Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (2016) Poster

Rated on pure entertainment factor
razzel5 February 2016
This movie is so fun and so campy. Is it winning any awards?...no. But the acting is good. It's got a great cast and they do a really good job. I was very pleasantly surprised with Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

It's a romance. It's horror. It's comedy.

Go for the fun of it and don't take it seriously. This is not a classic Victorian novel and this is not a true tale of zombies like most die hard zombie fans think of them (ie. The Walking Dead or the more classic Night of the Living Dead). I am a true zombie lover. I loved "28 Days Later", "The Walking Dead", "Zombieland", etc. This is not one of those, so if you don't expect to see that when you go to this movie, I think you will enjoy it.
126 out of 145 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enormously Funny And Surprisingly Touching
Dan1863Sickles5 February 2016
I know most people who love PRIDE AND PREJUDICE by Jane Austen are furious about this movie even existing, let alone being successful. But I actually liked it a lot!

I know the original classic fairly well (I'm a former high school English teacher and a current college librarian) and I was astonished almost from the very beginning at how much of the dialogue comes direct from Jane Austen's novel. All of the issues that really matter and the conflicts that draw the reader into the novel are still very much alive in the movie. It's just that they are juxtaposed against the horror of the walking dead.

I can't say enough about the good looking young (and not so young) cast members. I was absolutely blown away by how seriously Lily James and Sam Riley took the relationship between Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy. Both of them are so skilled at projecting courage and integrity combined with deep feelings and hidden pain. They never seem silly even when they're doing very silly things, i.e. cutting each others' clothes to bits in a sword fight. Bella Heathcote and Douglas Booth as Jane Bennett and Mr. Bingley are almost as good, and I have to say, visually they are absolutely perfect as the characters from Jane Austen's novel. And the supporting players are absolutely outstanding! You just cannot go wrong with Charles Dance as Mr. Bennett. His performance is exactly what you would hope for in a serious adaptation. Though that's true of every actor in the cast, really. Lena Headey is an exquisite Lady Catherine DeBurgh, though her character is ultimately just a little more sympathetic towards Elizabeth than she is in the novel. Even Jack Huston, who has been a hero of mine ever since his epic role as disfigured World War One veteran Richard Harrow in BOARDWALK EMPIRE, is an effective villain as Mr. Wickham. Best of all is Matt Smith, who takes the thankless role of the hateful Mr. Collins and turns it into an irresistible Peter Sellers style comic explosion. He's that good.

Let's face it, a Jane Austen zombie movie is not for everyone. But if you're willing to be open minded and you enjoy great acting, comedy and romance, this just might be for you. The sword fights are exciting, the love scenes (including the arguments) are authentically romantic, and the blood and guts are never really that gross. Oh, and if you do go and see the movie, make sure to stay through the closing credits, because the last joke of the film is really the best!
153 out of 187 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A very unexpected and entertaining movie.
Phazed-10120 March 2016
Genreally, I like zombie movies a lot because of their post- apocalyptic vibe.

Normally though, I find the genre comes in 2 distinct flavours; serious stuff like "28 Days/Weeks Later" or campy B flavoured offerings like "The Scouts Guide To The Apocalypse".

This movie however defies the genre. The closest comparisons I could make would be "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" or "Penny Dreadful" but with more humour. It follows the story of Pride and Prejudice so closely I kept looking for Keira Knightly to appear.

The production quality however is what surprised me the most; it's incredibly high with great sets, realistic costumes, lighting and cinematography. There was a lot of attention to detail.

This is a very unique and interesting mash-up which I quite enjoyed. I am surprised it's not rated higher on IMDb but I believe it deserves a watch regardless.
50 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't listen to the bad reviews!
kaylaboeckman14 February 2016
I really feel like the people that rated this movie poorly either didn't see the movie and just wanted to give it bad press, or had no idea what the movie was about. The acting and effects of the movie were beyond my expectations, and as far as the storyline, it was Pride and Prejudice. I love the book and movie Pride and Prejudice, I also love zombie movies so this movie was the perfect fit for me. That being said, I feel that this movie would appeal to anyone who enjoys the zombie genre. I had a lot of fun during this movie, I was pleased that it didn't take itself seriously, yet I enjoyed the depth of the characters. I equally laughed and jumped at the shocking moments throughout this movie, and enjoyed every moment. I also must include that I almost didn't see this movie, because of the bad reviews. However, I am very glad that I didn't listen, because I feel like since this is a beloved classic book with zombies people may be upset that this movie was made in the first place. I am a huge Jane Austen fan, I find it a refreshing fun take on the storyline.
121 out of 161 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great mix of Drama, Humor, and Action
allstarrunner4 February 2016
My disclaimer is this: I tend to rate a bit high because I rate almost purely on how much I enjoyed a film; I'm as far from a critic or 'movie snob' as one could possibly be. My rating reflects pure enjoyment and if it's worth spending the money to see at the theater. In my opinion, it is!

