Predators (2010) Poster

(2010)

Finally A Great Summer Movie.
jmcginn17416 June 2011
Predators is the best summer movie so far and one of the best of the year. I'll be honest I've only seen three summer movies. There was Iron Man 2, The A Team and now Predators. It's just been a really Summer for movies. You can just tell by the previews that they aren't going to be remotely good. Now out of the three Predators is the best movie.

Predators hearkens back to the first Predators movie. Breaking from the recent horrible Alien Vs Predator movies. The movie has the same feel as the first movie. It also has the same kind of set up a group off harden killers try to survive against a group of Predators. I had some lingering doubts that this movie would be good but I was wrong, it was great. It had a great premise. Instead of hunting on Earth the Predators take humans to another planet. A planet wide game preserve where the Predators hone their skills.

The characters introductions won't be a surprise to many people. The loner but reluctant leader. The man with a family. The silent warrior. It goes on from there. There is one character you won't be able to read, because he just doesn't belong with the group which was a nice twist. The actors from Adrien Brody and Topher Grace to Alice Braga and Danny Trejo all did really good jobs with their characters. The only person I had a problem with and the only real problem I had with the movie was Noland (Laurence Fishburne). What was the point of his character except to movie the plot along and they really didn't need him for that. And I like the actor too. He almost always plays interesting characters. It's just in this movie he was pointless.

The action and special effects were truly well done. There were many great scenes. But my favorite had to be the scene between Hanzo (Louis Ozawa Changchien) and one of the predators. I won't give anything away but it was one of the best if not the best scenes of the movie.

The ending of the movie was open ended which I really liked. There's so many directions they can take this franchise as long as they don't go back to the Alien Vs Predator type of movie I think I'll be happy. Overall this is a excellent movie. Out of the three Predator movies (I just chose to believe the AVP movies never existed) I would have to say this is the second best movie. It was ha hard choice between the first one and this one but I just love the Arnold and the cast of the first movie more. In fact all the Predator movies were great it's just that the first one was the best.

Predator 5/5 Predators 5/5 Predators 2 4.5/5
10 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
A step in the right direction for Predator movies at last.
Smacki9 December 2010
Before I took a chance on this film there was really only one question I wanted answered...

'Is this film going to be another steaming pile of disappointment like the AVP films?'

And the answer, happily, is 'No', though after having to sift through all the unhelpful and uninformative 1 rater reviews here, I never would have guessed. I almost gave this film a miss, but I'm glad I didn't. It was actually quite good, and I'll tell you why (no spoilers I promise).

I think it is important to go into this film with the right expectations. This film returns to the original Predator format, and borrows heavily from the first 1987 Predator film. There are scenes and characters (and even weapons) which are so reminiscent of the first film that they would not be out of place in a remake. I like to view this as very deliberate homage to the original rather than shameless plagiarism, and I enjoyed the film more and feel much happier because of it. Of course this is not a remake. It is a sequel with some major differences from the 1987 film, and enough originality to make it interesting and unique in its own right.

The story is not overly ambitious, they play it straight and the focus is given more to building tension, which it manages to do very well. Because it is a Predator film you kind of know what is going to happen, but it still manages to be suspenseful from the start, and there are quite a few surprises and twists along the way to keep you guessing. The unnerving way the truth of their situation unfolds for the characters is quite enthralling, and reminded me strongly of shows like 'The Outer Limits'.

The characters are interesting and all of them are well portrayed. Some are a little cliché, but the main character played by Adrien Brody is actually more human and teeters on the edge of being a full blown anti- hero.

My only major gripe with this film is that there is little character development. The characters are (as I said) interesting, but there just doesn't seem to be enough time to explore them very deeply. The most you really get is a shallow glimpse of who they might be, which left question marks over some of their motivations. This does make the film slightly forgettable, as you never really end up feeling or caring too much for them, and sometime it feels like they do things just to drive the plot/action forward, rather than because it is something their character might do.

Overall I would give the film a 7 out of 10, it was above average for and action flick and screamed quality, despite a retentively low budget, and I definitely wouldn't mind going to see it again. An entertaining action thriller at worst, and a nice edition to the Predator franchise.
135 out of 172 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Great mix of old and new.
formicidae18 July 2010
I'm surprised at the polarized opinions of Predators here on IMDb. From fans of the original movie (like me), I would have expected a degree of respect for this latest iteration; it seems to honor its predecessors while still offering new twists and depth. Without presenting spoilers, I would simply say that there were developments in Predators that present some exciting opportunities for future films. I also always appreciated Predator for its "gravitas", and Predators continues that somber and grim tradition with arguably better acting.

For new viewers, I don't see what more could have been expected. It's an old concept (The Most Dangerous Game, with hunted humans), but Predators does a good job with it. The acting is great, the lines are not successive groan-worthy quips, the cinematography is delicious, and the soundtrack is fantastic (segments of the original with new score!). Again, the overall plot isn't new, but at least it's not stupid. The characters behave in a realistic manner, and I wasn't plagued by the "why-didn't-they-just-do_____?" question for the entire movie.

Frankly, if you read a review from someone with a rating lower than five, they're just not being fair. Predators AT LEAST deserved to be watched and appreciated for what it offers.
376 out of 511 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Good movie, worth watching
Colin Crook14 December 2010
There is something in the original film that makes you watch it again and again. From the trademark sound effect when a Predator switches vision to the tension of being stalked.

Both and more are used to good effect in this latest instalment. I am a huge fan of anything to do with this storyline/universe, so I may slightly biased in what I say.

Acting was decent, effects were good. I was looking fairly closely at the 'dogs' and they were pretty neatly done.

