Rock of Ages (2012) Poster

(2012)

( American C+Movie ) My Ratings 8/10
Muhammad_Rafeeq17 March 2020
Yes it's true. People panned this movie. But I like a movie to entertain me. I'm totally entertained! The music is good and creative and as a child of the 80's, it's just fun!!! It's not going to be critically acclaimed but it's good fun!!
41 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why do people who hate musicals watch musicals?
sherigeoff1-139-66730825 November 2019
Is this a great film? No. Is this a significant piece of art? No. Is this a good time? Yes!

It's cheesy and raunchy and fun and messy and tacky...just like the era and the music. Tom Cruise does another "I can't believe he's playing this role" turn as Stacee Jax and his voice is just right for an aging rock star who is lost and looking for a sound. I wanted to smack the crap out of Paul Giamatti and that's how I was supppsed to feel.

There is some good stuff in this movie and the cameos from actual rockers make for a great drinking game. It is a musical so if people randomly bursting into song pisses you off, don't watch this. Stay in your sad little bubble.
98 out of 113 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great musical
masonsaul23 March 2019
Rock Of Ages is a great musical that's fun and gleefully ridiculous with an incredible cast who give good performances, especially Tom Cruise who is easily the standout. The great songs and solid pacing help make up for the predictable plot.
26 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable, But Not Great
slightlymad222 November 2017
Can you ring my plan to watch every Tom Cruise movie in order, I come to Rock Of Ages (2012)

Plot In A Paragraph: A small town girl and a city boy meet on the Sunset Strip, while pursuing their Hollywood dreams.q

Tom Cruise steals this movie, like with Tropic Thunder, he is not the lead, but he has the best part and he seems to be having a blast.

I love rock music, especially the rock music played here, and I love musicals, some of my favourite movies are musicals, but I don't love this one. My problem with the movie cosmos down to the two leads, Diego Boneta and Julianne Hough!! They're both gorgeous, OK singers and very, so very bland.

Catherine Zeta Jones, Alec Baldwin, Russell Brand and Bryan Cranston are all fun, but the movie is also plagued by predictability. Of course the 2 leads fall in love. Of course they have heartfelt conversations while standing behind the "Hollywood" sign. Of course they break up because of a misunderstanding. Of course they're back together at the end. Some parts are fun, but overall it's a miss for me!!

Rock Of Ages grossed $38 million at the domestic box office, to end the year the 84th highest grossing movie of 2012.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Negative? Why?
matapo705 January 2019
Negative reviews? Incredible. It's the best musical since Grease. The songs selection is great and Tom Cruise too.
55 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant, finally a musical worth watching
springstone9 November 2012
I feel compelled to submit a review for this movie, purely because some of the atrocious reviews I've seen contributed by others.

To give context, I grew up in the 80s and 90s, and pretty much know all the songs backwards - surprisingly... decades later. I did not grow up in LA, or the States for that matter, but I most certainly grew up with just about every song played in this movie.

I absolutely hate musicals. With a passion. So, even though my friends encouraged me to watch this movie, I resisted. Eventually I caved, and all I can say is that I absolutely loved the movie! My wife loved the movie, but in all honesty, our 10 year old thought it was OK - purely because she didn't know any of the songs.

If you love rock, and grew up with 80s rock, this movie is for you. This movie isn't called Rap of Ages or Pop of Ages or R&B of Ages or Classical Music for the Ages... it's called Rock of Ages. Reviewers posting they walked out after 15 minutes, really shouldn't contribute here. And quite frankly, you need to have a serious problem if you are analyzing the actors voices with respect to the original artists. This movie is good fun, and true to the times...

This movie is THE musical for all rockers out there! Absolutely wonderful fun for the family, with a stellar performance from the entire cast. A good couple of chuckles in there, and if you're over 35 years old... I dare you to not sing along with some of those classics. With so much rubbish coming out of Hollywood to keep the nay-sayers busy with their critical reviews, this is a refreshing change.

If rock is not your choice of music, skip this movie... but if you grew up in the 80s, you should appreciate the music, fun and experience portrayed in this movie.

