Gravity (2013) Poster

(2013)

1,488 Reviews
The Most Visually Stunning Film Of 2013
CalRhys27 July 2014
Truly epic in scale! Whilst 'Gravity' falls short against films like '2001: A Space Odyssey', it is a tense and visually stunning thriller from Alfonso Cuarón. Cuarón is one of my all-time favourite directors, and this CGI-heavy project just boasts skill and ingenuity from the director, DOP and VFX artist. The critics stated that you would be gripping to the edge of your seats, this is true in every aspect, the film is full of intense and thriller situations with amazing performances from Sandra Bullock and George Clooney. Just shy from winning Best Picture over '12 Years a Slave', 'Gravity' left the Oscars with 7 Academy Awards to its name, and it deserved each and every one of them. A masterpiece that allows the viewer to become immersed within the scene to often thrilling effect.
211 out of 334 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A visual technical and directorial achievement, but there is much more to 'Gravity' than those things
TheLittleSongbird8 June 2017
To me, 'Gravity' may not quite the masterpiece that it has been touted to be, though the critics and positive reviews do a fantastic job summing up the film's merits. However, while it is easy to see why some won't like it it is nowhere near as bad from personal opinion as the negative reviewers say. It is nowhere near the worst film ever and not deserving of a 1/10 rating with the visuals, effects and direction being such an achievement, the trend to bash critics and those who agree with the general consensus has also become extremely annoying.

Alfonso Cuaron is is an extremely talented director, all his films to date have proved that. 'Children of Men' is especially good and one of the best films of the decade, have always have had a huge soft spot for 'A Little Princess', 'Y Tu Mama Tambien' is not for everyone but for me it was a near-masterpiece, 'Prisoner of Azkaban' is one of the best directed films of the 'Harry Potter' franchise and as polarising as 'Gravity' is there is no denying that Cuaron's direction and the visuals were exceptional. 'Gravity' may be my second least favourite film of his, with 'Prisoner of Azaban', still very good, faring least, this is saying little and is testament to Cuaron's talent.

'Gravity' does fall short of perfection. Its weak spot is the script, it does tend to ramble, feel manufactured and cheesy and doesn't do an awful lot to make the characters more than mere clichés. The story doesn't always grip with a few slow, dull spots, and the ending puzzles.

However, as said already in this review and by previous reviews (acknowledged in most less than positive postings, 'Gravity' is a triumph visually and technically. The cinematography is tremendous, quite possibly the most beautiful and best shot film of 2013. The setting is striking and the special effects are a marvel. Cuaron's direction is exceptional, some of the best he has ever done, a master of visuals and mood.

With that being said, 'Gravity' has much more to it than the visuals and direction. The music is an incredible fit, it's haunting, sweeping and breathtakingly beautiful. A good deal of the story is gripping, with intimacy, tension and great emotional impact.

Sandra Bullock gives one of her finest performances here and gives the film a certain grace, while George Clooney has a cool calmness that fits his role perfectly. Ed Harris is also impressive.

Overall, an achievement visually, technically and directorially, but despite its faults 'Gravity' is much more than those things. 8/10 Bethany Cox
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A stellar space film that is literally about space and vertigo and survival--fiction, but not science fiction
secondtake19 October 2013
Gravity (2013)

A ridiculously visual movie. The photography is astonishing. Astonishing. Add to that a story that never relents with suspense and emotional intensity and you have a remarkable movie.

The idea of being under constant stress, worrying for your main characters, should not be new if you know the director Alfonso Cuaron's previous major film, "Children without Men." And like that film, he works with his same cameraman, Emmanuel Lubezki, who has become a co-conspirator in his films. That's a good thing. This movie is a visual stunner. Yes, it has a lot of "effects" if you can call them that, but that have such visual coherence they remain logical and reasonable, even as they tip into the fabulous. It's an achievement.

Sandra Bullock is the main character here, even more than her co-lead George Clooney. And she's pretty amazing. You might think she doesn't get much room to stretch her abilities, trapped in space the whole time, but this is exactly where it shows how good she is. Even when she's talking to herself she makes it real, and moving, not a canned or cheesy sentimental or filler kind of moment. Clooney is also strong, playing the more experienced astronaut to a T, including his enduring calm in crisis.

Once you are done watching and leave the theater (or stand up from your couch) you might actually feel disoriented. Certainly in 3-D (and I saw it in the IMAX version) the effects are visceral. But looking back in the light of day you might also ask what the movie was about. Or rather, if it was about anything more than the one, relentless trajectory of surviving a series of near-death mishaps.

