Single All the Way (2021) Poster

So Good
atractiveeyes3 December 2021
It's cheesy and a cliché, like Christmas rom-coms are supposed to be, but it's good cheesy. It's sweet, heartwarming and highly enjoyable. The story is easily predictable but also an entertaining feel-good one. All in all, it's a warm cozy movie with beautiful vibes that are perfect for the holidays.
118 out of 153 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Warm, sweet, fun...simply delightful!
toddsgraham2 December 2021
Single All The Way is Netflix's first gay holiday rom-com, and it is absolutely delightful. While the storyline is predictable (i.e., fake relationships and friends to lovers tropes are well-trodden in the Christmas movie genre), the film is (effortlessly) engaging and entertaining nonetheless. What makes it stand out thus far this season (among this year's dozens of Christmas movies) is the warmth and joy it portrays through the story, through the dialogue, and through an ensemble cast that you will no doubt fall in love with. The story follows Peter (played by Michael Urie) who is keen to avoid his family's judgment about his eternal single status, and bad choices in men, this Christmas. Thus, Peter convinces his best friend Nick (played by Philemon Chambers) to join him for the holiday as his best friend turned boyfriend. And so, the two head to small-town New Hampshire this Christmas where our romance begins, as we watch these two discover, with some help from Peter's matchmaking family, the true love they have for each other. While it is obvious how this story will turn out, Single All The Way is entertaining, and at times, very funny. The dialogue is warm and sincere on the one hand, and cute and funny on the other. Indeed, the writer does a good job of mixing these two elements in a creative and engrossing way. What makes this all work on-screen, of course, is the acting. Urie and Chamber's performances were brilliant. They engaged me, that is, their performances pulled me. Chamber's, in particular, had a kind and gentle vibe to his performance, which I found appealing. The two also had fantastic chemistry on-screen with some touching and heartfelt scenes. It was hard not to root for these two. Offering plenty of comedy throughout the film was the supporting cast. Simply put: they were fun to watch. For example, Jennifer Coolidge (as Aunt Carol) is comical in her usual fashion. And Schitt's Creek's Jennifer Robertson plays the kooky sister, an amusing performance. I can't forget Luke Macfarlane (a Christmas movie regular), whose performance (as James, Peter's blind date) is fun and charming. The film has its fair share of holiday jinks and festive cheer from an amusing Christmas pageant and a choreographed Brittney song dance to hunky Santas and amusing and creative Christmas songs. All in all, Single All the Way is a feel-good Christmas movie, boasting an impressive cast that will no doubt have you smiling and laughing along the way. It is a nice new addition to Netflix's Christmas movie line-up this season. Highly recommend.
94 out of 121 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I wish I had movies like this growing up
ChRiS-8034 December 2021
What a time for a gay kid to be growing up.

In the 90s growing up I loved Christmas movies and every one was the same straight story. I longed for a movie like this at Christmas.

Love how we can have a cute, whimsical comedy like this with great performances and a lot of love. People complaining about the family need to watch something else- families SHOULD be this supportive and loving and happy.

The leads are good together. Great supporting cast with Kathy Najimy and Jennifer Coolidge in fine form.

Loved Barry Bosworth as the dad.

Yeah it's corny and syrupy but that's what these movies are! Bring on more!
34 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Coolidge is All in This Snappy Holiday Gay Romcom
EUyeshima23 December 2021
Jennifer Coolidge as tough-talking Aunt Sandy was enough for me to rubber-stamp this nimble gay holiday romcom that somehow splits the difference between WeHo finger snaps and predictable Hallmark sentiment. The rest of the cast - which includes dependable comedy stalwarts like Kathy Najimy and Barry Bostwick - proves again their expertise at this type of acidic frivolity.
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cute, but it's been made hundreds of times before
Larsii905 December 2021
As a gay man I needed to see this for the representation and J. Coolidge. It was kinda what I expected, but I have to be honest... if you switched the gay lead characters with straight lead characters, you'd have any other general Christmas romantic comedy on Hallmark. Maybe slightly above that, but really nothing new here other than the gay main characters.

