Father of the Bride (2022) Poster

Standard Remake in this era style.
christopherstamp22 June 2022
Take a beloved movie - force fit, gender swaps, nationality and sexuality to appear inclusive. And at the end of the day - for the political cash grab using nostalgia to gain money.

Literally the Covid - short reunion clip - of the original cast as if their characters had continued was much more entertaining that this.

Add this to the list: Ocean 8 Ghostbusters 2018 Home Sweat Home Alone Etc.

Miss the days movies were made with original ideas, heart and soul.
45 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good but I prefer the 1991 version
lisafordeay17 June 2022
Father of The Bride is a 2022 remake based on the 1950 original and the 1991 version of the same name. Starring Andy Garcia,Gloria Estefan and Isabella Merced,this version focuses on a Cuban family The Herrera's who are going through a tough time as Bill and his wife Ingrid(Garcia and Estefan) are going through a divorce. Things take a turn however when their oldest daughter Sofia announces that she is getting married to Adan Castillo(Diego Boneta).

Will Bill tell his daughter the truth about his failed marriage.

Overall I liked how it wasn't a beat by beat off the Steve Martin one,but the comedy wasn't even that good. Not once did I laugh at this film.

5.0/10.
33 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
And yet again, another remake.
jonasatmosfera19 June 2022
Hollywood is dead. Brain dead.

It cannot make anything original anymore. Since they ran out of ideas, they resort to remakes, one after the other...

We had the 1950, 1991, 1995 versions of "TFOTB". Now, we have a sanitized version of the same story adapted to a more modern mindset and reflecting current mores and values. And because of it, "TFOTB" sucks, as expected.

Modern life in America is a caricature of what it once was, and everything that is made based on how things should look like feels abysmally stupid, dull and depressing.

Do yourself a favor and stay away from it.
64 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ignore the soul sucking haters of everything
terrylarosa18 June 2022
Good version of the story with a Latino family. The film makes Miami ( my hometown ) look beautiful. Though I had to laugh at a wedding outdoors in September where everyone would have been sweltering. Garcia and to a smaller degree Estefan steal the movie. Some good funny moments with a likable cast, Hispanic perspective and a spectacular locale make this a very watchable remake. Ignore the usual detractors of everything who are miserable in their own misbegotten lives and project that unto anything that even hints at being fun. One reviewer said that Garcia and Estefan have no chemistry. Of course not they're getting divorced. What possible chemistry would there be at this point. But these are the inconsequential complaints from people with zero perspective. You be the judge. Final note. Anyone not moved by Garcia's speech at the wedding obviously is void of emotion.
89 out of 146 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nope
joriethomas17 June 2022
I walked in with an open mind, the Steve Martin one was a remake and I loved it. Not to mention, I love Andy Garcia and Gloria Esteban but this was a waste of time. Not all remakes are bad but this one was. No heart, no humor, no enjoyability. Sad really.
62 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Latino version
Bgappl0716 June 2022
I see all the mostly negative reviews of this movie and I'm actually surprised I know it's been done before but so have a lot of themes Andy Garcia can take anything and make it good Gloria Estefan is very good in her role and it's just a pleasant time to be had by all it's like nothing to pre ponder or post ponder but it makes some points and it was fun!!!
86 out of 138 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
They should have just called it 2022.
SuperGeek118 June 2022
This movie had no heart. It wasn't fun. It wasn't funny. It was just sad. A depressing reminder of how the once great Hollywood that used to produce amazing classics, like Father of the Bride, now cranks out pathetic remakes like this. Hollywood desperately needs some talented writers! Kids, do your homework because the 2022 writer's bar has been set very low.
85 out of 130 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
But Why?
You just know there's far too much money floating around Hollywood when there's enough to make this tragic excuse for a movie.

When they remade this with Steve Martin and Diane Keaton, it was a fresh and funny take on a very old, outdated classic. We can still sit down and watch this version and find ourselves furiously laughing at Martin's portrayal of George Banks, and other from the use of a landline, still stands the rest of time.

This though? Wow. I made it through about 30 minutes of this virtue-signaling debacle before finally just turning it off. I'm not sure who this movie is supposed to appeal to, but normal, average intelligence, sentient beings are not it.

I imagine this is about as popular with the inferred demographic as the current take on Steel Magnolias- not necessary, not requested, and just really not good.

Please Hollywood, stop wasting money and start doing work that's valuable and at least somewhat redeeming.
64 out of 110 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Moviebufffrombronx17 June 2022
Not funny. Dry boring and 'hyper predictable' script. The problems with this film are compounded by ZERO chemistry between leads. The pace is so slow. Sprinkle in the woke ingredient and billboard messaging and it's all done. Painful to watch ( and I like Garcia).

Watch the Steve Martin version, a quantum leap better.

