The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 (2011) Poster

Breaking Dawn: I miss Buffy
Smells_Like_Cheese5 January 2012
Let me start by saying that I would claim these movies to be in the best of cinema category if they just changed the genre from "drama, romance, horror" to "comedy". That's seriously all they need to do because the awful dialog is back, the horrendous story and the terrible characters are back. You know the funny thing is, the story actually has some extreme potential to be a great horror story with some in depth drama and dimensional characters with a powerful conflict. A vampire has sex with a human impregnating her with a child that will most likely kill her but she doesn't want to give the baby up so easily. But this is Twilight, where Bella Swan likes to play boys back and forth like a pin pon ball and the boys are chumps.

The newlyweds Bella Swan and Edward Cullen are finally together forever as they are wisked away to a private island where they make love for the first time, but everything is cut short when a series of betrayals and misfortunes threatens to destroy their world. Bella soon discovers she is pregnant, and during a nearly fatal childbirth, Edward finally fulfills her wish to become immortal. But the arrival of their remarkable daughter, Renesmee, sets in motion a perilous chain of events that pits the Cullens and their allies against the Volturi, the fearsome council of vampire leaders, setting the stage for an all-out battle. In the end of the movie, Bella, with her baby cut out of her and injected with vampire venom, finally wakes up from a coma. But will she turn into a vampire in time to raise a cute little CGI vampire baby? You'll have to wait another year to find out.

I swear on my life, Bella Swan would have made a great Shakespeare villain somewhere. This is the most selfish, manipulative, self righteous little (you know the B word that I cannot say on IMDb) ever in the history of books or cinema. She finally gets her wish, she's married Edward with the same "enthused" look that she always has with that dumb open mouth grin with bunny teeth and yet she's STILL flirting around with Jacob, sometimes in front of her husband! She's made every bad decision known to man, yet she still continues the same path where she wants to remain human for a few more nights because she doesn't want to hurt on her honeymoon, umm, you've been begging to be a vampire and picking at Edward every chance you get and when told that he could kill you she's like "yeah, it's cool". He hurts her with bruises and she's like the abused wife "no, it's OK, I know he loves me". Then she gets pregnant and everyone is begging her to get rid of the baby as it will kill her, she says with the same dumb grin and expression of monotone voice "it's a miracle". Oh, my God, how this is supposed to be the woman that these two guys are fighting over? She's so boring, so awful, not pretty, doesn't have any special talent, what is wrong with this world that they think she is worth fighting for?! All these immortals are risking their lives for this girl who is the blandest character you've ever seen.

Jacob comes into Edward's home, disrespects him and cuddles up to Bella and Edward is cool with it, almost encourages it. Taylor Lautner, I give him a little credit because during this one sick scene where Bella says she'd name the baby if it was a boy "Edward Jacob" and he has a look of disgust that I had too. Finally, someone almost stood up to Bella! I'm not crazy! They use full songs during the movie that are so random and out of place that it felt so awkward. The story is 30 minutes long into a 2 hour movie that isn't interesting and is an unintentional comedy. Billy Burke is the only actor who seems to give any kind of emotion to his role and I think he's just playing it like he's expressing in real life that he's just sick of this franchise. I give the movie credit for making me laugh hysterically, I needed a good laugh and Breaking Dawn definitely gave that to me. No matter which director they get, this series is doomed and tame. They are milking it for every penny by splitting a book that was written by a 5 year old into a 2 part movie that is drawn out with no suspense or interesting moments. I don't know why women(I'm a woman by the way) love this franchise, it's insulting and absolutely horrible. I have to cut the comment off but just trust me, I could go on about how bad this movie is but we'll sum it up by saying: skip it.

80 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Forced To See This
Fields2013 December 2011
I know I'm late in reviewing this and probably no one is reading this review, but I had a hot date for this one and I couldn't say no. She really wanted to see this, and she had a thrill in dragging me along despite me not wanting to see this at all. I was never going to see this or any Twilight movie for that matter. She loved this one. I did not.

The problem, the biggest problem to me, is that it's very, very, very boring. NOTHING HAPPENS! Let's see, we see Jacob take off his shirt in the first two seconds of the movie and then Bella and Edward awkwardly have a wedding with fake smiles on their face. Then she has nightmares, possibly to show some form of entertainment throughout this boredom of a movie, and then there's the reception. That was the only scene I liked in the movie. At least it provided some humor. Then they go off to Rio... and nothing really happens. Yeah, they keep having sex and Bella just keeps wanting more. She calls her dad who is the only likable character, at least to me, in the whole series and then she finds out she's pregnant with some hell spawn, I guess. And vampires and werewolves get ticked off.

Then the dumbest moment happens. The wolves talking to each other. I swear it looked like a Saturday morning cartoon because they were so faked CGI and their voices was so Saturday morning cartoonish that Twi- hards should be offended! Anyway, the movie just drags and drags and I caught myself falling asleep. I held my date's hand and practically made out with it just to keep from falling asleep. I made it through the film. Thank God for that.

After the film, she really looked at me in hopes that I would love it like she did. I really couldn't lie to her and I hate telling her how much I couldn't stand the film. She explained the whole lore of the Twilight series and I still don't get it. I hate these movies. Unfortunately she is dragging me to part 2. At least I can spend more quality time with her.
116 out of 143 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A brilliant example of wooden acting and bad movie making
happinesswhatever3 December 2011
It is a sad world in which such talentless display of acting, screenplay and direction gets any recognition whatsoever.

You do not care about any of the characters, nor is there any chemistry between the supposed lovers Bella and Edward, calling it wooden would be a compliment,instead it is a bored and effortless "going through the motions and I could not care less performance..." Exhibiting with that a huge disrespect for their audience...!