This movie rocked!
151 out of 198 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hit me with your best shot!!
davispittman9 March 2015
This movie is not flawless, but it is very energetic and fun. If you hate 80s music, then you might as well stop reading this now, cus from beginning to end it's 80s rock music. The sound of the songs in the musical numbers are incredible!! Very sharp and well sung by all the actors, some that I had no idea could sing! Catherine zeta jones was probably my favorite part of the whole movie! She was loads of laughs and fun. It did drag for just a bit in the middle, but it quickly picked itself back up, because the ending is one of my favorite endings in a move ever!! This flick is definitely not for the whole family, but I think the teens and adults will like it. Especially people who grew up in the 80s.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Bad At All
AlainAKoningverdraag26 June 2012
What is there to say? This is a musical comedy about love, rock, music industry absurdities, complete with aging god-of-rock-at-the-very-lonely-top, with the cast actually singing quite well... I enjoyed every minute of it.

Ignore the bashers. Ignore the thin plot. Ignore the complaints about the movie not being what a musical should be - when compared to such and such another movie. Just sit back, take it with a grain of salt, and enjoy, the very nicely mixed-into-medley 80's Rock 'n Roll hits; all extravagantly presented for your entertainment.

The movie is worth your time; if only for the breath of fresh air that it provides, and of course, that priceless Ga-Ga-puppy-eyed-look of Julianne Hough when up close and personal with Tom Cruise's Stacee Jaxx. That was money all by itself.

Tom Cruise was excellent as rock-god; Julianne Hough did a believable sweet & innocent-small-town-girl-in-love. Alec Baldwin's character did slightly weird me out, in a funny way.

The movie rocks.
97 out of 151 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's fun Summer Fare, Enjoy !
Broadway169719 June 2012
I saw the Broadway play with the original cast and had a great time. The movie didn't disappoint me either. A cheesy love story tied together with great music from the hair band 80's was on purpose. Re-living that era, priceless. Go. Enjoy. This will definitely become a cult favorite in future years, bless 'em for preserving some amazing rock history. Ignore the professional critics, go have fun!

This is my first review attempt on IMDb, with hopes this helps those who are turned off by People, EW, local and national news professional (aka, paid) reviewers. I'm a pop culture junkie and a grandma, I don't always agree with the pros. I'm sorry Rock of Ages had a poor box office start out of the gate, but hopefully my little review piece will bring some fun to those clinging to their entertainment dollars. Great party experience!
267 out of 356 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Gonna Take it Anymore
ferguson-617 June 2012
Greetings again from the darkness. A few upfront disclosures are in order: I spent quite a few evenings on the Sunset Strip during the era of this story; I had no idea who Diego Boneta was and only vague name recognition of Julianne Hough when I walked in; and I never saw the hit Broadway production. These points may help explain my reaction to the movie.

The opening sequence immediately informs us that we are in for something different. Aspiring singer Sherrie Christian (Ms. Hough) is running from her backwoods Oklahoma life to the bright lights of fame offered by Hollywood. While on the bus, we get the first of an endless stream of staged karaoke routines ... "Sister Christian" (get it??). Once on Sunset Boulevard, she is quickly mugged and then comforted by Drew (Mr. Boneta), an aspiring singer and current barhop at The Bourbon, an obvious nod to such hallowed rock ground as Whisky A Go Go and Roxy.

No need to spend much time discussing plot. There is a muddled love story filled with teenager dreams and miscommunication, and a financial crisis at The Bourbon, thanks to back taxes owed by manager Dennis Dupree (Alec Baldwin), and a political backlash against the club thanks to the Mayor's wife (Catherine Zeta-Jones), who has a not so secret need for revenge. The only way to save the club is for rock idol Stacee Jaxx (Tom Cruise) to play a gig. The only way to save the love story is to write it out of the film all together. The political agenda is simply an excuse to add two more excruciating karaoke numbers.

