The Dark Knight Rises (2012) Poster

2,772 Reviews
Stunning Conclusion to an Epic Trilogy
John16 July 2012
Not being a huge fan of superhero movies, I didn't have much expectations for Batman Begins. However viewing the 2005 Christopher Nolan production, I was pleasantly shocked. Then after my huge expectations for, "The Dark Knight", Christopher Nolan blew my expectations to the dust. Will the same happen with the 3rd and last film, "The Dark Knight Rises"? Quite simply, Yes! My big expectations were once again, blown away. What a production! This is a true cinematic experience, to behold. The movie exceeded my expectations in terms of action, and entertainment. The editing, sound, score, visuals, direction and action are all top notch.

The film contains a fine cast of talented actors. Christian Bale, of course still makes is a great Batman. Michael Cain is fantastic, as he always is. He gives such a powerful performance, he really ought to be considered for an Oscar nomination. Tom Hardy as Bane is utterly terrifying, at times, and completely ominous. Anne Hathaway as Catwoman/Selina Kyle is a scene stealer. She is completely engrossing. Everyone is so great, the dynamic scenes between the actors are so well done, so well written, and so well directed. The Dark Knight Rises is is emotionally riveting and amazing to view.

At a running time of almost 3 hours, the film never becomes dull, which is pretty impressive. The movie's action sequences are spectacularly well created and very intense. The dialogue between the character's are intelligent and highly believable. The movie's soundtrack is terrific and really exemplify's many of the movie's scenes. Extremely well editing and sound use really develop many of the movie's action scenes, so it's not just explosions and visuals like in many other movies. Nolan creates a grand, dirty, engrossing world, and his action sequences just hum.

In conclusion, this film is a gorgeous reminder that great writing and direction can enhance any movie-going experience, even superhero movies, which are usually thought of as mindless entertainment. I am wholly satisfied with Christopher Nolan's vision and thank all who worked on this film for bringing such an intricate interpretation of its very famous literary source. I cannot recommend this film anymore than I have, I just have to say everyone and anyone should see it. 10/10"
1,856 out of 2,695 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Head to head with Dark Knight
Sarmachar Khan28 March 2014
After watching Dark Knight Rises I concluded that if there is anybody who can make kick-ass sequels its Nolan. The film contains everything, from brilliant acting, raw action, out of the world one-liners and amazing cinematography. It is already very hard to make a sequel for a film which was just good enough hit but to make a sequel for a film which will always be remembered as the best you have to do a very impeccable job and that is what is done in this movie. From the beginning to the end you have some very beautiful and emotional scenes like the mob fight between the police and the thugs, the rise of the Batman from the prison and the chants "Deshi Deshi Basura Basura" towards the end where Alfred and Bruce see each other for probably the last time and both know that he has made it.
17 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A wonderful conclusion to a wonderful trilogy.
Geeky Randy1 January 2013
After eight years in seclusion, Batman resurfaces to face Bane, a mastermind bent on destroying Gotham and has ties to Bruce Wayne's past. Christopher Nolan's conclusion to his Dark Knight trilogy should be treated as a wrap up rather than a third installment. Despite many new characters being introduced, even their conflicts and motives are derived from events that occurred in the previous two films. Such an approach could be seen as a weakness, since the conflict could just end up being sort of a rematch rather than moving the story forward; however, Nolan's approach works terrificly. Over an hour is shot in stunning IMAX, but the film is more touching than it is intense… and that's its best quality. Hardy steps in as the genius mercenary Bane, who is slightly bigger, slightly stronger and slightly smarter than Batman, thus making him a challenge best suited for the grand finale. The Joker works best as Batman's arch-nemesis since they are polar opposites, with The Joker standing for everything Batman stands against. Two-Face works best as Batman's most tragic enemy because Harvey Dent is very much like Bruce Wayne… the only difference is: Dent copes with his tragedy through revenge rather than seeking justice as Wayne did. Bane works best as Batman's most challenging villain because of his physical and mental superiority—forget the Bane you saw in "BATMAN & ROBIN". Nolan carefully chose all his villains in the series wisely and executed them perfectly. Hardy had big shoes to fill following Ledger's posthumous Oscar winning performance; while Bane is no Joker, Hardy does a satisfying job and should not be compared to Ledger's performance as they are completely different roles. It is Michael Caine, however, that delivers the most memorable and touching performance of the entire film. A wonderful conclusion to a wonderful trilogy.

**** (out of four)
30 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Epic
Keshav Sharma2 June 2013
The Dark Knight Rises was a perfect sequel to a masterpiece. Christopher Nolan took a different direction and focused more on Bruce Wayne/Batman. This movie is filled with lots of emotions. It has such great characters and of course the dialogs is so good. The performances are incredible. It was my most anticipated movie of the century. The more I watch it, The more epic it gets. Personally, I think The Dark Knight Trilogy is the greatest Trilogy of all time and this movie gives the greatest ending of all time in the movie history. I remember seeing it thrice and the more I watched It the more respect it earns. Thank you Christopher Nolan, You Sir Are A Master.
18 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
End of a Trilogy and legend
Smith Smith5 December 2013
The Dark Knight Rises was an outstanding end to what has been the best trilogy I have ever seen.

The film to me sums up what the batman stands for, the belief that someone can turn their leaf and become better, the belief that the fear that posses a person can be be destroyed or even help that person rise. what Christopher Nolan has given us in The Dark Knight Rises is not a lazy movie, it's a movie that makes the audience think because for me i had to watch the film many times until i have fully understand what has happened, and isn't that what makes a good movie when we have to watch it again and again and again.

lets move on to the acting and the star man Christian Bale who again amazes me with his portrayal of Bruce Wayne, because even though we don't see a lot of the dark knight i personally am okay with that because i like seeing the real Bruce Wayne dealing with problems without the batman costume. another star man was Tom Hardy as Bane, "scary" yes, "intimidating" yes, "witty" yes and this list can go on. the thing that tipped it was that we can only see his eyes, to me he was only acting with his menacing eyes that just captivates any audience. Anne Hathaway as catwomen was a perfect cast as she brings the zing to the film, she's elegant and yet sexy at the same time, which was perfect casting. perfect casting all round including obviously Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Blake (robin).

The Dark Knight Rises give audiences nearly three hours of pure excitement, for me i wanted it to continue for another three hours, the film was so good i had to watch the next day because it had every element of what makes a good batman film, such as the villain (bane) because he was the physical match for batman not like the other phenomenal batman films which was more psychotic villains. a good love story that doesn't bore the audience and a great ending.

overall this was the ultimate ending to an ultimate trilogy which is a must watch. once again Christopher Nolan has done something special.
60 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Choose your punishment Mr.Nolan, Death or Exile?
Jackie Robinson30 August 2012
I'm not one for writing reviews, but the positive response this movie is getting makes me uneasy. I'm really worried about the general population.

The acting is just shocking. Michael Cain delivers a good performance, but because everyone else is so terribly 2 dimensional, his character seems almost comically overacted.