Edward is suppose to be this strong and wise immortal, but instead I see a stupid weakling who faced with any sort of danger at all would appear to rather lay down crying than to stand up for himself..., there is truly no strength of body or soul in him at all, at times it seems he'd rather be Bella... and as for Bella(KStew), it is sad to see how one merchandise has ruined the blossoming of a good actress... it almost appears the Twilight saga has sucked the soul out of her... perhaps she'll recover, perhaps she won't.

I enjoyed the books very much, to my shame. However, this latest instalment has finally managed to kill all my imagined magic this Sage might have once held for me. I finally grew up...
91 out of 121 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the worst movies ever made
djo_3431 January 2012
I watched the first movie in the saga because my wife loved the books. I must say, the acting was good, except for Stewart who is a cold fish. She looks confused or depressed. That is the scope of her acting abilities. The character development was good. The plot was good. And there was enough suspense, mystery and action to make the movie solid.

New Moon introduced the werewolves and Volturi, which added new mystery and suspense. But the Volturi were never heard from again.

In Eclipse, no werewolf makes an appearance until over an hour into the film. And you are already snoring within 40 minutes.

Finally, Breaking Dawn. In the first hour we see a wedding and honeymoon full of pathetic dialog, weak acting, and ZERO imagination. It was slower than a Lifetime production, with less romance, mystery, intrigue, suspense, and action. Stewart's character states it was the best night of her life, yet still not even a smile. She would be fantastic if casted as a corpse.

After watching Rise of the Planet of the Apes, the CG werewolves look like they were rendered in 1991. They look to be about 1200 pounds. They snarl and human voices are heard... but their bark is worst than their bite as no one dies or even gets injured. There movements and interaction with their environment look extremely fake.

The final 10 seconds of the film hold the only suspense or intrigue in the entire movie. These greedy bastards just want teens to pay for two movies when they could have rolled it into one. They could have started the movie with "I Do", shown a quick scene of Bella getting knocked up and getting morning sickness, then the 15 minute finale. This movie was simply a 20 minute prelude to Part Two stretched into 2 hours.

Get your neighbor to rent it, borrow it for 30 minutes and watch the last 15 minutes and you are ready for Part Two.
19 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
worst move ever made?
shervinv25 November 2011
First I had to contemplate whether this rating would have a "spoiler"... It was a tough decision, because that would imply that there's some sort of plot line that I may ruin inadvertently... rest assured, there isn't. I mean we knew Bella and Edward were getting married, and the previews showed there may be a baby in the works, and well, there you have it. But after sitting through this.... thing....for two hours, I thought that I simply MUST write a review. I haven't felt this motivated and energized to write a review in ages! I simply had to start typing as soon as I got home! My goal: to stop just one person from seeing this film. If I do, I will have done my good deed on this earth, and my work on this planet would be done. I know, it's such a minor thing, but hey, it's the little things that count.

The movie starts by a few excusable facial closeups as we see one actor after the next sigh, or smile, or look wistfully or longingly here and there, while the camera lingers on them 30 seconds too long; sometimes with a sarcastic smile which says "I'm really sad inside, but I'm putting on a brave face for you", or a mirthless smile that says: "I'm thinking about a grilled cheese sandwich right now, but I'll just smile and look past you to give the impression that I'm really deeply moved by what you're saying". Now and then the REALLY good actors get to throw in a little knowing crooked half smile to add some REAL gravity to the scene! I could only imagine what deep ironic thoughts they must have been projecting, but alas, it's one of those things that if you have to ask, you're just not cool enough to know. Well! Just when you think you've seen every possible mellow dramatic look and cheesy music combo possible... the director decides to do it again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and just when you thought it couldn't possibly happen again, it does! And then again, and again, and again, .... Oh, and once in a while the director gets in his helicopter and does a senseless nature flyover scene just to break things up a little, and to get a way from the set.

Since I had lots of time during the film to contemplate life, the universe, and everything while I listened to the cheesiest musical scores to ever accompany a film while actors sulked, and stomped, and pouted, glared, and tried to out-overact each other, I wondered, why would this director resort to this inanity? It then hit me! The entire plot could easily be filmed in 30 minutes, and he had a whole hour and a bit to fill! I then empathized with the director as I imagined his moment of panic... it must have been a spot of genius when he realized he could fill the rest of the film with meaningless nature shot after nature shot, and the above-mentioned "let's throw in another drawn out look" scenes.

At various points in the film I drifted, and started to fantasize that sudden weird things would happen to change up the deadening tempo to spice up the film: like Bella would trip over her wedding gown, or Edward and Jacob would profess their love for each other and leave Bella to quiver lip herself into oblivion on her own while nobody cared, but sadly nothing like this happened to save the day.

There was one saving grace, I must say. Even though the theatre was filled with teenage girls, about halfway through the film, one, then another, then another started to laugh out loud! Pretty soon those of us who weren't comatose or brain-dead, joined in. It was something akin to a Christmas miracle! It was just like it happened in Whoville when everyone started to sing together! We the brave, and the few, in our darkest hour, we came together in laughter, and through our laughter whispered to one another: "it's OK, we're in this together, we can make it"! And we did.

When you get to the very end of the film, there's this nail-biter to end all nail-biters.... you'll go through five to ten minutes of nail biting dramatic mastery, there's changing camera angles, and zoom ins, and zoom outs, and music, and really really bad effects ... all inching towards the final finale and the answer you must know: will she live, or is she dead? Don't worry, I won't spoil it, the real spoiler is this: when you get there, you just... won't... care!