The movie is truly Pride and Prejudice...and Zombies; it follows the basic outline of the P&P novel, even some of the same dialog, but throws in zombies. Personally, I loved the book and I loved the Keira Knightly film and I will admit it took me about 10 minutes or so to adjust to what I was seeing; but I quickly became immersed.

The action is very well done and if you're a fan of women being in charge in an action movie then you will really like this!

If you're a fan of Matt Smith then this is a MUST SEE, i've never watched Doctor Who, I'm not a fan of him (just b/c I haven't seen him in things) but he stole every scene he was in, he was excellent.

I purposely try to keep my reviews vague so as not to give anything away; the bottom line is this: if you're in the mood for a fun night with a movie with a crazy premise and some good action then I highly recommend it!

I am quite surprised by the low rating currently (5.4); I imagine it is people who don't like seeing the novel turned into something with zombies. At the end of the screening I was attending there was audience applause and everyone genuinely seemed to enjoy it!

p.s. the current voting breakdown has 18%(!) of 1 votes! So take that into consideration.

p.s. if you don't like horror, I personally wouldn't classify this as "horror" but more "action"
110 out of 151 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Remarkably good.
morgan-659-3128425 March 2016
I fully expected this film to be slightly underwhelming but possibly a bit of fun and I never read any reviews on here or elsewhere before watching it. It was very funny, witty and thoroughly absorbing. The acting was excellent - Matt Smith, as others have said is wonderful - and the production superb. The peculiarities of the novel are self evident and, when the zombie influences are absent, you could think you are watching another excellent version of Pride and Prejudice. I have now read many reviews on here and am pleased to find that many reviewers have given the film praise. The low score is disappointing so I can only assume that many people have just written off the film either not having watched it or are just trying to be clever and above it all. Some reviews I've read are really quite pompous in their approach. If you have an open mind, an imagination and, preferably a liking for both Austen and zombies you will find this film irresistible. I have noticed that some reviewers say this is just a Victorian / zombie romance. It's Georgian, more precisely Regency and, although a romance, is a story of manners. Great stuff.
58 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
5 risky prom dates
David Ferguson4 February 2016
Greetings again from the darkness. For those high school Literature teachers struggling to get their students to embrace the classics from writers like Jane Austen, this movie won't help much. However, chances are good that those same students will enjoy this blending of 19th century British class warfare with "The Walking Dead" – likely one of their favorite shows. The zombie apocalypse has landed in the middle of Austen's prim and proper story, including the repressed attraction between Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy.

Anyone expecting the serious undertones of Ms. Austen's1813 novel will be disappointed … but the title should have provided a pretty solid hint. While her characters and general story line act as a structure here, it's really based on Seth Grahame-Smith's YA hit novel … delivering zombie battles and often zany humor. Burr Steers (Igby Goes Down) directs his own adapted screenplay and seems to really be having a great time – right along with his talented cast. The sets, costumes, dialogue and fight scenes work together to create an unusual movie experience that will generate plenty of laughs while not dwelling on the zombies or violence (it is PG-13). Expect most critics to destroy this one because it's made simply for fun, not for art.

Of course, any Pride and Prejudice spin-off (even one with zombies) must pay particular attention to Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy. It turns out that Elizabeth and her four sisters are highly trained warriors raised to survive against the undead. It's even clearer for Mr. Darcy as he is billed as a zombie hunter and protector of Mr. Bingley, the rich bachelor hooked on Jane Bennett. Things get muddled by the devious Mr. Wickham, a focused Lady Catherine de Bourgh, and especially the flamboyant fop Parson Collins. The interactions between these characters bounce between loyalty, romantic attraction, emotional turmoil and hand-to-hand combat … with enough comedic elements that most viewers will find plenty of opportunities to laugh.

The talented cast is all in. They play it mostly straight (with one major exception) to achieve the balance between somber and silly. Lily James ("Downton Abbey") and Sam Riley (On the Road, 2012) are both fun to watch as Elizabeth and Darcy. They are the film's best fighters … both with swords and words. Bella Heathcoate (Dark Shadows, 2012) is "the pretty one" Jane, who is wooed by Douglas Booth (Noah, 2014) as Mr. Bingley. Lena Headey ("Game of Thrones") makes an impression in her limited screen time as an eye-patched Lady Catherine de Bourgh, and Jack Huston ("Boardwalk Empire") is well cast as Wickham. Screen veterans Charles Dance and Sally Phillips take on the role of parents to the five Bennett daughters, but it's Matt Smith ("Dr Who"), who turns the film on its ear with his unconventional twist on the oddball Parson Collins, who pretty much steals each of his scenes. He had those in the theatre laughing out loud more than a few times.

