Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011) Poster

More than expected
lodewickus4 August 2011
There are so many things right about this movie, the little things that are wrong are easily forgiven. Some slight plot holes, but the film and characters make up for it. The chemistry between Franco and Pinto is weak, however Franco plays his part. Lithgow is always a great asset to any production, and does a great job here.

Albeit you know the chimps are CGI, their eyes look amazing, with depth and personality, and along with their body language and facial animations, you really do forget they are CGI. The music is powerful and tense, and I loved the way it builds up through out the movie. Starting with light orchestra at the beginning, while starting to feel very tribal without overdoing it towards the end.

There are moments that are truly gratifying, and Caeser really steals the show with his evolution through out the movie. The journey Caeser takes really connects and you feel his plight. With moments of thought, heart and action, Rise really hits the mark for the audience it's aiming for.

Excellent entertainment all round!
298 out of 420 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Apes Will Rise!!
CinemaPat11 August 2011
Disaster movies are a dime a dozen now a days. We have seen an influx of Alien takeovers recently and it is getting a bit stale I must admit. Don't get me wrong, I love films about ET's taking over, but Hollywood has beaten that horse to death. "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" is a welcome change to this trend pitting us measly humans against our closest ancestors, Great Apes. Directed by Rupert Wyatt ("The Escapist") and supported by the unbelievable WETA Digital ("King Kong", "Lord of the Rings", "Avatar") for special effects. "Apes" is a wonder of motion capture, an intelligent heart felt script with great direction. Unfortunately, the human actors left a lot to be desired. But this film isn't about the humans, it's all about the Simians.

As plots go, this is pretty basic. James Franco plays Will Rodman, a brilliant scientist with a breakthrough drug that just may cure Alzheimer's. Rodman and his team are using chimpanzee's to test this new drug and in the process find out that it increases intelligence as well as repair cells in the brain. One of the test subjects gets loose in an intense sequence and ultimately put down. It turns out that she had just given birth to a beautiful baby chimp who inherited this new "altered" gene. Rodman decides the only moral thing to do is to take the baby home while a co-worker tries to find a sanctuary but once Rodman finds out that this little ball of fur has the intelligence of a human child twice it's age he decides to keep and raise the chimp as a child. It's only a matter of time that our chimp Caesar figures out he is not like the other children in the neighborhood. Rodman is forced to give up Caesar to an "Ape Sanctuary" and there begins some of the most exhilarating revolutionary action I've ever seen.

Technically, this film is massive. The work WETA Digital did with motion capture (mo-cap) is truly a wonder to behold. Visual Effects Supervisor with WETA Digital Joe Letteri stated that they built on the technology used in "Avatar" to produce the most realistic and accurate portrayal of the actors suited to play the Simians. Andy Serkis (Gollum from "Lord of the Rings" and Kong from "King Kong") plays chimp Caesar. Serkis manages to fool all of us into believing he is a real animal with super intelligence. His facial emotions and mannerisms should most certainly nominate him for an Oscar. There is a real connection that the audience feels with Caesar and it is all thanks to Serkis' work. Without such an experienced mo-cap actor, this film would not have been such a success.

Not only is the technology used to create the revolution amazing, the action is top notch as well. Many times I found myself with my jaw on the floor from the intense sequences put to screen. Everything from a simple terrifying look from an angry ape to the full out battle on the Golden Gate Bridge was pulled off without a hitch. Many points to the pacing of the films action as it could have been the crutch that killed this beast of a film. One of the most amazing scenes in my opinion is when a group of apes are fleeing over top a suburban neighborhood through the trees. While this is going on we see some people on the street while leaves upon leaves are falling to the ground. This level of detail is apparent in every shot, brilliant work by the production team.

My only problems with this film is the acting from Franco and Freida Pinto, who plays the love interest. They both seemed to "phone it in" as it were. They were not overly impressive and just seemed stale. Maybe the director wanted them to tone it down so that Serkis would have more of an impact acting as a voiceless chimp. Either way, as I said in the beginning, this film wasn't about the humans. It's about compassion, freedom and understanding and on those levels the film is a grand success.
105 out of 142 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The most emotional Planet of the Apes film.
Dragonsouls5 August 2011
To sum it up, a very powerful film falling just short of being a masterpiece. However, the only flaw in the film is that the film could have been just a bit longer! I am really hoping for a director's cut because there should have been a few more character development scenes between father and son, boyfriend and girlfriend, and even Ape and Human. I felt the movie was paced a bit too quickly but nevertheless, still contains very fleshed out characters driven by excellent performances throughout, from Lithgow, to Franco, to Cox and especially by Andy Serkis.

Cesar is by far the best animated character in the history of cinema. His facial expressions tell it all! You feel his rage, his fear, and his child like innocence through his wonderfully animated eyes. Not only is the C.G.I. good, but the character is written very well in general. You will go through all of those emotions yourself as you witness his journey. All I can say is that I now know why I try to walk my dog without a leash as much as possible. This movie just confirmed it for me! Through the film, you will understand what Cesar is feeling and why. The invisible character of the film is humanity itself, and at times, feels like a study of human nature.

Plot wise, it is very well told. I thought there was nothing cheesy about the script, although not as intelligent as the original, but not dumb either. There is some science fiction in the film, and other than the experimental drug, there was some other surprising Science fiction plot elements in it too which might lead into the sequel; if there is one of course, and I think there will be.

For the skeptics who think the film would be cheesy seeing all the apes battle armed policemen then think again. I too, was a bit skeptical at first, wondering how the apes would defeat an entire police force, but when you watch the film your doubts would dissipate. Just remember the physical ability of apes and how powerful the apes are, and how much more powerful they would be if they had brains! The action was very good, but as good as it was, I'd trade it in for more plot development. There were a bit too many plot jumps in the last 30 minutes, but all in all, it was directed very, very well. Coupled with a good score, mellow at times, but highly dramatic which heightens the tension. Speaking of tension, there is a lot of it in this film. If you're an animal lover like I am, then be warned; You will be in tears 30 seconds into the opening scene.

I also wanted to mention the original film even though it's tough to compare the two. This is an origins story that actually makes the original better. The original was more about the plot than the characters and they each stand apart and alone with their own merits and flaws. It was nice to see a few homages to the old classic, and don't be surprised if you see a character from the original as well. I highly doubt this film will disappoint the fans of the original and TV series! It will have you climbing trees!
353 out of 511 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
These apes rise not only in style, but also in substance
Movie_Muse_Reviews5 August 2011
The one thing that always made the "Planet of the Apes" a bit campy was actors in make up and monkey suits. So in one instance, here's where technology, specifically the use motion- capture technology as seen in "Avatar," can almost single-handedly justify revisiting an old franchise. But the apes of "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" don't just look amazing — they have souls. So does this script, which delivers one of the summer's biggest surprises in terms of pure entertainment and depth of storytelling.