So you, standing there getting a last review in before deciding what to do with the evening... don't do it... you know who you are, just... don't... do it!
40 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 (2011)
SnakesOnAnAfricanPlain29 January 2012
I hate Twilight a lot. But nobody can say I am unfair towards it. The third film was actually entertaining and less infuriating. Breaking Dawn Part 1, is different altogether. It is just a horrible product shoved out with no regard for its audience. Bella and Edward get married and go on honeymoon, this last for over an hour. She gets pregnant, which shouldn't be able to happen, and some potentially evil demon baby is sucking the life from her. The films biggest crime is that nothing happens for so long. This series has had a tendency to drag on and on. With New Moon seeming totally unnecessary. What happens here, is that we get one book split into two films. This film has about 30 minutes of material in it. Characters have the same conversations they've had a thousand times before, with nobody evolving. Bella and Edward feel the same way they've always felt, as does Jacob. The sex scene is embarrassingly juvenile, with a quick cut to something from a parody. The film doesn't let up in the absurdity department, as some animated wolves have a conversation with each other, but with mindless growling and dialog, it sounds terrible. What any other film would have shortened into a montage is played out to a variety of banal songs that all sound the same. Finally we get towards the end and the graphic, grotesque birth scene is barely shown at all. It leaves us with a finale in which a wolf "imprints" himself onto a newborn baby in a scene more disturbing than anything The Human Centipede could muster. If you like characters that whine about everything, actors that have no emotional range, and watching slideshows of other people's honeymoons, then you may enjoy this laughable effort.
41 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Breaking dawn, beds and bones...
Chalice_Of_Evil16 November 2011
Bill Condon has achieved the seemingly impossible task of filming that which had been deemed 'unfilmable'.

The book ending for Eclipse (with Jacob running away after receiving the invite to Bella & Edward's wedding), which was left out of the Eclipse film, is where we begin this movie. Breaking Dawn Part 1 thankfully takes its time with (most of) the important moments from the book. The preparation for the wedding, the wedding itself (most intricate back of a wedding dress EVER), the honeymoon (complete with leg-shaving!), and everything involving the pregnancy - these sections of the film are the most focused upon. That said, there are some things left out that may upset some fans. Jacob's section of the book? Condensed. Considerably. Hope you weren't expecting to see the stuff involving him going off to look for somebody to imprint on. It's not here. Sadly, one of the parts I liked most about the book (the stuff with Jacob, Seth & Leah) has been vastly shortened. But at least the major points are there. Maybe we could of got more of them instead of that rather pointless fight scene between the Cullens and the wolves?

Regarding the sex scene and birthing scene, which everyone wants to know about: Well, Bella & Edward having bed-breakingly good sex *is* included, but you can sort of tell there have been cuts. The birthing scene fares a bit better. There is more blood in this scene (and a nightmare Bella has early in the film) than the whole of the three previous movies combined. I can see how this would have been trimmed down also, but I think they really did include as much as they possibly could given the rating (here's hoping for an unedited DVD release). It is definitely an intense emotion-charged scene. Clearly giving birth to half-human half-vampire offspring is no picnic. Dawn isn't the only thing breaking in this movie. There's also the breaking of Bella's bones, thanks to the spawn crushing her from the inside out. One thing the movie nails is making Bella look as sickly as possible. She's so skeletal it's disturbing.

Kristen Stewart is put through the wringer in this film. There's a vast array of feelings Bella has to tangle with. And, yes, she *does* smile, though the happy feelings don't last very long. Edward (or 'The Hair' as Jessica calls him) matches Bella in regards to the number of emotions she goes through. He has to carry all this guilt over the one he loves most, and it clearly takes a toll on him emotionally as much as the pregnancy does on Bella physically. Poor Jacob, meanwhile, isn't having any fun either. These three characters deal with so much throughout the film. Stewart, Pattinson and Lautner (with new stubble) all sell it.

Most characters get at least a brief moment to shine. Some Cullens who aren't Edward get a bit more dialogue than usual (Elizabeth Reaser as Esme is probably the most happy about this). I especially liked seeing some conflict between Alice and Rosalie in regards to Bella's child. The wolves have a few brief scenes here and there. I was thankful for more Seth and Leah in particular. And we finally get to hear what werewolf telepathy sounds like. It's definitely chaotic (which makes sense). Billy Burke and Sarah Clarke as Bella's parents get some great moments, both emotional and humorous. Even new characters like the Denali clan get some screen time. Keep an eye on that Irina (Maggie Grace, who manages to do a lot with a little amount of screen time), she'll be important in Part 2. Bella's friends maybe get a line each. Jessica (Anna Kendrick, who still steals every scene she's in) gets the most. She, along with various other characters, add humour. Given how heavy the storyline is in this film, the humor is a much-appreciated relief.

Things do get very dark post-honeymoon. And one must admire Condon for taking on this film and tackling such touchy subjects as: the fact Edward can't be with Bella completely (while she's still human) without causing bruises. Does he let Bella die giving birth to their spawn? Does Jacob remain loyal to his tribe or side with those he has hated for so long in order to protect Bella? And what of the all-important 'imprinting'? Thankfully, we get a look at what Renesmee will look like when she grows to adulthood (which will be when Jacob starts thinking of her in THAT way. So don't get your panties in a twist about it. If you paid attention, you will know how imprinting works and it won't seem as freaky as it initially sounds).

Condon should also be commended for his direction, as his choice of shots add so much to the film. We even get a look inside Bella to see how the venom changes her. The effects on display during her transformation are really something. I also liked that they included flashbacks to the previous films as we hear Bella's Lullaby play.

If you don't like anything to do with the Twilight franchise, then you're not going to change your opinion by this point. Haters will hate. But for those of us who appreciate it, this movie is a fine interpretation of the first half of the book. As well as the choices of music used, something else these films have always done right is remain true to the source material, including (most of) the important dialogue/moments from the books. Things end in a logical place and leave you anxiously awaiting Part 2. And if you stay for a little while after the end credits start, there's an extra scene involving the Volturi.
207 out of 297 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrible and boring
mailfrommonique25 November 2011
They just can not act, I do not know why they still getting with this girl but she is terrible actor, she can't transmit her emotions and that is the first opposite for an actor, it just was boring.

Oh and Edward wasn't shining under the sun in Brazil, they forgot that part, and that's a huge mistake in vampire movie if he doe's not afraid of the sun light.

