How It Ends (2021) Poster

(2021)

A lot of talent was wasted on this forgettable film
rachbruno20 July 2021
I really wanted to like this movie. It could have been really good but I didn't think that the main character had enough substance to carry the plot in an interesting way. I would have rather watched any of the side character's stories. It wasn't unwatchable or bad, it was just nothing special. The writer and director could have really said something about some big themes like regret and facing our mortality. But instead we got awkward, clunky dialog and a protagonist who I didn't care about or feel invested in.
40 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Big bag of bore
texjones322 July 2021
If you're looking for a movie to have on in the background while you're multitasking on something else I still wouldn't recommend this. If you come across a review with glowing praise then it's probably from a pretentious soul that cuts and eats a candy bar with a fork and knife.
28 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Alot of blah blah blah...
ezgolucky21 July 2021
Wow just a collection of quirky people this woman finds while walking the streets of Los Angeles. That's it. Most of them were dull and uninteresting with equally dull and boring conversations...
32 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Art of Blabla
Tweetienator22 July 2021
Instead of enduring one day with that kind of people we are introduced to and meet in this little flick, I would shoot myself pronto - why waste time? It would be an act of grace and I would spare myself 24 terrible hours. How It Ends does not belong to the list of worst movies I ever watched (production, acting is solid) but it is for sure one of the most boring ones ever. Recommended for everyone who want to watch how so called creative people orbit around the one thing they only know well - their ego (they of course call it individuality). Last note: if the premise sounds interesting to you, try These Final Hours (2013), it's a way more interesting, entertaining and deeper movie.
23 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sigh
rowell12223 July 2021
Mildly annoying conversations and awkwardness. Then it's over.
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What was that ?
rotini-5258621 July 2021
Stupiest movie I've ever watched. What was the point ?
21 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Food for thought, interesting, good pace all along and funny.
dani-localisation21 July 2021
I really enjoyed this film. I'm 45 years old and after all my life watching movies and series mostly everything I watch nowadays seems to be a copy of a copy. This movie didn't bore me at all. It makes you think about life, about forgiveness, about how holding grudges mostly harms you and about remember that this life is only a game and that you should never leave the child in you behind. It was fast paced, ironic at times and funny most of the time. I also loved all the performances. A really fine film with a lot of talented people. Really grateful to have watched this. Thanks guys!
21 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Forced and artificial quirkiness, formulaic
random-7077826 July 2021
Dumbed down version of a plot that has been around forever.

The artificial quirkiness is a cringeworthy crutch.

2/10 is generous.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You should only watch the trailer
roxlerookie29 July 2021
The trailer made the film look much better than it is.

It tried to be deep, philosophical, existential, and largely failed.

It also felt so un-relatable, looking at this privileged white LA girl life. A good story is one where you root for the characters, where something resonates with you, where the themes are universal. Where you have the story on the surface, but you're also telling a deeper story through the story. Like how Jaws is about sharks but really is about 3 very different dudes learning to work together.

Here, there's non of that. Characters are flat. Feels fake. At least it was short.

The only good thing in this movie was Cailee Spaeny.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It ends like this
jackdan-0527321 July 2021
No creativity.