What little fun there is in the movie is thanks to Cruise, Baldwin and Russell Brand, who plays Baldin's sidekick and confidant. Cruise jumps into the Jaxx role with both feet and seems to understand that a parody should be fun. Being a rock idol isn't far removed from being the biggest movie star on the planet, so Cruise blends Axl Rose and Bret Michaels to create Jaxx ... throw in a pet baboon, two He-men bodyguards, an endless train of groupies, and a dragon codpiece ... and you get Stacee Jaxx, legendary rock star.

If one is going to make a rock 'n roll movie, it either needs to be played straight (Almost Famous) or as a head-on parody (This is Spinal Tap). What it can't do is celebrate the dead zone of lameness: lame music covered by lame singers playing lame characters. No amount of star power actors can overcome material that doesn't capture the power and passion of the music. And we aren't even talking real rock n roll here ... this is glam rock, stadium rock, big hair bands. Yet, the movie still falls incredibly short of making a statement or providing insight or even entertainment.

Cruise's performance generates some laughs, as do Baldwin and Brand. However, Hough and Boneta aren't even cringe-worthy. They have no screen presence and neither belong in a rock movie. Maybe the real problem is that most of the songs in the movie have survived these 25 years because of their mediocrity ... they can easily be sung while intoxicated. Evidently that's not enough for a decent movie.
165 out of 329 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Makes me miss the 80's big time!
littlewingsam5 January 2015
I have no clue why I just saw this recently. Saw it on a trailer for a Star Trek DVD or something, not sure and was like, this could be bad, or it could swing the cool way. Since I LOVE all the actors in it. My husband and I bought it on VUDU. It was a fun, energetic flashback to my high school years. Man, we dressed so much cooler. There is no real ROCK and ROLL anymore. If you hate musicals, don't see it. If you are a movie, actor, geek like me or just want a a flick to put you in a great mood and make you sing Def Leopard, Journey and Extreme for days, get it! The whole cast did a great job with everything. I really like seeing Tom Cruise do these "character" parts. He is awesome. Watch it.
50 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nothing' But A Good Time!
DJKwa24 June 2012
While perhaps overlong, the film is packed with rocking music and a game cast that keeps the energy going and you'll be hard pressed not to be swept up in it. It's loud and over the top but it embraces its absurdity that would normally have characters breaking into song at almost any moment feel unnatural to say the least. With almost non-stop music and most characters having a moment in the spotlight through a song, Rock of Ages is a perfectly entertaining movie with a performance from Tom Cruise like no other that carries most of the film's laughs.

Noting the disappointing box office performance of the film, it can be credited to an unfocused marketing campaign that had trouble selling the film's admittedly flimsy and predictable story and not highlighting the main characters in the film, particularly as the film is driven by its two youngest stars. This would of given audiences something tangible to be attracted to. Instead it advertised through the cheesy line 'nothin' but a good time' packing it's advertisements with the stars and the music but never seeming like a 'must see' specifically considering the talent involved
28 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Absolute Delight
chicagopoetry1 July 2012
Take Spinal Tap, Mamma Mia and Almost Famous, wrap them all together and play it with a face as straight as a razor, and you have Rock Of Ages. I haven't laughed this hard in ages. For those who expected something serious, when Tom Cruise literally sang into the butt of a woman, that should have been a giveaway that this movie shouldn't be taken seriously. I think the problem most people have is that it's all played with such a straight face that it's not obvious this is a comedy. It also helps if you are familiar with the music, even better if you grew up with the music. For those who complain the cast doesn't sing as well as the original artists, that's the point. All these songs exist these days only in karaoke bars. That's part of the fun. Did the guys from Wayne's World sing Bohemian Rapsody as well as Queen? It seems with this one you either get it or you don't. I can see, if you don't get it, how this can come off as one of the worst musicals of all time. But if you get it, the fact that this is the worst musical of all time IS THE POINT. It is absolutely hilarious. I honestly haven't laughed this hard since I re-watched Slapshot for the umpteenth time. This movie is nothing short of brilliant.
35 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's not meant to be taken seriously!
Darth_Osmosis28 May 2018
Absolutely fantastic musical about the golden days of hair-metal. Great cast, great selection of songs and a funny plot that maybe is a bit too cliche, but it's kind of the point! Tom Cruise as an Axl Rose send up alone, is freaking hilarious and I love Axl and GN'R! Great movie!
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Movie's a Bore but the Music (and Stacee Jaxx) Rocks
brando64715 January 2013
I'm not really a fan of musicals. There are a few I've enjoyed enough to see fit as additions to my collection (e.g. ACROSS THE UNIVERSE) and I've enjoyed some of the old Rogers and Hammerstein films. As a general rule, I don't seem to find much enjoyment in movie musicals for a few reasons, most of which I'll spare you here. But there is one glaringly painful problem I have with movie musicals and ROCK THE AGES happens to suffer from it more than any other musical I've seen: the lip syncing. I hate poorly done lip-syncing and this movie is chock full of it. Right from the start, it's enough to rip me out of the movie. ROCK OF AGES is a musical that I expected to love. The cast was impressive, the music selection was amazing, and I maintain the '80s as one of my guilty pleasures. I was born in the early '80s and so the decade has a pretty special place in my mind. I was really hoping this movie would be a super fun look back at a decade of excess, bizarre fashion, and great music. When the reviews began to roll in and the word was primarily negative, I knew this wouldn't be one to catch in theaters. Instead, I waited until the eventual home video release and I'm glad I did. Based on the stage show of the same name, the movie is about a small- town girl who moves to Los Angeles in search of her big break. She finds a job waitressing at the Bourbon, an L.A. music hot spot, and finds love with an aspiring musician as the '80s and it's music come to an end.

