MacGyver (TV Series 2016–2021) Poster

(2016–2021)

Mucked-Gyver
Wizard-824 September 2016
When I was a teenager, the original "MacGyver" was one of my favorite TV series. So you may think that when I first heard they were rebooting the series I was pumped. Actually, my first thought was, "Uh... I'm not sure about this." That's because I have found reboots and remakes overwhelmingly are greatly inferior to the originals. But when I found that key people from the original series (like series creator Lee David Zlotoff and executive producer Henry Winkler) were returning, a little hope sprung in me.

Well, I watched the pilot episode. I admit it wasn't without merit; the action and stuntwork was fairly well done. But for the most part, I was very disappointed with what I watched. I could make a list of a number of things of what I didn't like about what I saw, but I'll stick with the two biggest beefs I had:

(1) In the original series, MacGyver was a very likable guy. He was smart, but he always remained humble with his abilities to make gizmos and get out of tight situations. However, in this remake, MacGyver is a real turn-off for the most part. His annoying narration and his brash attitude in almost every situation makes him an irritating braggart. There is precious little warmth and humanity in this guy. I don't really blame the actor playing this new MacGyver for this - he is playing MacGyver as dictated by the script and the direction, and when he's given a quieter moment he does come off in an okay fashion. But as I said, the direction and writing for the most part do him no favors.

(2) In the original series, when MacGyver got to work making a homemade gizmo or thinking out of a bad situation, the show took the time for him to go step by step with this. This technique built some compelling mystery, making viewers think while this was going on, "What is MacGyver pulling off?" Then when MacGyver pulled it off, it was a satisfying payoff. In this reboot, however, MacGyver pulls off his gizmos and escapes from bad situations in just a few seconds! No suspense, no mystery, no interest.

Look, I understand that a good reboot (if there is such a thing) will put its own spin on things. But at the same time, you should not destroy the core of the concept that made the original popular in the first place. This is the main flaw of this reboot.

It's possible that things will improve in the next few episodes. More than one TV show has improved over time. So I will watch the next few episodes. Though I'm not getting my hopes up too much.
277 out of 341 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is definitely NOT MacGyver...
Dr_Sagan24 September 2016
I used to watch the original series back in the 80s so it is unavoidable to compare that series with its 2016 reboot.

80s Macgyver was a secret agent with a difference! He was quiet, modest, mild mannered, deeply principled and refused to carry a gun on his missions.

2016's MacGyver is more like a caricature of 007 and Mission Impossible.

The pilot episode starts ridiculously: "Here's my assistant Nikki. She has 156 science awards from MIT and NASA. 50 companies including Google, Apple, SpaceX, Samsung and PepsiCo offered her a gazillion dollars to work for them but she refused, so to work for $200/week in my secret organization. Did I mention she is 25 y.o. and smokin' hot? Oh, Yes she is! and I bone her over some fake computers we have in this series as props!".

"And here is my other friend Johnny Rambo. He saved my life in Algeria, Angola, Liberia, Djibouti, Burundi, Malaysia, Bangladesh but please...please DO NOT talk to him about that time in Cairo."

"And this other smoking hot woman, tall and exotic and super-duper top secret spy, that you never heard of, is my ...boss".

"And who am I, you ask? Well, most certainly I'M NOT Angus Macgyver."

Honestly, I can't believe the writers. Are they idiots? Have they ever saw the original series?

And what about the Cast. I'm thinking of the charismatic Richard Dean Anderson with nostalgia right now.

Overall: A totally generic sub-par TV series for its own shake, but a total disgrace for baring the name of one of the most iconic heroes on TV.
384 out of 479 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yet another second rate retread......
s327616924 September 2016
Retreads seem to be the "thing to do" as of late. Studio's who seem to be out of ideas, visiting the past for inspiration.

Sad fact is, most of the retreads are "second rate" and MacGyver is no exception. The word that another reviewer used to describe this retread is the same one I would choose, "tiresome".

The original MacGyver worked because it had a fresh and different message. That science "not" violence can be used to peacefully resolve threatening situations. The original Macyver was very much an anti war figure.

By contrast, the retread MacGyver, is a poster boy for "mainstream" values, including, the US military. He's also smug, over confident, a womanizer and frankly, a throughly unlikable jerk. Its tiresome stuff, that in many ways is the complete anti-thesis of the original series. There's no sense of hope and inspiration, as found in Richard Dean Anderson's character.