The story is cliché, poorly written and the time-jumps are just bad. Why is Bane pushed aside in the last 15 minutes of the movie and an intelligent, interesting character turned into some girls thug (some girl we know, or care, nothing about). It's bad, I didn't know Nolan was capable of anything this poor. The movie would have been far better if Bane was a real person trying to incite a real revolution. And I find the glorification of the rich in this film interesting at a time when their is global social unrest towards them in real life. Is this propaganda or what?

Why don't the bad guys use their guns? Don't they know that just pointing them at batman doesn't do anything? And walking closer and closer to him until the gun is almost touching him also doesn't help? And then using their gun as bat instead of as a gun is also stupid? And the background combat is also lame. I saw way too many punches that actually didn't touch the face of their victim. It's just poor and unacceptable.

Why the hell do all the cops just walk towards the enemy in a big mass? Only the first line can fire? One grenade in the middle of them will destroy them? What kind of city sends all of their cops down a hole? Even if they somehow decided doing this was a good idea, they wouldn't send 10 thousand cops leaving the city unprotected. How about the army? When Batman tells robin (LOL) to get people off the Island, why does he go and grab 10 kids? Out of a city of millions? Where the hell is the cities population? Why don't we see anyone except Bane and a few of this thugs? How does Batman keep appearing exactly where he needs to be at exactly the right time without explanation? Who the hell is cat-women and why do we care? Why does the bad chick (who's Banes boss apparently) keep yabbering with her finger on the detonator, instead of just pressing the damn thing? It's not 1990, those things just aren't acceptable.

Oh god the prison scene, It's been a long time since I've wanted to vomit and kill myself at the same time, but this did it. Cliché to the maximum. And when Garry drops the bomb diffuser just out of fingers grasp, on the moving truck. Man, come on Nolan, were you even a part of this film or did you just pay others to do it for you and pick up the pay-check? Did anyone who's raving about how good this film is even watch it? Makes me depressed.

I could go on and on but I can't be bothered and nobody is going to read it. This should be a 6 on IMDb, and that's generous. People are as stupid as the movie.
356 out of 550 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lazy, incoherent, and unsatisfying on nearly every level.
seniorlimpio26 July 2012
What makes things worse, is that its predecessors were basically intricate works of genius, but TDKR lacks essentially everything that made The Dark Knight (particularly) one of the greatest superhero movies ever produced. On top of all this, everyone's bandwagoning on thinking it's great because it's "supposed" to be great, right?!?! How could Nolan's finale not be a masterpiece?! Well, I'll tell you...

Bruce Wayne acts out-of-character from not just the first two movies, but from the comic as well. Catwoman's motivation and place in the story is weak, flat, and forced. For a movie that's almost three hours long, you only get about 20 minutes of Batman in costume (if you're lucky). The movie jumps in weird time increments that are mildly confusing, but mostly forced to facilitate its wanna-be epic nature.

As for more heavily SPOILERY observations...

Commissioner Gordon is barely in the movie, spending most his time injured in a hospital, while Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character comes out of the blue and does what you'd expect the Commissioner to be doing... solution- COMBINE THE TWO CHARACTERS!!!

The two Batman vs. Bane fights are flat and boring as hell. Bane is a cardboard, unexplored (until a late-third act flashback... of all ridiculous cliché plot devices) character that reaches for sympathy in one of the most embarrassing, wanna-be-tender, totally out-of-place, extremely laughable scenes I've ever seen in my life- HE FRIGGIN' CRIES?!!?!?

Every single, yes EVERY SINGLE cop in Gotham marches down into the sewers on a tip that Bane's raising a secret army, only to have all the entrances blown up so they can be trapped down there... for like three months. Reread that last sentence and tell me what part of it makes sense.

Bane holds Gotham hostage with a 4 megaton nuclear device, after blowing up all but one bridge leading into and out of the city, for three months and the U.S. government does nothing. Seriously, nothing. It's said they negotiated a truce and had FEMA send in supplies for survival. Read that last paragraph and tell me what part of it makes sense.

The "real" villain reveals him/her self in an absurd Act 3 "twist" that's followed by a narrated flashback (the same one that leads to Bane CRYING), and throughout the entire monologue Batman sits there doing nothing after a knife has been thrust/held into his side.

After the 2nd lame Bats/Bane fight, the bulk of the late Act 3rd "action sequence" consists of little more than Batman flying around in that weird-looking clunky flying thing that supposed to be the Bat Plane- half of which is of him outmaneuvering missiles that the bulky "plane" couldn't have possibly eluded.

I really, really, really, really, really, really wanted to not just like this, but LOVE it, but as it progressed the enthusiasm cloud gradually cleared to the point of my being utterly flabberghasted in disappointment- mostly because I can't believe the director of The Dark Knight and the masterpiece that is Inception was responsible for this movie. It's lazy and uninspired to the point of being offensive to everyone who's ever been not just a Batman fan, but a fan of non- intelligence-insulting movies.
1,120 out of 1,781 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Dark Knight Rises review which is tedious and overstretched and over-hyped and chaotic, matching the style of the movie
renemioch26 July 2012
Don't waste your money, The Dark Knight was terribly awesome, every scene in that film as stand alone is better than this film.

It was overcrowded with characters, half of whom don't really add to the story, while taking up valuable screen time of the main characters. It missed Batman, this was essentially a film about Bruce Wayne and his problems. The story isn't just about good versus evil (which worked great in The Dark knight and helps focus the film's plot) but wants to explore all kinds of societies problems such as the stock market, evil bankers ('I have my money under the mattress' ("you evil bankster") and Occupy. Rather then exploring these themes thoroughly it just touches them and then moves on forgetting all about it. Further more, the action is really, really weak! This is a big issue for me since I love action movies, maybe other people will not care as much. But the fighting scenes between Batman and Bane are laughable. Just hitting each other in slow motion, my god, the guy threatens to kill 12 million people but Batman adheres to his code?? It worked great in The Dark Knight, since the Joker was essentially creating chaos, not direct annihilation of a city, but in this film it is totally out of context. That scene where 300 cops run into a fortified position of bad guys armed with AK-47's? OH REALLY?! Where were Batman's gadgets? Not the overblown helicopter thing (my god what an inconspicuous piece of engineering) but the subtle stuff, the smoke, the batclaw, whatever. Just like 007 missing Q, it just doesn't work. They had to repeat some amazing turn with his bike twice in the film just to show something reasonable interesting in the way of action, in Avengers this would have been in the background, once. Blurred. The stadium scene. Mehh, seen it already seventy times in the trailer. Oh.. The film drags on for an amazing 165 minutes! They would have had a better film cutting it with 60 minutes. It would have helped them focus and cut unnecessary scenes (alot you say? Yes!).

But the biggest problems with this film is the random stuff that completely sucks:

• Openingscene: kidnap that doctor? OK. huh whats with the tube and the blood, ehm why do only Bane and that guy hang there after it crashes down when moments before there were like 6 bad guys in the plain on ropes? Huh oh never mind next scene!

