Winner of the 2008 IDFA Special Jury Award
sue-5367 April 2009
Each year red jet films of Seattle attends IDFA – International Documentary Festival Amsterdam. In November 2008, two Americans now living in Berlin - Directors Rick Minnich and Matt Sweetwood, produced my personal favorite and winner of the IDFA Special Jury Award - "Forgetting Dad".

"One week after a seemingly harmless car accident, a 45-year-old man loses his memory. He christens himself "New Richard" and begins a new life with a new wife far away from his old family. Sixteen years later, his filmmaker son Rick Minnich returns to investigate why his father's memory never returned."

My husband Jeff and I got to spend several moments with Rick and Matt after the world premiere of "Forgetting Dad". Although Rick now lives in Berlin, his story begins in California – where he grew up – and ends in a tiny town in Oregon. All the more interesting for us since we've ridden our Harley to each and every spot that the story takes place and unfolds.

"Forgetting Dad" is a beautifully produced, well told story of one man's journey to find answers to questions that have haunted him and his family since amnesia took his Father from them. I walked away reminded once again of the fragility of life, of perceptions and misperceptions, family dynamics, secrets, dysfunction - and that life is not delivered to us wrapped up in a neat, tidy, uncomplicated little package.

It has been about four months since I had the pleasure of seeing this movie – and am surprised that I still think about it on a weekly basis. It is definitely worth the time to seek out and watch "Forgetting Dad".
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
haunting/sad
vaschuetze19 January 2010
I was struck watching this movie, how much the people who had been left behind were affected by their father's *amnesia*. They were no longer children, but were still so deeply impacted by the loss of their father. The message that people have the right to make these choices, to live as they choose is an abdication of personal responsibility. It was OK for him, but what was he doing to his wives and his families? The suffering he inflicted on them through it all is not all right. Not a lot different from people who choose to walk away from their families for the myriad of other reasons they can give. It is time to begin to live a bit differently, and put the needs of others before our own desires to have what we want, esp. when it concerns our own families. It was an impacting and interesting film, but also very sad. I would have liked to have seen a bit more resolution in the end though. I wouldn't call it enjoyable, more like haunting.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A brilliant film
Adesimba14 April 2011
I'm so glad I got to attend a screening of "Forgetting Dad" a couple nights ago. I'm not one to wax hyperbolic; I really think the film is brilliant.

All the layering, all the unfolding, the carefully orchestrated emotion, the dead-ends, the mystery, and the resolution, such as it was... At several points I thought, Okay, the film will wrap up shortly - only to be pleasurably surprised when yet another unexpected turn is made, and another layer is artfully unpeeled.

The story is told with just the right mix of pathos, humor, punches, vulnerability, and unanswered questions. I love the dead-ends - they are part of what keep the film still very much in my mind, where I continue to chew on it.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.