The Year Earth Changed (2021) Poster

A Leopard Can't Change its Spots...
Xstal17 April 2021
You would need to be extremely optimistic to believe that in twelve months 'The Year the Earth Changed Back' isn't documenting a return to lessons unlearned - but we live in hope. This brief but beautiful insight into animal reclaim should leave us under no illusion of the adverse affect we have on the ecosystems of everything around us, including us - here's to spot changing miracles, ideally before the spots are wiped from the surface by agents of change that are out of our control and influence.
20 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lost my trust after misleading footage
tlhaloso-4470418 April 2021
I was really enjoying the show with my daughter until they showed a video of a hippo walking down the street in South Africa. That did happen, except it had nothing to do with COVID. The hippo managed to escape from a nearby zoo.

How this footage made it onto a documentary about the effects of Covid on nature makes me wonder what other footage in the documentary is misleading. I couldn't watch beyond that point.
35 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Must Watch for Nature Lovers as well as anyone that lives on the Earth!
rannynm19 April 2021
Perfectly timed for Earth Day, The Year Earth Changed is a mesmerizing portrait of the natural world in a year of lockdowns and quarantine. It's a must-watch for nature lovers, and even if you aren't a nature lover, you'll love the cinematography!

Narrated by Sir David Attenborough, The Year Earth Changed is a documentary featuring exclusive footage from five continents that shows you a silver lining of the COVID-19 pandemic - the planet was given a much-needed break! The BBC Natural History Unit compiled film from Jalandhar, India of the Himalayas on the horizon, of clear skies in polluted places like Los Angeles and China, of birdsongs in San Francisco, of whales in Glacier Bay and of hippos walking to the gas station in South Africa, among many others. The crew even got the chance to film a leopard, which adapted from its nocturnal routines to hunting in the daylight, within feet of their camera.

The Year Earth Changed is a beautifully constructed film, and the care taken in creating it and obtaining accurate facts is evident. There's little I can mention that would detract from the glory of elephants and humans living side-by-side, of Japanese deer running across the city to their old grazing patch, and of capybara finding new pastures in the homes of Argentina's suburban families. This is simply an amazing family watch.

The Year Earth Changed puts forth perhaps the most convincing argument that the pandemic has actually had an upside to it, showing real evidence of natural change and organisms thriving in their habitats, unbothered by humans. The message of the 48-minute film is to respect nature and recognize that after this pandemic, we need to do all we can to be kinder to the Earth.

I give The Year Earth Changed 5 out of 5 stars and recommend it for kids age 7 to 18, plus adults. You can watch it now on Apple TV+!

Reviewed by Eshaan M., KIDS FIRST!
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I was misty eyed within minutes
The scale our human encroachment and destruction of our own beautiful world is soul crushing. This documentary puts a glorious 4K UHD beam of white light on our disgusting mistakes. We need to change. All of us. Been needing to change for a few centuries now.
12 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Moving ...Moved!
johnwwwatson17 April 2021
Thank you David Attenborough!

Something good has happened as a result of the lockdowns, the planet is better. Imagine if the future young people making decisions were able to have "Time-Outs" on our planet wherein everyone everywhere stopped for 3 months.
10 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Humans are mistake.
saigklkrishnan17 April 2021
While watching this visually stunning and equally moving documentary about the impact that we, humans create without knowing the damage it cause to other organisms, I couldn't stop thinking how we F'ed up the earth all this time.
13 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Humans are the only bad animal on earth
laikangbamroshan11 May 2021
I love this documentary film "The year Earth change" it's gives us so many important messages to the whole people of the World but I would like to say that.. Our planet is sick and humans are the virus, it is undeniably we as a species have destroyed this beautiful planet at an alarming rate. Putting aside global warming and climate change, no species is as greedy as the human race, we take more than we need and leaves a trail of destruction.

There is a saying, everybody wants to change the world but nobody is ready to change themselves for the world. Perhaps it is time for us to reflect on ourselves and ask, what have I done for mother nature? Do you really need to use that much plastic bag? Will you walk to the nearby shop instead of driving? It is all the little things that matters, and if everyone contributed indirectly, the planet will be a beautiful place to live it less resources needs, less destruction and better environment.
A Short Glimpse Of What Could Be
joebloggz9 May 2021
A delightly-photographed but all too short documentary about the amazing way Nature & the animals that live in man's ever-encroaching shared space have responded in the 'time of shutdown' - an ultra-rare chance for us to see how they should fare in a world free (or at least minimised) by the presence of man. As someone who works in the COViD frontline it's so nice to see some positive in the face of all this depressing worldwide news...for the negative reviewers on here - seriously? Just enjoy it for what it is...not pointless propaganda, just Nature doing what it does best.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Proof of Better world due to small human changes.
cgtam6 May 2021
If one has any doubts Re climate change or how humans continue to destroy our only home in the universe, then watch this film. Sir David narrates beautifully, teaching without preaching the quick recovery from devastation this living planet & many of its species makes in under 1 year, incl some endangered species. All it takes are RAPID minor changes.