• Why why WHY does Bane hate batman so much? It is insinuated for most of the movie that Batman killed his father, but in the end it shows Bane has no real connection to Batman what so ever? Strange..

• And that prison/dark pit, in which no sunlight ever shines? ITS LIT UP WITH THE SUN THE ENTIRE FILM!

• Why do they keep talking on ice where everybody who steps foot on it falls through and dies? Thanks for saving me, lets continue the talk over there where we won't DIE?

• Yeah let's kill the bad guy, not by batman but a support character, introduce the real villain, and kill her in a car crash 5 minutes later. And damnnnnn the acting in that scene deserves a razzie.

• Better love story than twilight!

• Yes Batman, everybody knows you are Bruce Wayne, you can start talking normal, saves you the cough the day after.

• Bane.. ? Like three people SAY Bane is amazing big etc. But as a viewer, you don't see it, you just don't feel the menace, nothing. Because Bane isn't AT ALL MENACING OR BIG OR SCARY!! His voice, what a failure. Born in the Darkness! .. 140 minutes later, oh no, he wasn't? Or was he? No matter, he's dead. Let's not mention him again in the rest of the film.

• Robin. Don't get me started. SAVE THE CITY! EXODUS! DRIVE A BUS WITH 15 CHILDREN TO THE BRIDGE AND FAIL IN GETTING THEM ACROSS HAHAHAHAHAHA!

• Lucius Fox was in this movie?

• Let's insinuate that Bane's goones are terrible and so committed and 'where does he get these guys?' Oh lets not explain that, lets move on to some surgeon in a prison in a foreign country, whos story we don't CARE ABOUT! AT ALL! PEETIME!

• Government does not negotiate with terrorists! Next scene, 'they made a deal!' Sigh

• Etc
309 out of 477 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dark Knight Rises – falls short of greatness
ammerender-singh20 July 2012
I came out with slight disappointment after watching DKR for I had huge expectations from Nolan after an exceptional TDK.

I am huge fan of first two installment of Batman Trilogy and I liked DKR. It's a good movie but it could have been much better.

So rather than discussing its merit, which are many, I am pointing out its shortcomings.

It's the weaker than other movies of trilogy and simple reason being it lacks strong characters. DKR is all about storytelling – just like Nolan's Inception but not as efficient. And in doing so it fails where Batman Begins and The Dark Knight had succeeded.

Batman Begins was all about fear, doubt, self-realization and redemption where Bruce Wayne discovers his destiny as Batman. BB had a story arc which set background for main characters – Batman/ Wayne, Ra's al Ghul, Gordon (to some extent) and most importantly Gothom City and hence set stage for a fitting climax.

The Dark Knight explores the theme of chaos, morality and belief effortlessly and establishes characters of Joker, Harvey Dent/Two Face, Rachel etc. so effortlessly that people choose to ignore even some major plot holes. Heath Ledger's interpretation of Joker was so mesmerizing that it single handily carried TDK to path of greatness/ critical acclaim.

But Dark Knight Rises is all about story telling – efficient but not exceptional. Bane, Miranda Tate, John Blake, Peter Folly (Deputy Commissioner), Selina Kyle – characters are introduced but never explored/ expanded - they just start working on their part - just like cogs in the wheel. They are not so much part of the story itself but just the agents which move the story forward.

Bane's character is dull and single dimensional and do not evoke any fear or awe. He's meticulous, intelligent and strong and this is established quickly in movie but after that he slumps into a just another movie villain. Taila / Miranda character is never fully explored. Even Wayne/Batman is devoid of any emotions in this one and he feels so sure of himself that I start wondering if it's the same Batman that I saw in first two installments. Only new character which had some shades was that of Selina Kyle and Anne Hathaway did justice to it. Add to that helplessness of Alfred portrayed superbly by Caine. Other actors are good but there's not much for them to do.

There's no dilemma,doubt, love, choices, moral battles, hope, even no chaos/fear- things which make characters and plot interesting ( at least for me) and which made Batman Begins and The Dark Knight really good movies. Even the theme of "Occupy Wallstreet" is very weak and at best it's closer to London riots with its loot and arsoning. There's even perfect order in Bane's revolution. Movie moves effortlessly from one plot to another and to climax that it become at times predictable.

But maybe Dark Knight Rises was supposed to be like that only and Nolan had too much to deal with in 2.5 hours. And maybe that's the main problem with DKR – too much is going on in the story that it seems crammed at times. And when there are too many characters and so many story arcs and it's tough to do justice to characters and story telling at the same time. And this is when you start looking for plot holes, slackness, predictability et al.

-----------------some spoilers-----------------------

Such as Bane's plan –cement/explosive, Wayne- Miranda's romance, Blake guessing Wayne's personality, Miranda-Talia twist, Batman doing Angels & Demons stunt,Batman's escape from death, Blake as Robin (LOL) and Alfred in last scene.

------------------spoilers end -------------------------

All movies have a style which depends on story and its story teller. And there' no point of comparing different styles, say that of Starwars, Godfather, Transformers or story tellers say Tarantino, Cameron etc. Whatever maybe the style, good movies play to its strengths – story/screenplay, characters, style, pace or all. Try to recall some good movies and think what you like the most.

Dark Knight Rises have a good story but lacks strong characters and relies Inception's style which incidentally differs from style of first two installments of Batman Trilogy.

And for me, soul of Nolan's Batman Series is its strong characters, their underlying emotions and a theme which is much deeper and meaningful than all fight, gadgetry and style. And this is where DKR fails.

472 out of 752 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nolan has outdone himself... again.
Greg Pryor18 July 2012
Christopher Nolan has outdone himself with this one. At 3.30 in the morning, I was tired. Just getting out of it, I've never been so awake.

Perhaps what set this film apart from his other films was that it had a genuine emotional heartbeat. I felt that this was a flaw of Nolan's other films - the vision of emotion was there, but it was hollow. In this I bought it. I felt it, hero and villain alike.

Christian Bale was typically brilliant as Batman, and I felt that Bruce Wayne was more heavily embraced in this final installment. Bale added emotional depth to the character - a plot point that I think went astray in The Dark Knight - picking up from the development made in Batman Begins.

Tom Hardy as Bane was quite simply, terrifying. No longer a dunderhead "enforcer", but one of the criminal masterminds behind "Gotham's Reckoning", coupled with a physical dominance strong enough to send shivers down your spine.

Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle defied my expectations. Hands up who was not entirely convinced that that girl from the Princess Diaries could handle an intensely physical role like Catwoman. But here I am, hugely impressed. She added immeasurably to the value of the film.

Marion Cotillard fulfilled the role of Miranda Tate admirably, though I suspect this was the most underdeveloped character of the film - though after watching, I can see why.

The unsung hero of The Dark Knight Rises is Michael Caine as Alfred. A heartfelt performance that helps drive the emotional content of the film, helping Nolan sell his most well-rounded film to date. Caine's performance in both presence and absence.

