"Kingdom" Kingdom: Ashin of the North (TV Episode 2021) Poster

Spin-off from a popular show
Leofwine_draca2 August 2021
Not quite sure about this one. It's a spin-off from the popular Korean historical zombie show KINGDOM, featuring the back story of a random character who only appeared in the last episode of season two. For the first half it's long-winded and a little dull, marred too by some dodgy CGI animals that filmmakers like including in their stuff these days (reminded me of THE WALKING DEAD a bit). The second half is more vibrant, with some nasty zombie action and a grisly revenge-themed climax. I found the main character entirely unappealing, but once this gets off the ground it's pretty interesting.
0 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Revenge and zombies in medieval Korea
Tweekums25 July 2021
This special episode of 'Kingdom' can be looked on as a feature film prequel. It tell the story of Ashin and how the plant that turns people into ferocious zombies is first used. As a child Ashin lived in a frontier village. When members of a neighbouring tribe die while looking for wild ginseng in a forbidden area the authorities claim they were killed by a tiger and tell Ashin's father to relay that fact. He isn't believed. The village is attacked and Ashin is the sole survivor. She asks the local military commander too help her have her revenge. He allows her to stay in the base and she becomes more and more proficient in archery. She also finds a flower that writings on an old shrine says can bring people back from the dead... at a price. It is only a matter of time till she has her revenge.

I really enjoyed 'Kingdom' so watched this as soon as I became aware of it. I think this was just as good. It starts well and only gets better as it proceeds. The story is interesting, because it is a prequel it isn't necessary to have seen the series to enjoy. There plenty of action; this includes an exciting tiger hunt; Ashin dispatching various people with her bow and a zombie attack. It is all beautifully shot; the scenes in the forest are particularly good as the camera races between the trees. The special effects were great too. Jun Ji-hyun and Kim Shi-ah are great playing the older and younger Ashin respectively; the rest of the cast are really impressive as well. Overall I'd say this is a must see for fans of the series; fans of period far-eastern action and fans of zombie films... great stuff!

These comments are based on watching the film in Korean with English subtitles.
10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great filler while waiting for the third season of "Kingdom"...
paul_haakonsen24 July 2021
While waiting for the third season of "Kingdom," we were treated to this 2021 movie titled "Kingdom: Ashin-jeon" (aka "Kingdom: Ashin of the North").

And writer Eun-hee Kim definitely managed to fill in the gap here with brilliance and entertainment, because "Kingdom: Ashin of the North" definitely was up to par with the "Kingdom" series. So if you enjoyed the first two seasons of that series and find yourself waiting for season three, then I can warmly and strongly recommend that you sit down to watch "Kingdom: Ashin of the North".

"Kingdom: Ashin of the North" is sort of an origin story, and it definitely was an interesting and well-told one. So I was more than entertained by what director Seong-hun Kim delivered here.

Visually then "Kingdom: Ashin of the North" is as astounding as the "Kingdom" series, so you know what you are getting here. And there are some nice scenes with a deer and a tiger, which were quite good. Though, I feel that writer Eyn-hee Kim didn't really fully explore to its full contents.

"Kingdom: Ashin of the North" is entertaining from beginning to end, and you should certainly watch it if you have the chance.

My rating of "Kingdom: Ashin of the North" lands on a seven out of ten stars.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gruesome exciting and more complicated than expected
phd_travel30 July 2021
Kingdom 1 & 2 were exciting but simple stories of being chased by zombies. So I didn't expect this violent complicated and dark tale with a big twist and revenge torture and betrayal. Jun Ji Hyun only comes in later in the show but she is effective in a serious role. The child actress is great.

Much better than expected.

The faults are it was hard to distinguish the villains especially when they were being dispatched.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Same quality extra long episode of the series Kingdom
deloudelouvain28 August 2021
Ashin Of The North is an extra long episode of the quality series Kingdom which explains a lot after watching the season's finale from that show. You should watch the two seasons of Kingdom before though. I was looking forward to watch this episode. Everything makes more sense now. It's still cinematography of high quality and for that we have to thank the South_koreans that clearly know what they're doing. They're by far the best cinema country from Asia. Ashin Of The North is only one episode which is strange but in one episode everything is explained well. I could watch much more episodes of this kind of stories, it's all just very entertaining. Finally you get some zombies that can run and not that weak stumbling around like in the American show The Walking Dead. South-Korean zombies are hungry and fast, which makes it all more suspenseful. Credits to the make-up artists who did a very good job.
Really love your Tiger Feet
southdavid14 August 2021
I really love "Kingdom". With covid delaying the 3rd season proper, we make do with "Ashin of the North" a prequel film that provides us with backstory for the character of Ashin, who made her dramatic debut right at the end of the second season.