Pity is the word that comes to mind for any young man who takes these Bennett girls to the prom … or more likely to one of the societal balls. The weapons hidden under their formal gowns offer fair warning to zombies and handsy suitors alike. It's this element of strong women (physically and emotionally) that might even allow Ms. Austen to appreciate what's happened to her characters … were she alive to see it.

Even though the film offers plenty of fun with laughs and action and romance, let's hope it doesn't kick off a new zombie-adaptation trend. Here are a few titles that we hope never see the big screen: Sense and Sensibilities and Zombies, War and Peace and Zombies, Crime and Punishment and Zombies, The Old Zombie and the Sea, Wuthering Zombies, Romeo and Juliet and Zombies, and Alice's Adventure in Zombieland.
51 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oddly enough... very entertaining
Shane31825 February 2016
This honestly surprised me.

It goes without saying I was not expecting much from this movie. I have seen various Pride and Prejudice movies before today and did not enjoy any of them out of sheer boredom. Nothing against those movies or their quality but it just wasn't my kind of movie. I assumed that this would be no different and that it would just be the same exact story with a few zombies sprinkled in.

And to an extent, it was exactly that, but there was much more depth to the zombie plot than I anticipated. The zombies were a very large part of the story and even when there was romantic drama there was still a close focus on the zombie aspect. There is always that underlying tension that zombies will strike.

The visuals were not the best but were still very well done. The make-up and effects for the zombies were much higher quality than I thought they would be. And the atmosphere kept a good mix of an old Pride and Prejudice feel while also adding a new element of dark zombie-apocalypse tension that I loved seeing.

There were a few parts that I rolled my eyes at, especially when things got a bit too dramatic between the lead characters Darcy and Elizabeth, but all in all it was a good movie that I enjoyed.

Very surprised to say I give this movie an 8/10.
47 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Easy to forgive the plot holes
therese_allison6 February 2016
I'm not a zombie movie fan but I am a huge Matt Smith and Pride & Prejudice fan so I felt the need to see Pride & Prejudice & Zombies. I try to retain the image of MS as the Doctor so I haven't watched anything else he has played in but because the two afore mentioned worlds collided I HAD to see this movie and I was not disappointed! I found it easy to look around the obvious plot holes and simply enjoyed hearing the old familiar lines spoken in such a different setting/atmosphere with MS's performance being the icing on the cake. This movie is not award winning but it is very entertaining and I only had to look away a couple of times.....
37 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just telling my experience.
luisbryan3 February 2016
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is an amazing experience. It's thrilling, it's romantic, it's hilarious, and actioned pack!! I love love love this movie. The humor is depicted to the audience in a form that doesn't dumb down the dialogue. It's was brilliant and the cast was fluid. Extremely worth watching. The setting is perfect for the world our protagonist live in. The lore is tolerable. I personally distrust zombie movies however I enjoyed every second. Would recommend it to anyone looking to loose themselves in this wild piece of work. Truly a roller-coaster of fun. Please watch with an open mind and leave that pride and prejudice at home you zombie! #PPZ movie!!!!
58 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
5.8 at the time of this writing. Really? Why all the hate?
aphrodisiaciix12 March 2017
Don't understand the haters and critics. The film is well directed, well acted, with a very fresh twist of Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice". The costumes and scenery are top notch and very believable of the period. Even the zombies are done just right and not over the top gore. All the actors and actresses are very convincing in their characters and that keeps the audience engaging to the end. Even the color tones are just perfect through out the movie.

Just for the entertainment value alone, this film should be rated much higher than 5.8. To be fair, it should be in the 7.5 to 8.5 range. I give it a solid 8.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Serving brains as Communion?
Ben Larson8 February 2016
I have to admit that when I read the book, it was the first Jane Austen I had ever read. I found it to be a fascinating mash-up. I was curious to see how it played on the big screen and was not totally disappointed in the effort.

I must confess that I watched the Kiera Knightly version of Pride and Prejudice to get some feel for the story on film. That was a mistake as all the characters in this film suffered in comparison. Lily James (Lady Rose from Downton Abbey) gave a valiant effort, but Knightly was far superior in the lead role.

