Black as Night (2021) Poster

Once bitten twice shy...
CinemaSerf8 October 2021
Yikes, where to start... A young girl (Asjha Cooper) is walking home one night when she encounters some New Orleans vampires feasting on a homeless man. Though attacked herself, she is rescued and then proceeds to show her best friend Fabrizio Guido and school heartthrob Mason Beauchamp her scars, sets about learning how to combat these creatures and soon the trio are formidable mini Van Helsings. If it is trying to draw an allusion with black poverty in New Orleans then it is woefully simplistic in it's approach. If it is trying to be a horror film, then it misses by a mile - indeed were it not for the fact that Beauchamp is quite handsome and Andrew Penrow really quite ridiculous then this film would have precisely nothing to recommend it to anyone. Why Blumhouse churned this dross out is anyone's guess, but it doesn't do anyone any favours on the creative side, nor for any kind of discerning audience.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
New Orleans and homeless vampires.
TxMike2 October 2021
You want a gourmet hamburger, you go to a gourmet hamburger restaurant, it might cost you $20 or $30. You just want a quick snack instead? Then go to a fast food joint and buy a $2 hamburger. It won't be very good but it will quench your hunger for a short while.

That's how it is with Amazon's Blumhouse movies, like this one, "Black as Night". They are like a cheap hamburger, you'd never tell anyone how great they are but can help you pass the time.

This one is set and filmed in New Orleans, much on the West Bank area known as Algiers and much in the New Orleans Garden District. It is the aftermath of hurricane Katrina and many displaced, homeless are being recruited into Babineaux's zombie corps. It is best enjoyed almost as a spoof of horror movies, there are a number of funny scenes. The acting is fine, especially Keith David as the main vampire. The cinematography is excellent, the movie is not to be taken too seriously.

Most of the very negative reviews here say very silly things, like how old the actress is playing a teenager. Things that have no relevance to the story or the quality of the movie. It isn't a great movie but it isn't a terrible one either. It is entertaining for anyone looking for a lightweight vampire movie. I enjoyed it.
20 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't waste your time
tpqfhtt3 October 2021
This movie was a complete waste. Horrible acting, story, and editing. I wish I had my two hours back. Instead of writing a repeat of all the other reviews, I will say they are not wrong. It is horrible. Skip it for sure.
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bring back that bingo movie
johnnyhbtvs271 October 2021
Another poor effort from The Welcome To Blumhouse series.

The lead is supposed to be, say 16, yet is played by a 28 year old actress. The fact is not helped by at least twice people mentioning she 'got breasts' this summer.

The 'good' vampires was totally ridiculous and went absolutely nowhere, the plotting was all over the place, really poor.

Pedro is a contender for most irritating character of 2021, no one in real life hopefully speaks like that.

Also referring to the main character as Wesley after Wesley Snipes because of the darkness of her skin....not cool.
35 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Reaching for the Stars
Neon_Gold12 November 2021
I think that what this movies strides for is important. It uses this as a way to talk about issues that effect people of colour but it wants to be more than it is.

This is a Halloween-teen movie. The message gets lost because this type of film isn't strong enough to carry it.

The writing is bad but it is mostly the dialogue. People who write movies like on earth, they talk to other humans. Why then write characters who don't talk like real humans? It drives me crazy. "Girl, even tho I'm hot I can't fight vampires" that is like paraphrased but it's lines like that! They drive me insane!

It's not as bad as the reviews would have you believe. It's quick and clips along nicely. So even if you don't like it, the credits roll before you know it!
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very Mediocre...
kysta16 October 2021
Went into this with limited expectation off the back of other recent teen horrors/remakes (Fear Street etc), it looked to have everything of interest.

It was underwhelming.

Wasted for a greater story it could of told. Nothing was terrible just very mediocre.

Would i recommend or watch it again? No.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrible
badgyalmelmel1 October 2021
If the plot wasn't lack luster,superficial and stereotypical, this movie would still be bad. The racial undertones are disgusting and disappointing. There is a line in the movie relating the absolutely stunning main character to looking like Wesley Snipes with braids, and the constant theme of colorism throughout the movie without a clear redeeming purpose is shameful. If I could give this movie no stars I would. Flush this one down the toilet Blumhouse. Oh yeah, fun fact a black man wrote this cringe worthy script, Yikes! This seems like the writers internal complex is projecting itself here.
36 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the most ridiculous films I've seen in quite some time
aidanratesmovies1 October 2021
A pretentious soap-opera like teen drama that feels like it has been written by a 5 year old- Black as Night manages to be unconvincing and unoriginal on so many levels despite so much potential. I knew absolutely nothing about this movie going in, and yet I still feel disappointed with it now that it's done. This film is an absolute disaster. The acting is over the top, the dialogue is atrocious, the plot is all over the place and full of plot holes, and the film itself is just so dang messy. It has some interesting concepts along the way, but unfortunately it does absolutely nothing with them, and instead becomes some sort of buffy knockoff with absolutely no charm whatsoever. I wanted to like this movie, I tried to like this movie, but it was honestly painfully bad to watch at times. I physically cringed at a number of scenes, and it's clear that whoever made this film had no idea where they wanted to go with it. Although it may not be based on a book or a remake of a horror film from the past, Black as Night is about as unoriginal as it comes. It tries too hard and fails just the same, it's a nightmare to watch, and not in a good way.

