The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (2009) Poster

Exciting recapitulation of the Millennium trilogy
denglidendekop17 November 2009
Perspective: I am 25, Danish (thus understanding Swedish) and have not read the books.

The final movie covering Stieg Larssons Millennium trilogy ties all the pieces together and explains the deeper reasons for Lisbeth Salanders unreasonable treatment by society.

Compared to its predecessors, I found the first movie highly gripping for its unique roughness and interesting characters, while the sequel didn't really catch me due to a plain storyline and little creativity. This movie however is back on track, keeping a good pace of events and complexity.

If you have already followed Salander and Blomkvist during the previous books/movies, you will surely enjoy watching how the conspiracy is being unraveled through intense investigations and court trials. You will experience how the opposition crumble beneath Salander and Blomkvists combined efforts at exposing and confronting the deeper reasons for Salanders struggles, and how they piece the puzzle together to clear her name and taking down the shady factions of society.

The movie has a nice level of well thought out detail, but also a several logical breaches. You leave the cinema with a feeling of wanting to know much more about how the initial conspiracy evolved and how parts of the investigation (not involving the key characters) is carried out. This is likely due to the dept of Stieg Larssons books, being impossible to portrait in just 150 swift minutes. This may eventually be a teaser lurking me into reading the books.
128 out of 153 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gripping, engrossing and tense.
lukeritus28 November 2012
The final instalment in the series and, I have to say it was worth the wait, I watched the two previous instalments and was left with excitement and anticipation for the third. This final instalment did not disappoint it had me gripped from beginning to end with some real tense scenes and excellent dialogue between the characters, interspersed with scenes of chilling realism and tense action. This film sums up for me what Hollywood has lacked for......well years, in that special effects and action sequences although entertaining (barely) do not work unless they actually have a story that is both engrossing and also contains actors that grab you and bring you into the film. Anyway before I get on a rant this film and the whole trilogy are worth watching and I can't recommend them enough.
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Final half of the second story
siderite26 June 2010
I will not call this a third part in the Millennium series, since it starts exactly where The Girl Who Played with Fire left off and continues with the same story. However, if the first film was a classic mystery thriller and the second film was more of an action thriller, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest goes in the direction of a political thriller. Spies, government agencies, covert operations, etc. It successfully explains things and closes all avenues opened by the first two films.

I have to say that I felt the movie both unreal and gratifying. Trained with US films about shadow agencies that kill anyone stand in their way, I found the Swedish counterparts meek and overly cautious. But what version is the more realistic one, I have no idea. So, yes, it felt strangely different from American thrillers, but it also made sense. Clearly it has a refreshing point of view on the matter.

Bottom line: I guess there is little purpose in watching this film and not watch the other two preceding it in the trilogy. And since you liked the other two, you should see this one as well. I enjoyed it, it explained everything that was left unexplained and everybody got their share. Of course, there is still room for another Micke and Lisbeth story, but clearly with a new plot.
56 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ignore the critics, the movie rocks!
Hellmant21 November 2010
'THE GIRL WHO KICKED THE HORNET'S NEST': Four and a Half Stars (Out of Five)

The third part in the wildly popular Swedish crime series the 'Millennium Trilogy' (following 'THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO' and 'THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE', both released earlier this year in America and last year in Sweden and other parts of the world.) based on the successful books by the late Stieg Larson (who died in 2004 before the first book was published in 2005). The films are so successful that they're already being remade in America, the first of which is to be directed by David Fincher and star Rooney Mara and Daniel Craig. This final chapter is adapted by Ulf Ryberg and directed by Daniel Alfredson, who also directed the second installment (the original was directed by Niels Arden Oplev). The title has been changed from it's original Swedish title of 'The Air Castle That Blew Up' for American audiences, like the original's title was changed from 'Men Who Hate Women'. The film once again stars the beautiful and stunning Noomi Rapace as Lisbeth Salander (the title role) and Michael Nyqvist as Mikael Blomkvist.

As the movie opens Lisbeth is being taken to a hospital for urgent care due to being shot multiple times, including a head shot, by her father at the climax of the second film. The police are awaiting her recovery so they can arrest her and charge her with the attempted murder of her father, who she struck in the head with an ax in self defense. Her freakish, abnormally strong half brother (once again played by Micke Spreitz) is also waiting to finish the job he and his father started of killing Lisbeth. It's up to her journalist friend Mikael and his Millennium magazine co-workers to clear her name and bring the conspirators against her to justice. The people out to silence Lisbeth are very powerful though and Mikael and his team soon find themselves in grave danger as well.