All in all, a BORE FEST. If you have not seen MacGyver before, my advice, take a look at the original series, it wont disappoint. Two out of ten from me.
236 out of 314 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst Reboot in History
jarrettcdunn27 September 2016
Sorry, but I can't get how ANYONE can say they like this show. I'm not expecting Richard Dean Anderson or anything, but the only thing the show is about is the 'cliche's of MacGyver, not the actual story, Opening Gambit or challenge of the week. Yes, the original MacGyver has voice overs, short voice overs explaining either why he was doing something or where he was to set the stage. It seems over half of the episode is voice over though.

Also the updating it of him being a 'ladies' man so destroys the whole personality of him. He was a ladies man in the original and has girls falling over him not because he was smoking hot and buff (as he is in this) but rather because he was a genuinely good guy. He was an intelligent, modest individual that felt anything could be overcome if one just put some thought into it, and dealt with people with genuine fore thought instead of acting like a bull in a chine closet (see the original's 'Trumbo's World' episode for a perfect example). This MacGyver is a loud mouthed 'bro' vs a soft spoken man with charisma who approaches things with an open mind.

But basically they took all the ancillary parts of the original series and made the new series all about those while throwing out everything that made the original so charming. Instead of it being about story development and slowly learning more and more about the main character it is in your face constant bludgeoning over the head of how smart he is and how he is the most awesome dude ever. Neither of which are MacGyver traits.

All in all don't waste your time. The acting is horrible, the writing is horrible, and the show runners have no idea what made MacGyver episodes so great. You'll just wish you had that part of your life back.
169 out of 242 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Please, god, No!
henrik15069325 September 2016
Almost cried cause it was so bad. Downplaying the audience like we're stupid. Guess target is 13 year old, but that's really stupid when the fact is that the high ratings come from nostalgic grown ups.

I was really excited. that died fast. you know its bad withing first 30 sec. Will not recommend any friends. Will not see next episode. They didn't even keep the whole soundtrack which is 33% of macgyver 33% is his charm (which he has 50% of). 33% is the clever macgyverness (50% again). 1% is "well that was just stupid" which it has 100% of..

Dialog: horrible Actors: poor Plot: horrible Reboot: too much bling MacGyverness: poor

They really made no effort making this good, so it's a bigger disappointment than the last Godzilla movie.

Kill it before it lays eggs.
164 out of 240 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tiresome beyond belief.
gs2023 September 2016
If you were going to produce a show that was as uninteresting as say, Hawaii Five O, you could not do any better than this mess. The frenetic action is almost laughable in as much as the the completely unknown pig eyed hero "star" has absolutely none of the grace of the original Richard Dean Anderson. Sometimes no matter how much money one spends the result may still be crap. Poorly directed, poorly written, it is a total mess. Don't waste your time. It will, I predict, not last more than a season. Boring beyond belief. I suggest you turn your attention to British cop shows. At least they know how to develop a character. I think it's sad that George Eads thought he would do better here than with CSI ...... An astonishing miscalculation on his part.
172 out of 259 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
VERY Disappointing
Man9920423 September 2016
Angus MacGuyver is one of the most beloved TV characters from the 1980s. This is not the prequel that devoted fans were hoping to see.

It appears that no one connected with the new version has ever seen the classic programs - they totally ignore the established characters. They totally ignore all the endearing quirks that made us want to watch the series.

Sadly, no matter how much he tries, Lucas Til is simply NOT a young Richard Dean Anderson. He is far too bland and lacking in personality to play this character.

The plot of the pilot seemed very "recycled".Nothing was new. Nothing was innovative.
150 out of 227 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Episode 1 - OMG - this is NOT 1985 Wargames or 1995 Hackers or MI - Spoilers
shamimislam-669935 October 2016
Really? REALLY? Who writes this crap? Spoiler alert!!!!

1. The hairpin/paperclip handcuff trick gets old really fast 2. The tray as a Frisbee to knock out the guard - stupid? 3. The guard shoots directly at the tray and not the exposed knees of the target 4. Borrowed glasses from Mission Impossible and Person of Interest 5. All these stupid references to Cairo - if you're not going to tell the story, don't tell the story 6. Thornton as a woman just doesn't work - she's not enough of an asshole 7. Nikki escapes from custody in a moving vehicle - REALLY? And she fakes her death but never gets picked up on a camera? 8. The plane landing gear does not go up at all even though the plane is clearly high enough 9. The boat was going straight as it hit the bad guys even though Macgyver set the steering wheel to turn 10. The thing with the camera search and the ex-con was just too much. It doesn't work that way - and facial recognition TAKES HOURS!!!!!! 11. AND THE WORST OF ALL:

WE DO NOT HAVE LOGIC BOMBS in 2016. That was 1985 with Wargames and 1995 with Hackers. Magnetic disks do not have LOGIC BOMBS. Logic bombs do not exist on magnetic disks. Only in firmware. We have encryption in 2016 on hard drives. And booby-traps. And shredders. Not logic bombs. That's insane.