Storyline was perhaps a little predictable, but then there was enough for this type of movie. Only thing for me that could have been better would be the main characters weapon. It looked to me like an AA12, but it didn't contribute very well to the image of the character. Something that looked a bit meaner perhaps?
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Exciting and thrilling motion picture in which a varied group must fight evil aliens in a dangerous jungle
ma-cortes30 July 2013
Moving Sci-Fi film with plenty of action , chills , thrills and resulting to be pretty entertaining ; including some resemblances to original film . It deals with a group of elite warriors are hunted by members of a merciless alien race known as Predators . They are Royce (Adrien Brody , Nimród Antal specifically chose him for the main protagonist); the Israeli soldier Isabelle (Alice Braga , she is the third brunette actress who appears in the "Predator" series, following Elpidia Carrillo and Maria Conchita Alonso) ; the Chechenian soldier Nikolai (Oleg Taktarov , who hit his face on a Steadicam camera and started bleeding , he insisted that filming continued to add effect to the scene); the San Quentin criminal Stans (Walton Goggins who along with other actors did their own stunts in the cliff fall scene); the Serra Leoa militia Mombasa (Mahershalalhashbaz Ali); the drug lord Cuchillo (Danny Trejo , Robert Rodriguez's usual); the Yakuza Hanzo (Louis Ozawa Changchien); and the Doctor Edwin (Topher Grace) awake and they encounter an alien force that begin to attack one by one . The group has to confront nearly invisible aliens , even over an eight-foot-tall with an armoury of sophisticated weapons that tear apart . As aliens dispatch comrades before the impressive final showdown .

This nail-biting picture contains action-packed from start to finish , gory scenes aplenty , thrills , emotion and entertainment . Action movie told in terms of jungle warfare in which a misfit bunch formed by strange roles battle malicious extraterrestrials . This is a brutal , violent and exciting sci-fi thriller that scales new heights of savagery even by the standards of previous Predator films . The result is a throughly violent but undeniably thrilling action movie with a strong cast giving sweatily good value to their abrasive characters . The ending part is particularly exciting stuff though it makes no great sense . Excellent makeup by professional experts , Greg Nicotero and Howard Berger , and magnificent FX , especially the semi-invisibility which is very well realized . Thrilling and suspenseful musical score by John Debney (Sin City) ; Debney was quoted as saying that his score will be influenced by Silvestri's original score for the 1987 film . In fact , the final credit is heard the classical soundtrack by Alan Silvestri from Predator I . Colorful cinematography but sometimes dark , although all the main locations were filmed in Hawaii, 60% of the movie was shot in Texas in order to be eligible for a tax benefit . The motion picture shot in 53 days was well directed by Nimrod Antal though Neil Marshall, Michael J. Bassett, Bill Duke, Marcus Nispel, Peter Berg and Darren Lynn Bousman were considered to direct the film. In the end, Nimród Antal was hired because Robert Rodriguez enjoyed Antal's earlier films ¨Kontroll¨ and ¨Vacancy¨ .

Other film about Predator series are the following : The original and the best ¨Predator¨ (1987) in which Arnold leads a team of CIA-hired mercenaries into the Central American jungles , being filmed by John McTiernan with Arnold Schwarzanegger , Jesse Ventura , Bill Duke , R.G. Armstrong , Carl Weathers ; ¨Predator 2¨(1990) in which the alien has inexplicably returned to L.A , being directed by Stephen Hopkins with Danny Glover , Bill Paxton , Ruben Blades , Maria Conchita Alonso and Gary Busey . Furthermore, ¨Alien vs. Predator¨ (2004) by Paul Anderson with Sanaa Lathan , Raoul Bova , Lance Henriksen , Colin Salmon , Tommy Flannagan and ¨Aliens vs. Predator 2¨ (2007) by Strause Brothers with Steven Pasquale , Reiko Aylesworth , John Ortiz , Johnny Lewis and Robert Joy .
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Not quite the original, but still good.
cilersrealm24 July 2010
In a season of remakes, re-imagining's and sequels, Predators certainly lives up to what's expected of it. It's a re-imagining of the classic 80's action movie which had Arnie take the reigns as the leader of a super band of commando's being hunted by an extra terrestrial in the middle of the (jungle), and ended up spawning quite a franchise, consisting of a sequel, and 2 movie mash ups, the Alien vs. Predator films. Fans of the original and followers of the franchise can be forgiven for being weary of this remake (after all, I was), but believe me, Predators is the best in the series since the original.

Predators, as the name suggests, features more than 1, which alone makes you wonder how true to the original this will be. Well, the movie approaches this question in a strange way. First, it takes the original premise of a band of elite warriors being hunted by an unstoppable alien menace, and gives quite a unique and refreshing twist, delivering another band of elite warriors, but this time being hunted by 3 Predators, and on THEIR planet, rather than Earth. Then on top of this, Predators takes much of what made the original great; the cheesy dialogue, the big guns, the crude humour, and even some of the same great moments, and adds them in to give Predators its own unique style, while still paying a worthy homage to the classic. There are some direct references to please the original fans, but it's not spoiled by filling it with references that only the die-hard fans would understand like many other movies are. Most of the action scene's deliver and the fire fights are well done. The scenery of the planet is beautiful (though it's actually only Hawaii), and the movie generally has a good pace, despite some times where this falters. And I have to award bonus points for the movie's opening: it was a unique way of introducing us to the situation, and without giving too much away, it sucks you in, even if it is a little far-fetched.

But don't get too excited, the movie definitely has its problems. Some of the dialogue, especially of one character is just bad, and I'm still not sure whether or not it tried to do it purposely and just failed, or if the writers just scribbled down anything they could think of at the last minute. Then there's also some back-story and deeper meaning to the entire Predator universe and their scenario, which is nice, but at times it really drags on and takes the rest of the movie down with it. There's also one specific scene, which includes a homage to the original, but is ridiculous, and apart from the reference, it's almost laughable. One of the biggest things that got me though, and it may not annoy others, is the amount of Predator screeches and screams. It seemed as though every 5 minutes, another Predator was screaming for some unknown reason. Maybe he didn't hit what he was aiming for, maybe he trod on a sharp rock, or maybe his Predator wife left him and he's not taking too well, but any way I don't care what's happened, so please stop screaming at me! The casting is strange to say the least. Adrien Brody, trying to channel the essence of Schwarzenegger, and who would have been my last pick as an action hero, pulls off the role surprising well. Most of the actors perform satisfyingly, and the brief appearances by Laurence Fishburne and Danny Trejo are a nice touch. My only queries with the casting are that of Topher Grace. He spends the entire movie seeming out of place, not quite fitting in to the situation, and at no point is he even slightly convincing as the character he is meant to portray.

