Muppets Haunted Mansion (2021) Poster

(2021 TV Special)

Poor Kermit
christopherbjones9 October 2021
What in the name of cheap awfulness has happened to Kermit's voice. I was enjoying the film until Kermit spoke. Even our 4-year-old questioned it. My wife's impression of Kermit is better, and her impression is awful.

Disney need to rectify this. Never before has their character integrity been this poor. It's nothing like him.
32 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing
ncfjyyjt9 October 2021
I was really looking forward to this....but I have to say I was so incredibly bored. The writing was predictable, which is to be expected with The Muppets, but it was lacking the charm that usually makes that okay. There were a lot of celebrity cameos, but they weren't even that interesting. Honestly, I was most excited to see Pat Sajak, just because it was so random and woke me up for a second. I always enjoy Will Arnett, but it felt like they thought the humor you get from his Will Arnettness would be enough to carry this special. It just felt tired.

The absolute worst part was Kermit's voice! I really couldn't get over it. Sooo many people can do a better Kermit. I don't even know how they make a muppet movie thinking that a bad impression is okay. Seriously, the next time you do this, hold a YouTube contest or something to find a new Kermit. I guarantee you can do better.
28 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just Meh.
olelmao19 October 2021
First thing I noticed was Kermit's voice. It wasn't like his normal one. I didn't really understand what was happening in this film, felt like there was no story. Bang average.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Painful.
Winter_Stardust8 October 2021
Disney really screwed the Muppets over with the newer voice actors. After firing Steve Whitmire, Gonzo is no longer paired with Rizzo but with Pepe the Prawn, and there's no chemistry between the characters. And thank goodness Kermit doesn't show up much, his voice actor is awful.

The songs aren't too bad, nice nods to the original Haunted Mansion song, too. The story is okay, it's nice that Gonzo is the main focus, and the cameos and guest stars are okay.

But overall it just feels like a cheap imitation of the Muppets. At the very least they could have gotten another voice actor closer to Whitmire's style and kept Rizzo.

Kids might like it for some family friendly fun, but for lifelong fans of the Muppets, it's a disappointment.
37 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
52 Minutes of Disappointment
julieizatt22 October 2021
I had such high hopes for this as I love the Haunted Mansion attraction and have generally enjoyed The Muppets over the years.

We didn't even make it 10-15 minutes into this before we were reaching for the remote to turn it off. I gave it two more tries and forced myself to finish it before officially passing judgment.

It is just not funny.

Kermit's voice was awful - nothing close to how Kermit has been voiced over the years. That was a little off-putting and thankfully Kermit's appearance throughout was limited.

Gonzo and Pepe do not have the same comedic play and mesh as Gonzo and Rizzo. The "jokes" fell flat 99% of the time. The celebrity appearances felt as if they were put in just to say they had celebrities in the special. It relied too much on CGI instead of skilled puppetry. The story line was poorly written and the nods to the ride while nice, could have been levied so much better.

It felt as if this whole special was a cheap knock-off of a cheap knock-off.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lazy
taustn14 October 2021
We have seriously lost something here and its truly sad. We've gone from seeing things like Kermit riding a bike (Which was an impressive feat of puppeteering) to having muppets whos mouths dont move at the time as the voice over and CGI flames on a candle stick. I found myself asking questions like, Where is Rizzo? Who is Pepper? (Its Pepe) and why doesnt Kermit sound anything like, well Kermit? I really don't think Jim Henson would have let this pass, There are far too many points where CGI is used instead of puppeteering. Over all this just feels lazy. If this is the future of the Muppets I am saddened to see something that really was special cheapened so much.
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved most of it but Matt Vogel is not it.
deadshyguy8 October 2021
Matt Vogel might actually be the worst thing to happen to Kermit the Frog. Jacksfilms on Youtube does a better Kermit voice and he did it as a parody 🙄, Disney really isn't listening and neither is Jim Henson's son who clearly has have no respect for Henson's legacy.
28 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Massive opportunity missed
chawkins24-353-1492148 October 2021
Unfortunately this was a massive let down! Disney missed a huge opportunity to make another classic like The Muppets Christmas Carol... but have fallen way off the mark.
18 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cute and fun but missing something.
csteinmayer-2514110 October 2021
Overall this was cute and entertaining. The songs were good and the puppetry was alright. Unfortunately these later Muppet outings will never live up to what the original artists could deliver. Doubt that? Go and watch the original The Muppet Show, or The Muppet Movie. In this case, Kermit was all wrong. His voice was so far off as to be almost unrecognizable. Bring back Steve Whitmire! At least his Kermit voice was close to Jim Hensons. Miss Piggy was also off, not just the voicing, her character was missing all of its nuance. At least we had Dave Goelz there for Gonzo.
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
That...that was not Kermit the Frog
Tgregory198910 October 2021
The special was fine. Pepe seems to get more exaggeratedly Spanish every time we see him. He's hilarious but not a replacement for Rizzo. Gonzo is great, albeit getting older and less animated or excitable. All of these things are easy to overlook.

