Crime Scene: The Vanishing at the Cecil Hotel (TV Series 2021) Poster

Youtuber conspiracy garbage
tarynabryant11 February 2021
I'm generally a fan of Netflix original documentaries, but this didn't grab me. Always found this case compelling and creepy so I was looking forward to watching this. But instead of being presented with facts and interesting aspects of the investigation, I wound up witnessing a bunch of wannabe famous youtubers sharing baseless conspiracies and accusations about hotel cover-ups and whatever other useless theories. I recognize that web sleuths have been helpful for many investigations, but the people in this documentary seriously need a life. This just focused on the wrong things. What a waste of such an interesting case. Save four hours of your life.
632 out of 680 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oh I'm sorry didn't realise it was a you tuber doc
rikkisalmond-3774710 February 2021
Where the hell to start. Interesting story however it seems to be more about wanna be detectives not believing autopsies etc because all the do is sit and read them on their pcs. I'm sorry a poor woman died and these you tubers make it all about themselves literally crying over a death of someone they don't really know. Don't watch it it will just make you angry. These you tubers need to get a life
513 out of 554 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tediously drawn out
sarahcalver10 February 2021
This is a fascinating story which deserves to be grippingly told, but between all the pointless youtuber opinions and the overly drawn-out narrative of the hotel's past I lost interest quickly. Classic Netflix doc - it would have been a riveting 2 hour tale but it felt very diluted across 4 episodes.
307 out of 332 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Annoying as hell
cmoorejnr12 February 2021
They call the idiots in this program who 'web sleuths', when really all they are is ignorant, pathetic, conspiracy theorist with sad lives & nothing better to do. Honestly this is a sad story that would have been watchable is they hadn't of added the clips of the tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy nuts. They literally ruined another persons life & career, they should be held accountable for that.
260 out of 281 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'll do you a favour...
gavcrayton10 February 2021
Just watch the Buzzfeed Unsolved YouTube video on Elisa Lam. It will save you 3 hours 32 minutes.
359 out of 391 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Save Your Time and Shame on Netflix
justagirl-3864511 February 2021
Production was good, but the story just reinforced through all but the last 10 minutes how people with no experience, no qualifications, and no expertise take a sliver of information and then "decide" they know the truth and even worse, think everyone in the world MUST hear about it.

Listening to the people they interviewed with their conspiracy theories and especially those with delusions they were somehow "connected" to this woman was a disgusting validation for those individuals by the producers. Shame on Netflix, shame on the producers and shame on the people who became obsessed about this case for their own musings claiming a part in her story which never belonged to them. No consideration for the friends/family and how the conspiracies only made the situation that much worse. No consideration for the false accusations against various people and the harm that did to them psychologically. No consideration for anyone but themselves despite their "need to help."

Sick, twisted, and a sad commentary on our society. A society with no filter and an obvious lack of common sense. Shame on those of you who said you felt like a friend died when this young lady passed away - you didn't know a thing about her real life; not her, her family, her life, or what it truly meant to suffer from Type I Bi-Polar Disorder.
258 out of 282 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The poor parents
Wango-6568113 February 2021
I wasn't expecting a documentary about pathetic losers who are obsessed with something that is clearly none of their business.
161 out of 176 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Click Bait
djnash-8701112 February 2021
This series could have been done in 1 episode. It is the equivalent of 'click bait'. Jumping on the bandwagon of similar programs to make money from some poor girls demise. No wonder no family members featured.
93 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ruined by conspiracy narcissists
forepsyt13 February 2021
Title says it all, good production and a tragic tale ruined by including a bunch of nobodies who use YouTube to promote their bizarre ideas for likes and subscriptions. Completely disrespectful to the victim and the family.
72 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Creators should be ashamed
zelvek13 February 2021
This amounts to little more then Netflix capitalizing on and sensetanolaizing a tragedy to make money. A bunch of unqualified whack jobs with no access to the evidence and no qualifications to assess said evidence stretch the truth to make it fit their desired narrative. As if this poor girls family hasn't been through enough grief now Netflix has to cut open those old wounds by giving a platform to baseless drivel conspiracy theory level nonsense.
97 out of 105 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The art of padding.
Sleepin_Dragon10 February 2021
All I can say is the trailer that Netflix produced for this was incredible, it drew me right in, you're sold the mystery of the infamous Cecil Hotel.