Predators was released with some big shoes that it knew it had to fill, and so instead of trying to outdo the original or be new and fresh, it uses what made the original great to its advantage. I must say kudos to Nimrod Antal for directing, and kudos to the make-up department, because they definitely outdid themselves with this project. Predators is a refreshing shot in the arm to a nearly dead franchise, and stands out in the ocean of movie remakes and sequels that Hollywood is churning out. For what it's designed to be, an action blockbuster popcorn flick, it definitely delivers.
129 out of 191 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Wonderful fun!
acu76119 October 2010
Loved every minute of this movie. Was it Oscar material? NO! However, it was entertaining and fun to watch from start to finish. The characters are pretty thin and not much story develops outside of just staying alive. Royce is the "cool" guy in the squad and all the best lines come from him. Although the Topher Grace and the "death row" inmate have some classic lines also. I just want to add how nice it was to see the Predators doing what they to best again. No more Alien hunting. This is a true follow-up to the original and everything is kept very simple. Shoot a lot of bullets, miss every time and get killed in a horrible way. Perfect!
32 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Different, less tech, best characters. I watch it over and over
wewilsons9 April 2012
First time I saw this movie I was surprised at how different it was from the first 2. I later bought it on sale and just cant stop watching it. The characters, their interaction, how they work together and how they settup for continued relationship with the outworlders just amazes me. I love the scene where the criminal jumps on the Predator "F-you space fa&&*t"

Sometimes something different is better. The first movie was exceptional in how different it was and the fun characters. The second movie went to one extreme of bloodiness and how outrageously brave and durable little humans could seem to be. This third movie become the other extreme of really knowing the characters. I love it. If we can see generations of Earth's best matchup against these predators and then maybe even join them against a common enemy later on ? This series hasn't even begin to be exhausted.

Really awesome movie by itself for the military minded AND a great intro to a whole new set of space alien genre films.

These movies get better and better and better. Awesome.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
They can hear you. Smell you. They see you.
Spikeopath15 July 2010
Predators is directed by Nimród Antal and stars Adrien Brody, Topher Grace, Alice Braga, Laurence Fishburne, Oleg Taktarov & Danny Trejo. It's co-produced out of 20th Century Fox by Robert Rodriguez, John Davis & Elizabeth Avellan, with writing credits going to Michael Finch, Alex Litvak and Jim & John Thomas. It's shot on location in the Hawaiian jungle with Gyula Pados on cinematography, while John Debney reworks Alan Silvestri's score from the 1987 film Predator.

The plot sees eight former members of Earth - mercenaries, soldiers, criminals and a doctor, who are literally dropped into a jungle on an alien planet. Why or how they got there is not known, but pretty soon it is apparent they must work together for they are being hunted by an unseen enemy. Hunted, it seems, for sport.

In 1987 John McTierrnan gave the movie world Predator, a ballsy Vietnam allegory that pitted Arnold Schwarzenegger and a host of other considerably sized beefcakes against one bad ass mandible wearing alien hunter. Since then the franchise has steadily got worse (though the Danny Glover led sequel is far from a disaster), reaching a crushingly bad nadir with Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem in 2007. Enter Robert Rodriguez who in the mid 90s had done a treatment for a Predator sequel - with Schwarzenegger in mind to return. However, it didn't happen and it's only now, with the franchise at rock bottom, that his script has been reworked and funded to give us Predators, the sequel to McTiernan's 87 ball buster.

The set up is a little different but in truth the formula is exactly the same as the original movie. Macho guys and a girl in the jungle are being hunted by something very bad. Alpha male, though, is not going to take it lying down, cue deaths, explosions and much macho posturing. Here in is the main problem with Antal' s movie, it's ticking the same boxes whilst homaging for all it's worth, which is fine since it's hugely entertaining in that Saturday night popcorn way. But there's little to no braveness in the writing. Sure there's some bonuses in the form of alien pets, a predator feud arc and a bonkers midsection with the introduction of another character. Yet as the carnage unfolds, the plot doesn't go anywhere other than where we expect it to go, while there's a huge character misstep in the final third that is more laughable than being the twister it's obviously meant to be.

However, if taken purely as a piece of salted popcorn, the film delivers enough thrills and excitement to warrant the viewing because the action comes thick and fast. From the breathtaking opening as we are literally dropped into the jungle with Adrien Brody, to the inevitable face off for the finale, we have been treated to stabs, chops, thrusts, dismemberment's, beheadings and everyones personal fave - spine ripping! All this and there's barely any blood spilt, lest the green kind counts of course? While the new look predators are awesome, more meaner in tone, with new armour and devoid of the pointless characterisation that others in the franchise have tried to give them, these are unremitting killers, lets leave them like that please! And while it lacks the dark humour of McTiernan's movie, it does have a wry sense of knowing, normally with the portrayal of Royce by Brody.

Brody is just fine, it's a performance that shows that should he ever want to make the easy money available in action/adventure type movies? Then he will have no problem getting work. He's buffed up, given himself a gruffer voice and more than shows a capable hand at punching, firing and sticking the tongue firmly in cheek. The others, unsurprisingly, are walking clichés, with some obviously only there to be deathly slotted more quickly than the others. The fun here is in waiting to see who gets it first/next and etc. It has to be said, though, that Topher Grace is not only annoying, he's also very miscast, but in fairness he's not exactly helped by the writing of his character either.

