The Good Neighbor (2022) Poster

(I) (2022)

not what i was expecting
watcher201919 June 2022
Give this a watch it was so much better than i thought it would be. You think you have it sussed then something else happens. Worth watching.....................................................................................................................................
20 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A nicely paced thriller...
paul_haakonsen18 June 2022
Sitting down to watch the 2021 thriller "The Good Neighbor" was because I had the opportunity to do so. I hadn't even heard about this movie from writer Ross Partridge and director Stephan Rick prior to watching it. But I will say that the movie's synopsis sounded interesting enough to catch my attention. And also the fact that the movie had Jonathan Rhys Meyers on the cast list helped to sweeten the deal.

The storyline in "The Good Neighbor" was good and well-written. Sure, it was somewhat generic at certain aspects and it was somewhat predictable, but it actually made for good entertainment. There was something 'old school thriller' about the way that the story was constructed and brought to life on the screen.

The acting performances in the movie were good, and lead actors Luke Kleintank and Jonathan Rhys Meyers were nicely cast for the leading roles. I was especially impressed with Jonathan Rhys Meyers' performance, because he was superbly cast for that particular role and he brought the characters to life in a very realistic and believable manner.

If you enjoy thrillers, then you definitely should give "The Good Neighbor" a chance, should you have the opportunity to watch it. I was genuinely surprised and entertained with this movie from director Stephan Rick. While the movie is entertaining and watchable, it hardly is a thriller that you will watch more than once, simply as the storyline doesn't have enough layers and contents to support more than a single viewing, as this first viewing leaves nothing else to be discovered.

The ending of the movie, now that was a slap to the face with a cold, dead face. I didn't enjoy that ending one bit.

My rating of "The Good Neighbor" lands on a six out of ten stars.
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ok
gab-6759917 June 2022
Just ok, a bit long and very predictable. I myself LOVE Meyer as an actor but he just didn't mesh well with the other lead actor. His emotions and reaction at times were laughable because they felt so fake or unreal. I really only wanted to see this movie because he was in it but not that I have I wish I hadn't. Was it a good thriller? Yes, but nothing new or special. Good for a one time watch, MAYBE two, but that was it. Never found out why the girl was on her bike, on that road at night in the first place, but oh well.
22 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
'I'm Sucking out the infection'...
Xstal17 June 2022
A hit and scum driver, with a new friend and adviser, takes you on a journey, as if you're nailed to a gurney, the acting's rather poor, absolutely nothing to adore, no method to the madness, just a pool of soiled badness.
33 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beware of thy neighbor
anne-1362221 June 2022
Two neighbors strike up a friendship that quickly spirals out of control when an accident happens that changes both lives. This movie, while a little predictablble in the sense, that as a viewer you know that this friendship can't end well, is straight forward, and was well done. Johnathan Rhys Meyers definetly carries it, but the other actors are ok too. Pacing sometimes a little slow, but overall good.
14 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What would you have done?
cynthia-5862418 June 2022
This one of those movies that starts out with the question what any of us would have in the same situation as the protagonist. What if you did something bad and you could get away with it? Has been done before. But the performances are really strong. Jonathan Rhys Meyers is great in his mix of subtle and all out moments. Luke Kleintank does a good job, being relatable while at the same time going down a slippery slope. The film has a retro feel in its premise, and also the pacing is not superfast, but the tension rises constantly to a surprising climax.
20 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Can't believe I watched this until the end....
bangel332225 July 2022
Absolute tripe.

A complete waste of time that takes the psycho buddy trope and just drags it through the mud for 1hr45mins.

So boring, absolutely no thrill to it.
12 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good, tense thriller
email-7020017 June 2022
This is a good little thriller. Jonathan Rhys Meyers certainly knows how to play someone unhinged. You can tell there is something bubbling underneath his surface. I like how the tension slowly rises until the finale. Also the area the movie is shot in is something else. I don't know how much was shot on a soundstage but Riga as a backdrop is certainly a welcome change up. As I said, it is a good little thriller that hopefully doesn't get overlooked.
22 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great performance from Jonathan Rhys Meyers, but only an average film overall
jimbo-53-18651113 August 2022
When two newly acquainted neighbours decide to go out for a drink together their lives change for ever when they knock a cyclist down on a quiet road on the way back from the club killing her instantly. Rather than do the right thing both men flee the scene. Worse is to follow when journalist David (the driver responsible) is assigned with the task of investigating his own crime, but he also starts seeing the victim's sister Vanessa whom is unaware of David's true identity...