Special mention goes to Joseph Gordon Levitt, who is consistently proving himself to be a big player in the Hollywood game. His role as officer Blake felt like there could've been more, but it may just have come all a bit much. It was a great performance, and Levitt sunk his teeth into role.

If you can, go see this in IMAX. If any film was to sell the format to skeptics, The Dark Knight Rises would be IT. I'm happy Nolan stuck to his guns and shot in 2D. 3D would have been unnecessary.

I suppose at this point, I have to turn my focus on Nolan. If he ever reads this... aspiring filmmaker to filmmaker, I've never been so envious, jealous in all my life. It's a film that leaves me floundering, wondering what I could possibly do to get anywhere near this ballpark. Well done. I think an Oscar Nomination is in order.

From here, I'm not sure what to expect of the future. Does our imagination carry us forward, or do the studios? Time will tell.

1,392 out of 2,280 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Dark Knight doesn't Rise, he Sinks Like A Stone.
Zeke Pliskin8 November 2012
I'm starting to suspect there's some mass cultural delusion effect at work here, and in a few decades time people will come to realise that it is, in fact, just about as bad as a film can be and is easily the weakest of Nolan's Batman trilogy. Let's explore why.

1. Why is Marion Cotillard in this film? This is the wrong role for her. Her death sequence was a masterclass in bad acting. And if you didn't see the obvious twist that she was Talia after a whole movie of hanging around conspicuously it's time for a sight test.

2. That blonde Selina was hanging around with really heavily implied Catwoman was a lesbian, or bisexual if you count her shoehorned-in fleeting kisses with Bruce. Why?

3. The movie is filled with pointless characters. "Here's a new major or minor character, we'll stop the plot dead in it's tracks while they give dull exposition about their past and their motivations". This happened at least half a dozen times. In the case of Bane it would have been justified... if they had told his backstory all at once, not tediously dragged it out.

4. Why did a nuclear reactor core contain a red countdown clock? Did Lucius Fox know that it would be hijacked, and made life easier for the hijackers by letting them know when it would explode? More irritating is how characters in the film keep mentioning there's a bomb and saying how many days/hours remain, like they have forgotten.

5. There is no tangible sense of time, of scale, or of anything at stake. I was waiting for the movie to establish a sense of what really mattered. Would it create a real feeling of being in Gotham? It never did: it became more convoluted and confusing instead. I never got the feeling there were millions of lives at stake or that there was anything worth caring about.

6. The movie takes itself too seriously. It was a gloomy dirge of self-pity and heavy-handed, lazy commentary about current affairs, with that stupid pounding music score pulsing along underneath ratcheting up the tension because the writing couldn't.

7. Robin was written in so he could take on the mantle of Gotham's leading superhero at the end. The other things he did were things Jim Gordon could have done if the movie hadn't put him in a hospital bed. Getting rid of Robin would have also dispensed with the pointless subplot where he is trying to save a busload of orphans. I rolled my eyes at that one.

8. In other versions of Batman, Bane is huge because he's on a supersteroid called Venom. In Rises it is never really explained, despite the fact he was a tiny child when he escaped the well prison. His death sequence was also terrible; the film spends so much time building him up as some kind of badass Batman can't beat, then he dies with relative ease.

9. The sound mixing was terrible. Even characters that didn't have a stupid mask with batteries taped on the front (Bane) were, at times, very hard to hear. Considering how many millions were spent it really should have had reference quality surround sound audio.

10. Chris Nolan is not good at directing this type of picture. In all of the Nolan Batman films (including Batman Begins, which I like despite this problem) he doesn't seem to know how to direct scenes, whether they are action, quiet drama or a mix of both. Camera placement is all wrong. The "Bane and Batman slug it out on a rusty walkway" scene feels claustrophobic despite the fact it's supposed to be some kind of huge fighting pit. It might as well be taking place inside a vacuum.

11. Jim Gordon in his infinite wisdom stops what he thinks is the bomb truck with... a regular passenger coach, which would have broken apart under the weight.

12. Gary Oldman cannot hold his American accent for even one scene.

13. Batman is a plot device, not a character. It used to be something special when the cape and cowl were on. But the way Nolan has shot Batman here never made me feel he was the last bastion of justice in a corrupt city, powerful enough to keep criminals at bay with both his mind and his fists. He's one-dimensional and boring.

14. Despite the fact Alfred mentions how underprepared Bruce his, despite the fact Bruce's doctor tells him he has no knees, all he does is strap a bionic movement device to one of his legs and is suddenly sprightly enough to be Batman again.

15. Plenty of other problems the internet already covered.

CONCLUSION

There's no weight or levity to The Dark Knight Rises because characters and objects jump to where the poorly-constructed plot requires them to be, as if they were beamed there by a Star Trek transporter. The balance of the real and the exaggerated was just right in Batman Begins but in this one it bounces from set piece to boring drama scene and back again with no sense of cohesion, logic or grace. It's a complete mess.

On the other hand, maybe it is a great movie and I just can't see it. Or maybe when the cultural zeitgeist changes direction everyone not so close to it and not hyped up to breaking point will see it's not all that. Time will tell.

SUMMARY

1. It's everything that was bad about The Dark Knight ramped right up.

2. It's everything that was good about Batman Begins removed or neutered.

3. It wastes good actors and a pretty large budget.

4. It is joyless and illogical.

5. It is one of the worst films I have ever seen.

But it's not all bad: at least it wasn't available in 3D!
127 out of 193 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
General movie watchers opinion
Daniel Wayno29 July 2012
I honestly didn't like this movie very much, there were many things wrong with it that ruined the immersion and messed up something which could have been good.

#1 where is batman? for the most part batman is a no show it's not until the final parts of the movie that you even really get to see him fight.

#2 Can character development fail? I think this movie proved it can, many movies attribute failure to not accurately linking you to the characters having too limited development of the character, this movie is proof of the opposite in many scenes they spent far too much time focusing on Bruce Wayne. They did this to the extent of completely neglecting many other aspect of the movie, things that should have been delved into that weren't all because too much of the movie was focused on Wayne...

#3 The villain makes the movie. Bane was not a good villain, his voice was difficult to understand in a large number of scenes and sometimes the background noise would override him. He just seemed more like a thug then a mastermind, and lacked believability. The so called "real" villain had no real character development only back story which to me is not enough to make her important. Also anyone who was a lover of the batman comics or TV show was probably also disappointed by the complete lack of the venom used to give bane his strength.

#4 Music and sound effects make a movie right? There were many times during the movie where I found myself distracted by a completely inappropriate sound byte or music that didn't quite fit the scene.

#5 abandonment of sub characters is a good thing? the butler leaving Bruce, and the lack of the use of Morgan Freemans character to me detracted from the movie a lot.

#6 batmans voice... something was just wrong with it it sounded like i was listening to one of those cheap voice changers you get at walmart. Was it just me or was it done much better in movie one?