The film has received only mediocre reviews from critics, with many calling it a boring disappointment, but the fans so far mostly think otherwise. The packed 'Darkside Cinema' viewing I attended appeared to love it, with many cheering the film throughout and applauding the ending. I found the film to be much more entertaining and involving than reviews had lead me to believe and thought it was a very satisfactory conclusion to a great trilogy. While it doesn't quite live up to the classic original it is better than the second chapter, despite a decrease in action and violence. It's suspenseful as well as emotionally drenching and full of crowd pleasing moments. The court room drama that fills the third act is extremely captivating and emotionally involving. The directing and cinematography are superb as well as the thrilling score (once again composed by Jacob Groth). The acting is all stellar as well, especially Rapace who once again steals the show (with a character soon to become iconic). It's a well made and satisfying conclusion to an outstanding trilogy that should please almost any fan, despite what critics say.

Watch our review show 'MOVIE TALK' at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffxjYiwLUko
48 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great ending, but I don't want it to end
MusicaEternal11 April 2010
The final film in the Millennium Trilogy and what a great film is it, right up there with it's precursors.

We learn even more about Lisbeth's, hidden organisations, and how everything is linked. The pieces of the puzzle come together, and I felt the film explained almost everything pretty cleverly, though this does involve some concentration from the viewer, because some of the links are not emphasised that well and maybe can be missed.

This is more similar to the first one, in the style of directing and also the ruthless reporting is back. Less action than the first, but no less enthralling for it. There is a lot of tension in this movie, and it made for compulsive viewing.

These three films have turned me more onto more modern Swedish Cinema. I was always a fan of Bergman and I have seen a few movies over the last few years from there, but this makes me want to keep a closer eye on the Swedish Film Making Industry. Great success guys, I look forward to seeing much more cinema from Sweden. Now I will read the books.

9/10 Excellent
79 out of 108 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great ending to this trilogy
DaveGu17 December 2010
Just back from seeing Hornet's - I guess there's only one hornet in the - Nest. Great conclusion to a trilogy of well done movies. I was glued to my seat at the theater, and not by gummy bears. While the movie was long, I didn't notice. I was captivated by the story and will say that the other two must be seen before this one.

The books have been wildly popular. Wish the movies were more widely distributed so others could enjoy them as much as I did.

Thumbs up to the Swedish film makers. Thumbs up to the cast, especially Noomi. Simply great work.

Highly recommended. 9/10
16 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best of the bunch!
macktan89414 November 2010
After watching Hornet's Nest, you'll want to go back to Dragon Tattoo and experience all three films again in sequence. Like coming to the end of an exceptional book, you'll hope for more, surely another way to eke out a Lisbeth Salander film to enjoy. She has become with this trilogy one of the strongest female characters in 21st century film. No wonder actresses were battling to play her--she is the equivalent to Jason Bourne in any regard. (I can't imagine Hollywood doing a better job of these films--can you?)

I believe Hornet's Nest is best of the bunch. Salander is cornered, in hospital and under arrest, in danger of being recommitted to the institution that held her under guardianship. Despite her uncommunicative nature, Salander has friends, true friends who'll stick their necks out to protect her. But Salander is always willing to fight for herself, and she finds ways to do battle.

Hornet's Nest gives us a better film than the other in terms of suspense and dramatic flow. The pieces assemble, the foes are distinguished from the good guys, there is conflict and threat launched in surprising ways. Of the three, Hornet's Nest is the most suspenseful and best executed of the films in my opinion, a superb finish to a wonderful series.

Excuse me while I start reading the books.
37 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
the final section of the trilogy
blanche-217 June 2013
"The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" ends the Millennium Trilogy from Swedish television.

Taking up where the second chapter left off, Lisbeth Salandar (Noomi Rapace) is in the hospital, recovering from her wounds. She's also under arrest. Her father, Alexander Zalachenko, survived and is in the same hospital. There is a move afoot to charge her with attempted murder but also to have her committed to a mental institution again.