There is quite a quirky dynamic between Robert and David which, at times, does make the film interesting. You can sense early on that Robert is a ticking time bomb whom it seems does not take rejection particularly well. On the other hand, David seems more of an average Joe who doesn't seem to possess any strange character traits; his only flaw perhaps is that he can be easily lead which is what puts him in the mess he ultimately ends up in.

Whilst it's clearly pivotal to the plot I have to admit to being less impressed with the film when Vanessa arrives on the scene. The bulk of the film revolves around her blossoming relationship with David; in all honesty David and Vanessa are both a tad bland and I would have preferred it if more focus would have been shifted on to both Robert (due to his more interesting persona) and the investigation surrounding the collision (which seems under-utilised). The only mildly intriguing aspect of their relationship is finding out when/if/how Vanessa discovers the truth, but for me it's not a good enough hook to keep me fully involved.

Thank goodness then for Jonathan Rhys Meyers whose creepy unhinged performance here is the highlight of the film. I did miss him when he wasn't on the screen as every other aspect of the story was a tad mundane. He transforms a rather unremarkable film in to something that is semi-watchable which is quite commendable.

The Good Neighbour is worth a look if there's nothing else on, but it's not something I would recommend making a big point of seeing.
Hitchcock 2022!
aSumuru18 June 2022
Possibly one of the best in its genre. Story was excellently paced, plot thickens and builds up to a climax that brings its audience on a roller coaster ride that is only familiar with Hitchcock fans plus a very updated feel. Well done!
16 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cover Up
jeroduptown22 June 2022
Rhys-Meyers is a really great neighbor, until he's not. When David moves to town to work in journalism, he accidentally kills a girl on a bike on the way home from the pub. Meyers single white females him and everything gets nuts.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If only we understood Latvian!!
martynspetts6 August 2022
Just watched this. A clever and increasingly sinister plot ruined because a significant amount of the content was spoken in Latvian - especially the closing dialogue!! We tried turning subtitles on but the subtitles were not that informative (might have been our broadcaster) - e.g "Woman speaking Latvian".

If you can understand Latvian and like crime dramas with twists, you'll probably like this. If you don't understand Latvian, you will miss out on some important (I assume!!) dialogue!!
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poor.
kenbo-8736017 June 2022
Considering this is a concept that has been done many times before, it brought nothing new or original. JRM is a great actor and he tried his best here, but it just never got going. I thought he was going to be tremendous in a menacing role but the script just wasn't good enough for it to be tested.

I'd read the synopsis, watch the trailer, then don't bother watching the film. It isn't good enough to waste your time on.
16 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
yet another quasi anglo-american...
ops-5253518 June 2022
Production going behind the iron curtain to shoot a movie because the cost of production a far lower there then in the west...enough about that...

its an accidental killing , and the unfortunate ones, just become neighbours does try to hide away the evindences.the collateral damage done in the plot isnt new nor original and the twists aint turning you upside down, but a small thrill in some broken latvian english, the small cast do what they are told, the story aint lifting an eyebrow of mine, it barely too slow on the plot and the playtime a bit too long, the filmography though have a layer of high quality. The score is nothing new on the block very generalized thriller music.

Its laike a quick lay, easi done , easi gone, and no more than that. Grumpy old man generously awards this a weak 6.
5 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Subtitles????
MrBass6 August 2022
How can a film with large chunks of Latvian dialect in have no English subtitles?!! It's absolutely absurd. A couple of sentences here and there that aren't relevant to the story I could understand but this film has several long conversations that leave you sitting there wondering what on earth is going on.

Add that to the slow pace and the odd abrupt ending and you get a film that you'd sooner not have wasted your time on.