In summary, I have to honestly say that it seems as if the focus of this movie was on two actors not on two characters. I couldn't find myself feeling for Bruce, or Robin, they were just... badly overdeveloped characters that instead of making me feel sad for them I just didn't care... Batman had 8 years to prepare and get ready for bane yet he wallows in self pity and lets his whole life go to pot over a girl? I just don't believe it. Batman is the definition of self hurt turned into helping others every time batman sinks deeper into the well of despair he hurts criminals more not less. he over came both of his parents dieing and leaving him alone as a child I just could not see him giving up because a girlfriend dies no matter how over developed they made his character.

If you like to think about things in a movie, I think you will find that there are too many "distractions" in this movie to allow for proper immersion and enjoyment.
237 out of 372 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The god-awful third part of a good trilogy.
promin179226 July 2012
After seeing and liking the first and the second part of this trilogy, the third came off as a disappointment. There are only a few things that actually work in this movie - Hathaway an Levitt gave very nice performances, and were convincing despite of the ludicrously cliché lines they were given. Before seeing the movie, I presumed that (based on the reviews I had read) they had only minor roles, but the two of them guide the plot. Also some action sequences were well executed. But only a minority of them. The majority was illogical and confusing. In comparison with the second movie which I found to be, in its core ( even with the occasional shabby lines), an intelligent and elegant movie, this one lacks action. Of course that a movie shouldn't be judged by the amount of action, but in lack of it there must be a good storyline. This movie has none. Its plot is full of gaps, frustratingly illogical. One of the things that induced from me a great snore was the jail and childwhoescaped subplot. The idea of the jail is absurd. Whose prison is it, why are there no guards? Oh, I know it's inescapable... but please. Its location is outside of some ancient city walls, but very near it, and a modern complex is build only yards away (you can see it on the edge of the screen when Bruce escapes – but I will get to that). Bane (the Big Bad of the movie) escorted Bruce to the Asian jail himself, made all that way just to tell Bruce that he will torture his soul, and went back to Gotham, in the US, in the matter of hours. Why making that journey? It's impractical as hell. Furthermore, the man in prison, who are paid by Bane to keep Bruce alive (the man actually uttered the line – I'm paid more to keep you alive, when Bruce asked for death), are helping him fix his dislocated spine (no, it's not broken) and escape. Why? After a few tries, Bruce manages to climb the well and emerges on the surface. He throws some big, fat rope back in the pit. Where did that rope come from? Was it left outside just in case someone climbed to freedom so he can free all the other prisoners? Bruce himself had no rope – that was the whole point. Is the prisoners safety rope actually tied at the surface? If so, why no one climbed the rope itself? Hell, my brother with whom I watched the movie actually thought that he threw down the safety rope to make sure nobody else would escape. Then Bruce, with no money, no passport and no knowledge of the native language returns in the terrorist occupied and military guarded Gotham. He also, at the time, has no Batmobile, Batcopter or any other Bat-based vehicle. How did he get into the city? Fortunately, once in the city, he found his Bat-copter lying on the roof of a middle-height building, a huge thing covered only with a nett, and visible from air. With all the riots in the city, is it possible that nobody had stumbled upon it? Also, once in the Bat-copter, he encourages the not-long-ago buried police forces (who all have clean clothes and are clean-shaved after being underground for months) to attack the terrorists, but instead of helping them by shooting the enemy from air superiority, he lands the Bat-copter and seeks Bane for a fistfight. Is this not idiotic? The only action scene that was good was the one after the stock-market attack when Batman made a dashing escape. But, not even this scene can be compared with the ones from the second movie which were thrilling, masterfully directed and longer. They were also simpler, there was no atom bomb, there were just guns and explosives, but it worked better, it was more realistic, and darker. Unfortunately, what replaced action is load of parapsychology, the endlessly recycled story of the orphan Bruce, with many annoying flashbacks from previous films. You know the movie is not doing well when there are flashbacks involved. What got on my nerves a lot was also that all lectured Bruce, the man who sacrificed everything to help Gotham and do good. Alfred was particularly pathetic. Bane is truly a poorly done movie villain. The comic book character is said to have some intelligence. This was not present here. The opening scene, the delivery of the plan of doctor Pavel's abduction: Bane has executed a pointlessly expensive and complicated operation where he sacrificed unnecessarily three of his man, chopped up a plane and then used the already seen skyhook (The Dark Knight), when he easily could have attacked the plane on land. The romance between him and Coltirald's character is also redundant. His and Cotillard's background story could have been left unexplained. Even with it, both of them lack motivation. The rest of the movie Bane makes impressive entries. Actually a lot of the movie is about walking on the street, walking through the sewage, etc. And entering rooms. The romance between Bruce and Cotillard character was redundant and not probable (I accept this only if Bruce wanted a quick shag after a long time of drought). The explosion, beside the unnerving need of certain directors to explain in word what we understood in picture (someone actually had said Explosion! after we've have already seen the mushroom), was not realistic (no waves). But, as a whole, the movie is sufferable, just don't expect anything great. The thing I hated the most is that Batman is missing from this film. Bruce was more out of the suit, than in it. Seems to me that Nolan became a little bit too cocky with all the praise for the two previous movies. It's a shame because the movie could have been a lot better if he hadn't.
282 out of 447 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Unsung Hero
john smith21 March 2013
The Dark Knight Rises is the third and final installment in director Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy. The story takes places eight years after the events of the last film, eight years since Batman vanished into the night and assumed responsibility for the death of D.A. Harvey Dent in the hopes that it would benefit the greater good. But when a new villain threatens to destroy Gotham City and cannot be stopped by law enforcement alone, Bruce Wayne is forced to adorn the black armor once again.

The film introduces several new characters: John Blake (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), a young police officer whose loyalty lies in doing what is right and not blindly following his superiors. Selina Kyle (Anne Hathaway), a cat burglar working for Bane in hopes of obtaining a device that will erase a person's criminal history and giving her the chance to start a new life. Miranda Tate (Marion Cotillard), who encourages Bruce Wayne to rejoin the rest of the world and continue his father's philanthropic work. Loyal butler, Alfred (Sir Michael Caine), Commissioner of the Gotham Police, James Gordon (Gary Oldman) and genius inventor, Lucius Fox (Morgan Freeman), also make a return to help Bruce Wayne become the Dark Knight once more. A new villain also enters the fray that is just as intelligent, resourceful and a better combatant than Batman (even breaking Batman's back at one point, depicting a classic scene from the comic series) – Bane (Tom Hardy), a terrorist portraying himself as a liberator of the people.

Production staff really outdid themselves in making this film superb in every detail. In regards to the dramatic aspect, filming took place in several different cities across the world including New York, Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, London and Jodhpur. By amalgamating different cities, staff members helped to make his imagination of Gotham resemble the description of the city given in the comics. Costume specialists helped to give Bain the appearance of a lucha libre (masked wrestler), which coupled with his resourcefulness and intelligence helped to create the perfect villain.

