The Twilight Saga: Eclipse (2010) Poster

The wife owes me big time!
xenomorph_uk15 July 2010
It took my wife nearly a week of constant begging to take her to see Eclipse. After having endured the first two movies and the subsequent years of self therapy to erase the memory, it took a lot of persuasion to guilt trip me into seeing this one as well.

Needless to say, I entered the movie theatre mentally preparing myself for two hours of torture. Frankly, Eclipse was just as bad as I had expected despite reassurances from female co-workers that "It is much better than the last one... honest." I've never read the books nor do I plan to. I know nothing of the author however, I'm guessing she started writing this stuff when she was a twelve year old girl with delusions of what love should be.

This entire movie is nothing more than a very poorly written romantic dilemma, wrapped in a weak premise of vampire and werewolves in an attempt to lure extra interest. So far as stories go this one has no vigour or power what-so-ever. Depth? I've stepped in deeper puddles.

Approximately 80% of this movie is dedicated to examining the lead female's conflicting emotions. Does she want the vampire or the werewolf? Does she understand the lifestyle choice that comes with that decision? Is she willing to accept the risks? Does she understand the impact it will have on those around her? And finally... does anyone at all actually care? Yup, for two whole hours. (Six if you include the first two).

So surely this movie has some redeeming features? Perhaps the acting? Wrong. Stewart's (Bella), emotions range from mildly irritated to slightly concerned whilst trying to maintain an air of vulnerability that irritates instead of earning sympathy. For Pattinson (Edward), it's all about just looking pretty and his acting skills are reduced to nothing more bowing his head slightly so that he always appears to be gazing upwards in an attempt at looking intense. As for Lautner (Jabob), well we all know he can't act so he is reduced to a shameless and topless eye-candy prop.

In summary? Women are from Venus and men are from Mars. If you're a guy, you'll hate this. If you're a woman... you might like it. I'm not trying to belittle the sexes, it's just that type of movie.

Anyway, the wife can beg all she wants... there ain't no way I'm taking her to see the fourth one!
431 out of 584 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Top Thirty Things I Learned from Eclipse
thesar-226 September 2010
1. Native Americans fear "Cold Ones" as if they're attending Alcoholics Anonymous. Oh, wait…

2. "Jake! Stay!" is probably considered an insult to someone that changes into a dog.

3. Mormon writer, Stephenie Meyer, should be proud of acknowledging there are other races out there, though portraying Native Americans as savage beasts and Blacks as murderers should put her right back in the good light with the Latter-day Saints.

4. Brokeback Mountain tent love can happen between any two males, even the hairy and undead ones.

5. Terrible acting, hilariously bad dialogue, faux-pas Goths and unnecessary flashbacks can equate $300 million in revenues. Thanks, America.

6. Quickly moving someone with a broken back is first on the list of any medical student drop-out.

7. Pending Don Knotts was still with us, he surely would've been frontrunner for Bella's dad, Charlie.

8. There are more shirtless boys in the forests of Washington than all ballparks of the U.S.

9. Shift-changing Native Americans wear little clothing and have little regard to what happens when they change back. Do they store those shorts in the same place prisoners sneak contraband?

10. There are more forest battles in Washington than all of Planet Endor.

11. Bleak Bella is the most wanted girl in the world. Reasons of why are still unknown.

12. Using six tons of blush doesn't make you a vampire. It makes you Cher.

13. Turning into a six-ton wolf doesn't make you a werewolf. It makes you Beethoven.

14. These are NOT real Vampires! These are NOT real Werewolves!

15. These are NOT real Vampires! These are NOT real Werewolves!

16. These are NOT real Vampires! These are NOT real Werewolves!

17. Eclipse is as much a vampire and werewolf movie as The Exorcist is a feel-good and romantic comedy.

18. Eclipse is as much a teen romance as Speed 2: Cruise Control is about speeding.

19. Eclipse is as much of an epic adventure as Aliens is about Joe Arpaio's plight.

20. Eclipse is as much as about good parenting as The Stepfather is.

21. Bella is an incredible dead weight to anyone who is protecting her. Her best defense is to stay out of the way, cut herself like an emo and allow boys (and girls) fight over her.

22. "Waiting for marriage" is just as acceptable as taking your spouse's life on her wedding night.

23. Surprisingly good cinematography and a decent score does not equate a quality movie. Unless you want to watch a PBS special on the rainforests.

24. Who needs a spoof like Vampires Suck when you can laugh your ass off during the real movie?

25. The title is truly misleading; it would be far more entertaining to watch 30-seconds of an eclipse that you don't see in the movie, as it would the entire two hour film, itself.

26. High School graduates actually want to "make mistakes" so they can be all they can be. These filmmakers followed suit.

27. Bella is the saddest, most pathetic, manipulative and selfish character created next to…next to…no one. She is, in fact, the saddest, most pathetic, manipulative and selfish character created.

28. Eclipse has the least exciting climax next to The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.

29. This movie should NOT be considered for Best Costume Design. I've heard Lady Gaga actually rejected these outfits for her own act.

30. The un-dead fear "Newborns" just as much as Lindsey Lohan fears sobriety.
45 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Eclipse: The Army of Sparkles!
Smells_Like_Cheese30 June 2010
Ah, great, I can't believe I'm writing this kind of a review. I have never been so disappointed in my life, I went into Eclipse expecting a really bad movie like New Moon and it turned out to be much better than I expected. It's the best of the trilogy, even though that's not saying too much. New Moon was very possibly one of the worst movies I had ever seen, it was very poorly written and had God awful characters that are not likable in any way. Twilight, the first film, was so small for what it was trying to do and just wasn't very strong. However, working with a much better director like David Slade who did Hard Candy and 30 Days of Night, he knew not to take the film so seriously and it actually matured quite a bit.