The answer is no. And that's a strength. It's definitely good that the writers (including the director) did not push the sentimentality too hard (there's a little). And there is no great sense of finding God or discovering your inner self. No, this is a survival film as gripping and down to earth (haha) as the vivid "Grey." No distractions here.

Except the visuals. Even in 2-D this must be something to marvel at. The 3-D was really really good, and this might seem odd to say given the theatrical mechanics of the camera and exploding spacecraft, but it's also really subtle. There are few moments (memorable ones, like Bullock's tears) where the dimensional aspects come forward. But the film basically uses the 3-D effects to enhance what is already there, nothing more. This of course, enhances a lot, but in respect to the story.

The photography is remarkable for the long takes at work, including the almost laugh- out-loud spectacular first long scene where Bullock and Clooney are doing spacewalks. The intelligence of how the camera pulls you into the scenes, with fluidity and without breaks (no edits, no cuts), is both beautiful and effective. There are even moments that are so virtuosic you wonder how they even thought they could do it, let alone then do and succeed.

The best example for me was watching Bullock spinning against the fixed starry sky, then the camera pulls closer and seamlessly starts to spin until the spinning becomes the same as Bullock's. The camera continues its approach, getting in on her helmet with reflections, and her face, and then finally her eye (yes that close), and with an incredibly deft wide angle swing we are in her head, looking out at the spinning universe, listening to her panic. Then the camera reverses and undoes all of this, step by fluid step. It takes a really long time, it happens without a single break (which means you are given no emotional escape), and it's both gorgeous and taut with terror.

There have been some questions raised about the feasibility of the various events--the different orbits of the real shuttle and space station, or the high speed of the spacewalker in a jetpack, or getting a visual on a space station 100 miles away--but you have to just let all that go. It doesn't really matter. It's not about likelihood on any level. And the movie is so accurate in so many ways it will seem very conceivable.

It's hard to imagine not liking this movie on one level or another. No, it isn't crazily imaginative like a Tarantino or Coen film, and it doesn't work its way into social or psychological significance, but what it deliberately does focus on is flawless.

a postscript: be sure to see the Cuaron directed parallel short film "Aningaaq" which is recently posted all over. Google it.
88 out of 140 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stars in Space
littlemartinarocena13 October 2013
Visually stunning. A real first in the technical department and presumably that was the extent of its intent. None of the great themes of Kubrick's 1968 masterpiece "2001: A Space Odyssey", are present here. This is a superlative, 90 odd minutes of remarkable beauty but the 90 odd minutes become really long because, just like the heroine we have so little to cling on to, story wise. It seems petty to criticize a film of this kind for whatever it doesn't accomplish because what it means to accomplish, it does in spectacular fashion. I just felt that I was served a glorious appetizer without a main course. Two huge stars in space Sandra Bullock and George Clooney. Why? If the idea was to dazzled us with something we had never seen before, great unknown actors would have added an extra something. Kubrick used Keir Dullea in "2001: A Space Odyssey", yes, Keir Dullea, or as Noel Coward put it, Keir Dullea, gone tomorrow. We know that if Sandra Bullock was in charge she, one way or another, will land safely. She's terrific, don't get me wrong, but I wasn't as worried about her as I should have been. The last problem was the score. Why? A standard horror/action flick musical score with cheap shots here and there. I think the purity of the work needed to be extended on every department. Now, putting all that aside, director Alfonso Cuaron must be applauded and I strongly recommend you to run and see it in the biggest screen you can find and in 3D.
47 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
GRAVITY....You Don't SEE It....But You Sure as Heaven EXPERIENCE It!
KissEnglishPasto11 January 2022
Long Live Alfonso Cuaron! Que Viva Alfonso Cuaron! In just a few hundred words, I will now try to do the film, its director and cast (Sandra Bullock & George Clooney), justice!

"The Seventh Art" is a term that seems to have fallen into disuse during the past 20 or 30 Years. GRAVITY's director, Alfonso Cuaron (Children of Men), has not only resuscitated, but also reinvented it, adding a signature spin all his own!

Where is it written that a movie's commercial success is almost always inversely proportionate to its artistic, Intellectual and aesthetic quality? GRAVITY, most certainly, brings to mind the adage, "The exception proves the rule!" .

When this review was being written, Gravity was rated 8.5 on IMDb, with 184,000 Votes, placing it in the all-time film top 75, just behind The LION KING and just ahead of REQUIEM FOR a DREAM! OK... Now, some Years later, it has slipped to a 7.7 Rating. Not GREAT-But surely Very Good!

Truly great films are both original and work on multiple levels. How, specifically, does this one manage so much in just 90 minutes? Alfonso Cuaron's artisitic and poetic visuals enable us to view his reality through the eyes of a cinematic genius. A glimmering tear, floating aimlessly, impacts the viewer with a Tsunami of emotion. The breathtaking, yet surreal, backdrop of hovering earth and stars provides an ever-present reminder of both our relative insignificance on a cosmic scale and the fleetingness of our problems, however transcendent they may seem to us in the moment......

