting the island, in order to get Ben to do his bidding. Locke was already the smoke monster whenever we saw Ben 'summoning' it, it's not hard to realise that Locke just followed Ben's order when he heard it.

'How did Ben manage to leave the island before and end up murdering Locke?' He turned the Donkey Wheel. In 'Across the Sea' we learned that the Donkey wheel was something that the smoke monster man created for him to leave the island.

'Why did he murder Locke?' Ben's evil.

'What ever happened to Rousseau?' Also got killed, by the freighter crew, quite a while ago.

'Why did they speak English on the Island? If Jacob spoke an ancient language and Richard spoke Spanish, why?' Well if you'd prefer to have had the whole show subtitled that's up to you. Somethings are put in just for the betterment of the show.

'Why was it that some things in the parallel universe was the same and others were very different?' Well if everything was the same then they'd just have crashed on the island again and we'd just be having flashbacks of old episodes.

'What happened to Mr Echo and his Church?' Ecko died a long time ago. Smokey killed him. His church never finished construction, since him and Charlie died.

'Why did they all have return to the Island?' The island wasn't finished with them, they also felt bad for leaving everyone on the island to die, basically.

' If they were dead, how could they return? Did they die on their second trip to the Island or in the plane crash? Did the plane crash take place or that was symbolic too?' They weren't dead. The flash-sideways was an afterlife for when they died eventually. The island was real, everything in the 6 seasons happened. They died eventually, they made this blatantly obvious. Jack died at the end of the episode, Kate and Sawyer and all got home and lived on with their lives. Hurley and Ben stayed on the island, and died eventually.

'Why have we followed Charles Widmore and his search for Ben when all that happened was that Ben shot him in season six?' It'd be a bit naive to say that's ALL that happened, considering how Widmore had Ben's daughter and most of his people murdered.

Another question which has been annoying me is the Polar Bear one. Anyone who's watched the show through season 3 knows that was explained a long time ago as a Dharma Initiative experiment.

I personally thoroughly enjoyed the finale, and while we didn't get an answer to every question, I didn't expect to. I think the reason it was so poorly received was that people expected there to be a logical, real- life explanation. There was a goddamn monster made of smoke on the island, there was never going to be a logical answer.
47 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's not about that...
ModernMythMan24 May 2010
You're confused. You're disappointed. You may even be angry.

I get it.

You wanted answers and clarity and the dots to be connected. You wanted to understand just what the hell was going on and why. You didn't get that. And it seemed like the writers didn't have any interest at all in tying off the loose ends.

That's because they didn't.

This show was about human beings. The lives they lead. The choices they make. The beliefs that drive them. The fears that cripple them. Their triumphs and their failures. Their loves and their battles. It's about us and the little worlds we make for ourselves with the people we are connected to.

And look around you... How many questions do you have for your world? How much of it do you not understand and how often does it just get so ridiculously complicated that you can't even remember why you were putting in the work in the first place? How much of our time is spent searching for the answers to the questions, the complications, and the challenges? Answers that never seem to really stick. And how much does that obsessive search trip us up in appreciating what we've already been given?

That was the point of this show, guys and gals. There are questions all around us and we want so desperately to have them answered by the end. But when we get to the end -- the true end -- what we find is that those all-too critical questions and their elusive answers no longer matter; that it was never really about that at all. We just thought it was.

That's the true victory of LOST. What we've been given is a story whose structure and execution mirrored perfectly what the story itself was about. (It even struggled in those respects just as mightily as its characters in their respects from time to time.) We found ourselves in a place we don't really understand, surrounded by people we're bound to but do not yet know. And we fight and squabble and bicker and love and laugh and learn. And those of us who get it just a little bit more than the rest give their best to make sense of it all and do the right thing -- one mistake at a time. Those who realize that getting what we've been looking for lies more in sacrifice than selfishness.

What makes a story worth telling or a life worth living are not the questions or the answers or the sequence of events. It's the people we share it all with; the people along the ride for every stupid little moment that we can't figure out.

