Day Shift (2022) Poster

(2022)

The 90s are back... Sort of...
Idle_Hands0812 August 2022
It must now have been long enough that the 90s action films are considered "classics" as this is one of those good time movies that could have been released in 1996 alongside From Dusk Till Dawn... Although I just don't think the professional screen writers are currently hitting the mark... I mean we have the technology... Unsane was filmed on an iPhone 6 a few years back...!!! But it all comes down the story, great actors and directors can't really fix that...?!!

I wish more studios, like this film however, were not afraid to give a good new action flick an R18+ Rating so the action can be turned up to 11... It wastes no time setting up the premise and utilises CGI to enhance the creature effects and action sequences well.

It's not a perfect film by any means... But it knows what it is trying to be... the story, the dialogue and the writing in general are average. But you do get... Crazy characters, a good guy trying to make ends meet, some comedy and lead character banter, Just some 'ol B-grade good fun really...

It's a shame though, just like with 'Night Teeth' or 'Project Power' the potential is there... But we end up with a fairly generic throwaway action comedy...
184 out of 242 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
James Foxx is Always Good
tkdlifemagazine12 August 2022
Watchable but not great Jamie Foxx Action, vampire comedy. Foxx is always very watchable and good. Dave Franco and Snoop Dog make for a a great comedic element. The story of a down and out pool cleaner working the "Day Shift" to kill day walking vampires is ok. The action and fighting are laughable but fun to watch. This blends elements from "From Dusk to Dawn", and "frightening Night", as well as some buddy cop films. It passed the time, but not much more.
95 out of 142 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A bit of fun, but mostly a trashy poor excuse of vampire movie with bad acting
namob-4367312 August 2022
To no surprise to anyone this kinda suck. It is not unwatchable though so if you just want to have a few beers and relax with nonsense for a while, this is not the worst thing you can watch.

Snoop is fun, there are a few great fight sequences, and I even chuckled a couple of times. This is also something we have seem a million times which mostly is a bad thing, but it also means that you know what you are getting. Watching this movie is like eating at McDonalds.

This movie fails when people talk and the poor excuses for actors are trying to act out scenes. The script and the casting is pretty bad.

As said, you can do worse but I cannot recommend this. 4/10.
186 out of 292 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Way better than expected
karinahatem13 August 2022
Well, this turned out to be a good entertaining action movie. Some will find it too bloody, which it is, but I kinda enjoyed it I also liked the story. This was a well executed action movie, super packed with action from beg till end, story wise, they could have done a better job.
120 out of 194 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Honestly...
elgrampo7719 August 2022
...Snoop & Jamie in one movie AND killing vampires - what else do you need? Who cares about the plot or anything else.

Add the great soundtrack and really well done fight scene with some innovative takes, which is really hard to do these days, when you mostly have the feeling that you have watched every fighting move possible. Great entertainment!
64 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Vampires. Blood. Mayhem. Cheesy.
star_hazard13 August 2022
This is far from masterpiece especially with all the plotholes and disconnected information and cheesiness but overall I feel that it delivered on entertainment.

I like the dynamic of Bud and Seth much like the movie Bright and Hitman Bodyguard. The action is also great albeit some wonky cgi here and there but it is fast and there's some actual choreo into it. The ridiculousness adds the fun like those Fast Furious where some scenes are just over the top but that's the point of it. Can't help but laugh because it's so stupid especially how non chalant most of the characters are or even the situation is.

The premise isn't anything new. They did add some of their vampire lore in there but it barely scratched the surface to warrant an applause.

Anyhow they didn't skimp on the gore. Snoop Dogg scenes. All scenes of Seth. Those are pluses for me. And I was entertained. Brain off movie.
75 out of 115 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's a fun film
nathanchasewomack23 August 2022
IMDB never ceases to entertain me with people "critiquing" movies as if they are seasoned students of film working for Roger Ebert reviewing Academy Award nominated films;/ aka 'serious films'. Lighten up. This movie checks all the Netflix cinematography boxes. All of their big budget films pay huge salaries up front to get a-list stars because they will not get a % of ticket sales. So, they have to cut $ from production & the end result is very bright color saturation, cheap sets & even cheaper cgi effects. The movie reminded me of a beloved 80's movie of mine, Return Of the Living Dead. It's equal comedy & camp as it is horror & gore. Jamie & Dave do what they do best. It's nowhere near award level stuff but it is highly entertaining if you like this kind of genre. It's not the type if movie you critique however. Jeez louise.
32 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
probably would have been crap if no stars in it
K_Rad8827 August 2022
It's a fun movie with good effects and a lot of laughs - I watched it on a whim but usually I'm into more actual horror.

I enjoyed the concept, as always Dave Franco plays a dag but it works really well for him. Snoop is a legend and a total badass, and you'd expect nothing less from him.