Anyone giving this a '10' is delusional.
77 out of 130 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is supposed to be a comedy ?
dotdixon17 June 2022
This is supposed to be a comedy? I laugh more when i go to the dentist!

Don't waste your time on this boring trash.

It's good for insomnia, goodnight.
61 out of 98 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Film with no Soul
rich-fouts19 June 2022
Is this a comedy? A bad drama? Neither, it's just a bad movie. It begins with a great premise. Sofia, the daughter, proposed to Adan, they forego the Catholic wedding, but then everything moves into bad chaos as the groom's father starts to take over. While that could have been ripe for comedy it was just a bunch of yelling and screaming insults. The movie just treads water.

Don't bother.
45 out of 73 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Believe the bad reviews
nmottel18 June 2022
This two hour movie was interminable. They tweaked this remake to not only give us the Latino aspect, but added a divorce, a lesbian, lectures about the environment, provided by a wimpy script and terrible acting. Save yourselves and watch anything else.
60 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bashing traditional Latino values doesn't a good movie make
atdmv18 June 2022
Let's set aside that this is another remake no one asked for, and that you can't improve on the perfection of the 1990 version. They could have done something unique and amazing with the Latino culture of this movie - the traditions and cultural values. Instead, they decided to bash it with the modern values (lack thereof). This made for a bad movie with bad lessons in it.
53 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring boring boring
jakethesnake-4200717 June 2022
Don't bother wasting your time On this bad remake. I give it props for not being an exact remake and adding a few things here and there but it's not enough to save this bland movie. The acting is so bad and the music played throughout the film is so bad. It's just a boring flat film. It's like they targeted the audience to be for 60 plus but then at other times it's not it's just a misfire.
52 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Over the top negative
grlym-4684920 June 2022
I thought this was going to be like the Steve Martin version. A little of The father cliches, but mostly funny

But this version has just $&@ all over the dad character. I know a lot of Hollywood loves making dads look bad now,...but this was just really bad.

Yes the dad was inflexible at times. But given his backstory and a spoiled family...he seems like the hero.

The wife has dumped a failed marriage on her husband as the problem. There is zero balance in the extremes of these character ir the plot. And with zero comedy in this show...it angers the audience more than provide relief from the dad hate.

No likable characters here. I was sad because I remember this show being good and this would be a fresh take with a Hispanic take. But the comedic and heart felt experience this title has brought in the past is not revisited here.
20 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Remake that forgot what made the original so great
vittorio-1320 June 2022
Look I have great respect for father character, but talk about wrong casting and wrong direction. This remake forgot what made the first and the remake such a good movie. It was the father of bride. The way the daughter acted you would think you want the father to leave the house. This movie lacked emotions, fun, and creativity. Yes it's a remake and everybody know what is going to happen and the original was the best the remake was great because of one guy Steve Martin the third round it lacked everything that made he first two so great. To bad it could have been great but just because you have a great location and you spend money it does not mean that the character of the movie would be good. To bad.

Watch the original, watch the first remake skip this thing called a bad movie.
22 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's like going to a wedding
supermellowcali19 June 2022
If you enjoy weddings and the family drama that goes with it, maybe you'll like this extremely well done, extremely boring story about an insecure old man, his daughter and her fiancee. I saw no reason to make this movie and, unfortunately, found it not even a little bit funny.
22 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad, but not great
digitalbeachbum18 June 2022
The Spencer Tracy version of this story is the best of the three movies (1950, 1991, 2022). The originality and the simplicity of the story is what makes the 1950 version so much better. It doesn't try to be more than it is and there is no need for elaborate story changes or language.

What I liked about the original movie vs this movie is that the original movie is how a middle class father ends up having the reception at his modest house, with far too many guests and he never gets to taste the food he paid for, never gets to taste the champagne he paid for, he is constantly worried about his property getting destroyed and he never gets to kiss his daughter and see her off. This movie has none of that in the script.

This version is not bad and I found myself enjoying it. There is a simplicity to it from a modern point of view, except for the idea that the everyone is extremely wealthy. I would have preferred to see them poor or middle class living in Miami. I would have connected to that story in a more intimate way. Instead they opted for an over the top, millionaire dad vs a billionaire dad, which has nothing to do with the original story.

The casting and cinematography is good. I enjoyed the chemistry between the actors and thought they did a good job of portraying a wealthy family in Miami. The script, while acceptable, was not well written. It wasn't the dialog, it was the theme which was all wrong. I didn't like the idea of using money to solve all the plot issues. By using a billionaire dad allows the writers to move from one scene to another by throwing money at the problem. It's effective, but it is cheap.

I also didn't care for the storm taking out the bridge. It was deus ex machina. The writers built up this big fancy wedding but wanted to go back to the "having the wedding in a small house vibe" but they lost me there. They tried to honor the original Spencer Tracy movie, but they did a horrible job of trying to show a less wealthy family being forced to have a wedding at their modest house because they didn't have enough money to rent a hall or hotel.