Unlike the "Transformers" franchise, where giant steel-crushing robots have gotten lost in inane plots driven by pointless human characters, "Rise" keeps the primates as an almost exclusive focus. Somewhere close to the midpoint, humans even take a back seat to the captivating ape-centered story arcs crafted by writers Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver. Not only do apes most definitely rise in this movie, but they also do so with clear tremendous purpose. The story of how a potential cure for Alzheimer's went out of control couldn't be more crystal clear, as is the reasoning that inspires an ape named Caesar to incite a rebellion.

James Franco plays scientist Will Rodman, who's experimenting with his Alzheimer's cure on apes. His most recent tests show incredible cognitive abilities in one ape and so he makes a presentation to the company's board asking for permission to test the drug on humans. Things go wrong during the presentation, however, when the ape goes, well — ape — and on display for the whole lab. The apes are ordered to be put down and Franco's entire operation gets shut down.

However, the trial ape had been hiding a newborn baby. Will secretly takes it home where his father (John Lithgow) suffers from Alzheimer's. Turns out the chimp, which his father names Caesar, inherited the cognitive abilities of the drug through its mother. As Caesar grows and exhibits tremendous mental growth (including helping Will land an otherwise pointless girlfriend in Freida Pinto), Will desperately tests the drug on his father and suddenly he has hope for the project to continue.

This origin story plays out for most of the film, but Caesar ends up becoming the focus. Although he says nothing, he generates incredible sympathy through consummate mo-cap actor Andy Serkis (Gollum in "The Lord of the Rings"). Add to that the burgeoning scientific moral dilemma and "Rise" builds quite the captivating story. The turning points for Caesar that result in and arise from his inhumane captivity all wield the impact that pivotal moments should carry in all films. Despite a story that originated almost 45 years ago, the script lays this perfect and scientifically reasonable foundation for the "Planet of the Apes" we already know. The only thing that feels like a reach is the speed with which the apes develop certain tactical abilities once they all receive the drug.

Director Rupert Wyatt definitely understands the script handed to him as he provides the appropriate magnitude to these effective plot points and knows how to create mouth-agape moments. When Oyewolo's character arrives at the lab cafeteria to find a bunch of tables overturned, Wyatt pans up to reveal he's surrounded by apes. There's no reason to think they weren't there waiting for him, but we're caught off guard just long enough to know he better make a run for it. Those are the "glory shots" that make a true blockbuster.

Much of the action used to promote the movie comes in the film's final act, which uses all the slowly building tension from scenes showing cruelty toward the apes in the second act to fuel the fire. With such strong motivation accumulated during these first two chunks of the film, the action doesn't have to be that explosive or visceral in order to be effective. Apes tearing humans limb for limb would have certainly made for a more interesting film to say the least, but "Rise" manages to get away with the tamer action due to all the powerful setup and Wyatt provokes some imagination-inspired gore. In addition, the fact that the apes just knock people unconscious serves the script's efforts to show how — just like humans — some apes are violent and evil in nature while some are sympathetic and merciful. The film expertly muddles our perception of who to root for in this sense.

Considering prequels inherently risk their quality on the fact that we know the end result, it's impressive that "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" maintains our interest consistently throughout. The ending does leave something to be desired because it ends just as the battle between apes and humans seems to be going somewhere, but even though I'm not sure what would happen (or what the title would be for that matter), if the sequel picks up right where this left off — count me in.

~Steven C
188 out of 271 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Best Planet of the Apes film since the original
michael-colan6 August 2011
There was a lot of hype going into this film. I was very excited to finally see another Planet of the Apes film. I am a big fan of the original and had fun with the sequels and even after Tim Burton's remake I was still excited for this film and I got to say this is the best Planet of the Apes picture since the original.

This story is an origin story about how the Apes began to rise to power and about a man who is bent on curing Alzheimer's and raising an ape who has been past on the genes of the cure from his mother and what the effects this has on this one ape named Caesar.

The very surprising thing about this film is how story based and character based it really is. From the trailers it looked like just another cure gone wrong and a lot of violence happens but I was truly surprised by this film's story and how well told it was. I do think it needed to be just a tad longer in the beginning showing a little more of Caesar's childhood but it's a small fault and can be overlooked. But it is something truly wonderful to see how truly well fleshed out these characters are in this film especially for a "summer blockbuster." All character motivations are known throughout the film. James Franco's character named Will Rodman really wants to make this cure so he can cure his father. So a lot of us can really connect with him and in seeing he is making this cure for the best intentions. And his boss is the classic wants the cure for money type of character. But the best most drawn out character is the character of Caesar. The chimpanzee that becomes increased in intelligence is the true star of the film. He cannot talk and he is a computer made image and yet you really understand him, love him, and feel for him. Caesar is played by motion capture actor Andy Serkis (his second film as an ape, the other one being King Kong (2005)) brings so much to the table. He breathes so much personality into this ape and it's just truly something to wow at and the writers are very wise to really shift the story over from Will to Caesar as Caesar gets sent into an Ape refuge. While there he gets smarter and learns of the true nature of how apes are treated inside there and decides to take action.

I think it was very smart on the filmmakers to shift the apes from makeup to cgi. I wasn't thrilled when I first heard they would make the apes in the computer but after viewing the film I've realized this was the only way to go really. It would look incredibly cheesy if they tried to do what they did in this film with makeup. The motion capture is some of the best to date and the apes look very real. None of the makeups did as good as job as the motion capture did at creating real ape behavior and also by not making them talk I think was a smart move. I don't think making them be able to speak would make it very realistic which seems to be more of the way the film tries to go with rather than a fantasy.

The action is all mostly at the end of the film which is mostly seen in the trailers. While granted there is a little bit here and a little bit there it's all really at the end. It all is very entertaining and the apes do fight like real apes. There are moments where the filmmakers truly capture an ape aggression and what they are truly capable of. Not a lot of people know just how strong and fierce they can be and the film does a good job of showing that.

But something I don't think is mention a lot is that there a nice magical quality to it. The scene in the redwoods is a very magical scene and I really liked it and never liked how it isn't mentioned.

The acting is all very good and is a driving point of the film. James Franco is great, so are John Lithgow and Brian Cox. Also Tom Felton and David Oyelowo are good. Freida Pinto is good and all but I wish her character was given a better purpose and is one of the few faults with this film.