My Rating: 1.1/10.
40 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie is colorist at most
sdsigley3 October 2021
I was disappointed at the movie with the you are to dark to be beautiful but your young enough smh NOPE NOPE NOPE ........
12 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Can you dig it?
kosmasp5 October 2021
Favourably with a wooden stick/stake that is ... deep digging ... wait what? My maybe questionable sense of humor aside, the movie has some Black Lives Matter vibes going for it. You may find this disturbing (for the wrong reasons, pun intended) or you can go with the flow.

Overall a decent effort, that I think has been taken down rating wise because some couldn't handle what the message was overall. Or maybe they were dissapointed by the really terrible ending (last scene) ... that I would understand ... wasn't enough to drag my rating down but hey - we all receive and digest differently don't we? Social commentary is more than fine, it drags in other places. Still Kudos to Blumhouse for allowing movies with a message to be made ...
16 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What Is Wrong With Blum
gab-675991 October 2021
The last movie he did that sucked this bad was Thriller! Not surprising enough it was almost all blk actors. Seems like all of his all white acting movies were above par. I am sick of blum placing blk ppl in the hood when I bet Blum has never even stepped foot in one himself. News flash NOT all blk ppl live in the hood blum and you could do a movie about successful blk ppl but NO! This movie just made me more upset because the first movie, I thought, ok maybe the next one will be good. But now it is like all the fake acting and false emotions he saves for his all blk actors. I am still a blum fan but plz STOP DOING FILMS LIKE THIS! Because you are not the only one who will be shamed here. The girls acting was laughable, her reaction to her mom falling out the window was so stupid. I could go on but just know, this movie is not worth anyone's time!!! Which was sad because the lead was beautiful and her b/f was very handsome. I will say if you made a movie with JUST Pedro in it I would watch because he has flavor and draw. I loved every scene he was in.
26 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worse than I imagined it could be
Jason243211 October 2021
It's hard to explain the various ways in which I hated this movie so I'll just summarise with: don't watch it.
28 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertainment w/ some messaging..
dfields-469723 October 2021
Once again I feel compelled to give a movie a higher rating than I normally would just to balance out the negative ones. For some reason when it's an all-black cast people lowball the ratings it's really shameful! No, the movie is not Nosfaratu but it's not the worst vampire flick I've ever seen. The acting was fine, the only issue I had with the vampires were their eyes, could have been better. Storyline, plot and messaging was on point. Watch it for what it is....entertainment.
24 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst Vampire movie of the decade.
premanandprasad8 October 2021
There is nothing good about this movie. Worst story, worst acting, worst direction.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What's with the colorism?
amyemcdonald-916269 October 2021
Ok. How many times are we going to allude to her being dark skin...by dark skin people?! This is dumb...
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not very good
caldryden1 October 2021
Another movie with white racist remarks,no it's not alright,Usually bloumhouse has some good movies,they are just popping these things out.
31 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lost Boys meets Candyman(the original)
justiceme-434621 October 2021
Wow! This movie has some hate.

Is it going to be the best movie you've ever seen? No. Is it enjoyable? Yes.

Anytime a movie deals with "issues"....for whatever reason it gets so much hate. This movie does touch on that but isn't heavy handed in the way it handles it.

But like the title says, it' feels like a Lost Boys movie mixed with everything the newest Candyman COULD have been...throw in some Buffy for good measure.

You aren't going to be annoyed with music. The effects are OK. The vampire mythos leaves room to expand for a continuation.

I HOPE there's a sequel. I need to see more Fabrizio Guido!!

Just go into this for the ride, not to be scared.
19 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awful movie
funnycommentor15 November 2021
The plot of the movie was ok. The characters were uninteresting. The storyline was so bad-written. In my opinion, it's one of the worst vampire movies I have ever watched. Also, why are the vampire's eyes yellow? They should have been red. Usually, werewolves have yellow eyes. Anyway, the kills were awful. Moreover, it's wasn't intense at all, the final battle was so boring. The ending scene was expected, however I don't think it's gonna have a sequel. The main girl's acting was way better on "There's someone inside your house".
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent colorgrading and location shots,
MostlyHorror4 October 2021
But everything is else was extremly bad, blaxploitation are typically a bad mess but this one took it to a new all low.