I did not find the violence to be excessive, but the idea of brains as Communion was gross.
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Few zombies, much Jane Austen!
Erik Stuborn28 April 2016
Surprisingly better than I expected, with few zombies, not too much blood and much Jane Austen. A fun (and quite accurate) adaptation of one of the iconic novels in English literature, with the variant of the threat of zombies, well-argued, and martial arts fights in which women are the protagonists. With good actors, actresses overwhelmingly beautiful, good settings, nice cinematography (beautiful atmosphere and lighting) and extraordinary locations —it seems that some of them are the same than the 2005's «serious version» with Keira K.— and an open end that promises more blood, more battles and more zombies (though I doubt that the history can be stretched more). Very recommendable, at least as a curiosity very well done.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Twizard Rating: 72
goolizap31 March 2016
Most people are probably thinking, "If they pull this off, it could really be great!" And they're right. The unfortunate part is that it's fairly difficult.

My only true frame of reference is the 2005 film version of the Jane Austen classic. And while it's not my favorite film of all time, I can't deny its technical achievements.

This one has completely different achievements. If you're talking about special effects and makeup, then Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is accomplished, sure. But the problems lie in the story itself.

The film starts out as a true black comedy. Taking place in the early 1800s, you see quaint young English women preparing their weapons for battling the undead. But first they must brush each other's hair. It's that sort of humor that runs rampant throughout much of the first act of this film. And it's much appreciated. It's not two stories at once, but the classic Austen story featuring a zombie subtext.

Though, the irony is only entertaining for so long. Then it reaches a point where everything seems forced, and then the dialogue becomes rushed. It just goes through the motions in order to execute both ideas. The long runtime works for the 2005 version, but this one just tries to cover way too much ground in about 30 minutes less.

And it's as though the filmmakers realize that too. So they change it up a bit. 45 minutes into the film we finally get more of the zombie action that we've been wanting. It starts getting good, but then the whole love story suffers because of it. If you can look past the massively uneven tone, you'll tend to enjoy what makes this story unique.

The casting here is pretty good. The chemistry between all the lovers isn't quite there, but Lily James is more than acceptable as Elizabeth Bennet. Although, it's almost humorous to believe that she's supposed to be the less beautiful daughter between herself and Jane.

If you've never been exposed to the original Jane Austen story before, then you may not even get the humor or, better yet, the story in this one. However, the adjustments made to the classic tale in order to fit into this zombie adaptation actually cause parts of the story to make more sense.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies isn't a bad movie. It's actually quite entertaining at times. And It's not that they failed in what they set out to do, I just simply think it's not possible to accomplish the daunting task of combining the two stories. Perhaps it merely has too much to handle in order to have the freedom to be its own movie.

Twizard Rating: 72
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An amazing combination
alvaroweiss29 May 2016
I didn't thought this combination of zombies and a classic novel/film would work so well. The actors are magnificent and the argument stay hold to the original story, the origin of zombies it not only well explained but also is not abused and it stick with the drama perfectly.

The scenes are beautiful, the costumes are gorgeous also the action scenes fit perfectly on the right time having the right length for it not being tedious or non sense.

That post-credit just puts an awesome cliffhanger for a second movie that i will obviously going to watch.

Just don't prejudge this movie, swallow your pride and enjoy the immortal film that all this people made for us.
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's actually kinda fun
Luis Mercado7 February 2016
I have to admit I'm coming to this film as someone who has never seen the original movie or read the book, therefore, I enjoyed it possibly more than someone who knows the story. The material itself never really deviated much from what one would expect from the story (or so I've been told after discussing the film with friends who actually know the background story), so there's that.

I thought the movie didn't take itself too seriously and that helped convey a sense of amusement. The liberties that were taken with the traditional zombie lore also helped to make this movie far more engaging than I would've expected.
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent movie, amazing cast
christophersn20066 February 2016
My wife and I loved this movie, it has action, romance, comedy and even some horror. Lily James is a future top star for sure, her acting was great and chemistry with the other actors was wonderful. I wasn't expecting much out of this movie, but was pleasantly surprised.

The movie kept us entertained throughout and wanting even more. It had a great story, my only complaint would be as others have stated more zombies. I loved the acting in this movie, like I said Lily James stole the show, but Sam Riley playing Mr. Darcy also did an amazing job. Definitely a movie worth seeing over and over. If you have any doubts about seeing this movie, just go see it, you won't be disappointed.
11 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brains! Where are the Brains!
popcorninhell8 February 2016
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies marks a continuation of the on- screen joke started by Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2012). A joke that requires no punchline, nor wit nor effort, just a setup that coaxes you to laugh via hastily formed, idiotic, willfully infantile mad-lib. See I can do it too: Mansfield Park and Werewolves, Jane Eyre and the Golem, Lady Chatterley's Brood of Spider-Babies it's all part of the clever art of mashing things together like a toddler banging Legos with their off-brand counterparts. I encountered the quixotically titled book some years ago and reacted to the trailer much in the same way I did then; a brief moment of mirth followed by an eye-roll and a quick step to the left.

