The Wolverine (2013) Poster

(2013)

Amusing But Confusing
clean-girl-no-tattoo29 August 2020
Wolverine is summoned from his mountainous Canadian home - but not before he as to teach a bunch of animal hating white trash hunters a lesson - to Japan where he meets an old war buddy slash nemesis called Yoshida.

It is a beautiful film with lots of action and sightly settings.

It does become confusing. Sworn allies seen helping become enemies and act like imbeciles. It is unclear why. Wolverine grows a sixth sense and locates people with ease. This is often lazy in writing.

7/10 because it is surely fun, but not as deep as the original X-Men.
30 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty
ofgacpfd4 May 2020
Pretty film

Pretty girl with super slim legs and feminine hair

Pretty house

Pretty good action

Very sad what happened to the bear..
75 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WORST X-men movie ever (by far).
chunkmeal227 July 2013
Usually plot holes are isolated. This movie was however one giant plothole.

(1) Grandpa

This is what I understood at the end of the movie: Turns out Grandpa is a bad ass who just wanted to magically suck Wolverine's healing powers and live forever. So what he did was (i) Invite Wolverine to Japan; (ii) Fake his own death; (iii) As part of his plan (?) inject a spider onto Wolverine's heart so that he loses his healing powers--What in the world did this achieve for evil Grandpa?; (iv) As part of his plan (?) allow his granddaughter to be subject to multiple assassination attempts, just so that Wolverine will keep following her; (v) Then after leaving a trail of crumbs for Hansel and Gretel, captures his granddaughter, and lures Wolverine to some sort of lair, where his powers can be sucked.

The (?)'s indicate where I am not sure if it was really part of Grandpa's plan or things just worked out this way.

Given the tremendous amount of uncertainty involved in the above plan (e.g. Wolverine might've been killed, in which case no powers to suck; his granddaughter might've been killed, in which case end of story, and Wolverine would've returned to the Yukon to chill out with grizzlies), you'd think there'd been a simpler and cleaner way to do all this. But no.

All this is quite forgivable, compared to other things that went wrong.

(2) Viperwoman

What the hell is motivating her? What does she want? Is she working for herself? Or is she working for Grandpa and if so, why?

How did she inject the spider onto Wolverine's heart? Just by kissing him in the middle of the night? (This was never clarified.)

(3) Japanese Father and Japanese Fiancé

OK so it turns out the whole family (except pretty granddaughter) are a bunch of one-dimensional assholes. This is clichéd and boring and stupid, but still acceptable if you at least make some effort explaining what exactly was motivating them.

Japanese Father wants to kill his own daughter just because Grandpa willed her everything? (Oh, and this too was part of Grandpa's grand masterplan?)

Japanese Fiancé is just some asshole who's engaged to pretty granddaughter (this, BTW, is explained for us gaijin simply by the line that "You're not Japanese, so you won't understand"). He's the minister of justice or something. And he likes to have white hookers in his hotel room. Uh, and what else do we know about him? Nothing! Basically he's just some asshole who somehow wants to do bad things.

There are many other things wrong with this movie. E.g.,

(4) Totally artificial and forced chemistry between Wolverine and pretty Japanese granddaughter.

I literally cringed whenever they hooked up.

(5) Jean Gray bad dreams BS was just LAME

I can think of only two things I liked about the movie: (A) The Nagasaki A-bomb scene. Pretty sick, think it's the first time I've seen it portrayed up-close in any movie. (B) The black ninjas, doing their thing in the middle of the night and flying across roof-tops.

Other than that this movie was total scheisse.
501 out of 744 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What Might Have Been
utgard1426 June 2014
This is basically a tale of two movies. I know Hugh Jackman wanted this movie to be an adaptation of the classic Chris Claremont/Frank Miller comic book mini-series. You can see bits of that story here. But then you have this other stuff, far removed from that story, that seems to be studio-imposed and ultimately hurts what could have been one of the best comic book movies to date. The good stuff, the stuff worth watching this for, are the slower, quieter parts of the story. The Wolverine and Mariko parts, basically. But all of the special effects-heavy parts and the loud, flashy action sequences suck and take away from the impact the movie would have otherwise had. There's probably no better example than the different climactic battle scenes. Wolverine vs Shingen is a much more powerful, emotional scene than the shallow, garish stuff with Viper and a guy in robot armor.

I don't really blame James Mangold. No doubt it was Fox's interference that caused the problems and also caused Darren Aronofsky to bail before filming. You can see a better movie underneath this one. But Fox didn't have the guts to make that movie. Probably felt it wasn't commercial enough. Needed more robots and CGI fights on top of a speeding train. Still, it's good enough to watch and enjoy most of it. It's certainly miles better than the last Wolverine movie. But I can't help but feel sad thinking about what might have been. They very well could have given Wolverine his own 'Batman Begins' but instead we get just another watchable popcorn movie with hints at something more substantial.
51 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You know you are a bad director when:
MisterHOH10 August 2013
You know you are a bad director when...

you negate the conclusion of the previous movie.

your plot makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

you have more plot inconsistencies than Swiss cheese.

your favorite X-men character fights and moves with the grace of a rock.

your favorite X-men character acts like a cretin and his decisions are abysmally bad.

your favorite X-men character gets totally owned by a... ¿corporate samurai?.

your favorite X-men character loses his power more than half of the film.

your favorite X-men character cuts a tree with an axe and then gets tired.

you can cut adamantium.

you can drill into adamantium.

your adamantium cutter fails to cut flesh.

