Demonic (2021) Poster

(2021)

Well...he tried.
benjaminskylerhill25 August 2021
Beneath the glossy surface of unique visual ambition and a slew of intriguing, potential-filled ideas and concepts, this is unfortunately just 100 minutes of more of the same nonsensical writing, weak characters, and unbearably stupid dialogue and clichés that have plagued the horror genre for decades.

How is this the same filmmaker behind District 9?
34 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Blomkamp's latest
SnoopyStyle25 August 2021
Carly (Carly Pope) is estranged from her mother Angela who was convicted of burning down her care home workplace and killing some 21 people some twenty years ago. She further poisoned another five. Carly is haunted by nightmares of Angela. She has also been estranged from longtime friend Martin after those events and then he contacts her with news about her mother.

When this popped up, I didn't realize that it's a new Neill Blomkamp film. I figured it to be another low budget inconsequential B-horror movie. The initial assumption is not far from the reality. The premise is similar to Jennifer Lopez in The Cell except its visuals are nowhere near as imaginative nor compelling. This story needs something much more basic than that. It needs a ticking clock and stakes and motivation for Carly. If an evil corporation is going to all that trouble, it should do something much more coercive to bring her into the experiment. It has non of that. She just agrees to join this weird experience for no apparent reason. At least give her a beat and a nightmare in between the asking and the doing. She could do the procedure to confront her nightmarish visions and her mother. There is a clear deterioration in Blomkamp's writing and his visual style has stalled at best. There are basic concepts of motivation and characterization that are missing.
12 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A swing and a miss....
drtrance200321 August 2021
I like Neil's films and unique takes on existing genres. However this movie was much more bland then the trailers make you believe. Literally every cool idea and scene was shown in the trailer. Wanna see how black-op military priests sent by the vatican combat demons...... yeah that never happens. Could have been cool, but nah, no budget for that! Of the 3 V. R. scenes there was only one interesting moment when they kinda reveal the demon. This movie had lots of promise but went nowhere with it, was not scary enough to be called horror, and inspite of its one or two unique ideas, it did not push them far enough.
33 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Re-Watch District 9...
baehr_adam22 August 2021
I'll make this short. Horror is my life; whether it's movies, shows, games or books. Horror is my niche. A 4 is generous which sucks Bc I loved District 9, Elysium and Chappie. Where to start. The main protagonist was utterly trash and annoying. The cinematography was actually cool with the whole VR portrayal. The action was limited. One minor scare. The biggest thing which could have brought it to a 7 for me was the fact that he didn't include what could have constituted a wicked action scene with a Vatican Spec Op Unit; either a lack of budget or time, but regardless it will hurt reviews given time. A Redbox rental at best.
28 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Neils back with disappointment
edgarkaz21 August 2021
WTF did I just watch? This isnt the Neil I remember. It felt like watching a low quality horror sci fi flick. Every Neil short movie and movie shows all the violence and chaos but this just skips over everything. The acting was good but this just isnt it. Very disappointing.
38 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Movie That Should Have Been a Video Game
KultureNeuro23 August 2021
I think Neill Blomkamp should make video games instead of movies. I don't need to write a full review. This movie is evidence of that very fact. Video games make terrible movies, and vice verse.

Dear Mr. Blomkamp, you're talented... I just think you need to redirect your energy from a movie to a video game. Try it. What's the worst that could happen?
20 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wasted potential.
waynedover198023 August 2021
Oh dear me , was interested in this film because I'm a big fan of blomkamps other work but this is so dull and boring , the effects are pretty poor as well , ok gutted someone who brought us district 9 and elisium has fallen so far from grace , his oats studio work was better than this , a film from the short rakka could of been great , this film is not scary nor sci fi it's just stupid and boring .
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Sims 4: Demonic Home Decorator
kuarinofu29 July 2021
Please excuse my attempts at humor. It's a defensive reaction.

I really, really wanted to like this film. It has been on my watchlist for like 3 years, and I was constantly checking on it. I hoped for Wan as a director, but when I saw Blomkamp, I was pleasantly surprised. I wouldn't say I liked Elysium, but I think Neill is a talented director.

With that being said, I give this film a lot of credit and a 6/10. It had its moments, but the negatives overcame the positives. As more people will watch it, I think it will drop down to ~5.5 or less.

There were three major problems for me:

1) the dialogue was unbearable most of the time;

2) the amounts of exposition thrown in these were overwhelming. The story comes to a halt for 10-15 minutes, and then BOOM, you get bombarded with information the characters share (the things they already know btw). And it's not that confusing to provide this much flashback.

3) the whole technology/occult combination was fresh, but when they tell you the point of all that, it just becomes a laughable excuse and an insane over-complication of what could have been done.

Throw in some heavy continuity, and the majority of the viewers will probably dislike this. The ending clearly shows that at least 10-15 minutes of it was missing, the main lead teleports way too much, and some scenes end abruptly.