Elizabeth Bennet (James) lives on her father's illustrious estate with her four sisters and her mother (Phillips) whom aristocracy is still a big deal regardless of apocalypse. Her sister Jane (Heathcote) is smitten for the young Mr. Bingley (Booth) who has a considerable estate. Meanwhile Bingley's friend, the drab, rich and prideful Mr. Darcy (Riley) becomes enamored with Elizabeth but Elizabeth refuses to acquiesce given that Darcy questions the motivations of the Bennets to see their daughters climb that stringent British social ladder. There's also zombies; the blood- thirsty kind that amble around in search of human brains. They have taken over all of Britain save London and the wooded area known as the In-Between.

The original Jane Austen novel for which this entirely disposable piece of garbage is based on, intertwines its themes with cleverness and remarkable universality. Is it any wonder that two centuries after its release it is still among the most popular British novels of all time? The novel speaks of wealth, marriage and a sense of self within an imposing class structure. This movie expressly ignores such themes to shovel lazy fighting choreography in the audience's faces. There is some talk about lower aristocrats training in kung fu while higher classes training in Japanese swordsmanship but after a brief example of Elizabeth speaking Mandarin, the entire idea pretty much disappears amid the damp cellars and drawing room rumbles.

But "so what," I hear the rabble cry. It's a zombie movie not an English examination of the lives of landed gentry. How right you are, it is a zombie movie; a PG-13 zombie movie that neither delves into the psychological horror of a zombie apocalypse nor allows its audience the joy of submitting to lewd sensationalism. Its gore is tame, its gallows humor is rueful, its sense of dread, apparent yet constantly undercut by the supposed romance. The satirical possibilities embedded in the genre since George A. Romero are completely absent which is a shame because in my mind it is the only reason something this absurd would exist in the first place. Think about it; nobility and aristocracy constantly squabbling about the economics of marrying for class and stature, meanwhile literally an entire country of mindless, bestial hordes try desperately to take away their titles (and lives).

Yeah, nope there's nothing purposefully, subliminally, or even accidentally clever about this movie. Not even its endearing economy remains unscathed though I credit the gaffer for keeping the sets dimmed to cover up their shoddiness. By the third act, continuity is completely jettisoned though it's obvious director Burr Steers was much more interested in maximizing style over telling a story competently.

There are moments of attempted humor that go beyond the title, and the protagonists trying oh so hard to play the scene straight. Unfortunately those precious few moments resemble Mr. Collins's (Smith) character; dim, irritating and earnestly overdone. In one scene Mr. Bingley throws a prototypical round bomb at a gaggle of zombies right before a hand reaches for his ascot. He struggles to break free before the bomb explodes in a sequence that would have made Wile E. Coyote proud. That was literally the only moment I laughed; a moment so puerile I felt my I.Q. lowering to the number of my shoe size. See the reality is in the morose, unconscionably stuffy, painfully contrived world created by PPZ there is no need for pride or prejudice; there is only room for stupidity.
36 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brains, braaaaiiiiiins, and tons of fun
pyrocitor29 January 2016
It is a truth universally acknowledged that no one really expected Pride and Prejudice and Zombies to be much good. Silly, campy fun, assuredly, but no more than an amusing trifle to mindlessly while away the passing moments. Well, anyone even fleetingly familiar with the works of Ms. Austen would know that to judge a book by its cover is exceedingly naughty, while anyone with passing knowledge of the zombie film would know that a surprising amount are replete with brains in more ways than one. Thus, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies haughtily thrusts its chin in the direction of naysayers, by boldly delivering all the silliness its title proclaims - only with the distinctly Mr. Darcy-like twist of bringing some of the best of its composite parts rather than what first impressions might suggest.

For a film seemingly more akin to Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, from the director of two consecutive pieces of Zac Efron fluff,P&P&Z from its opening moments onward, for a film so intentionally campy and stupid, is surprisingly sharp and on-point. Rather than pumping the contrast between its two warring influences strictly for laughs, writer/director Burr Steers is astute enough to realize the laughs need not be forced, but come far more unreservedly by committing to the premise as sincerely as possible. If anything, the film's biggest gag is being more satisfying as an Austen adaptation than zombie flick, as there's nitpicking to be had with the film's P3-13 violence (although Steers gets as gleefully gory as he can within ratings parameters), and running/talking zombies alike. Still, the twinkling aristocratic wit of Austenian England and the weary gallows humour of an apocalyptic action flick blend surprisingly well into one another, and Steers' adaptation of Seth Grahame-Smith's loving riff taps into the meat of the story, allowing the slog of a zombie war to tease out and accentuate the key elements of Austen's satire and characterizations alike (and let's face it: social faux-pas are just so much more satisfying when underscored with cathartic flip-kicks and decapitations). The novel's most beloved moments (including a slick lampooning of the infamous 'Mr. Darcy white shirt' scene) and key lines are often paired with plucky physical sparring, amidst perfectly timed bloodbaths just when proceedings start to stray more into Pride and Prejudice than Zombies.