Mikael Blomkvist (Michael Nyqvist) is devoting a special issue of Millennium to getting justice for Lisbeth. He soon learns that the people behind attempting to silence Lisbeth will stop at nothing to achieve their goal. Mikael and Lisbeth work separately again to clear her name and keep her from being either imprisoned or committed.

Good ending to this trilogy, as it wraps up the story very nicely. Rapace's magnificent presence and total immersion into the role again dominates, with Nyqvist also excellent as Blomkvist, demonstrating his quiet determination to help Lisbeth.

Despite the pervasive dark atmosphere (which the story demands) and some really major violence in the first episode, which is not my thing, I really am very glad I watched the Swedish version of this trilogy and do not plan on viewing the American version. In fact, I'm not even sure why they're making it, except that no one in Hollywood is interested in doing anything original. The Swedish "The Girl" trio will be hard to beat.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved It!
rossdisco26 November 2010
I would never normally write reviews, however after being disgusted by the unbelievable 6.7/10 I had to comment.

For the fact that there is rarely a trilogy of such merit, and yes we can all name the few that come to mind, that in itself deserves credit.

The finale was definitely the highlight, with all loose ends tied and also so satisfactorily lacking the Hollywood ending that we've all known to come and hate, I couldn't have enjoyed it more.

The only things that upsets me now is I might not be strong enough to avoid curiosity and peek at the Hollywood attempt. Though rest assured my curiosity will be spent within the opening sequences I am sure.

The great thing about this trilogy is that I have watched it on my own and now have the excuse to watch again with friends! Enjoy.
33 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Best of the Three POSSIBLE SPOILERS
gelman@attglobal.net17 February 2011
Contrary to some of the other reviewers, I thought "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" to be the best of the three films in the Millennium series. Why? Because it sustains the suspense inherent in the plot from beginning to end. And it brings the trilogy to a satisfying conclusion when, for the first time, Lisbeth Salander (Noomi Rapace) utters the words "Thank you" to Michael Nyqvist (Mikael Blomkvist) for the favor he has done her in saving her life. Finally, the viewer of the three films may believe that this strange, tormented, withdrawn girl child may actually find peace now that all her demons have been vanquished. After seeing all three films, I still don't know how Hollywood can succeed in replacing Noomi Rapace as the central figure in the story. Surely, like most Swedes, she can speak English and, if she has an accent, why shouldn't she, since her character is a Swede and the action takes place in and around Stockholm? Unless of course, Hollywood moves it to some other locale. In which case, I hope someone has a camera focused on Stieg Larsson's grave to watch him rolling over.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Finale to the trilogy
buiger29 November 2014
Excellent! In my opinion, maybe the best of the three installments of the 'Millenium' trilogy. I tend to disagree with Mr. Berardinelli's review in calling this 'an abject failure as a stand-alone motion picture', simply because it was never supposed to be a stand-alone motion picture. In Sweden, this was just part 5 and 6 of a TV Miniseries, and for being that it is excellent! My compliments to the Director, the writer and the entire cast.

Like Ebert, I also hope they manage to complete the 2 unfinished scripts by Stieg Larsson thus giving us parts 4 and 5 of this Saga. I will definitely be looking forward to it, both as books and movies!
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Grande Finale
jonipekka-luomala1 January 2010
One of the best movies I've ever seen and definitely THE very best happy-ending-movie! That means something, cause I consider movies being my hobby and I've seen quite a few (not really into books). Justice is served finally and totally. Yet it doesn't make the movie seem like most of the other movies in the happy-ending-genre. The film was all action without much action. Not a moment where the story doesn't progress. It is very different from the first two, and dare I say, in a good way. I find this to be the only movie trilogy I've seen where the final movie is actually the best. I found myself loving the movie on many occasions. If you've seen the first two this is a must. If not, watch them first and then come back for this one. It's worth it!
29 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Girl Trilogy - Hornet Completes It
drarthurwells29 November 2010
These Swedish films are based on author Stieg Larsson's very popular "Millennium" trilogy of books.

The "Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" is the first, and "The Girl Who Played With Fire" is the second, while "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest" is the last in the series.

All three should be viewed in sequence. Be sure to get the Swedish originals instead of the Hollywood remakes.

Each of the three is stylistically different, but each is qualitatively in the top 10 percent of movies ever made - a 10 rating.