As Seattle is ravaged by a string of mysterious killings and a malicious vampire continues her quest for revenge, Bella once again finds herself surrounded by danger. In the midst of it all, she is forced to choose between her love for Edward and her friendship with Jacob, knowing that her decision has the potential to ignite the ageless struggle between vampire and werewolf. With her graduation quickly approaching, Bella has so many decisions to make: if she will marry Edward, if she will become apart of the vampire clan, if she will choose Jacob instead, if she will abandon her family and life. As this is happening, Victoria is still seeking her revenge on Bella by creating an army of new born vampires who crave nothing more in the world than blood and will do anything for it. Having to decide if Bella's life is worth it, Jacob and Edward must come to peace with each other if they want to save Bella's life.

The actions sequences are a lot better and actually makes the film a lot more entertaining. As we see in the first two films, when the vampires run, it's a long shot so it looks very CGI and in this one we have more close up's making it look a lot more realistic. Even the werewolves looked a lot better than in New Moon. I'm betting David Slade called the computer company that did New Moon and said "OK, you guys have got to be kidding with what you gave me; work on the image!". Also the characters even go a little more in depth, Edward and Jacob are a little more interesting in this story. Honestly, if it were not for Bella, this would have been a much better movie.

See, this is where the downfall is with this series, besides the story, our main character Bella. She is very possibly one of the most flat characters ever written, she's so beyond boring. I can't honestly feel anything for her because she's just honestly a horrible person, she pits these guys against each other who are fighting for her and I can't even understand why they would fight for her. She's not that pretty, she's one tracked in thinking and she's a manipulator. When we finally are getting a little more interested in Jacob and Edward, Bella interrupts it. She's going from kissing Edward to kissing Jacob to kissing Edward and not even apologizing for it. I'm also convinced that Edward is gay, I'm not saying this as an insult, but there's a scene that reminded me of Will and Grace. Bella wants to sleep with Edward, but he wants to wait until they're married, he gets nervous when he kisses her and doesn't even want her undressed, in Will and Grace when we find out how they met, that's the exact same situation, only Will tells Grace after he proposes to her that he's gay. It's not insulting the character, I'm just having a very hard time believing that he loves her as he tells Jacob when asked him if Bella chose him instead, Edward says "I'd let her", what is that? Are you kidding me? That's Bella's great love? Wow.

With better direction though, this film does a lot better that I expected, even if it's not saying too much. It's just the story that is really bad, the dialog and characters. David Slade did the best he could and he even made it enjoyable when Edward and Jacob actually talked, Jacob even says when he has to warm up Bella in a blizzard "I'm hotter than you", I couldn't stop laughing at that. I think that line was added last minute, also same with when Edward sees Jacob and asks "does this guy have any shirts?", they actually had fun with the script and that's what picked up the film as well as better action scenes. But to sum this up, Eclipse is better than I expected, but it's a rental for me, but I'm sure the fans will like this one a lot better.

49 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Simply dreadful!
chucknorrisfacts10 July 2010
All right, I'm going to make this short and sweet. "The Twilight Saga: Eclipse" has got to be one of the worst movies I've ever seen and I've seen A LOT of movies.

I knew this movie would be terrible. After all, "Twilight" was terrible and so was its sequel, "New Moon". I didn't expect anything less from this installment.

Robert Pattinson, Kristen Stewart and Taylor Lautner need to enroll in some acting classes, pronto! I don't know how they convinced anyone they could "carry" a movie. Their melodramatic line delivery is almost unbearable to watch.

The writing is absolutely horrible. The dialogue is so unbelievably cheesy it's embarrassing. The only people that could possibly derive any sort of enjoyment from this insult to celluloid are pre-teen girls. So if you're not a pre-teen girl, or ridiculously immature, you're not going to like this.

I think it should be obvious that "Twilight" is a passing fad. Give it a few more years and it'll end up just like the Macarena. It was popular once upon a time but now people are embarrassed to admit they ever had anything to do with it. Mark my words, "Twilight" will be no different.

In short, "The Twilight Saga: Eclipse" carries on the tradition of its predecessors "Twilight" and "New Moon", it sucks. I would strongly advise anyone that values their brain cells to stay away from this horrible movie at all costs.
46 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tedious boring and meaningless
Medacakathareal6 July 2010
As bad as the first Twilight was this is a whole new level. The bland and tedious characters lack chemistry, life, personality which sort of makes sense because most of them are undead.

The film continues Bella's meaningless coin flip decision between Jacob the skin-walker (I refuse to refer to these as werewolves) and Edward the fairy. Every sentence out each character's mouth, particularly the main characters, is stilted and stale. They can't even articulate their lines let alone deliver them with any depth - not that there is any depth to the script or story here, there isn't.

Even the fights are bland with vampires getting snapped apart like they were porcelain dolls and the only main threat of the movie - an army of New Born vampires - ending up being overcome with GREAT EASE. Also the division of the skin-walkers and "vampires" is suddenly bridged, there's no exploration of the issues between their kind or how to resolve them, just a randomly quick decision to work together despite the fact they hated each other a moment ago.

The film's focus, instead of the parts that might have proved interesting, is in the emotionless and empty romance between two obscenely pale individuals and the muscular third wheel. Any attraction I could have had to Kristen Stewart is erased by her terrible delivery, empty eyed stare and general lack of emotion.