I did really like most of the characters, but the writing was so generic and beyond cheesy and predictable. It also should have had way more comedy with that great cast.

BUT, a cute Christmas movie nonetheless, by all means. A nice daytime or Sunday night Christmas movie.
14 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Relaxing eye candy
Waedliman4 December 2021
Single All the Way is a feel-good film. Nothing hurts here, no joke goes below the belt, the pace is right, you just have to like the incredibly likeable family and the actors anyway. Philemon Chambers as Nick is so cute that I couldn't look away. After 10 minutes, you know what's going on in this story, but that's not bad at all. Sometimes you just need that sugar-coating and a bit of claptrap, even if you know that it misses the mark just as much as James Bond.
30 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Single All the Way
JoBloTheMovieCritic24 December 2021
7/10 - overall really cute, reference-filled Christmas flick for the girls, gays, and theys, but all I want for Christmas is for Michael Urie to get an acting coach before the inevitable sequel.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Predictable but likeable and with heart
hedrummond4 December 2021
Just read where Judge Barrett and Judge Kavanagh are doing their damndest to make this country unliveable - this film was just what I needed to put a twinkle in my eye and little laughter in my soul. Honestly, to the naysayers about how predictable and corny and just couldn't sit back and relax and try to enjoy - no you have to be like wet blankets. Well, this film did what it set out to do and I thank everyone involved for being in it, writing and directing and producing. This is really a good movie for Christmas - for everyone. It's about what Christmas should be about and that is enjoying your family and loving each other and - ACCEPTANCE - because that is what this country is supposed to be about. At least not one bomb, AR-15 or . Shotgun was heard for a good our and a half. That is what was good about this film. And with Jennifer Coolidge - how could you not have a good time.
31 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perfectly Middle of the Road
Neon_Gold15 December 2021
This movie follows the very basic Hallmark "recipe". Big city person goes back to home town, Christmas pageant, finding love. They are all here but the thing that makes this movie special is the LGBT element. That sounds so stupid to say but because hallmark are so homophobic they would never make this type of movie so we are deprived of it.

So there isn't much to say. It's cute, Jennifer Coolidge is great, it's inclusive. So it's a nice Christmas watch.
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I enjoyed it
guyadiangold4 December 2021
I watched this movie a couple of nights ago, and I rather enjoyed it, especially during a time where there is a lot of uncertainty and negativity surrounding us.

I loved that the gay characters were actually played by gay actors.

It's unacceptable that there were not more racialized actors in the movie. The amount of whiteness was blinding!
35 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oscar worth? No! But..
ts-00008 December 2021
Like the Hallmark movies we all know are clichéd,predictable,cheesy & still decide to watch them.. lol.

The acting & actors chosen was decent,as was the cinematography.

Would I watch it,again?.. Probably not,still worth checking out.
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I HATE Christmas movies, but really enjoyed this one
thejdrage5 December 2021
So many fun characters, dysfunctional family, meet/cute, New England, LA, Yep - not everything I like, but for some reason this works for me. I can see why it doesn't work for everyone, but to each his own. I truly have no idea why this flagrant Christmas movie didn't make me want to break my TV, but i watch and enjoyed the whole thing. Probably the quality of the actors and the lack of "goody goody". Thank you for a fun Christmas film. FInally!
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
As a gay I hated hated this movie
jakethesnake-420073 December 2021
Ugh why it could of been done way better. Why is it that there's always an average looking person and then a really hot person why not have just average looking people and make it real. The family is too annoying. There's no chemistry between the 2 leads.
93 out of 200 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Feel Good, Makes You Smile Movie!
dlittle-958045 December 2021
I just don't understand some of the lower scores and bad reviews. I personally found this movie to be a wonderful "feel good" flick! Is it predictable? OF COURSE... However ALL movies like this are!!! At least there wasn't some "stupid misunderstanding that only the audience knows about" first. I thought this movie was a nice detour from other Christmas love stories and really enjoyed it. The acting was great (minus a few annoying background characters) and it just made me smile. It reminded me a lot of Schitts Creek in the sense it just shows the audience how life CAN (and SHOULD) be with an LGTBQ family member. I personally am straight - but I liked this movie so much more than any other holiday love story I've seen in the past.
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Super cheesy
whatever-440619 December 2021
Very cheesy, cringe worthy story. Familly annoying, story is lame, you will see everything that will happen by just watching the trailer. I was cringing so often while watching. Could have been done way better.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great
bugger-170712 December 2021
The acting is great. The writing is great. The cinematography is on point. It is devoid of clichés as much as a movie of it's genre can be. But what I liked the most about it is how wholesome and uplifting this movie was.