I thank the creators. And I hope that those of you still fixated on what makes the island move or Walt and the bird can begin to see that you've missed the point entirely. To remember, to let go and then just move on at peace...
70 out of 106 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'll see you in another life, Brotha
sullivanm24 May 2010
Going into the Lost finale everyone had a question they wanted answered. Whether it was a main storyline question about the Man In Black or what exactly what the light in the heart of the island, or if it was a random question about Walt and the birds, or who built that statue; everyone had a question they got answered. However, chances are your question was not answered, but in the end that was okay.

Many people forget that Lost is a drama first, not a puzzle or mystery. As an individual who never missed an episode and whose living room became a Lost viewing party every Tuesday night, I had plenty of questions, however at the end of the day I had a connection built. Lost fans have their favorite characters, favorite episodes, favorite couple, etc. etc. Fans cried when Charlie died because they loved Charlie. Lost was a world of mystery that intrigue millions, but that mystery drew us into the lives of Jack, Kate, Hurley, Sawyer, the Kwons, Locke, and everyone else on the island.

The finale answered some of the questions we had, but it went beyond trying to answer all of our questions, it did its fans one better, it closed the story lines of everyone we cared about, not necessarily all the way through to their death, but through their life and the island.

In the end the island was a cork to stop evil from flooding the world and the flash sideways was the "in between" of the afterlife. In order for the castaways to move on to the next "stop" they needed to find each other in a life where they never crashed on the island. Not because it was some great test, but because they needed to move on with the people they loved.

The final ten minutes of Lost showed us how much the lives of the castaways were intertwined with each other's lives. How much they loved each other, and how important those relationships were to each other's life.

Very rarely does a show end and teach you a lesson about the people in your lives. Look around your life, who are the people that matter? Who will be the people you need to find in order to move on in the after life. Are you blessed enough to have people in your life that you share a bond with as strong as Jack and Kate? Or Sawyer and Juliet?

I cried tears of joy seeing the castaways find each other and remember how important each one of them is to the other. Jack died not to save the island, but to save his friends, and after he did it, they were all waiting for him, just like he told Desmond, "I'll see you in another life, Brotha."
79 out of 125 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thanks LOST for every thing
zizihend-831 March 2011
I really don't know what to say. This is my best show ever I can't say any thing bad, I can't forget all my feelings during all the 6 seasons. BUT, IS THAT THE END??? Where is the answers I have a lot of questions, there are a lot of details need to be cleared more, a lot of events we don't know where they came from and what is after that, of course I know that authors give us the chance for prediction and expect more things and try to find many answers alone, that's not enough for me I want more I feel that LOST 6 didn't give me what I am really looking for. They all died??I know that the point isn't that they all died but "when" they all died..I expect that the authors searched a lot and a lot to find appropriate end for this legend, and it's very tiring job after all this love from watchers, BUT from the other side I don't know what kind of ends I really wanted..By the way I love the music of season6 so so so much,I will always love LOST and like all actors, actresses, and all the crew, and I really hope there is a rest of it but it can't be. Every thing is finished :( I want to say to all the crew you did a great job. and I hope you achieve more success. When I talk from my own point of view I have honestly to say that: LOST has effected me so much, I lived with them on this island all the 6 seasons, not just me I think all of us did..Thanks LOST & Good Bye
26 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Greatest Finale Of The Modern Era
busterk25 May 2010
Too often, TV shows try to give us a finale that panders to the 'safe zone' of simply showing the lead character going on to live a happy life having fulfilled their objectives. And the question has been on the horizon for some time now…how on earth could the creators of Lost end this story?