Bland from start to finish and painful to anyone who genuinely likes good films. If you are brave enough to see it I recommend drinking something that will erase the memory and numb the pain afterward.
281 out of 433 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I have never craved a bullet in my head so much in my life…
nikki-folwell1 July 2010
OK, my experience in seeing this movie was particularly excruciating because I was stuck in a theatre of people who kept either groaning, cooing, or yelling advice to the characters on screen at the top of their lungs. But even with that aside, what few other people will be likely to say still deserves to be said: this movie sucked big hairy werewolf balls. Unfortunately, trying to explain why would take up a lot more words than I've managed to cram in, so I can only focus on the main issues. For starters, Bella has become increasingly unlikeable since we saw her last, and as she's the central protagonist around whom all the ensuing events revolve, that's going to be a problem. Originally a great character in the first two films, her appeal here takes such a massive nosedive that, no joke, it actually becomes hard to fathom why exactly everybody around her is risking their lives for her safety. Her constant lack of consideration for certain people (particularly her long-suffering dad) is getting exceedingly grating. There were a number of moments in which I wanted to bite her neck myself just to shut her up. The scene (spoiler) in which she punches Jacob because he kissed her was the last straw for me - I hardly think that that warrants a punch considering that he can't help being in love with her, especially since, deep down, she loves him as well. The little trout deserved to get her hand sprained. But no, he still apologises, and not just for the kiss but for the fact that punching him sprained her hand. How predictable and how pathetic.

Bella's love affair with Edward - previously of the "I would die for you" calibre - is now peppered with so many inconsistencies that it's losing its enjoyment value. For example, as we've learned in movies 1 and 2, Bella is so in love with Edward that she's a) willing to overlook the fact that he's not human; b) willing to overlook the fact that he's killed people; and c) give her own life to save his as she did at the end of New Moon, but when he finally proposes marriage to her she's hesitant? And the reason? Well apparently because she's still young, being only 18. Funny, 'cause I would've thought that 18 is also a young age to contemplate relinquishing your mortality in favour of becoming a vampire for all eternity. But it's OK, because (another spoiler) she eventually accepts; and in doing so, says, "I will bind myself to you in every way humanly possible" - but when he addresses her as Mrs. Cullen she suddenly tells him that she wants to keep her own name? She'll sacrifice life and limb for him but not do THAT?

The cheesiness of this film was also a step up - everything is cheapened to the level of a corny soap opera. They ALL deserve Razzis. CONSTANT long silences, hard stares, and stupid dialogue. My sister actually turned to me at one point during the movie and said, "Shades of Wuthering Heights" because everything about this plot is so exasperating. Why doesn't Edward stay mad at Bella after she kisses Jacob? They have ONE discussion about it (actually it's not even a discussion, just a series of comments) and then by the end of the movie they're happily reunited without a single cross word. I would think that kissing Jacob would put Edward's nose out of joint just a LITTLE, considering that she's supposed to be his reason for living and future bride!

You should also be prepared for the fact that, as is typical in most of these cases, they try to shove far too much into the storyline. Simplify, guys: if you're going to take a few minutes to explain Rosalie's backstory to us to give us some more insight as to why she is the way that she is, then leave James' backstory until the next movie. The need to stop every once in a while to explain another supporting character's history is exceedingly disruptive, and doesn't really bring anything integral to the plot anyway (for example I found that I still didn't give a rat's ass about Rosalie even after finding out what happened to her). It just makes it longer, more tedious, and prone to losing your attention.

Maybe I'm just not this movie's core demographic. It IS for tweenies after all. But there's another problem: considering that this film is supposed to be for tweenies, the violence is sometimes surprisingly full-on. There's a scene involving a decapitation which I won't go into the gruesome details of, but let's just say that it could easily qualify as the "Holey s**t!" moment of the year. So even the movie itself seems to forget who it's for. The special effects are impressive of course, the visuals are creative and the direction is fine; but scratch beneath this glossy surface and there's just too much frustration at the hands of the script, the characters and their actions to make this movie tolerable to sit through. And, because the characters and their actions are the primary crux of this story, you never get a minute's peace.

Quite simply, I am so OVER Twilight man. I'm done. That's it. Up until this point I'd actually been quite enjoying the franchise, but the abomination of this third installment has soured my interest so much that...you know what? I'm going to go watch Little Ashes, because the sight of Robert Pattinson making out with a guy is just what I need to shoot dead anything that reminds me of this idiotic movie. Awful.
151 out of 228 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rubbish
psokhadze6 July 2010
Let's be honest - It's RUBBISH! All this saga was calculated on 12-15 years old teenager girls, which love to watch Crap like this. ,,OH what a Lovely screenplay, oh my god" - No, you are wrong, screenplay sucks, it's another romantic movie with special effects and billions of dollars. Like once David Duchovny said in ,,Californicatin" it's another ,,Twilight Boolsheet"! There are no Vampires, and no such awful Love stories between girl and vampire. if you want to watch movies exactly about Vampires watch ,,From Dusk Till Dawn", which is billion times better than this crap.