The Music I thought was very good too. It had a very magical yet dark and exciting feel. Composer Patrick Doyle really gives out his best score in years. It will by no means become be considered a masterpiece it just is an above the average movie score and is a score that I would buy when the soundtrack was released on CD.

The Directing by Rupert Wyatt is very good too. He handles the story written with such care. His choices in camera movements and how to properly handle the story is makes him a great choice. Also he uses cgi to better the project and only really uses it when he needs too which is something I always respected in a director these days.

The writers Amanda Silver and Rick Jaffa have crafted a great story and pay so much tribute to the original films. There are so many nice nods to the original which Planet of the Apes fans will enjoy. They also really know how write convincing dialogue and leaves the door open for a sequel but it could be just an make you think type of ending.

The Bottom line is this is a very good story driven film that includes great special effects and matches the original and is the second best film of 2011

Final Score 9/10
159 out of 228 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Rise of the Planet of the Apes is a thought provoking and emotionally driven thrill ride!
FanPerspective5 August 2011
If you're like me, you will be completely fascinated by the story of this film. I'm a big fan of Planet of the Apes and to get to see its origins is really great. Out of the entire series of movies, I think this one truly is the best. It was just absolutely spectacular! The actors delivered fine performances for their well developed characters; the writers, Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver, didn't miss a beat with their fantastic and intelligent script; and the story was compelling, exciting and emotionally touching.

The star of the film is an ape named Caesar (whose emotions were brought to life brilliantly by Andy Serkis) who is the baby of an ape that was tested on for scientist Will Rodman's (James Franco) research in an effort that resulted in a way for the brain to heal itself, and what could possibly be the cure for Alzheimer's; a disease very personal for him because his father (John Lithgow) suffers from it -- even though Rodman is warned not to let personal issues get in the way of science. The drug also had another affect... it lead to the development of intelligence in apes. As Caesar grows older and smarter, though, he becomes more aware, questioning who and what he is. It is during an incident that causes Caesar to be separated from Will, in a feeling of abandonment, and then being mistreated by Dodge Landon (Tom Felton) at a shelter that ultimately leads to a hurt and confused Caesar plotting for revenge.. what becomes a war for primacy.

Unlike the Planet of the Apes films from the past, this one did not have people running around in ape suits but instead presented us with CGI primates, emotional performances captured from actors. If I hadn't known it were CGI, though, I would have sworn that they were real apes. They were brilliant! Director Rupert Wyatt did a wonderful job of connecting this prequel to the first film, really catching every little detail and even littered respectful homages to the original throughout the entire film. Honestly, I just loved finding out what lead to the great ape takeover. And as I mentioned before, the script was just wonderful and made for a thought provoking and emotionally driven thrill ride!
136 out of 194 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Summer 2011: A season blessed with brilliant prequels
cuppa_tetleys17 August 2011
To begin on a tangent before evaluating the film, before summer 2011, I had not seen a decent prequel film. Prequels to films are often made when there is either a rich back story behind the originals or the producers are wanting a little more money from a particular franchise (see the Star Wars prequels). The problem they present is that film- makers have to construct their work, with the knowledge that the audience knows how it ends. One of the greatest things about seeing a film for the first time is the surprise and anticipation, to removing that can detract a lot from the overall impact of the film. But this summer I have had the pleasure of seeing X-men First Class, and now Rise of the Planet of the Apes - two excellent prequels to series that I didn't care for previously.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (RPA from now on, I can't bear typing it) is not only a triumph in CG animation, but as a stellar science fiction film, that remembers that films are infinitely more engaging when the audience actually cares for the characters on screen. Too often do I see films with a high premise that forget to flesh out their characters, leaving us to run around in mindless, weightless explosions with nobodies who we know less than 3 things about (cough, Transformers 3). Yes, RPA is about super intelligent apes that ransack cities and take on armed forces with little more than what surrounds them, but before we get to that there is an enormous amount of development from the main protagonist; Caesar. Although the advertisement trumpets James Franco, John Lithgow etc, the real star here is Andy Serkis, along with millions of dollars worth of CG animation to create the most expressive animated creatures on film. Even with Avatar, using real humans, pales in comparison to the amount of detail going into every single one of these apes; there is not one second in the film where you cannot understand one of the primates intentions - you could practically vocalise them yourself with the refined eye movement, body language that clearly separates Caesar from his more primitive relatives. Needless to say, Caesar's performance is flawless; after all this is the man who brought Gollum to life, but he captures the screen with an entirely wordless performance, which to me is the greatest part of the film. I felt for Caesar more than any other character in this film, and he did it without saying a word. Eat that Michael Bay. I was almost in tears at one point during one of Caesar's more emotional scenes for Christ Sake - although a chimp, the heightened intelligence really gives him just enough human characteristic to be above the uncanny valley while still behaving like an animal.

The humans in the film were what I considered weakest in this film; not any of the performances were bad, but a little more development in some minor characters and some tweak in the writing here and there would have made this a perfect 10. Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy) felt a bit off to me; he was cruel but almost in a cartoon way, though I suspect that's more to do with ill writing than any personal issues. The main cast are good, though at it's current length, I think more development with James Franco's character wouldn't have gone amiss, but then again, this might have thrown off the pacing.

Another thing I love about this film is that while taking a sharp diversion from its roots in terms of gradual characterisation, it does a superb job of delivering what everyone inevitably came for. A massive Chimpocalypse. A simian uprising that sees the downtrodden apes taking up arms against humanity, and in three words: it's f - ing cool. Made all the more exciting by the anticipation and the feel for these characters, the marvellous point about Caesar's character is that we sympathise with him, we understand why he leads an ape army AND WE SUPPORT HIM. A super intelligent ape is rallying a chimp attack force to free themselves from their confines, cause mayhem, disrupt order and ultimately rule humanity AND WE WANT THEM TO. And for that I applaud.

I love a film that makes us look inwards at ourselves and question our own moral codes and attitudes to events in life (this one clearly representing a case of animal cruelty) that make us conclude that WE are indeed the bad guys, and we need to change. Living in a small, rural middle-class society (like myself) or a well-developed area often makes mainstream audiences forget about those less fortunate than themselves, and what it drives them to, or in this case, what having too much drives us to, and it's refreshing to see something that reminds us of how much of a plague we are to the rest of the planet.

