The Manor (2021) Poster

(I) (2021)

I thought it would be at least a 5
benzed9 October 2021
I thought it would be at least a 5.

If not for Barbara Hershey I would have rated it 2 or 3.

The first 3 minutes were fine.

Soon on I was annoyed and losing interest. A bit more time I had the thought that I was inflicting punishment on myself by continuing.

Watched till the end.

Either Barbara Hershey is out of money or a Producer or a director is a very close relative or someone called in a favor.

Acting was mediocre. The screenplay, directorial influence, cinematography, CGI, and editing destroyed any possibility of the film from getting any good ratings or reviews.
13 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
As subtle as throwing a church bell into a well
kuarinofu20 October 2021
If they would put just slightly less effort into it the film would've just been 80 minutes of black screen.

Sorry for being negative. The film consists solely of cliches and themes used a thousand times by now in horror cinema. If you have seen any other horror film besides this one, you can predict not only the ending but almost every scene and every line of dialogue. Every hint, every supposed twist we have already seen before.

The story is just slapped together and the film expects you to buy a lot of things. Nobody really bothered with acting either. The composite shot of an elderly man scaling the wall upside down was hilariously cheesy.

The ending was ok, but since 90% of the film felt like waiting in an elevator, it doesn't matter much. The creature make-up was surprisingly good, so I don't think it was made specifically for this film, seems too costly to such a minimal budget whatever-type of film.

This feels like it was made by someone who has never seen a horror film, but checking the director's bio proved me wrong. So, I guess there were other reasons. Maybe Jason Blum just said, "Come on, I got this script I found in the attic from 1995, let's slap something together in a week and make some easy cash".

If you're planning to see this one, and you have seen horror films before, watch the first 10 minutes and you will build every other scene and the ending in your head.
17 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I would have already left the place
rich-heaven19 October 2021
The main character, Judith , would've left the home after two nights. Just ridiculous.

Why , at least add something to the script that isn't so blatantly obvious , and maybe the viewer would think that it's plausible.

And that ending, oh my god, just awful!

I am actually pissed off that I watched this piece in its entirety.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Welcome to the House of...
Xstal11 October 2021
... Feeble, Unoriginal, Night-scares! An ageing dancer unintentionally entombs herself in a home for the elderly only to discover some residents are not what they present. Everything you've seen before although the performances are notable and the special effects far from wooden.
18 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I like Barbara Hershey, but this was like a made for tv movie. :I
midnitepantera8 October 2021
Nothing exciting to see here folks! So if your looking for scary, or good then pass on this.

It may be worth a watch to people who don't like scary horror movies and prefer more of a mystery that's on the bland side of the street.
24 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An entertaining and traditional horror movie...
paul_haakonsen8 October 2021
I wasn't sure what I was in for here, as I sat down to watch the 2021 Amazon Original horror movie "The Manor", but it being a horror movie that I hadn't already seen was actually sufficient enough to make me sit down and watch it. And I have to admit that the movie's cover/poster was definitely helping to convince me to watch it as well.

And as it turned out then writer and director Axelle Carolyn actually managed to churn out a pretty wholesome story here with "The Manor". The writing is pretty good and the pacing of the movie was equally good. I enjoyed the slow build-up of suspense and not really knowing what was going on until well into the movie. So thumbs up to Axelle Carolyn for that.

Visually then "The Manor" is pretty good. This is not a horror movie that relies heavily on special effects or ghoulish creatures, but there is a great atmosphere permeating the movie. And the environment of the house is really spot on, which adds a level of believability to the movie.

Aside from an interesting storyline, then "The Manor" does have some great acting performances, and especially Barbara Hershey (playing Judith) carried the movie phenomenally well with her performance. And the movie also have the likes of Bruce Davidson on the cast list.

If you enjoy a good old fashioned horror movie, then give "The Manor" a chance. I did, and I was genuinely entertained by what the movie delivered.

My rating of "The Manor" lands on a six out of ten stars.
26 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
V Good
atractiveeyes9 October 2021
This is a very good horror film. It's not that scary but it has a beautiful gothic atmosphere with a few scare jumps. The story is a bit stupid but it's also interesting and beautiful. Lead performance is superb. All in all, it's a decent well made horror.
17 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good idea, awful execution
sushicocacola8 October 2021
The concept of the movie is not bad, but the dialogue is cringe from start to finish. The jump scares have no impact. I used fast foward a lot because it was a boring movie.
14 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dry acting. Bad sound. Horrible script
loveglow10110 October 2021
I recognize many of the actors in this movie. But this was extremely boring and dry. Their acting was subpar at best. Montone. Lifetime biopic have better acting. Please don't waste your time. This movie is trash!!!!
10 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring. Plain & simple.
dtlacey788 October 2021
Barbara Hershey is great but that's about it. The whole film feels like it is just about to go somewhere but never actually does.
11 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Can't sleep? Watch this movie
Draysan-Jennings16 October 2021
What's going on with Blumhouse these days. Other then the recent Halloween films almost everything they put out has been pretty bad. I couldn't get into it this film. It was way too slow for me. I turned it off about 30 minutes in. 4 stars.
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring, pointless, full of holes.
kirstiehale9 October 2021
I'm not sure who the target audience was here, but I couldn't connect to any of the characters. The acting was mediocre, the few special effects were so obvious that it was embarrassing. The story was predictable and unoriginal. The only saving grace was the ending going a different way than expected. How come no one could get out of the nursing home, but the grandson just came and went as he pleased without any explanation of how??? It made no sense, nothing was captivating about it, everything that happened I guessed before it actually did. A good movie to put in and talk asleep to, but not very entertaining.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring, slow, unoriginal
costasiero8 October 2021
Firstly the acting is somewhat OK which is why this is a 3 and not a 2...but thats about it.