Tattoo is essentially a murder mystery and is nicely developed at a relaxed pace. The main point in this is the introduction of the girl, who is a fascinating personality that constitutes a underlying mystery within the mystery explored in the film itself. This mystery of the Girl is revealed in the next two films in the series.

Fire is a mystery-action movie, and unlike the relaxed pace of Tattoo (to emphasis the mystery), Fire has a fast pace that emphasizes the action.

The mystery of the Girl is completely revealed in Nest, the final movie. Simultaneous plots are shown in shifts back and forth, which is potentially confusing for some viewers. However, this is skillfully accomplished as the plots of the investigation, the trial, and the experiences of the girl through all of this are depicted.

This is an outstanding set of three movies. People that don't speak Swedish and who do not like sub-titles may not like this aspect of the movies, but there is also a fine version of Tattoo (the first movie) that is English dubbed. English dubbed versions of the second and third of the set may be forthcoming.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A gripping conclusion to the trilogy
Tweekums3 January 2013
This film opens where 'The Girl Who Played with Fire' ended; protagonist Lisbeth Salander is being taken to hospital as has her father. She is seriously injured and needs to have a bullet removed from her head. She is also under arrest for the attempted murder of her father and the murders of three people. Given what had happened to her and what she knows powerful people are determined that she will not stand trial; if they can't kill her they will attempt to have her declared incompetent and committed to the psychiatric hospital where she was abused as a child. Meanwhile journalist Mikael Blomkvist is doing everything he can to see that justice is done; this includes working with a government organisation that is determined to expose the criminal behaviour of the group they have dubbed 'The Section'. As the story proceeds it becomes clear that Mikael and his colleagues at Millennium are in real danger and will be until members of 'The Section' are arrested.

This was a fine conclusion to the Millennium Trilogy; it had the advantage over previous instalments that being the final part the viewer doesn't know whether or not the protagonists will survive... given the dark nature of what has gone before it seemed quite possible that they might not. As in the previous instalment the film does have a televisual feel to it although that isn't to say it didn't look good. The leads continue to give terrific performances; especially Noomi Rapace who managed to convey her characters inner strength without saying a word and barely moving in some scenes. If there was a weakness it was Lisbeth's psychotic half brother who we see committing the occasional murder before a final confrontation with her... the main story with 'The Section' was engrossing enough and the additional threat he posed just seemed a distraction. If you've watched the other two instalments of the trilogy this is a must see film; if you haven't and want to watch this make sure you watch the other films first or this will make little sense.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Millennium Trilogy:Part 3.
morrison-dylan-fan7 September 2014
Originally planning to watch the 3rd and final part in the Millennium Trilogy as a way to mark my upcoming 500th review,I found myself suddenly having to change plans,when I discovered that I'd misplaced the box set! With thankfully having tracked down the set since my mistake,I decided to mark my upcoming 600th review,by at last watching the final part of the series.

The plot:

Waking up in hospital after her dad has shot her in the head, Lisbeth Salander discovers that the bullet has been safely removed from her brain,and that the police have charged her.Initially hoping that she has finally gotten revenge for the abuse that her dad inflicted on the entire family for years,Salander's hopes are dashed,when Dr. Anders Jonasson reveals that he is in a stable condition,and being treated in a near by room.

Whilst Salander breaths a small sigh of relief over still being alive,investigating journalist Mikael Blomkvist begins putting together a special edition of a magazine called Millennium,which will go into detail about the abuse that Salander suffered in state institutions,and her dads close links to sections of the government.As Blomkvist starts to write the mag,two former members of a secret splinter cell within the Swedish security uncover Blomkvist investigations,and begin to fear that he is about to uncover their link to Salander's dad.

Desperate to stop Blomkvist before he finds out their secrets,the former spires locate Salanders for psychiatric counsellor,and get him to write a report that will be submitted to the court,which claims that Salander is insane.Relising that they do not have a similar option for Salander's dad,one of the ex-spires goes to the hospital and shoots him.Waking up from hearing gunshots outside,Salander starts to hear someone slowly walking towards her room,who is desperate to destroy the girl with the dragon tattoo.