Well, they did so, by giving us one of the most intelligent, moving, and brave endings in TV history. After the woeful 'Across The Sea' is was debatable that they could actually pull it off, and I for one was not expecting much from the finale. But boy was I wrong, and here's why:

1) The show refused to bend to the fanatics who wanted answers about the Island. Yes, I know there are those of you out there that were disappointed because you didn't get 'Island' answers. But you are missing the point. As they have continued to hammer home to us since season 1, this has never been a story about the Island, it is a story about the people. That is why throughout all six seasons we spent more time off island than on it. If this was a story about the Island the writers would never have left it. And yet they could've easily thrown some answers in there to keep you happy but it would have been irrelevant to the 'Lost story'. It could have been set on a mountain range or in caves, it was ALWAYS a story about PEOPLE that were LOST and needing to FIND THEMSELVES. That one thing that makes them feel whole, their destiny, and in most cases it was each other. Why Jacob had a thing for numbers is irrelevant. That's his business.

2) The Biggest Answers Were All Answered. a) Why exactly was Jack brought to the Island? – To sacrifice his life to save it. b) Why was Kate brought to the Island? – To kill Locke. c) Why was Hurley brought to the Island? – To become Jacob. d) What Is The Off Island World That We Keep Seeing? – A place of denial in which they had to be forced into seeing what had really happened to them all.

3) Some Of The Greatest Scenes In TV History. a) Sawyer and Juliet At The Vending Machine - was quite simply one of the best written scenes that have ever been filmed in any medium. b) Charlie and Clare Finding Each Other – Incredibly powerful and full of meaning. c) Jin and Sun Remembering – They remembered dying, which was a big clue as to what was about to come in the closing ten minutes. d) Jack In The Light – The look of disbelief on Jack's face when he thought it hadn't worked, to the one of utter and complete joy of having fulfilled his destiny when he saw the water trickling down was a stunning scene. Not one word of dialogue and yet it conveyed a thousand words. Truly magnificent.

4) The Two Huge Twists a) That The Alternate Reality Wasn't A Reality At All – Never saw this one coming and yet it makes perfect sense and resonates. b) That It Was Actually Hurley That Was Meant To Be Jacob – Jack seemed to always know this. He never spoke of doing the job for a long time. He knew, like Jacob did, that he was here for a reason. In the Lighthouse, Jacob said Jack was here "to do something" = ONE SINGULAR EVENT. And that "he has to figure that out on his own." When the Island was falling apart, Jack knew what his destiny was, to sacrifice his life to protect the Island so the real Jacob (Hurley) can stay on and protect it. For Jacob to make Hurley the guardian any earlier would have been to expose him to Locke, and it was always Jacob's trump card.

5) The Island Survives When Hurley and Ben eventually die, we can assume that Hurley found his own candidates and passed on the Jacob role to someone else. It is still important and people will continue to go there to find themselves when they are 'lost'.

6) Island Answers Left Open This was a masterstroke because it allows everybody to do what they have always done = interpret the answers their own way. By leaving them open, the writers have created a legacy that will continue to be discussed and debated for many many years. If they had spent season 6 answering Island questions then there would be nothing left to discuss when the show ends. It would have been all too easy and common place to answer these now. Leaving them open has left the mysteries of the Island in the hands of us viewers.

7) The Perfect Last Image To book-end the story with what we saw in the opening image of season 1 was the right way to end Lost. And yes, this is where Jack died. Not in the original plane crash, and not when the bomb went off. For Jack's character to come full circle, he had to sacrifice his life to save the Island, and when he'd achieved this, the Island was done with him. Brilliant last image and could not have been better. When he closed his eye, he died. Jack was no longer 'lost', he'd found his destiny. The End.
58 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quite a journey, BUT a misleading one
CMManiac25 May 2010
Point 1: I have watched every single episode of Lost, and I can honestly say it was by far the only show with these many seasons I was able to follow from the very beginning to the very end;

Point 2: I eagerly awaited next week's episode, week after week, and always felt Lost as something very special even if incredibly flawed here and there. I still do.

Point 3: I am perfectly aware of what the writers kept saying this show was about: a show about people who are lost in their own lives and are desperately trying to find themselves.

Now for the review of the final episode / entire series.