GRAVITY communicates more via imagery and resourceful, subtle, yet intense acting, than it does through dialog. Here, the dialog mostly serves as a buffer, a veneer, to calm and disguise extremely turbulent inner-emotions. Some of life's great tragedies.... are framed in the most insipid of words. . .

There is genuinely something for everyone here. If gut-wrenching is what you seek, there are some chaotic, frenetic and viscerally charged moments. Almost forgot to mention, GRAVITY's use of 3-D is never over-the-top, in-your-face, nor employed gratuitously. It is deftly and strategically used to highlight on-screen occurrences, not to detract from them or be the sole or even central focus, per se.....

Bullock's character, Dr. Stone, who at first seems utterly driven to achieve perfection, is, in reality, locked into a self-induced drone like state of professional isolation, resulting from a profound loss she seemingly refuses to come to terms with. The intense innner-conflict this causes her....and Bullock's ability to involve the audience in her character's catharsis translates into moments of overwhelming poignancy.........

Why is her performance Oscar worthy? Ms. Bullock literally carries the entire last half of the movie solely on her shoulders! Her performance is tersely awe-inspiring. Very few Hollywood actresses could pull this off!

And to think that initially she wasn't on the short list for the role!

George Clooney's character, larger-than-life, veteran astronaut Matt Kowalski, is the jovial kind of guy who can be a bit of an ***hole at times, but amazes you with his simple selfless professionalism when it really counts. In this supporting role, the on screen platonic chemistry with Sandra Bullock is absolutely uncanny. Honestly, some of the very best I have ever seen. .

Lastly, in addition to gut-grabbing, heart-involving and mentally engaging...GRAVITY does what only one film in a 1,000 manages...It captures your soul! Some really fine films try to provide the right answers. After experiencing GRAVITY, you'll be asking yourself many of the right questions.....

ENJOY! / DISFRUTELA! ....10********** !!!
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
All hype!
oxford-6829010 July 2021
This sums up what I felt about this movie. Clooney and bullock get stranded in space... that is it!! I couldn't get it past my head that they were playing characters. Most bizzare viewing experience I have ever had watching a movie. Amazing how many people fell for the hype.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gravity isn't just a movie, it's an experience
cricketbat21 September 2018
Gravity isn't just a movie, it's an experience. It's an experience of sight, it's an experience of sound and it's an emotional experience, as well. This film makes you feel like you are drifting among the stars, instead of just showing you a story set in space. The visual effects are unique, awe-inspiring and terrifying, and while the plot is simple, there is beauty in its simplicity. I've never seen a movie quite like Gravity.
41 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good, but let's not say it's completely realistic...
nmstormchase4 October 2013
The visuals for this movie are impressive. The story line is enjoyable, and it leaves you appreciating your place on Earth. The characters also provide some good laughs.

It was one of the better 'space' movies. However, as a geek (I know, I know it's a movie) the orbits are all wrong for some of the events to even remotely take place. So if you know anything about space travel, as usual suspend disbelief for the moment. It at least stayed largely true to the no sounds in space thing, and provides some good lessons about linear and angular momentum. The fact I even get to bring this up, means I give the film makers some serious props... I wouldn't go so far as some of the reviews where they says the movie is creating a whole "new genre". The reviewers and movie makers just never realized, until now, what us geeks knew all along... space is much more awesome and frightening if you portray it more realistically.

Hopefully the movie also provides a good reminder about how special this little rock is, and how unforgivable the rest of the universe is. Let's try and keep our planet that way! At least I was reminded of this when I left the theater.
272 out of 492 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A celebration of nature
damata-dg19 October 2013
It's pointless to talk about the technical and artistic values of this movie. It's obvious, and it's inevitable not to be amazed by it, from photography to acting (kudos for Sandra Bullock, especially). What I would like to point out is the movie's meaning. I just got out of the theater and I'm still in awe, and what really got to me, beneath all the visuals and everything, is that this is the ultimate movie about nature. It's a celebration of the complexities of nature, about how we, as human beings, are so insignificant and weak facing it. We are a tiny little thing among a vast system that's beyond our control. This movie is a study on the humanity's place in the universe, so it's a call for us to face the "larger picture" humbly, and see how our lives, our societies, our achievements and our problems are NOT as important as they seem to be. Look further, your life will seem very fragile. At the same time - and that's the brilliance of the movie - Gravity is a celebration of the human being, because even though we are in fact very insignificant, it is our will to life, and our effort to make our lives meaningful, that make us matter. This is now my favorite movie ever, because it's so rare to find a movie, especially a Hollywood one, that can speak so deeply, so poetically and so subtly about life, the universe, and everything, in 91 minutes with such astonishing grace and artistic honesty.
182 out of 338 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gravity -- much more than a space movie!
aquaphoenix15 April 2016
Gravity pulled me in right from the start!! The cinematography of Earth and space is stunningly breathtaking!!! The CGI was flawless, lending the impression of actually being there. I can't remember ever being pulled into a film so completely and thoroughly.