It ends when you pretend to be a writer and director and producer to copy classic movies with strong male characters and shove them up women's "mouths" as you have some creativity. But they don't.
16 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poorly executed film
mottawa-7687524 July 2021
What a horrible film. Besides the star studded cast, the story lacks any depth. It tries really hard to seem deep and profound, but it felt like a high school project shot during covid. Really, really bad movie.
9 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A feel good film which dares to be different
just80822 July 2021
This film probably wouldn't had been created if it wasn't for Covid. It's a quaint film, it contains the essence of a mix between a Woody Allen film and Waking Life. Without giving any spoilers away. The film is essentially about death, and the journey along the way, but cultivated in a feel good way. Those reviewers who stated they don't understand the point, probably don't understand life. Although, I gave it an extra two stars as I was stoned which made it more enjoyable.
15 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Comedic and Entertaining But Lacking in Style
sweidman-280161 February 2021
On the last day on Earth, one woman goes on a journey through LA to make it to her last party before the world ends, running into an eclectic cast of characters along the way. How It Ends is an interesting and hilarious concept. Firstly, using characters and having a metaphysical younger version of themselves works in its favor. We have two good lead performances from Zoe Lister-Jones (older Liza) and Cailee Spaeny (younger Liza). Lister-Jones also co-directs the movie. The direction is fine, but halfway through it loses steam. It's all based on celebrity cameos which start out absolutely hilarious, but seem repetitive after a while. Some are meant to be more emotional, which doesn't always work. This was all shot during lockdown so they were limited with their approach obviously. It could've done a little bit more creative in style. We've seen other projects finding ways to keep the creativity up, but it's bland in style. Still, this is delightful. I wonder if they made this into a short-form miniseries rather than a movie, it would've worked better since it already looks like a YouTube show. I will rewatch this when it comes out for a good laugh and entertaining time.
12 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring and where were the jokes?
enigma-947-33946727 July 2021
I gave it a chance but it put me to sleep. Didn't laugh out loud once in 25 mins so I called it.

Not much else to say about it. Be prepared for a mediocre story and writing.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Finally I got it why Hollywood promotes marijuana!
BOOGIEMAN-pN19 August 2021
I always wondered why Hollywood promotes weed so heavily in most of its modern movies, even though consuming it is punishable by law ... and this movie made me finally get it! It's actually quite simple - "How It Ends" is so boring and artsy-fartsy philosophical crap, that there is no chance average person can enjoy it unless he(she/it...) is stoned. Unfortunately, I only use beer as my movie watching mood enhancer, and that wasn't strong enough.

If you are in for a good pre-apocalyptic movie, I'd rather recommend you "It's a Disaster" and "These Final Hours" instead of this one.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
That was tough to sit thru
zach7730 July 2021
I know it's supposed to be satire about the end day of the world before a big asteroid hits. Just 2 girls walking thru the streets of suburban LA meeting 1 set piece after another. None of it was funny at all. Almost cringe worthy tbh.

I'm usually quite fair with my ratings too. Check my history if you'd like.

The best part of this film is the runtime @ 1h23m (less a few minutes for start/end credits). LOL.
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring and unconvincing
Gordon-117 August 2021
The synopsis sounds fun, but the actual story is very boring. Nothing happens, and I just don't see the point of the film. I have a hard time in believing that the world is ending, based on how empty the streets are, and how calm people are. The story doesn't convince me at all.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nothing more than a series of conversations...
NullUnit3 August 2021
This could have EASILY been a podcast or radio show. There's no point to any visuals. It's just a series of conversations as characters traverse a neighborhood. Some of the conversations contain a witty line every now and then, but on the while, it's not a comedy.

I don't know what the "vision" was for this but it seems like it was just to get as many familiar faces in front of a camera and have a 5 minute conversation.... The entire "end of the world" thing is just something characters elude to, but that's it.

Overall I found it a waste of time.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World much?
kimohara-5868717 August 2021
10 years ago there was the quirky, witty, bizarre "Seeking a Friend for the End of the World". Which pretty much had the same plot points. People going bonkers in a cute way over the imminent apocalypse.

How was this movie here even greenlighted?
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
check yourself, and your younger self
ferguson-619 March 2021
SXSW 2021 Greetings again from the darkness. We get glimpses of the meteor that's speeding on a collision course with Earth, but no character ever points it out. In fact, most emit a chill vibe that corresponds to that of the film. The only exception is Liza. Played by Zoe Lister-Jones, Liza simply wants to get trashed and let the world end overnight ... well after she finishes off her morning pancakes (at least a dozen) and glass of wine. Liza's only problem is Young Liza (Cailee Spaeny), her metaphysical younger self who pressures Liza to attend the Apocalypse Party being thrown by Mandy (Whitney Cummings).