If this was a show solely about people, their relationships, their life struggles, their emotional setbacks, their search for meaning, and had nothing else to offer, then it wouldn't be original in any sense and could easily be replaced with tons of other dramatic series which already explored this concept over and over. What made Lost unique and special was the aura of mystery, the uncertainty of what's real and what's not, the mythological symbolism, the eerie sense of danger without knowing exactly what to fear. That's what made Lost different from any other show. And the writers knew that all along. If not, why would they end almost every single episode with a confusing revelation, an unexplained event or an added mystery? They knew that the only reason people kept on watching it was the blind hope that, by the end of the series, at least the most important of these would be answered. And they weren't. Now I'm not one to obsess about every single little detail left unexplained. Lost presented a highly complex concept throughout, and it would be utterly naive to actually believe everything would be tied up. I also think the alternative reality was fairly well wrapped up and explained - it was clearly a gratifying emotional journey to experience those moments of awareness amongst characters that we all learned to care about, and we have to give writers credit for that emotional bond they were able to create between viewers and cast (the sound score also contributed to this emotional climax to a great deal). Some things left unexplained or simply unattended, though. Why only those specific people got to be reunited in the church when there were probably more important characters throughout the series who were left out (where were Michael, Miles, Faraday or even Lapidus, and why were characters like Boone, Shannon, Lilly, Rose and Bernard there, who played only a minor or irrelevant part in the series)? The rationale given by Jack's father was that "The most important part of your life was the time you spent with these people". This is way too much of a simplistic explanation. I seriously doubt, for example, that Sayid would rather be in that church with Shannon than with Nadia, or that Kate, Sawyer and Claire, after leaving the island and supposedly getting on with their lives, were unable to find other people with whom to share their lives, and who could easily fit in this "reunion" purpose. It was just too fixed of a gathering, too convenient in order to match some characters with their island significant others to end on the 'in the end, love wins and that's all that matters' note. Again, the ALT reality plot turns out to be quite an emotional journey, but that alone doesn't exactly cut it for such an original show like Lost. Or at least it shouldn't. Having said that, I think this reality was much better explained and concluded than the island one, and the whole 'being able to remember to let go' thing makes perfect sense to me, as it ties to the notion that one may need a certain catalyst event after death to gain awareness and let go of his human condition, and assume whatever condition one becomes after that, if any.

But the island plot was a different thing altogether. No matter what the writers kept saying the show was about, no matter how hard they tried to run away from it, at the very least they should have properly explained what was the true nature and origin of island and the greatest mysteries it entailed such as the light, time traveling, the smoke monster, the origin of the rules Jacob kept mentioning (it's simply not good enough having Jacobs' foster mother saying 'I've made you so that you can't hurt each other'), what really happened after the hydrogen bomb went off (I've eagerly awaited the explanation after season 5 ended, and we DO see the island at the bottom of the ocean in the start of season 6, but the show continues as if nothing had happened. What the hell was that about?? It's a HYDROGEN BOMB, for crying out loud!!!), and some of the island's mythological symbolism. These were the mysteries that kept Lost followers glued on the screen week after week, not the Jack-Sawyer-Kate triangle, or Sun and Jin unoriginal relationship moments. Fair enough, we can intuit some of the answers to other questions. But the ones mentioned above deserved a proper development and explanation from the writers. And what they did instead was either offering a poor or careless insight or not even mentioning them. And that I can only class as a lack of respect to the faithful fans who accompanied the show for 6 years.

In the end, I am grateful for the emotional journey Lost turned out to be. But knowing what I know today, I probably wouldn't have watched it again, as what kept me hooked on it was the hope to find the answers for the questions I kept asking episode after episode. Now, 6 years later, those questions haven't been answered. And they never will be. Disappointing.
27 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lost: 6 years of my life
paris-2324 May 2010
I can't believe I was watching this for 6 years, probably because of the promise that in the next episode something would finally be answered...well, it got so complicated during these 6 seasons , that what everybody pretty much expected, was true:the writers had no idea of what was lost and how it would end, so they ended it in the cheesiest way possible, with no explanation to the most important question:what is the island?I mean, trying to describe lost in a sentence, to someone who never saw it before (is there anybody like that?), it's a plane crash on an island , and the survivors find out it's a weird place.Why is it weird?well, after six years, we only know that yes it is.The end.Why does it go back and forth in time/space?who are these people, why don't they die, are they ghosts , aliens, gods, what??? "we don't have time for this" , probably the favorite answer to everything between the losties. So much for the sci fi explanation promised by the writers to turn down all the proposed solutions by the fans.At this point probably all the explanations in the world would be stupid, so they decide not to include any at all.