Overall, I would say a strong 9/10, perhaps not quite reaching the highs that First Class did, but by God, was it more consistent - definitely watch this one, and stay after the credits.
114 out of 163 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wow It's actually a great movie!
Grey Gardens2 August 2011
I had extremely low expectations for Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011). I loved the original 1968 classic, but every sequel/remake after it sucked. I was surprised they were going to make a prequel of the classic and I thought it was a good idea. But still after so many bad sequels and remakes, I still had my big doubts. Also I didn't like how the monkeys were made by CGI/Special Effects, why not use a robotic monkey or a real one, it would look more real.

After my viewing of the film, I was pleasantly surprised and I liked it overall. But there were definitely flaws in the movie, no doubt about it. The characters were a bit uninteresting at times, there were subplots that went pretty much nowhere and indicated that there could sequels in the works, but it all depends on how much money it makes. The movie, at some points turned to an average summer blockbuster with all the action scenes and explosions, but it redeems itself later on.

However there are plenty of positive qualities, the movie has. Andy Serkis delivers a great performance as the lead ape in the film and is pretty much the star of the film. James Franco and Freida Pinto, both did a good job portraying their characters. The movie also poses ethical/moral questions, which I found very interesting. The movie is easily on of the most thrilling films we've had this summer. Finally a movie that pays respect to the 1968 original science fiction classic!
322 out of 484 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Against all odds, this must be the best "blockbuster" I've seen all summer.
MovieAddict20167 August 2011
Summer 2011 will go down in history as one of the more disappointing seasons in many years when it comes to movies. This is the time of year that people rush out in masses to see the latest action extravaganza, and to be fair, some films have delivered on that promise -- "Harry Potter," "Captain America" (though I have yet to see either of them and am simply relying on general reactions) -- but there's been a whole lot of disappointments, too, and the worst part is that people still seem to be flocking to them, almost out of necessity than wont ("Transformers 3" and "Pirates 4" both made over $1 bil worldwide, which is amazing, because they both sucked).

I think the last film anyone expected to reverse the trend this summer was a prequel to a franchise that has been consistently poor over the years since its original incarnation in 1968. Indeed, the first trailer for "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" focused on ape carnage and mayhem, and although a subsequent one highlighted the dramatic underpinning of the film, it seemed like Fox was just trying to turn around its marketing and fool people into thinking there was more than meets the eye.

Alas, the second trailer turned out to be a far more accurate reflection of the movie than anyone would have expected. "Rise of the Apes" is most likely the best film of the blockbuster season, full of heart, carefully crafted and professionally delivered on every level.

Sure, the story has its fair share of clichés -- the "evil caretakers" played by Brian Cox and Tom Felton seem bad just because the film requires them to be, and Felton's performance in particular is so over-the-top that it's almost a caricature -- but because of how the film is packaged, and because it spends so much time focusing on the character of Caesar (played magnificently by Andy Serkis), you are willing to overlook many of the flaws. You care about the characters and the story, even when you kinda know where it's headed and feel like it's a variation of a prison break-out movie with apes in place of humans.

The human cast, as has been noted by many critics, is nothing to write home about. James Franco doesn't exactly phone in his performance but it's not the sort of role that is going to be lining him up for any awards. Toby Maguire was originally lined up for the project before he was dropped (he reportedly came to Fox with script notes, and they promptly cut off discussions with him), but Franco does seem a more natural fit, and does well enough in a role destined to be sidelined by the apes.

And the apes are awesome. No, we haven't quite mastered fully realistic CGI yet -- especially when it's mixed with live actors. (WETA claims that the technology here is superior to "Avatar," but it's not as convincing, perhaps because the CGI so rarely interacted with human actors in "Avatar," and thus we were able to accept the fantasy world more willingly.) However, this is some of the best seen to date. Serkis (who previously played King Kong in Peter Jackson's remake) translates a brilliant performance, for which the film owes a great deal; Caesar is really the crux of the whole thing, and a poor or less realistic performance would have undermined the whole thing. It's the subtle stuff here that makes a difference -- the emotions captured in Caesar's facial expressions, or the glint of sympathy in his eyes when John Lithgow's character begins to suffer from Alzheimer's. There's a moment of genius in that particular scene where Caesar exchanges a sad, knowing glance with Franco's character, and it's eerily touching.

Director Rupert Wyatt follows blockbuster blueprints from beginning to end, but by enriching the first three-quarters of his film with character development and an actual *story* (something so many blockbusters these days seem to be sorely lacking), when the big action sequence arrives at the end, you're invested in what's happening -- and you actually care.

I confess to never having watched many of the "Apes" films. I do recall seeing the Tim Burton remake in theaters a decade ago, and even as a 12-year-old kid, I thought, Wow, this sucks. "Rise" is infinitely better, more creative and more emotionally stirring -- as aforementioned, it's nothing completely unique or novel from a storytelling standpoint, but it's well-crafted in an old-fashioned, refreshingly familiar way, and the addition of groundbreaking CGI makes it a "must-see" rather than something to catch on television. Fox isn't known for pleasing fans with their remakes and sequels (whether it be Die Hard or Wolverine), but Summer 2011 sees two of their biggest properties successfully reinvigorated: first "X-Men First Class," and now this. For my money, "Apes" is better -- perhaps the best blockbuster of the season -- which I never in a million years expected to say.

Without spoiling anything, the film sets itself up for a sequel. Considering it's on track to smash expectations and take in $55 mil this weekend alone, it's pretty much a sure-thing that it will happen. Hopefully the follow-up takes heed of this film's strengths and doesn't abandon the character development in favor of boisterous action sequences. The fact that audiences are reacting strongly to this movie is an indication of what's been lacking all summer: stories with characters we care about. Go see this if you want to end a disappointing summer on a positive note.
133 out of 194 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I really wanted to like this film more -- and I'm sorry...
d_a_m_825 August 2011
...but it didn't do it for me. I'm a huge fan of the series (excluding the Tim Burton disaster, of course) but this didn't have nearly the depth nor the intelligence I was expecting. Like most I was initially skeptical at the idea of attempting to reboot the franchise -- but as positive reviews kept flowing in regarding this "smart" script and Avatar-like CGI, I began to get excited again. With the surprisingly high box office numbers and positive feedback from most who saw it, I got more excited.

I finally ponied up last night to check it out.

The good news: The CGI apes stuff works pretty well. Serkis does his usual great job (although I thought his King Kong was better). Action sequences and set pieces are all good.