Japanese swords can withstand adamantium.

your villain is not even clownishly developed.

your villain has absolutely no motivation for how she acts. NONE. Worst villain ever.

your villain sheds her skin for no reason.

inexplicably you can suck a mutant of its power with a giant adamantium suit.

you kill a bear for no reason.

grandpa is a douche for the completely wrong reasons.

you take 50 rope arrows to your back and not try to get lose.

you have an awesome army of ninjas, yet in the end they decide to go on a sudden camping trip.

!!!!! you perform heart surgery on yourself, even if you can't heal back !!!!!

you don't pass out during heart surgery on yourself, but scream with excruciating pain when someone cuts your nails.

you live after performing heart surgery on yourself.

the best scene in the film is a scene after the credits.

you force a love relationship that is somehow immoral and has no meaning or conclusion.

your film has an ending without any conclusions; except Wolverine now has crappier claws.

You know you have a successful PR when:

people still pay to see this mess.

Be warned.
352 out of 528 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Typical action mixed with a cheesy and illogical script Warning: Spoilers
The Wolverine is OK at best, even with Hugh Jackman's usual superb acting. Most of the action is mediocre and offers no surprises (you can tell from the situation who is gonna die and who is gonna hit who several seconds before they do so) with the exception of a few really great scenes, but these scenes are scattered very far apart.

What really brings the movie down isn't its action though, but rather the culprit lies in the writing. Not only does it defy science and physics every chance it gets -{{SPOILER: A poor representation of an atomic bomb hitting Nagasaki is shown through a memory SPOILER OVER}}- , but the depictions of certain powers make you wonder if the writers even know how Wolverine's powers work. -{{SPOILER: At one point a guy in a robot samurai (Real Steel, anyone?)somehow manages to CUT Wolverine's adamantium claws with a heated blade, despite the fact that adamantium is supposed to be unbreakable, with the only material within the same zone of strength being vibranium (what Captain America's shield is made of). But the film never offers any sort of clarification or explanation to this. Added to this is that by somehow drilling into his bones, the man in the suit gets younger as if he got Logan's healing factor (even though that's not how it works), yet a few seconds later he gets stabbed and his supposed healing power does nothing anymore? SPOILER OVER}}-

The character writing is poor and very 2-dimensional for everyone other than Logan, and so many developmental/emotional moments are thrown at you so fast that you don't have time to grab onto any of them. It's like there was a bag full of typical Hollywood ideas that the movie just flung on-top of the script.

Build onto this is a predictable and lazy script with a few cheap jokes and a forced romance, and you have a movie that does little more than half-entertain you. And to add to this, the after credits scene makes NO sense (powers wise) and backtracks/negates important aspects from the last movie, which is a very childish and unprofessional thing to do, even if the last movie was quite bad. The people at Marvel need to simply accept their mistake and move on, rather than try to dwell on things that people enjoyed from their first 2 successful X-Men movies.

However, people always overate movies when they first come out, especially for Marvel, so the rating you see here is probably not the one you would give it. But if you're willing to deny several of the things you thought you knew for an hour and a half to be sorta entertained, then you shouldn't have much of a problem for this movie. If not, i recommend reading the plot instead to get ready for the next movie.
224 out of 334 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
biased review of Wolverine fan
sam_smithreview6 May 2016
I've been a fair fan of the series of the whole. Even the weaker installments I thoroughly enjoyed, so my review is already weighed in favor of this film. I will say even from a critics point of view I thought it was really well done. It's not the standard comic book fairy tale, but more of an intrinsic study of the Wolverine character. He shows a lot of depth and vulnerability in this outing, far more than previous installments. It's a risky but necessary move to see him operate on a balance challenge where he really is prone to death at any moment. The humor is matched well with the drama for an interesting viewing all the way through. All the supporting roles I found interesting as well. I really enjoyed the presence of Yukio who provided invaluable aide despite Wolverine's incessant protests. I found it nice to see his character finally develop some closure after all the time we've get to see him in all his cinematic installments.
30 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Plot Holes Galore
Minerva_Meybridge30 July 2013
1. When Logan recovers from the atomic bomb blast, why does his hair grow back perfectly styled?

2. When he loses his healing ability and he extends his claws on the train, then retracts them, why do his knuckles instantly heal?

3. After Logan is shot several times in the chest, wouldn't the last thing he would want to do is go chop apart a huge fallen tree? Wouldn't his wounds open up and cause him to bleed to death?

4. It is very convenient that is Prometheus there was an alien removal machine and in Wolverine there was a color x-ray machine, but how could Logan operate on himself and reach to his heart to get the parasite? Beyond the fact that it would be awkward, beyond the fact that heart surgeons have to crack apart the ribs and then use a rib spreader, beyond the fact that his ribcage is saturated with adamantine, wouldn't the pain have caused him to black out?