Not great but hugely enjoyable popcorn fodder. A sequel would be welcome, but with Rodriguez directing and a new face on the writing panel. 7/10
107 out of 161 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
PREDATORS Rocks!!!!
Megatron12346 November 2010
This movie was sweet. Both a nice retelling and sequel of the first Predator movie. Some people don't like this movie because there's not a lot of action. I hate that. There's more to an action movie than the action. There's suspense and build-up. This movie had those. They brought back the music from the first one and kind of modernized it and had scenes and lines similar to the first to try and please the Predator fan. Worked for me. While making this movie, the writers and staff were told to only use the first Predator as a reference which is why it was so similar. I loved the way they brought back Long Tall Sally by Little Richard at the credits. Nice homage to the helicopter scene from the first one. The acting was good and so were the lines, but it could've done without the 30+ F-words. The ending to me was a disappointment, though. So, all in all, really good movie if you're not picky about redone scenes from the original and redone music. 10/10 stars forever and ever!
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
A Nutshell Review: Predators
DICK STEEL5 July 2010
Just to clear the air, this film is not a reboot or a remake of Predator and its associated follow ups. Rather, it is an able complement to the established mythos, adding its own two cents worth to an expanding franchise, even though it chose to ignore the crossover hybrids with the Versus Aliens films, and connects itself directly to the first Predator film by John McTiernan starring Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Produced by Roger Rodriguez and directed by Nimrod Antal who did films like Kontroll, Vacancy and Armoured, Predators clearly met its objectives it set out to achieve without flashy fanfare, with Antal providing assured direction in the many set action pieces that don't rely on the hair-tearing quick MTV-styled cuts so just to let you know everything's kinetic and hyper. Some scenes will also get your eyebrows raised at how gory and violent this installment can get, with in-your-face dismemberment, and even one which shows how cruelly wicked the Predator can be with a move that closely resembles a "finish him" from Mortal Kombat.

The story is kept simple with one primary plot, and that is to witness how a band of para- military personnel get to outwit and outlast the Predators as they learn that they're prey and game for the alien beings, which are armed to the teeth in advanced weaponry, armour and various sensors like infra-red, with electromagnetic pulses ready to discharge and wreck havoc on human rifles. It's not a fair fight, especially when it comes to the famed cloaking camouflage that gives the Predators an advantage.

But hey, who says hunting sport has to be fair anyway? In fact, this film only serves to cement the franchise plot point of having as many characters as possible to add to body count, and we're almost unlikely to hope for anyone to emerge unscathed when faced with such odds. But well, Schwarzenegger's character did it in the first film through a simple battle strategy, so perhaps this group of rag-tags have some of the same luck as well. Given the Predator's penchant to play with their game, don't expect instant blood and gore as a few teasers have to be in place, before the first death occurs (well, death to an unidentifiable actor, is no count)

Leading the team is Adrien Brody's reluctant soldier of fortune, who decides early on that while he's a member of the human tribe, he's not going to forge any emotional bonds with anyone, being quite dogged and determined to leave the gaming planet alive. This of course irks Isabelle (Alice Braga) the female soldier from Israel who holds a few secrets of her own, and others from the likes of Chechnyan soldier Nicolai (Oleg Taktarov) to the odd one out in Doctor Edwin (Topher Grace), given the rest have tasted real life action in the killing fields, now brought through alien abduction to a planet whose atmosphere is almost identical to Earth, for a game of survival skills.

The story also allows time to dwell on moral dilemma and ethical issues that fighters face in combat, with the strategies employed by the Predators seem to have come out of familiar theatres of war and rules of engagement, where traps are set not to kill but to maim, and fellow survivors forced to make hard decisions as to saving their new found compatriots, or whether it's all man for himself. While offering no surprise twists, with the A-list cast here you can bet that they are all roles which offer a slight challenge, and to see how what we have assumed is the rabbit of the group, able to flip the other way round gradually to reveal some violent, inner ambition.

One of the selling points here is of course watching Adrien Brody play the brooding action hero complete with bulging biceps and washboard stomach. The lack of young, emerging alpha-males in the action genre has somehow led to dramatic actors such as Jake Gyllenhaal and now Brody to hit the gym to buff up for films that require the baring of torso, to make the characters they play more believable, since they are soldiers of sorts hell bent on saving the day. Laurence Fishburne did what he could with his limited appearance in becoming the oracle that is to educate everyone on what conditions are like on the unnamed planet.

But one thing that will be missed, is those frequent POVs as seen through the Predator's eyes and hi-tech helmet. The filmmakers seem to want to steer clear of this since it doesn't offer anything new, but I always thought it was cool to adopt the Predator's first perspective. That aside, Predators delivered when it mattered, even though the story seemed like a shade of the original, and the aliens aren't really using the entire plethora of weapons available to them. One can continuously make the Predator films since this one opened doors, and it'll be interesting to see how others apply their take on the mythos now.
202 out of 320 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Finally a worthy sequel to a great original
Nicolas M18 December 2010
It's clear they had a real long look at the original film and decided to keep the best pieces (the tension, the focus on group interaction, the music) but also try new things with it to attain the same feel of mystery the original was so good at.

The visuals are gorgeous, the acting solid, the writing exciting. And what I really love is the fact that there is very little use of CGI. What little there is, is convincing or subtle. Laurence Fishburn's appearance was a complete surprise to me and I loved his character. Though it reminded me a bit of Pandorum.

Like Sade said: "Never as good as the first time," but still a very well-crafted film.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Echos the Predator of Old!
Ghani21 October 2010
This movie is great. It doesn't insult the viewers like AVP did, this movie doesn't touch on those two films at all. It uses the original film for background and thats all. It was very well written and well acted.

Adrien Brody impressed the hell out of me in this film but the entire cast was well selected. Alice Braga does an excellent job of playing her character but not over playing her character. That's a serious pet peeve of mine and finally someone got it right.

People who say this movie sucked need to crawl back under the rock they came from and come back out when they grow a brain. Not an Oscar worthy flick but a damn good one anyway.