The bad news: There's no Rod Serling-style, Twilight Zone-ish, philosophical themes or moral messages here. It isn't "smart" compared to the original films. This one is more like POTA for Dummies. It relies on a trite storyline that's been beaten to death (Don't play God; Don't mess with Nature -- yada, yada, yada) with nothing more interesting or thought-provoking. The original series was not afraid to hit you in the gut and make you think. Those movies were much heavier in every way; while this plays much more like a straight action film. Entertaining from that aspect -- along with Caesar himself, but not much else. So, I don't know where all this "smart" talk came from. If this passes for smart then our standards have dropped.

Next is the acting. I don't blame the actors b/c it didn't seem that they had much to work with. Franco, Pinto, Felton, Cox and the rest are all one-note characters with little depth. All the humans are cardboard clichés in this film. I know Caesar is the protagonist -- but to have the other actors be so uninteresting is a real drawback. And this -- along with the trite story -- reminds me a bit of Avatar. A by-the-numbers retelling of Pocahontas or Dances with Wolves -- where all the characters are one-dimensional. Visually stunning, yes -- but with shallow characterizations. In Avatar, military guy = bad, corporate exec = bad; in ROTPOTA, drug company exec = bad, neighbor = bad, chimp worker = bad. There's not much else to say about them since we're not presented with their context.

No one wanted to like this more than me. I was hoping the flavor of the original series had been brought back -- but I'm afraid if we can't resurrect Rod Serling or enlist a writer of his caliber, we'll never see it again.
56 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hands down, the best summer movie of 2011
blackmambamark5 August 2011
Of all the movies that can possibly be re-booted......why reboot another movie that's already been re-booted? And of all the projects that the Weta team can possibly tackle, why this one? Well it must be the script, because everyone that's come across it has wanted to be somewhat involved. Hopefully it lives up to the expectations that are already in place, because i don't think i could handle another stink bomb like Burton's version.

Finally......a summer movie that's actually WORTH your summer dollar. Almost every element of this film is pitch perfect. Just what makes this 'oh so' great? Allow me to explain....

Judging from the preview, i thought the movie to be a little too relative to the concept from "Deep Blue Sea". But this movie takes a much more different route with their Alzheimer's approach. Needless to say, they did a much better job than that movie.....obviously.

I know most people may be scratching their heads to this comment, but in my opinion, this is easily the most well written script of the year thus far. It's intelligent, thought provoking, emotional, and damn well entertaining. What makes this so good is the progression of the main ape 'Ceaser' (heh, ironic name), and his journey from a curious and smart ape, into an upset ape that realizes the harsh realities of being treated like an animal. It's now easy to see just why everyone jumped on board when they read this. I kid you not, i actually got goosebumps from this movie, and that rarely happens.

And once again, the Weta team did a phenomenal job with their brilliant special effects. Andy Serkis who has already done work like this before in 'Lord of Rings' and 'King Kong', out preformed most actors in Hollywood without barely saying a word. Is it wrong to say that a man in a blue suit with dots all over him, imitating an ape is so far the best actor i've seen this year? Uh.....not at all. Trust me, see the movie, and you'll understand why.

Bottom Line.......not only is this easily the best movie of the summer, i will go as far as saying it's the best movie i have seen so far this year. Yes, it is THAT good. Like i said earlier, almost every element of this movie is pitch perfect. The writing, the acting, the special effects.....all done to near perfection. It some people's eyes, this is called a reboot. However, it feels more like a prequel. But judging from what i just saw, i hope to god that they make more of these, because it literally just blew my mind.
370 out of 594 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Give Enough Chimps Enough Typewriters And They Could Write A Better Screenplay
Theo Robertson19 July 2014
I've no idea how I managed to miss RISE . It came out three years ago and I recall it going on my watch it when it comes out on DVD list but never got round to it for some reason . Now that the sequel DAWN has opened to almost universal praise it's very timely that Channel 4 decided to give it its British TV network broadcast . I saw the trailers on channel 4 last week and made sure I wasn't going to miss it and if I enjoyed this film I might just go out of my way and spend money watching the sequel in the cinema . Hmmmm . After seeing RISE it looks like I've just saved myself the price of a bus ride and a cinema ticket

To be fair the producers deserve some credit on not going for a reworking of the original Pierre Boulle novel . A rocket travels to another planet where Apes at the top of the evolutionary ladder and there's a shock twist at the end . It's been done before and very well in the 1968 film and abysmally in the Tim Burton version so congratulations for trying a different spin this time with a reworking of CONQUEST

The unfortunate thing is the storyline is very predictable and lacking in any imagination . Okay in CONQUEST apes are used as slaves and it's up to Ceaser a self aware chimpanzee from the future who is a fugitive leading a revolution by apes to overthrow their cruel masters . There's not a lot of realism to that plot but the great strength of the original franchise was that it was made with so much imagination plausibility didn't matter " The good bomb made us all " indeed and for that we should be grateful . Here however everything is so recognisable that it ends up becoming , insipid , vapid and very mundane

This most especially extends to the humans who are one note clichés . Good scientists , trying to benefit mankind , sick relative , sadistic guard type character and worst of all rabidly greedy corporate company boss . It says something that the best performance comes from Andy Serkis and he plays the film in a CGI suit swinging through trees and rattling bars but to be fair again Daniel Day Lewis would be incapable of bringing much to the roles of humans in this screenplay

There's a saying that " If you give enough chimpanzees enough typewriters they will eventually write the complete works of Shakespeare " Apparently this is an untrue truism and according to the likes of Richard Dawkins and other scientists involved in biology there's neither enough chimpanzees or typewriters for this to remotely come close to happening . That said if you give a typewriter to someone like Paul Dehn and sit him in a committee of Hollywood film producers he can string out a highly entertaining and imaginative series of movies based upon a film adaptation of Pierre Boulle;s original novel. There's nothing like that here and you feel you're watching something not all that far removed from the Syfy channel
20 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Evolution without Revolution
TourettesPersonal7 August 2011
Hollywood is losing ideas. We already know that. Now we are stuck having remakes, reboots, & prequels. And what's worse, most of these prequels are hardly connected to the original film & sometimes they say it's a reboot. The film? It can be entertaining in some parts, but mostly it's a wooden & clichéd sci-fi story. Convoluted from the original Planet of the Apes series but like they say, This could be a reboot. Any new ideas, Hollywood?

The movie is totally disconnected from the original Planet of the Apes movies. It's obvious that they wanted to make another reboot of the series. They're losing ideas & wanted to improve some of the old classics. Rise of the Planet of the Apes doesn't want to show the true origin of the first series. I don't think Fox is still capable of making accurate prequels. It's just like X-Men First Class although X-Men is an enjoyable movie and it's necessary to tell its story.