The casting in this movie is hit and miss, with a whole lot of misses. Let's start with our leads: Diego Boneta (as Drew Boley) and Julianne Hough (as Sherrie Christian) as our small- town girl and city boy. I have no problem with movies casting unknowns, but these two did absolutely nothing for me. Hough is apparently best known for her time on TV's "Dancing with the Stars" and Boneta is a musician/actor popular in Mexico. Hough does well enough but brings absolutely nothing extra to her role (aside from a fine singing voice and some pole-dancing talent), which is a shame seeing as how she's the female lead. Boneta is just horribly miscast. Drew is supposed to be an aspiring rock star. He's supposed to embody '80s rock-and-roll and the passion of the music. Instead, he's a pretty boy that looks completely out of place. Watching him try and put on a rocker's attitude and strut around on stage, slinging a guitar, is laughable. He seems more at home in the '90s boy band parody Z Guyeezz in the later half of the movie than at any point when he's trying to be Wolfgang von Colt. The best hope is the supporting cast and, for the most part, they do a great job of saving what of the movie they can. With one exception: Alec Baldwin. Baldwin can be funny, and he has some good material here. But he just doesn't fit. He comes off as an old man trying to run with the cool young crowd, and the little singing he does is cringe-worthy.

The rest fare pretty well: Catherina Zeta-Jones, Paul Giamatti, Malin Åkerman, Russell Brand (who looks completely at home in the movie), and Mary J. Blige (one of the most talented vocal talents in the movie, for obvious reasons). The best part of the movie by far is Tom Cruise as Stacee Jaxx. I never would've guessed Cruise had it in him to play a rock legend, but the man is awesome. Jaxx is the best part of the movie and, if the whole movie had been focused on his character, it would've been a million times more entertaining. Cruise may be a weird dude in his personal life but the guy's got talent. Cruise is given the chance to perform songs by Bon Jovi, Guns N Roses, the Scorpions, and Def Leppard and he pulls them all off perfectly with rock star flair. Which leads me to the best part of the movie: the music. With bonus points for some creative choreography, the music is the only reason to check this movie out. Any fans of the '80s rock era will love the soundtrack to the film. I would've given the movie a lower rating but I can't help but enjoy the movie, especially when I'm not really paying attention to it. The best way to watch this movie is to let it play in the background and just enjoy the tunes.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Seriously, some of you people need to get out more!
Rob_Taylor22 November 2012
I can't believe the bad reviews this movie is getting. Sure, it will never get any awards, but come on! When I hear people complaining about the plot in a musical I just have to shake my head in disbelief. Wait! Is this a musical? Why yes, it is! So why are people complaining about the plot when the music is all that matters.