8/10 only because I predicted the ending in the first 10 minutes.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Disappointment Factor: 10
frenchmonkeys10 July 2010
It seems to me that anyone watching this will probably have already seen the original 1987 Predator starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, and probably most of the other movies featuring the predator race. If that's true, then you've nothing to gain by seeing this - those who suggest it's new material must have seen a different movie.

In the previews, a big deal is made about how this film is different - new super predators, multiple alien species, takes place on an alien planet, etc. Sadly, the differences are actually minimal, and this is simply a study in plagiarism.

Largely military personnel are cut down by a group of predators. Sorry, super predators. You can tell the difference because they're a few inches taller, have bigger teeth, and their shoulder mounted canons have a different special effect. Should have spotted that.

They're in a jungle. Oh, but not an earth jungle (despite one character recognising and naming the plant life from his knowledge of Earth based plants - incidentally, allegedly a doctor, not a botanist, which is a curiosity in itself).

When you add to this mix one female member of the group to match the mix in the original, the predator whispers from the first movie (not used in a similar way, the same words, which the predator copied from hearing Mac say them in the first movie, but are not spoken by humans in this one...), the same lines being delivered by the main characters as Arnie used, precise duplications of specific camera shots, similar traps as Arnie made towards the end of the first movie, and a final battle between a mud covered human and the last remaining predator, and so on, and so forth.

Yes, there are some differences. For instance, the action starts almost right away, with no chance to meet the main characters and know anything about them as happens in the first, they are just thrown into the action and left to fend for themselves, with nothing but some crap dialogue and, oh, magically, a similar assortment of weapons as Arnie's team.

I watched aghast as the characters are slaughtered one by one. Not because I cared about them, but because so much more could have been done with them before they're offed. The Russian spetsnaz guy, elite special forces, probably the toughest, best trained special forces personnel in the world, is shown to be a trigger happy moron. I know it's an American movie and they have to show US forces as the be all end all of the world's fighting men, but please, this is ridiculous. The yakuza finds an old samurai blade to wield (and uses one of his few lines as a copy of one in Predator 2 commenting that they've been doing this a while) - convenient that the only old fashioned weapon there was just what he was proficient in using, don't you think. And what does he get to do with it? Anybody else seen Seven Samurai? Yep, plagiarism again as he uses it to duel with the predator, having stayed behind to fight him - just like Billy from the first movie, amazingly enough.

I would give this movie one star for it's weak story, weak script, poor acting and unashamed duplication of other films if it wasn't for a great performance from Laurence Fishburne which was sadly far too short, and again, his character was utterly wasted. Still, his few minutes of screen time lift my vote to three stars... albeit grudgingly.

I expected more of a movie with Robert Rodriguez pulling the strings even if it was Hungarian director Nimrod Antal at the helm. I even fell into that old Hollywood hype trap and expected at least halfway decent entertainment for my money having seen the trailer - but the most promising scene in the trailer, where the protagonist is lit up by multiple red dot sights from shoulder canons doesn't actually appear in the film at all.

If you want more predator action in your life, go rent the original again - it may be dated and a bit cheesy in places, but it's a far better way to spend your money, even if you have already seen it many times over.
147 out of 243 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Not a radical departure from expectations but a solid sci-fi actioner
movedout6 July 2010
It is important to note that despite it's perspicuous title, Nimrod Antal's "Predators" is no reboot of its establishing material. It's a honest-to-goodness sequel to the first two Predators films; a long awaited one at that after a couple of detours into the realm of crossovers into the "Alien" universe. It does however represent a stylistic update and intriguing expansion of the franchise's filmic mythology that also spans Dark Horse Comics' graphic novels and its video games.

However, if there ever were to be a more convincing statement of intent in relaunching this franchise, it would have been putting its marquee producer Robert Rodriguez to work in a film so suited to his aesthetics and stylistic idiosyncrasies. But Rodriquez's pick to helm this film almost proves to be reason enough to watch this given that Nimrod Antal is one of the most exciting directors around these days. Antal's direction has always coincided with his a strong sense of atmosphere and character development. With his fascinating debut, "Kontroll" and his cleverly constructed meta-slasher, "Vacancy" as well as with last year's taut action spectacle "Armored", Antal has shown himself to be an effective genre director in that he's both comfortable in affirming a particular genre as he is deconstructing it. And in "Predators", he infuses it with not just a showcase of tried and tested sci-fi ideals but also a discernible impression of a robust horror film.

Antal keeps things moving along at an exhilarating pace by introducing a rag-tag team of mercenaries and criminals getting air-dropped into a highly tropical and vegetative alien planet tailored by the ruthless and single-minded Predator race as a game reserve for the insufficiently armed humans and other prey. Its mise-en-scene immediately hearkens back to the jungle warfare of the first "Predator". As the movie gods demand, the herd gets thinned as the race of alien hunters reveal themselves to be superior in both their technology and understanding of game theory. Kept alive by de facto leader, the preternaturally perspicacious Royce (Adrien Brody), the band of humans begin to formulate their plan of survival against the truly fearsome Predators and their formidable weaponry.

Brody's presence seems almost folly at first – a gruff vocal inflection worthy of Christian Bale's in "The Dark Knight" underscores a predictably rote tough guy but to his credit, a good actor always manages to sell his act despite himself. Like his character, who sees no virtue in human connection but instead adopts a ranger-like approach to survival, Brody doesn't seem to create much chemistry with his cast mates in his relatively new role as action hero. The rest of its main supporting cast are split of into archetypes – Alice Braga is Isabelle, an Israeli soldier and its burgeoning conscience, Topher Grace plays Dr. Edwin, the geeky comic relief and notably, the talented Walter Goggins of TV's "The Shield" and "Justified" is the smarmy knife-wielding death-row convict, Stans. Also, rounding of the surviving humans is the reticent Yakuza gangster, Hanzo (Louis Ozawa Changchien) and the relatively noble Chechnyan soldier, Nikolai (Oleg Taktarov).