Let it go...thanks for watching for 6 years, we made millions, now let it go, we don't care.The biggest TV prank of the decate, and most people say they get it and loved it!
122 out of 217 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just stunning
vinterback31 July 2013
I can't understand those who think this is a bad ending, it's absolutely amazing. It shows us why Lost has entertained us under six years, and how brilliant the writers are. If you say that there's a lot of loose ends and questions left you simply don't understand this episode, or the whole series and what it is about. The writers give us the opportunity to think by ourselves instead of having the characters spell it out, and that is another thing that separates this wonderful series from others. This episode makes a perfect ending for an incredible journey and I've could't imagined a better ending. Thank you, thank you so much
24 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Was kinda expecting..
alptaciroglu24 May 2010
Over the past 5 years that covering season 1 to 5, as we dig deeper in to the background of the island, we were shown how deep and complicated (in a good way) the background is. Storyline was so good that there was a possibility for each tiny scene to be a clue for us to catch. At least that was how I felt and thats why I thought myself as a "lost fan". Then we came to last season, leaving us with so many loose ends, I was wondering how are they gonna get connected to each other. Last season started with a parallel universe which was paired result of blowing the bomb had ended up either good or bad as the main characters(not audience)understood. But It was actually how the deception had begun. As we were keep going to "THE END" ,I feared It'll be a disappointment because I didn't feel as enthusiastic as other seasons while watching and LOST finally became not entertaining.

I cant believe how incapable the scenarists really were to come up with a better season6 so I'll just assume that they didn't really try. Here some examples why I'm so frustrated.

All the things that connect the island including Statue of Tawaret(Egyptian fertility goddess), ancient Egypt hieroglyphics, pictures of the black smoke with an ancient Egyptian god which I assume to be Anubis,they were just fancy illusions ,they were unrelated(though made me believe higher forces was in charge) and never explained. Why Man In Black was bullet proof and how he wasn't immortal anymore, how Jacob and MIB couldn't kill each other(Their mother made them so ? then how newly assigned Jacob incapable of doing so). How the island had healing powers(it could have saved Jack), why MIB turned into black smoke at the point he reached the light and why others did NOT ? Jacob died yet MIB couldn't still kill "candidates" and It was reasoned to us as there are rules.. WHO CAME UP WITH THE RULES? Why MIB had to obey the rules ? Whats the point of having someone to protect the island If the purpose of the island to be is to keep MIB inside as Jacob explained. Hurley said whats I'm gonna do next, I don't know and asked for Ben his help? What the .... How cant u possibly not know ? How did Jacob do ? He had foreseen many things so he could save Sayid from the very car that hit his girlfriend. How is that work ? New "Jacob" needs to live a thousand years to gain magical foresight powers ?U don't even need to bumble some Latin to assign a "new Jacob"? . OK I'm just quit writing. As I type I'm getting more frustrated. I'm sure I'll come up with a billion things that were a total disappointment to me. These were just 5 mins of thinking of questions that I wished had answered but instead they had just left unanswered.It was just really bad and had it coming.
102 out of 190 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A perfect ending, in a Lost sort of way
AustinLayne31 May 2010
I'm not going to give an overly-long analysis of the series.

I'm only going to say that The End is probably the best end to the best T.V. series I've ever seen.

For six years Lost was the only thing I watched. For six years I have been blown away, frustrated, entertained, satisfied, and emotionally exasperated by Lost.

