Justice Society: World War II (2021) Poster

Not Up to DC Standards
Athanatos17327 April 2021
Not so long ago, DC animation was extraordinary, with great voice actors and amazing animation. And then came Justice Society: World War II.

A fairly uncompelling story with unsatisfactory voice acting and subpar animation. If you are a DC comics fan, you are probably aware of who all the characters are, yet they focused almost entirely on Wonder Woman, making me wonder why they bothered with a JSA movie and didn't just go for a stand alone Wonder Woman movie.

A forgettable entry into the DC animated universe, and with 36% of votes being a perfect 10/10, makes me question the standards of some viewers.
56 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hot Garbage
isaacjfisherif30 April 2021
The animation style is overly simplistic, think low end anime at a higher frame rate. The character development is non existent. It was finally great to see previously unused characters take the spotlight but this "reboot" of the animated universe is off to a terrible start; visually, terrible choices in voice actors (why does WW sound like she is from the Soviet block?), and an overly complex storyline they rushed through in 90 minutes. I had high hopes for this reboot, but so far, I am sadly unimpressed.
25 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another example of why The West is Creatively Bankrupt
ReviewsThatMatter28 April 2021
If you're looking for a DC animation that sets up lots and pays them off in the end, this is not for you. Nazi magic items, where? Flash's role was important when? If anything he made himself and Garrick weaker most of the movie. Why were nazis even apart of this film? Only for the Atlantans to be the big bad in the end. I really hope this is a stand alone and if that's the case it makes this film that much worse because plots were essentially set up to never be established. Iris west, are we really gonna canonize this tokenized Iris West? Shes not black and you don't need to put a black face on established characters of any other race. If you want black characters then just make them and make them likable as you would any other mainstream hero, but then again considering how bad this film was if they did that, the character would be atrocious.

What I did like was the animation, it wasn't great but it was different. The fighting was decent too. That's pretty much it, watch this if you're bored.
45 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hyped reviews will not change this meh film.
whitemanfromtowne29 April 2021
These hyped reviews with 9s and 10s will not change this meh film. This movie was just ok. Wonder Woman with the Russian accent did not add any flare and story was and fight scenes were all over the place. Pay no attention to any of those hyped reviews. They are truly misleading.
30 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointment
devlsrdeye-7996328 April 2021
Script is Def sub par, iris simply is not believable in the role. Not in voice , not in disposition or attitude. The woke touch ruins this as well. Animation sucks as well.
32 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A film to establish better films to a better universe.
sugar-2391727 April 2021
DC has always been known for its quality when it comes to animated series and movies. Their previous shared universe, DC Animated Movie Universe, which concluded with Justice League Dark: Apokolips just last year.

This time, Diana is the main focus of the story since the concept and settings are supposed to be a Wonder Woman animated series that was scrapped and turned into this, the film delivers a balance among the Justice Society and Diana's storyline. It may be weird that Diana is the focus of the film since she's not one of the original members of the JSA but the reason behind that is one of the twists of the story which is explained later in the movie. The story is decent, not the best but it offers us questions but then gives us the answer at the exposition that'll make us say "Whoa" and that's enough for me. And then the animation? 10/10. Thick outlines may not be preferred by others, but it's what makes it unique among the previous animated universes. The thick outlines also help with the action sequences to separate the characters from the background and highlight the slick animation that the animators have been doing, although there is a scene where the outlines are far too thick and straight-up looked weird.

The main point of JS: World War II, is it just gives us a taste of what this set universe is about to offer once further above average plot and actions are the trump card of the future films. The film basically sets up movies that'll have more impact on comic book readers, first being the upcoming two-part Batman movie, The Long Halloween that is on the same universe as this and their first movie, Superman: Man of Tomorrow.
26 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Count how many moments of long silences there are in this. It's weird.
wayofthecray1 May 2021
So dull. No one involved in this movie seem to care. The scriptwriters, the actors, even the animation is uninspired.
17 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Impressive!
A_Different_Drummer27 April 2021
The DC animation dept. Is known for its creative freedom and this effort to "go retro" works. For older fans, who grew up with this style of animation, it is comfort food. Younger fans will enjoy the switch as well. The first and last Acts are especially strong, and the voice actors are pitch perfect, with Chris Diamantopoulos a standout as Steve Trevor. He somehow manages to make every word ring with integrity. A keeper.
37 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Far from the worst, but...
doubleivan29 April 2021
I read some glowing reviews for this movie, so I was excited. But this feature is so clumsily made, it's a bit embarrassing. The ponderous pauses between dialogue, the poor detail, the awkward choices; Superman sounds like a skinny man, Nazis are 'evil', and then kaiju. It bungles along with plenty of cringe ('Sorry, I'm an American! We don't do surrender!') before ending in inconsequential fashion. There is always fun in seeing two generations of Flash working together, but an idiotic Wonder Woman and a petulant Superman do nobody any favours.

DC need to stop farming these projects out to cheap Asian animation houses, and take them seriously.
16 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awesome Stuff! DC Goodness.
oisinstaines27 April 2021
Big fan of the DC Animated Movies since a child. I really liked the continuity that was followed loosely The New 52 stories. When Man of Tomorrow came out I really enjoyed the colourful and vibrant world that was clearly setting up a new universe. That Superman was great and now we get a new Flash that I think really works well.