Antal manages this character list well enough. As the chase progresses, you get a distinct feel of each human before they start to fall victim to their raison d'être. Besides a late flurry of actual and conspicuous violence, "Predators" actually fares better in its early scenes where the humans explore their predicament and the film plays the suspense card remarkably well. There's an actual interest in finding out the psyches of these mysterious humans who are hunters and monsters on Earth but scurrying mice on the Predator's turf.

If anything else, the script provides little genuine surprises in it storytelling. Given its inherent similarities, the film bares a stunning amount of resemblance to last year's terrific "Pandorum" – where a space crew wakes up with no memory onboard a vessel designed as a Noah's Ark of sorts to vicious creatures hunting them. There's a scene with Laurence Fishburne as the planet's loony veteran survivor that cribs more than just mood but actual dialogue from the superior film.

"Predators" doesn't change the game too much but as far as delivering a solid and experience to its fanbase, it releases itself from the shackles of relying on crossovers and re-establishes the Predator as one of Hollywood's most fertile sources of sci-fi villains.
181 out of 303 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
A huge disappointment
Shawn Watson10 July 2010
I went in with average expectations and I was still let down. The Predator's good name has been tarnished over the years by turning what was once a scary monster into a franchise that sells toys to kids. Crossing it over with Alien was a bad idea that resulted in an indescribably awful film in 2004 and, impossibly, an even worse film in 2008. As far as I was concerned the franchise was dead. Fox had eviscerated it in a way that even the Pred himself was find appalling.

But then came Robert Rodriguez to the rescue. R-Rod apparently wrote the script in 1994 as Predator 3 and ever since it had been in production hell. The internet rumors said it was a remake, then a reboot, then R-Rod assured us it was a straight-up sequel to the long-underrated Predator 2 and that it would disregard the AvP travesties.

Well thank Jeebus for that because the arrogant and philistine nature of all of these wretched reboots/reimaginings is really getting on my nerves. But answer me this...why, if this IS essentially Predator 3 and not a remake, do R-Rod and Nimrod Antal spend 90% of the film referencing the first Predator and cramming in-jokes into the story. And why, if they hated AvP so much, did they lift dialogue corresponding to an identical scene and re-use it?

BE YOUR OWN FILM!!!

There ain't none of guts, and grit, and grain of McTiernan's tour-de-force from 1987. What we get in 2010 is a glossy, slick, CGI-coated fanboy's wet dream.

Seven tough guys and a latino chick (sound familiar?) find themselves on an alien planet and soon deduct, through repetitive exposition, that they are there to be hunted. The first 30 minutes are somewhat muted (echoing McTiernan's approach) before they, as expected, begin to die one-by-one. How original.

It's almost impossible to list the many, many faults in the script, but I'll try. My first grievance is that the motivations of the characters are so undefined I'm dubious as to whether not they actually exist. Adrien Brody's character (Royce, who isn't named until the final minute) is supposed to be the Alpha Male of the group, but he's certainly no Dutch Shaeffer. There's nothing mythic or memorable about him whatsoever, and his methods for defeating the otherworldly antagonists are questionable as well as being mostly irrelevant.

The other six men dropped into the meat grinder are a collection of stereotypes rather than names. The Mexican, the Jailbird, the Russian, The Yakuza, the African and the Doctor. Some are already heavily armed, a few are not. Did the Predator's arm them or were they already clutching weapons? Did the Predators really think that hunting a weedy doctor would make good sport?

But here's the biggest problem with the movie...how the hell did the Predators pick their prey? Did they study them from the space? How did they get the Jailbird? Break into prison and kidnap him without anyone seeing? And if Topher Grace's doctor is supposed to be a serial killer (another plot element that is so poorly delivered I'm confused about whether or not it qualifies as actually existing) then how the hell would the Predators be able to figure that out? Do they have some sort of space detective agency that determined he'd be a worthy prey to take across the galaxy? Absolute nonsense!

A lot of hype preceded Larry Fishburne's role as Noland, the survivor/scavenger. But his role is utterly pointless other than to provide a bit of exposition and supply the rest of the characters with more weapons to keep on fighting before he's unceremoniously killed off with bad CGI. He also explains that there are two types of Predator out there, like Wolves compared to dogs. We see, what appears to be, a very skinny and naked Predator hunt Mr. Mad Doctor but once it's dead there isn't even a decent establishing shot of what it really is. But it doesn't matter anyway since, like the boar-dogs, they're completely forgotten about by the next scene.

The four Predators themselves are not scary in the slightest. In Predator he was kept shrouded in mystery and his methods and style gave him personality. In Predator 2, despite being seen more, he was still a deadly and formidable enemy. But here, with four of them vying for screen time, they are just creatures we're waiting to see killed and not anything even remotely terrifying.

And if these characters are supposed to be excellent prey for the Rastafarian Pred-heads then I am suspicious as to what actually counts for decent sport on Planet Predator. These people have the WORST aim in film history. They fire hundreds and hundreds of rounds (presumably they have some sort of infinite ammo cheat code as they certainly are not carrying as much as they fire) but do very little damage to their many pursuers. I don't think they could even hit the floor if they fell on it.

I was relieved to learn that John Debney was using Alan Silvestri's wonderful themes from the first two movies. But he does so little with the material it's almost a carbon copy of the first. It's not like there's nowhere left to go with the themes. Look at how Silvestri reinterpreted his own melodies for Predator 2. Are you telling me that an alien planet filled with awe and mystery couldn't provide a setting for a deeper and more interesting score?

I've had it franchises. Bond. Freddy. Jason. Predator...all of them! I want new movies with new directions. Not stale, decades-old characters and directors more interested in writing love-letters to them than actually making a movie with lasting appeal.

If I wanted to watch Predator I would have stuck-on the Blu Ray. When money is spent on a supposed sequel it should deliver something new. Predators fails on this promise.
39 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
I Wasn't Disappointed...
Danii Disaster29 March 2013
I'm a fan of the "Predator" franchise, and have been looking forward to this movie. Well, it didn't disappoint.