5. If all Shingen had to do to get Logan's healing ability, wouldn't it have been easier for him to have drilled into his claws when he had him trapped in the chair, rather than building an adamantine transformer?

6. If Professor X found the ability to reintegrate his molecules like Dr. Manhattan in Watchmen, why didn't he fix his spine so that he didn't have to use the wheelchair anymore? And grow some hair on his head? (eh, you even gotta wonder why in the 24th Century, Jon Luc Picard never heard about Rogaine)

7. If only part of Logan's adamantine claws were chopped off, why do complete bone ones grow back? What happened to the partial metal ones?

The movie was far too long on ninja fight scenes. I was beginning to fall asleep. Sad that the bad guy turned out to be someone whose life he saved. The Viper character was just creepy without any definable reason for why he was even there.

All in all, it was a waste of bad popcorn.
186 out of 295 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing for a wolverine movie
abhi_xecutor9 August 2013
I can'y start to explain how much disappointed I was after watching this movie. As many of the x-men fans I too like the Wolverine the most. Having said that and given how much exciting the trailer looked for this title, the movie to me was a big let down. Its slow moving, not as much action packed as I hoped it would be. And plot to me made no sense. {Spoiler Alert} I don't know if I got it wrong but in the movie it has been portrayed that removing adamantium from Wolverine's body deprives him of his healing power. WTF ? More so it has been depicted to give the grandpa his(wolverine's) healing powers ! utter bullshit. Wolverine(Logan) was known for his healing power and that was the reason striker chose him for injecting adamantium. Did i miss something there ? There wasn't a single scene in the movie that I wished I could watch again, which is generally not true for a Wolverine movie. Can't believe how Jackman agreed to do this movie.
83 out of 138 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
OMG! Who writes this garbage?
ggiatrakis15 August 2013
Are you kidding me??? I mean seriously almost everything out of Hollywood lately seems to fall prey to the same qualities as this movie. Completely unbelievable, unrealistic, CGI overload, cheesy, and a horrible plot that absolutely insult's the intelligence of it's audience. If you are on drugs I'm sure you will like it because it's obvious the writers wrote this garbage stoned. This is the first time I have ever written review for any movie on this site which should tell you how tired I am of seeing the same junkie pathetic movies of late. I don't know the gentlemen that reviewed this movie from LA but I can't believe he gave this 10 stars. Must have been paid handsomely.... I wouldn't be surprised if this movie was written by the same writer as the Lone Ranger.......blah
115 out of 197 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Maybe next time
g-boyle331 July 2013
I've wanted to see a wolverine movie that was fast paced, action packed, with a good storyline that would be well received by critics for the longest time. In my opinion wolverine is by far the most interesting of the x men characters. However this was not the wolverine I was waiting for. Yes it was action packed and I honestly enjoyed the fight scenes, but it was just shocking. This movie was flaw central. It saddens me to know that this was truly Hugh Jackmans last attempt at Wolverine, because we all know he's just too old for another attempt. And no one wants to see him as wolverine fighting off the bad guys at 45, it would be unbecoming. The characters in this story were ridiculous. I could tell from the moment they met that Wolverine was going to get with Mariko, but part of me just would not accept it, up until that fatal night when they kissed. A kiss which lacked any conviction or real passion, it was laughable. The oddest on screen couple I've seen since Matt Damon and Michael Douglas in Behind The Candelabra. They were painfully awkward. The arch villain serpant lady was atrocious. The ostentatious villain that we never even learn why or how she came about to work for Yashida with undiminishing loyalty, or what her general goal was. Yashida himself was a tedious villain and we didn't really here much about his life after Nagasaki. Mariko's father was a perpetual imbecile I could not fathom why he was even mentioned in the movie his character had no real significance. My favourite character had to have been Yuriko at least her motives were clear, Mariko was sort of a sister to her and it was obvious from the outset she wanted a slice of the wolverine pie. Now that couple would have at least been believable because she was bad ass and fearless. Her psychic powers were a bit ridiculous though she didn't really foresee anything worthwhile did she. The fight scenes were enjoyable though especially with the deadly ninja assassins creeping through the night, descending from rooftops and snapping necks like nobody's business. Yuriko was pretty sharp too, I was never really worried for her character, she could hold her own.... she had enough sass. It's a tragedy though I truly believe that Hugh Jackman was the perfect wolverine he just didn't get the movie he deserved. Well my advice is to wait a few years until the stench from this movie clears and then find a 20 year old Hugh Jackman doppelganger and create a Wolverine with some substance. It can't be that hard it has so much potential.
105 out of 179 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worthy successor
Vartiainen14 February 2014
I didn't much care for X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Hugh Jackman still was, and always will be, a brilliant Wolverine, but the other characters felt lackluster, the villain was weak and the storyline didn't fit well with the other X-Men movies. It didn't have the same feel.

For some time it seemed that the poor critical performances of both that and X-Men 3 would mean there would be no more movies with Wolverine in them, at least in a leading role. Luckily, the film makers decided to do one more and if this particular movie is going to be the last one, I for one can move on happy with what I got.