I want to mention some positives as well, the film did look good, and I enjoyed the ending night scenes. I constantly felt like I'm giving this film much more creditworthiness than it's worth, but I saw some potential in it.

And yeah, while interesting in their looks, the simulation scenes lacked creativity, and the entity of which we got no information looks like Radament from Diablo 2.

Overall, this is not a horror film. And as much as I appreciate the effort, I didn't like it as much as I wanted to.
46 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I wanted this to be good but it wasn't
jamesbulgin22 August 2021
You'll know it's bad when they enter a VR world in someone's mind. Monster wasn't very scary. Poor Neil, guy needs a hit and this ain't it.
19 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An interesting and unique enough take on the demonic possession subgenre
BusaLeLizweBo9 August 2021
The main reason I was interested in this film was Neill Blomkamp, who is finally back to making feature films after a 6-years-long pause. After two forays into blockbuster territory, he's back with indie horror and I was very curious how he would approach the genre. The title is very generic and if it wasn't for Blomkamp, I probably would have skipped this one. Plus, it is hard to make a genuinely fresh and interesting horror movie today and Blomkamp almost succeeds, but not all the way through.

It starts out very interesting. The story is intriguing and good acting helped giving it the proper emotion. The simulation scenes are easily the best and most interesting parts of the film, but that aspect of the story is done by the midpoint and only comes back once more in the climax. This is largely why the latter half of the film was disappointing. Plus, something about the writing and sometimes even acting just wasn't on the same level anymore. If the plot was more focused on the initial concept and explored the simulation more, it would have made for a lot more interesting film. This way, we get one amazing scene in the climax and then the rest of it is drawn out and clichéd. However, the design of the demon was very good and there were several genuinely frightening scenes. What's even better is that the demon is obscured most of the time, which makes it all the more creepy. There are a few jumpscares, but Blomkamp doesn't rely on that to much. Instead, he relies on the power of disturbing imagery, which is worthy of respect when many other directors would go for a cheap and sudden booming sound.

All in all, the film could have been a lot better than it ended up being, but it is certainly not bad. With an interesting concept and character design, it is unique enough to stand out among the crowd of other demonic possession horror films. After this, I'm excited to see what Blomkamp does next.
46 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This was a Neil Blomkamp movie?
drivedetailing22 August 2021
Nah...couldn't have been...this was low budge messiness...rushed ideas, no vision and some silly dialogue....or better yet what I like to call "nothing talk"...it's almost as if he was contracted to make a movie to pay back the studio ??
20 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Exorcistmare on Matrix Street
Otkon29 August 2021
Of course that sounds like a fairly amazing premise But sadly it never really finds its own path.

The cast is admirable for going all-in. And it has high production values. But in the end, it's a big so what.

I think Martin was my favorite.
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Painfully bad...
paul_haakonsen30 September 2021
When I sat down to watch this 2021 horror movie from writer and director Neill Blomkamp, I must admit that I was expecting, uhm well, something more, you know, demonic!

Instead I was treated to 1 hour and 44 minutes of pure rubbish. And what was supposed to be demonic was just laughable. Take heed, horror fans, and don't waste your time, money or effort on "Demonic".

The storyline told in "Demonic" was pointless to the core. This was a movie about a daughters estranged relationship with her mom, that they get to attempt to patch up by means of ludicrous simulated interactive interaction.

And as for this being a horror movie. Nope. Don't even bet on it, this was boring and uneventful.

The acting in the movie was adequate, but the actresses and actors were severely hindered in putting on memorable performances given the fact that they virtually had nothing to work with in terms of an interesting storyline, a proper script, memorable characters or compelling dialogue. No, this was hands down a massive swing and a miss from writer and director Neill Blomkamp.

This is definitely not a movie that I would recommend you bother sitting down to watch. Nor is it a movie that I will ever sit down to waste time upon again.

My rating of "Demonic" lands on a generous two out of ten stars.
16 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unwatchable
arfdawg-11 September 2021
What a bore.

This movie is quite simplu HORRIBLE.

Nothing to recommend. The acting is third rate. The story is a bore and the director does not kknow how to direct at all.

There is no tension, not drama. Just the dreggs.
16 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Give it a skip
ivanisawesome21 August 2021
Feels like a bad Black Mirror episode. I love Blomkamp's work but this was a misfire.
28 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lame is the first word that comes to mind for this Possession failure
manuelasaez28 August 2021
Okay, so let's get this out of the way; I was a fan of Blomkamp. I say WAS because I really enjoyed Distrcit 9 and I adored Chappie, but if this is what he is going to be pumping out from here on out, then I will just revel in his past successes without focusing on any of his future failures.

The film takes a novel approach to demonic possession, we can all agree on that. But then it devolves into the same cliched tripe that befalls all demonic movies; totems, the catholic church, exorcists, the same stupid contortionists used AD NAUSEUM. It's like every Hollywood exorcism movie has the same playbook and I am outright sick of it. There are plenty of other religions that document demonic possession, especially many christian sects like Pentecostals. But to focus on the Catholic church and their archaic and useless ways of battling demons just devolves the sub-genre with each movie featuring the same nonsense. Let's take some inspiration from one of the hundreds of other places and religions instead of always going with the same formulaic drivel. It's time the genre evolves, and this movie is not the one to do it. (INCARNATE was a much more successful film in the sub-genre.)