Jamie Foxx is great, well the entire cast is great. Did we always have to use 600 characters to write these reviews???

Like my title says, if it wasn't star studded it honestly probably wouldn't have been as good as it was, but that's true for many movies I suppose.

Watch if you have 2 hours to kill and no real expectations of a Vampire Hunting movie.
20 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic choreography... otherwise lacklustre.
lmahesa13 August 2022
As per the title, the choreography was excellent - an easy 9/10. There was some impressive drone work as well, which is obvious if you're looking for it - detractors will be happy that there isn't very much. As for everything else...

Sets: pretty boulevard scenery, good basements, and a shockingly poor set deep underground.

Story: rudimentary and predictable.

Dialogue: piss poor, mostly forced, and stilted delivery by the lead.

Natasha Liu Bordizzo stood out. I've never seen her before, and she did well in this with what she was given. I look forward to seeing more of her work.

Snoop... was just being Snoop.

Dave Franco was fun, but his character was an embarassingly obvious flip of the standard 80s/90s token black guy. I'm a non-American Asian, btw, so I have no juice in that game.

Overall, a watchable throwaway movie that could have been better.
61 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Blood & Mayhem in a Lightweight Horror Comedy
zameerpro12 August 2022
Dramatically, this is too bad, as first-time director J. J. Perry looks to have given this opportunity everything he's got action-wise. Perry long has been one of the busiest and most accomplished fight choreographers/stunt coordinators/second unit directors in the business; the Fast and Furious and John Wick series are merely among the most recent of his couple of decades of credits. On the basis of the evidence here, it's clear that Perry certainly knows how to shoot heavy-duty action. Unfortunately, there's precious little sense or coherence to the storytelling, so it remains to be seen what Perry could do with better constructed and more engaging material.
70 out of 107 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Training Day - Vampire comedy version - as bad as it sounds
joebloggscity13 August 2022
Short & not so sweet review. This simply 'sucks' but not in a good vampire way.

Jamie Foxx must be wondering what has happened to this film. It's basically a Training Day with vampires & comedy etc... BUT it's not funny, not scary/jumpy or whatever else.

It really is just a schlock dumb movie for Saturday night kicks for teens, and maybe it will work for them. The vampires seem to know kung-fu and it's bish-bosh-bash!

Not for me. Forget it....
84 out of 167 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Utter Crapola
rtbradford13 August 2022
I love vampire flicks and I like Jamie Fox, so I was looking forward to this movie. But unfortunately it's bad. REALLY bad. The dialogue is just so awful that it makes the movie difficult to watch. There's barely any acting; the plot is so thin it's not really a plot and the vampire lore is just pitiful and incidental to the very trite storyline. It's hard to enjoy it because it's just so stupid. I guess Netflix is so desperate for content that they'll green light any script at this point.
134 out of 231 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun to watch
LincolnSixEko12 August 2022
Look, Im not into vampire movies. At all. But I do like horror, action, and comedy. And I like Jamie Foxx. He's a good actor and has fun playing the character. Plus, we got Snoop in here too.

The acting, writing and story are actually pretty good. The pacing is done really well and it didn't feel like a 2hr movie. The directing is what I'm always concerned about with modern action scenes, (shaky cam, tons of quick cuts). This movie doesn't fall into those annoying trends. It's nowhere near as smooth as John Wick, but you can still see whats happening.
47 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sometimes you just need a good, dumb, action-filled vampire hunting buddy cop movie
Cr0wgrrl13 August 2022
This is that movie. It's not deep, and the dialogue's not Shakespeare, but the chemistry's good, the actors are having fun, some of the world-building is neat, and the fights are bloody nuts. You can tell the director used to be a stuntman because damn, some of the setups and choreography are impressive. Jamie Foxx and Dave Franco are having a lot of fun, and it shows.

After an action-based start, the movie slows down, but it picks up again soon enough. The good news is, there's a lot more Snoop Dogg than the five-second cameo I was expecting out of this. The bad news is, I could easily have watched a hell of a lot more minutes than we got.
64 out of 110 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
good old-fashioned fun
girin11412 August 2022
This is exactly the type of Friday genre-flicks I want Netflix to be making

silly ridiculous humor + stylish vampire hunting action = max fun 🎃💀

P. S. would make a perfect double feature with 2011 Fright Night.
60 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amateur direction and script ruined it
ashfordofficial13 August 2022
Cool visual and practical effects. The chemistry between Jamie Foxx and Dave Franco was fun watch. The vampire killing scenes were so fantastic and engaging to watch; thanks to the involvement of Chad Stahelski.

The pacing, poorly written script and the amateur direction threw away all the potential for more sequels and wider recognition. Such a shame for a film with a whopping $100 million production tag.
28 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A fun movie
carlink12 August 2022
I am a big fan of quirky horror/ comedy, and this is a pretty well cast movie.