The Wolverine is a movie that works both as a continuation of the X-Men storyline, as well as a standalone movie. The focus is kept heavily on Hugh Jackman, which works for the movie's advantage. There are some callbacks to the events of the trilogy, but as a whole I think this film could have worked just as well without them, if not better, as they are a bit distracting from time to time. But most of the time the focus is on where it should be. In this movie Logan travels to Japan in order to meet an old acquaintance, who wants to settle old scores before his demise. In Japan we get some gorgeous scenery, nice atmosphere, intriguing settings, believable characters, all that good stuff.

I especially liked Tao Okamoto's character Mariko, the granddaughter of Wolverine's old friend. Jackman and Okamoto have brilliant chemistry together and when the movie slows down during the second act to give them time to simply interact with one another, it feels justified. Usually that kind of slowing down in an action movie feels boring and unneeded, even sappy, but here it works because the actors have the skills to pull it off. Which is a great thing, because it gives the movie more depth and we get a chance to know Wolverine in a new way that the Origins movie tried to reach, but never could because of its lack of emotional maturity.

Unfortunately this film has one major flaw and that is the unbelievably weak villain, known as Viper. Her actress, Svetlana Khodchenkova, just doesn't have the screen presence or acting skills to give the character any memorable attributes. She merely stands there, struts around in her skintight suit and spouts the dialogue. That's it. Sure part of that is poor writing, but it's still rather jarring because the two main protagonists are so damn good. If only the villain had been as good, this could easily have been one of the best Marvel movies yet made.

As it is, it's still fine. The two main characters are very good, most of the side characters do a good job as well, the action works wonderfully, the Japanese setting gives the film a nice coating of majesty and even the story, while nothing that extraordinary, functions well enough for us to enjoy it. The villain is weak, very weak in fact, which keeps the film from being great, but you can overlook it and focus on the good stuff.
32 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good but Not Great
t-kudlow12 November 2020
Superheroes losing their powers is a cliche for sure, but at least:

He punishes the perpetrators of animal cruelty

The super thin sexy girl send his hand maiden to give him sex to tide him over while en route before he gets to Japan to nail her. She is thin and flaunts just a little so he ends up doing her even if he dreams of his (also slender) girlfriend. Also, she is engaged but hey girls wanna have fun.

I also liked the action at the funeral.
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Wolverine
dilipbts10 June 2020
Pretty film

Pretty girl with super slim legs and feminine hair

Pretty house

Pretty good action

Very sad what happened to the bear..
26 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyment will depend on familiarity.
tdub15442026 July 2013
First and foremost I must say that I absolutely loved this movie. But as I will cover in my review it may largely be due to the fact that I have always held the source material of this film in very high regard. Having said that, I do recognize that their may be a sliding scale of enjoyability for this film. If you are a fan of the 1983 Claremont/Miller miniseries of Wolverine then this is the movie you have been waiting for. If you are fond of the character Wolverine and interested into delving deeper into his chronology and exploring his inner conflicts, you will certainly enjoy this movie. If however, you have no familiarity, or no desire to familiarize with the character of Wolverine, you may find yourself not caring about many of the slower moments and longing for a more evenly paced action film.

Fans of Claremont's Wolverine rejoice, this Wolverine does it right. The film does its best keeping characters intact while deviating from the comics in the sake of a self contained story and grander character development. There are several of the shots in this film that are near recreations of the comic's original panels, and although story lines have been shifted and shuffled in some places, its all there. Mariko, Yukio, Harada, Shingen and Viper may develop differently than in the comic series, but their relation to each other and contextual significance is intact. As a Wolverine fan it was also nice to see a meaningful relationship blossom between Wolverine and Mariko, unlike the comics where it really is love at first sight. Instead here Wolverine falls in love not entirely with the character of Mariko, but rather with the idea of being a protector, a take that is a welcome addition to the Claremont storyline. The characters of Silver Samurai and Viper undergo the largest facelift in this film, but it isn't entirely out of place. Let us not forget they were involved in the X Men issues directly connecting to the Wolverine miniseries. Although their characters have undertaken slight adjustments in order to incorporate ideas from the Fatal Attractions storyline, the plot does well to take from Wolverine's side of this storyline because it was one of the few times in the series where Logan did feel vulnerable. Many fans will recognize that the plot device and character of Master Yashida cannot be found in any of the original comics, but one must keep in mind it serves as a useful device to connect all the developments of Logan's journey. All in all I think its the best character study of Wolverine that any fan could ask for. Wolverine struggles with his animalistic urges and his commitment to reform, he grapples to find meaning in his endless immortality, and he ultimately finds purpose and resolution that he had not before. None of these developments are significantly or profoundly discovered, rather they are slowly revealed, which may turn casual movie goers off from enjoying this film. As a thoughtful exploration of Wolverine's character and a grand homage to incredible source material though, how can any Wolverine fan say no to this movie? It is the best X-Men movie and one of the best comic based movies.