There's the side of it that really is tragic, the story of poor Elisa Lam, the scenes of her grieving family, and that pretty awful moment where she's last seen alive.

Part of me finds the whole thing a little tasteless, the poor girls story is sensationalised beyond belief, and some of the interviewees maybe should have had a bit more consideration for poor Elisa.

It's well made, it's well produced, but at just under four hours...... It could have been told in one, they really did drag this one out.

Very slow, pretty boring, and slightly tasteless I thought.

Poor, 4/10.
175 out of 194 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Netflix will never learn
jordyncoxx10 February 2021
Will Netflix ever learn that their true crime documentaries don't need to be 4 hours long? Even the Night Stalker felt long & drawn out when that spanned years. Apart from the elevator footage & uncovering the body, what else really happened?? And who are these nut jobs who don't even know Elisa but are behaving like they lost a love one & going to the crime scene 10-20 times. Finding internet fame over the death of someone else doesn't sit right with me. I feel like Buzzfeed Unsolved did a better episode on the Cecil Hotel. Save some time & watch that instead.
189 out of 212 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too long with too much unrelated information
shaunvanhaelewijn10 February 2021
I will keep my review short. The story about the vanishing speaks to everybody's imagination. But the story is pretty straightforward, this is coming from somebody who has been working in psychiatry whole his life. She was bipolar and suffered clearly from a psychosis. I work with these people on a daily base. Yes, it can be so bad, people would bring themselves in strange situations. In that way 4 episodes is just too much for a story that could have been told in 2 episodes (at most).

I found this documentary much more interesting in another aspect. The way 8 years ago fake news was invented by stupid people on the internet just blowing their mind on things they have absolutely no knowledge about. I was heavily triggered by the youtubers/influencers claiming one stupid theory after the other. On the way almost destroying a young musician life. This is still the dark side of the internet and it saddens me to see where we are at almost a decade later.
173 out of 195 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too Many Whiny YouTubers-Not Enough True Forensics
jenniferwarnock12 February 2021
Am very much interested in the subject matter, and the history surrounding the Cecil hotel. I really enjoyed the interviews with the hotel employees, but I was hoping to learn more about the actual forensic investigation. Yes, LAPD is a part of this documentary, but the YouTuber angle, ughh. Whiny, unhelpful, and super bloated. They literally added nothing of true value to the investigation. Zilch. Also, if you're any kind of traveler, investigate the property, the surroundings in the environment of where you're going! How do people travel, especially internationally, not do this?!?
61 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Conspiracy Garbage
michaelwaite-4615912 February 2021
Great mystery to understand, however most of the show is just youtube conspiracy theorists who are just looking for views and not based on any facts.
72 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
4 part documentary dragged out
ad-7438810 February 2021
Nothing new in the documentary. Which could have been explained in one episode was dragged out in 4.
88 out of 101 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disrespectful to family
matilda_varg12 February 2021
Too long. Too excessive. The series are writing the story on our nose. The perspective should not have been from conspiracys, but from the ones affected by peoples need to feel special while jumping to conclusions. My interest goes straight to the family and what they feel about this whole storymaking.
71 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Expected more from Ron Howard
patrickmjgraham12 February 2021
This is not good as a documentary. As entertainment, okay. What I learned? There's certainly a difference between 'professionals' and those with lesser qualifications. It also highlights the danger of the accusatory nature of online platforms and people on their own personal crusades. The investigative 'nobodies' discount the work of the professionals, all pushing their own agendas with a pseudo-emotional 'connection' to the loss of a complete stranger. It annoyed me more than I found it fascinating. Also, won't ever be visiting LA. The plight of the homelessness there would've made a far better documentary. A really sad story, retold as utter s***e.
47 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm concerned
jkidd-2744711 February 2021
Someone seriously needs to check out the dude from that web Schume that is talking about Elisa like he knows her. The guy literally made someone go to a grave site to touch her gravestone for him and talked about her legacy like she was Kobe Bryant. Got bless her and rest her soul but some of these people for some real issues to have the time to act like their going thru this case like they were concerned for her when really it seems more like they used her story for clickbate and watch time. Was the story unique and intriguing, yes but these people must have ALOT of time on their hands to do all they did like they knew her.
86 out of 104 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
YouTube conspiracy bs
stephers-6722412 February 2021
The first episode gets you intrigued. the rest is internet conspiracy theorist commentary that drags and drags.
43 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Messy and all over the place
goochchuang10 February 2021
This documentary looks pretty but that's about it. It is all over the place not knowing what story it wants to tell. Is it about the homeless community surrounding Cecil Hotel? Is it about mental health? Cyber bully? Shallow YouTubers chasing fabs? A train wreck not worth of your time.
79 out of 96 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
To long
tunajan10 February 2021
This could have been told in a hour. A lot of the same footage over and over.
66 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Crime Scene: The Vanishing at the Cecil Hotel
pfne10 February 2021
I'll score it for the production of the documentary. It's well shot with interesting views of the hotel and surroundings. I'll score it for going into a bit of history about the hotel but not dwelling on the more famous residents. I'll even score it for the way it portrays the story of what happened.