I really like this animation style. It's really fluid and the action was excellent in my opinion. Especially Wonder Woman's fighting scenes. It was great seeing the JSA doing their thing and seeing DC highlight other heroes than Batman was great to see. (Not that I dislike Batman. He's my favourite.)

Looking forward to the next instalment with Batman: The Long Halloween.

It's a great superhero flick that really feels like you're reading an older comic book.
25 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the better DC movies
varunmirasdar28 April 2021
Really liked the animation style. WW is given some really cool action scenes as well as both Flash get some nice abilities. A bit of a gripe is that most characters especially WW sometimes go into wooden face mode and she is in scowling mode most of the time.

The story goes from nazi to magic to Atlanteans with little depth to any of them. The end desired to be better but given the flow of the story we couldn't expect more.

Overall a good watch with something different than usual.
24 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Justice and American
lolemylove29 April 2021
What a joke American way American justice just stop ruining another countries for America sake.
25 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
what happened to DC animated?
sp4wn3r29 April 2021
Not the best one , but still better then WW., like it that its fark and full of violence.
14 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Meh
dkerr-2161129 April 2021
The story isnt all that good, the art style is terrible and some of the voice actors just dont fit the role!
14 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Continuity problems. Even without continuity.
veinctor27 April 2021
I love the DC animated movies for the most part. This one had a very appealing artstyle (my only complain is Wonder Woman's atrocious hairstyle).

The story is okay but I do have a few problems with it. This movie has no continuity with any other DC animation and sometimes I struggle to understand who knows who and where in the timeline everything fits. As it happens, this is another "what if" scenario, where Flash meets Superman for the first time.

I know it's hard to keep track of everything since the 90s and have a perfect timeline, and nobody is obligated to predict every plothole. But its bugs me when my mind has to do mental gymnastics so that I can fit this movie in the DC multiverse. And yes, I have seen every DC animation and movie.

Another problem I have with the story is that we get to meet the Justice Society, in the 1940s. If this is your first movie, I doubt you would know who any of these heroes are (except maybe Wonder Woman). They have no time to be developed as characters and you have to guess their superpowers. Even if you know who these characters are, there are conflicts with their appearances in other media, which makes these characters new, even if you know them! Hourman for example, was is the StarGirl TV series, but there he appeared to be very different. And Black Canary had almost no screen time or character development. So it's hard to get to know her, care for her, or understand who she is even if you knew her from other animations.

The fight had almost nothing to do with the Nazis, but rather a war between DC brainwashed heroes. This is overdone and boring at this point. And Superman comes in the end to save everyone? That's lazy writing.

I wonder why they bother to introduce magic Nazi items at the start, only to never mention them again. Felt like a lost opportunity, filled with things we have seen before. A recycled story.

There were things I liked. Time-traveling is always interesting (even though overdone with Flash), Barry and Garrick sharing secrets was cool (but how come Garrick knows how to phase but not create cyclones, is beyond me) and the not-quite-time-travel plot twist was an interesting touch.

All in all I don't care about the 40s but I do like good stories. This didnt felt like War War 2, but more like DCs civil war in the 40s.
27 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst Storyline Ever , With Nothing nearly explained at all
minanageh29 April 2021
Pretty good animations , But nothing makes sense ... When the movie ended i was left with no idea about what the purpose of the movie was .
11 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
DC Animation smashes another one out of the park
dylanhughes-2216627 April 2021
DC live action movies need to start watching the animated stuff and learn from their wins. This is yet another example of fantastic work. Credit to the voice acting, as it was exemplary, but the story was incredible. Intricately woven; the story is never short of a twist and was amazing to watch as it unfolds. Final warning: bring tissues.
14 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Satisfying!!
rumiislam27 April 2021
This is the year of DC!! We are getting awesome movies one after another. After watching it I'm just speechless. Open multiverse, bring amazing stories!!
23 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No Justice, No Peace!
ThatMonkey27 April 2021
DC has hands down some of the best animated features. It may not look like Pixar, but the stories are compelling. My biggest grip with this movies however is consistency. For every excellent film, there is a terrible one. Recently, I liked Red Son, Soul of the Dragon, Hush and Fatal Five, but this title was 100% trash. First of all, voices are all over the place. I'm going off the top of my head, but I think Nathan Fillion was both Green Lantern and Steve Trevor I think Rosario Dawson also voiced multiple heroes. That kinda stuff plays with my mind. That was previous titles, but still, I'm an audible guy and when have a host of famous people doing multiple characters, it just mentally forces me to disconnect. Over the year, Tara, Susan and Kevin solidified themselves and these days, you never know what to expect in casting.