Acting - sucks, screenplay - sucks, story - sucks, music - sucks, effects- nice. I enjoyed only special effects in those moving pictures (somebody calls twilight movie :D ). So I must say, that if we give money which was spent to make this rubbish, to homeless people world will be good enough.
109 out of 166 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Don't Get It And I Never Will
jluppek27 June 2010
It's just a plain awful movie and there is nothing good about it. The acting is weak, the visual effects are poor (the second one had better production value but the fact still remains that surely that is not a decisive factor in generating an audience), and the story itself is so mild. I'm not even going to harp on the issue that it holds completely untrue to all vampire rulings. There is nothing dark, enchanting, sad, nor even eternally romantic (mostly for femme auds granted) about this telling. Even the chemistry between Edward, Bella, and Jacob is so unapparent. Taylor Lautner and Robert Pattinson in no way sell that they are eternal arch enemies and Kristen Stewart is so uncharismatic and unable to connect to the character of Bella (I have read the books and they are far better). It's just a weak update on Romeo & Juliet aimed at generating teen female obsession. Anyone who is not a die-hard tween fan, that I've ever spoken too, concurs that they just don't get it.
591 out of 983 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Twilight Eclipse: An Improvement
FatmanReviewing4 July 2010
When "Twilight" came out back in 2008 I became immensely curious in the franchise (even though I'd never read the books) due to the overwhelming hype from the fans. After the viewing I felt that the film was left very hollow and weighed down by the sub-standard acting, iffy directing, sloppy editing and overall adolescent melodrama. It felt incomplete but as though it wanted its creators to try harder and become a developed rendition of the books. Regardless, I saw the possibility of potential and found myself interested in seeing where the series would go in the future. "New Moon" was released last year and I had actually bubbled up a sense of excitement from watching the trailers. It came off as a new and improved version of the original with a much more interesting story; I couldn't have hit further from the mark if I tried. Completely immersed underneath terrible acting, absolutely sloppy editing, gut-wrenching writing, mediocre directing, god awful story development, empty CGI and a go-nowhere-at-all story only meant to tug at the heart strings of pre-teens, "New Moon" was instantly put on the list of worst films I had ever seen in my life. I had become completely turned off by the idea of seeing this franchise grow any further. Alas, my OCD personality refuses to let me start a film series and walk away from it so it was inevitable that I hesitantly saw "The Twilight Saga: Eclipse".

Almost immediately I realized that this film's atmosphere is a barricaded roundabout of re-hashed dialogue and one-track character directory. Nothing intellectual or invitingly new is dropped into this pot of love triangles, cardboard characters, and afterthought plot development. It's one of the largest problems with the film; nothing is unique. The seemingly "main story" is introduced slowly over the course of almost two hours through five to ten minute segments that feel like nothing more than meaningless bursts to keep people on their toes. These sporadic bursts of story come at you in between the same drivel we've heard in "New Moon". Bella (Kirsten Stewart) to Edward (Robert Pattinson) to Jacob (Taylor Lautner) back to Bella and Edward and Edward to Jacob and Jacob to Bella and Edward and Jacob and Bella to Edward. Continuously talking about fighting for their love and no sex before marriage and preparing for battle but really doing nothing and "She loves me but she's too afraid to admit it" and "She loves me more but I'm not sure about myself." It's this childlike, empty conversation between characters with similarly empty, childlike personalities that makes the entire movie feel like a giant fantasy advertisement; an enormous, over dramatic, pre-teen wet dream.

The characters are the second biggest issue with this film and even though in second place, it's by far the most irritating problem. I cannot recall the last time I cared for characters so little in a series of any sort. This movie has a running time of an hour and fifty-five minutes, minus the credits and not once do any of the characters deviate from the one-tone personalities that are painted for them. The same over the top emotions that cause the same loop-de-loop interactions that actually get so bad that you feel as though you're watching the same scene over and over and over and over again. It's cursed by a formula that should have been dropped after the first film because there was potential to create characters an audience would be interested in but that ship sailed and crashed; no survivors.

Alongside cookie cutter personalities and what tries to pass off as an in-depth story of revenge, love and redemption, is a near beautiful but one dimensional environment. I was really confused by this film's physical appearance and the tone it was attempting to create. The scenery is something to behold but is masked by too much use of blue tones, bloom lights and green washing. The werewolves have got some excellent CGI going for them and at first glance you wouldn't be able to guess that they aren't real. As the film progresses though, you begin to lose the feeling of reality with these creatures. It's almost as if they aren't there and there's no physical depth or strength to them. This weightlessness become very apparent during the overwhelmingly dull, cliché and emotionless fight scenes. Everything about the atmosphere contradicts itself and this became very frustrating to watch. I do have to give credit to the film makers for putting enough effort into making the environment look much more attractive than the previous installments.

Overall most of what made "New Moon" a total catastrophe has been worked on in "Eclipse" and it is indeed a better film than its predecessors. The problem with this analysis is you're comparing one personal experience with a train wreck to another; in the end it's still covered in smoke, fire, dismay and you're hoping to get out alive. The acting has improved but the delivery of almost the entirety of the film's dialogue is rubbish or cringe worthy. The editing has gotten better and the pacing feels more cinematic but the story itself completely veils this upgrade, making it nearly unnoticeable. Changing the directors was possibly the best choice made here because the film feels much more professional and mature; again though, we're talking train wrecks here. If you're a fan of the series thus far, I'm sure you'll enjoy this installment. If you're a fan of the books, maybe you will too. If you're anybody else I would highly suggest, at this point, steering clear of this series entirely and maybe picking up the books.
106 out of 167 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
better but still lacking
nguyencs230 June 2010
Eclipse was by far my favorite book in the saga. As a guy, I felt it had the perfect blend of action, romance, drama, and suspense. The movie did try to stay true to the book as much as possible but I feel it still lacked what made the book great.

