The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 50 items
|MPAA||Rated PG-13 for intense sequences of violence and action, some sensuality and language|
Sex & Nudity
- Bruce and Miranda are seen in bed no nudity (sex is implied)
Violence & Gore
- 3 guys are hanging off a crane
- Several thugs lower themselves on cables from a large airplane to a smaller one in mid-air; gunfire erupts for an extended period and soldiers die with bloodied faces and chests and the thugs break and cut the smaller plane into pieces until nothing is left.
- Bane takes over a city with his band of armed thugs, shooting many people with automatic weapons; several scenes include dead bodies in the streets (little blood).
- Bane breaks the necks of several people (the bodies drop dead).
- Bane steals army tanks and uses them against the police and citizens, killing many people (bloody wounds are on the faces and chests of bodies lying in the street).
- Thugs hold a man down and drain some blood from his body into an unconscious one using a needle and tubing.
- Thugs shoot up the stock exchange, kill several men and women and tie hostages on motorcycles. Some hostages are freed or rescued. Many police cruisers give chase and are stopped by a large truck pulled across a road.
- Men are shown hanging by the neck from a bridge in the distance.
- Catwoman fights off men in groups of 2 to 6 throughout the film with martial arts techniques: a few times, she points a handgun at the head of one of the men and shoots a few others in the head; she rides a huge motorcycle, shoots thugs pursuing her in tanks and SUVs (a little blood), and launches a missile to blow up a stack of crushed cars blocking a subway tunnel.
- Several kidnappings occur, with pistol whippings that leave men with bloody foreheads and scars.
- Men are dragged away through the streets, shot and killed (some bloody chests).
- Bruce is told that he is missing all cartilage from both knees and elbows and we see scars over his kidneys and other damage.
- Several violent and long fistfights occur between Batman and Bane (both are injured, but little blood is shown); we hear grunts and shouts.
- A police officer fights off and shoots dead two armed attackers.
- Gordon is found in a room by Blake, having shot two armed attackers, the gun shots having been heard.
- Thugs blow up sewers and subway tunnels with hand grenades and bombs that explode in smoke and fire; at one point, the entire city is filled with the dust from falling concrete, fire, smoke and falling buildings, reminiscent of the 9/11 tragedy.
- Several scenes include rushing waters in a wide sewer system, with two bodies floating in the water.
- Dead bodies with blood on their heads lie in a hospital corridor as SWAT team members run through carrying rifles.
- Selina stands beside a large archery target as a huge arrow strikes the bull's eye and she screams.
- Selina somersaults backward out a second-story window to escape capture as a jewel thief and lands on her feet.
- Bruce is shown falling from a tunnel wall on a number of occasions and is saved by a guide rope tied around his waist.
- This film is not graphically violent (the camera usually cuts away quickly when someone is injured and we see very little blood), but the fighting and beatings are strong and can upset some people.
- An angry man yells at a woman. "You took my wallet! You fff....... you took my wallet!" (It is implied he was about to say the f word, but it is not heard at all.)
- Sons of bitches is yelled very loud.
- 1 use of dickhead
- 1 use of shit by Catwoman
- Obscenities include 1 use of "god damn," 2 uses of "bitch," 8 uses of "hell," 2 uses of "damn," 1 use of "bastard," and 1 use of "balls," as well as some uses of "Jesus Christ"
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- A cocktail party shows glasses of wine on tables, a man drinks from a glass of whiskey, a man drinks from a glass of wine, and a man in an outdoor café drink a glass of sherry.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- Bane is very dominant and aggressive.
- Bane's incredibly violent behavior is incredibly disturbing and occasionally shocking. His distorted voice is eerie and his mask can be frightening. Unlike "The Dark Knight's" Joker, Bane is less creepy and more menacing.
- This film is very dark and contains the look and tone of a doomsday movie, with several hostage situations, intense depictions of terrorism and anarchy, and the complete absence of law and order. This is especially true of the fact that this film takes 8 years after the Joker's plot of taking over Gotham City finally coming to fruition.
- Scenes set within a foreign prison can be disturbing as there are moments of violence and screaming.
Violence & Gore
- Dr. Pavel is taken hostage and forced to work on a nuclear core, but is later killed by Bane when he breaks his neck
- Catwoman crashes a motorcycle through a commercial building and launches a missile that slams Bane into a wall in the background, killing him in a cloud of smoke and debris
- A truck crashes, killing Miranda/Talia inside (no blood appears, mild scars)
- Thugs drag rich people from their homes and take them to a commercial building where they are sentenced to death; they are forced at gunpoint to walk onto a frozen river.Stryver is shown falling through the ice into the river, presumably drowning
- Thugs trap 3,000 uniformed police in a subway tunnel by barricading it with a wall of crushed cars; one officer comes out of a manhole at night and is shot dead (no blood) and Blake is knocked down an embankment, and a helicopter fires guns at thugs to scare them off.
- A thousand police officers and a hundred thugs armed with high-tech tanks and rifles fight in the streets: gunfire and grenade explosions are loud and long; many police officers die and a few thugs die, all with a little blood on their faces and chests. A close up is shown of Foley's dead body
- Batman punches Bane in the face, breaking his mask; he gasps until Miranda/Talia stabs Batman in the side and fixes the Bane's mask. Bane then places a cord around the Batman's neck (his efforts to harm the second man are foiled).
- Batman is abducted after an extended fistfight and he wakes up with a broken back and bloody face in a filthy foreign prison: two inmates help by hanging him in a harness and striking his vertebrae into place as he screams, he hallucinates about Ra's Al Ghul from his past reaching out to him, awakens, shouts and climbs out of the harness; he stumbles, he learns to walk again and escapes from the prison after falling from a climbing wall twice.
- Gordon lies in a hospital bed with several tubes and wires extending from his body and attached to machines; he gasps and eventually recovers from beatings that left his face bloody and his chest and shoulder red with blood.
- Explosions level portions of a city, including bridges and streets: cars fall into sinkholes left by the bombs, and at a professional football game, the field collapses, swallowing players, as well as intentionally blowing up the box seat where several people, including the mayor, are standing (no injured people are shown during any of these scenes).
- Blake steps onto a bridge and orders uniformed officers to stand down and let a school bus pass; the officers shoot at his feet and blow out a portion of the bridge, throwing him (he's dirtied but unhurt), and he gets up and tells kids to get onto the bus, but another man says a nuclear bomb ensures there is nowhere to go.
- Bane wears an elaborate breathing mask that reduces the pain he suffers from injuries caused by prison beatings, which is shown several times in a flashback (at one point during one of these flashbacks his face is bloodied and he is seated with a bloody scarf wrapped around his face several times, revealing only his eyes).
- A nuclear bomb is carried by helicopter out into the ocean, the bomb explodes and it appears that Batman dies in a mushroom cloud. He is later shown alive, however.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- At a certain point, all hope seems lost, with Gotham in anarchy ruled by Bane, a nuclear bomb going to explode, and Batman trapped in a prison somewhere in Africa (near Morocco).
- A scene shows Gotham being destroyed (large-scale destruction is shown in great detail), which may be very disturbing.
- Bane is powerful and kills constantly by breaking his victim's necks throughout the film, and his voice and appearance are frightening (a scene in which he breaks Batman's back is particularly disturbing).
- A series of scenes at the end of the film is emotionally intense and riveting: Batman uses an aircraft to carry a bomb outside Gotham's borders where it explodes in a massive mushroom cloud and we assume that he is dead; Alfred is then shown standing at his grave crying, but we later him alive and well at the very end of the film in reference to an earlier scene.