In addition to attending the party, Young Liza persuades Liza to spend the day confronting her regrets. This includes meeting up separately with her divorced parents (Brad Whitford and Helen Hunt), as well as a former best friend (Olivia Wilde), and past boyfriends, including her one true love (Logan Marshall-Green). In fact, this trip down Regret Road provides a steady stream of stereotypical California flakes. This means none of the soul-searching ever goes very deep, but playing spot-the-funny-person is a win-win. None of the interactions seem to last more than 2-4 minutes, but it's a blast seeing how many familiar faces pop up during Liza and Young Liza's day of walking. I won't name the others here so that you can enjoy each moment - some more than others.

The film is co-written and co-directed by Zoe Lister-Jones and Daryl Wein, and it's one of the more entertaining 'pandemic' films so far. For me, the constant roll of quick vignettes never got old, but you should know that as good as the performances are from Lister-Jones and Spaeny, the soul-searching and self-discovery only skims the surface. Still, a chill End of the World party seems perfect, even if a 1980's relic agreed to be a punchline.
15 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enough good humor and earnest healing to override the slapstick and smultz
diedaily7720 July 2021
It is doomsday so folks are living it up, making amends, looking for the ultimate good time, and what you'd expect on the final day of existence (minus the physical violence). There are lots of decent jokes, tropes, caricatures, and so forth; but, there is also an interesting s/f premise: a few apparently schizo people who have been seeing and conversing with their younger selves notice that others are engaging with these hitherto private/suppressed phantoms which opens up the dialogue greatly. Many embarrassing, moral, and developmental jokes ensue and they are generally pretty funny. Some deeper themes, as regards relationships, sexuality, and the lost/mishandled opportunities of youth ensue and get examined. These are not handled in too cringe-worthy a way (and that's actually a pretty high compliment). Overall, it's a film that knows that it walks the line between situational comedy and the super-basic-self-realization that we see is often missing in Americans today.
10 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My Kind of a Movie
TheVintageArchive31 January 2021
"I LOVE THAT FOR YOU"

A fun and pleasant surprise with sublime performances from Zoe Lister-Jones and Caliee Spaeney. Love your younger self, love your self! Filled with fun cameos. Standout cameos in order of appearance: Finn Wolfhard, Logan Marshall-Green, Fred Armisen, Bradley Whitford, Sharon Van Etten, Olivia Wilde, Lamorne Morris, Helen Hunt, and Colin Hanks
15 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Different
atractiveeyes26 July 2021
It's cute, decent, different, funny but also easily forgettable. It has an interesting idea and delivers a nice message. Performances are very good. How It Ends is an enjoyable feel good movie but could've been a bit better.
4 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Minimalist, brilliant, unique.
AaronNashar31 January 2021
When all life is about to end, and earth itself is about to cease to exist... You're left with nothing but yourself, and all the unfinished business you'll need to deal with so you could die in peace.

The movie was very minimalistic due to pandemic restrictions, but that just added to the general aesthetic of loneliness and the idea that it's all about to end. The streets of LA being so empty and calm was chilling, and definitely played in the movie's favor.

The brilliance in this movie really is stemmed in how they execute self-reflection. I can hardly say anything about it without spoiling the movie, but it really does elevate the movie as a whole, and makes it all the more interesting.

The star-studded movie is just unique all around. Of all the movies that are centered around the idea of the apocalypse, this one has touched me the most. Kudos to all the cast and crew, thanks you.
13 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
valentin_sieben29 July 2021
A girl goes around in her small town and meets strange people doing strange things because its the end of the world.

But all these are insignifiant, meaningless, and the impression is that this is a good for nothing trip..Boring Its a perfect good for nothing screen time. Avoid it.

Worst play choice i v done in a long time.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.