Do you people not recognize parody when you see it? All I can say is, if you voted this as less than a 6 star movie, then fun hit the highway in your lives a long time ago.

RoA is pure fun. It isn't at all serious, It isn't meant to have a deep story. You are meant to switch off your brains and let the music wash over you. If you treat it as anything other than that then you shouldn't be watching it in the first place, you naughty killjoys, you!

I lived through the 80's. It was perhaps the best decade of my life, and the worst, but it was never forgettable. Not for a minute. So lighten up and stop complaining about everything. Life is too short.

SUMMARY: Fun, fun, fun, fun! Music! More fun! More music! Dancing! More fun and yes, yet more music! Despite the terrible ratings, it IS good if you love the 80's. Other musical tastes' mileage may vary.
13 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Give this movie a chance
AleksandrBelenko6 August 2021
It is a cheesy movie with predictable plot.

Now, when we agreed on that I think acting, especially Tom Cruise's, is on the point. And surely other actors were amazing. The music in the movie is obviously a classic, but the show that the movie presents, levels each song up. I was vibing all the way, while watching the film.

And by the IMDB score I expected it to be so much lamer.

So give this movie a chance.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Was not quite the Rock of Ages, but close
Joshsports602 May 2012
*There are no real spoilers in this review, just some minor plot details.

I had the privilege of being able to see this at an advance screening a couple of months ago. Just to let you know, I have never seen the Broadway show, so I can't compare the two.

On one hand, Tom Cruise stole the show as he always does. He plays the role of aging rocker Stacee Jaxx, tasked with saving the Bourbon Room from the villainous Patricia Whitmore's (Zeta-Jones) wrath. He has a killer voice, and he shared some great chemistry with journalist Constance Sack (Malin Akerman). I think everybody is going to love those two together.

On the other hand, the two lovebirds Sherrie Christian (Julianne Hough) and Drew Boley (Diego Boneta) just did not bring a lot of chemistry. And their acting ability is so far inferior to the likes of the Cruises, Baldwins, and the Giamattis of the world. And when they are the leads, it kind of brings down the movie a little bit. The singing was great, but isn't that the standard for musicals? I would've preferred Brittany Snow be cast alongside the original Drew Constantine Maroulis. Even though I have not seen the original play live, I've seen numerous of his performances either live or on the computer.

Another critique I have is that the whole thing is a little too much. This film felt a little busy to me. I almost wish someone would have told Adam Shankman to tone it down a little because it fizzled a little towards the end.

The musical numbers in were just incredible. As someone in the younger generation, I don't believe I could appreciate the the 80s music as much as the people born in the later 1950s, 1960s, and early 1970s. But, make no mistake, every single number was executed pretty well. I happened to like the performances more than Shankman's previous musical, Hairspray.

It was legitimately funny. Even if you don't like Tom Cruise personally, he kills it in every movie he's in. His scenes are the best. I was also impressed by the performances of Alec Baldwin, Russell Brand, and Paul Giamatti. Even singer Mary J. Blige got involved.

This is a movie that is some big time fun. It's not for everybody, as the person sitting next to me reminded me of. But if you liked Shankman's Hairspray, then you'll probably have a place for this one in your heart too.

Kudos to Adam Shankman and Chris D'Arenzio (creater) for achieving what they wanted to accomplish.
111 out of 188 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Light on Story but Performances and Music Are Fun
Michael_Elliott21 June 2012
Rock of Ages (2012)