For those who would not consider themselves fans, but are rather moviegoers intent on enjoying a superhero epic, be warned. This film is a character study, it does not grapple with any conflicts outside of Wolverine's internal struggles. The world is not being threatened, and not many lives outside of Logan's are even being threatened, so the storyline does not crescendo in epic suspense like the Avengers or the Dark Knight. So for those not invested in Wolverine's personal self discovery, some of the action can seem unmotivated and the pacing an obstacle to satisfaction. The film does its job in providing action sequences, but it intersperses several moments of symbolic soul searching, cryptic metaphors and relationship building that serve as pavement for Wolverine's self discovery. This movie can still be enjoyable without interest in Wolverine's inner conflicts however. With an outstanding supporting cast, a beautiful setting, and gripping and intense action sequences, it plays a lot like a token Bond film for those unfamiliar with Wolverine.

Whether you are familiar with the original comics or not, this movie will certainly provide entertaining thrills and intriguing themes. If, however, you are a fan of the original comic books, this film is a wonderful achievement.
227 out of 425 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This could be the Wolverine movie fans always wanted.
adam-moore130823 July 2013
2009's X-men Origins: Wolverine was received negatively by both critics and the majority of the fans of the character. Now the character has a chance to redeem himself with this year's the Wolverine and for the most part he does. This film has really tried to please the fans as it was loosely based on the beloved Japan story line from the comics and it is clear that the film has tried to fix the problems that were complained about in the previous solo Wolverine film. Despite taking place after the events of X-men: The Last Stand this film attempts to distance itself from the rest of the X-men characters and story and focuses solely on the Wolverine character and as a result this film feels very different to all previous X-men films. This allows for the best portrayal of Wolverine's character that we have seen so far and Hugh Jackman also delivers his best performance of the character to date. I really enjoyed the pacing of the film as well because although it was a face paced action film it wasn't afraid to slow things down and develop the characters and the relationships between them. However it never slows down for too long before it picks up the pace with another action scene. The action in this film is also very well done because every sequence is creative and has a purpose so it never feels like the mindless action we've come to expect in big budget summer films. Humour is also used effectively in this film as the writers take advantage of Wolverine's IDGAF attitude. However the film isn't perfect as there is one other mutant character that occasionally seems slightly out of place and some people might find her character a bit too over the top. Also from time to time it does feel like they are playing it too safe to insure that they don't make any of the same mistakes as the last Wolverine film. Overall The Wolverine, although not perfect, is a fun superhero film that gets a lot of things right about what makes the Wolverine character so popular.
252 out of 485 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Worth my $8.50
stationary31520 August 2013
There were so many things wrong with this movie that I'm sure I'll forget something. First off, I'm a huge fan of the X-Men characters and story, that being said, this should NOT be included as a film in that series.

First off, WE GET IT. WOLVERINE DOES THE HEALING THING. CAN'T DIE. It is NOT necessary to stop all action every time he's injured, wait until he's done healing, and then continue fighting. It happens in every fight scene in this movie, which, by the way is all this movie is. There's a cute scene between him and Marikol (that later has NO significance WHATSOEVER), but besides that the whole movie seems to be fight scene after fight scene.

Also seemed to me that Wolverine had probably 20 too many "one liners", and while a few were pretty funny- not all 50 were. It would have been nice to have some real dialouge. It probably would have helped clear up all the confusion we experienced with the plot of the movie. On that note, I thought the X-Men franchise was supposed to be about MUTANTS. That's been the deal thus far, but this movie went political, brought a bunch of humans into it, and seemed to forget about the mutants. Are we living in a world where everyone is OK with mutants? Is this supposed to be before or after Logan's time at the school with Professor X? We don't know, because there is NO interaction with anyone except the main characters. (I would have much rather gone to a movie about Storm's history, or Professor X's history, OR EVEN JEANNE'S HISTORY, instead of ANOTHER one about Logan. One was perfect- this one was NOT.) And the whole scene at the beginning was pointless. WHy do we care that Logan is a mountain man who cares about bears and avenges their deaths? Was the poisoned arrow supposed to have a connection to the lizard girl? What's her deal? Where'd she come from? Why does she wear those ridiculous outfits? What was the point of the scene where she pulls her skin off? Although it was cool, I guess, it seemed to have no point- no reason to be in the movie. Maybe she's Mystique's sister...That would have made sense.

OH. And don't get me started on the logic of how the hell little old Logan is able to tackle the 2 story pure Adamantium robot powered by an almost dead jerk off who wants Logan's power. What's is deal anyway? Most guys would be thankful their life was saved ONCE... and not shoot for immortality. No one cares if you "aren't ready to die", you aren't a mutant, so get over it and leave Logan alone. . And at the end it is NOT clear in any way whether or not Logan can heal anymore. Did he magically get his power back and they just forgot to include that detail? Or were we supposed to gather that he can't heal anymore, since the weird Asian mutant is now his "bodyguard"? And what was the point of him "falling in love" with Marikol? He just leaves her.

Why did we find out about the true plot behind the ENTIRE movie 15 minutes before the screen went black and credits rolled?

Why was he shot in the back with 100 poisonous arrows, intending to keep him from breaking into the building, and then brought into the building..? And why did he fall face down in the snow like a penguin who waddled too fast? That was horrendus. He lost his bad-ass status with that move. How is it possible for him to be riding a motorcycle in the slippery snow? Why the hell is he wearing a wife beater tank top and a jacket in the snow? Why does the army of ninjas 1. wait to attack him until he's healed back up again, and 2. only come at him 1 by 1? Not very ninja-like.