With us only modifying our lives due to COVID, not spreading every type of pollution from noise to toxic, this earth & ultimately humans are the big winners.

If one plans to live for another day, this is a must see, as it shows the little things we CAN do add up globally. Beautiful camera work & sound like most BBC nature shows.
Change is possible!
betbull821 April 2021
I can see why some reviews focus only on the negative impact humans have on the nonhuman world around us. I can see how people got that from this documentary, but I completely disagree with it.

I saw that all of the gloom and doom we constantly hear about, about how screwed Earth is, isn't yet etched in stone! One year of radical human behavior change, showed us that we CAN effect change! We might not see change that drastic, but our change can improve the world and the nonhumans we share it with. We just have to recognize that it's possible. Change is Possible and that is what this documentary showed me!
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Documentary.
genisis_tp3 June 2021
Penguins peacefully walking around the place with no human presence, BBC " hold my GoPro hero 7 camera on your back" Seriously guys leave them alone, shoot from a distance, dont just poke your cameras and mics into those poor animals.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fascinating and beautiful BUT...
trinaboice4 May 2021
IN A NUTSHELL: We're not out of the woods yet when it comes to the Covid-19 pandemic, but this lovely wildlife documentary reminds us of the many miracles that occurred in nature during this past year. Narrated by the award-winning broadcaster Sir David Attenborough, this beautiful film features how nature has flourished around us while humans have been in lockdown.

This just might be a film you'll want to watch with your family to remember what an astonishing year we have experienced and one that will go down in history. It's a reminder of the amazing, wondrous world in which we live.

THINGS I LIKED: The film was produced by the BBC and begins by showing us drone footage of streets in famous cities around the world that were shockingly empty when the lockdown first began in March 2020.

Scientists have discovered new sounds they had never heard before as animals seem to be enjoying new freedom and quiet. "Less noise, less fume in the air... Creatures around us have flourished, by and large, in this last year," Attenborough stated. He continued, "The stories of how wildlife responded have shown that making even modest changes to what we do can make a big difference." The documentary feels like a love letter to planet Earth.

We get to see gorgeous drone shots of landscapes all over the world. Stunning cinematography.

The scenes that showed families of penguins walking down city streets cracked me up.

I thought it was fascinating to watch the famous older deer in Nara, Japan remember how to get to their old grazing areas outside the tourist resort when humans weren't around to feed them daily treats of rice brain crackers anymore during quarantine. After finding grassy areas to graze, the deer have been seen to now be more healthy and happy. From the epic line in the movie Jurassic Park, "Nature finds a way." My husband grew up in the suburbs of Los Angeles and has shared stories with me about how his lungs would burn after riding his bike around due to the terrible air pollution. It was incredible to see the photos of various cities before Covid and then during quarantine that showed the dramatic change in air quality.

That was amazing to watch the people in India finally be able to see the Himalayan mountains from their rooftops once the air was free of smog.

I was completely intrigued to learn that whales began talking to each other more and because the seas were free from cruise ships, they were able to work together to gather food in new ways. More animals have been able to give birth to more babies during quarantine!

I appreciated that the film didn't just show how the world is better off without humans. It showed some solutions for how we can live more harmoniously with animals. For example, there is a village in India where elephants were eating all of the rice crops that threatened the food supply of the people living there, so the villagers decided to try something different. They planted special rice crops farther away just for the elephants to enjoy. Did it work? It did! Surprisingly, the elephants no longer cross into the village, but they stay in their specially-designated crop area! Amazing!

THINGS I DIDN'T LIKE: All of the examples in the film allude to the fact that nature has benefitted from the absence of humans. Do the filmmakers want to suggest that animals are more important than humans? The purpose of the movie was to document the astonishing changes in nature during the pandemic, but some of the reviews I've read seem to reveal that there are people who think humans are evil and terrible. One reviewer actually said that Covid should "up her game" and kill 3 billion people. Yikes. Yes, humans HAVE harmed animals and nature, but we have also done many good things to protect the planet and save animals too. Critics of Agenda 21 claim this film promotes the United Nations resolution to subjugate humanity under an eco-totalitarian regime. What do YOU think? I'd love to read your comments below!

There is some misleading footage that shows a hippopotamus wandering by a gas station in South Africa as if it wandered there because of its newly-found freedom while humans were in lockdown. The reality is that it had actually escaped from a nearby zoo.

So, what's going to happen once the pandemic is over? Will humans make changes to protect wildlife or will we go back to our old ways? The film asks if we can better coexist with animals.

TIPS FOR PARENTS: A leopard kills another animal to eat.

A cheetah kills an animal to feed its young.

Your children will seem some amazing footage of nature.