Gravity is a film that takes place in space, but it is SO much more than just a space movie. I identified with Sandra Bullocks character on a couple levels and I felt like I was in her place at the final scene.

Gravity. It pulls us down. It places us solidly where we are. It defines us. There is no escaping the reality...although sometimes we try. Sometimes all we need to do is let go and let gravity bring us home...

Questions that the film conjured in me: Where do we escape? What causes us to awaken? How do we pick up ourselves against the weight of the world and learn to walk again? Who are we really when we are stripped down to our core?

To feel the pain, the fear, the loss of dreams amidst each breath. To try again. To never give up. To heal. To dare embrace life. To love...
36 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Don't Trust Film Critics
vinceb-37 October 2013
Astonishing that this movie has received rave reviews from virtually every film critic in America. The movie-going public never surprises me; they view trips to the theater like trips to a theme park. But critics? Isn't part of their job to review the plot and screenplay? Gravity is terrible in both regards, and obviously I'm in the minority, but those elements are crucial when I watch a movie. I almost begin to wonder if the fix is in with certain movies, and critics are under pressure to deliver good reviews. Probably not, and I can only feel alienated when a movie--one with absolutely no brains--unanimously impresses professional film critics.
286 out of 556 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"The best space film ever done" - James Cameron
rubenpallan20 September 2013
Indeed the best space film ever done. This film transports you to space in every cinematic way possible. The visual effects are so brilliantly executed it makes you wonder if they shot part of it in space. Incredibly effective long takes throughout the film bring the realism and suspense that none other space film has ever done before. The acting is subtle and engaging. Sandra Bullock deserves another Oscar after this as well as best director for Alfonso Cuaron and Cinematography for Emmanuel Lubezki. I can't recommend this film enough. Ground breaking, beautiful and technically perfect. Film schools will be studying this film in the future.
698 out of 1,405 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
GRAVITY....You Don't SEE It....But You Sure as Heaven EXPERIENCE It!
elgringopastuso29 August 2016
Long Live Alfonso Cuaron! Que Viva Alfonso Cuaron! In just a few hundred words, I will now try to do the film, its director and cast (Sandra Bullock & George Clooney), justice. "The Seventh Art" is a term that seems to have fallen into disuse during the past 15 or 20 years. GRAVITY's director, Alfonso Cuaron (Children of Men), has not only resuscitated, but also reinvented it, adding a signature spin all his own. Where is it written that a movie's commercial success is almost always inversely proportionate to its artistic, intellectual and aesthetic quality? GRAVITY, most certainly, brings to mind the adage, "The exception proves the rule!"

As this review is being written, Gravity is rated 8.5 on IMDb.com, by 184,000, placing it in the all-time film top 75, just behind The LION KING and just ahead of REQUIEM FOR a DREAM. Truly great films are both original and work on multiple levels. How, specifically, does this one manage so much in just 90 minutes? Alfonso Cuaron's poetic visuals enable us to view his reality through the eyes of a cinematic genius. A glimmering tear, floating aimlessly, impacts the viewer with a Tsunami of emotion. The breathtaking, yet surreal, backdrop of hovering earth and stars provides an ever-present reminder of both our relative insignificance on a cosmic scale and the fleetingness of our problems, however transcendent they may seem to us in the moment.

GRAVITY communicates more via imagery and resourceful, subtle, yet intense acting, than it does through dialog. The dialog here mostly serves as a buffer, a veneer, to calm and disguise extremely turbulent inner-emotions. Some of life's great tragedies are framed in the most insipid of words.

There is genuinely something for everyone here. If gut-wrenching is what you seek, there are some chaotic, frenetic and viscerally charged moments. Almost forgot to mention, GRAVITY's use of 3-D is never over- the-top, in- your-face nor employed gratuitously. It is deftly and strategically used to highlight on-screen occurrences, not to detract from them or be the sole focus, per se.

Bullock's character, Dr. Stone, who at first seems utterly driven to achieve perfection, is in reality locked into a self-induced drone like state of professional isolation, resulting from a profound loss she seemingly refuses to come to terms with. The inner conflict this causes her and Bullock's ability to involve the audience in her character's catharsis translates into moments of overwhelming poignancy. .