What was the point of Marikol's friend in the movie? To predict the future that we NEVER saw come true accurately? She sucked. She was a terrible actress, and her hair was awful, and there was no point in her being there- there was no scene that portrayed to us any kind of real relationship she and Marikol had. But I guess she maybe does martial arts?

I've also caught myself wondering what the point of half of the movie was. Why couldn't we have found out about the bad grandfather and the ENTIRE PLOT OF THE MOVIE **BEFORE** IT ENDED. THAT WOULD HAVE HELPED MAKE IT A GOOD MOVIE. IT WOULD HAVE AT LEAST MADE SENSE.

While I can handle plot-inconsistencies, or stupid mistakes, or cheesy lines, I learned this evening that I cannot handle all of that in ONE movie. It's too much. To not have a clue what's going on, have to deal with crappy writing, and rookie mistakes is too much. There are so many more things I could rant about, but I doubt anyone made it to the end of this review at this point, so I'll end with that.

OH. And despite the terrible acting around him, the horrible one liners he had to deliver due to a terrible writer / director, Hugh Jackman did incredible well with the part, and his image in my mind remains untarnished. I was also impressed with Marikol's performance. Though she was a pretty shallow character, she really played her part well. Kudos to you two.
61 out of 109 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sooo disappointed...
valhallex10 August 2013
I was really looking forward to see this movie, and had a feeling it was going to be just as good, or even better than some of the other movies in this genre that has been released lately. I loved Man of Steel, for example. The Wolverine starts off with some really boring sequences, but as a Wolverine/X-Men fan I really thought that soon I was going sit on the edge of my seat. The aggressive Wolverine is about to cut open some hillbilly bear hunters, because they have wounded a bear with a toxic dart. OK, I think, stupid reason to fight, but hey, let's just have fun and watch this piles of dirt get what they deserve from a real superhero! But a female ninja enters the bar, cuts a chair in half, slice the bottom of a beer-bottle with a magnificent sword, and ends it all before something happens for us to see.. So much for the action for the first half of the film. A viper-woman then drains Wolverine for his powers. When he gets his healing powers back(by pulling his own heart out - this is BTW a cool scene!!), he is beaten/sliced to pieces by a normal man who has trained karate! If he didn't have his healing power he would be dead by now. Really disappointing to see one of my favorite superheroes, the Wolverine, who stands up to Hulk in the cartoons, be sliced to pieces by a 50 year old man. So much for fighting skills and super strength..... Involved in this film is a great ninja clan. They forgot to rehearse hiding, so the main ninja unluckily sits on top of the roof where everyone can see him. Well, well. Ninjas can do a lot of other stuff. The movie is just a dull love story for much part. Really boring and stupid. In the final battle the villain in the form of a robot with a man inside(who is not tall enough to see over the robots neck), kick Wolverines ass. Luckily the lead ninja hits the robot with an arrow in the eye, and we can finish this movie off with some really stupid lines, before Wolverine takes off, leaving his woman behind.

This was such a bad movie that for the first time in my life I was considering leaving the theater. I regret that I didn't...
61 out of 114 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Wolverine
MR_Heraclius12 February 2020
Wolverine plus Samurai makes a pretty good combination for me. A great film that is based on the X-Men comic books and movie series.
43 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Character-focused 'The Wolverine' gives Wolvie the story he needed, not the dazzling blockbuster
Movie_Muse_Reviews26 July 2013
Throughout the course of the modern superhero era, one thing has stayed true: Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. After being a successful piece of the "X-Men" franchise for three films, Wolverine got his own solo gig in 2009's "X-Men Origins: Wolverine," which turned out to be a chaotic smear of superhero film with a cliché-ridden script. Jackman, who has become synonymous with the part in a way that would make even Robert Downey Jr. jealous, deserved better.

Thankfully, "The Wolverine" is better. In fact, it bounces back from the very worst failings of "Origins," telling a character-oriented story that borrows from the Chris Claremont-Frank Miller comic featuring Wolverine's Japanese saga.

The story takes place post-"X-Men: The Last Stand," as Logan is haunted in his dreams by Jean Grey (Famke Janssen), whom he killed in that film in order to essentially save the world. Hiding out and looking like an imprisoned Jean Valjean somewhere in Alaska (he tends to do that), a Japanese woman named Yukio (Rila Fukushima) finds him and convinces him to travel back with her to Japan to meet her master, Yashida (Hal Yamanouchi), whom Wolverine saved during the bombing of Nagasaki in World War II. Yashida is one of Japan's wealthiest men, a technology entrepreneur, and he wants to offer Wolverine the one thing he's never had – mortality. For someone who feels as though their gift has been a curse lately, it's an appealing offer.

Of course there has to be a catch, and Wolverine soon finds himself dealing with the venomous Viper (Svetlana Khodchenkova) and going on the run and protecting Yashida's granddaughter Mariko (Tao Okamoto), who is being sought after by the Yakuza (Japanese mob).

The film almost never leaves Wolverine's side, and provides more than adequate motivational fuel for us to become invested in the story. Wolverine's consideration of his own inner pain and immortality finally gives Jackman something to work with, despite how good he is with all the more exterior elements of the character.