With Joseon facing the threat of Japanese forces along the south, it can ill afford to engage with the Jurchen armies to the North. Relations between the two move to a knife edge when, near to the village of Seonjeoyain, a group of Pajeowi Jurchen men are killed in a forbidden part of the forest. In retaliation, Jurchen soldiers attack and destroy Seonjeoyain leaving only one young girl, Ashin (Si-ah Kim and later Jun Ji-Hyun) alive. Ashin begs the local commander for vengeance, but he has another use for her. However, her knowledge about a mysterious plant, deep in the woods will eventually have dire consequences.

Zombie tigers... who knew that they would be a theme of the summer.

I really liked this. Essentially just a feature length episode of the show, the political manoeuvring, the zombie hoards, the hats.. it was all here. (Actually the hats were a little disappointing this time). Visually stunning, the CGI work and the more traditional zombie make up style were as excellent as they always have been.

The story though was the really boon of this one. Ashin's growth, suffering and then legitimate reason for revenge, although you'd probably argue that she's taken it a little too far, is all really well done. The scene of her vengeance on the barracks, whilst not matching the scale of some of the other attacks we've seen, is really well done.

I love that the film sets up story we've seen so far, as well as introducing us to who is sure to be a key character in the third season. Roll on.
Great Zombie & Historical action
Pairic3 August 2021
Kingdom: Ashin of the North: A feature length prequel to Season 1 which gives the origin story of Ashin who discovered the Zombie herbs. A tale of betrayal, war, espionage, intrigue and of course Zombies. Like Train To Busan the first Zombie we see is a deer, when it sees a tiger naturally it attacks but it's bitten off more than it can chew. It has bitten the tiger though which is now a Zombie and dispatches beaters and hunters before it is finally brought down. The young Ashin (Kim Shi-ah) is the only survivor of a massacre and trains so that she might take vengeance on the killers; Jun Ji-hyun reprises her role as the adult Ashin who puts good use to the training. Quite a savage, violent film. Not just the Zombies biting/eating people alive but also the human on human slaughter. The forests at time shine with a subdued light, almost subaqueous in tone. Some great Zombie swarms. Directed by Kim Seong-hun from a screenplay by Kim Eun-hee. On Netflix. 8/10.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
STILL FUN TO WATCH.
andrewchristianjr25 July 2021
This film is still fun to watch, even though the tense scenes that show zombies and humans are very briefly raised. However, at least this special episode can treat fans' longing while waiting for the news of the release of 'Kingdom 3'.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Asian Martial Arts meet Game of Thrones
Horror_Flick_Fanatic24 July 2021
The cinematography, sets, and wardrobe were excellent. So where the practical special effects in the film.

However, the CGI is good when the animals are calm, but it breaks up during the chase scenes between in the woods and the tall grasslands.

I wanted to give this film a better score but I could not because of the atrocious acting performances and the terrible zombie screenplay. Seems like the makers are not sure if they were making a period drama or a zombie film.

Some of the scenes are loosely copied from the Game of Thrones. GoT fans will spot them right away.
15 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
another awesome Korean revenge quest
Movi3DO10 August 2021
A special episode, more like a movie, of the South Korean series Kingdom. The story is about the origin of Ashin.

When it comes to the theme of vengeance, South Korean movies are the best with brutal ways of revenging that can make my stomach churns. This movie again proves this point with another disturbing way of exacting revenge.

The first two-third of the movie was about setting up the events before the first season of the show. Most importantly, however, was the buildup of circumstances that justified vengeance from the main character. This part was done well enough that made the last third incredibly disturbing and ruthless.

My problem was about the mechanism of the plague itself. I felt like there might be some conflict between what happened in this movie and what happened in the show.

Overall, another great revenge thriller that furthered the story of Kingdom universe. 8.5/10

This part below is **SPOILER ALERT to season 2 of Kingdom and the movie**.

Wow this movie is basically a villain's origin of story. Ashin was so badass and her motivations were justified. It also connected well to the series, making Ashin even a bigger threat than the royal clan. Can't wait to see Ashin vs Crowned Prince.
Fantastic
PedroPires9024 August 2021
I don't know if I should consider this a film or an episode. Tbh, I think it works really well as a film, even if you don't watch Kingdom, so I think I will take it that way.

