Code Name Emperor (2022) Poster

A Welcome Departure from Usual Spy Story
albertval-6956018 August 2022
It's not usually how spy movies are treated. This one takes a different tack in exploring the subject of political blackmail and manipulation by means of electronic surveillance. It's an engaging story without any dull moment as pacing is just right.

Luis Tosar is his usual great self as a talented actor. What might be surprising is casting an otherwise unknown actress with Filipino descent. And she acquits herself admirably. May this vehicle help Alexandra Masangkay's film career. The producers might have included her for the sake of inclusivity but they did not err in their choice or gambit, if you like.

This is a thoughtful film. Don't expect a surfeit of action sequences ala James Bond or Jason Bourne. But it drives home an important point: the things men do to exploit the weakness of others for their nefarious ends.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Codename ... what?
kosmasp17 August 2022
Maybe I am too much of a fan of Luis Tosar. Maybe that is true more than anything (like me also being too nice to movies most of the time) - but maybe just maybe it is deserving ... considering the performance he is able to deliver ... once again. He is phenomenal - and if you think his character is one sided ... than you either have not seen the whole movie or didn't pay enough attention to it.

No offense, but even if you know or discover slowly what he is - there is more to him than meets the (private) eye! No pun intended. The thriller is predictable in at least certain areas - like the beginning. But it is important, because two major characters are being introduced. And because I had not seen any trailer or read anything, I was not able to know everything that would be going on. It kept me guessing for a second or two - is this going to happen next? Are they there, because .. someone else is there too? Questions will be answered - but as I already said, even more important is that we get to know the characters. Mainly the main male one - and how he ticks. Because he may be one thing mostly, but he also is a human. Which he shows later on, when he "helps" someone else with "girlfriend" problems! We need that scene to connect with him - no matter what is morally right or the fact that it may not be entirely morally right ... actually there is a lot wrong with what he is doing.

The thriller works on many levels - and yes our main character is flawed ... not just a little, but a lot. But he has to go through a journey ... he was one thing for a long time. You can't change entirely from one moment to the other. Will he be able to change? Will "they" let him change? Well watch to find out (no pun intended)
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A goog movie
fernandoantelodiaz21 August 2022
"rara avis" in the current panorama of Spanish cinema. In my opinion the interpretation of Miguel Rellán is a little off the hook, I expected something more consistent. Overall, I think it's a good movie.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
maybe a little muddled in places, but an alright film
thewalkingpuns21 August 2022
I found this film to be good, but a little boring getting near the middle. Luis tosar as juan did a great job and I enjoyed his acting and the two seperate lives he leads. I was also pleasantly surprised to see georgina amoros. I always enjoy things she is in and I feel she just brings a ray of sunshine to her roles. The plot could've been better, but there was enough of it to keep it interesting. Overall not bad. But could've been better Georgina amoros.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Taut tale of intrigue and deception
yogi-2209518 September 2022
This is a very well-crafted story about a shady operative who comes to have doubts about what he is doing. The acting and script are top knotch, and the pace and timing of the plot are measured enough so you can grasp all the complexity of the overlapping storylines while also keeping your attention, not to mention keeping you guessing. The only off note concerns the operation in Panama, which was an unnecessary distraction. Missing are the excessive blood and explosions which seem to be required in all "action" films these days, and that added a star to my rating. A film that does not insult your intelligence.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved this thriller!
paraicm19 August 2022
This is a really solid, well-made, intriguing and eminently watchable film. Unlike typical Hollywood 'action', with constant fight scenes, explosions and CGI to force the pace and to keep you "entertained", this movie brings you into a well-acted story plot and keeps you there. Highly recommended! Enjoy.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The main character does all kinds of mischief. He is a thug!
clsi-1910213 August 2022
A naughty and manipulative character, of those who will do anything to achieve a goal. This guy is capable of selling his mother if it brings him any advantage. In addition to being bad, the film is the state of the art of the bad character who plays nice.
11 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a disappointment!!!
Guanche4814 August 2022
Very weak this movie, disappointing...And veeery predictable from start to finish!!!

Don't get the high ratings at all.

Luis Tosar is okay, I have seen better from him, and that's the only positive.

The story is poorly edited and worse detailed, as in a hurry. The exciting moments are only a few,... it doesn't have to be action all the time, that's not what I mean, but there is nothing psychological or interesting here.

It turns into a love story very quickly and the ending is very disappointing and bitter. Is Spain always so corrupt? Hope not.

.. I have a lot of hope that it won't be always like that, keep on fighting!
5 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pathetic Ending
obedkimm16 August 2022
Those who deserved vengeance never received it. Basic script writing of a ba guy falling in love and drifting in th the end. My worst watch of the year so far.
4 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Against the current
avindugunasinghe2 January 2023
A master builder tear down an empire from top to bottom in this delightful spy thriller. Thorough precise work by Luis Tosar brings a veteran presence to the movie. This is the kind of thriller that does work without the the common fire works and car chases. It's a rarity to come across a plot with true cinematic value. Code name Emperor's main character Juan is the kind of whistleblowers our world need. In a world where men and women made into puppets using data or the secrets Juan's character finds empathy and that emotions are carefully performed. The societal and political commentary is excellent. Code Name Emperor in these regards is an excellent movie.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.