View on the film:

Avoiding the dull dead ends that Jonas Frykberg had taken the films in,the screenplay by Ulf Ryberg takes the film back to its Nordic Noir roots,while opening up the titles universe on a vast scope.Superbly showing in stark flashbacks the full effect of the horrific events that Salander has experienced in the movies, Ryberg reveals in a tremendous,centre-piece court room scene the decay which has rotted major parts of the government and the secret service,which goes from perverted psychiatrist Dr. Peter Teleborian being desperate to keep his shady past under wraps,to members of a secret splinter cell taking anyone down who attempts to discover their vicious activates.

Firmly keeping Salander and Blomkvist permanently on edge,returning director Daniel Alfredson and cinematographer Peter Mokrosinski show a fantastic skill in allowing scenes to breath,with Alfredson only going for a close-up on Salander's face when she is raising herself from near death,and also seeing the repercussions at last hit her perpetrator's.Along with the smart limited use of close- ups,Alfredson also creates a disturbing Nordic Noir mood,thanks to Alfredson giving each of the out door scenes a strong evil under the sun aura,and also dim lighting to create a tense feeling of mysterious strangers hiding in any corner of a room.

Despite being stuck in a hospital bed for the first half,Noomi Rapace gives a tremendous performance as Salander,with Rapace showing in her body language that every twitch Salander makes is connected to the past which she is haunted by.Getting out of bed,Rapace gives Salander an extremely charismatic, masculine stride,which suggests that Salander may be starting to be more optimistic about her future.Reuniting with Rapace, Michael Nyqvist gives an amazing performance as Blomkvist,with Nyqvist showing the wear & tear scatted over Blomkvist face due to his deep desire to release the secret history behind Lisbeth Salander-aka:The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The dragon tattoo series
oregontinaw21 October 2010
I am in deep sorrow that Steig was not allowed to continue his writing. Like all great series, if made in to one grand movie we would say it was too long or not detailed enough. It would need to be; to flesh out all the characters and action. However as an English speaking/reading person, I thought the books were translated with finesse and watching the movies they are well crafted so that one follows the storyline even when reading the subtitles. I will buy all the dvds for my library as I have the books.

The third movie/book wraps all the story lines in a rough basket and you can breathe a deep sign when it is over.

I must add a word of caution to anyone reading this. These movies will not make as much sense or be as much of an impact to the person who has not read the books. There is a plot, but all the nuances will be lost on the non-reader. Read the books first! I am fearful of the American version that is to be made. While I like the casting of Mikael in the US version better than the original, I worry about miscasting of the rest. It can make or break a movie in my opinion. OH BE CAREFUL!! The woman who played in the original will be tough to recreate, she was perfect for the part!
17 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great ending to a great series
akkoziol28 July 2010
I didn't like the third part of the Millennium trilogy as much as the second but it was better than the 1st part for sure. We have a more fleshed out group of characters to contend with now and the plot of the series has become so expansive you can hardly believe these two rather insignificant people have so much on their plates.

The final installment in the Millennium trilogy continues off where the 1st and 2nd movie leaves off as we find Lisbeth being air lifted out of Zala's compound and near death. Meanwhile the authorities seek Lisbeth to indict her for attempted murder and a slew of other alleged misdeeds but Blomqvist still stands by steadfast and armed with the truth.

We see more into the reason why a mysterious group of unknown individuals seeks to discredit Lisbeth and silence her to protect the man called Zala and what his significance is to the mysterious group.

The whole of Lisbeth's past and the present circumstances surrounding Zala and the mystery men come together like an immovable object and an unstoppable force as the story reaches its ultimate climax towards the end. All the while, Niedermann lurks in wait.

I was beyond blown away by the trilogy as a whole and recommend you watch all three in sequence. Bravo.
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Final installment of Millennium trilogy not up to first episode but still worthwhile seeing and with a great ending
Andy-29622 March 2010
As this film, the final installment in the Millennium trilogy, begins, (SPOILERS AHEAD) Lisbeth Salander is in a hospital, recovering from the bullet in the head she got at the end of part II. Soon her father (the Ukrainian mobster who tried to kill her) is dead, but nevertheless she remains on the run from his minions, especially the blond monster of the second part who here is shockingly revealed to be her half brother. One could argue that the Millennium trilogy is a metaphor or indictment of the rottenness of Swedish society, but if the first movie worked (the best in the trilogy by a long shot) was as a very exciting action movie with a compelling mystery. If that first part was a great, gripping film, Millennium II was unpleasant, disjointed and confusing. Millennium III give us the loose ends in the first two parts, and is much better than II, though not up to the first movie. It can be confusing at the start, and for much of the running time it has the look of a condensed miniseries, as if several hours were resumed in two and a half. Also, I found that the long trial scene, while explaining much of Lisbeth's motivations, was a drag to watch. Fortunately, the final fifteen minutes make a very satisfying end to the trilogy. One reason the final two installments were not up to the first is that they were shot by a different director: Niels Oplev is clearly a much better director than Daniel Alfredson. But the ending redeems this movie, making it worthwhile to see.
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Third in the series, my wife enjoyed the books.
TxMike10 May 2011
It is a long and not very interesting story why I watched the third one first. Part of the story is that it is being re-made as an American movie.