But Steers doesn't stop there, germinating some surprisingly interesting subtext - subtle aristocratic class distinctions are determined by whether citizens receive their anti-zombie martial arts training in Japan or China, while a sliding scale of zombie sentience allows for a realm of gentrified xenophobia relatively untapped in the genre. It's a bit of a shame that such a genuinely excellent setup slides into somewhat of a disappointingly mundane finish, replete with muddy, abandoned 'Horsemen of the Apocalypse' mythology, and several subplots jumbling together in a messy and unsatisfying resolution. To see the dual climaxes of the novel's swooniness and the make-or-break mass showdown of the zombie war verge on face-planting rather than soaring is a bummer indeed. Still, Steers maintains such a confidently jaunty touch throughout, letting the ball dances lilt and the fight scenes crackle (including at least two unexpected, thunderously loud head shots which serve as riotous punchlines), that the film is almost never less than fabulously vibrant and more fun than it has any right to be.

Faced with retooling one of the most iconic protagonists in literary history, Lily James' Lizzie Bennett is commendably feisty and badass enough to firmly sate fans of either genre. Though Austen-diehards might fault her controversial slight teariness (you try having to constantly fend off the undead amidst the claustrophobic constraints of polite society and not feeling a little weepy sometimes), James' steely but playful charisma makes her an ideal, genre-straddling lead. Similarly (though his 70-year-old rasp takes some acclimatizing to), Sam Riley's mournful eyes and steadfast chin lend innate depth to the enigmatically brooding Mr. Darcy, and the commanding Riley swelters and sword fights like the best of them. Jack Huston perfectly blends the debonair affability and sinister unsavoury attributes of Mr. Wickham with a passionately invested energy, while Bella Heathcote and Douglas Booth are each adorably earnest as the tale's 'other' star-crossed lovers, and Charles Dance and Sally Phillips are deliciously slyly witty and boorishly superficial as Mr. and Mrs. Bennett. Still, the film may as well have been rebranded "The Matt Smith Show," as the former Doctor is nothing short of perennially hysterical as the prissy Mr. Collins, his every utterance, every facial expression, every snobbishly prancing step a scene-stealing, belly-laugh-erupting delight, in one of the most consistently pristine comedic performances seen in years.

Taking the p*ss out of historical romance and lending substance to axe-in-face escapism, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies blends the pleasures of its twain influences to a surprisingly satisfying degree. It's easily the most charming rom-zom-com since Shaun of the Dead (though, to be fair, the competition leaves something to be desired...) while a deceptively hearty Austen revamp to boot, and hugely enjoyable for audiences endeared to one, the other, or both. In fact, with such good fortune at hand, we're really only in want of one thing: bring on Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters, please.

-7.5/10
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pride + Prejudice + Zombies = a great time at the movies
Dave McClain8 February 2016
Pride and Prejudice… AND ZOMBIES?? It sounds strange. It is. It sounds like a bad B-movie, but is it? "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" (PG-13, 1:48) has a very unusual premise… but not a unique one. If you're tempted to dismiss this movie as disrespectful to classic literature, or history (or zombies), I'd encourage you to consider the following two movies: In 2005, Indian and British filmmakers got together to produce a Bollywood-style film called "Bride & Prejudice". It was loosely based on "Pride and Prejudice", Jane Austen's classic 1813 novel about conflicts and misunderstandings among young men and women of different social standing. In 2012, "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" created an alternate history by merging the personal background of the man who would become the 16th President of the United States with legends and fictional characteristics of the so-called "children of the night".

Worldwide, "Vampire Hunter" earned double what it had cost to produce. Box office receipts for "Bride & Prejudice" tripled that movie's budget. And then there are other alternate versions of history, such as 2009's "Inglourious Basterds", which doubled the money spent on its production, and fictionalized versions of history like 2003's "The Last Samurai" whose worldwide take was three times its budget.

What's more, "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" was co-written by Seth Grahame-Smith, who wrote the book on which that movie is based – and had previously written the 2009 mash-up novel "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies", the book on which the 2016 movie is based. So, if movies like this aren't unheard-of, and they make money, the most important question that remains is whether "Pride + Prejudice + Zombies" (as it's also written) is in the same class as the other films mentioned above.

