Why Did You Kill Me? (2021) Poster

Stupid people doing stupid things
brucewillisisaghost16 April 2021
I don't know why I watched this. Maybe because I actually like true crime series. This is just sad, although well documented. But... why?
55 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poorly Done
stefstars17 April 2021
Why was this advertised like it was going to heavily revolve around catfishing during the MySpace era ? The preview you see on the main Netflix screen doesn't play that big of a role as you think it will. The documentary is really about gang violence in Riverside, California. Honest advertising would have left me less salty with this. However, it's not done well overall. The girl lost her life because everyone around her was playing with fire nearly all their lives, the family included. From the get-go I already knew the family wasn't exactly a reliable source, especially the mom. You get even more frustrated when you hear that she was high on the night that the girl was murdered. No wonder she nearly got a poor innocent kid thrown in jail early on in the case. I couldn't stand seeing the mom any longer, she almost blew the case because she can't let go of her old street thug habits. She's no better than the thugs who killed her kid - even her sons were more level headed than her and they're gangsters.

The way they reenact the crime scene is with toy trucks and with figurines that look like the old "homies" ones from the early 2000's. That could work but it seemed really low effort in this documentary. I guess a lot of the budget went towards the MySpace page scenes. I don't know how old the little girl was that started the catfishing MySpace account, she still looks really young even now. That was a smart idea until the victim's mom ruined it. Still it's a bit scary to think of this underage girl catfishing gangsters on social media, you can tell it messed her up a bit, plus she was posing as a dead woman ! The whole thing is messed up all around.

The documentary doesn't really leave you sympathizing with anyone, it gets you upset at everyone involved more than anything. However, I did feel sympathy for the girl who started the catfish MySpace profile and the parents of the gangster who got their house burned down. They're the only people that were dragged into the middle of all this without doing anything along with the victim. I stuck around to see who pulled the trigger and what ended up happening, but the journey to get there is infuriating. The documentary could've been a lot of shorter or honestly this could've been an episode in a gang violence docuseries or something - the case wasn't worth a whole documentary to itself.

All in all, the documentary doesn't teach you anything new. It sounds morbid to say this but this is too much of a simple crime to make a "true crime" documentary about. This girl was sadly surrounded by trouble and it was bound to happen at some point. It happens every day in gang riddled communities and it's always unfortunate. Her particular case, the only interesting thing was the MySpace catfishing to catch the culprit.

I'd skip this one. Just Google the case if you're curious. Don't give any of these people the attention - especially the mom.
27 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Can not trust ANY person interviewed
incensical25 April 2021
As a pharmacist, the first MILLISECOND I saw the victim's family interviewed I just knew meth specifically was involved...it was clear the full story was not being told and their self-victimisation was clearly unreliable. EVERY single person especially the victim's family in this documentary was playing with fire which sadly led to this poor woman's death. The mother admitting she played a huge role in drug selling was disgustingly self-indulgent. This is nothing more than a documentary on the effect of meth in families ft. Gangs .
17 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tasteless, an advert to avoid messing with drugs.
Sleepin_Dragon17 April 2021
A family takes revenge on those that killed their beloved Crystal, they use social media to lure, and trap the killer.

What can I say, I found this incredibly tasteless, is it an interesting watch, not for me, all I can see is an advert for not messing around with crystal meth, you can see the horrific effects it has on the individuals that have been thick enough to take it, strange eyes, dramatic ageing, and general weirdness.

The poor girl that had to lose as Crystal, what on Earth did and will that do to her, she seems like such a sweet, nice girl, unlike the mother.

I feel so sorry for those living a life such as this, wanting to escape it.

I watched it, I didn't enjoy it, 5/10.
19 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Frustrating
thomasgabs17 April 2021
The poor girl's Mum is probably my least favourite person in this whole thing and the film doesn't go far enough to really show that. It feels like it frames too many of the things she does as these well-meaning acts that had unfortunate consequences and not how it really was with her just being a stupid, petulant woman with cognition reduced to ash from her meth abuse that has no ability to think about things in any sort of acceptable way.
18 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wish they'd actually spent time on crystal
keberg200317 April 2021
I'm a dyed-in-the-wool liberal and this doc makes me angry. Besides Crystal-who we NEVER get to know- we get to know to her terrible, criminal family. They're all awful. And besides the smart, darling niece who was part of the MySpace 'catfish' - they were all gross.
25 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Everyone Is A Waste Of Space
billypinkerton-4460415 April 2021
This is a beautiful story of the American dream. No No No. This is the story of shootings, drugs and face tattoos. No one is likeable, I would go as far as saying they are the dreggs of the earth. It's well made but it didn't make me empathize.
34 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's Pretty Sad When...
diana_m_j15 April 2021
...a former gang member who witnessed the crime is the only likable non-police character (with the possible exception of the victim's young cousin). I won't disclose his name here, as that would be a spoiler. But I found him to be the most articulate, intelligent, and sympathetic person in this horror story (not including the police). I would actually enjoy learning more about his story, as he seems to have come out the other side of a very rough start in life. Good for him.