You will enjoy this production. It was fun and had its moments. However, it lacked that down to Earth emotion which was lost in the wealthy and extravagance of the Miami elite.

PS - I found it odd that they stuck the "why don't you speak Spanish" in to the story. It is a political stick in the mud. It wasn't needed and it ended up being distracting filler.
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unwatchable
cejoyce-6928420 June 2022
Unwatchable and often offensive. The majority of characters are generally such horrible people I couldn't even make it through the entire movie. I hope the fiancé cut and run - he'd really dodge a bullet. The one shining light is Isabella Merced. Even so, stick to the classic.
25 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't bother
deborah-9042416 June 2022
Boring, boring lacks the humor and sarcasm of both the Spence's Tracy version and the Steve Martin film. Boring and bad acting From a mostly unknown cast. Gloria Estefan and Andy Garcia have no chemistry.
75 out of 118 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty pretty good
killercola16 June 2022
I see a couple of ridiculously low score reviews but it's pretty clear it's the ppl who fear diversity. You know, the "everything is woke" knuckleheads. It's a solid movie, entertaining and well worth the watch.
75 out of 153 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not riddled with comedy, but a gorgeous backdrop for a Latin family drama carried by Andy Garcia.
cgvsluis25 June 2022
I am going to start by saying that the original Father of The Bride (1950) with Spencer Tracy, Joan Bennett, and Elizabeth Taylor is still my favorite, of course I am a classic film fan and in response to those who think that it is dated...I don't think the sentiment of a loving father who is going to miss his beloved daughter when she leaves the home in marriage is outdated, and if it is...I think that is a sad commentary on our current society. Second confession, I love Steve Martin and I think the version pairing him with Diane Keaton (1991) was comedy gold. And my final confession I have a Latin bias...so I was thrilled to see Andy Garcia back on the big screen especially in a role where he isn't a criminal and I really enjoyed seeing Gloria Estefan. I appreciated that they had Cuban actors playing Cuban roles and Mexican actors playing Mexican roles...and don't think I didn't catch the Latinx commentary.

This is a big Latin take on Father of The Bride and it is set in Miami, the home of our Cuban-American family that is headed by successful architect Billy Herrera (played by Andy Garcia). The old town Miami back drop is spectacular and the home that they chose as the family home "designed and built by Billy" is gorgeous and worth seeing. Another twist in this version of FOTB is the discussion of divorce, the film starts with Billy and his wife in therapy, where they have been for over a year, deciding to get divorced. Like the other FOTB films, the story is told from the father's perspective and this father has a lot coming at him...his wife divorcing him, his beloved daughter marrying and moving to Mexico and no one wanting to do the wedding in the traditional way as he does.

I will say the looming divorce gives this film a far more melancholic feel than the other Father of The Bride films...but I hope that doesn't deter you from giving it a watch. Andy Garcia really carries this film and both his wedding speech and his conversation with his future son-in-law are endearing and well delivered.

There was a little poking fun of the 'instagram generation' around the wedding planner and her ideas about having a flamenco and flamingo wedding...it wouldn't be so sad and funny if it didn't have some truth to it.

My husband's favorite part the latin take on a Daft Punk song.

Not for everyone, but maybe not worthy of all of the disparaging remarks.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My God! Gloria Estefan is a TERRIBLE actress
GrammarMatters20 June 2022
The first scene with Gloria. And Andy Garcia in the therapists office, it was as if Gloria wasn't even in the same room with Andy. Terrible chemistry, and WOW, Gloria should never try acting in anything ever again!

I gave up on this 10 minutes into it. You should too.

Trust the terrible reviews.

This is awful.

A total waste of your time.
16 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Please stop with the remakes.
alyhammell17 June 2022
Unfortunately another ethnic remake of a classic film that does not hit the mark. As other have said, no chemistry between the leads and it's panders to the Latin culture. Please Hollywood, make ORIGINAL films. Not crappy remakes where genders/ethnicity is being switched to appeal to certain groups.
26 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
First Nomination For the 2022 RAZZIE Award!!
erfan-0073017 June 2022
Oh my godddd! One question for the investors, producers of this #Movie!! Exactly WHAT. WAS. THIS? That I Wasted my precious time watching the first 15 minutes & used the FWD button through the rest of this WHATEVER it was?!?!?

It such a jamboree of bad writing, bad acting, bad plots, bad directing (more like a sleepwalking!) BAD everything that boggles one's mind about the state of mind of those who put money into this disastrous production!

If there was a -1 or -5 I would've gladly given this movie .. but for now, 1 is too high.. and consider yourselves- warned about the WORST possible Hispanic version of the "Crazy Rich Asians" without an epsilon relevance of even that movie's plot!! ****DO NOT SEE THIS****

I feel sorry for Andy Garcia... he used to be a decent actor...
27 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.