They could do better then this but before change the actress she is horrible in acting.

Cutting the movie in parts was a terrible Idea too, its not like a Harry Potter containing to much information its just a love story movie that does not transmits love.

So in a few words it was HORRIBLE AND BORING.
202 out of 291 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring
taz-8121 November 2011
If you're a big time fan of the books, you have probably hyped yourself up to a fevered expectation rendering you incapable of any objectivity. This film, of it's own merit, would have never made it to the theaters. In a word, it is very "boring"... unless your hyped, it bites! (pun intended). Many of the scenes were obvious fillers with terrible dialogue. The acting was so-so from most of the lead performers, with the sole exception being Billy Burke (Charlie), who appears to be a very good actor. About half way through the film I kept looking at my watch hoping the 117 minutes would be over soon.

I am being forced at this point to continue writing when in fact I have nothing more to say about this boring sequel of a film called Breaking Dawn. According to the rules ones' review must be at least 10 lines minimum. So what you're reading right now is the completely unnecessary and unpleasantly annoying filler, mandated by IMDb.
168 out of 245 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
50 minute wedding followed by 50 minutes of birthing pain!
zeetoddy3 December 2011
Yes, it IS awful! The books are good, but this movie is a travesty of epic proportions! 4 people in front of me stood up and walked out of the movie. It was that bad. Yes, 50 minutes of wedding...very schlocky accompanied by sappy music. I actually timed the movie with a stop watch I was so bored. There is about 20 minutes of action and the rest is Bella pregnant and dying. The end. No, seriously. One of the worst movies I have ever seen. If it didn't have such a big budget and hype it would rank with one of the worst horror movies out there. The movie is plain stupid and cheesy and by far the worst of the series. The first two movies were nowhere near this awful!
26 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WTF was that?
Beck5521 November 2011
(I never read the books so this comment is strictly directed to movie franchise)

WTF WAS THAT? Almost 2 hours of NOTHING. God Damn it!, that was sad. It was a F-U to the public and especially to the fans. They might as well have sold us a bucket of sh*t, so we can carry something home because I got nothing from this movie. Not a laugh nor a cry, not even a boner (Bella looks like sh*t).

Let's recap the series:

1 - The first movie was OK, it was new and different. I actually enjoyed it.

Then they started shooting sh*t into our eyes.

2 - The second movie was exactly the same as the first (plot wise) but with wolfs.

3 - The third had more action and featured the Volfucks and an "army" (really? The word that's used is army?) of 10 young vampires who died in about 2 min. after the fight started.

4 - Then came this piece of sh*t movie, the fourth, and its plot: (ATTENTION THIS CONTAINS SPOILERS!!! IF YOU DIDN'T SEE THE MOVIE YET SKIP THE FOLLOWING LINE!!!) Edward and Bella get married and have a kid - F-U!.

I don't understand why the final part of the series had to be split in 2. This movie would've taken 30 min. (tops) of the Breaking Dawn complete movie.

They really took a massive dump on the fans. And yet, some of then appear here to defend the movie which we all know (fans and none-fans) it was absolute crap.
77 out of 109 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A vampire movie/paranormal romance but without the bite...
TheLittleSongbird19 November 2011
I am neither a Twilight fan or a Twilight detractor. This said, I am indifferent to the franchise. As far as the movies, I still think, coming from someone whose knowledge of the books only comes from my sister being a fan and me reading a chapter of one and putting it down, that the best is Eclipse(not saying much) and New Moon the worst. But that is not a consolation really. Breaking Dawn: Part 1 is not quite among the worst of the year and nowhere near among the worst ever, however it suffers from some major problems that I will get to later in the review.

So what was it that got me seeing Breaking Dawn: Part 1 in the first place? The answer was its director, Bill Condon. I am familiar with his previous films and find him a promising director and writer, finding his films well written, observed and acted. Gods and Monsters is amazing and one of my favourites, Kinsey was interesting and Dreamgirls elevated by the soundtrack and cast was quite decent. Did Condon do a good job directing? For me, I am not sure. I'd say of the four Twilight movies so far Breaking Dawn: Part 1 has the most cinematic feel to it, on the other hand there is not much here that made Condon's previous films so good and I'd go as far to say it is the film of his that engaged me the least.

Are there any redeeming qualities to this instalment? I think so actually. Although there are moments of sloppy editing, I did like the look of the film. At some points it was quite Gothic, and at others it had either an evergreen or autumnal feel to it. The scenery often does look stunning, the effects are okay I guess and the cinematography especially with the close-ups of the back of the wedding dress and the final shot is some of the best of the franchise in my opinion.I also liked Carter Burwell's score. I like Burwell a lot, his music has a hypnotic and quite hauntingly beautiful quality to it. For my tastes though some of the pop tunes are on the insipid side, however the score itself was pleasant with a lot of what I like about Burwell evident.

Much has been said about the sex scene. In all honesty I was expecting it to be of hilariously cheesy quality, but somehow Condon brought a little more subtlety than I was expecting. The last thirty minutes was perhaps the most exciting Breaking Dawn: Part 1 got, as some of does have purpose and intensity, which was something that the first half of the film did not have.There are also two good performances, Billy Burke and Michael Sheen, the latter being another point of interest. Burke as always is amusing with some of the better lines of the film(though is that saying much do you think?), while Sheen, ever the great actor, adopts a menace and magnetism as Aro without overdoing it too much. Ashley Greene is also quite good, if not great.

I have to say I still don't think much of the acting of the central trio. Kristen Stewart is much better than she is in New Moon, with much less of the moping and dead pauses, but some of her line delivery is still awkward and her facial expressions for my tastes are lifeless. It doesn't help though that Bella is a rather dull character.Robert Pattinson has more to do than he did in New Moon and is less hammy than in the first film(the looking into the camera moments brought moments of unintentional laughter when I first went to see Twilight when it came out). As a matter of fact this is perhaps his best performance of the series and he is certainly the best of the central trio, but like Stewart some of the line delivery could've been more inspired.