In a "documentary" like this, you would expect that the family of the victim would have your full sympathy - surely there are "good guys" and "bad guys," right? Sadly, that's not the case here. The family of the victim (especially that mother!) is not a likable cast of characters. They initially refused to cooperate with the police! I literally had to rewind that part three times to ensure I was hearing it correctly. With a family like that, the poor victim never stood a chance. I am impressed with the restraint the detective demonstrated - if the mother of the victim wouldn't assist with the case, I would have been thinking, "ok, good luck, then!"

If there is anything to be learned here, it is that you reap what you sow. If you are unfortunate enough to be born into a family like that, do your best to get as far away as you can.
24 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So sue me, I thought it was good.
SpacemanBob15 April 2021
A story that revolves around a terrible tragedy, and the uselessness of revenge mentality. I think the makers of this film were trying to point that out definitively, and they did so through flawless editing of what had to be mountains of interview footage.

The film never takes sides, and has no political agenda. The parties involved lay out the story, and it's left up to the viewer to draw conclusions. It's paced just about right, not too long, no repeating itself. Every interview came across as relevant. A good watch.
34 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Complicated and Boring
frosty-4443118 April 2021
Out of all the Netflix docs I have watched, this is the worst I've seen.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The family is gross
tinas-787022 May 2021
I can't get past her mother. Imagine a typical jerry spinner guest at 70 years old, burnt out from meth. Watched about 15 mins then had to abort.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What did I just watch?
rothcliffs-585-11786118 April 2021
That was an hour of my life I could have spent doing dishes and folding laundry. I did give it 3 stars since it kept me watching for almost the entire show thought I'm not sure why. As mentioned above, the social media aspect is minimal.

Do yourself a favor and skip the show and get caught up on your cleaning and laundry!! You'll thank me tomorrow.
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
reap what you sow
runner14015 April 2021
This film is highlighting people who have made bad choices experiencing the consequences of those choices. All of this is tragic. When you know better you do better. Hopefully everyone, now, knows better. This story was NOT relatable, unless you are a gang member of any type (banger, MC club, cult leader, antifa). I don't like glorifying these lifestyles in any way whether through fiction or non-fiction and I know viewing this film sends a signal to Netflix/Hollywood that people want these types of documentary stories told. I regret watching this because of that notion.
26 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Below Average Bland Documentary
alindsay-al18 April 2021
This documentary made its way to Netflix this week and with its short run time I thought I would give Why Did You Kill Me? A watch and here is my review for it. The premise of the film sees a family use social media to attempt to track down who killed a member of their family.

Onto the good bits and that is that the film is pretty well paced, usually I want quite a bit of time spent to understand all the aspects of a doc but this one really only needed 80 minutes and that made it an easy watch in terms of its runtime.

It was also pretty cool to see the actual footage of the police interviews with the suspects. It feels very authentic and it just adds a sense of realism and intrigue as you see the different people getting interviewed.

But the rest of it is a bit of a mess. The issue is that pretty much everybody involved is unlikeable. The film wants you to care about the victims family but they all come across as truly terrible people and it just feels like I kind of waisted my time.

Also, it's something I have mentioned before but this just doesn't feel like something that needed a documentary. Obviously, somebody getting killed in terrible but the whole thing isn't that absurd, the use of social media is common place these days and I think this would have been way more impactful had it come out closer to the event though that was not possible.

Overall, Why Did You Kill Me? Didn't do much for me and I think it isn't gonna be one of those big documentaries. If the premise interests you then give it a go but other then that I really wouldn't bother.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It could have been a great movie
johanrndrs14 April 2021
A valuable story with colored characters. With characters that will have a whole story.