Skip it!
11 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How did KEITH DAVID Get in THIS!!😱
mimiybyazphil3 October 2021
Keith David is a fine character actor, he has been in some of my favorite movies, like the masterpiece CRASH. How in HELL did he end up in such a train wreck of a movie!!? It has a plethora on unknown "actors" in it. Maybe he lost a bet, or his mind!?
12 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Vampires, sociology and a bit of wry humor in NOLA
lotekguy-11 October 2021
Ever since the devastation of Hurricane Katrina, and the woefully inadequate efforts to rebuild many residential areas, New Orleans has served as glaring example of income inequality, racism and government stasis. This darkly comic film piles one more problem onto the shoulders of a blighted, mostly minority neighborhood - vampires who feed on junkies and the homeless. From the bloodsuckers' point of view, it's a way to fly (figuratively, if not literally) under the radar, since they're feeding on those least likely to be missed by the authorities. Locals understandably feel otherwise, once they're aware of the situation.

When a teenager (Asjha Cooper) happens to see a group feeding on one poor soul, she tries to intervene, getting bitten in the process. Fortunately a passing car causes the vamps to pull out - suckus interruptus - before she's been drained enough to be killed or turned. She researches the creatures, recruiting a few allies for a more serious version of a Scooby Doo or Nancy Drew counterattack. Casualties occur in a moderately gory battle for the community and our species.

The script by Sherman Payne efficiently packages a nice mix of humor, suspense, action and social messaging. A couple of performances and scenes border on the campy (Keith David, consider yourself warned), but the author's important points land without pontification or other forms of overkill. The trio of plucky protagonists discharge their acting duties as well as their slaying. Better, actually, since they're forced to learn the essential techniques on the fields of battle, with inevitable missteps along the way. Dangerous setting for a long learning curve.

Cooper's performance as actor and narrator is noteworthy, particularly for a relatively new face. As her initially-shy character grows in confidence and determination, she reminds me of another female vampire foe - a younger version of True Blood's Tara Thornton (Rutina Wesley). The film comes from prolific low-budget horror source Blumhouse Productions, and rates as one of their better efforts among those I've seen. They know how to get the most value per dollar of investment.
17 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
horrible
vitorgabriel-563473 October 2021
Another horrible movie from blumhouse. It was a waste of time.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nonsense
dongillette13 October 2021
I was almost certain that the whole blacksploitation thing had ended in the.70's but evidently I was wrong.

Chuck full of stereotypes, this film is complete nonsense. The direction's not bad, the lead actress has promise, but the script is just too stupid for it to get any credence whatsoever.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Subpar horror film not worthy of the Blumhouse brand
paul-allaer2 October 2021
As "Black As Night" (2021 release; 87 min.) opens, a homeless guy who is collecting cans is attacked and killed by 3 vampires. We then are introduced to Shawna, a black teenage girl, and her gay Latino friend. They are getting a suntan on a New Orleans roof top, and we hear Shawna's running voice-over commentary: "The summer I got breasts was the summer I fought vampires", she observes. Later that night, they go to a party and when Shawna walks home afterwards, she is attacked by a vampire... At this point we are 10 min into the movie.

Couple of comments: this is the feature-length debut from (African-American) director Maritte Lee Go. More importantly, this is a Blumhouse Television production with Jason Blum serving as Executive Producer. I typically have enjoyed the Blumhouse horror movies more often than not, as they typically are clever new takes on the horror genre. Alas, "Black At Night" couldn't be further away from that. It all feels second, if not third, rate. If the notion of a homeless guy panhandling for money is your idea of scary, then this movie is just for you! There simply wasn't anything scary at all in the film. What we did get are a bunch of awkward scenes. Check out the dinner scene among Shawna, her brother and her dad. You'll see what I mean. Shawna's quasi non-stop voice-over becomes almost intolerable. I really don't need to be told or explained every second what I am seeing, you know?

"Black At Night" premiered recently on Amazon Prime and is now also available on Amazon Instant Video. If, like me, you feel that the Blumhouse label is (or certainly should) offer a minimum level of quality, it now turns out that is no longer the case. Of course don't take my word for it! Please check out "Black At Night", and draw your own conclusion.
15 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as bad as review would suggest
swalker-173055 October 2021
I get the impression that a large percentage of those who leave reviews are shopping for Mercedes in a lot full of Hyundais. Hasn't been a 10 rated movie made in over 40 years. Best movie made these days is a 7 rating.

This movie is criticized for the age of the lead. Most teens are played by 20 somethings. Unrealistic vampires? It's a vampire movie granted. How do you get realistic vampires? Stick with which vampire clique?

The movie is kind of fun. Not pretentious except for the Katrina references and even some of those are debunked. It'll never win an award, or better not, but who cares.

Enjoy!
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.