Taylor Lautner on the other hand is getting worse and worse. He is hunky to be sure, but does that alone make you a good actor? Not to me. I will give credit and say he is better than he was in this year's Abduction, where both the film and performance were awful, but the more dramatic moments from him felt forced and overplayed, and throughout there was a very stilted nature about him. A lot of the problem is to do with the writing. The dialogue in the Twilight franchise never was particularly good, saying this though in terms of written quality this is Twilight at its most banal, its most clunky and its most cheesy. The characters are clichéd and underdeveloped too, and at the end of the day you don't care for anybody. Oh, and the talking wolves were poorly done and unintentionally funny.

The story is very bland and unengaging, not to mention thin structurally and in content. The whole of the first half reads little more than ponderous melodrama. Was the wedding lavish? Yes it was. But it was also plodding and over-extended. The second half fares better, still with the clunky dialogue, uneven acting and cheesy, underdeveloped plot points and characterisations, but as I said the last thirty minutes or so serves as the highlight of the film. But for me what killed the film was the pace. Mind you, I have seen movies with slow pacing, but they are often paced deliberately and with strong meanings, great acting and dialogue and identifiable characters. With little of that here, Breaking Dawn: Part 1 not only is dull and plodding but also uninteresting and without bite.

Overall, despite my admiration for Condon and Sheen, this didn't work. The ending is highly suggestive of a continuation, which I understand is happening. If so, I do hope it will be better than this. 4/10 Bethany Cox
98 out of 145 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A horrible experience
Argemaluco19 November 2011
The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 is a horrible film, and the worst one from the saga so far. To start with, this first episode of the fourth part introduces new elements only to leave them aside and waste their potential, and the story feels terribly boring.

The supposed romance which should sustain this film feels absolutely bland and uninteresting. Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson bring atrocious performances as the leading couple, while the rest of the cast seems to be there only in order to charge a paycheck.

The previous filmography from director Bill Condon includes two excellent films (Gods and Monsters and Kinsey), but it is obvious that he made The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 as a mercenary, because his work feels absolutely listless and lacking of any vision.

I have to mention that The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 offers some moments of involuntary humor. From the pathetic performances brought by Stewart and Pattinson to the weak special effects, there are some opportunities to laugh at the technical, histrionic and narrative blunders from this film. And since I just mentioned the special effects, the werewolves look totally fake, and they appear in one of the worst scenes I have seen in a long time...one of those which provoke an absolute embarrassment combined with the incredulity of knowing that someone considered that a good idea.

In conclusion, The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 is an unbearable film, which made me snooze very frequently and made me feel like wasting my time. I know that this film is having many female fans...I respect them, but I honestly do not understand them.
259 out of 404 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you are not a twilight fan you are definitely not gonna like it
Lyra-gp20 November 2011
To rate this movie I think I should split my opinion in two: The twilighter side and the neutral side. Read the part that better mirrors your attitude.

NEUTRAL: The movie has no cinematographic value at all. Just a lame, slow, in places disgusting report of how a vampire-human marriage could be in the first part, and a badly directed (with some very awkward moments) plot development in the second part. I could not help noticing the derisiveness of some scenes; e.g. the one in which the transformed Jacob addresses his other fellows (I thought the movie was turning into a joke at that very moment!) and the one in which Bella makes the bloodshake fall to the ground and kind of breaks her back. A praise goes to the actors: the acting is not bad, is not bad at all considering that, in my opinion, nothing better could have been done (Kristen Stewart's performance is not bad and I found very convincing the character of Jacob). Another criticize goes to the movie slowness; in fact, those who are not very fond of Ed and Bell's love story might probably find the fully detailed and slow part in which the two get married really annoying. Finally, I would rate this movie, in this case, with 4,5 out of 10.

TWILIGHTER: I do think very few fans will be disappointed by this installment. Let's be onest, I was almost crying during the scene of the wedding (and I'm a male!!!) mainly because of my affection for the series (I was platonically in love with the story when the first Twilight movie came out). That's the truth: this movie's been made just for those who have always followed and liked the Twilight saga. I don't expect anyone to suddenly turn up and say: I've never given a *** about this series but I've found the movie absolutely awesome! This movie is for us Twilighters all around the world. Because all those scenes have an emotional meaning only in case you are very fond of the series. In this case I can and want turn many blind eyes (may I say it? haha) in the name of my affection for the saga. I enjoyed the Ed and Bell's wedding night, all those particulars (they even play chess!) that made me feel good during the projection of this movie. In this case I would rate the movie with 9 out of 10.

That's all, according to my opinion. Thanks for reading.
231 out of 360 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Breaking Dawn - Part 1 Serves As A Mediocre Comedy
claytonj8716 December 2011
Last night I went to go see The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 1. I should lay a few facts out on the table. First, I have read and own all of the books. Second, this is the first of the movies that I have not seen at midnight. Third, I waited until almost a month after its release because I could not get through that trailer without bursting out laughing and I did not want to be attacked by rabid Twihards. Fourth, I consumed half a pitcher of a Donnie Daiquiri at my local Cinebarre while viewing this film. Now that I have put that out in the open, onto the review.

The fourth installment of The Twilight Saga brings us to the event many avid fans have been waiting for, the wedding of Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart) and Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson). The movie begins by showing us a sequence of people getting the waterproof invitation to aforementioned wedding, set to an unnecessarily sweeping score. Of course young Jacob Black (Taylor Lautner) is not happy about this turn of events and morphs into a werewolf to deal with his troubles. They get married, finally have sex, and 13 days later it is discovered that Bella is pregnant with an aggressively kicking little... something… That Bella insists on carrying despite the fact that it is killing her.

