Found (2021) Poster

(I) (2021)

One of the best documentaries ever!!
snperera3 December 2021
This documentary! Wow! What to even say!! It is so heartbreaking and hopeful and warm and shows the realities of what it is like to be adopted from another country. I feel like some people, myself included(in the past) thought how great and beautiful adoption and a happy ending, but did not realize of the trauma and struggles and pain that the adoptees have to go through. This documentary is so powerful and beautiful!
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Watch
kupukupumu20 October 2021
Watched this on Netflix just now and I found this documentary has many angles.

The documentary tells about the One Child Policy in China that left many babies stranded and given away by poor families and how many many years later three girls who were adopted by American parents trying to find their biological parents in China.

The documentary invokes questions about the policy itself. On one side it was a bit harsh since poor family that could not afford to pay the fine of USD8,500 must give away their child(ren). On the other side, had China not adopted this policy, could China who were a poor country rise to be the economic power today?

The documentary also tells about human nature in general: all parents love their kids, adopted or not, no matter where you come from.

The documentary also shows that people are at the core all the same. Thus, all the current conflicts are pointless and stupid, fired by those with political hunger and ambition.

Again, this documentary tells much more than just the journey and effort of the three girls trying to find their biological parents.

Oh, like any movie today, it has a plot twist.
26 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oh
DVK123425 October 2021
So the title is "Found" but the reality is that the three adopted girls have not found their biological parents. Yes, it is nice that they found each other through DNA tests. They also found their nannies. They didn't, unfortunately, find their biological parents. I'm not sure I would have watched from the outset had I been provided with this information.
5 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What is a family?
srooks128 October 2021
Three young women adopted as babies from China go on a journey to discover their roots. For them, it is a journey of self-discovery to find out who and what make up a family. They also discover a people who are not the stereotypes that media and politics would have us believe. This film is a journey into the heart. It is simply done, yet poweful.
18 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting!
lolipop_big3 November 2021
We'll made , it's unfortunate that they couldn't find their parents at the end. Hats down to all these wonderful American families, for treating these kids like their own and were so open about it. One child policy was brutal but necessarily to save China. Look at them now, in just 40 years , the became one the most powerful counties...
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Respectfully told....not exploitive.
cindyrellaexists16 November 2021
Well done with respect for all involved. The film kept the true human element rather than making it some horrific grandiose event. Yes it's sad for all involved when babies had to be abandoned but the focus stayed on how well things can turn out if people step up to care.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fairly heartbreaking
pali-282-3870726 October 2021
I felt for everyone in this and I preferred that it was not broken up into a set of episodes.

Towards the end I really felt for the family and the fathers reaction when he was told it wasn't a match.
14 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very good - spoilers
chriscupo31 October 2021
This was a very good documentary about three young women who were adopted from China during the one child policy during that time period and their journey to locate their biological parents in China. Their adoptive parents are truly wonderful and the woman who helps them is remarkable. You experience their hopes, joy and sadness. The one thing I learned that at the point the documentary was done, none of the women had found their parents but they found each other and maybe that is the point of it. I would love to see an update of their stories.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Outstanding with Respect and Dignity
ymschwartzman14 November 2021
The movie is about the personal search of three independent girls. They are Asian, born in China and adopted by non-Asian American families.

It is done with respect and dignity. It is highly emotional. We learn how to empathize with the unknown birth parents. We learn how to honor and love the caregivers from the orphanage. We learn how to accept our 'fate' in life. The adoptive families are open, honest and caring. The girls are all well adjusted and brought up with much respect for all.

What I absolutely loved about the film was that it focuses on the caring side. It focuses on the compassion side. It avoids damning the Chinese government or the birth parents. Rather, it identifies the incredible difficult time period of the one child law. Even the cultural 'anti-girl' sentiment was treated with high respect and understanding.

I encourage any children to see this. It teaches about love and family from a healthy positive outlook.

My OUTSTANDING compliments to Netflix for a PHENOMENAL MOVIE.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lovely
jahaugh16 November 2021
I needed a good, heartfelt, sincere documentary about good people, and this delivered. Other reviews so far have mentioned the compassion of the aunties / nannies, which is absolutely true, but I have to give a big shout-out to Liu Hao, the genealogy researcher who made herself vulnerable and cared deeply about all parties who wound up in these circumstances. She is the nucleus of a very emotional process for everyone.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great documentary
haydenbrown-2437430 October 2021
Great documentary Was in tears most of the movie Really makes you think I felt for the parents that adopted I felt for the girls that were adopted I felt for the biological parents

Made you think about alot of things.
14 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I loved this
restingnurseface23 October 2021
My husband and I just finished the movie. It is such an emotional journey. I really feel like I learned a lot, and the telling of all the different sides of the stories was so well done. Thank you to the girls, families and genealogist for bringing us along for the ride. The nannies in China are rock stars. I hope at some point there will be updates that you can let us in on. Thank you.
26 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice twist at the end
arnoldpoon4 November 2021
Despite the unmatched results, every one did a great job. Props to the DNA database because it helped another girl reuniting with her birth mother (or at least knowing each other's existence). The nannies deserve the greatest credit for all the sweats and tears poured in taking care thousands of babies, and being able to recount their early months, if not years! There's not nothing more touching in the world than discovering your "lost past". It'd be nicer if this had been made into a series, which could potentially help fund the genealogist's work. She seems so devoted.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A refreshing, realistic and grounded piece that tugs at the heartstrings
dqcbbnf25 December 2021
An amazing piece from beginning to end. It will really make you appreciate what family you do have and cherish your time with them. The production is not bloated with Hollywood fluff, but an endearing focused insight into these girls' situations. While their situations may seem unique and far away, at the end you'll feel more in common with these girl's than you initially thought regardless of what country you live in or language you speak.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great found indeed
suhakri6 November 2021
A very well made documentary with a very good perspective. Even tho at the end non of the 3 girls found their match, but the trip especially the last visit to the potential family where the father is so sad that it was not a match, become the eye opener for other girl who have always wonder why they was given up. Because they now can see the other side of their story from the family who were forced to given up their child due to one child policy. None of the potential parent want to give up their children (aside from the liu's father), all they want to know is whether their daughters are doing ok. And the nanny, their dedication were really underappreciated. And amazingly how they remember each of the girl's story when they were still in the orphanage

kinda tear jerker i wold say.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful Story
Kperez0019 November 2021
This was a beautifully told story. I enjoyed their journey and learned so much from these girls. Probably the best part was watching them grown and develop as a support system. All four are amazing young women!
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wonderful documentary
monafre1 November 2021
I enjoyed the documentary. The fact that they didn't find their biological parents (yet) but the search was still successful because a different girl found her mother through their DNA testing was maybe bittersweet but also confirmed what some of the documentary hinted at the entire time, that some connections are fate.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.