The End is the best episode of the series. It satisfies emotionally, and for the most part, answers questions. It takes a good deal of swallowing The End whole and reflecting upon the series to understand exactly what happened, but I believe I understand most of the series now. In my opinion it wasn't cheesy, it was the only way Lost could possibly end, and,in a very Lost sort of way, it made perfect sense.
40 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible ending to a quality show
donniebruceco24 May 2010
Its not difficult to like Lost, as current TV shows go, its one of the best. The episodes preceding the finale had offered twists and turns, great character building, nice shocks and kept the audience guessing and wondering what was going on whilst providing entertainment at the same time.

However, the writers, who previously had done an excellent job, barring a few ridiculous plot-hole ridden, time travelling sequences in the weak Season 5, let themselves down in a big way. Unfortunately this is now the Lost legacy, all the great work that preceded was undone by an ending that stank of convenience. There were no risks taken, there were no questions answered, other than the alternate reality which only played a small part in the show was created by the "survivors" because they needed to be with each other. Why wrap up something so easily and neatly that based its whole existence on being a tangled web of interlocking story lines???

In movies and TV the single most lasting impression is how well the story is wrapped up, otherwise the preceding story lines can really have no weight as anybody can come up with wacky turns of events that leave questions, only the truly classy exponents of the writing art can explain these while leaving the audience satisfied and not left confused,making the viewer want to go back and see it all unfold again. Other than devout Lost fans I don't see anyone doing this, as there's nothing to see anymore, its all been a massive subterfuge to leave people guessing without giving any answers.

The writers should be ashamed of themselves, they had the chance to create the generations most memorable legacy for television and they blew it spectacularly. I can only hope the 24 writers don't do the same next week.
86 out of 162 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lost focus + Lost opportunity = a series ruined by lazy writing
jctundis25 May 2010
I'm already sick of the "romantic vs pragmatist" argument. I loved the earlier deaths of Jin and Sun and the refusal to be separated, the back and forth tug of war between Jack and Sawyer and their respective love interests, even the "sacrificial lamb" aspect of Jack's character. Kate's line "Christian Shepherd? Seriously?" will always remain high on my chart.

However, the writers failed as storytellers, serving up religious platitudes and schmaltzy reunions, all the while invalidating at least 60% of the series with self-conflicting ideas and plot holes that lead to the inexorable conclusion that they really had no idea where the story was going, and preferred to serve up "geek-chic" moments of coolness without any intention of tying things together in any way whatsoever. Just distraction after distraction until we're finally spoon-fed a useless "god loves you, and love conquers all" ending.

That kind of thing is fine after the events of a story have been sewn together. The failure of the writers is that they served up a dénouement without ever giving us any kind of ending, just random "cool" scenes. What a waste, destroying any interest I had in re-watching the series.

This really applies to the entire final season of Lost. Except for a 4 episodes, the rest of the season was filler.
75 out of 141 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
They died? really? i didn't know humans did that.
lyfzabytch24 May 2010
The producer's exact words at the start of the sixth season were "we want to finish the show with the intellectual and creative ending that the show deserves". This week's finale proved otherwise. First of all, let me get one thing straight. I love lost and I loved the sixth season except the finale. I am really disappointed by the writers. They didn't even try to tie up all the lose ends. They could have left the series in this state a couple of seasons ago. At the expense of sounding like a fanboy, I wanted the end to be epic. I wanted it to be definite. They really wasted a great show by ending it in a fashion which depicted laziness of the writers. But their were things I liked in the finale. For instance the various scenes where everyone remembered their time on the island. But they didn't build up to anything. I remember people joking after a few episodes of the first season that they have all died. Come on!. Also liked the scene where Loc knifed Jack because it was so unexpected thats what the series was all about. Another thing I didn't get was that in the plane kate, swayer and claire were the most important characters of the series and their ends were left out so heartlessly. I think the writers were unable to make the dual storyline meet in the end and they went for the most obvious approach to simply discard one. Making the last scene end where the series started wasn't very creative either. People are whining that the polar bears' issue didn't get settled and so on. The writers didn't even bother to answer major questions why would they waste their "precious" time on minor thing. Once again, really disappointed in the writers. They blew it. 6 years of build up and in the end we are still "lost".