The Dark Knight Rises takes place in an apocalyptic time with nuclear warfare threatening to destroy Gotham City. Cinematography experts helped to reinforce this doomsday ambiance by having Bane and his henchmen blow up all the bridges that lead out to the city, trapping the entire police force underground and unleashing the hooligans from the city jail in a scene that resembles the "Storming of the Bastille". The federal government also abandons Gotham, leaving the people of Gotham to fight the battle on their own. Even scenes that do not take place in the city show the helplessness of the times. When Bruce Wayne is imprisoned in foreign jail, Bane decides to "torture his soul" by having him watch the events unfold in Gotham on a television set while he is trapped in a virtually inescapable prison.

Director Christopher Nolan stated that this film would mark the end of his interpretation of the Batman trilogy. However, the end of the film leaves the viewer with a final surprise: John Blake's legal is revealed to be Robin John Blake, a reference to Batman's comic book sidekick, and inherits the Batcave after Batman's "demise". This leaves the possibility open to an additional installment in the Batman franchise, and with the critical and financial success of the series, it may be a smart move for Warner Brother's to make (copyright owner's to the series).

The film also leaves the viewers with a final message: a hero can be anyone. Whether it is placing a reassuring grasp on the shoulders friend, letting him know that things will get better, or helping a stranger on the side of the road who is having car troubles. Nolan's final episode is an earnest attempt to give a deserving end to a much-loved series. With cool gadgets, fast-paced chase and fight scenes, complex characters, and a story line that will keep you on the edge of your seat, fans of the Batman series will not be disappointed.
16 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
True Batman Fan's Worst Nightmare
dolemite199221 July 2012
I have no Idea what to even start with about what was wrong with this movie. Apart from the obvious Richard Nixon voice Batman has had in every movie of this trilogy, now we also have a villain we can barely understand .

They sit there and expect us to believe that with all the time Bruce Wayne spent training and all the time he spent with Ra's Al Ghul he doesn't even know who his daughter is who is very high up in the League?

Then they use the classic bomb going to blow up the city. The bomb that was built to be a fusion reactor. So why does it have a clear LED display of the time on it? And why after flying it in reality about 2 miles off the coast no one is hurt. There is no radiation. No title wave from the ocean. Just a cloud.

Then lets look at the spare Batmobiles that the enemies have. I find it really hard to believe that I could blow up a batmobile with only one missile yet his is pretty much indestructible.

Then when Bruce escapes prison he magically shows up in a town with only one bridge that is guarded by the military. There were so many aspects of the movie where things just happened. And we have no choice but to accept them.

The biggest problem of all though, Robin. Why the people in the movie I was in cheered when she said his name was Robin I'll never know. Let's see what the main parts they got wrong were. Obviously the name. His parents dying's back-story was nowhere near right. Robin was a trapeze artist not a detective. I don't know why people like this movie. Maybe because they are supposed to who knows. But if you are a true fan out there then you will most likely hate this film for the crap it is.

This movie didn't feel like a Batman movie to me. There was no gadgets, no detective work, no anything. Only thing that this movie taught me is that now I know for a fact. DC cannot do special effects and in the movie industry will always fall short to fans.
442 out of 713 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Batman was not present much.
M Whatever11 August 2012
1. This movie is almost 3 hours long. Out of this 3 hours Batman was sick and crippled 2 hours. He was in his batman suit and did his batman stuff 15 minutes.

2. I could not understand 80% of what Bane was saying.

3. There are A LOT of long, boring, brainwashing , cliché dialogs.

4. Gotham painfully reminded me of LA and NY. I mean really painfully.

5. Throughout the movie i had a feeling that i was watching some stupid piece of propaganda how wonderful all super rich people are and how dumb are the rest of us. That orphanage in Bruce's house almost made me puke.

Catwoman was rather enjoyable character.

This movie, or should i rather say this propaganda piece would appeal to a people with very low IQ and some really die hard Batman fans.
188 out of 294 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rip-off of Bond film 'The world is Enough'.come out of Mass hysteria of hype
James Bourne12 August 2012
i cant believe that some people are giving 10 rating for this pretentious,boring film.some are blinded by the hype and mass hysteria.even though they feel the movie boring,they are not willing to accept it.the guy who sat beside us in the theatre fell asleep halfway through the film and after the completion of film,he woke up and clapped.lol.all they want is part of batman patron and feel cool about it.coming to the film,its a rip-off of Bond film 'The World is not Enough'. In both films, the innocent woman is ultimately revealed to be the true mastermind/villain and the "monstrous villain" works for her out of devotion. Both are also willing to sacrifice themselves for love. Not to mention Bane was very much like Renard (villain from TWINE): a single named, intelligent anarchist terrorist with super strength due to a disorder, and we are led to believe throughout the bulk of both films that Bane and Renard are the masterminds behind the plot. Then there's Miranda Tate and Elektra King; beautiful,foreign businesswomen who deal in global energy.Both earn the trust of the hero (Bond/Wayne) while becoming romantically involved with them, though it's all a part of their plan to use the hero's company (MI6 and Wayne Enterprises) to her own ends. The plans are basically the same as well: steal reactor- nuclear material with the goal of nuking an entire city (Gotham and Istanbul). Another leading lady who is foxy at first and helps the hero later.character Q - Lucius fox with gadgets,M - alfred.Just added the holy drama stuff like depressed,burdened,not so-heroic Batman and hope for the city blah..blah.the icy post-apocalyptic,anarchy episodes are boring.there are many plot-holes and logicless scenes like taking a big city as hostage for months
153 out of 237 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A fulfilling end to a legendary trilogy!
Akshit Markan18 July 2012
As this movie was the most awaited movie of the decade, I obviously wanted to watch it as soon as possible. My friend won some contest online and so, I got to watch it a few days earlier FOR FREE.

The movie is everything you want it to be. The story is very well told and there is enough of Nolan-kind twists. Tom Hardy has some powerful lines as Bane but the enhanced voice doesn't work at all. But, he still does his character justice and performs to his full potential. For the first time in the trilogy, Batman wasn't the strongest. This gave a chance to Christian Bale to show off his acting skills without the mask and he did a fine job. The veterans Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine went about their job as if it was just another day at the office. But, a major surprise was Joseph Gordon-Levitt who portrays an ordinary police officer and pulls of an unexpectedly awesome performance.

The special effects, sound and action were out of the world. Nolan spent a lot of money and he made it visible in the movie. The movie connects all the dots from the previous movies and provides a fitting end to the saga. Although, personally I liked The Dark Knight better. But, TDKR certainly came very close it.