Why is her performance Oscar worthy? Ms. Bullock literally carries the entire last half of the movie solely on her shoulders and her performance is tersely awe-inspiring. Very few Hollywood actresses could pull this off. And to think that initially she wasn't on the short list for the role! George Clooney's character, larger-than-life, veteran astronaut Matt Kowalski, is the jovial kind of guy who can be a bit of an ***hole at times, but amazes you with his simple selfless professionalism when it really counts. In this supporting role, the on screen platonic chemistry with Sandra Bullock is uncanny. Honestly, some of the best I have ever seen.

Lastly, in addition to gut-grabbing, heart-involving and mentally engaging… Gravity does what only 1 film in a 1,000 manages…It captures your soul! Some really fine films try to provide the right answers. After experiencing GRAVITY, you'll be asking yourself many of the right questions. ….ENJOY/DISFRUTELA!

Any comments, questions or observations, in English o en Español, are most welcome!.....
33 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
In Space No One Can Hear You Scream
gregsrants14 September 2013
Arguably the best tagline for a movie EVER, "In space no one can hear you scream" Alien's "In space no one can hear you scream" tagline is arguably the best tagline for a movie of all-time. That same tagline could easily be effectively utilized for Alfonso Cuarón's latest thriller, Gravity.

Starring two unknowns by the names of George Clooney and Sandra Bullock, Gravity puts the two A-listers together as a medical engineer and an astronaut that must work in tandem to survive once a freak accident leaves them adrift in space.

Their struggle takes place after debris from a Russian satellite comes speeding through their orbit ripping their space shuttle to shreds causing Dr. Ryan Stone (Bullock) to float untethered in space. Coming to her aid is astronaut Matt Kowalsky (Clooney) who estimates that the debris will again circle the earth and again zip past their location in approximately 90-minutes. Their mission quickly changes into a race to survival 600km above the earth where help from anyone outside of each other is impossible.

Alfonso Cuarón is chiselling himself quite a career. He was last behind the camera for Children of Men (2006) which was nominated for three Academy Awards and he was also responsible for the best film in the Harry Potter film series with Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004). But Gravity is his best work to date.

Bullock carries the film (expect some murmurs for a Best Actress nomination) and Gravity centers on the two main characters only. There are no other developed characters. Two other astronauts and a radio voice from Houston, Texas are the only other character influences and their parts wouldn't amount to 2 minutes if strung in order.

With only two actors to carry the entire 90-minute runtime, the movie relies heavily on its visuals of space and the various orbiting stations with the earth always prominent in the background. And the visuals are fantastic. There are no side-stories, sub-plots, unnecessary fluff or sexual tension between the characters. Just a desperate attempt to make the most of the oxygen they have left.

Gravity is the best 3D film ever. Ever. Add to the mix the incredible visuals and perfect sound (both loud and quiet) and you have a faultless mix. Gravity will contend for Oscar's in Visual Effects, Sound and Editing.

Cuarón incredibly is able to give his audience a sense of claustrophobia whether his cast are inside an orbiting capsule or in the vast darkness of space. And as the astronauts deal with each new developing tragedy, the audience will themselves be gasping for air rooting for the character's success in each new attempt at survival.

With still a few months left in the year, it's too early to call a film the year's best. But Gravity will definitely be there on many lists at the year's conclusion. It's that breathtaking. It's that good.

www.killerreviews.com
338 out of 671 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely unique and spellbinding.
MartinHafer28 February 2014
I noticed that one reviewer gave this film a score of 1. I just don't get this, as "Gravity" is one of the most creative and visually striking films I've ever seen. The only film that reminds me of it, somewhat, is "Avatar"--where an entire world is created digitally--much like in "Gravity". However, "Gravity" is very much unlike "Avatar" is most every other way and represents an interesting 'what if' scenario in this near-future sci-fi film.

The date in which the film is set is uncertain but is sometime in the near future. In this near future, the International Space Station is still in use, the Chinese Space Station is up and running and the Americans once again have a shuttle program.

The film begins with an American space mission in progress. A scientist (Sandra Bullock) is working on fixing her pet space project while being overseen by an experienced astronaut (George Clooney). Without warning, a series of explosions emanating from a Russian satellite create a chain effect--launching space debris everywhere and destroying the shuttle and severely damaging the two nearby space stations. Unfortunately, at this point only the two astronauts are left alive--but not for long unless truly extraordinary events take place that allow them to return to Earth.

I was worried that I'd find the film boring. After all, 13 minutes into the movie, you are left with two living characters--and you see no others for the duration of the film. Yet, inexplicably, the script and direction keep the film from being dull. There are no lulls--and the action and acting really work well together and suck you into the film. I have rarely felt as tense as I did as I watched the movie and many times I found myself moving about in my seat along with the action.