But... It.does in 4 hours what you could learn in 10.monutes with a google search. It brings no new information, no new video evidence they don't even have the original uncut, unedited version of the famous "Elevator" video. So ultimately its a well.made but totally.pointless program. Save yourself 4 hours, have a Google
71 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
At heart this is a cautionary tale...
Mccadoo11 February 2021
What happened to Ms. Lam was a tragedy and this four-part series does, in the end, cover the incident well and offer a reasonable explanation. But what it also does, and I think this is the biggest take-away, is show how absurd and damaging some individuals on the internet can be. Individuals who describe themselves as "websleuths" and "YouTubers". These individuals imagine themselves trained investigators, they are not. They ascribe to themselves expertise that they do not possess. They make judgements and reach conclusions based on nothing more than emotion, conjecture and opinion, namely their own. In the law enforcement world we have a name for them; keyboard warriors. There are many of them out there because anyone with a computer and opposable thumbs can create their own blog and, sadly, attract followers who for reasons beyond me believe whatever nonsense these people spew out. This documentary profiles several of them, some in more depth than others but all of them come off in the end looking foolish. One of the problems is they don't acknowledge fault, they don't apologize, they just move on to their next "case". Here they throw out all kinds of unfounded accusations, without foundation or a shred of real proof, each one more absurd than the last. Unfortunately in one instance their "investigation" leads them to accuse an innocent man of murder which turns his life upside down. The term for this is cyber bullying and it has become all to common in our society. Yet not one of them is held accountable or even offers an apology. Were I him I would file lawsuits for libel against them, were I the LAPD I would do the same. But that doesn't happen and they simply move on with no accountability. I reached my frustration limit with these "investigators" in this program when Ms. Lam's autopsy report was finally released. Several of them appeared on their blogs stating that they had problems with it....really? Are you a pathologist? Were did you receive your medical degree? Do you have any idea at all what you're talking about? The answer sadly is no, they don't. But even more sad it that they have audiences that listen to them. My biggest problem while watching this documentary is that, even though in the end it exposes these people for what they are, I think it also gave them much too much screen time in the process. This roughly four hour series could have easily been trimmed by an hour by eliminating much of the time wasted showing these people spouting their various "theories". I do think the police, forensic physiatrist and the medical examiner, you know, the REAL experts, restrained themselves admirably in pointing out what these keyboard warriors really are. I actually wish they had been less so but I'm sure they thought the point had been made....I hope they're right. If someone describes themselves as a "websleuth" or a "YouTuber" please realized that what that really means is that they are just individuals who have no expertise or training or experience in....well pretty much anything at all...and are not individuals you want to listen to about anything, least of all something as serious as this. And to all those self appointed websleuths out there....have the intelligence to know what you don't know.
32 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Garbage doc, poor girls family shouldn't have this nonsense conspiracy following them
smythdavid-4049813 February 2021
This poor girl had a disorder that sadly resulted in her life being lost. It's a tragic story, and deserves to be told to shed light on bipolar disorder, however the decision to allow these oxygen thieves (known as internet sleuths in the documentary) to spout there absolute nonsense theories about it is just ridiculous.

Richard Ramirez, the killer from Europe and the poor death metal lad, all brought into it for literally no reason, other than let's make 4 episodes. Total waste of time, don't watch it.

Just want to emphasise again, the internet sleuths are the real killers in this "mystery". Killed 4 hours of my life.
33 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.