But... oh dear, why did Brody have to talk in that ANNOYING half-whispering voice throughout the whole film? That alone, for some people, was enough to kill the movie's appeal. I cringed when I saw "The Dark Knight" and heard Batman's voice, but it was KIND OF understandable, since Batman was Bruce Wayne in disguise, so he had to do something with his voice in order to avoid being recognized, but what the hell would Royce talk like that for?? It was seriously embarrassing and cringe-worthy...

I think Brody was slightly miscast, actually. Not terribly miscast, but... he's no Arnie. He over-acts and tries too hard to come across as cool, which just renders him unconvincing at times.

Plus, it's 2013 for Pete's sake, so there's no need for these stupid stereotypes -- why does the Russian guy have to appear dumb, carry a chain-gun, and wear that godawful striped shirt? That's not what Russians are like!

Oh, and I think they misused the doctor/psychopath character. They could've done something more with him in the end -- it would've been interesting to see him interact with the Predators and assist them in hunting down the remaining members of the group, but, instead, they chose to kill him off in a predictably dull and unimpressive fashion...

Speaking of predictable... well, of course you know right from the start that the "cool" guy and the broad are going to live and everyone else will be killed off. No surprises there.

But anyway... it's an interesting, suspenseful, well-crafted movie. A must-see.
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Antal and Rodriguez show how its done
rohit-maggon19 October 2010
1987, Governor Schwarzenneger led his team of rag-tag soldiers to a jungle for a rescue op. What they found there (Predator) turned into one of the most memorable creatures to ever endorse the big screen. A number of attempts were made to bring the predator back on screen in a number of different settings but it became more about offering scenarios and explanations about predators as a culture by using the reputation of this magnificent hunter that the first movie had successfully built.

2010, Nimrod Antal along with Robert Rodriguez decided to go back to the first encounter, and decided to build on that. What does one need to make a movie about hunters and their prey, a friggin' jungle. It just makes sense - hiding in trees, observing from a distance, not knowing who or what will attack you from behind, listening for sounds- I can go on and on. And with a fellow like Robert Rodriguez comes a reputation, a reputation to recruit the likes of Adrien Brody, Lawrence Fishburne, Alice Braga and Danny Trejo.

As far as the story goes, it follows in the line of traditional survival horror tactics of having a large number of expendable characters and the big bad monster (monsters in this case). A mildly amusing story is there for those who wish to indulge in some cuckoo twists and turns but it does the job of moving things along, but the the icing on the cake is the expansion on the predators. There is more than one predator, all of them look different from each other confirming a hierarchy in their race and quadrupedal hunting animals controlled by the predators. This adds the much required diversity that predator as a franchise needed and works well in keeping the audience curious about what else can the creators think of.

Performances for the most part are well done, especially Adrien Brody who seems to have put in a lot of work to buff himself up for the role. Only complaints on my part would be the ridiculousness of Lawrence Fishburne and Topher Grace. *Spoiler Topher Grace can never be an evil scheming villain*.The jungle is lush and is a character in itself full of surprises - makes for a fitting hunting ground. The background score again goes back to original movie and works well to create tension.The technology these days has allowed creators to add more detail to the predator designs and the weapons that they carry. The violence and gore look as disgusting and believable as possible which makes the brutality much more real.

Overall, this is the much awaited true sequel fans have been waiting for which has its similarities with the original but is different enough to keep things interesting.

Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Fortified with improved special effects and greater suspense
Jaho Koo27 September 2010
A simple story about people being hunted by alien species combined with awesome special effects and suspense works fantastic in the new Predators movie.

Everything from the first Predator film is back: the game, the hunters, the jungle and the suspense. Nothing is new but everything is upgraded to a high quality standard which makes this the best film of this summer.

The opening of this movie is epic and is easily one of the best openings in a movie. It helps the plot go right to the point with a momentum of energy.

The story is nothing new except it's in bigger scale. Instead of the Predators hunting on earth, they abduct worthy opponents to their planet for game. Adrian Brody portrays Royce, the protagonist who meets other people he must survive with. You will see everything you saw in the first Predator film. There are many references and tie-ins it's almost like a remake.

The acting in Predators is solid and it goes really well with the timing of music and action. There are well executed jump scare scenes throughout the film. Adrian Brody is great; he buffed up and is a totally new character. Don't let his past films get in the way. Also you might see a little less of Lawrence Fishburne than you'd expect which I found his character unnecessary except for the fact that he provides information about the Predators. That could have been done in another way.

There was one scene of character development which was unnecessarily long. Some of this film could have been cut down.

There have been statements that say this movie is predictable. This is only partly true. Predators is an action survival flick that has been fortified. Everything is better since the last installments. The acting and the special effects.

The effects for the Predators are what you would like to see. Some great CG was used in this film and it improves in a visual manner. However some scenes had very bright colors and it was disturbing to the eye. They used the original Predator theme and some of the new soundtracks were effective in increasing the suspense.

Predators is one hell of a film. It's suspense level is extreme; your heart will beat fast throughout the two hours and you don't get many breaks. It's got steady action and a great balance of sound. The sound is never too ear piercing or quiet and adds greatly to the setting. A great edition to the franchise. If you've seen 'Alien vs. Predator 2', have 'Predators' wash that bad taste out of your mouth!

Rating:

★★★★☆ Great
Nothing new, but entertaining
Pdhal kvaag7 October 2010
You gotta wonder how something strong enough to punch through metal walls, or rip your spine out of your back with one hand while you're alive and struggling against it, could realistically be defeated in hand-to-hand combat by a human being (no more than one occasion...), and I was also left wondering why sometimes their weapons disintegrate their targets and other times they're just plain nonlethal, but other than that - as long as you keep in mind that the predators aren't interested in killing things so much as they are interested in hunting them for sport - the movie is remarkably lacking in the typical huge question signs.