You can see the rest of my review on my Movie Review Mom YouTube channel!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful Earth
mailwindroid23 April 2021
Beautifully photographed images of how planet earth coped during Lockdown. Nature is amazing. A must watch for everyone.
4 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Deducting one point...for shortness
saket-exe9 June 2021
A classic BBC production. To have that vision that something like these changes are possible is gobsmacking. They set things in motion for production just at the right time. Extremly beautiful to watch and for once Sir David got to say something positive on camera. We needed this to realise how quickly nature heal itself once we give it a chance.

Only complaint I have is how short the documentry is. It should have been s series or at least full length feature. I know it was pandemic so shooting might havr been difficult but its still BBC productions.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
actually not true for many places in the US
howboutthisone_huh30 May 2021
All during the past year the media have been telling stories like this and it's hard to argue because they're so compelling but for many places, particularly in the US, it's just not true. In fact the pandemic probably made it more difficult than ever for wildlife to survive. Sure, the major parks around the country suddenly experienced a sudden change in the ecology as they were closed (2 months?) but I've personally never seen so many people in my area in and around the parks when they reopened. At least a ten fold increase in visitors, and as the pandemic has wound down, the numbers have gone back to normal. Ok, so national parks and state parks (both within 30 miles) closed but people found ways to get into the park thru the fringes and then visitation skyrocketed afterwards as the parks reopened and more people looked for recreation. More hikers, more off-roaders, more dirt bikes, mountain bikes, campers, and so on. In my area they came out in huge numbers despite the rangers trying to maintain rules about social distancing. That this issue wasn't mentioned in the documentary is a huge oversight. Mr Attenborough asks will we learn anything from this to help wildlife in the future but the answer is clearly no if you look at the behavior of people in the past year. And, it shouldn't be any surprise. On 9/11 all air traffic over the US came to a standstill and it had a pretty incredible impact on nature too but afaik, nothing ever changed because of it.
Brilliant
zdhxhhyrsg21 May 2021
Thank you David, what a wonderful world we live in. Brilliantly narrated, how you can see how clean our environment can become with a pandemic lockdown and reset the world of coexistence with the animal and plants. Loved every minute of the documentary. Ten Stars all the way.
See what we did
ks-6050013 May 2021
Human have affected the wild life in the past til the lock down in 2020. This documentary demonstrated how animals life been better after the human footage disappeared. It just dawn on me how to respect and coexist with living creatures in this planet. Just imagine how irritating when someone play video on bus without headset, chatting loudly in public area without consideration. Wild animals are distributed by human beings the same way, even more severe.
A solid documentary
leonhinz28 April 2021
If you watched blue planet and other familiar documentaries and enjoyed them, you will not regret watching this too.

Overall this documentary gives you a short glimpse of what the impact of mankind on nature is.

The cinematic techniques are impressive, new technologies like cameras that capture more of the night allow you to get a new impression of wildlife.

To add the narrator David Attenborough is as always on fire.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mother nature is making a comeback
drddladia24 April 2021
A Masterpiece eye opener portrayal of worldwide impact of covid 19 lockdown on mother nature ,which we indigenous civilised humans don't care about.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Money making lie on cost of animals
postalisches24 April 2021
This is crap. The truth is way different. If you go to Africa and search for wild animals, you have to search intensively. They are a rare find and this documentry does suggest humans, the world can be a better place for animals, what in fact is not suppose to happen, never. Just impossible. Humanity grows even more with the Virus, as it is not deadly enough to give animals more place. We already took it and for millions of species it is too late as they have disapeared from our planet forever. This documentry is like a Disney movie and made for money making, nothing else. Shame on Attenborough, as this makes people think we just saved the planet for the next 100 years. For example 8000 cheetahs left worldwide, do you see one walking in a city because it is quiet there and that makes the planet wonderful, common!, No one can be that stupid no?
9 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stunningly Beautiful
eugenelevine18 April 2021
Stunningly beautiful, warm, humane, filled with hope. A fact-based reminder of the resiliency of our biosphere. This is education, not indoctrination - the pandemic provided the medium for the largest, most comprehensive, well-organized, all-humanity experiment ever conducted.

Gorgeous.

I hope Apple will see fit to do a universal limited release to allow the pictures to reach all of humankind -- most especially including the vast majority of people who do not have access to Apple TV+
3 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Truth of the Nature
noamanjuvekar17 April 2021
One of the most wonderful documentary i have ever. Experienced most wonderful life can be if we follow the nature's laws.loved to see our earth is getting better and is in healing mode. This documentary is a clear vision to see our planets beautiful side😍😍
2 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Earth didn't changed, We humans paid attention to something other than ourselves!!
inspiredwolfy18 April 2021
This living beings are with us on this planet. They have as much stake in this as much we human does.. We should understand this fact & should act accordingly.
2 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful!
miriamdixie17 April 2021
Another amazing documentary, thank you! It's nice to see something positive coming from this lockdown and clarifies the huge impact with facts.
2 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fascinating
jdzacpt29 April 2021
A look at how nature responded to our retreat during the worldwide COVID-19 lockdown. Both a reminder of our impact on the environment and of how nature given a chance will flourish.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.