My wife read the books and told me she "couldn't put them down." So we found this on DVD at our public library. We watched it with English dubbing, my wife doesn't care for reading subtitles while she is watching a movie.

The "girl" in the various titles is Noomi Rapace as Lisbeth Salander. She had a curious start, the daughter of a prostitute, with a very bad man for a father. As we learn through the dialog here, she witnessed her father being very abusive to her mother and in retaliation, when she was but a girl, doused him with gasoline and tried to burn him to death. He survived, facially disfigured, and Lisbeth was sent to a facility as a troubled, possibly insane child.

As this movie begins we see Lisbeth and her father in the hospital, seems she was out as a young adult in her 20s, and she is accused of attempted murder of her father with a ax.

Most of the movie involves a reporter and his lawyer sister looking for a defense for Lisbeth. The nemesis is the psychologist who years earlier had examined Lisbeth and declared her institutionalized. In present time he was on the side of the prosecution.

Good movie, but not great. We enjoyed it for what it is. I especially like the Lisbeth character, she is smart and her own person. Now I need to see the first two movies. They are on their way!!

SPOILERS: The defense hinged on evidence supporting Lisbeth's claim that she had been abused while in the institution. In spite of the psychologists protestations, Lisbeth presented a video she had made secretly, of her caretaker raping her and doing other unlawful things. Plus with the help of a hacker friend, found evidence on his computer that the psychologist was involved in child pornography. In the end Lisbeth was freed, many others were arrested.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
and what a kick it is
aharmas11 November 2010
The end of the trilogy ends with a bang, well, maybe a series of explosive moments. Some of these are of the psychological and emotional kind, and the fact that we get the principals in the courtroom couldn't have more appropriate.

Watching our heroine play rough and have her action moments in the second installment was indeed plenty of fun, but the core of the story is her inner fury, her drive for revenge, and most importantly the way the actress portrays her raw intelligence and resourcefulness. She is one of the most thrilling and imaginative creations of the last decade. In "Hornet" she is back, after a much needed rehabilitation stint at a hospital, with her batteries fully charged, ready to confront her tormentors and have them convicted.

The film does not cover every element of the book, and some purists might argue that some details have been completely changed, but in the end, the main ideas are, and our heroine still shines.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Girl Who Painted Her Toenails Black
Ali_John_Catterall11 October 2010
Ah, the Millennium Trilogy – otherwise known as The Good, The Bad and the Unbelievably Boring. Well, I say 'Good'; to clarify, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, in which a hack and a hacker take on evil Swedish industrialists (they're neo-Nazis! And serial killers! They're neo-Nazi serial-killers!), is only fractionally more readable than the scriptures of Dan Brown.

But in truth, all of Stieg Larsson's posthumous bestsellers – shaggy dog stories with particular emphasis on the shag – fair groan with the self-same Mogadon exposition and naff throwbacks. Tattooed, bisexual computer hackers kitted out like Camden cybergoths? Seriously, what year is this again, 1995?

Inevitably, this shockingly profitable pulp has spawned some equally successful if wretchedly pedestrian made-for-TV movies, containing some of the most mystifying subtitling in history, and with sequel The Girl Who Played With Fire, a deranged lurch into James Bond-style silliness – "Yes Meester Blomquist, my giant blonde henchman feels no pain, mwahahaha!" Here's the final chapter in which Lisbeth Salander (Noomi Rapace) is recovering in hospital after being turned into a salt shaker by her old man. However, with both the law patiently waiting to arrest her, and her donkey-dumb half-brother Ronald Niedermann (Micke Spreitz) itching to finish her off, Salander's troubles are hardly over.