Technically, the film was amazing. Using the actors' faces, a CG world was created that looked real. You really felt that it was filmed in space and the physics were really awesome. I rarely use words like 'awesome' or 'amazing' in my reviews--but this IS the only way to describe the technical prowess of the film. While I am sure physicists and rocket scientists could spot a few flaws here and there, the film makes it all seem so plausible and real that I cannot help but admire and love the film.

Do yourself a favor--see this film and try to see it on the big screen.
25 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Deceived by IMDb--utter CRAP
cgrillet28 October 2013
I convinced my husband to go see this movie solely based on the astoundingly high rating on IMDb.com (currently 8.6)--even though it looked absolutely pathetic in previews. I laughed when I read the "spoiler" disclaimer--there is no plot in this movie to spoil!! Seriously, I couldn't tell you what the point of this stupid film was.

What most angers me is that it has this collective 8.6 rating on IMDb.com and we would NEVER have wasted time and money if it weren't for this site, which we trusted prior to this. I don't know who paid and how much they paid, or what favors they called in (maybe they have incriminating evidence against someone high up in the company??) to get this film rated this high. I can't imagine anyone giving this film higher than a 5 (and that would be just because they are fans of Clooney and/or Bullock). SHAME ON IMDb and/or anyone involved in perpetuating these false reviews/ratings.

In comparison, these are the ratings of other space movies that are far and away better than Gravity: 2001 A Space Odyssey 8.3, Apollo 13 7.5, The Right Stuff 7.9, Moon 7.9, Sunshine 7.2, Solaris (1972) 8.0, Alien/Aliens 8.5, Armageddon 6.4 (not arguing the rating, just that it is WAAAAAYYYY better than Gravity) and lastly, Gravity is currently ranking about the same or better than all of the Star Wars/Star Trek movies--SERIOUSLY???!!!!

By the end of the movie I wanted to beat myself for a) not trusting my instincts, b) sitting through one of the all-time worst movies I've ever seen (prior to this that honor was held by "The Amazing Panda Adventure"), c) spending precious dollars--even one! for this crap and d) dragging my good sport of a husband who isn't a fan of space/sci-fi films to this show and wasting precious marriage capital!

Sandra Bullock must be dragging the bottom of the barrel. She already starred in two movies this year so awful, ridiculous and denigrating to anyone with even a shred of talent that I can't believe she went for a third this bad. There was absolutely nothing redeeming about this movie other than a few good special effects (but not even enough of those to warrant a mention).
136 out of 264 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a Scam , If you saw the trailer you've seen the movie...
ldecair675 October 2013
What a load, I mean what was there was pretty good, the graphics and special effects were what the movie was about. There was no plot to the story, it was simply about being lost in space, which is evident in the trailer. No character back grounds are given when they had tons of opportunity to tell us about the characters, but for some inexplicable reasons they did not. They decide to end a $16.00 movie without a beginning or an end, I am not sure which. An hour and a half movie that was no where near a full movie. It clearly was not finished. As soon as the lights in the theater came on everyone around us was complaining. I heard "I want my money back." "That's it?" "Too short!" And the best was "I think they forgot the rest!" Clearly, this movie lacked substance and a storyline. Ultimately, if you've seen the movie trailer, you don't need to see the movie. There's nothing else you're missing. I hope they don't make their money back. I think my review was longer than the film.
111 out of 213 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No, no, no.
toddshank22 February 2018
Gave it another shot on FXM. 19 minutes in I have said no, nope, no, no. Satellite colliding into satellite, colliding into satellite, etc. I don't think they actually get anything right. More ludicrous than the friend zone guy getting the girl in any/every rom com.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Space mission goes wrong...
manwalic8 September 2013
This is a break through kind of film. Cuaron crossed boundaries and he didn't have the technology to do it, he create it. Just like genius do. It has been a really long time since you could go to a see a movie and experience this kind of translated emotions as vividly and organically and in so many different levels And will be some time for the next one. For the story, you can go as deep as YOU like, and in as many different approaches as each person who watch it. You choose. ..Cuaron guide us into an amazing out of this earth journey. And knowing all the things he had to achieve to do it it's just amazing. Amazing Bullock..Best film ever. Can't imagine anybody else for it. Great with Clooney ( wondering why they never worked together before) Can't wait for everybody have the opportunity to watch it, and share the experience!
208 out of 417 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another million dollar bland soup
baptouille5 October 2013
There's something amazing about Hollywood cinema. When you think they were done with pushing the boundaries of cheesiness and plot less explosions, somebody raises millions of dollars do to so. Except the 10 first minutes that eventually let some hope stay on the screen, and some nice 3D images, this movie has been a waste of time. It looks like a mix of well known a-thousand-time-heard chunks of fast- food plot. Really. A joke. Dramatic family pictures, dramatic love story, know-it-all veteran, the poor mother who realizes she love her daughter, hot actress in underwear, violin music every 5 minutes, "let me go - no, because you will die - but its OK - but no - but aahhh"... I don't think i can list all these jokes. Not worth it, Gravity is another million dollar bland soup.
140 out of 275 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A thrilling ride from start to end, must see on the big screen in 3D
ArtistGrl28 September 2013
Just returned from seeing this at the Haifa Film Festival. As an astronomy enthusiast, I thoroughly enjoyed Gravity. It was more absorbing than any movie I can remember in recent history and probably the closest most of us will get to being in space, any time soon. The stunning visuals combined with great 3D work and sound effects totally draw you into orbit right along Sandra for the 90 minutes it lasts. By the way, the teaser trailer does not do Gravity justice, but it was nice to be pleasantly surprised for a change. Plot wise, it's not the most sophisticated film ever - Hollywood couldn't resist some of its usual manipulations (no need to elaborate here, you'll know it when you see it), but in this case, it's forgiven.
127 out of 248 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
DO NOT Waste Time or Money Seeing This - FALSELY Rated Film
hdemet16 October 2013
To say I feel disgusted and ripped off by this film is an understatement. I watch a LOT of movies and this is just an outright terrible film. I saw it in 3D which added nothing to the movie experience and to be honest was a complete waste of time and money and there were few scenes (if any) that merited 3D at all.