The story here can be interesting but it ends up being generic & predictable. Science goes wrong, Humans are evil, Too much sappiness, & ends with a predictable and somewhat exhausting action climax. Since none of the apes are real, The CGI looks impressive though. The main ape's actor, Andy Serkis, only spoken few lines in this movie but the motion he provides to the character is remarkably amazing. He's an expert to these motion capture characters. James Franco ends up being a wooden character. What's the point of Freida Pinto's character? Tom Felton is playing Draco Malfoy again & this time he's teasing Apes. At least John Lithgow gave some emotional moments.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes is an altered, predictable, & unnecessary prequel. The filmmaking has already been evolved but still no revolution. The studio is out of ideas & we are getting these unnecessary prequels that suddenly appearing as a reboot. Even the film itself is not good. I noticed that most people liked it maybe because the CGI is quite amazing and the motion capture performance of Andy Serkis nails most of the film. But really, this is unnecessary & ridiculous. The ending also has an ambition for a sequel. I guess these prequels are deceiving reboots.
84 out of 137 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Best movie of Summer 2011
vsg078 August 2011
I didn't want to watch Rise of the Planets of the Apes. First of all because of the title and secondly because it was another Planets of the ape movie. The last try at rebooting this franchise was a disaster even with Tim Burton directing it. As such, I didn't have high hopes with the movie.

Directed by Rupert Wyatt, the movie feels like it was directed with tight lease. Caesar and his actions and reactions to the world are the best part of the movie. I think you are not going to see CGI at its best again until James Cameron comes up with Avatar 2 and 3. The story is tight and makes you sit on your toes even though you know whats going to happen in the end. Acting wise, James Franco leads the charge as a son who won't let go of his father. Frieda Pinto is adequate.

If you are in two minds about going to this movie, take a chance and watch it. The worst that will happen is you will watch another unsatisfying movie this summer. But what if this is one of the best summer movies made this year??? Check this out and let me know.
130 out of 224 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Utter failure
Alexander Ivanchev22 August 2011
2011 is probably the year of the worst movies made ever. That said, in my personal ranking the Rise of the Planet of the Apes is hands down the worst one of the bunch. There is no real plot, the story is naive to heck and back. It's basically a patchwork of familiar themes which goes like that: Evil (greedy) corporation experiments on apes seeking profit, great noble doctor trying to find cure for Alzheimer to save his father, ape gets smarter, ape gets angry, ape unites the apes, steal serum and makes them smarter, apes beat the (censored) out of the SFPD and find freedom. Oh, and there's this evil ape which you'd think would confront the good ape, but at around 2/3 of the movie producer decides that they should leave room for a sequel (God forbid!) and the last vestiges of a plot wither and die. Oh, did I mention the hot chick which has no role or purpose? Check.

The good, some good CGI on the apes (to balance things out the forest scenes are shot on a SDTV cam), and there are a lot of emotional ape cries/ape loves/ape hugs scenes a la 'awww, how cute'. That would appeal to the young female audience I am sure.

So to conclude, if you thought the Planet of the Apes was a bad movie (I did), this one hit rock bottom and started digging. i still cannot stomach the current IMDb rating, but hey, vox populi rules the box office. You've been warned.
71 out of 118 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Apes already conquered our planet!
angelccampoamor20 August 2011
What???!!!???? 8 points out of 10 for this crap??? Something's HORRIBLY wrong with IMDb, definitely... Is everyone mad?? Or are just apes voting here? Sorry, but I can't take it. The movie is a failure at all levels, starting with the hackneyed, formulaic script. It seems to me it was written out of those computer programs that tell you the exact moment for a plot point, a catalyst, an inciting incident, a subplot second act or you name it. Garbage. From the very first second of the movie you KNOW exactly what's going to happen and how things are going to develop for the rest of the movie. And that's NOT my idea for a good (or even passable) script!! Not to mention the feeble characters. Let's take a look at them: -the good scientist, played with his usual blandness by James Franco, -the beauty love interest (I suppose she is Hindu in order to attract moviegoers from that "emergent" market...), who happens to also be wise (surely she studied in the MIT) and cultured (she is reading Shakespeare's "Julius Caesar", hence the name of the ape... Oh, come on screenwriters, you could have done better!!), -the cold scientist (complete with goatee, as a hint that he's not a good guy), played by the great Brian Cox, alas!... -the bad corporation executive (why an Afro-American, guys??) -the very very bad zoo-keeper (complete with his usual companion, the retarded zoo-keeper)... Need I say more? Better let's not talk about the apes (the one-eyed bad ape, the brute gorilla with good heart, the suave and wise orangutan...): they don't even rise -no pun intended- to the category of character... they're just BAD animation!! And, finally, talking about animation: I thought if I wasn't to see a good narration, at least I was about to witness the usual "state-of-the-art" CGI show-off... And a show-off it was, sure... but in the wrong way. I mean: all that unjustified jumping around of Caesar... what's the point?? But let me tell you something else: if "Spider-man" was criticized regarding the unnatural movements of the CGI character 10 years ago, we are in the same point here. You can be very precise with the hair of the animals and the general depiction of the skin, eyes, gestures, etc (Andy Serkis: some day he'll get even the Oscar, I'm afraid). But the more wide and complex movements (jumping, running, fighting...) still are unnatural, unreal. Somehow the animators couldn't see the forest for the trees and the apes in them. Summing it all up: IF YOU SAW THE TRAILER, YOU SAW THE PICTURE, and saved money and time.
131 out of 240 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Monkeying around with a million dollars
chaos-rampant1 December 2011
What the hell is this thing anyway? I am left here puzzling at how starved we must be for tentpole entertainment, not just now but for a long time, to have a whole bunch of films about intelligent apes running amok.

There was Godzilla at one point, Night of the Living Dead. Beyond the allegoric politics of these films that offered something to chew on, one could easily posit the mayhem in a believable world. The only stretch was to accept a giant lizard or the dead rising from graves, beyond that the ensuing destruction was carried out with a natural, unplanned dumbness driven by instincts.

The sheer ludicrousness of this thing however defies belief. Let's just swallow young genius who invents miraculous cure but with unforeseen side-effects. The idea of an intelligent ape rallying his kin of regular primates around him to throw away the bonds of human oppression. In just what kind of world can a swarm of apes stomp around San Francisco unnoticed? How to solve this? Of course imbue with a a kind of supernatural speed and co-ordination that should go unquestioned because there wouldn't be a movie otherwise.