The special effects are garbage, the characters are mostly likeable and weak, and the film is just not scary. By the end, I just did not care about anything that was going on and anticipated the end credits more than I did the actual end of the movie. It's just not a good movie, people. It does everything it's supposed to for a demonic possession film, with the lamest results possible for such a unique premise.

Oh, and get rid of that lame contortionist. I've seen him in 4 movies this year alone and the trick has been played out after the first. He just isn't scary anymore.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Trailer was very misleading, one of his worst films
dmnhidle-731312 September 2021
Genuinely one of the worst films I have ever seen. Wooden acting, no scares, action from the trailer was the only action in the movie. Priests the only interesting characters and are barely in it. Time and money I won't get back.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Make Blomkamp great again
PedroPires9031 August 2021
Some good ideas here, one interesting scene around the 58 minutes mark and...that's it. It doesn't work as an horror film, it doesn't work as a sci-fi film, it doesn't work as a drama.

Make Blomkamp great again.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WTF, indeed
drobertjordan-078193 October 2021
I can only imagine this was an old and moldy script Neill Blomkamp had lying around, never intending to have it produced. Perhaps under financial pressure or at gunpoint he made a film that would be reasonable from a newcomer, but a real stinker from a great filmmaker like Mr. Blomkamp. His other films had sweeping political implications, incredible futuristic vision, and masterful craftsmanship. This was just barely functional as a standard horror narrative with sci-fi flourish. Go see Re-animator instead.
What happened Neill?
witra_as10 September 2021
A setback for Neill Blomkamp's filmography. In spite of intriguing virtual reality concepts, illogical writing and bland execution were unavoidable. Carly Pope had compelling character arcs but felt trapped in some kind of cheap survival horror game with weak monster.
Disappointing for a Blomkamp movie
foxtografo30 August 2021
It's a shame, but I'll have to agree in that this movie is boring.

There was a single aspect of the movie that was "Blomkamp-esque" but wasn't exploited enough, which is the team from the facility. That could have given so much more action to this slow paced, stretched, repetitive and uninteresting story.

The monster wasn't impressive neither, I guess they tried to make it old school props but it looked too much like a guy in a disguise, and they didn't even play well with the lights and the speed of movement to give an "unnatural" vive to it.

The cinematography, besides the slow pace, was another thing that ruined this movie. The lighting was very unpolished and didn't make the scenes creepy (which I think they should in this case), everything looked cheap and unplanned.

It could definitely use a more arty look, even if Blomkamp uses a realistic style on his movies, in this one it didn't work at all.

The acting is not bad, in general, Martin's was the weakest in my opinion, but didn't ruin anything.

The simulation scenes were interesting but it didn't add much in the end, I don't think it clicked well into the movie as it wasn't really important that it was there.

Overall, quite a mediocre movie, worst I've seen from Blomkamp, including all his short films, which I love and I think many could make some great movies!

I'm a big fan of his creativity, so I'm not going to abandon his work, this looks just like a "hey let's make a movie in lockdown, I'm bored" without putting too much thought on it.
Boring...
Thanos_Alfie28 September 2021
"Demonic" is a Sci-Fi - Horror movie in which we watch a woman visiting her mother after some decades and some terrifying situations occur. The unleash of demons create a horrific place for both the daughter and her mother.

I did not have high expectations from this movie and I was not disappointed by it. It contained very few actual horror scenes without counting jump-scares and the plot was simple but boring at some times and since the duration of the movie was almost two hours these moments looked like a decade of our lives. The direction which was made by Neill Blomkamp who is also the writer was simple and plain without succeeding on creating the actual horror environment for the audience something that had as a result not to be able to relate with his main character. To sum up, I have to say that "Demonic" isn't the best horror movie and I do not recommend anyone to watch it.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Moronic
jaimemedina-3628811 December 2021
This is a snoozfest from start to finish. Blinkamp seems to want to channel Atom Egoyan and the result goes nowhere fast. Never in a hurry to go anywhere, it'll put you to sleep fast. Just don't.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Whatever happened to Neil...
anthproc29 September 2021
Hit the peak early on District 9 & since then has been a steady decline until this...absolute rock bottom. For someone who had so much potential this is finally where it ends.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Blomkamp deserves more credit
michaellorusso20 August 2021
Blomkamp managed to make a unique, fun little horror flick with - a tiny cast and a small budget - during the heart of the pandemic by utilizing new(ish) technology, and a team of mavericks who work primarily on experimental short films. One thing Blomkamp never gets credit for is the sheer originality of his films, and his ability to innovate. This movie may not blow your mind, but I can't say I've ever seen anything like it.
42 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.