However my greatest contempt is for this website itself (IMDb) who have either actively been involved or deliberately allowed a false rating to be contrived and displayed on this website to dupe people into seeing it.

Either the film studio has paid people to write and give falsely great reviews (films above 8.0 are rare) or IMDb have taken money to deceive people like myself into seeing this film with its artificially created high rating.

Whether I like a film or not it is irrelevant because I can always find reasons why others would disagree with me but this film had nothing at all to offer.

To summarize it was a very weak story line with rather unbelievable lines as to how anyone could have survived and little or no special effects making me for only the third time in my life want to ask for my money back but this film definitely was my highest rated rip off film of all time as I was conned by this site into seeing it because of its false 8.7 rating.

I feel so strongly that I may even sue the film studio for misrepresentation as I was definitely not entertained in any shape or form by this film an very much doubt I shall be using this site in future unless they do something about this rating fixing.
104 out of 202 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
the most overrated movie of all time
dutchchocolatecake29 November 2013
Just when I thought "Lost in Translation" would win the golden cupie doll for the most overrated movie of all time, along comes "Gravity" to steal it out from under Bill Murray's nose hairs.

Winning this award is a lot like winning the Double Golden Turkey Award (points if you know which movie won THAT one) - except at least Ed Wood TRIED to make a movie. He had a genuine creative vision that was completely corny and turned out to be the most terrible movie of all time, but it was GENUINE. He worked with the materials he had and made an honest attempt.

"Gravity" has no such creative vision. It has no such honest attempt to make the best movie it could for the bloated budget sunk into it's production. It doesn't have a director that is emotionally involved in his own creation. Don't let the mindless drones fool you - the script is a class of mediocre all it's own.

It is pointless and utterly absurd that this movie was even made. Only more absurd is the high rating this movie has. It's like nobody wants to admit that this is a crappy movie so they just keep giving it a 10 and cheering it on like it's going to magically make it a good movie.

No, it does not. A lie spoken ten thousand times is still a lie, saying it over and over again does not make it true. I can keep coming online and posting that the moon is made of cheese, it doesn't mean the moon rocks are made of cheddar.

I sometimes doubt anyone really enjoyed this movie as much as they enjoy going online to argue about it.

But back to the movie - oh the flaws, so many to count so I'll just stick with the few that really stand out. One pet peeve that comes to mind is the lack of adult diapers - the director was more concerned about making Sandra Bullock's butt look good than he was portraying a semblance of realism.

As for the "Symbolism" of the movie - don't make me laugh. If you want symbolism, please watch "The Matrix" movies or "Lost." THOSE productions are chock full of symbolism.

The symbolism of "Gravity" is a superficial attempt to inject depth and meaning that the script just doesn't have. The script is beyond poorly written.

It's important to note - I REALLY WANTED TO LIKE THIS MOVIE. When I plunked down my thirty dollars to watch this in 3D with my date, I was prepared to find nothing but good in this movie. Sadly, it just doesn't deliver.