Absolutely perfect production values, great story, fantastic build-up and very good acting. The first half is a but slow, more on the political side, but this is very, very good.
Revenge served.
AJ_McAninch27 July 2021
I love Jun Ji-hyun, and she is good in this as well as even more beautiful than ever. But I thought the plot was slow to develop. Still it is a satisfying revenge film, and I look forward to more from her in the series.
It was nice
aastikhimta28 July 2021
The plot was good. The plot twists were good too. Ending was nice too. A decent movie with decent storyline . You can definitely go for it.
Ashin Of The North is a brilliant spin off with great execution
pranayjalvi23 July 2021
Kingdom Ashin Of North is a brilliant spin off of critically acclaimed Kingdom series which tells the story of Ashin and the origins of the undead.

The story was great along with the lead cast and overall production of this special episode. From the very beginning till the end, there was no boredom whatsoever. A story of survival, betrayal and revenge, Ashin Of North serves a great plot that will eventually tie up with Kingdom storyline. Jun Ji Hyun was brilliant as Ashin.

The 3rd season will probably the ultimate showdown of humans vs the undead and I am waiting eagerly for it

My Rating : 9/10.
93 out of 112 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoy these final moments of peace
alaningle730 July 2021
A young girls Ashin's tribe is slaughtered and her father is believed to have been executed as a spy, she goes to her fathers spymaster and begs him to take revenge. This is the prequel to the kingdom series and at the end of the last series we saw a shot of Ashin smiling alluding to the fact she may be spreading the virus on purpose. The acting is top notch and even though the story is a little slow it ramps up the foreboding tension as it progresses.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Great Addition to Kingdom. Expands upon the already great world.
Spartan_1_1_728 July 2021
Kingdom has been one of the best, if not THE BEST, Zombie related stuff to come out in a long time. Ashin of the North is a special episode of average movie runtime that expands upon the already released two seasons and while it might not be AS great, it's still a riveting ride if you have enjoyed the series.

In a similar fashion to the series, there's a lot going on other than just Zombies but the Zombie stuff is strong too and its starts with that in a cool way. Politics, betrayal, revenge, family drama, it's all here and it's executed well. From the narrative to the production, you are propelled back in time to this fantastical period and are allowed to stay for the entirety of the runtime. Proper escapism, something modern Hollywood should start doing again en mass.

Performances were strong, especially from the lead who turned into a complete badass yet a tortured soul that you feel for. Ashin is going to be an interesting character moving forward and I can't wait to see how it all fits in Season 3.

Highly recommended. If you haven't watched the Series, watch that first, then watch this, then wait for the next season. It's worth it. And if I were to rate this, I'd give it an 8/10.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really Freaking Scary. The Most Terrifying Zombies...EVER!
silicontourist25 July 2021
One thing the South Korean film industry does well is make excellent films. One thing within that industry that they do superbly is, "Horror films". They have got the rest of the world beaten hands down because, their Zombie films are not only excellent entertainment but genuinely terrifying! They are also getting very close to being on par with Japanese psychological horror genre of the likes of "Dark Water (2002)", "Ju-on: The Grudge (2002)" or the internet thriller killer, "Pulse (2001)"...and there are a heck of a lot more like that from Japan!

If you are a true Walking Dead fan you will have seen the South Korean films, "Train to Busan (2016)" and its sequel "Peninsula (2020)". Their is also a favourite of mine, "Rampant (2018)" South Korean period action zombie film; that is set in the same early Joseon period (late 14th - early 20th century) settings as the TV series "Kingdom" and its prequel special, "Kingdom: Ashin-jeon(2021)". Don't let the fact that it is subtitled put you off having a look. The acting, action, special FX make-up etc is outstanding and knocks spots off anything that has been on Terra TV in the last 3 years.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Series better..
erhanipekciler25 July 2021
I watched Kingdom before and it was super nice, perfect narration, good acting, it was almost perfect, this is nice too, first 1 hour, I thought it was a little boring and difficult to understand the story but last 30 minutes everything turned to perfect.. but I still prefer series. Ashin's story is so dramatic first, then she turned to psycho :)

Watchable, love it again.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
highly overrated
jindann25 July 2021
Slow paced, boring script and unconvincing story, already lost my interest minutes into the movie. Rather a short movie yet still boring due to empty script, lacking of intensity and character development, has somewhat of a predictable twist that is kind of underwhelming and couldn't save it from it's dullness. If you want to see a better Korean zombie movie train to busan was a lot better.
20 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it, can't wait for season 3
TreeFiddy5325 July 2021
This special was BRILLIANTLY shot (great color correction!), has got some great acting (regular and zombie) and some great music to complement the above and keeps the intensity and drama going.