And the creme de la creme: She CRACKED OPEN a magnetic hard drive with a hammer. First, you can't crack it open - it has 5 screws. Second, if you try to crack it open with a hammer, you could scratch the platters. And THIRD but most significant - if you want to prevent data loss, you do NOT expose the disks outside a clean room. And lastly, if Nikki was as an expert like she said she was, it would have been an SSD - in which case, using a hammer would have broken the transistors inside.

Who writes this crap!!!!!!

I am SO HAPPY RICHARD DEAN ANDERSON declined to participate in this trash.
70 out of 105 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's a thriller/ detective/ james bondesque mishmash
jonnithomas24 September 2016
for children of around 12. however that may be an insult to some 12 years olds.

it's poorly written, badly acted and so false and glitzy it goes totally beyond any form of reality or belief.

I really couldn't watch a whole episode as it was totally cringe worthy.

if you want characters and realism don't really don't watch this.

anyone think it will get a second series ???? I would rather walk home in a blizzard than watch this fiasco.

well the issue is that I have to write ten lines about this rubbish. so how do I say it in a different way ?

it is bad, so bad really bad. trust me Jason borne it is not.
123 out of 193 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Underrated and fun to watch
irevah12 November 2018
It's not as bad as the reviews says. It's a funny cool silly action show. Fun to watch
70 out of 106 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How Bad can it be?
langolera26 September 2016
First it started out like a Mission Impossible episode. Then it got worse. Totally miscast. Who wrote this crap??? Has literally nothing to do with the original. Including the show's theme music. Maybe next time, keep with the original concept. And since when does he have a team??? They should have had Henry Winkler do the show. Just then, it might be worth watching. As it stands now, no way am I going to watch another episode. If you are expecting a show like the original, this isn't it. Very disappointed. I was hoping for another good show and it didn't happen. Why does Hollywood insist on doing their own thing still? It isn't working. This show is not going to make it.
64 out of 98 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stop comparing guys...
pimpstress-16-96942214 January 2019
People should really stop comparing this to the 80s macgyver. Its different! Of course it is, cause its not the same. Its never with remakes. But i bet if the show would have been given another name, people would give it a chance and love it as much as i do! But some refuse to new things and just keep being stuck in old stuff.... Unfortunately
54 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Give it a try
erink19839 November 2018
Forget the original. Take that off the table. This show is actually pretty good. Great cast that work well off each other. Great chemistry. First season was a bit slow. Second season was great and continues. Couple episodes I teared up. Every episode I enjoy. Give it a go again people!
61 out of 96 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love this show
godsdesign16 October 2018
I don't understand the complaints on this show. I grew up watching the original one. This one does a good job in it's own way. A reboot isn't supposed to be an exact replica. One of the main reasons I like this show is because it follows the same format as the original one but updated for 2018...not 1987: funny moments, still drama focused, well-rounded supporting cast, stuff blowing up and Macgyver inventions.

Watch this reboot from the beginning with an open mind and without comparing it to the original. Give it a chance and you'll see that it's actually a really good show.
55 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
rodrigues-lisa11 February 2017
I remember the original Macgyver. I couldn't stomach the milquetoast performance of Richard Dean Anderson - he will always be the timid, Dr. Jeff Weber from General Hospital to me.

That being said, I enjoy the science behind the reboot and the idea that Mac has a team and isn't a one-trick-pony who rushes in with a paper clip and bubble gum to save the world.

The new cast - especially George Eads - brings energy to what used to be a drearily executed good idea. Lucas Till is a fresh face and makes Mac more believable Mac as a young war vet. He is in his 20's and looks it. Anderson was already in his 30's when he started in the original.