Meanwhile, that pervy old journo Mikael Blomkvist (Michael Nyqvist), the kind of man who'd pester a damp patch on the wall if it was shaped like a bra, fights to clear her name, before she eventually hauls her tormenters to court. All of which is so life-sappingly drawn-out, the Grim Reaper actually hung around long enough to pop a 'Sorry you were out' card through my letterbox.

This is one final course of Europudding that may leave audiences feeling less satisfied than simply bloated. And a prediction, then: from a purely dramatic point of view, David Fincher's Hollywood remake, starring Rooney Mara and Daniel Craig, will give the material a badly needed kick up the bum. And hopefully reignite the debate: that a purportedly 'feminist' franchise, featuring a kick-ass babe who "sometimes looks 14" and gets breast implants at one point to "improve the quality of her life", doesn't half like to linger over graphic images of raped and murdered females.

Also, a suggestion: how about if movies and novels that exploit pronounced psychiatric illness or carry scenes of violence against women for entertainment purposes donated half their profits to mental health charities or rape crisis centres? Crazy idea, I know.
38 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A most satisfying ending to a great trilogy.
lastliberal-853-25370829 January 2011
Once again, we are thrust into the lives of the stunning Noomi Rapace as Lisbeth Salander (the title role) and Michael Nyqvist as Mikael Blomkvist. We will be treated to excellent acting and a compelling ending to the trilogy written by Stieg Larson.

The action of the first two films is replaced with a tense thriller as we see the attempt to quiet our two heroes permanently, while they use all their resources to expose a secret agency much like that in the Bourne Trilogy. This agency was developed solely to protect a Russian defector, and they will stop at nothing to achieve their objectives and protect themselves.

This is one film where the critics are full of it as they missed the point. The courtroom scenes are brilliant, and there are many moments in the film where fans can cheer.

A most satisfying ending to a great trilogy.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The trial should have been shot better.
coolbarbie200421 February 2015
The actors did an amazing job. The movie was good but it lacked some substance. Michael's never ending persistence. His ending up with Ferguelo. The press hounding Lisbeth and publishing nasty articles about S&m,etc. Also I was expecting a better trial for Lisbeth. Its so riveting in the book. I wanted to see something similar. Lisbeth's quirk, Giannani's effective arguments about Lisbeth's alcohol, sex life and tattoos. Lisbeth's old guardian. Teleborian's disgusting egotistical evaluation. Lisbeth's assertiveness to get a conviction the same day and not wanting to swayback in the country for evaluations after the trial. The judge asserting the logic of being legally competent. But in the movie it was very laid back and slow. Disappointing.
great work
Vincentiu8 March 2014
final part of series, it is a basket with answers after the first parts questions. in same measure, it is a good political movie, far to classic recipes but really convincing to discover the novel. it is almost unrealistic in many scenes but it has the rare gift to seduce and to have the force to give inspired skin to a remarkable story. Noomi Rapace use each possibility of her role and the crisis of Millennium team is presented in inspired manner. in same measure, it is a film about Sweden system and that makes the difference by American crime genre. because, far to be only an adaptation, it represents a portrait of a country. and this fact is real significant - the rules, the democratic lines and limits, the role of silence and the justice , the force of civil society. a beautiful series. and , maybe, the most inspired form to adapted a success book.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A positive conclusion that ends the trilogy well.
lewiskendell1 February 2011
One thing is for sure. No one can accuse the film adaptations of The Millennium Trilogy of being rehashes of one another.

Where the first movie was a murder mystery, and the second was well...I'm not really sure. Somewhat of a mess. The third movie is a combination of a political thriller and a courtroom drama. All the threads that were laid in the first two movies are wrapped up neatly (and admittedly, somewhat conveniently), by the end of The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest.

As far as quality goes, I'd put it between the first and third movies. It's not as amazing as The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest, but it's a definite improvement in coherence over The Girl Who Played with Fire.

I thought it was a reasonably strong end to the trilogy, and I admittedly felt some strong satisfaction at seeing some of the events that happen in this movie. Let's just say that some things get set right, and some people get their much needed comeuppance. Watching this will help wash the mediocre taste of the previous movie out of your mouth.