I am more angry at the lazy attempt to polish a crappy script and present it as a "visual masterpiece" to make up for it's lack of substance than I am about anything else. Except, of course, the hordes of mindless zombies going online to constantly defend this movie like their lives depend on it.

Go ahead and give this review a thumbs down. It only proves how right I am.
179 out of 360 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A definite must watch for lovers of good cinematography
AlarmedCouch27 October 2013
Gravity pulled me back into the world of space stations, astronauts, and dangers of space junk. A world of wonder that I experienced watching recordings from space shuttle missions and Hubble documentaries. And I am happy about it.

The main stars are Ryan Stone (Sandra Bullock) and Matt Kowalski (George Clooney), and they are the only people whose living faces we see throughout the movie. What we see are probably the best space visuals in a movie that have been ever part of a non-documentary. The visuals are crisp and steady. A welcome change from all the shaky-cam that we see in the recent cinema.

An interesting and refreshing point was proper use of the first-person camera. I felt as if I was looking from inside of the space suit. I felt that strange mix of claustrophobia and agoraphobia that is possible to experience only in the vastness of space while being in this insignificant amount of fabric and tech. These shots were few which made them significant and were well established in the relationship to the surrounding so I knew where I was looking at all times. One of the harder things to achieve in the emptiness of space.

The film was perfectly paced for a space movie. Coming into the movie, I was ready for extremely slow space walks, but Cuaróns managed to beat my expectations by introducing welcome highly dynamic scenes to separate off the slower paced ones.

The plot was fairly standard, but here again Cuaróns managed to keep it very fresh by giving us one large surprise mid-film. One major problem with the movie was that it did not make me care for Stone which was essential to sink into the movie. Cuaróns made a strange decision to make her a person without family. Meaning that her only motivation to survive was her own survival instinct. But this decision meant that Stone could explore some topics that are available only to people without stronger survival motivations.

On a more nit-picky note, what was with that in-your-face symbolism of a womb in the middle of the movie. Either I have not noticed other symbols, or in a film with a very few symbols, there is one that is sticking out and heavily disrupting the flow of the story.
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
HK Auteur Review - Gravity
hkauteur24 October 2013
In my opinion, the key to making special effects convincing on screen is designing the effect to look somewhere between real and unreal. When the audience can't figure out what's real and what's not, they will believe it. This is what happened to me during Alfonso Cuarón's Gravity.

Since Children of Men, Alfonso Cuarón takes his love of the long take and brings it to new levels. I couldn't figure out how these long shots were accomplished. The camera floats freely around the astronauts in space in long takes, occasionally shifting from third person perspective to first person. The camera loops, twirls, corkscrews around space, completely forgoing the human sense of up and down. It looked like the cameraman was really floating around with the actors. I knew that wasn't possible. But eventually I tapped out and let the movie spectacle just wash over me.

As science fiction thematically explores the extreme potential of mankind, awe is an important component to every science fiction story. I was in sheer awe through the entirety of Gravity. Firstly, outer space and the beauty of Earth from a distance awed me. Then there was the solemn beauty of witnessing the space stations being decimated in space. I began to marvel at the destruction and momentarily thought deep thoughts. It was as if for a second I was watching waves wash ashore on a beach while reading J. Krishnamurti. Finally, I was awed by the fragility of human life. After all, all astronauts are just little fishes trying to survive out of their own habitat. The experience was otherworldly, self-reflective and dangerous all at the same time.

I walked into Gravity mistakenly thinking it was a George Clooney vehicle. To my surprise, it's a Sandra Bullock movie. Sandra Bullock has always had a natural personable quality on screen. Whether it was pining for her crush to awaken from a coma in While You Were Sleeping or driving a bus that's primed to explode in Speed, she's always able to draw the audience into her plight with vulnerability. Bullock's characters never feel above the audience. Often this quality of hers get overlooked from having to play cheerful funny characters in romantic comedies.

In Gravity, that quality is used to its full extent. We watch as she struggles to survive a series of obstacles. Her performance is as immersive as the special effects. She draws you in completely into her plight. I wish more depth were given to her character. By the beginning of the third act, the film starts to run low on its spectacle and it came to the moment where more character was needed for a bigger statement. Gravity elected to stay with its spectacle and jetted for the finish line. It had a good ending, but it was missing that final thematic punch that answers, "What is this story ultimately about?" and "Why am I watching this?"

And for that, Gravity is a great gem and one exhilarating thrill ride. I am even happy that it was a great role for Sandra Bullock. I just do not know if the thrills will be as compelling on subsequent viewings. So in the end, it is not a masterpiece, but a very awesome movie nonetheless.

For more reviews, please visit my film blog @ http://hkauteur.wordpress.com
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.