Today this rating for this title is 7.8 and the reviews are flooding in at 10/10. Trust me when I say I'm the voice of reason and I also predict a rating drop down to the low 6 range, possibly even high 5's. This title is not good and it was a serous struggle to stay engaged and finish it. I really don't want to see another title with any of these voice actors, they were not suited for these roles.
21 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Nostalgic Look Continues On...Nice!
Nyc_Don_DrKing10 May 2021
Well it seems the continuation of these nostalgic 50's,60's art style continues with this new run in the DCU animated films. I personally love it, I know some folks aren't to keen on it. The story it self was interesting how they incorporated the MULTIVERSE, and gave us a little Something on how the JL came to be or at least the idea of according to this universe took inspiration from. Thought that was nice. I really enjoyed how they show cased old n new Flash showing each other things the other DIDNT know they could do according this universe.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I waited a long time to enjoy a DC animated movie and now i got one!
marauder-028918 May 2021
If you came to see a honest opinion, here is mine: Worth to watch.

Surprisingly engaging story and characters, pretty meaningful messages, there were some very emoitional moments that i could relate too.

As always the people who underscore this probably have very high expectations, not me, i just wanted to enjoy a good story and this movie delivered, it is a good way to rediscover why do you like the characers, i was sincerly pleased with the result.

I also have to mention that i am not really a DC fanboy, i gave this an 8/10 because it is not perfect, but it managed to connect with me and this is the thing what makes movies like this memorable for me, maybe it does the trick for you too.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
DC's new art and animation being wasted on F rated writers
yotamhadad1 May 2021
Since the trailer of Superman: Man of Tomorrow I'm smitten by DC new direction for animation. Sadly, the quality of writers is far below average I barely have expectations left to anything set to be released.
8 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nostalgic Superhero film
juvei28 April 2021
So off the top I think the art style will throw off some, it's clearly made with the intention of a more retro look, reminiscent of 60's cartoons with general quality of life changes to make it better suited to modern audiences, which I personally found to be quite beautiful. I wouldn't want this art style for all future DC animated films, but it seemed well suited to the nature and tone of this film.

Storyline wise there is nothing particularly interesting about it, it's WWII based so it's mostly about punching Nazi's & stopping evil plans and I don't think it's a spoiler to say that, it's simply what the Superhero WWII genre is.

What's interesting or atleast refreshing about the film is it allows its heroes to be vulnerable, flawed, and make mistakes. Yet despite any shortcomings or fears they may have they persist on, it's the inherent part of what makes a hero courageous, far too many modern heroes, particularly with respect to female heroes aren't allowed to show weakness in any respect. A hero that shows some measure of vulnerability or is in someway flawed is always more compelling then the always perfect & virtuous hero who can do no wrong.
11 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
rannynm5 May 2021
What could possibly go above and beyond the Scarlet Speedster himself? Justice Society: WWII! This new action-packed, animated feature film packs much more than a super-sonic punch; showing crazy character development and fascinating emotional exploration. The film relives a classic art style that will not only make you feel nostalgic, but continuously make you feel like you are on the edge of your seat, dying to find out what will happen next. The movie extinguishes any sense of repetitive stories; providing new never seen before action.

Justice Society: WWII follows everyone's favorite speedster, the Flash (Matt Bomer), as he accidentally uses his speed to travel to WWII, finding himself in a cluster of situations. When he meets Wonder Woman (Stana Katic) and proves his loyalty, the Flash must fight his way next to the Justice Society to defeat the Nazis and find his way home. Every character exceeds expectations, yet Black Canary (Elysia Rotaru) and Hawkman (Omid Abtahi) are truly the "scene stealers," demonstrating remarkable chemistry that you will never forget.

Justice Society: WWII pushes the boundaries for modern day 2D animation. The action scenes really display the power of animation and how real it can seem. At times you forget you are even watching a movie because the animation is so immersive and hypnotizing. Another exquisite subtle detail about the movie is the writing. Jeremy Adams and Meghan Fitzmartin wrote a story exploring new angles of these classic characters that we have never seen before. Although the writing is extremely on point; the time period falls short. Throughout the film the WWII time period feels a little sugar-coated and doesn't really demonstrate the impact of the violence during that time. Justice Society: WWII soars faster than Jay Garrick does, checking all the boxes with extravagant character development and extraordinary animation you will never get tired of.

The film has themes of friendship, and the idea that you can do anything you want if you work as a team. It is rated PG-13 for violence and some bloody images. The WWII time period brings with it many sensitive topics, animated violence and some mild curse words. The film can be intense at times, really targeting its viewership to older DC fans.

Justice Society: WWII is clearly one of the best DC animated films, therefore I give it 5 out of 5 stars and recommend it for ages 12 to 18, plus adults. You can find Justice Society: WWII on Blu-Ray or your nearest digital retailer, so make sure to check it out! Reviewed by Jude A., KIDS FIRST!
7 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gave it an extra star for a Henry Cavil Mustache Appearance
keepitsimplesafety2 May 2021
DC: Please stop this. Go back to the other animation style and approach, the DCAU was a wonderful thing from the get go. You've given us two new movies in this new vein and it's awful.

I did not enjoy the animation.

The action was boring, some early wonder woman scenes are good, but when it gets to the "climax" or other fights it is just underwhelming.

The story is a crappy screenplay slap in the face to a ton of good source material. Why reinvent the wheel as a square?
7 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.