Unless you understand Latvian and enjoy a long drawn out, predictable, thriller that doesn't have a satisfying conclusion, I'd avoid this one.
9 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Character Development - The Good Neighbor
arthur_tafero18 October 2022
This film is interesting at several levels. We have all been faced with poor decisions we later regret. We have all done something wrong that we would like the world to forget. In this case, that event is a little extreme, but it gets carried off for two basic reasons. The writers have done a good job with character development of both David and his new-found friend, the nurse. Unfortunately, his new friend gives him bad advice. There are three people here who have made the wrong decision. Riding a bike at night in dark clothes with no flashing light on your bike is stupid. So is driving drunk. So is advising someone to break the law. I tend to be a bit sympatric to David, however, as the rider was absolutely partially at fault. Good writing and ending.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Less predictable than expected
Leofwine_draca8 August 2022
This drama/thriller turned out a little better than I was expecting, although it's still not great; more average if I'm telling the truth. It starts out unpredictably enough with a relatively likeable lead and fresh scenario, and although slow-moving it does have some minimal tension and twists to keep you watching. One of the best elements is Jonathan Rhys Meyers, very strong in a supporting role and unsettling with it.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nope
HumbleMensa6 August 2022
Predictable and VERY slow at some points, although the story is handled well --but it isn't a new storyline. The jury is out on this one, but I wasn't thrilled by it -- it not good and not bad, I guess. I don't think I'll watch it ever again though and super glad I did not pay for it directly. Rhys was okay, but his character --well, seems he's just playing himself, lol. Oh, and fix the subtitles - spent five minutes during a seemingly pivotal scene fiddling with our remote and settings thinking it was just our tech.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pointless waste of time, a very dull thriller backed by average actors.
Vivekmaru4511 August 2022
This is your typical "for every action there is an equal but opposite reaction" movie.

The movie concerns a man who has just moved into a new remote neighborhood and befriends his next door neighbor. The film concerns subsequent events that befall these two.

The photography and sound effects are average. The acting is mediocre. The plot of the film is very predictable and I don't see that there's a climax to the film as a whole. I don't recommend this movie even to pass the time as it's totally worthless.

I have seen tense thrillers in my life: Coma 1978, The Star Chamber 1983, Frantic 1988, The Hand That Rocks The Cradle 1992, When The Bough Breaks 1994, Copycat 1995, Seven 1995, Bone Daddy 1998, The Bone Collector 1999, among many, many more...
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why bad reviews?
ingamazonaite26 August 2022
I don't understand bad reviews.

I think,it's good, entertaining, tensed thriller.

I truly enjoyed it.

Jonathan is great in role of Robert .

I would recommend it.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Should have been a series
brettgriggs-6206222 June 2022
This script had the bones to be great series with more character development. But it got lost in a simple script that over looked character history. To many conincedences to connect the dots. Leads were ok but female detective was to interesting to give such little screen time. Alas..6 out of 10. Didn't wow me.
Tense thriller
richard-maddock26 September 2022
Great movie, with a couple of flaws, 1, the police would have checked the video at the nightclub. And seen David with the the victim at the night club... 2, the first thing the police would have done is checked the victims call log on her phone and found his number on her phone.

My film had subtitles for all spoken Latvian, of which there was only a small amount, so I don't understand other comments saying too much Latvian with no subtitles J R M is always worth watching, and in this movie he portrays an off balance psycho vert well, as witnessed by his need to get involved with, what is essentially David's problem.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A thriller that gets progressively more uninteresting! [+40%]
arungeorge132 October 2022
Stephan Rick's thriller starring Jonathan Rhys Meyers and Luke Kleintank dips heavily during the middle and doesn't ever recover. It has an intriguing Latvian setting and a somewhat contrived premise, but what keeps you initially interested is how the lead characters react to the situation(s) they find themselves in. We only get a generic sketch of who they are, what they do, and what comprises their immediate past. The script doesn't bother to give you more details, neither do the performances carry enough heft to make you care. Between the two, Meyers comes up with a much better show since Kleintank's essentially a "tree trunk" during the entirety of the film. As an ardent thriller-enjoyer, I'd say this one bites the dust pretty quickly.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unravels pretty well
ryanlion-385145 August 2022
The movie was pretty good. I actually liked it. It was different and I like the way the story unraveled. The actors all were believable in their roles. It reminds me that your sins will find you out! Some of the relationships were more than coincidence. The ending was pretty predictable, but still worth a look. A different take on a sociopathic neighbor in my book. It was filmed really well. Kind of a slow burn, still engaging. I agree the ending wasn't the greatest. I think they both would of been arrested. Deduction of star for that so 6/10 because the ending.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too slow, English and Latvian language with NO subtitles
hannahhawkins6 August 2022
Nobody seems to have mentioned that most of the film is in Latvian, with no English subtitles I had no idea what the hell was going on! Too slow, storyline is booooring, not helped by the language barrier. Stopped watching after 20 minutes as so bad.
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.