This perfectly prefaces the final segment. The apes are suddenly super intelligent, so it makes some sense that humans would behave like primates. So set up a SWAT roadblock on one end of the Golden Bridge, then have mounted police! storm in the firing range. Have them outwitted by excellent battle tactics, wherein a bunch of gorillas push an upturned bus for cover and one of them charges against a hellicopter. Eegad.

Dumb, ugly, preposterous. But of course it's a movie about apes run amok, we should make some concessions, right? So how to handle, in that light, the extremely cheesy 'human interest' angle about father and son, maker and creation? Perhaps this is the daftest thing here, the strained emotional earnestness meant to ground this in believable world dynamics.

What is the most troubling to me, is that all this has been received with mostly a straight face and a round of applause, as an example of the summer blockbuster done right. There is a movement lobbying for an Oscar nod to Andy Serkis.

The parting image is a laugh riot of unadulterated cheese. Or was it meant to elicit a spine-tingling sensation of awe and beauty?
40 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Interesting, but an 8 out of 10 it's not.
brian_dines8 August 2011
First, it's not a bad movie, but neither is it a great movie, which what the 8 average (as offered up by IMDb users) have given it. That would put this movie above Titanic (7.4) and just below Avatar (8.1), which is ridiculous. It's not even as good as the Mark Wahlberg movie a few years ago.

Having said that, it's decent film that movie fans should see, but seeing on the big screen isn't mandated. The story telling in "Apes" is unique in that it tells the story from the point of view an orphaned chimp named Caesar, adopted as a lab-test animal by a drug researcher played by James Franco, who's good in this. Franco's character is trying to find a cure for Alzheimer's, which his father, played by the terrific John Lithcow, is in the grips of.

But the stories is told through the eyes of chimp Caesar, who goes from family pet/child to being the punching bag for a tyrannical chimp in a California rescue facility for apes. But as clever Caesar outsmarts his aggressor, he comes to realize that the humans that run the facility -- and the world at large -- are the real tyrants, and he sets out to set things right.

That portion of the story works well. What doesn't work is the predictable evil pharmaceutical boogeyman playing God by splicing DNA for profit.

As I said, the movie is OK, but and 8? Give me a break.
34 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Time to shock the monkey!
Kristine12 January 2012
Planet of the Apes is a classic film that a lot of people at least know about if they haven't seen it, you know the lines and certain scenes. It was a terrific sci-fi movie that made a break through for twist endings. Tim Burton remade the movie with Mark Wahlberg and it was just horrible, you would think that it was the closing chapter in the Planet of the Apes series. But then Rise of the Planet of the Apes came along and when I saw the trailer, I was just like "here we go again". Thinking that it was going to be a horrible movie and that they just wouldn't let the series rest in peace. But instead I have to say that I was one hundred percent wrong, I watched this movie last night and was just totally blown away. It's a prequel not trying to up the original by any means and the special effects are actually done very well. Not only that but the actors are all great who bring a lot of character to the film and gave us a reason to almost vote for the apes to take over the planet.

Will Rodman is a scientist at Gen-Sys who has been trying to develop a cure for Alzheimer's disease and is testing a new gene therapy drug on chimpanzees. The drug, a modified virus, mutates the chimpanzees, giving them a human level of intelligence. A female chimp who believes her baby is being threatened goes on a rampage and is shot by security guards. An employee Franklin cannot bring himself to kill the baby chimp and instead gives him to Will, who takes him home to raise. Will's father Charles, who is suffering from Alzheimer's disease, names the baby chimp "Caesar". Caesar has inherited his mother's high intelligence and develops quickly. One day the nasty neighbor starts picking on Charles and Ceasar gets protective and attacks the neighbor sending him to a home for chimps where he's constantly abused and sees the coldness of the world. He gets the medicine after sneaking out one night and stealing it, he gives it to the other apes and decide to take over the planet.

James Franco and John Lithgow were just terrific in the movie, there's this scene between them where John is lying in the bed dying and James wants to try again to save him, but John grabs his hand as they lie next to each other and he passes away in his sleep. I love moments where there is just silence, the expressions were enough to make you seriously shed a tear if you've lost a loved one. The star of the film though is Andy Serkis, who played King Kong and Gollum in the Lord of the Rings movies, he plays Cesar and is just fantastic. I wish he would get more notice when it came to the academy because he brings a lot of life and personality into these creatures that could be just pure CGI with no emotion, but he plays Cesar so wonderfully that you want to join the apes as well and stand behind him. There are a lot of great scenes between him and James Franco, especially when Cesar looks for permission from James like a father to go play. It's so sad to see that he's so intelligent and wonderful but there are still people in the world who are cruel and treat him that way, to see his reaction as he slowly turns against the human race is just heart breaking. I really loved this movie, I will be buying it soon to add to my Planet of the Apes collection and I'm looking forward to the next sequel if this is what they are offering.

14 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fantastic CGI undermined by slow-moving plot and unconvincing characters
Wavy Davy14 August 2011
CGI. It's the single best thing about this movie. All the apes in this movie look and seem real, and there are some fantastic scenes, such as a huge gorilla charging a policeman on a horse on the Golden Gate Bridge! The leader ape, Caesar, is portrayed through motion capture by Andy Serkis. Now, as movie fans know, Andy Serkis always steals the show. As Gollum he overshadowed Sir Ian McKellen, Viggo Mortensen and company, and as King Kong he made a painfully long, overindulgent film seem passable. Unfortunately for us, Rise of the Planet of the Apes is more like the latter.

Rupert Wyatt's directorial debut, The Escapist, was a competent effort, but one thing it was very good at was establishing character. It had a number of great character actors (Brian Cox in the lead, who also features in Rise of the Planet of the Apes), playing multi-dimensional roles. Unfortunately, this is actually the greatest weakness of Rise of the Planet of the Apes. James Franco plays Will Rodman, a scientist working on the cure of Alzheimer's, and the biggest problem about his character is that he does not act, feel or look like a scientist. Tobey Maguire was the original choice for this role before he had to drop out, and I certainly feel he would have been a better choice than his Spider Man co-star. Weaker still is Freida Pinto as Will's girlfriend who serves no purpose at all other than to occasionally warn Franco that he is tampering with things that should not be tampered with or something like that. Brian Cox and Tom Felton feature in one-dimensional roles who are laughable rather than creepy (especially Tom 'Draco Malfoy' Felton, who uses his Draco sneer in this film constantly). Finally there's David Oyelowo as Franco's money-centered boss, whose English accent is used to full effect to show how bad he is. Oyelowo's character is not developed at all, and he is the same over the number of years that the films plot goes over.