Visually this is the best of the franchise. Bill Condon (Dreamgirls) brings polish to the film that the others lack. There is a sense of balance and purpose to his shots. It t seems as if Condon was trying to make something out of very little. Other props go to the special effects used to show Bella's transformation from healthy 18 year-old to a literal corpse. There are moments where they show her bones looking as if they are trying to poke through her skin and her complexion looks more like that of a zombie than a human. That however, is where the positives end.

The script, written by Melissa Rosenberg, at times feels more like a pro-life argument than entertainment. While some characters acknowledge that whatever is growing inside of Bella is slowly draining her life and should not be carried to term, others insist that Bella should sacrifice anything for it. They even go so far as to correct anytime someone says fetus or thing, repeatedly saying that it is a baby. The first time it was not annoying, it merely clarified how the different characters viewed what was growing inside of Bella, but after the 5th time it felt a little redundant. Add into the mix some fight scenes that have so much CGI it is difficult to distinguish who is fighting who and it makes you miss the moments at the beginning where Bella seems to be terrified of getting married and the 10 minute sequence of her trying to entice her new husband to have sex with her.

The acting in this movie remains mediocre, which is a rise from where we began in Twilight. Stewart still does not know how to show emotion, unless it is complete discomfort, Pattinson still has a blank stare and slight grimace on his face at all times, even as his wife is dying, and Lautner is trying.

This movie tries to act like it is a lot more epic than it is so here is the warning: Despite what the music will have you to think nothing in this story is really epic, nothing in this story is good, nothing in this story is really compelling at this point. However, if you liked the previous installments go see it. Or if you want to get drunk and laugh your ass off for two hours.
16 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Top Twenty-Eight Things I Learned From Twilight 4a: Part 1
thesar-230 January 2012
1. And God said: "Since AIDS didn't teach you, I bestow 'Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 1' upon you."

2. The cast's acting ability is equivalent to a possum under attack.

3. Shouting out "You did THIS!" to a man who recently impregnated his wife isn't just insulting…it's obvious.

4. While playing chess, it is appropriate to gleefully proclaim: "I win!" like a five-year-old verses the oh-so-ancient "checkmate."

5. According to the morals of somewhat-writer Stephanie Meyer, it is acceptable to kill humans as long as you're in the healthy position of playing both judge and executioner. Long-live mormons.

6. If it was previously okay for someone over 100 to woo someone under 18-years-old, then I guess the same could be done for a teen to an 18-minute-old infant.

7. 'Twilight' contains as many vampires as the Republican Party contains Christians.

8. Within 3-seconds of the start time, Jacob rips off his shirt. Release the horny and lonely 50-year-old moms!

9. Werewolves tend to get sick at the sight of blood, apparently.

10. You know you have script problems when George Lucas, himself, has dialogue suggestions.

11. The original subtitle of 'Breaking Wind' was questionably rejected.

12. Soap Operas, left and right, are being cancelled and yet this has a theatrical release? My apologies, World.

13. Mercifully, to cut some costs on lighting, the moon is full in every night shot, despite the continuity of scenes.

14. If this is the Anti-Abortion-Advertisement it screams, I will pull the hanger myself.

15. More got accomplished in the 16 Republican debates than in two draining hours here.

16. I've heard the same bed that breaks in the movie during Edward and Bella's sex scene happens in the book. Big deal; I used to call that: Tuesday Night.

17. Worried your unborn child might become a demonic offspring? Turn to Yahoo™ on an Apple™ laptop for all your answers.

18. Who knew a pack of talking dogs could be this funny, outside of Pixar's 'Up'?

19. The Mayans calendar has been recalculated to narrow the end of days to 2/11/12. In a completely unrelated story, 'Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 1' is being released on video that same day.

20. Wincing as hard as you can and uttering the line: "Why can't you see how perfectly happy I am?" isn't the most believable pose to convince someone they're good in bed.

21. Finally, a movie I can agree actors deserved a $30 million paycheck. Isn't that the going rate for a soul?

22. I believe in Guilty Pleasures. Although, to call 'Twilight' that, would only be half-right.

23. Some women are undeniably psychic when it comes to pregnancy. For example, Bella acts constipated for roughly 2 weeks prior to her actual conception.

24. I admit: I've never been to war. But, I can imagine watching this is what it's like seeing someone's arm getting blown off.