Finally, I would like to thank Christopher Nolan for portraying Batman in a way no one ever thought was possible and for making one the best trilogy of all time.
809 out of 1,338 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A bitter disappointment and awful ending to a brilliant trilogy.
IMDbUser9322 July 2012
The movie was so boring and lengthy that I considered to leave the cinema. The script was predictable at some points and the acting was so poor amongst some of the actors. Anne Hathaway was horrible, she was not convincing at all and her outfit looked like a cheap Halloween costume. Bane, the main villain of this movie was killed in a split second and everything was forgotten about him, that's it. It's like the script writers wanted this movie to end quickly as possible at this point. The actor playing Miranda who appears to be Ra's Al Ghul's daughter Talia should get the award for worst death presentation, it was some of the worst acting I have ever seen, you can tell that she is acting. It's like she is taking a nap for crying out loud. Blake who appears to be Robin gets access to the Batman cave and all the high tech stuff that is in there, but he didn't receive any training at all so he wouldn't know how to use it. Robin is just an ordinary cop in this movie with no combat skills, yet Bruce Wayne gives away the cave to him and settles down with the supposed Catwoman.
251 out of 402 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wait !! There must something wrong with me !!
benei_elohim7 August 2012
That was the exact sentiment I had after watching TDKR. I had been waiting for this movie ever since the first teaser trailer was released. To cut the long and short, I am writing down some first hand reactions I had while watching the movie and the reason I felt that there must be something wrong with me.

1. The great Bane introduction - I failed to see any character development for this character except for towering persona of Mr. Hardy. Well for that matter, it could have been Mr. Dwayne Johnson under the mask. Back to the character, what made Bane, a mercenary, so awe- inspiring that others were ready to die for his words ? Who/what made him an ideologue ? ( especially with the predictable twist at the end )

2. Our old friend Bruce Wayne - While his limp was rectified by some funky exo-skeleton apparatus, why was his character such a limp all throughout the 3 hours? 1. Letting a girl steal his precious stuff from right in front of his eyes 2. Wallowing over a dead girlfriend 3. Getting cheated by the same gal and getting beaten to pulp by his arch- enemy. 4. Same gal doing the disappearing act before Batman, for him only to manage a cheesy remark " Now I know how it feels". Really Mr. Batman is that all you can come up with ?? 5. Sleeping with you dead arch-enemy's daughter? Woww ..Mr. Nolan might call TDKR having the theme "Pain", I thought it resounded "Loser" better.

3. Butler-Wayne Bro-mance - Everything seen and understood about the importance of Alfred in Mr. Wayne's life. But still I failed to see the entire melodrama of Alfred leaving his master, that too at the opportune moment of Mr. Wayne on the verge of losing everything.

4. Everything about Batman has been related to darkness. For me he is a person of the shadows. An ominous dark foreboding demeanor along his incessant internal struggles with his dark demons, everything pointed to a flawed yet enigmatic character that is Batman. I saw the darkness being stolen away from the dark knight. Beats me if I am the only person who saw it

5. The fusion reactor/bomb - Isn't that what it boils down to ? Each time ?

6. Catwoman - In the Matrix movie, in the famous sub-way scene,a program tells Neo about "Karma" and the "purpose of existence". It further added, programs without a purpose were being deleted. Selina a.k.a Catwoman was such a program in the movie. There was no reason, no purpose and no rationale for her existence within the movie, except for being a side kick.

7. To cut it short, one word for some important scenes - the whole autopilot episode on the bat plane - Cheesy, The end of movie twist - Utterly cheesy, reason for Bane's mask - hilarious, the well-prison break scene - cliché,Blake or Gordon - One was definitely redundant, references to the Charles Dickens novel - superfluous, music - jarring and the movie ending - totally disappointing !!!
87 out of 132 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awful plot. People in this movie are sheep without character
Srikanth Raju21 July 2012
I don't get what all the 10's are about. I don't see how this movie is a 10, or rather even an 8. There are so many plot holes, the characters are so one dimensional, action sequences OK at best.

Where do I even begin. Banes voice. I admit, I didn't get what he was saying more than half the time, and even then I had to strain really hard. It was just awful. There were jokes about not understanding Bales growling, but this, this is something else. The movie would have been better without him talking.

Catwoman! Suddenly she feels remorse and becomes goody goody at the end, Oh the lord, this was about as predictable as rain in Seattle(very, if you're unsure).

Talia, what a big face-palm. Might as well have made a movie when the Batman woke up from a dream at that point. Can the plot get ANY more clichéd? Thanks for popping up the MAIN criminal at the end of the movie, who apparently had the hots for Batman.

Batman, his screen time is mostly groaning and screaming and getting beaten around in boxing by Bane. He becomes a superior fighter by jumping across the ledge? I think that's not how the body works. There isn't any Batman stuff at all. Just punching and kicking. Muhammad Ali would have been a better hero to fit that role (Yay, incoming dislikes from people who don't know who that is). Also, big copter no one can find, yea right.

Sheep followers wanting to get blown up. Ya, because getting evaporated by a nuclear bomb is so awesome that every "mercenary" wants to do it. Oh, but they didn't know that they'd be blown up.

All policemen going underground like a herd of cows because they want to scout out the underground operations and therefore getting caught. Sigh.

Big fight scenes. Police officers don't walk in formation with guns against a bunch of mercenaries on higher ground and they all don't start shooting at point blank range. No. That's not how police work. Or any modern force with guns. That ONLY works in Lord of the Rings, because they had SWORDS! Who wrote this script?

The other batman movies were good. The first one was great. The second was good too. This one is ridiculous. I don't know how people can be so blind to so many obvious flaws. Even with that, the best moments in this film are...unimpressive. Did I go into the theater with high hopes. Not at all. I expected average, I was disappointed to not find even that.

Will be ever get another Prestige from these guys? I hope so.
1,190 out of 2,021 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Film of 2012, so far!
Grey Gardens16 July 2012
I had the honor of watching TDKR during a screening and was completely blown away! Christopher Nolan's third film in his Batman trilogy doesn't disappoint. The movie is incredibly well made, its huge production is quite breathtaking to view. This is a true cinematic experience, to behold. The movie exceeded my expectations in terms of action, and entertainment. The movie's score high-lites many of its incredible scenes, and at times, it takes your breath away.

The film featured excellent performances, by all the cast. Christian Bale, as always is great as Batman. Anne Hathaway was completely engrossing, she became "Catwoman", just like Michele Pfeiffer did, although their interpretations were very different, both were equally effective. Tom Hardy was the main villain "Bane" completely shattered my expectations. One of the best superhero movie villains, I've ever seen. The terror caused by him, is completely believable and quite menacing. Marlion Cotilliard, Michael Cane, Gary Oldman, and others all did well in their respective roles. Now I know most will miss Heath Ledger as the Joker.(I know I do) I hope people don't compare Tom Hardy's performance to Heath Ledger's, its completely unfair and the two characters are very different. Just read the comics.

The colossal size of the film is a spectacle to behold, but surprisingly you don't get lost with all the explosions and extravagant action scenes, like in other films,(AKA Transformers, or POTC.) If one were to gripe, and I suppose there will never be a film made that one cannot find a point at which to grip, it is painfully long running time here. I found myself more worried about the pain in my posterior than the emotional final minutes after almost 3 hours that I had spent in a cramped seat, but that's just how I am. However the ending is just fantastic, so emotional and bring the trilogy to a very satisfying end.