I don't know what you had expected to see when sitting down to watch this movie if you ended up giving it less than 5 or 6 rating. It doesn't to anything new or particularly interesting (though I liked the premise of predators abducting people and dropping them on the preserve), but the action is solid, the acting is solid, and the characters are interesting AND they're not (too) huge idiots.

My biggest gripe is that I really would've liked to see survivors be rewarded with a trip back home in typical honorable hunter-style, which would seem to fit with predator behavior. Yeah they abduct you, throw you out of airplanes while you're unconscious and then hunt you, kill you, skin you, rip your spine out and make a trophy out of your skull, but they usually give respect where respect us due - and respect is due to any human who manages to defeat one of them. But I guess the ending we got was alright.
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Ugh. What a way to ruin the Predator reputation....
lilo-anela9 July 2010
After reading the reviews and watching the trailer, I was excited to see the movie. One word...terrible. Have you ever started watching a movie and it didn't start off very good, but you think to yourself, 'Hmmm, I did just pay $10 to see this movie. I'll just stick it out. I'm sure it gets good.' Then as you continue on in the movie the writing gets worse, the music doesn't fit, and the acting is questionable, but again you think, 'Okay. It's been like 45 minutes, i'm sure its gonna get good now. It's really too late to leave. What if I leave and then it gets good. No. No. I'll just stay.' And the movie continues to get worse and worse. By the end you are upset and think, 'Okay this is the end. Please, please redeem yourself. Dazzle me.' Ugh, the ending is god awful. You walk out of the movie theater feeling disgusting for falling for such a sham. Then this supposed 'action' film starts playing this completely random song that sounds like Rockin' Robin by Little Richie... What?! Didn't this battle just happen between human and Predator and now you are playing a Rockin' Robin sound-a-like song? Odd. Cheesy, Cliché, Predictable, and Out of place. They spend more time showing the entire cast come through a door rather than showing them make traps which they out of the blue start talking about. "They see our traps." What? What traps? Did you see them make any traps? No, but I did spend 2 minutes watching the entire cast climb through a door. If you start watching the movie and you start getting that feeling like 'Hmmm, this is terrible. Nah, I'm sure it will get good.' I suggest you trust your gut, leave before you reach the half way point, and get your money back. Epic fail.
109 out of 183 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
A filmmakers anticipation: If an action flick isn't dumb, the audience wont understand
christian_e12 July 2010
Just have been in the cinema. I was an IMDb victim. Yeah, because of the (in sum) good reviews. Now i know it was the 'this is different, so i have to praise it in order to get praised' reflex. The difference is to use (one) quality actors.

This movie is bad. Worser than T4. There is not one believable scene and now we come to this argument: believable.

Scifi is meant to be a genre were interesting situations appear. situations, which normally wouldn't happen, like dropping on an alien planet and survive against alien hunters. As long as people react real, it could be very entertaining how they manage to survive and what you, the audience would do. There is no deus ex device in this flick, but it wouldn't make any difference:

• 8 people staying rooted on the spot shooting with their Gatlings until out of ammo on one wolf like creature with no success - a moment later one shot does it right??

• They use rotten one liners like "i am ready to die, you too?", "doesn't matter who they are or where there come from, i kill them all"

Dumb scene - dumb dialog... ...and so on alternating until the credits.

Dumb action scenes are NOT interesting, they DO NOT make tension, they are just annoying.

Antal Nimrod took the opposite way what made predator or aliens so great.

Nimrod must think very bad of his audience. He don't want us to think while and after about this movie. Adrien Brodys mission is to talk us from one scene to the next with constant conclusions about the situation which are only knowable if his character 'royce' has the script in his pocket (besides he immediately identified a plasma weapon).

Brody, a known actor of format must have denied reading the script or is quality management not meant to be used by the actors? His role is unbelievable nonstop-nonsense, paired with the batman voice.

The rest are mega-close ups, close combat scenes and jungle.

Some days ago i saw Rambo (first blood) again. Yesterday the original Predator. Action movies with interesting character and/or story are not common these days.

Action filmmakers today get caught by the coolness trap. Just to say its cool doesn't make it cool, more the opposite. A little less polemic in an example: Dutch (Schwarzenegger) and Dillon (Weathers) are Predator original characters. They are always trying to be cynical with a smirk on their face. When things go dangerously wrong, they act like everybody else, but face the situations and don't try to be cool anymore but to survive until the air is cleared. That makes them lifelike and touchable. Royce (Brody) just try to be cool, because the script says so. He doesn't make any facial expressions, nor he makes any interesting character streaks. He is just here. Like any other character in Predators.

In this movie, they (Nimrod and Rodriguez) tell you everything: who is cool, what you have to think, why the character do what they do except of doing it the logical and less dangerous way, but they owe as an explanation why they are allowed to handle millions of dollars for this outcome.

There are some other major problems, like the use of thinkable every possible clichés (fe: Russians wear blue-white striped shirts), the use of archetypes, shaky-cam, and so on... Forget this flick. It is garbage. Or don't believe me and see for yourself but be aware that you subsidize future film projects of this 'format' and nothing will change.
110 out of 185 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Not perfect, but not the abomination I was expecting.
mr_killt7 October 2010
First of all, I've seen the first Predator at least a hundred times. I could re-enact the whole thing right in front of you. I've seen it so many times, I even watched it once in Spanish with French sub-titles. And with the way Hollywood seems to rape all the things I hold dear (i.e. transformers, AVP, G.I Joe, etc.) I was really hoping I wouldn't leave the theater crying or punching the wall. This is the first time in a while I've actually gone to the theater more than once to see the same movie and it has, for me, stood up to multiple viewings. Sure there's holes in the plot (how can everybody know English?) but I don't think it deserves some of the trashing it gets here. I guess I like how there really are no "good guys" in this movie since everybody in it is a ruthless killer. I did find that the new 'super' predators were a little unnecessary-- sort of the angry africanized bees of the predators-- but I can live with it. I really can't believe the Expendables gets a better rating than this, now THAT'S an abomination!!
16 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?