Anderson said he holds no ill-feelings toward ABC because they pulled the plug on MacGyver. He said it really was a mutual decision. "I was physically exhausted," Anderson said, "really in trouble. We were working 15-hour days and spending four years (on location) in Vancouver really took its toll. The network wanted to try something else."
45 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun, Entertaining, Solid Casting
katstudio8884 April 2019
Lucas Till has the MacGyver torch passed to him and he fits the role brilliantly. I grew up loving the classic series with Richard Dean Anderson but this fresh, modern reboot has my happy approval! It's a show the whole family can watch together, emphasizing intelligence, optimism and practical science instead of guns and gratuitous violence. WIN.
26 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Deserves More Respect
Xander_Angell16 November 2018
Although most people complain about the pilot episode and however many ways it strays away from the original. Here's a few things to keep in mind. I've been watching this show for three seasons now, and let me tell you it strays far away from mac's, uh, "lust". In fact, I don't think they've even mentioned his make out partner (can't even remember her name) from the pilot since season 1. He still finds a girlfriend in season 3, but it's toned way down from what was shown in the pilot. I personally enjoy both versions of Mac. My only wish is that the original theme was kept in the reboot. I really like that song. Other than that, I really think this show deserves more appreciation. It's managed to come back from the flop that was the pilot, and I still enjoy it despite it's differences from the original.
39 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Love the 2016 Macgyver Show!
marymurban1 March 2017
All these people trying to compare the two MacGuyvers. I am 68 years old and like both of them. The times they are a changing. I just want a show that is interesting and relaxing. And I think the 2016 MacGuyver has done that. If you want the original then watch the repeats. I love the new cast and I think they do a good job. I just like to watch him figure out ingenious ways to solve problems. I like the story lines. And I like the "family" connection with his co-workers/friends. So all you vitriolic people it must be difficult to live in the past and not appreciate the present shows. I feel sorry for you.
50 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's a decent show
brentj201115 March 2019
Like many ppl are saying, it's not like the original. It's still good on its own merits. It is a tv show, why ppl are so pissed makes no sense to me.. Television is escapism not the Academy Awards, lighten up or change the channel
36 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Old vs new
john07019 February 2019
Original Macgyver was my favorite series. The new Macgyver is the favorite series of my son. He does not like the original one. I cannot like the new one as the original, but I am watching it together with my son and I find it acceptable. What I cannot afford however is the new soundtrack, I am always expecting to hear the original one and I am always disappointed.
36 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I also watched the old series
brentstansfield22 April 2018
While i also watched the old series with Richard Dean Anderson, I had a bigger problem with Anderson playing the roll, after many years as a soap star on General Hospital, than with the new guy. I eventually got into the old show, and it was pretty good. but the new one is better. Other than George, these are fresh actors, and the FX are ten times better than the old show. Once you remember that this show was intended for a new audience, it's actually pretty good! I have the 80's version on DVD, and after a side by side comparison the new show wins me over. Would it have been better to put Anderson back into this new series? No, he couldn't pull it off.

The main thing to remember is that while it is classified as a reboot, it's actually a new show intended for a new younger audience. Don't turn the the kids away from this show by expecting it to be like the old show. Anderson could not pull this off anymore be cause like you, he is much older now. Just keep an open mind and remember Star trek was a classic, and nobody cared about the constant reboots. Macgyver on the other hand was not a classic and if you watch the new and old side by side, sorry I believe the new show wins.
24 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
MacGyver is underated
rourkeodonnell13 October 2018
The special effect is what I find most impressive and has a good climax for most episodes. I believe you should give this show a try and you might like it.
27 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great fun, terrific cast, exciting every episode
Michael_Takes17 December 2018
I am really wondering if the reviews that give the show a bad score actually watched the show! I would love for IMDB to have some ruling that to review a TV series you have to have watched at least 5 episodes! Some people seem to be unfairly grading a tv series, solely based on it being a re-make!

MacGyver is a terrific show, lots of fun, excitement, and the characters are perfectly cast. I would love this show to last for another 10 seasons.
25 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
meh
jthaule18 February 2021
Not only does it lack the charm and over the top tongue in cheek that made the original so endearing, this version is too dark and serious. People get shot left and right and MacGyver kills people off screen without a second thought. The only things MacGyver shares with the original is that he owns a swiss army knife, which he rarely uses and his leather jacket. Apart from the name that is.

Additionally the decision to make this show about an ensemble cast rather than about MacGyver takes it in a totally different direction from the original.

I feel this is less a reboot than a totally different concept with a bit of label slapping to tie it to a beloved series from back in the day.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
this disgrace burns MacGyver for all future references
gant-1106730 September 2016
I grew up watching the original series back in the 80s.

Everything(!) is off in the new show. Where is the modest, cautious, reasonable and charismatic Richard-Dean-Anderson-MacGyver? This one is James Bond with a PhD and an 80s haircut (because he had to look something like the old Mac?). It doesn't stop there, there is no character that remotely resembles its counterpart of the original series. Everyone is an overachiever. This time, Jack Dalton is young, strong, fast, attractive and has a haircut.

And of-course they messed up the tech stuff ranging from ridiculous to plain wrong. (You cannot disrupt wireless communication with a "strong" DC-powered electromagnet).

What this show already achieved: it burned MacGyver for future references (as in using the common verb "to macgyver sth."): Where you might have dwelled in fond memories of the 80s and RDA solving the problem at hand with chocolate and baking soda, you now picture that new guy doing something ridiculous employing wrong science). Keep in mind: Younger generations will associate MacGyver references with the new show.
49 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.