Sorry if I'm being all fan-boyish and kissing this movie's behind, but I really admire it. It may not be among my personal favorites but generally this seems to be the movie event of this year. As a film though, this is amazing. A true lasting legacy in superhero story telling and summer-blockbusters.
1,208 out of 2,074 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
3 Areas of Disappointment
DAVID KIM24 July 2012
My areas of disappointment : 1) Bane, 2) the threat on the city (nuclear), and 3) the Mr. Nolan's surprising lack of storytelling and bleak cinematic visual (even though he seemingly had the best filming tools to deliver so.).

1) I only wished the Mr. Nolan did not abruptly reduce his newest villain, Bane, to something so insignificant and small. The menacing, intelligent, "brute force" was indeed a towering figure throughout the movie until he presents himself as secondary towards the end of the trilogy.

2) And the threat on Gotham City, a nuclear one, was surprisingly unoriginal considering how innovative the poisonous vapor threat was in "Batman Begins" or how chaos forced the protagonists of Gotham to make extremely troubling decisions in "The Dark Knight."

3) Something breathtaking was so suppose to happen in either the plot or in the IMAX grandeur. However, Mr. Nolan surprisingly failed to deliver in both areas. Mr. Nolan did not make us hold our breath like he did in the "Dark Knight" nor did he captivate our focus with his playful plots and mind bending cinematic visuals as he did in "Inception." In other words, I could not help but looking back at his past films while watching the "TDKR."

There were a few other things that caught my immediate, negative attention. But who cares. It is really over now. This was how Mr. Nolan decided to end this truly life defining story. With that said, I am simply stunned and truly hurt that the trilogy had to end . . . like this.

– davidwoongkim, Seoul
571 out of 964 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible movie!
rodrigoazure9 August 2012
The characters are void of purpose most of the movie; terrible explanation of why and who are the "people" raising against the status quo; fighting scenes that are worst than Chinese B movies (knocking a guy out with a box is not acceptable anymore, or a dozen armed men choosing to wait those extra seconds just enough to fail and then trowing punches at the bat instead of using the guns in the first place), the whole bruce wayne goes to "hell on earth" prison that ends up to be a hole with a bunch of old farts where all he does are some sit-ups... come on, it's just plane wrong. But the piece de resistance is when the bat tops the line "a hero can just be the guy who puts a coat over a children's shoulders and let's him know the world is yadadada...". I mean, after the dark knight with Ledger, pfffff, this is simply WRONG! Oh, and the end... why make a whole plan to get the bomb to a designated place with all the work involved if all you needed to do was grab a cable and lift it to the sea? I mean, this movie is right there along Charlie's angels and stuff like that. Where's the power punch of the first two? This sucks! Big time!
135 out of 216 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Batman calling, Mr. Nolan. Why so serious? He's suing you for libel.
lillolablue14 August 2012
In order that this review doesn't sound like it came from the Department of Redundancy Department, I will try not to cover the same ground as my predecessors in declaring that the Emperor has no clothes. Rather, I will try and discuss the little things that made this a big, bad film.

Let me also say I am not a worshipper of Mr. Nolan, nor am I a staunch detractor of his. The Prestige is one of the best and most original films I have ever seen. I enjoyed Memento, and also Batman Begins.

I was not a fan of Inception, and my feelings on The Dark Knight are mixed. I very much enjoyed Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker, and the way the Joker's character was written. I thought the Joker's monologue in the hospital when he explained to Harvey Dent that the hokey pokey IS what it's all about was nothing short of brilliant.

I did not come to The Dark Knight Rises ready to hate it, or love it. I watched the film, objectively, and I saw it a second time from a better seat in a different theater, just to make sure I wasn't being unfair.

Nope.

Sorry Mr. Nolan, sir.

Your movie sucks.

Why? Because, as the Joker might remind us, the Devil is in the details.

Details, details, details, it is the little things that the mind notices. Some of us laugh and call "BS" when John Wayne gets eleven shots out of a six-shooter, but we believe it when Clint Eastwood or Bruce Willis never have to reload, because they swear and they have dirt and blood on their costumes and faces.

For example, the matter of Bruce Wayne's fingerprints.

Mr. Wayne is not only Batman, he is also a billionaire businessman. Surely, he would be a bit more, oh, perturbed that his fingerprints have been stolen. Let's be serious. If you found out that your fingerprints, or something else intimately connected to you, like your SSN or your signature had been stolen, wouldn't you be thinking about the possibility of identity theft? Wouldn't you be in a cold sweat that someone was going to use those fingerprints to perform a total cashectomy on you? Well, Bruce Wayne isn't. He's pretty cavalier about the whole thing. Ah, well, so somebody wants to steal my identity. Or my money. It's not like I'm a billionaire or I have a secret identity or anything.

Wait.

ALFRED! Ah, yes, but Alfred's not coming, Master Bruce. You see, he's so worried about you being completely unhinged, and unready to get back in the Bat-tights, and the possibility that you might be killed that he's just going to take it on his toes and leave you to your own devices when you're at your weakest point and you need him the most.

Hurm.

And then we have the matter of Miranda/Talia. Here I am thinking Tony Stark's the superhero who'll screw just about any interesting chick who's willing and available, but, well, Bruce has been having a bad month, we'll cut him some slack.

Except Tony has staff members who do background checks on his playmates, and staff who dismiss them when he's through playing.

With a few bucks and a non-disclosure statement, most likely.

You would think that before Bruce Wayne wagered HALF his assets on a business partnership with Miranda, he would have used his state-of-the-art, info-the-KGB-CIA-MI5-doesn't have supercomputer to do a thorough background check.

He is the goddamn Batman, after all.

Well, he didn't. Not did he do any research on her before they got involved, kind of out of the clear blue sky.

But he didn't find her sudden romantic interest fishy, and hey, she seemed like a nice girl, why not pass up Alfred, or Lucius Fox and just let her have the whole shebang.

And then, after we discover How Bruce Got His Groove Back, he decides to buy some pastel shirts and abscond to the continent, leaving Gotham, and the Batman legacy in the hands of some cop named Robin (groan) with another very nice girl who has shown him that she's a liar and a thief who probably doesn't have his best interests at heart.

Here's to you, Alfred. Sorry you're broke. Good luck with all those orphans and none of my money, relying on the city to keep you funded.

Burn the furniture in the rooms you're not using for heat if they cut you off for a few years. Get the boys some paper routes.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go return some videotapes.

Hurm, I say again, because this person doesn't sound like any Bruce Wayne I've ever encountered, in any of his many incarnations.

I mean, Adam West was a lot more on the ball in the old TV show. And if this is Bruce Wayne as an, ahem, realistic character? Realistically, this self-pitying, egocentric, blundering half-wit wouldn't have ever made it out of that Asian prison in the first movie.

Riddle me this? When is Bruce Wayne not Batman? In this film. Because there is no Devil in these details, indeed, if you are looking for The Dark Knight in Bruce Wayne as portrayed in this film, there is no-one there at all.
119 out of 191 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.