Nezha Reborn (2021) Poster

(2021)

DEFINITELY RECOMMEND !
a-557561 March 2021
It's a recreate work based on Chinese myth story, but if you don't know the myth, you can also enjoy it A LOT ! Its scenes include old Shanghai city just to tell you the background, most scenes are recreated and quite fit for the story. The characters, all different characters, are so good. The details of those moto, costumes and so on are exquisite, so as the scenes. The best part is the rhythm of storytelling, every 'paragraph' with very exciting fighting or likewise, and it keeps this high rhythm throughout the whole movie. Another highlight is CG which has been represented by all the scenes, characters and so on. I think it's as good as maybe The Dark Knight(Dir Christopher Nolan), but they are different genre. Why I mention TDK is that this movie is also of a Universe - New Gods. Nezha is one of those Gods, and the sequel on the way Yangjian is another one. There are several clues in this movie to connect to the future Gods to come. You can imagine it as Iron Man or Captain America, and the whole New Gods as the Avengers. So it has a huge Universe. You can expect (and count on them). Enjoy it! for every time, as I've seen it three times and have no plan to stop yet.
26 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Looking forward to the next one.
t-2472816 February 2021
New Prince Nezha's Triumph Against Dragon King perfectly meets my childhood dream of Nezha. In traditional mythology, my favorite is little Nezha. The special effects are very attentive and the details of the characters are well portrayed. Sound design can be said to be very rich. Every object is endowed with reality, and in reality, there is a process to reflect the fantasy world. Nezha during the Spring Festival has its own positive energy and joy, but the story can be richer. Many points that can promote the plot can go further: aobing's Dragon tendon, Nezha's awakening . They can also create more conflicts. ps It's really good for girls. Who doesn't want to have a hero to protect themselves.
22 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
REALLY SURPRISE BY THIS
sanzoryusan13 April 2021
After Nezha (2019), i really looking forward for another movie in its universe. The Jiang Ziya came out and to be honest, its quite disappointing with its plot and directing.

But when this movie's trailer came out, i get excited again.

The idea of the reincarnation of the myth character in the steam/cyberpunk era is very intriguing. The plot and direction is so good. It is well-paced and well-directed for a 2hours movie. And of course the animation is top-notch. Thought i would be tired of watching another Nezha mythology movie, but boy, i was wrong. This one is a fresh take of the myth!

This movie kinda dark in its story and plot execution, also they have mature character designs, so im pretty sure it wasn't made for young kids.

But as an adult, i really enjoy this one. Rich in mythology, action-packed, surprisingly emotional and will leave you wanting more.
13 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
fantastic animation good story
jsuran13 April 2021
The animation is really impressive. There is room for story to improve.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spectacular animation and wonderful characters in another fantastic Ne Zha film
neiko-1721513 April 2021
I felt compelled to write this review to pick up on a couple of the negative reviews I've been reading (which are probably bots and I should therefore know better). Nothing wrong with not enjoying a film of course, but some of the criticism is seeping into xenophobia, and warped nationalism which is frankly embarrassing to read. Your opinion on China has about as much relevance to this film as American imperialism has to Toy Story. It's a fantasy, fictional, children's film. Get a grip.

Anyway, on a more positive note, a big thank you to Netflix for buying up the rights to this (and hopefully buying many more to come because I can't get enough of 'em). You really can't beat a good animation, and China is building a reputation for crafting some of the very best of them right now.

As you're probably already aware this is not related to the equally stunning 2019 Ne Zha film. I was initially disappointed at this, only because I've been looking forward to getting a sequel to that masterpiece for some time, but now I have two sequels to look forward to so no complaints from me.

This one is set thousands of years after the events of that film (and things play out a little differently to how they do in the 2019 one - another way they distance themselves from each other I guess) in a kind of East Asian Cyberpunk setting, where money and water are crucial commodities. The story is way more straightforward in this one, with events centred around a reincarnation of Ne Zha and his centuries old feud with the Dragon Clan. There are some nice surprises thrown in, some decent fight scenes and set pieces, and some sad bits which personally I don't see the big deal with (does no one remember in the old Disney films what happens in Bambi, Lion King, Snow White etc.? When did death become so unapproachable in "children's" films eh?), but the star of the show has to be the animation.

The plethora of inventive characters and environments, and little touches (which I won't spoil because you should just watch the film and stop reading this really) is just staggering. My only nit-pick is that the film moves at such a break-neck speed at times, particularly at the beginning with lots of fast cuts and moving cameras that the sheer level of detail and artistry is lost because you're just trying to keep up with what's happening. 2019's Ne Zha was just as visually lavish, but its camera worked in harmony with its visuals, giving you more time to see what was going on, whilst complimenting and enhancing the fight sequences by following the action with more fluidity.

There's way more action in this variant too, but the choreography and the way its shot could've been better. Don't let that put you off though, as the fight and chase sequences are still perfectly entertaining and the monsters are all animated beautifully!

Anyway, to rap up, just the sheer weight of characters, and designs and spectacle on show is dazzling and easily outweighs my slight bugbear with the occasionally frantic camera work. Yes 2019's Ne Zha is probably the better film, but if you enjoyed that one, you should still get plenty of pleasure from this incarnation.

It's a visual feast of the eyes worth gorging on.

Other recommendations for Chinese animation, try 2015's, "Monkey King: Hero is Back", 2016's "Big Fish and Begonia", and Stephen Chow's 2013, "Journey to the West", is good fun too. The studio that did Ne Zha Reborn also did a film called "White Snake" which I checked out after watching this one and while I definitely enjoyed it, I felt Ne Zha Reborn had more wow moments in it. Those out there looking for top quality animation, obviously go with anything made by Ghibli or Laika. Barring "Early Man", Aardman is all good. The studio behind "Song of the Sea" and "The Breadwinner" are pretty good too. If you want a particularly dark children's film try "Ana Y Bruno".