I would mention that John Lithgow's performance as Wills' Alzeimer's affected father is fairly convincing, but it does not reprieve the others.

The other major drawback is the slow plot, which lags in several places and does not serve up enough consistent action over the piece to keep entertainment-hungry teenagers happy. The end scenes, where apes begin to take a stand against the consistently nasty humans, are impressive, but by then - after being through so much back story spanning over a large number of years - I did not really care.

Lastly, and oddly, a huge drawback of the film was the marketing. As a huge movie fan, I viewed every trailer for this film, and unfortunately felt that I knew exactly what was coming since the trailer had every interesting scene in it, including in a lesser used trailer, the death of a significant character. It does not help that the film is a prequel, as the audience knows that apes succeed in taking over the world, so we know that they will not be destroyed by humans in the final battle. Because of this knowledge, it lacks tension.

In conclusion, it is certainly a watchable film, but another under-par summer blockbuster which is slow-moving and frankly boring in places. It is partially saved by the amazing CGI and conclusive battle, but this cannot quite this from getting away from a disappointing 6/10.
18 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Waste of time and money
alex_i-019 August 2011
This movie was a complete disaster. You are wasting your money. Trust me on this one. It is unrealistic in so many ways. First of all, the US has a lot more cops than 20. And a whole lot more helicopters than just 1. And a National Guard...and plenty of weapons. This movie could have been a whole lot better with a different plot, and the mimics and the behavior of the apes more realistic (except for Ceasar who should express intelligence). Just watch National Geographic Channel for Goodness sake! Did they have zoologists as consultants at all? The director just had to have action scenes. But they were few and poorly made.

The 2001 Mark Whalberg-film may be pointless, but much better than this one. And the first Charlton Heston-film is still the best.
24 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Are you kidding me?
redwriter12 January 2012
For anyone who is over 40 and has seen all the original movies, this was pathetic. No storyline, no character development, huge leaps of time and reason. I won't ruin it for you because there is nothing to ruin. Save your $1.00. Truly pathetic and not even worth writing a long review. Where are all the story tellers???? This wasn't a story at all, just a bunch of dis-jointed scenes that don't make any sense at all. Geesh, really? A bad actor, a bad actress, CGI monkey's do not a movie make. Was there really a script for this movie? Did the actors in this movie actually read it and say "wow, this is ground-breaking"?? I think not. Wheww........ I'm speechless and will rent the original over and over before I will ever watch this piece of pablum ever again.
22 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
And when i think Tim's movie was considered as a failure ! (tv)
leplatypus29 April 2014
The franchise (at first, a book by french writer !) was SF classic as it indeed lies upon a fantastic idea : what if Apes uses humankind as humankind uses Apes ? Thus, a prequel should be interesting as well.

However, the movie doesn't match my expectations : As a blockbuster from 2K10s, the production is just destroyed by color grading between blue and orange. Skins looks ugly and props get very limited. Coupled with this poor visual, the story is full of incoherences and silly characterizations : We jump 8 years as if nothing happened ; Franco is very attentive when he steals the ooze but can't see it had been stolen later ; he is motivated to do the tests but gets angry when the tests are done ; he has a silly obsession (« take Caesar home »). Lightgow is crap playing a senile father. The communication with apes and between apes is confusing (sometimes, sign language is needed, other times, a conversation is OK ; A Zoo monkey can use sign language) ; The apes multiply like gremlins and I don't really understand why they had to destroy everything and attack everyone is their only goal was to reach the forest ! And i don't expand the unbelievable fact this ooze is the miracle potion for apes and a deadly virus for mankind !

Sure, there's some interesting facts : the blind science, the abuse of animals (very convincing Drago for instance) but making extraordinary ape expression faces for pain, doubt, despair or anger doesn't mean you got a story.
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Words cannot describe the awfulness
JoeB13123 December 2011
is this what movies are going to be now. Big CGI effects shows where they don't bother with plots or anything? I guess what made me angry about this film is that it was premised on what happens when the Mark Wallburg character gets back from the Tim Burton abortion and he finds Earth run by the apes now. So there's this virus that makes apes smart and kills humans, and apparently the CDC and its counterparts in the rest of the world became completely inept in containing it.

Of course, this is a PG movie, so they can't actually show anyone getting murdered in the fall of humanity.

They do some ham-fisted imitations of the previous films, including one totally unlikable character who reprises all the Charlton Heston dialog. I guess they got his shock prod when they pried it from his cold dead hands.

Let's talk about CGI, shall we? This is Andy Sirkis once again playing a completely CGI character, and he does it well enough. He plays Caesar, a chimpanzee who gains human intelligence when treated with an Alzheimer's drug meant for John Lithgow.

The thing is, I didn't care about any of the characters except maybe Lithgows. Everyone else was a cut-out cardboard stereotype with no dimension to their character.
23 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Really?
bill-787-8116478 August 2011
I grew up watching the movies, and the series on TV, and although they were not great, the first movie with Charlton Heston, was a classic.

This movie, although had some good ties to the original series, just had too many flaws.

Here are several examples that just stood out to me...

One of the main scientists was accidentally exposed to the virus, and no one thought to keep tabs on this guy? Really?

There are about 20-25 monkeys in the Primate Habitat, but when they all escape, the over head camera shot showed around 100 monkeys running out of the enclosure, down the mountain side. Really? (This was BEFORE they broke the other 50 apes out of the zoo!)

Also Caesar's facial features looked a little too human, not enough chimp. Really. (It was supposed to be his brain that was affected, not his face)

At the GEN-SIS project HQ, main bad human, (Steven Jacobs), walks into the center of the rotunda, looks up, and sees apes all the way around surrounding him 360 degrees, (at least 2 levels full of apes that we can see) and he runs out of the building. The apes jump from the balconies to follow, but when the doors open to the outside, Steven Jacobs is the only one that comes running out. Really? How come the apes did not catch him? How come they were not hot on his trail out the door? It is after all, the very next scene we see, so at least one or two should have been chasing him out the door. (This is when all the apes came to break out the 6-8 apes at the center, making their numbers swell even more!)

-This one really killed me- Orangutan throws manhole cover at police car, and it got stuck in the window. Really? (Don't those things weigh like around 70 to 100 pounds? A car windshield stopped it? Really?)

When the police confront the apes coming at them on the Golden Gate Bridge, not a one of these cops thought that the apes would climb up on the cables, nor go under the bridge? Really?

I won't even go into the scene where apes where throwing spears, really.

The whole movie was like this... full of things you just have to wonder and think to yourself, "Really?"
39 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this