The acting is definitely better over the last two. I still feel a little awkward watching Bella. Edward definitely has gotten better. I've gotten several good laughs out of the movie. Got some nice flashbacks of other characters. But it still lacked overall magic for me.

The things I feel is missing from the movie is suspense and chemistry. The love triangle is back and was a bit more entertaining now that all three of them are interacting more. But I still find the lack of chemistry between the characters glaringly obvious. I often had to think about my feelings back when I was reading the book to fortify what I saw on screen. In my opinion, they used too many words(and dialogue from the book) to describe what's going on instead of SHOWING(acting) us what's going on.

The climax in the book was what made Eclipse my favorite of the saga, however, I can't say the same for the movie. The climax was disappointing and anti-climatic. Such dramatics for a walk in the park.

I still feel the movie deserve the theater experience but I won't say boo to waiting for DVD release.
147 out of 238 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Damn..
RalucaState5 July 2010
These movies keep getting lamer and lamer. They should have stopped at Twilight, that's my fav from all of them.. and seriously now, Kristen Stewart desperately needs some acting lessons. I liked the books, easy reading, entertaining.. but the movies, oh man, so disappointing. The same expression on Robert's face throughout the entire movie, lame attempts from Kristen to act..

At least they did a bit better with the make-up this time around. And the wigs looked OK.

oh yeah, I love Dakota Fanning's acting, she is awesome. And Billy Burke is a God. Charlie is my favourite character. His lines in Eclipse (the movies) were pretty good as well.

Yeah.. but mainly, it sucked. I don't even want to think about how bad Breaking Dawn will suck.
150 out of 244 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not my thing.
alina1-789-41059512 July 2010
I'm a teen and one of the people this stuff is aimed at.I watched this with a couple of friends and they all seemed to love it.I don't exactly.I just watched it because I thought that I should investigate all this teenage hype(we can be pretty dumb sometimes, I'll admit).I'm a girl and I think that we teens are pressurised by all the sex appeal and stuff.Jacob Black ALWAYS has his shirt off.I was getting quite ticked off.Edward(RPattz(another teen craze)) is way to over protective. Then there's the Volvo he drives, it's advertised on the TV ALL THE TIME.BIG DEAL!Bella is just so innocent and has to choose between to guys,Stephenie Meyer STOP TRYING TO RELATE TO TEENS!Victoria, again over sexed-up!I'm gonna stick to watching films by Kim Ki Duk and listening to Led Zep, cos that Teen film was a bunch of over hyped vampire novels , made into an even crappier film.
23 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This girl is the center of the world, isn't she?
luana_rrr13 July 2010
I have watched all the movies and browsed through the books because I wanted to understand what it was all about before I said anything about this phenomenon.

Twilight was so bad, it was funny ("like diamonds!" - wow.) New Moon was extremely boring. Both were so flat, bad direction, bad acting, REALLY bad dialog. Along comes New Moon with slightly better acting, slightly better action but still unbelievably bad dialog. I guess that's impossible to avoid though, considering the abominable, cheesy books. Oh yes, Stephenie Meyer cannot write! Every single cliché expression is there.

So -- Eclipse. It all revolves around the girl's choice, which is about the most common situation teenagers find themselves in. The difference is that your average girl will not encounter the choice werewolf vs. vampire too often... Bella STILL can't make her mind up whether she loves E or J so she messes with their minds a little more. Which in teenage speak means: keep 'em in suspense 'cause they'll both love you more.

Actually, the entire saga has Bella at its center, which is artificial to say the least. Two amazing creatures competing for the affection of a dull teenage girl - but it doesn't stop here: every single awesome creature jumps in to save her life, while the bad guys form an entire army of vampires to get vengeance for something She, "the beautiful swan", triggered. Wow, talk about your implausible plot - even in the world of mythological creatures. Oh, and she helps in the fight by cutting her finger.

The army of newborn vampires is disappointing, they're supposed to be very strong but they can't take a hit. They can't smell the wolves either, which contradicts the whole strategy of "carry Bella so that your stench covers her scent." However the scenes in the city, when they attack and destroy, are almost cool.

Bella and Edward's conversations in the meadow are so boring. There's no chemistry, no voice modulation, no face expressions which are usually more than necessary in the heart- felt scenes.

The acting! yes, the acting:

It seems like everybody in the movies has a fair performance - Dakota Fanning is stunning, Charlie is nice and funny, papa Cullen and newborn Riley (hope I got the names right) are actually likable. Everybody except the main characters!!

Edward is supposed to be this unbelievably sexy, can't-keep-your-hands-off-him perfect hunk. Instead, Pattinson really looks terrible - and speaking of terrible, let's not forget his acting. He should be intriguing and mysterious but he just looks awkward and stiff, which leaves you wondering what you should find so irresistible about him. The make-up does not help, especially the lipstick, which is redder than Bella's.

Bella. Now, no matter how hard I try, I cannot like Kristen Stewart. In the immortal (ha) words of Lisa Simpson - she's wooden and unpleasant. That 'puzzled' look she keeps giving defines her as an actress, which is not a good sign. Also, she never closes her mouth. Who ever thought she could hold a leading role was probably drunk.

Jacob. His purpose in the movie is to keep his shirt off, period. Nothing else matters here - the bust, the pecks and the attempts to kiss Bella.

So what's so captivating about the Twilight series? The fact that any girl can think she's the center of the world, that she can have everyone at her feet, complying with her every whim - yeah, that's pretty appealing. It also "raises" egocentric and unbelievably exigent women. Let us not forget the kids who want to become vampires (which of course implies their believing such beings actually exist.)