25. How…can…anyone…keep a straight face with dialogue such as "'Kind' is my middle name"?

26. Pitching a movie in Hollywood should always take longer than the writing of the screenplay. Right?

27. Breakfast of champions: Chicken, Peanut Butter and Vomit. I wonder if she's pregnant.

28. Failed attempt at positivity: It's not as bad I thought it would be. It's worse.
32 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
sooo bad
aasmundk327 January 2012
Probably one of the worst movies i have ever seen. The movie itself was boring, with no twists or highlights what so ever. The acting, just terrible. No real emotions, or a connection with the audience. Thank god i downloaded this, and therefor didn't waste any money on it. I liked the first Twilight movie. Because, like someone else said, it was new and exciting. But this one, no, simply horrible. I would not recommend this movie to anyone. The only reason this movie is not a huge flop. Is because of all the 12 year old girls who watch it without considering the over all quality of the film. I hope movies like this, does not become a trend within the movie community. Its nothing but a forced, and failed try, in making a good sequel to the first movie, and a good adaptation of the book.
18 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm damaged for life...
itisnoita8 December 2011
OMG!!! I have been trough a HORRIBLE ordeal!!! I doubt I ever will fully recover from this... O.O I had never, I mean EVER imagined that my eyes would witness something that horrible, that outstandingly gruesome that the movie Breaking Dawn turned out to be! OMG! I had a moment of weakness and let myself be talked into watching the new Twilight movie...yes..yes I know...I should have seen it coming...I mean, the last movies have by no mean shown any indication that the upcoming sequels would suddenly turn into quality entertainment. But I never saw this coming...I would rather have been shot in my kneecaps and been hung up on meet hooks for days, than suffered through this terrible, SHOCKING piece of Mormon scheisse! WHY do people go crazy over this fundamentalist Mormon MORON'S openly anti abortion propaganda with it's dogmatic brainwash attempt to convince that it's "God's will to wait until you're married"!?!?!? AND that you should always ALWAYS give birth to WHATEVER "child" you're carrying, no matter of how it got there or if it so will kill you!!! All the while, ALL THE WHILE; This utterly boring little slut, with NO character or personality (or acting skills for that matter) what so ever, is playing with two guys FOR YEARS! So, you have a movie that is openly trying to teach Christian (Mormon) "values and morale", BUT is saying at the same time that it's completely OK for you to be a horny little 'beep' who manipulates people and keeps them from living their own life...And if you think they might be slipping away, here's an idea NAME YOUR FREAKING MISTAKE OF A CHILD with BOTH of the guys names!!! Gaaah!!!! NOT TO FORGET that the bruises in the movie, that were caused by Eddie "The hair" dear's "vampire strength" is in fact in the book bruises cause he beat her, so that's another great Mormon message for all your daughters, submission to your man, no control over your own body AND you should accept the occasional beating once you have the ring on your finger. I will not be caught DEAD watching another one of these piece of poop propaganda movies with twisted messages and ideas! Over n out!
30 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What the bloody hell did I just watch?
ensnowed8 December 2011
The films starts with the wedding invitations, progresses to the wedding itself, after which (skeleton) Stewart and Patterson ('The Hair') will go on a honeymoon, where Stewart will get pregnant, and she eventually almost dies. That's it. Two hours, and that's it. After the first part I've found myself thinking that it wasn't as boring as I expected it to be, in all honesty. But then I thought about it, and realized it's just like going to McD or BK (or any places like this). You go there because you fancy a hamburger or cheeseburger, take your pick. While you're eating it, you think it's not bad, but afterwards you're wondering, what was it that I ate? What is that hamburger made of, and that cheese tasted like garbage... It's exactly the same with this film. You watch it because you fancy a nice, emotional, non-intellectual random film. Afterwards, you'll find yourself thinking: what the *** was this? The first hour mainly contained Stewart and Patterson making out, and making out, and making out even more! Not even at the wedding Stewart looked happy, nor at the honeymoon. I was disappointed by the cheekiness of the film, especially the first half. It was so bad! Seriously, take a bowl, you're going to puke. And not because of the amount of blood, because frankly it's hardly there. The second part,I admit was slightly better. Lautner was also disappointing to me, though, his acting doesn't come through to me. It just stays on the screen. The wolf part was actually quite cool, where Lautner would stand up for Stewart and her child, and when he could hear voices. But the vampires fighting with the wolves? Not so much, I found myself thinking: whatever. Seriously. Awkward when Patterson realized that Lautner had imprinted on his daughter. If I were a father, I'd freak out. Honestly, he fell in love with Stewart, who is his age, and then falls in love with her daughter? I wouldn't sound cool. At all. The best part was the transformation. How on the outside, she lookes dead, and the shots from her veins, where you see the venom spread, is very well done. Well done, Condon, I knew you had it in you. Please, show more of your incredible director skills in the next part. Frankly, you can do so much better than this.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Inconvenience of Vampire Nookie
bkrauser-81-3110646 December 2013
For those not familiar with the rules of the Official Twilight drinking game they are as follows.

Take a shot/sip when... 1. Someone says the word vampire or wolf or any variation including "newborns". 2. Whenever someone sparkles. 3. When the father appears in police uniform. 4. Whenever someone is brooding. 5. Whenever an obnoxious hipster indie song is being played in the background. 6. Whenever someone doesn't have his shirt on. 7. Whenever someone gives an unrealistically generous gift, does a foolishly gallant act or otherwise bends the rules of common sense for Bella.

Drink the rest of the bottle when... 1. Someone unattractive or out of shape is on screen. 2. Something in a scene makes you feel anything other than sleepiness or the need to plant your face in your hands.

Thus I delved into the world of Breaking Dawn Part 1. In this film, Edward and Bella take the plunge so she can become a vampire like she's always wanted. Jacob pisses and moans, and Bella has unprotected sex while still human resulting in her mutant baby trying to eat its way out of her womb. You know, true love and all that good stuff.

My roommate, whose expertise on Twilight I value as much as one reasonably can, filled in some of the holes that went unexplained or glossed over in the flick. Why can't they just turn her into a vampire while pregnant? Because it would kill the baby. Why is the act of sex with a vampire while human potentially deadly? Because their skins as hard as diamonds and they're super strong. How can these vampires live for eons amassing enough money to afford a private island off the coast of Brazil without the IRS at least knowing about it? And for that matter why would vampires want a vacation home in sunny Rio anyway? Just shut up and watch the movie!

My roommate did bring up an interesting notion that was not explained in the movie nor, she believes, explained in the book. How can they even have sex? Vampires have no pulse so they have no blood actually coursing through their veins. It only stands to reason that Edward can't get his little Dracula to stand at attention. So Bella is waiting to be turned, just so she can have human carnal knowledge of a cold corpse with a flaccid iditarod. Perhaps if you're being turned into a bloodsucker while you're performing (its been known to happen in vampire movies) then you'd have a fully erect projectile for always and forever but that would be a very inconvenient case of rigamortis. You'd never be able to wear mesh shorts, birds would always want to perch on you and all your vampire friends would always call you Vlad the Impaler. But on the positive side you'd actually achieve every pubescent boy's deep seeded fantasy; you could use you're dingus as a weapon!