The storyline, even though slightly expected (Who is the real enemy?), is good too with a twist or two that might not see coming.

I wish this were longer than 90 mins, but that's just me wishing S3 was already here along with millions of other people. But since this is all we have for now, please do check it out.

Ask Zack Snyder to watch it too! This is what zombie content should be, unlike that LA trash he recently made.

Ashin of the North is a a very quick watch, would totally recommend.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Important prequel but less 'zombie-bite' moments and weaker origin story
witra_as23 July 2021
An important prequel before Kingdom S3 from Kim Seong-hun got excellent cinematography and solid action sequences. Though i was expecting stronger origin story and more 'zombie-bite' moments. Gianna Jun made strong comeback as devilish antiheroine.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Neat, Clever, Vengeful
BijeshNagesh24 July 2021
Contributing a superb spin-off to the 2-Season "Kingdom" South-Korean Zombie series that aired in 2019, "Ashin Of The North" definitely packs answers and thrills in equal measure.

The opening title-sequence always enthralled me, and I loved watching it again in this spinoff.

The Zombie Tiger was, paws down, my favourite addition to this TV Special. Clever CGI work. The story goes beyond the Tiger, in fact the striped big-cat only features in a few portions of the tale to help carry it forward.

A few extended explanations and story points were beautifully covered in "Kingdom: Ashin Of The North", especially regarding the 'Resurrection Flower'.

I loved the 'familiar' touch that Director Seong-hun Kim brought to the spin-off. He didn't deviate much from the original 2019 Korean-language "Kingdom" series, and that's a good thing. He also didn't shy from capturing realistic, gory, and visceral elements. I respect that.

Writer Eun-hee Kim put in a lot of work here and tied up loose-ends (if any) from the original show. The dialogue-driven scenes certainly benefited from her skills. Some neat twists and turns too.

The zombies' movement (behaviour, attack) choreography was excellent.

Jun Ji-Hyun performance as the titular Ashin was exemplary. Even the character's younger version, played by Si-ah Kim, was memorable. They brought remarkable tension, and not a small amount of mystery, to their character.

Some of Ashin's scenes (i.e., after she finds her father in the enemy camp) were heart-wrenching to watch. Her 'bloody vengeance' sequences were as daring as they were compelling.

The "Kingdom: Ashin Of The North" TV Special was a dark delight. It made me want to go see the original series again.

This spin-off is genuinely unforgettable for more than a handful of reasons, the one-eyed Zombie Tiger being just one of them.

I was surprised at how beautifully emotional this spin-off was.
21 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kingdom: Ashin of the North
jackson_ro5 September 2021
A spin-off of the magnificent Kingdom franchise that got me new more excited for what's to come. Ashin of the North's story is blatantly simple, but one that is executed magnificently. In 90 minutes, in typical Kingdom fashion there are enough plot twists to keep anyone entertained and does the IP justice. On top of all that, the cinematography is magnificent and every scene is shot beautifully, on par with GOT production level (except for the awkward CGI). The spin-off adds a little deeper depth into the overall lore and introduces a character that is easy for us to love in the new season, a win win situation and shows the value of services like Netflix, where publishers have more control and ability to distribute content and make something better, sort of like a video game DLC.
A remarkable orgin story
mynameritesh23 July 2021
Kingdom Ashin of North forms an imperative back story of Ashin whom we saw in the finale of the Season 2 of Kingdom. With a foreboding atmospheric tension and amazing cinematography of Joseon province, this 92min film offers more drama about the agonies Ashin went through and her journey of vengeance. Led by a dazzling performance by Jun Hi-Yun , Ashin of North is artistically written, stunning origin story. The story takes its own time but the climax strikes you right to want more of this fantastic franchise.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poor plot. Otherwise a very good prequel.
DaegT28 July 2021
Without further ado, I would like to point out the largest plot hole of the whole story: a little girl who lives with soldiers in a military outpost/fortress. That doesn't makes ANY sense at all. And at the end of the story I can see that it doesn't has any need at all. How could an experienced production team commit such a mistake!!!!!!!

In other words, the girl can simply avenge her family WITHOUT spending one single minute of her childhood in the outpost.

And apart from that, the movie is totally predictable in every aspect. It's extraordinary entertaining because of the huge investment in the movie production. The production team, speaking of which, have achieved their expected level of production. The only shortcoming is the thin, very thin, way of story telling. Quite comparable any female revenging story.

Fans of the Kingdom series should watch it, without any doubt. But not for the the newbies.
0 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.