Everyone should watch "A Town Called Panic".
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Animation at it's best!
chrissyp12313 April 2021
Truly colourful, creative and beautiful animation-wise!
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Piece of Animation Artwork
bbsherman14 April 2021
I really enjoyed the spectacular animation work put into this movie, which I was fortunate enough to enjoy in full HD and get the impact of all the incredible detail. The storyline was equally as well done and the action was nonstop. This rivals any of the MCU projects and I hope to see more creations from the team that put this together.
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautifully animated asian superhero fantasy with some awesome action scenes; but the story and dialog did not really work for me :-(
stevebondi22 April 2021
The animation was colorful yet almost photo-real, and while most of the animation was seamless, there were a few scenes where they seemed to cut corners.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very good animation
kocer_u21 April 2021
It is hard to understand some east mythology elements but very enjoyable the movie. My criticisms are too many slow motions and some holes in the story.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing!
iLittleTinker18 April 2021
Just finished this Amazing movie, highly recommended!

From story to music and also animation design, everything is perfect!

Really love it!!
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Art work, Hard Punches, Fluent Moves.
vinomancer24 April 2021
Their are already a lot of movies and animates talking about Greek Gods lives in the modern world, perhaps you will enjoy ancient Chinese Gods doing the same things.
Just finished watching
morpheuszion-6157819 April 2021
I really liked it. Yeah, I love original Ne Zha, but this one isn't bad at all. Great animation, great fights. These guys giving it 1* are delusional.
Perfectly perfect
ahmadabi4616 April 2021
It was my first time that I watched chinese animation and I should say it is worth ten stars.

Especially the characters design and personalities are awesome and the story is the best too.
Stunning animation
latinotoons13 April 2021
Wonderful animation and action sequences are threaded together by a compelling myth retold in this chinese cyberpunk story. I wish the characters didn't remind me of asian barbies, but you get over it.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good...
RosanaBotafogo18 April 2021
The story is good, the fights make me lazy, the graphic is beautiful, charismatic characters, there was a lack of humor, it was very serious and surly, the fights endless, but a tasty design ...
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing 👏
sandrakara14 April 2021
This Nezha Reborn Anime Flim is Beyond Amazing, I really enjoyed it with friends. It is indeed worth to watch everyone ❤❤❤
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Such Wasted Potential
shawnyu6417 April 2021
I watched first movie, knew all methodological background origin of characters, listened & understood to the original Chinese lines instead of relying on subtitles and even watched a few articles on this movies before watching...and yet, I still only understood like 70% of plot and find the rest confusing. Imagine that. Extra shame because animation is absolutely gorgeous.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I was surprised. It's a quite good Chinese production
javiercba15 April 2021
This good, good amount of action and the animation quality is also very good, which surprised me for being a Chinese production

I saw the movie in its original language spoken in Mandarin Chinese and subtitled in Spanish and the truth is that I get a little dizzy ... one is already used to hearing Spanish or English,

also the dialogues are not so important, it does not affect anything if you stop watching the subtitles for a while, because basically it's about fights between reincarnated old gods, that's the whole plot

Anyway like I said, it's worth it.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful CGI animated film
emperorbilly-6323919 April 2021
As the Title suggests this film was beautifully animated with CGI. I know close to nothing about the old Chinese deities, demi-gods, or demons, just want to preface that.

I found the story to be compelling and excellently structured, it is family friendly, but I didn't consider it to be a "kids" movie like I am used to them (I could list any number of Disney "kids" movies that are a bore.) It engaged me and I am a horribly pessimistic and jaded 27 year old. So not a child, but I can't imagine a kid wouldn't absolutely enjoy this movie, and as long as the parents or grandparents are open to enjoying an animated movie I would bet they will enjoy it as well.

This is the best movie I have seen in quite awhile... or maybe it just feels like it's been an age because 2020 was a s*** show and that one year felt longer than all the 2010s put together...
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable Movie
welikumbura4 May 2021
It's an enjoyable movie. I liked how the story was paying out continuously without any interruptions & mismatch.

I can't give credit to the writer to try to hide the identity of Mask Man till the end, but if you into Chinese folklore, you can fore guess it. The story is a little bit too cheesy & straightforward like most typical Chinese movies, but the animations & visual effects are superb among the best I have seen.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's ok
kurisutofusan13 July 2021
It was entertaining but a little slow to find its pace.

I also found the editing choices a little strange at time.

However, the good visual quality helps.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Visually Thrilling, but Narratively Underwhelming
AnirudhGod26 June 2021
A real surprise from the Chinese animation industry, where the story is clear cut and to the point with loads of fantastical world-buulding that's pretty fun. But the story is pretty weak in terms of its conflict. Each and every menacing and imposing conflict pushed upon our hero, Li Yunxian, is treated with such disposability and ease for our hero that he crosses all of them with no real sense of struggle. That made the film less thrilling for me, even though it was spectacular to watch, at times. I just wish they spent some more time on the animation, and the script to give us some thrilling action/drama.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great experience
Prince_12 May 2021
Modernization of mythology movies are tough but they done it in a good way . But like every movie it has it's own flaws . Visual are also great .
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Captivating!
tashafc-8062029 May 2021
This movie is a work of art. The creativity and attention to detail is amazing.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Movie suck so bad
ronaldsee-6200714 February 2021
Different director from Nezha 2019, which I thought was a masterpiece. Nezha reborn, new gods 2021 is simply bad, no story line, not funny and so predictable

I feel like wasting 2h watching movie. Highly not recommend
8 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.