Much like the characters in Jane Austen's original work, in this film, there's a wealthy Mr. Darcy (Sam Riley) whose pride is misinterpreted as arrogance by Elizabeth Bennet (Lily James), an independent young woman who tends to let first impressions and unproven stories prejudice her attitudes towards others. Darcy and Elizabeth clash at first, but eventually feel drawn to each other. UN-like Jane Austen's story, this is all happening as Darcy and Elizabeth are trying to fend off the zombie apocalypse.

In this film's version of history, Great Britain has become afflicted with a plague brought to its shores from its overseas empire. London has been walled off by the Grand Barrier and is further protected by the Royal Moat, a giant trench which encircles the city as well as an area of farm land known as the In-Between. Britain's undead roam the countryside in fairly small numbers, but are a persistent concern to the country's landowners… and there's something different about these zombies. They're not as fast as the flesh and brain eaters in "World War Z", but they are more intelligent than those in TV's "The Walking Dead". And there are rumors that the apocalypse described in the Bible's Book of Revelations will be a zombie apocalypse, complete with the biblical Four Horsemen and led by the Anti-Christ.

For the sake of self-preservation, British families who can afford it send their children (male and female alike) to Japan or China in order to receive training in martial arts and various kinds of weaponry. Elizabeth and her four sisters are especially skilled warriors who are encouraged in their training by their father (Charles Dance). On the other hand, their mother (Sally Phillips) is more focused on marrying off all five of them as quickly as possible – so they can be protected and supported. At a nearby ball, an eligible bachelor named Mr. Bingley (Douglas Booth) sets his eyes on Elizabeth's older sister, Jane (Bella Heathcote). Soon afterward, Elizabeth is being pursued by the awkward and obnoxious Parson Collins (Matt Smith). She has no interest in the Parson, or in the growing affections of Mr. Darcy, especially after what she hears about him from a British soldier named Wickham (Jack Huston), a man from Darcy's past. The relationships just get more complicated and more challenging as the story progresses. This is, after all, a period romance… and an ongoing struggle to avoid getting eaten by zombies.

"Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" is tough to describe and do it justice. It's strange, but not too weird. It's a B-movie premise that does not play like a B-movie. Production values are high, the acting is strong and Burr Steers' writing and directing tell a well-constructed stylized story. And the movie smartly avoids extremes. The zombie killings are not overly gory and the romance isn't too sappy. The various elements of Austen's tale and the book's zombie story work together remarkably well – better than most Movie Fans would probably expect. In short, Pride + Prejudice + Zombies = a great time at the movies. "A"
14 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awesome expansion from the book!
td_gwendy8 February 2016
I'm a big fan of the original Pride and Prejudice novel as well as the 1995 series and the 2005 movie. My husband bought me the Pride and Prejudice and Zombies book and I can't say the book was thoroughly enjoyable. So I wasn't expecting too much from the movie, but I was really blown away by how much and how well they expanded from the source material. This is one of the very few instances where I can say the movie is worlds better than the book. Wickham is a proper villain, the zombies are better placed as an integral part of the story instead of just a silly backdrop, the fight scenes are awesome, the zombie war more plausible if you will, and thank goodness they did away with a lot of the silliness like Wickham's weak sphincter muscles and the cauliflower heads (readers of the book will know). I also love the fact that they gave so many nods to all previous multimedia adaptations, from the original Jane Austen book, to PPZ, and even to the 1995 series and 2005 movie!

With that said, the movie is far from perfect. It has editing flaws especially when one character is speaking yet the camera is not on them. There were also too many useless characters IMHO (I actually think they should have killed off some of the Bennet sisters) and a few plot holes but it can be overlooked.

Over all, it's a very entertaining movie. For an unbiased opinion, it would have to come from my poor husband, who went with me solely to watch The Eleventh Doctor...I mean Matt Smith. He enjoyed the movie too, surprisingly.

I suggest everyone give it a try before passing it off.
11 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Story, Cliché's, Gore & zombies. Surprisingly good!
comps-784-382657 February 2016
I saw the trailer for this film when I went to see Revenant at the Cinema. The trailer looked so intriguing zombies in the 19th Century.So had to go see it. I've never read pride and prejudice so that side meant very little to me.

I had no great expectations.

What a good film! ( assuming you don't take anything with zombies in it too seriously.)

The acting was good, the story was believable, the characters were developed and there was even some humour (Matt Smith added a lot of this). Most amazing of all, it had lots of zombies in it. It really got the balance right of, story, clichés and gore.

If (like me) you like the look of the trailer, then you will almost certainly enjoy this film.