Website: istaghini.blogspot.com
71 out of 135 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
just made me angry
mustainefan61924 May 2010
Easily the worst episode of the whole series. The on island activity is incredibly cheesy (one part looks like it is out of 300) and there an incredible amount of plot holes.

Literally nothing is explained in this episode and it seems that the writers couldn't explain such things as the island moving and the numbers and Walt, who played a central part in the first 2 series makes no appearance at all.

Parts of the episode are okay, such as when in the flash-sideways, they start to remember, but this is ruined by what i consider to be a pointless ending filled with many plot holes
67 out of 127 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great & frustrating: polarized words for a cult series.
bardevorok23 May 2010
I followed Lost since 2004; it began as an incredible journey, more promising than anything else seen on TV after a pilot episode (IMO).

Season 1 introduced the main characters (island included); season 2 got us into the hatch and Dharma Initiative; season 3 gave us the chance to know better about "the others"; season 4 brought hope, and for six of our friends it ended up well for a while; season 5 led the audience and the characters literally through time travel & sci fi approach; and then, season 6 introduced a parallel world, beautiful background of the island, ancient protagonists, all great, but - I swear it's painful to say - it did not end giving us the implicit answers we were promised all along these years...

I loved LOST, and I think I still do; however, it is hard to ignore the fact that if in a white neat shirt there is a little black spot, it will inevitable kidnap your attention, and depending on your "fan" level, it may consume you.

I do not plan to be consumed, specially after all those moving moments of reunion in the alternate reality that literally made me cry, but I must admit with my heart in pain that the last 5 minutes of the series were confusing, planned with nice intentions, but leaving the circle incomplete.

The island was meant to be one more character; the producers said so themselves, but did not honor that statement.

Once a pair of eyes opened; eventually they closed; much of what happened in between, specially the reason why it happened, is and will remain as a mystery... it's a shame.
67 out of 127 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful! Simply beautiful!
maltefugel24 May 2010
With this episode LOST has definitely found a fitting and above all satisfying ending which was thrilling and emotional at the same time. Season Finales always had the job to wrap up the season. Consequently, the series finale was supposed to wrap up the entire show. LOST was about emotions, about belief, about the conflict between science and religion, about sacrifices and so much more. The series finale managed to put all these aspects that made the show so great in one finale. Finally, the purpose of the Flash-Sideways was revealed and, at least for me, it was very satisfying. We have been wondering the entire season why they Flash-Sideways were introduced. Some people were even upset and said that it was a waste of time. But if you know what the show is really about, you will be very satisfied with the conclusion. Of course, everything on the island came to an end as well. The characters on the island are the ones that we spend the past 6 years with. They are the ones I care the most about. And they received the ending that they deserved.

I can't say it enough. "THE END" was satisfying and entertaining. This is what an amazing show like LOST deserves. Thank you, Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse for the amazing job that you have been doing for the last 6 years.

63 out of 119 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant ending to a great show.
gsic_batou24 May 2010
So it ends, with the two realities explained and not much else. What really is the light? Why would MIB leaving mean the destruction of the world? Those are unanswered questions, but the overall inclination of the ending is one of resolution for the characters more than any larger than life explanations and it works great! Why would the full answers be given? Human beings seem to be always looking for the answer to the perpetually unanswered question WHY?, so its well suited that the writers chose to focus on providing much needed closure to the character.

This shows finale is an amazing(and very long) episode filled with action, surprises and even a bit of poetic feeling.

I loved it!
88 out of 176 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Explained
sbisset24 May 2010
Well heres my 2 cents for anyone who didn't understand the ending, this will contain spoilers.