Of course its all fun and games until someone gets pregnant. That's why its important kids, to make and keep important commitments to your loved ones. In this case, commit to spending the rest of eternity with a manipulative Gothic horror monster before getting jiggy with it or else be forced to drink O- slurpees while your ribcage and spine breaks from the force of your bloodthirsty monster child. By the way, the baby's name is Renesmee a mix of Bella's mother's name and the punchline of a cruel practical joke. The newborn is also imprinted by Jacob which is a way for a werewolf to leave his marking that disappointingly doesn't involve rising his hind legs.

In the end, Breaking Dawn Part 1 is a vapid, stupid, glacierly paced movie with very little going for it other than the welcome sight of Bella withering away. So its a substantial improvement from the rest of the series. I actually look forward to the next and hopefully final chapter in the franchise. Maybe if I get liquored up before the premiere (or during), I would only remember the good parts, like the credits.

13 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The worst Twilight movie
nanajbg20 November 2011
I've read the books; although they are sexist and were clearly written for the immature female reader, I still enjoyed them. It was just so easy and fun to re-live the first-crush-drama and all the hormonal feelings through Bella. This have said, the books still have some interesting details and plot twists that could satisfy even a more demanding reader.

And than came the movies...

First of all, I don't know why they had to make a movie (or even two!) for every book?! There just isn't enough material to do so. Hell, the whole story of the first part could be summed up in one sentence. The characters just aren't deep and real enough to carry the movie. They aren't supposed to be, they need to be interchangeable with any teenage movie viewer who fantasizes about some unreachable love story.

And the plot is just dragged on and on...

It's like the director has given up of making a good movie. What's the point anyway? The emo-teenage-girl the franchise is supposed to speak to will go to see the movie either way. It will earn money whether you put in the work or not.

And the last book was so film-able; I was already imagining the movie in my mind. It had enough action, enough new elements that weren't already shown in the past parts. But again, it was more important to milk the audience for just one more time, then to make a half-way decent movie.

I still like the story, and will go to see the second part, but I'm just disappointed; this movie is just a reminder of today's capitalist society with no interest than money and financial gain.
158 out of 251 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazingly..... this film is worse than Beverley Hills Cop 3
aphilp-10-42203613 February 2012
I never thought I would find a film that was actually worse than BHC 3 but here it is...

For a start, it's so obvious they are padding this out into two movies to get as much money as possible from the piece of crap series but the first 35 minutes was literally 'Prepare for wedding, get married, have honeymoon' all set against horrible cheap massage parlour relaxation music.

I paid money on Apple TV so my wife could watch this, even though I spent the entire movie reading a magazine the sheer awfulness of this movie entered my soul through osmosis.

Please do not watch this movie or give any money to this crap franchise.
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
These vampires really DO suck!
kell_smurthwaite3 December 2011
Have now watched breaking Dawn Pt 1 and can honestly say it is the biggest heap of sh*te ever! If I had paid money to see it, I would be going postal on everyone who conspired to take my money from me. It was absolutely awful! I only watched this because a) I'm a completist when it comes to all things vampire and I've read all the books (below mediocre) and watched the previous films, and b) I figured it couldn't get any worse than the last one. I was wrong. The series started poorly and went downhill fast. There are SO many things wrong with it that it would be impossible to list them all, but a couple are that the CGI wolves are even worse than the ones they had in The Day After Tomorrow (and they were bloody awful!), and there were several instances where vamps had sunlight shining directly on them and there were absolutely no sparkles (but then, I think VAMPIRES SHOULDN'T SPARKLE anyway). I could wax lyrical on the poor performances and go into detail about just how badly the scene where the wolves were all talking telepathically sucked, but I'd just bore everyone.

The soundtrack to this one is pretty nothing-y as well. And the music is pretty much constant. It reminded me of when I tried to watch Twin Peaks, but couldn't because the constantly-present music was so loud I could hardly make out what the characters were saying. In this instance, I COULD hear what was being said, but the music playing ALL THE TIME was still very annoying. Sometimes there's a lot to be said for background SILENCE or just natural sound instead of music. I honestly cannot recall a single moment in that film where there wasn't music playing - it drove me absolutely nuts! It possibly doesn't help that the other film I watched last night (The Ides of March) was nothing short of brilliant and, in my opinion, a definite contender for several Oscar nominations, so BDP1 suffered even more in comparison. At least my whole evening wasn't a complete bust! I would have happily paid twice for The Ides of March - it's THAT good!
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The weakest installment........
davispittman3 August 2015
This film was definitely the worst in the franchise, and I do realize that this film was needed In order to set the stage for Breaking Dawn Part 2, but still this film was very dull and really dragged along. The beginning of the movie was fine, but as it went on, it really started to drag, and I was getting bored, and was just begging for something to happen. The big honeymoon scene was well done, not too graphic, but it still showed the romance between Bella and Edward. I did enjoy the honeymoon part of the movie. Later on, is where the problem started, the film really failed to keep the viewers attention, which was disappointing. 3/10 for breaking dawn part 1
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nothing so bad and still funny since Ed Wood
spikemaze25 November 2012
Why did I even watch this movie? I read a mock cartoon about the Twilight saga on 9gag and this morning my newborn son was sleeping on me and I was really bored. Maybe it was the lack of sleep.

I don't know how to describe how horribly but funny this movie is. It's nothing like Ed Wood, but has the same way of enchanting the viewer by how terribly it is.

The movie starts out with the werewolf getting mad and Bella's dad worries because Bella Swan is getting married. And despite a lot of horrible nightmares about the wedding, she goes through with it. It's as if she takes every good advice from her father and friends and does the complete opposite.

Which of course tuns out badly for her. The movie is filled with stone-faced acting, overly dramatic music and voiced-over wolf talk. Even the makeup is bad. But the absolute worst is the simple and ridiculous story by Stephanie Meyer which proves that books can be a waste of paper.

So why watch this movie? Well, if you're bored and want a laugh about the stupidity of those people who like these films, I think this is the perfect movie for you. Just don't spend any money on it.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.