I've given it 8/10 but would add another point for being much better than expected.
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brainless and Silly Destruction of a Wonderful Romance
Claudio Carvalho29 May 2016
"Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen is among the most beautiful romances ever. The 2005 cinema version directed by Joe Wright is a gem of the cinema industry.

The bad taste and lack of respect of "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" by Burr Steers is impressive, destroying the wonderful romance with a brainless and silly version. However, the high-quality of the production, direction, performances, art direction, costumes and lighting is totally unexpected and unusual. It is conflictive, but my vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "Orgulho e Preconceito e Zumbis" ("Pride and Prejudice and Zombies")
11 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Keira Knightly watch out you have been served
smokedsalmoned-2805813 February 2016
This was a really good flick. My wife and I saw the Keira version a number of years ago and I gotta admit it was fun and gave you an eyeful of the dilemma women must have had when wealth only passed through sons. I watched this with my wife, and enjoyed Matt Smiths performance but the lead actress Lily James carried this movie. I was not quite sure how on earth this movie was going to play out but in the end it she just rocked. Keep in mind I really enjoyed keiras performance in the original non zombie version. One downer in this film is that sadly this Mr Darcy just did not have the gravitas that several prior MR. Darcy's have had. Perhaps it was because he was so young looking, looking more like 22 than the typical 30 plus actors I have seen in the past that seem more believable when they push back on the elder aristocracy in scenes, they should have pulled in an actor 5 or 10 years his senior. The movie was just alternate universe great for the first 2/3 and then as it moved into the final confrontation it veered more and more from the source material and I think that made it sink to just solidly entertaining movie. SPOILER sort of, stay through the first part of the credits folks.......
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Silly but Very Fun Movie, Jane Austen would be Proud
Awesome Movie Discussion8 February 2016
This movie is a bit of a surprise to me since I wasn't really expecting much from it. The trailers looked alright but I didn't know if it would be something that I would get into. I wouldn't go so far to say that it's an excellent film or anything like that but I did have a lot of fun with this one. The story is straight up ridiculous but if you go into it expecting a silly story with a little bit of action then I don't see any reason why you wouldn't enjoy yourself. The movie is directed by a guy named Burr Steers who, to be honest, I have no knowledge whatsoever of anything he has done in the past. Still, he did a decent job in my opinion. Let's talk about the plot.

The title of the movie isn't just a reference to the time period. This story is literally a retelling of the original novel written by Jane Austen. Elizabeth Bennet (Lily James) and her sisters live in an alternate version of nineteenth century England where a zombie virus has forced the bulk of the populace behind a wall around London. Elizabeth and her sisters have trained in various styles of martial arts in order to survive in this world. Elizabeth is proud of her ability and refuses to succumb to the temptation of marriage unless her husband respects her wishes and allows her to continue to hone her skills. She soon meets a man named Mr. Darcy (Sam Riley) who offends her pride and stands between a successful relationship between his best friend and Elizabeth's sister. Oh, and there are tons of zombies around that everyone occasionally fight against.

I wouldn't call this the best cast I've ever seen but they do a decent enough job. Lily James gives us the haughtiness required of any good Elizabeth and she can also show off the fighting skills necessary to survive the zombie apocalypse. I also enjoyed Sam Riley's Mr. Darcy. Once again, nothing too spectacular but he gives a decent portrayal of the character. I like that they made him a bit unlikable which is how I imagined Mr. Darcy when I first read the novel in high school (the original, I mean). One character that does stand out to me is Matt Smith's portrayal of Parson Collins. I found this guy hilarious with they way he was able to make those around him cringe with his actions or just by saying whatever came into his head. He might actually be one of the best parts of the film.

There are a lot of spooky looking forests in this movie that help to set the tone pretty well. I did find myself wondering why everyone keeps taking shortcuts through this ridiculously dangerous forest though. I really enjoyed the actual look of the zombies. The zombies that haven't eaten any human flesh yet actually retain the ability to speak which is really unsettling (and a bit comedic) from some of these creatures. The faces of some of them are straight up falling off the skull and they look surprisingly convincing.

One thing that I wasn't aware of at first but this movie follows the original story very closely. I thought the title was just a reference to the time period but a lot of this film is straight up conversations made from Jane Austen. They just tweaked the plot to allow for all the zombies and other mayhem going on. I was surprised by this at first but it actually works well. The movie is still silly and is a bit difficult to take seriously but it does have some really fun parts to it. This obviously won't be for everyone but I actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I do think it works even better to come into the film already having knowledge of the original story just so you can see how many things they changed and what they kept the same. I recommend it to fans of the original that just so happen to enjoy an average to good zombie flick. It kind of reminds me of that Victor Frankenstein movie that came out a little while ago. Not a fantastic film but still offers a fun time at the theater.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.