Yes, Eclipse was bad, but not as bad as the previous two. I wonder whether I'll have the patience to see the other two coming our way...
26 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decisions, decisions
jdesando1 July 2010
"I know the consequences of the choices you're making." Edward to Isabella

Although more fight action is apparent in the change from the last sequel (New Moon, 2009), to the new Twilight Saga: Eclipse, it is a film in eclipse—the story is so slow as to make you feel drained of blood, Kristen Stewart (Bella) has even fewer expressions than in previous Twilights, Taylor Lautner (Jacob) seems to have gone from a six pack to a four, and Robert Pattinson (Edward) is less James Dean than when he never had a chance to be like him anyway.

In other words, this slow tale of teenage vampires and werewolves in heat has too little heat, but rather is in its own twilight. The close-ups of the brooding teens have proliferated, to the extent that I have memorized Edward's mouth (or lack thereof), Bella's drooping eyes, and Jacob's overly-white teeth. All my memorization occurs because I needed to stay awake during the dullest scenarios since, well, Twilight. Actually I called that one "enjoyably overcooked." This one is underdone.

Eclipse has an increased emphasis on teenage uncertainty: Bella must decide who she wants to be, human or vampire (a variation of the film's existential subtext), whether or not to marry Edward, and how much she loves Jacob, more specifically, can she love two boys at once. It's authentic teen dilemma centered on fitting in with the crowd and the opposite sex. To the film's credit, she and Edward postpone sex until after marriage because Edward is "old school" about those matters (as opposed to killing piles of animals each night to sustain his 100 year-old body).

When Edward proclaims to Bella, "Isabella Swan, I promise to love you every moment of forever," I have the feeling it's a warning to me that at least two more sequels are being planned. I guess that's why the vampires and their movies seem to last so long—the undead and the Twilight continue to suck blood out of pop culture.
138 out of 239 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Vampires do NOT sparkle
robbieboy-9024 August 2010
I've always hated the twilight series, because its like a travesty to good vampire movies. but my sister asked me to go and watch this garbage with her, so i thought i would indulge her. and now let me say, Cinema has taken a turn for the worst.

Again this movie is about some pale girls choice between bestiality and necrophilia. it has no slightly interesting story or anything else. The acting is terrible, Vampire dude looks like a queer, chick looks like a corpse and Poochie looks like a douche, and they all have the acting talent of a hairdryer.

and now maybe my worst complaint of all. VAMPIRES DO NOT FREAKING SPARKLE WHEN THEY ARE IN SUNLIGHT, WHATS THE MATTER BURNING THEM OR MAKING THEM EXPLODE IS TO GOOD FOR YOU.

as you may well have noticed I'm not a fan of this movie, i am a fan of good vampire movies like, Nosferatu, Dracula and from dusk till dawn. and at least i still have those non sparkling epic vampire movies.

point is vampires don't sparkle.
134 out of 234 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
SLOW and BORING and REPETITIVE Story,
viki_smarty2 July 2010
The Twilight Saga: Eclipse has the same stuff repeated over and over again, you feel "the same talk NOOOOOOO move on", plus its all so boring, listening to everyone WHINE about their life, the vampires. the humans , the werewolves....OMG!!!

The story is basically about Bella having to choose between Edward and Jacob,I think the climax would have been much better IF BOTH OF THEM WOULD HAVE DUMPED HER. Bella flirts with both of them and does not want to let go any one of them. "In Love with Both" seriously?

The Only good part was the fighting, and that was just 1% of the movie. It is like they are setting up the movie to make another continuation without caring how the current movie turns out to be. A huge disappointment.
58 out of 96 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Way better than New Moon
mkirkpatrick0230 June 2010
It's one thing if you don't like the storyline to begin with. Teen supernatural romances with love triangles aren't for everyone, so why people who went to see it who don't like that sort of movie and then decide to give it a crappy review, I don't know. After reading all the book, I'll admit I was worried for the movies, in my opinion Twilight was OK, New Moon was a disappointment so I was apprehensive about Eclipse.

The irony of this situation is a horror film director, David Slade, got it right. From the beginning one of the first things I noticed was the fact that the acting had drastically improved. Jacob's lines were much less cheesy or at least Taylor delivered them in such a way that they didn't come across that way. Bella's maturity also was apparent in this film. The darker parts of the movie were as dark as they could be while keeping the PG-13 rating. Charlie was the comic relief and always has been that way, but this time I was legitimately in stitches.

As far as some reviewers who are annoyed by the love triangle and say nothing changed with that in the movie are clearly missing a few marbles. Bella even explains why she hadn't chosen up until the end of movie to Edward. She was choosing between who she should be and who she is. Jacob obviously who she should be and what she should do and Edward is who she is and where she feels most herself. Plus Jacob and Edward have a moment of understanding in this film which never happened in Twilight or New Moon, and I don't understand how some people on here didn't notice that. Also I can tell you that things really change in Breaking Dawn.

Yes there is a lot of dialog in the film, but I don't really think that's a bad thing unless you wanted an interpretive dance. You're dealing with a very large and detailed book that's being squeezed into a two hour movie, something has to give and dialog is a huge part of keeping the viewer aware of what's going on and moving the story along and I really don't think there is too much of it.

Also the movie flew by for me and as always leaves it's own "cliffhanger" to be addressed in the next film.