Director James Mangold ("Walk the Line" and the underrated remake of "3:10 to Yuma") excels at finding these character moments, while also taking the opportunity to make a Marvel samurai movie. The film's fight sequences take a visceral yet artistic approach reminiscent of a samurai film: violent, but stylized. An R-rated version, however, would've made this an exceptional film, but such is Hollywood.

In summer after summer of large-scale blockbusters with immense action sequences, "The Wolverine" will be a tad underwhelming for anyone impartial to the character that is just looking for the "next big movie." Again, this movie is as much about Wolverine's internal struggle as what's happening on screen. It is exciting in small ways, not in big ways (outside of a sequence on top a bullet train). Mangold also does some cool things with a chase sequence through Tokyo in which the archer Harada (Will Yun Lee) snipes Yakuza thugs as Wolverine runs with Mariko.

A lot of props go to the script team of Mark Bomback ("Unstoppable," "Total Recall") and Scott Frank ("Minority Report"), who revised the initial draft by Oscar winner Christopher McQuarrie ("The Usual Suspects"). Obviously the character element of the story works well, but the pacing is strong and surprises wait at every turn, even if the plot trajectory follows a pretty traditional superhero movie structure.

To put "The Wolverine" in the context of the ever-growing rolodex of superhero movies, it's a rock-solid, entertaining, better-than-most entry, but years from now, will probably get overlooked among the genre's best thanks to the visually ground-breaking event films now and soon to be even more prevalent. It does little to stand out, but the Wolverine character didn't need something to make him stand out; it needed something more personal. Why else would you isolate a character from the X-Men if not to tell his personal story? "The Wolverine" is a superb film that should've come out four years ago, when it would've been a great film. If it were an origin story and not the fifth time Jackman put the claws on (not counting his "X-Men: First Class" cameo), I would put it on par with "Iron Man" minus some of the flashy CGI and a decent percentage of humor. There's no question Wolverine's lack of novelty will play a factor for those who find it unimpressive, but getting down to what it means to make a good superhero film, you can't go wrong with the model used in "The Wolverine." And fans will genuinely be excited about what Wolverine does next, with or without the X-Men.

~Steven C Thanks for reading! Visit moviemusereviews.com for more
93 out of 185 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than I anticipated...
RevRonster28 July 2013
I'll admit it, I didn't care for the last solo Wolvie film (but I'm not alone in that one...I just can't forgive the treatment Deadpool got) but you can't really compare the two because this one is lightyears beyond that one.

I walked into the theater with minimum expectations--I wasn't expecting greatness but wasn't anticipating failure either--but this one blew me away.

Once again, Hugh Jackman proves that like how Downing is to Iron Man, he is to Wolverine but what I really liked is how the film takes Wolvie into a new direction and provides a character-driven story that sees Logan dealing with inner demons and new challenges that go beyond just slicing up as many people as possible with adamantium claws.

Then the action they toss in is just a delicious added treat! Just a really great X-title and comic book movie in general!
25 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Completely Rubbish!
bsingh_p7 May 2015
The story was simple, with not much thought gone into it, with one- dimensional characters, again no thought even gone into the characters. Lazy writing everywhere. Also, every Japanese Man is made to look like a bad guy, including the grandfather, while the Japanese women are perfect.The father tries to kill his daughter and then the grandfather who was suppose to be the good guy in the beginning of the movie becomes the big pathetic crazy villain of the movie at the end. Oh yea, and her fiancé is evil too. Couldn't the director see how stupid this is, that the hero is a white guy and the rest of the non-white guys are villains. As if white guys are perfect for Japanese women or something.

The relationship with Wolverine and the Japanese woman is so empty and forced. Don't directors know anything about friendship and love, and how to portray that in a movie by slowing building that up. It's funny how they made her fiancé look bad for cheating on her when she did it herself with Wolverine, and Wolverine being a hypocrite gives him a moral lesson lol what a joke. Even Wolverine himself was completely one-dimensional compared to the animation cartoon I remember watching as a kid. They tried to show that he had learnt something by the end of the film and changed but what exactly did he learn, where was the character development?? Lazy writing.

Oh yea, and the part about him cutting himself open and going into his heart area was so stupid. He screams out in pain in every other scene, even when his claws get cut off but not in this scene especially when he's weakened due to the poison.

Another point, he's supposed to be wise, experienced especially in war tactics but he uses none of that in the whole movie, especially at the end when he battles those ninjas. They just show him like a dumb brute guy.

So many small pointless bits you can take out as well, like the viper lady shedding her skin for no reason.

The list can go on but I'll stop here.
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tremendously Smart and Engaging. A Joy To Watch!
StarkTech24 July 2013
If there's one major element that truly sets this picture apart from any other standard "solid" comic book movie is the way through which the director communicates the experience of being Wolverine. His healing factor and the idea of out-living everyone you know is daunting and depressing. Finding purpose after facing true vulnerability adds so much to the character and FAR more than we've seen before. Tremendous visual and emotional imagery is presented throughout the movie and provides the viewer with greater insight into the hero and even the villains. This one screams quality from the opening through the amazing final act. I've seen it mentioned that the resolution deviates from the comic books but I honestly couldn't care less. What hits the screen more then works in movie form.