Unfortunately that is not reflected in the documentary. Ok to look once, if only to get a different view from the police, unfortunately just too little balans in the script and pretty boring even. One-sided choosing from the directors gives you to much about the family involved. The DA and lawyers could have brought a more colorful documentary.
14 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Real, fascinating story
kathleenfazio-115 April 2021
I'm writing this because all the reviews are not good. I think this was fascinating and relatable and strives to be non-biased. This is not sensational. It is real and human. Well done! Thank you!
16 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A pretty typical true crime documentary
Mcduff360119 April 2021
I didn't hate this but didn't love it either. It took a little while to reveal that the family is not particularly "clean" when it comes to crime activity but that doesn't mean they shouldn't get justice for their lost loved one. It's kind of a mess. The head of the family, the mother, is kind of messed up, on drugs and in the head. She basically has an underage kid pose as the victim to flush out the bad guys. The kid admits to being messed up emotionally by her role in the whole thing. So it kind of makes it hard to feel sorry for the victim's family especially the mom.

Content aside, the doc is fairly fast paced and relies mostly on interviews with the Homicide detective, the victim's family and some ex gangsters, but it's mostly interviews with a few live clips and some recreations. It lays out the tale concisely and moves it along at a brisk pace, with a fairly bland conclusion in the form of text on the screen to update you "10 years later the mother becomes president of the USA and yadda yadda yadda that's the reason we now have an alien invasion happening at our Mars colony". It glosses over major events that would have been cool to have seen in clips or something.

I watched this because Netflix recommended as one of my top choices but I don't think I would recommend it. I can't think of other true crime docs to watch instead, maybe go watch CSI again. If you skip this one you won't be missing much.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is the film adaptation of "This meeting could have been an email".
kasserlannister17 April 2021
Yes, it was pacey, but it is like the film adaptation of "This meeting could have been an email".
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Violence and Murder In the Underbelly of Society
mls418215 April 2021
What an ugly view of the criminal life. There are a lot of victims whose lifestyles do not contribute to their death. This isn't about those people. Drug addicts are not victims, their habits support violence and murder. Imagine living your whole life as a detriment to society. I hope the young people in this family learn from this and go to lead better lives.
16 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too Dragged on
Movi3DO18 April 2021
Another documentary on Netflix. The story about the death of a girl in Riverside among the neighborhood with many gang members.

The investigation itself was a bit intriguing as we slowly started to see the full event unfolded.

However, this film, although short, felt very elongated. The case itself, although tragic, wasn't engaging enough for a movie. Also, some parts were clearly dragged out to extend the run time. This movie should be just a 40-45 minute episode of a crime series.

The most annoying thing was the gimmick use of MySpace. Even though the app was part of the plot, it was no where essential to the movie.

Overall, very mediocre and dragged out. 5.5/10.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dry and cold
educallejero17 April 2021
It feels like nobody really "felt" for anybody when doing this doc, just going right to the facts as quickly as possible and failing to portrait the human side of this family, and the context of this crime (gang violence), and trying to achieve what the best docs do achieve, either a better understanding of the causes that could've been avoided or just making the viewer feel something, whatever that is bad, good, hopeful or sad or angry or whatever.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What did I just watch?
csvjrfj21 April 2021
This documentary was extremely boring. The crime was not that interesting, you never get to know much about the victim and the family came off really shady.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The ultimate catfish
Calicodreamin14 April 2021
An interesting true crime story, following a young woman's murder and her family's retribution. The story was kind of crazy, and the cat fishing was unexpected. Focus was on the family and gang though and didn't feel like it was about the victim. Good documentary style, relevant interviews and creative reenactments.
9 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sometimes Justice Takes Time
wandernn1-81-68327415 April 2021
I really thought this was a well done documentary of a classic case.

It does show you how people on all sides are just.....classless.

But well done. 9/10.
6 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wasn't really feeling this overall.
Jeremy_Urquhart18 April 2021
Felt a bit tacky in parts, and some of the interviewees were incredibly annoying (Belinda is just my least favourite kind of person).

It's sort of technically competent, but feels far too "Netflix" in regards to the music, style of editing, and just over "feel". Also, the MySpace angle was a little under-baked, although admittedly gives it a slightly different feel to some crime documentaries.

Was most interesting near the end, when it dealt with what punishment the person responsible for the crime deserved. Think with more focus on that it could've been more interesting.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.