The main point is you either love, like, or hate the Twilight Saga, if you hate it, don't see the movie, if you love it I can tell you you'll like (probably love) Eclipse.
204 out of 369 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The same story...over...and over...again
KeepLifeSimple7 July 2010
*I am having to re-type my review since it was deleted by the website for some unknown reason.

This is by far the worst of the Twilight series for many reasons. I am actually one of those who enjoyed both Twilight and New Moon, so I guess you could say I'm a "fan". Why is it bad you ask? It's incredibly slow, dull, and most of all sloppy. To the huge Twilight fans: you get to see Edward and Bella make out the entire movie and even Jacob with his shirt off sporting his spray-on abs.

Jacob's (Taylor Lautner's)acting is about the same as the Twilight movies: it gets incredibly worse as the series moves along. He is about as bad as Channing Tatum and thats being nice.

The only decent part of this movie is the fight scenes, which are really short-lived. Please, don't waste your time on this movie just read the book. If you want a summary of Eclipse, here it is: Jacob confesses his love or Bella and kisses her only to have her punch him in the face; on the other hand, Edward proposes to Bella with her of course replying "yes". The vampires and ware wolves also team up to defeat the "new born" vampires, which ends up being a relatively easy task. That was the entire storyline of the movie.

1/10...the 1 is for the fight scenes.
30 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Eclipse my ass
originalconfidence1 September 2011
OK, I am a 19 year old girl who used to like twilight books for 1 month. After finish reading them I realized that these stupid stories centered on unrealistic fantasy romance that has no reality or depth has all been a waste of my time. The movies have the same story so obviously I began to chuckle when I saw these movies the second time, because its simply too unrealistic and ridiculous. Bella gets to live with Edward forever in the end, and no matter how much a couple is in love they will never love only each other for ETERNITY. Human minds don't work that way, especially when you're young. We get sick of our partners easily and cheat on each other at least once in our lives, because there are plenty of men and women out there other than our partners. It's not good to be madly in love, because you create unbalance in all your other life styles. If all the girls and twihard thought that the relationship between bella and edward has any depth, reality or is in any way healthy, then your understanding of the basics of human nature are truly at a low. It's very unhealthy to depend your life on someone else entirely, because you lose your own identity, expression and thought and that is a terrible price. I can't believe these series are making money, it promotes unhealthy unbalance to be completely obsessed with a guy, and that is taking feminism to the bronze ages
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beyond Disappointing...I wanted to cry!
shgladd-780-1490801 July 2010
Thank you director David Slade for ruining my favorite installment of the Twilight Saga. Maybe you should have standed by your original opinion of the Twilight stories. Bella was made into a strong character, Edward was made into a wimp, Jake was more of a jerk. You totally edited the scenes with Rosalie, which are very important to the next part of the series. You failed to show how ALL of the Cullens feel about Bella, which is also important to the next part of the story. In the past you have stated, you wouldn't touch this series...so I guess your change in opinion was really a ruse. You decided to sabotage the story instead. Thank God you are not going to be given the chance to ruin Breaking Dawn.
52 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Didn't like it
scott-tomkinson9 July 2010
The first one was better and that was just a 3 or 4. This one is weak. The SFX are not done right. The second one had better production. The story is just whatever, really mild and uninteresting. Edward Bella and Jacob have no chemistry. There is no romance that I could tell. Edward and Jacob don't seem like arch enemies. I didn't buy it. Kristen Stewart was way better in the first Twilight. In Eclipse she's is way bland. It's totally forgettable performance. The books had her personality better done. My girlfriend liked it more than me. However even she liked the first two far better. I hope the next ones will be an improvement. Maybe die hard fans will say it's okay, but overall it didn't match the first one or even the second. It sucked. 2/10
23 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It doesn't have enough bite!!
adam_uk094 July 2010
It's been billed as the biggest film of the year and perhaps it will be, but it has some stiff competition from the likes of Harry Potter coming this winter, so let's see if Eclipse really deserves that prestigious title.

The vampire and werewolf love saga has been bitterly disappointing so far with a dull first instalment and a hideously depressing second. Add to this some excruciatingly painful running times of over two hours and you have death by celluloid.

But perhaps I'm being a little unfair; this third instalment has been based on perhaps the most exciting book of the four in the series so it already has a good starting point and some convincing performances from the actors really do make this film a huge leap ahead of what preceded it.

The storyline to this film is pretty much non-existent but director David Slade does a good job of turning zilch into another depressing, but well made two hour love fest. Robert Pattinson (Edward Cullen), Kristen Stewart (Bella Swan) and Taylor Lautner (Jacob) return as the three main leads and their love triangle becomes even more confusing this time around, with frowning faces and awkward kisses galore. Add to this an army of newborn vampires ready to rip the very flesh of Bella Swan's bones and it's getting pretty tense down in Forks.

Sadly, even with a whole army of vampires and werewolves fighting in the finale, this small increase in action doesn't take away from the fact that the film drags in more than one place with blocks of dialogue that feel as if they're going to last a lifetime. It's unfortunate as the action pieces look excellent and the CGI, especially in the werewolves has improved leaps and bounds between New Moon and Eclipse. This shamefully vain dialogue with unnecessary close-ups of Robert Pattinson's face, Kristen Stewart's eyelashes and Taylor Lautner's chest are surely there just to appeal to the female fans and do nothing to progress the story.

