Secret Magic Control Agency (2021) Poster

Too busy
sinahaase-960-74349726 March 2021
There's just too much going on animation-wise for me. It's so busy and bright and I wish they went with the 'less is more' concept to drive the film. I loved the idea though and my kids and I enjoyed watching it. We were definitely entertained. There were also a few annoying scenes where even though on the journey they should've hit a dead end, something totally impossible unconnected to the story would magically get them out of trouble. But hey, it was a decent movie to watch on Netflix.
17 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Made for kids
ksmail-15 April 2021
As a young adult myself, this felt like it was made for 4-10 year olds.

The little humor that it contained was very childlike and often reminiscent of old cartoon slapstick humor.

The cupcake minions were way too similar to the yellow minions from Despicable me. The villain's evil plan was quite cliché as well.

The story was unengaging and not so memorable. I didn't really like any of the main characters, and the obstacles they came across were somehow overcome very easily.

The only redeeming factor was that it was usually aesthetically pleasing, and with a somewhat immersive world.

Definitely made for kids.
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly good
jarkkoksanen29 March 2021
Used to only seeing movies like this that really work from dreamworks or pixar. Actually a good, fun movie with a lot of fresh ideas and jokes.
11 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing
nefelieleftheria25 March 2021
Funny, beautiful pictures, entertaining, cute characters, watchable for adults.
14 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spies and Magic
kerorogio13 May 2021
Passable, also thanks to his unexpected twist, which while relegating the film to a uniquely young audience, somehow puts to rest the angry ninja attitude of Gretel, a constantly cold character, and therefore not very lovable.

The stormy relationship between the two brothers is functional. Technically the film is nothing special, and apart from the witch Baba Yaga who belongs to the Slavic folklore, together with perhaps the animated sweets (also present in "The Stolen Princess"), the rest appears as a classic low budget product of pure American or Canadian manufacture.

It is obvious that these are no longer the times of Atamanov and Ivanov-Vano, but honestly, from an Eastern European product, albeit collaborative, one would like something alternative and possibly elegant, rather than a mediocre copy.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ideal for family viewing.
faer_kr28 March 2021
A crazy animation, based on the Hansel and Gretel classic.

It is about a special magic agency that has to rescue the king who has been kidnapped, for which they send the best spy and her brother on her mission.

Entertaining Quality.

Generic when it comes to spy and children's movies.

Although it does not bring something new to the genre, it does entertain.

Good animation.

Exaggerated imagination that works.

The music is chord.

Extremely colorful.

Although at times it feels elongated, for one situation after another in the development part.

With moments of light comedy and flatulence.

Talk about family, support, brotherhood, always helping each other. How the actions we ever do always have an impact.

Ideal for family viewing.
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Russians do it right with this one!
babydmeg27 March 2021
Check your reality at the door, sit back and absorb the fun and energy that this colorful romp exudes at every unexpected turn. The color, design, pallette, character development and just plain characters will open your eyes to the future of cgi and computer animation brought to you by Russian writers and engineers. Watch out Pixar! The Russians are coming!
13 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It wasn't perfect but still good for a family movie night.
medovc26 March 2021
The animation was good but not perfect but the message that delivers to the people was very important.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the worst..
savageogre1 April 2021
..animations I have seen.

Å lot of potential wasted as the animations are quite good. The storyline and humor is a big hit&miss and is neither for adult nor kids.

Cannot recommend this. Movie.
8 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
THE BEST FAMILY MOVIE
mikaelaskari25 March 2021
I HAD A FAMILY MOVIE NIGHT AND I PICKED THIS MOVIE THE WHOLE FAMILY AND ME LIKED IT (A MUST WATCH)
12 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent animation
durgeshpkshirsagar9 June 2021
The movie is well storylined and it entertains you till last. Best animated movie.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun, A palette cleanser film
kedireturns23 May 2021
This is one of the best animated movies I've ever seen. It's Pixar Level CGI. Can't believe it's a Netflix original.

Really fun movie with a nice story and ending. It's great a palette cleanser when you don't know what to watch. I liked it more than I expected to!
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It was alright, enjoyable but not memorable.
thepianomanman19 June 2021
I'm a 21 year old man and watched this to get my mind off all the negativity in my environment. The film surely accomplished that for me. I was immersed in its creative world building which was amplified by decent, colourful animation. The story had me surprised at times, not because of plot twists, but because it developed so quickly. The main characters overcome every obstacle with ease. I would have liked to see them struggle more, though I suppose their emotional and family struggle replaced their situational struggles. The emotional struggle was resolved rather quickly too though. I wished they'd given that more time.

Over all, I liked this movie. One thing that REALLY bugged me was the lack of people of color. Almost. Everyone. In. This. Movie. Was. White. You're not telling me this world full of magical creatures and wizards and crazy candy barely have any people of other ethnicities? The only person of color I saw was the technician character. (She was awesome, by the way.) I had hoped for some more diversity, or at least an explanation for the lack thereof.