-People seem confused that they were all dead for the whole of season 6 because the flashes to the alternate reality started after the bomb went off. The bomb just put them back in the normal time line and stopped the flashes through time. They continued their lives from then onward but the alternate reality could have started at any point, it simply existed after they died as a way to reunite them.

-The light on the island was there to stop evil getting out into the world, it was more than likely created/found at some point long in the past by Egyptians etc and was just being maintained. Remember jacobs fake mum was on the island before the pregnant woman arrived, she was a remnant of the previous inhabitants making sure it was protected.

-The light turned MiB/Smoke monster guy into smoke because he wasn't a selected candidate when he entered and was characteristically flawed/evil. Jack survived, as would have jacob if he had chose to enter because he is the islands protector.

IMPORTANT!!>>>

-Desmond survived the light chamber because of his natural abilities. The island enhanced peoples natural abilities, eg, Hurley talking to dead people, Locke being able to walk, Miles talking to dead people, Rose not dying of cancer, Walt and his bird thing etc and most importantly desmond and his electromagnetic resistance.

-The smoke monster/MiB was vulnerable once the light was switched off because the light was previously supporting his life. He was inhabiting Lockes body because Locke broke the laws of nature (he died twice and kept his body twice, MiB wasn't allowed that so he hijacked the body when it was returned to the island). Without the light, the smoke abilities were cut off meaning his psyche/mind was trapped inside a mortal body which could die. Jack killed him during this time of susceptibility and then restored the light.

Hope thats helps, there'll probably be some trolls along soon to find more holes but that should answer most of them.
22 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oh boy, now i know how will the Bold and the Beautiful end :)
firkegaard24 June 2010
The End was the worst ending i've ever seen... Why? Because it could be the ending of ANY film/TV series... you name it we end it :) So they just all died, didn't they? OMG And nothing really mattered... You may ask ' wait a minute, what happened to the island???' for example. The answer would be: 'What island? They DIED, it was never about the island, it was about the people'... and what people ultimately do? Yes, they die :) And you know what? MIB was right, John was a sucker and so was I when I believed that the Lost would have a great ending...

I know many people have tons of questions left without an answer about the insignificant island and all, so ill just add 2:

1) If they all died and were in the afterlife, just didn't know it... Are the guys that Sayid killed (while being dead) really dead now? or dead dead, or dead square? Or maybe they weren't there? If so who was there if it wasn't them? Was Sayid really there? Not its THAT important, but it was kinda curious that u can be killed or hurt while being dead...

2) OK, White shirt protects the light of the island, because if its gone, its gone everywhere else, or something... Thats the story 'the mother' told to Jacob. The question: Why didn't she told him that the light could be switched back on? I feel it would be important to know things like that... Well, she probably told him this, just without any witnesses ( viewers ) :)

OK, one more. Since we can see Ben in the afterlife, i guess he wasn't evil, was he?? I mean he only killed how many people?? I don't even remember how many... The island would have absolutely no reason to keep his evil soul where its keeping all other evil people... right? Oh I forgot, what island?? It wasn't about the island, it was about the people :) And Ben was good in the end, its just we didn't see that happen...

I feel like i got one big lol in the face with this ending...
24 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a waste of 6 seasons but not a good ending
realtvhrdbfq-124 May 2010
First of all I'd like to declare that I was not really into Lost's mysterious stuff. Black smoke, hatch, numbers, time-traveling, electromagnetism, all this stuff were just decoration in first three seasons. But, after 3rd season finale, village atmosphere of the series is gone, writers emphasized on mysterious secrets of the island I, personally didn't care that much.

Lost is one of the classics because it reached our hearts, it touched our hearts. When Hurley distributed all the food in the hatch, audience was happy. When Jin found his father and made a confession to him, we were fascinated, because we watched something real, something belongs to this world. But I didn't like Kate, Jack and Sawyer becoming commandos at the end of 5th season. I didn't like writers incapability of explaining what the hell is this Jacob vs MIB thing. I didn't like the end.

First three seasons were great, maybe the greatest of all time. But after that, it wasn't good as it used to be.
31 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.