It is these main three characters that hinder the film; their stilted dialogue and mediocre acting overshadow the rest of the cast who are all superb. Newcomer Bryce Dallas Howard playing red head vampire Victoria is seriously underused along with the whole Cullen flock who are not given enough room to breathe between the heavy central dialogue. Their acting is fantastic, why not use them more? Thankfully, it isn't all tears before bedtime with some well-timed comic humour from Bella's dad, Charlie. Played by Billy Burke, he is the only character of the used variety that leaps off the screen and he does so well, playing to his strengths as an actor.

Overall, Eclipse moves the game on but only very slowly. David Slade has crafted a beautifully shot movie with some excellent action pieces; but it still remains dull as ditch water because of bland performances from the lead cast and chunky dialogue. It's bound to please fans but biggest film of the year? I think we'll be seeing a certain boy wizard holding that honour for 2010.
68 out of 121 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best movie out of all three Twilight movies
michelle-779-96205930 June 2010
I know there is a broad range of people that watched Eclipse already, but having read the books and having watched the two previous movies, I believe this is the best out of all of them. A movie is never going to be as good as reading the original book, so if that is what you're looking for, than don't watch the movie! David Slade did an excellent job of making the movie more dramatic and less cheesy compared to the previous two films that made me want to gag in certain scenes.

I believe his technique of meeting with each actor individually before scenes to discuss lines and what he was looking for in each scene really helped each main character and improved their overall performance in Eclipse. We all have to remember that these are young actors and most of them have found fame through the Twilight movies, but this movie has really shown a lot of growth both in their acting abilities and how they've added more depth to their characters. Actors are only as great as the directors that direct them and I think David Slade has worked wonders with this cast and has shown us that a teenage love story can be turned into a movie where the characters will be praised and loved for not just their looks but for their talents to capture an audience and to walk away wanting more.

This movie played more on the serious side of young vampires, werewolves and The Cullens than the cheesy love story and over dramatic lines in the previous movies. Moviegoers get more insight into Jasper and Rosalie, even though I have to admit that Jasper was a little cheesy in this film, but his hair looked a lot more natural than the second film. There is so much going on in this book, but David Slade directed this movie in such a way that we are able to see the different aspects of what this book has to offer.. Vengeance and deceit through the eyes of Victoria and her young vampire army, a love triangle between Bella, Edward and Jacob, and the more human side of the vampires and werewolves through scenes that touch on the past. All these theatrical elements bring the book to life and allow viewers to relive this most important book in the series on the big screen.

I enjoyed this movie from start to finish and I believe if you go into the movie theater and not expect that it should be just like the book, you will be pleasantly surprised that the screenwriter and the director have produced a very well made film that takes the most important parts of one of the most compelling books in the series and creates a film that is both dramatic with a little humor. You will walk out of the theater knowing that this third film has done the franchise justice and will get you pumped up for Breaking Dawn!
129 out of 244 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why are the sequels still being made? oh thats right, its for one kind of audience, 10 year old girls.
dimarzo8514 September 2011
OK, lets start with the acting. Kristen Stewart, your horrible, i mean you disgust me. you show nothing in these movies nothing! i cant even explain it i cant! the way you act in this movie is was awkward i mean its like shes unsure about what to say and do shes just plain horrible. i was actually watching the movie saying to the TV what in the hell is wrong with you? and Robert patingson or whatever i can care less what his name is where did he come from? lol its just awful man the books are alright but these movies are plain out just for 10 year old girls thats it. i see only little girls talking about it thats it, real critics know this movie is garbage, just garbage. please stop making these please don't even proceed with the last 2. gosh, these movies suck!
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Twilight – Eclipse: Please make it stop!
Da_Anders24 July 2011
I have never seen such a boring excuse for a movie in a long, long time. Hell, I don't think I've EVER seen such a boring movie. "Well well", the sceptics say, "you hate this movie because you hate the Twilight-phenomenon in general". No, I don't. I don't hate Twilight just because it is cool to do so, I hate it because it is so mind-numbingly bad! I can't for the love of God understand why anybody would find the "love" drama contained in this sclockfest interesting and captivating. The first movie (Twilight) and the second (New Moon) was pure crap, but THIS, this takes the ****** cake! The poor characters (or "talking cardboard cut-outs") pukes out one melodramatic line after another, never giving any reason for the audience to relate to them in any way. The "development" of the characters are non-existent, they are as uninteresting when the movie begins as they are when it ends; Edward is an emo-creep, Jacob is his usual stiff self and Bella still uses her eternally open mouth as an insect catcher. Just close your damned mouth, will ya?!

The story is basically the same as the previous movies, only with new dull characters thrown in and some small changes made to the script. Not only is the writing bad, but the execution and build-up to the final climactic fight scenes in the movie is constructed in the completely wrong way! There is never any suspense and the viewer is never uncertain over what will happen to the characters, because the viewer already knows which side will win due to the fact that the vampires forges an alliance with the monster dogs and says something like "We will win this easily" and outnumbers their enemies two-to-one. Hurrah for crappy script! It is a bit more suspenseful when Edward and that red haired chick fights but seriously, who cares about any of the characters at this point?

In my mind, the Twilight movies are fantasy movies (containing magic and supernatural stuff, you know), but unlike other fantasy movies for teens ("Harry Potter" comes to mind) Twilight doesn't really give the impression of containing any MAGIC, ADVENTURE and SUSPENSE that STIRS THE IMAGINATION. Instead the series are more like the real-world-equivalent of cleaning toilets for a living, a high-school drama with toothless vampires and shabby monster dogs that probably smells like that dead bird your cat dragged in last week. It is that bad. Vampires are really over-saturated in the entertainment business right now, can't we just dump them all in a giant mouldy coffin and send them back to Transylvania?
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.