For those going into this flick expecting simple fun, prepare to enjoy but prepare to be surprised. Fun is not the only piece of this pie. In fact, I think movie fans of all kind will be stunned at how many levels this movie delivers upon. This is an action packed but surprisingly deep film that, for me, really delivers. The Wolverine will leave your movie-going senses on high and I honestly can't wait to see it again.
67 out of 137 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great entertainment, made for adults
quinnox-130 July 2013
This is not another light and fluffy comic book super hero movie. This movie actually has depth and substance to it, and there are not fight scenes taking place every few minutes like in most comic book movies lately. It is more of a deep character study of the Wolverine. I thought it was unexpectedly good, with Jackman doing a superb job in the lead role, as a tortured hero, who seems as if he no longer wants to go on living his near immortal existence because of deep regrets and guilt he is feeling about things that happened in the past.

But it is not all doom and gloom, there are indeed fight scenes, and they are what you would expect of a summer blockbuster type movie. The last fight scene involving a giant robot-like Samurai is especially spectacular. Just don't expect the fight scenes to be the main focus of the movie, this is more about the Wolverine and his inner struggles of conscience. I liked it very much.
71 out of 146 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A return to form for The Wolverine
freemantle_uk26 July 2013
Frank Miller and Chris Claremont's 1982 Japanese story arc is one of the most famous and celebrated in comic book history. It has finally been the cinematic treatment, amidst a loose adaptation and watches out the taste of Wolverine's first solo outing.

After the events of X-Men: The Last Stand, Logan (Hugh Jackman) has living alone in the Canadian wilderness and suffering from recurring dreams about Jean Grey (Famke Janssen) and guilt about her death. As Logan challenges a group of illegal hunters in a bar, he is found by Yukio (Rila Fukushima), a woman recruited to bring The Wolverine to Yashida (Haruhiko Yamanouchi), a dying Japanese industrialist he saved when he was a Prisoner of War outside Nagasaki.

In Japan, Yashida gives Logan an offer to take his healing factor and make Wolverine mortal. But even though Wolverine refuses his powers are taken from him anyway and he is thrown into a family industrial struggle involving the Yakuza, a clan of ninjas, a corrupt Japanese government minister and a mysterious biochemist mutant known as The Viper (Russian actress Svetlana Khodchenkova who performs with a flawless American accent). As Wolverine protects Yashida's granddaughter, Mariko (Tao Okamoto), from all these factions, he also begins to see what it can be like to live a normal life.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine had many problems, misjudged humour, awful special effects, subpar action, awful writing and introducing characters just for the sake of fan service. The Wolverine does rectify many of these problems and director James Mangold had much more free reign then Gavin Hood had.

Mangold knew what made the best X-Men films work, so he focuses on character development and more brooding drama and it is complemented by an excellent performance from Jackman. Jackman gives us the Wolverine of old, a character who is haunted, suffering from nightmares and guilt, looking for a reason to give his life meaning as well as giving us the gruff wit we know and love from Wolverine. The Wolverine is a much darker film, more akin to X-Men and X2 which it needed to be. Yet the film still has a massive injection of fun which you would expect from a film featuring mutants, samurais and ninjas.

While The Wolverine has an expected PG-13 rating, Mangold does push it to the limit. We see Wolverine sliding his way through Yakuza thugs, having his flesh scorched off by the nuclear blast and our hero having to operate on himself. There is solid action throughout the film and the more cheesy elements has been removed in The Wolverine, with the only misjudged sequence being the Bullet Train fight sequence, as it comes off a little goofy. Comedy has also been cut, with The Wolverine having two overtly comic sequences and Wolverine having a few comic remarks, but they are actually inkeeping with the character.

As an adaptation of the Japanese miniseries, The Wolverine had to take liberties to make it work with the film series' continuity (though continuity is now very screwed up in the X-Men series). Yukio is no longer the ambiguous assassin with a danger complex and her colour are nailed on the mast, Mariko and Logan having no prior relationship, Mariko's father (Hiroyuki Sanada) is a combination of her father and husband in the comic and the Viper has no role in the original comic are just some of the changes that were made. But these are changes that are easy to look past, even though on a personal standpoint it would have been nice to see more of the parallels between Wolverine and Yukio. The changes to the Silver Samurai will be a bit harder to swallow for comic book fans and it is when the film loses it way a little with its action climax.

The Wolverine had a number of villains and it does result in problems. The first one is the film does not know who to make the main villain before settling on Viper, who does have a commanding presence on screen. The other is due to the number of factions in play, which makes many of the characters a bit underdeveloped. One character that suffered this was Will Yun Lee's Harada, the head of the ninja who did have an interesting character who was loyal to Mariko.

The Wolverine does have some script problems and the final act is a more generic affair, but its clear that Mangold and Jackman do have a good understanding of the character and they put the cinematic version of Wolverine in good standing.

And on a final note, the post credit scene is a must see: it is one of best and most tantalising in a long time.

Please visit www.entertainmentfuse.com
57 out of 115 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.