Burning (2021) Poster

(2021)

The title tells you everything you need to know
Erik_Stone18 December 2021
Lies at every opportunity.

My favorite lie is that Australia is, "exquisitely vulnerable to climate change." Lol.

If you think fires can be racist, and/or the current, senile, American President is great, you will love this film. It will give you a feeling that you know what is happening on the other side of the world, and more importantly, that you are correct.

It's not fun to watch if you like to see the world and the people burn through government mismanagement and tyranny, because this film teaches you how to do that.
1 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
nah much better out there
eamonnh-8946930 November 2021
Meh, gave up after 15 mins, as watching a 16 yr old on stage looking at her phone every time before she spoke, either say whats in your head/heart or dont bother, to just read out someone else's speech and expect me to listen, nah sorry.
6 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very thought provoking political film
queen_candace012 December 2021
This film was very well done in that it brought to light the truth on many questions I was asking about the whole ordeal of Australia being on fire the summer before this one. It was very informative and I appreciate that at least for once the truth was shown about a political figure (Morrison) instead of the documentary being flooded by positive propaganda on his behalf.

My two main issues with this film are 1- virtually no Indigenous Australians are shown (apart from a vacuous blanket statement made on their behalf-not by them- along with some happy propaganda in the film's opening, and an author's perspective in the last five minutes of the film). What was their perspective on the incident and what did they have to say? I suppose we'll never know. Not this time, anyway.

Secondly and lastly, I was absolutely appalled and disgusted when Daisy Jeffrey stated that climate change is {paraphrase} "the biggest catastrophe that has ever faced humanity." That comment was ignorant and quite narcissistic in itself- has Daisy never heard of colonization and scum like Leopold II of Belgium? It's individuals like that and those mentalities that decimated the Indigenous landscapes of the world, and have led us to this disparate place in which we find ourselves now. She should educate herself before making such crass, inconsiderate blanket statements, or she or her cause risk never being taken seriously by true activists and activism efforts.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thunberg fans will love it, realists probably won't
Chriper71 December 2021
Had the potential to be a great documentary about the lives of people affected by the fires in 2019, and how we could have better prepared by reducing the fuel load, and how such prescribed burning measures have been inhibited, especially by pressure from the Greens.

This documentary ended up just being more anthropogenic climate change propaganda. If you're a fan of Greta, you'll no doubt love it.
8 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Burning is a reckoning that Australia has to face
annemaree-990746 November 2021
I found it a little suspicious that this film garnered a very low IMDB score before it was given wide release in the cinemas. I watched Burning yesterday at the Sydney Film Festival where it was presented by Greg Mullins former Commissioner of Fire and Rescue NSW and climate activist. Orner's film follows three main themes, the science, history of fire in Australia, and the School children's Climate Strike, which unfold during Black Summer in 2019-2020 on the east coast of Australia. Burning presents salient interviews with scientist Tim Flannery who was the first and only head of the Climate Council before it was disbanded by conservative governments. The second theme follows the long career of Mullins who recalls how fires have changed leading up to the 2019 fires which were catastrophic. Burning depicts footage from inside the infernos in Cobargo, NSW, and Mallacoota, Victoria talking to survivors and residents. This footage is distressing, as is depiction of the destruction of billions of native and non-native animals. Burning also introduces the perspective of Aboriginal author, Bruce Pascoe, resident of Mallacoota. Young Daisy Jeffrey reflects on her experience at the forefront of the School Children's Climate Strike before and after Black Summer. Above all, the film is political: Burning does not shy away from how Australian conservative politicians minimised the effect of climate change on bushfires, and the Murdoch media created misinformation that the fires were deliberately lit and not at all related to climate change. A short history of the fossil fuel industry in Australia contextualises a pervasive sense of political denial that proved dangerous. Under Orner's guidance, these themes deftly intersect. Burning leaves you with a sense of sadness and rage. However, what could have been a depressing exercise is ultimately hopeful because of the actions of people, and not politicians. The final frame compares the land area burnt in Australia, to the land area burnt by fires in California and the Amazon which made the audience gasp.
25 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent documentary by an oscar winning producer
brucethomasphillips17 December 2021
I found it a scary yet interesting documentary, the scientists interviewed were reliable sources and I found it excellent overall. Definitely one to watch. Those poor animals burnt in the fire and poor people who lost everything due to the climate change denying politicians in govt. (Scott Morrison). I hope this makes people think about the way they vote.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worth watching
hello-119453 December 2021
This hit home for me as I remember the skies turning red and ash falling from the sky on my parents property in southern NSW, on New Years Eve. We gathered around the tv to watch the news as country burned and it was surreal and devastating.

This film is not only informative but it also tells a story of how things got to where they are today based on past actions. It gives hope for a brighter future if we have the right people steering the ship. Thanks for an excellent film on climate change.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Came across this by accident - very powerful
andrekorte28 November 2021
Great movie, well researched and brought to live. Eye opening for me, and I hope for many others.

The personal stories form individuals in this movie really bring the problems we are facing to live.
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mostly politics 3 months out from an election.
youngtube6 December 2021
Similar to others, was expecting stories on the people really impacted, the drama, the heroes, the pain, the unity. Instead it's 90 mins of "ScoMo is the enemy." Don't necessarily disagree with everything, but months out from an election, it's so obvious its lost all credibility. Nope.
3 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mixed review
hylander1238 December 2021
As an Australian who lives in Victoria, it was an absolutely devastating event that will scar our countries history forever. I learnt things from the documentary that were very eye opening.

I am not an overly political person but it seemed like a bit of a cheap shot at times on Scott Morrison and his team. The greens need to take some ownership of this catastrophe for not allowing controlled burns to clean up the scrub so that it is not so dense. These was no mention of this at all.

I expected to see a documentary more focused on the fires rather than protests and backlash against the prime minister. Both parties have failed in looking after climate change.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An uncomfortable truth
AlejandroTMtz10 December 2021
Although some of the comments refer to the fact that the documentary is highly politicised if it is and if it intends to convince people that there has to be a change, indeed it must be. We do not realise it, but even from the anthropocentric point of view, let's do something to change this since if it has not affected us until now, it will affect us in the future and not so far away. Bravo for this documentary and bravo for the intention to change minds, tainted by dirty money and cheap politics.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.