The directing at points looks like its a romantic film instead of horror/thriller. The constant expected attempts at jump scares are poor and at the end even funny.

Do yourself a favor and skip this.
13 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you go into the woods tonight...
CinemaSerf13 October 2021
Barbara Hershey is quite good as the elderly lady "Judith" whom, after a mild stroke, is placed in a care home. It's an old building, with a friendly staff and her fellow residents all seem nice enough - until, that is, things start to go bump in the night. She is not permitted her cell phone, she has no code for the door to get out - and people are dying. Is it just old age or is something more sinister afoot? Luckily, she has her teenage grandson "Josh" (Nicholas Alexander) as an ally and is soon, though pretty terrified herself, trying to get to the bottom of things. Axelle Carolyn has created quite an effective drama here. There are not so much jump points, as a gently simmering plot as we learn at roughly the same (decent) pace as her what is really going on. Bruce Davison is the local Lothario "Roland" who is keen to be her friend, maybe even more - but is he all that he seems? The ending is daft, no other word for it - but it has the virtue of being quirky and unexpected, and I rather liked it. Not a film you will watch more than once, I would think, but sometimes all it needs is a good lead actor and some decent writing to turn a rotten film into an ordinary one. Hershey, along with some reasonable production effort, does that here and makes this worth a watch if you enjoy the genre.
9 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Blumhouse series best
johnnyhbtvs278 October 2021
Neat little horror film with an ending decision i didn't see coming. A stellar performance from Barbara Hershey (looking great for her age), this is the best of the Blumhouse series of 2021 so far.
10 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Two words, people.
avocadosrbad13 October 2021
Patient. Rights. Movies will always have an unrealistic storyline especially in this genre, but come on?? Good idea, bad execution. It's weird that the family are just turning on her after one week, jeez. Advocate for your family. I love Barbara Hershey's character though, so that was a plus.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad even for TV
snigdha-dk5015 October 2021
The story was bad. Acting was more like a school play. The special effects were very DIY. Production war poor. Everything was abysmal.

I'm not sure how this movie has over 3 stars. Skip it.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WASTE OF TIME!!!
mbaghini7 November 2021
What the F...!!!????

Honestly? Don t watch this movie!!!

Even 1/10 is too much :)))))

Worse movie I saw in 2021 until now!!

Worse history, worse acting, specially last 30 minutes!
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ok at first. Spooky for a bit. Bad ending
nanettemeau25 October 2021
Basically glamorized the evil world.

Barbara Hershey's character seemed to be promising. But found it odd how unreal lacking truth the story shows in her case.

The devil is real and Hollywood is its lunch. Too bad ppl can be so stupid.

Choices.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrible horrible horrible
karinahatem29 October 2021
Not sure where to start, this movie ( if it can be called a movie) was so lame, terrible plot, story line, very poor performance, felt more like watching amateurs. To be added to the list of 10 worst horror movies of all time.
Keep it up Blumhouse.
Horror_Flick_Fanatic21 October 2021
I enjoyed it. I could have loved it more without the Celtic cult nonsense because it was very cliché to me. I think this film is a pretty good horror film for those of us older than 50+. Being forgotten in a place like that home, gradually losing your memory and then to add insult to injury, being mistreated during the golden years is truly a horror. I really loved it the kid for sticking by Judith, his grandmother when even Judith's daughter wrote her off.

I thought Barbara Hershey performance was excellent. I particularly like how they aged her gradually as the movie progressed with makeup. I didn't see it initially until much later in the film because it was so very subtle and the scenes get dimmer and darker and harder to see.

I also like to mention the lady that shared a room with Barbara Hershey. I am not sure if her name is Michele Hart? But her performance was probably the most convincing of them all. I cringed at the way the nurses manhandled her. I think some people my overlook her performance because she is a side character in the film. But I would say that her acting performance was Academy worthy. Yeah I know, this is a Blumhouse horror flick and the Academy dismisses horror films regularly, but she was very good. For those of us who have or had loved ones in a convalescent home, then you will know how real she made that place feel.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Okay movie, but the premise
matthewmillerwriter9 October 2021
I cannot get over the ridiculous fact that a perfectly healthy, vibrant woman, only 70 years old, WANTS to go into a nursing home. That is absurd. Those are horrible places where people go to lose their freedom and die. Who would WANT to do that? It does not fit her character. That alone pissed me off enough to lower my rating.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's boring it's cliché and will leave you empty
diogoferrinho8 October 2021
I don't really understand these movies anymore where everything is about creating a sequel. This movie has potential but it's something that had potential only to leave you empty and thinking - I have rather watched something else! It's not deep enough to create a sequel album it squeezes Very thing it can to do it - bottom line I doubt it will! It's a este of time and money to watch! So predictable...
8 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why did they greenlight this?
jonathan1995-746-92693910 October 2021
I don't think they had the budget to pull this off. The poor writing, CGI, soundtracks, cinematography and acting makes it feel like a movie made on 3 bucks. Laughable plot twist in the end. They could have atleast read the script and realized it sucked.

If you watch this movie you will walk away with nothing of value.
10 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Could have been good but the ending is trash.
TacOfficial235910 October 2021
This had a good premise and I enjoyed the movie until the ending. The ending was so stupid it felt like they just threw away the whole movie. If you like feeling disappointed I recommend this one.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.