Simple film. Good animation. Life lessons? Not so much. I did like that the main characters were a brother and a sister instead of the classic trope where the main character falls in love. Though I did think they were gonna be a couple at the beginning (since I didn't know they were siblings.) I was pleasantly surprised by that. I hope the team behind this makes more with everyone's feedback in mind. They have the power to make a masterpiece.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really enjoyable
mountainriver-157653 April 2021
The animation, story line and voice actors are all excellent. It keeps you engaged throughout from start to finish. Good for kids and adults alike. I was pleasantly surprised with the overall quality of the film.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Secret magic
mjidahmadi11 June 2021
Dear sir As i watch TV the magician wad very oppressed so it better to change the senario of the film.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kids even didnt like
sinemakurdu17 April 2021
I watched 9 and 12 years old boy they didnt like it. Little boy even given 5 before i say . Graphic extraordinary but scenerio not well pointless . It would be better for this effort.
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wizart's Best Film Yet!
nickjeromana30 March 2021
I have been following Wizart (Russia) since their first film in 2012 (The Snow Queen), which I actually LIKED BETTER than I did Frozen ((just a tiny bit more)).

Each film Wizart has made has progressively improved with each entry. The "Snow Queen 3: Fire and Ice" demonstrated that they could inspire a Disney legend enough to drive him to travel all the way to Russia to give them a helping hand. He helped write and direct sequels to both their Snow Queen and Sheep and Wolves franchises. (I am a fan of "Snow Queen: Mirrorlands"!)

Wizart is demonstrating that it is all grown up with its latest entry "Secret Magic Control Agency" (or SMCA going forward).

Just like with Gerda and Kai (Snow Queen), SMCA makes it clear from the start that FAMILY is a very important element of Wizart's stories.

This story follows two siblings that are separated by their differences in lifestyle values and have decided the best thing to do is leave each other alone.

However, the King has been abducted and the Secret Agency forces "Agent Gretel" (a very strict, by the rules, always serious character) to team up with her brother Hansel (a goofy, anything goes, carefree character) in order to find him. One Transmutation Potion later (now thinking of Sheep and Wolves) they become the very kids from the classic fairytale.... just add in an adorable "sprinkle-faced cookie dog" and we're all set!

The adventure is quite engaging and colorful, and can be a bit fast-paced. I just loved how they paid homage to the source fairy tale in how the (now kids) venturing to the house where the witch would try to eat the children... amidst other easter eggs that are "sprinkled" throughout the movie. That and the many different ways to use pastry batter to create strange cookie monsters.... oh!

The downside to this film if there is one would be that there wasn't many noteworthy "quotable" lines nor any musical scores that would leave you humming the theme after the movie was over. This is an unfortunate thing for an animated film since even Snow Queen: Mirrorlands had moments that were easily quotable upon the first watch through.

All in all, feel like I could watch it multiple times (with Family) and still find it entertaining. Definitely Wizart's best film yet!

I hope that this film isn't jailed to Netflix forever and gets to see a Blu-ray/DVD and Digital Download release. I also anxiously await for Wizart's next big feature as they have yet to disappoint me with their films. And finally, I really wish Wizart had some kind of merchandising department that sold their film's characters (t-shirts, toys, memorabilia... maybe soundtracks......)
3 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie with many funny little details
roels502 April 2021
Thought it was a great entertaining movie with little details that made me laugh.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dont waste your time
jpmk-751834 May 2021
Me and my kids, 8 and 10, watched this tonight. The kids liked it, but for me and probably most grownups, its a waste of time.
3 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My Daughter Loved It
dmcjr79-539-64100523 May 2021
My daughter loved it, get her attention the whole time-

That's all I need to judge a kids movie on!
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I've seen Grimmer.
GiraffeDoor14 April 2021
God, I know, it's a bland title isn't it?

We get a lot of these movies marketed to families with young children and at their worst they're horrendous and at best they're usually just passable.

This one is actually a fair bit better than average. Not a classic but there is something distinctly charming in its characters and its handling as it tries to wring more material from that very old concept of the fairytale pastiche.

So he's a rascal illusionist and she's basically the magic police. Obviously I try not to think of her as a cop but she makes it hard. You know Gina from Paradise PD? Imagine a more grandma-friendly version of that. They make a pretty pleasing odd couple as they are conscripted to work together even though they "Can't stand each other!" (as the trailers were kind enough to point out).

I really liked how they really conveyed a sense of history between these siblings and used their respective skill sets (one is street smart, the other is academic smart) in a complementary fashion.

The plot is nothing too original and their journey often feels like a child's video game in how they simply move from place to place to face a new local challenge like progressive levels but at no point did this feel anything close to as excruciating or dumb as so many others like it. This movie was someone's baby and I can respect hat.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good
xxmartynnxx12 April 2021
It is not that bad. It is actually funny. However you can get that Shrek atmospher vibes from the movie and some adventure time candy kingdom vibes. You can relax and watch with your kids.
Soo fun!
ndidemm10 April 2021
Quality animation with cute references. Reminded me of Shrek a litttle bit.
Is this the worst animated movie I've seen? Maybe
kaegori29 April 2021
It's certainly the worst I've seen in a long long time. Even the "acting" of the animated characters is overdone. It's like a bad community theater production that was turned into an animated film via a one button automated conversion software or something. "what a cruel world" is right. These glowing reviews are suspect.
2 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Charming
omicron-524358 April 2021
Fun film, great totally goofed on Disney. Subtle and satirical wonderful fun for your kids and something for you too.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.