I would have loved to have seen a bit more of snoop (although most of his dialogue was incomprehensible) as his energy permeates the scenes he was in. Dave Franco is always great and thee is some great back and forth between him and Jamie Foxx.

All in all the story has been done 1000 time before but this incarnation was really fun, Jamie Foxx was very good.
111 out of 179 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
JJP
yusufpiskin13 August 2022
Let's face it, JJP did a good job.

This movie doesn't claim to be a cult, an epic production, a work of art.

All he promises to his audience is "entertainment" and he does it very well.
30 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Film Is Drowning In First-Timers
PurpleCrayon201413 August 2022
The first time Director is really a Stunt Coordinator, the screenplay written by a first time in the industry author and another that keeps writing the same thing over and over and over..... What really killed this film, let ALL the air out of the balloon - Dave Franco. I grow so weary of these hacks that land gigs because they are related to someone who actually is talented or they know someone who knows someone who knows someone....... Jamie Foxx needed a quick payday and it's a travesty we don't have more of Snoop Dogg. Don't pay to watch this, as it would be more entertaining watching It's A Wonderful Life backwards.
73 out of 142 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing??
osaure13 August 2022
It's amazing that in the IMDb reviews they only show the most positive reviews posting the most stars. When you dig a bit deeper you'll find that the true reviews, the ones that are buried, show it to be mediocre or down right bad. This movie is mediocre and cliché. Uses a basic plot format, making it predictable, and tries to shock. Boring.
75 out of 140 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Day Shift is not without flaws but is a blast from start to finish with great action and fun characters.
Paragon24019 August 2022
Did not expect to enjoy this as much as I did! Day Shift brings a fresh new vibe to the vampire hunter genre, with most of the movie taking place in the bright sunny suburbs of LA. The action and fight sequences near John Wick-level choreography (which is not surprising since Chad Stahelski is involved) and the world built by Day Shift is intriguing and worth further exploration in future films. Jamie Foxx and Dave Franco have fun buddy cop chemistry, and some of the other characters might not be well developed but are still entertaining. I would love to see more from this franchise.
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not good, not terrible. Just bad.
arne-vst12 August 2022
I wonder what the actual goal of this movie is.

It's not funny, yet specified as comedy. (I did not laugh once).

It's not scary, yet specified as horror. Yes there is blood, there is gore. But that does niet mean horror. There's not a single drop op suspension present.

It's not serious, yet specified as a thriller / drama. The way they shoot in broad daylight, without any cop or other person in sight really is strange. You would think that if you here gunfights in the house next to you, that cops would come by to take a look.

Also, since when does a gunshot to the body makes you fly away for (literally!) meters !?

It is action, however not the kind of action that takes you along the ride and keeps you entertained or in the movie till the end.

You also already kind of know what's going to happen and who is going to live or die, which make you not really care about characters or events within the movie.

1 last thought: J. Foxx didn't really do a great acting job in this movie. He's not funny, not really to be taken serious either. Sometimes even comes over like he did not really want to be there.

He's really been cast in the same sort of 'empty shell' movies time after time. Which is kind of sad.

When I think back to collateral or Ray and how amazing he performed, it kind of seems that he lost his touch, vibe, motivation or whatever.
81 out of 144 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not impressed.
meljr-9290913 August 2022
Blade was a good vampire hunter movie because Blade being a vampire himself he had the strength of vampires and maybe a little more strength by being a day walker. In this movie we have an ordinary man who takes a beating and gets thrown around like a wet dish rag and keeps coming back.

The plot was poor and for the most part so was the acting. The big name stars didn't help this movie at all.

If you like lots of fight scenes where the good guys always win then you might like this film.
39 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Day Shift
Prismark1013 August 2022
Bud Jablonski (Jamie Foxx) is vampire hunter in San Fernando Valley who pretends to be a pool cleaner.

Short of cash and needing a permanent union gig as a vampire hunter. Bud needs to improve his finances to stop his ex wife and daughter moving to Florida.

Bud finds that he is the one who is hunted after vampire property developer goes after him.

All this and Bud is partnered with a rookie Seth (Dave Franco) who keeps wetting his pants each time they encounter vampires.

Like a lot of these straight to streaming movies. It starts off with a good action sequence.

It then movies to a slow crawl. It is not much of a comedy and boredom soon sets in.

There is an action sequence featuring Scott Adkins as an Armenian, just so the audience can stay awake.

It is too silly and stupid. There is some fun as the movie heads to its conclusion.
29 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Count Wackula
Go_For_The_Jugular13 August 2022
If you can handle the 'tooth', you'll admit that this wasn't 'fangtastic'...the 'stakes' weren't really that high...and it lacked 'bite'.

Kudos to Netflix though, for keeping it consistent with the flops!
43 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.