Except for Kermit.

Who was that? I understand they couldn't use the same muppeteer as they have in the past. But I swear any stranger off the street could do a better Kermit than the person currently at the helm. Something is just flat out wrong. And it's jarring and distracts from the magic of the muppets.

Disney: correct this. It's a sacrilege.
16 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Forced and disappointing
cbroszeit10 October 2021
This had so much potential and ended up being an uninspired mess. Disney is wasting the Muppets.
14 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
2 Die 4
coderinos8 October 2021
Dun-dun-dun! Dun-dun!

Lifelong Muppet fan here and I have to say, I loved this special! I smiled the whole time and thought the jokes and the puns were great! You won't find any better family viewing fun this Halloween season, with this going in my must watch category for every Halloween to come! Thank you Disney+ and Muppets Studio!
26 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just not good
hpcmakeup1 November 2021
They needed more Kermit and Miss Piggy. It was way too slow and dark for my daughter and the whole part with Taraji is terribly boring and not funny or cute, just useless. It would have been way better with all the muppets and more fun..not just Gonzo walking down dark hallways.

It really is at most a 5.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cute and funny!!
evanotten-350038 October 2021
Lots of great references to the ride while also adding fun new twists with the muppets.
23 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing
brookscountry10 October 2021
Although it has that Muppets feel, I can't get past Kermit's voice. Sounds nothing like Kermit the frog.
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Such a letdown
olivia_grace-7353610 October 2021
A Muppet Christmas Carol and Muppet Treasure Island hold such a special place in my heart. They're genuinely great movies. So I was so excited to see that this was happening! (Plus Darren Criss is in it!) But this was just...not good in any way. There's nothing I can give them props for. And what's worse, it felt like they didn't even try. There's hardly even a story here. They half-heartedly threw in a moral that they didn't flesh out as if that would make it good. I'm so disappointed.
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So boring, it's scary
BijouTheatre9 October 2021
Welcome, Foolish Mortals, to an uninspired mess of lazy writing and sluggish songs. Oddly dark jokes about being possessed and room 666 are mashed together with a preschool-level message about facing one's fears, which leaves viewers with This Chilling Challenge: to find an appropriate audience.

More grim than grinning, this Disney+ special should've been a brilliant combination of Muppet wit and Haunted Mansion in-jokes and atmosphere. A few clever throwaway jokes will appeal to ride aficionados like myself, but those are jokes based on the classic Disney attraction. Viewers without a decent knowledge of the ride and its history won't get the references, and the screenplay is otherwise dull and forgettable.

Theme-park fans know how Marc Davis and Rolly Crump famously needed several years to perfect the right mix of macabre and funny moments for the ride itself. They got it right, but Muppet Haunted Mansion suggests what could have happened if those Imagineers had gotten it wrong.

Watch this only if you can't find anything better to stream.
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Both better and worse than I expected
ccssocks9 October 2021
Muppet Christmas Carol is my favourite movie of all time and I absolutely love the Muppets (and the Haunted Mansion is one of my favourite Disneyland rides) so I was both excited and nervous to watch this special.

I really enjoyed the first half -- the songs are fun and quite catchy, there are some pretty good moments and jokes (the goat's appearances made me laugh out loud) but the second half was really strange and creepy -- and not in a fun way. It definitely doesn't deliver the same level of pure joy as Muppet Christmas Carol but, to be fair, that is a high bar to meet.

Also, not enough Rizzo.