*** (out of 4)

Good, loud and fun adaptation of the Broadway hit has small town girl Sherrie (Julianne Hough) and city boy Drew (Diego Boneta) becoming friends and falling in love while trying to make their dreams come try in Los Angeles during the late 80s. Also hitting the town is a club owner (Alec Baldwin) trying to save his establishment while the rock legend Stacee Jaxx (Tom Cruise) thinks about where his career is going. ROCK OF AGES has pretty much no story and there's no question that your take on the music is going to determine how much you enjoy the picture but for the most part I think the film was a minor success thanks in large part to some terrific performances. Again, if you're looking for a strong story then you're not going to find it here as everything is pretty predictable from start to finish. However, I guess it would be fair to say that most people are coming for the music and I think the majority of the songs work just fine. The soundtrack includes covers of Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Joan Jett, Poison, Journey, Foreigner, Night Ranger, REO Speedwagon, Pat Benatar, Twisted Sister, Poison, White Snake and many others. I'm not a major fan of any of these groups/people because my main interests are the late 60s and 70s rock but I think for the most part the cast did good versions of their tunes. Some of the stand outs include Pour Some Sugar on Me, Every Rose Has Its Thorn, I Love Rock and Roll and a monster mix of We Built ThiS City and We're Not Going to Take It. I found Hough to be extremely pretty, charming and believable in her part and her take on the music was also fresh. I found her story to be incredibly silly but the actress still made you care about her character. Boneta was also extremely good in his part as is Paul Giamatti, Russell Brand and Baldwin in theirs. Mary J. Blige, Catherine Zita-Jones and Malin Akerman are also good in their parts. The real standout is of course Tom Cruise who is 100% believable in the part of the rock star as he nails the entire sex, drugs and rock and roll of the character. The wonderful performance makes you feel as if you're really looking at a star and the funny touches the star brought to the part just added to the fun. It also didn't hurt that he had a perfect voice for his music numbers. The majority of the sets are fun and the rock numbers are also well staged. ROCK OF AGES stills falls short of being a great film and I think the majority of this is due to the unoriginal story and perhaps some of it is due to the songs, which aren't exactly the greatest pieces of music ever written. Still, they're fun enough and I think this film at least proves that rock and roll is here to stay.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great comedic look at rock n roll
PlumBallz19 June 2021
A fun, silly parody of rock and roll. Story isn't mind blowing. But there's classic rock, good actors and over the top visuals. If you love rock and roll you'll have a fun time here.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't stop believing
abcvision13 January 2013
If you have seen the musical Rock of Ages, then the movie follows in the same path as the well known Broadway show. Filled with nostalgic rock melodies this movie takes you back to a simpler time. The movie has a star studded cast in Tom Cruise, Catherine Zeta-Jones, and Alec Baldwin. Some fun whimsical scenes of dance numbers that was fast pace and entertaining. The basic premise of the story is of a young girl Sherrie Christian (Julianne Hough) venture to Hollywood to seek her fame and fortune. There is brought into a world of broken dreams where she crosses paths with rock star Stacee Jaxx (Tom Cruise). A good story about the hope of tomorrow and to never "stop believing", Rock of Ages rocks on.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm 60, I want to have some fun, and this movie was fun
joycebaker-401-5787819 June 2012
I'm 60, I want to have some fun, and this movie was fun. It put me right in the Bourbon Room audience, blithely wearing the tasteless and bizarre outfits that I couldn't wear because I was setting a standard of decorum for my kids in those days, and embarrassing them was anathema. It features a period of Rock (1987) when the genre was flanked by inane crap "music" aimed at the 13-16 year olds I was raising. Fortunately they didn't bite. This movie features the memorable music of the decade that my grandson is now still honoring. This music and that of the late 60's and early 70's helped me as a beleaguered working mom "Rock" through a day of commutes, housework, and culture shock. I don't "get " the focus on plot and antics that some of the more "serious" reviewers are stroking themselves with. I paid $8.00 and didn't fancy myself being at a rock concert or a stage play, but I got all of that feel and more. I would have paid $30 just to see Baldwin grunged, and desperate but hopeful. Cruise's character looked shaky at first. But as usual, in trademark style, he starts off blasé and then explodes into passion and surprise. Paul Giamatti and Zeta-Jones were fun to despise in their hypocrisy. Hough and Boneta were fresh, talented and beautiful. Mary J. Blige (Justice Charlier) was superb, and although I never "got" Russell Brand before, he was the most fun of all. Leave your pretense at home. PLOT!? Yada Yada. If you are pushin' or draggin' 60, go pig out on some Italian and party with "Rock of Ages".
176 out of 251 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best musical movie ever!
Irishchatter21 June 2015
Oh sweet Lord, this is the best movie I've ever seen in a while!