There is no antagonist. Everybody is nice and it demonstrates a very loving family, which is refreshing to see. It made me feel the holiday cheer while also making me swoon from the pure sweetness of some of the scenes. And I was actually surprised by how funny it was, specially in the first half there are multiple very good jokes. I'd say the first half the movie convinces you to care about the characters and makes you laugh while the second half gives you the romance and the more emotional scenes. It's a perfect mix.

The movie really uplifted me and put me in a great mood. 10/10 would watch again.
33 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Like a bad lifetime movie with gay people
laragi3 December 2021
Don't bother. It stereotypes gay people, it's boring, it's loooong periods of nothing, it's not funny at all. The politically correct incorrect holiday film. Please, no sequel.
73 out of 159 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How much cliches do you want in a single movie?
jannikpeveling9 December 2021
"Single all the way" is the typical christmas romance movie with a plot that is exactly the same in EVERY christmas romance. And on top of that the movie is full of cliches and it gets so annoying after 20 minutes. Every cliche about gay people and about christmas movies is in this movie and that's A LOT. Is it a bad movie in my opinion? Yes. But I think it is good enough not to be extremely bad and some people will definitely like it. I unfortunately do not.
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Corny, predictable but fun
dbuckshnis9 December 2021
Great cast, cute sentiment, and typical love story which who doesn't love a rom-com. The sets are great and location superb. Love ALL the actors in their rolls. Scrumptious as one actor would say... I enjoyed it immensely!
10 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bland
nch-357707 December 2021
I thought this movie might actually be good, I like the main actor and we've seen many movies with the exact same plot.

I just thought the two main characters lacked any on screen chemistry, it just didn't feel believable that these two people would like each other. A miss for me.
10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cozy christmas movie!
serdaraltin2 December 2021
Ok, it's formulated but it's fun and joyful! All around great christmas movie. Jennifer Robertson ( might be known as Jocelyn Schitt) is really killing that enthusiastic type of roles! Such a scene stealer. And Jennifer Coolidge, i mean! She's an icon! Plus Michael and Philemon's chemistry is off the charts. Everyone is great in this movie. Can't wait to watch more films like this!
19 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A surprising balance for a Christmas romantic movie
tloader-111 December 2021
I enjoyed this more than I expected - while there are no surprises here, it strikes an excellent balance of being joyful without being too schmaltzy.

The leads are attractive but don't know it, the kids are cute but not annoying, the parents are sweet but not cringe, it just comes together well.

It's nice when a great cast and story come together for another stereotypical movie that manages to neither be over the top or boring.
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful and endearing!
exceladeogun3 December 2021
Single all the way

Cliché and predictable, but helluva entertaining and fun. The comedic parts are subtle and endearing. The casting was perfect. (I noticed there was also no antagonist, cute.)
16 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A for effort, C for execution
dmasursky12 December 2021
I know this movie meant well. It has some charming moments. It has some funny moments. It has a delightful ending. But the leads have no chemistry. And what is the point of spending the 1st half of the movie insisting that gay men can just be friends when, according to this movie, they cannot. I love a good romantic gay romance. The Broken Heart's Club is literally a top 10 film of mine. This was a wasted opportunity. It could have been better.
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cheeeeeeeesy goodness
Florentyna2312 December 2021
Is this going to be a Christmas classic? Probably not. Did I enjoy it - absolutely!! Of course I knew what was going to happen (and you do too) but I watched it anyway. And I'm glad I did! It was a sweet story with some genuinely likeable characters

And I just have to mention that it was nice to see a movie where homophobia doesn't rear it's ugly head. Hurrah for a bit of happy normality..... insofar as is possible in a cheesy Christmas movie.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.