(I also miss Steve Whitmire's performances but sounds like they're better off without him, here's a paragraph from Wikipedia on his dismissal: "Brian Henson stated that issues with Whitmire began in the mid-1990s, and said that Whitmire would make "outrageous demands and often played brinkmanship", and additionally stated that Whitmire would "send emails and letters attacking everyone, attacking the writing and attacking the director". He also expressed guilt for not dismissing Whitmire and recasting Kermit before selling the Muppets to Disney in 2004, because "I knew that it was going to be a real problem". Lisa Henson stated that Whitmire was opposed to having an understudy for Kermit and refused to train one, which became problematic when it came to "B-level performances, such as a ribbon-cutting," at some of which she said he was unwilling to appear. She also stated that he "blackballed young performers" by refusing to appear in shows with them.")
11 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Songs, songs and more songs...
mart-md10 October 2021
Walt Disney ruin The Muppets like everything else.
10 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst Muppet Movie in a while
heypastortrevor16 October 2021
I don't usually write reviews but I love the muppets and had to do my part to make sure they do better next time. Kermit doesn't even sound like Kermit. It's as if they didn't even try. There were some funny parts and scary ones for the kiddos. I would say those who aren't familiar with the Muppets movies might have a different opinion, but for those of us who have come to expect a certain level of excellence from the franchise this one falls WAY short. It feels disjointed and thrown together to make a buck. Again my biggest complaint is they didn't even try to make Kermit sound like... well... Kermit.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cheesy, boring, painful
pierrelevenerable15 October 2021
Very low level jokes, ethnic quotas duly filled, high school play level acting, perfect for two digit IQs. If you hate your children, have them watch this audio-visual filth.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Swinging and a Big Miss
resipsaloquitor-86-78437912 October 2021
It's too bad that Disney took two good things and managed make a horrible movie out of them. On one hand we have The Muppets Christmas Carol and on the other hand this movie. They are not even in the same class of shows. Sorry Disney, but there should have been more oversight on this one. You had one shot and failed.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Atleast it's better than Muppets Now
dudeguy-2953614 October 2021
Muppets Haunted Mansion isn't a perfect Halloween special but you have to admit it resolves a lot of problems from Muppets Now. The jokes are better, the characters aren't off, the celebrities aren't a waste of time and actually have decent acting, the sets looked neat, and it even references the original Muppet Show. If there is one thing I don't like about this special it's obviously Matt Vogel doing Kermit the Frog's voice but Kermit doesn't have a main role here so it's not very distracting. This special mostly did a solid job. It may not be the Kermit we wanted or the quality of a Muppet movie from the Jim Henson era, but it atleast solves a lot of the problems that Muppets Now had. So I'm fine with it.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Such a disgrace to Jim Henson and my favorite on screen puppets- also please bring Steve Whitmire back
aidanratesmovies8 October 2021
My love of the Muppets stems from a very young age and it's incredibly hard to watch what Disney has done to them in the last few years especially. I loved Jason Segal's take on the Muppets back in 2011 as well as it's sequel Muppets Most Wanted. I even enjoyed the ABC Muppet show to some degree, even though I knew it wasn't nearly as good as their other works in the past. Recently though with Disney's run of Muppets Now and now the Muppets Haunted Mansion special, it has gone incredibly downhill. What I loved about the muppets wasn't just the charm they exuded in nearly every special, every movie, and every episode- but also the dedication to the craft and characters that made each piece of their work at least a little unique.

What's so disappointing about Muppets Haunted Mansion is that they finally had their chance to step up again, and now they have completely blown that. The special is unfortunately a formulaic and tiresome little piece of muppet entertainment that seems to imitate the spirit of past works, without having any of the charm whatsoever. The puppet work is as good as ever, but the needless display of cheap CGI gimmicks takes away the magic that these performers used to hold dear. The celebrity cameos also feel incredibly forced this time around for the most part, and hold no significant value other than to show off what Disney can afford on screen. I will have to say though, Will Arnett's character, as predictable as it can be at times- is quite fun to watch- and his dedication to the character is easily some of the best parts of the special in total.

Finally, I'll talk about the voicework- of which I'm vastly disappointed in. Some returning voice performers from the more recent muppet films are fine, but it's incredibly heartbreaking to see Disney has still not reversed their decision in firing Stdeve Whitmire. Kermit sounds horrible in this special, and I'm not exaggerating, it's honestly the worst portrayal of him ever. Seth MacFarlene has a better Kermit voice than the new voice actor, and it's incredibly painful to see Disney play this off like nothing has changed when Kermit is clearly the heart and soul of the muppets since the very beginning.

In the end, the special has its entertaining moments- but it's too formulaic, too heartbreaking, and too commercial to truly enjoy. In the end, the muppets most recent special is most certainly a dud, and I hope Disney can finally learn from their mistakes in dealing with Jim Henson's beloved creations in the future.

My Rating: 3/10.
78 out of 185 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mumblecore Muppets?!
Angry_Santa11 October 2021
Disney's handling of the take-over of Muppet franchise couldn't have been handled any more ham-fistedly.

We now have insipid characters muttering insipid lines in insipid voices - absolutely zero of the joie de vivre which shone through every element of the original Muppets.

I'm glad I still have the DVDs of the original show for my grandchildren to enjoy (though I am mightily miffed that they haven't re-mastered them to HD BluRay). I feel sorry for the kids who're being forced to view this "new age" tripe with precisely zero worth.
12 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.