Tom Cruise, I swear, I thought someone was singing from him since he always plays in action movies, I was wrong. Man, he totally juiced it! For someone that you don't normally hear a song coming out of their mouth was just brilliant. It's mind blowing!

The songs were great even if I don't know some of them. I found them all so refreshing and you just wanna dance the whole night long! I have to admit, I thought the band that Drew was set up with, we're just too much to listen to cause really you heard it all before. I'm not dissing pop but I think they are very much stealing that song off best boybands like Backstreet Boys or Take That.

Ladies and gents, rock on!
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lots of good intention but poor execution
ethanbresnett14 May 2021
There's a lot to love and enjoy about Rock of Ages. Like most musicals, it has a great buzz and electric feel to it. You can't help but finish this film with a big smile on your face and its a very feel good comfort experience.

The production value was also great, from the sets to the costumes, everything felt realistic and just looked cool.

Then there's the key part of any musical, the songs. You can't fault the selection, there were numerous classics which just kept on coming. Maybe a little too much.

I couldn't help but feel like there were just too many songs. There wasn't any time to take a breather and the story wasn't allowed to develop outside of the music. As a result I couldn't find myself connecting to any of the characters and I feel like there was a lot of missed opportunity to develop the plot and characters because of the amount of songs.

This wasn't the only problem with the plot... it was all over place. Was this film about Sherry, Drew, Stacee Jaxx, Patricia, Lonnie and Dennis? Who knows. There was too much sharing of the spotlight, and the constant changing of perspectives and protagonists started to give me whiplash. I think things would have benefitted from having a more obvious and clear protagonist to root for and follow, which would have given the film more drive and direction.

I also had mixed feeling about the characters. What Russell Brand was doing with his sporadic Brummie accent I'll never know. He's never been a great actor, and the accent just made everything so much worse. The two "main" characters of Sherrie and Drew were also pretty bland and I wasn't that fussed about them. Tom Cruise on the other hand, what a surprise. Easily the best thing about this film. He threw himself into this role and it massively paid off. It's worth watching for him alone.

Finally, as much as I liked the selection of songs, the singing wasn't always on point and was quite obviously auto tuned to a heavy extent for some of them. I think musical films need to start finding a better balance between casting big names to get bums on seats, but also casting actors who can sing.

Rock of Ages is definitely fun, and any musical lover will find lots to enjoy here. I did however find it to be quite messy and overcrowded with one dimensional characters and too many songs. Lots of fun, but not a great film.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An epic comedy/musical with lots of great 80's music!
During the summer of the past year, my brother went to see this by himself while I went to see Pixar's Brave (great film, btw) with my cousins. After we watched those films, he wished I would've been there to see it with him since he liked it. So, later, during Christmas near the end of 2012, we both got this movie on our DVD copies and hoped that we might watch it. I watched it and was enthralled by it. OK, it's not an excellent film, but it's one of the better ones (The Hunger Games, John Carter, The Avengers, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, etc).

The story, based on the musical, is pretty much epic with an original love story and some comedic bits that would make you either chuckle or laugh. The characters, although utilized, are likable enough and has a great cast of actors. Catherine Zeta Jones is sassy as the mayor's wife, Alec Baldwin is great as Dennis, Russell Brand is a wise-cracking Lonny and Mary J. Bilge did fine as Justice, but Tom Cruise steals the show as the steel rocker Stacee Jaxx. His character is hilarious and enjoyable to watch. I think there isn't anything to fault the romance between Julianne Hough and Diego Boneta which was very cute.

The direction from Adam Shankman (the guy who borough us "Hairspray") is fine, the look of Los Angeles is a sight to see and it has a great camp value, but the best part about the movie would have to go to the usage of the 80's music songs which are by far memorable to listen to.

Overall, Rock of Ages isn't exactly the best movie of the year, but like I said before, it's one of the better ones despite it's mixed reception and I'm recommending this to those who grew up in the 80s and to those who haven't seen it. Go watch it! It's that good!
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.