Bob Gomel: Eyewitness (2020) Poster

Good Content Badly Presented
actionmango3 February 2021
Look for a book containing Bob Gomel's stories and photos. No long analysis here of this biography. It just could have and should have been made differently.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Front seat view
dankssler22 December 2020
Amazing how many historical events Bob was a part of. He had a front seat to an amazing time and the story is well told in this documentary. Well worth a view.
fantastic documentary
cpfair-9067611 January 2021
I connot recommend this enough! An intimate narrative of a Life magazine photogtapher in the 50s and 60s with all the photos I remember and a lot that I dont. Iconic images from a time when Life Magazine was our main Social media. Great narration of each with personal behind the scene sots and background stories. Bob Gomel is a lovely man and just thank you for telling your story. An aside from me is that my grand parents lived out in central Texas and there was not good TV reception there, but in the attic was all the Life Magizines (they subscribed from the 1st issue in 1939 and kept them all). On my visits I would spend hours in th 60s bringing stacks of them down and pouring through them, it was a great learning experience for a pre teen (of course they came after comic books) and so this documentary was so nostalgic for me also.

C. Fairchild
Highly recommend
mjda-4148229 January 2021
Highly recommend this amazing documentary. Iconic photographs with interesting narratives.
Great stories!
bhsaza28 September 2020
Seeing this beautiful photography is one thing, but seeing how they were made and the story behind the guy who took them makes the pictures even better!
Outstanding narrative and visuals
katharine_fraser28 September 2020
A good dose of history from someone who was there and captured all the drama of many significant personalities. The photography itself is stunning and the photographer's stories shed meaning beyond the lens.
Eyewitness Visual Chronicle of History
brubennett28 September 2020
The contrast of Gomel's plain-spoken narrative with the visual might of his Life magazine photos makes for a compelling documentary. Scarbrough's direction facilitates this with a split frame technique: Gomel on one side recounting the capture of his images in a disarmingly dry, detailed, and self-deprecating manner with the iconic photos on the other side speaking for themselves. The marvelous Cassius Clay series pulls the viewer in and then the Richard Nixon portrait (near) debacle sets the hook irrevocably for any photographer who's ever had a big assignment go south.

Photojournalists will be struck repeatedly by the level of trust in and cooperation with the media then compared with now. In one anecdote Gomel persuades an air traffic controller union boss to choreograph a shot of planes stacked up nose-to-tail on a runway to illustrate the effect of a union work slowdown. The resulting image, though technically contrived, conveyed the truth of the story. In point, such an arrangement would never happen now but Life had that kind of juice. Gomel's access to President Kennedy, including a spontaneous steak dinner (!), is particularly notable and something very much of a bygone era. Likewise the peerless Beatles shoot. Gomel, as a Life photographer, had access to the biggest music act on the planet for two whole afternoons.

The Beatles' sequence is especially fine - many wonderful, spontaneous images - and all the more remarkable for never having been published by Life at the time it was shot. What were they thinking?
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Must see for 60's history buffs!
brianbelltraining30 September 2020
Amazing stories and experiences told by Gomel himself. He had a behind the scenes glimpse of some of the most influential figures from 1960's and beyond. A must see for anyone interested in hearing original stories about historical figures such as JFK, The Beatles, Nixon, Muhammad Ali, and more.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A refreshing look of 20th century icons from behind the lense...
lollysmith-655735 October 2020
Watched David Scarbrough 's new documentary on Amazon about local Houston photographer legend, Bob Gomel... absolutely loved it!

In a time of hyperbolic media, this documentary was so refreshing. Gomel narrates the entire documentary and gives his account of some of his most famous work. He reminisces in such a sincere way... it felt as though I was having coffee with my PamPaw listening to the stories of an incredible life.

His talent as a photographer is evident in his work alone but learning about the moments from behind the lense and how he managed to capture some of the 20th Century's most iconic figures was fascinating. His detailed account of the moments in history made me feel closer to each figure and brought each photo to life...

Kuddos to you David for an excellent production and well directed documentary... I thoroughly enjoyed every minute. It left me feeling a little bit closer to the icons of our past and, to put it plainly... warm and fuzzy all over! 😊😊
Outstanding documentary
miki-0537013 October 2020
What a life Bob Gomel has led. His photography and stories were incredible. Anyone interested in photography and history would truly enjoy this documentary.
Amazing Photography!
tristan-203362 November 2020
Incredible stories and images from some major events in the 60's! As a Beatles fan, I enjoyed the story of their arrival in Miami.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Insightful, nicely show and edited
qpejivw6 November 2020
I've never heard of Bob Gomel but once I started watching I realized how many of his photographs and art I've seen and that has shaped my background. This is a nicely watchable film - clearly a work of the heart. Beautifully shot and edited and it really keep you interested, learning about this unique artist and his journey.
Amazing Photos
grdickinson7 November 2020
It's hard to choose which photo I like the best. The Kennedy photos, the little girl, The Beatles, all are incredible. I have great memories of Life Magazine and all the wonderful photos over the years. This compilation is a walk down memory lane and a glimpse into the years before my memories began.
Fascinating and Illuminating Documentary
tpadgettlaw20 November 2020
This was an excellent and well done documentary that takes you places you had no idea existed. Of course, we have all grown up with LIFE magazine and the amazing photography of Bob Gomel, we just did not know it.

This documentary takes you behind the scenes of some of the most important events of the last century. The insight into how these photos were made and the stories that Mr. Gomel relates are delightful.

I would have wished for some more detail on photography or more detail about the historical events covered, but that does not detract from the film at all.

I highly recommend this for any student of history or someone interested in photography.

Warning: Be ready for the Homecoming at the end. It's amazing.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrific stories, and a great insight into history
larissalindsay11 January 2021
I loved this. These are the pictures from my life, and I never payed appropriate attention to the man behind the camera. Not only does he know the angle to shoot, but he knows how to get the person in the studio (I love the Nixon story). If you love the art of photography, history, and knowing the stories behind some of history's biggest events, watch this. Our enjoyment and escape during Covid.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So *that's* how those amazing photos were captured
jerrodl-9248311 January 2021
Great insider look into how some of the most famous LIFE photos were captured--and into some of the personalities that defined mid-20th century Americana. Fun viewing for history buffs.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Timeless snapshot of the "Golden Age of Photography"
skip-0194112 January 2021
Bob Gomel takes you through some of his iconic works, mostly from the 60's, sharing the insights and backstories that separated him his peers. Unlike today, where history can be live-streamed by anyone, we relied on photojournalists like Gomel to take us into the action and behind the scenes to document the reality of our world and the people in it. Even if you've never dipped your fingers in a stop-bath, you will find Gomel's accounts of Muhammad Ali, Richard Nixon, John F. Kennedy, and the Beatles fascinating. As much as Gomel's works painted a picture of their day, Director David Scarbrough's piece helps preserve the history-behind-the-history of this legendary photographer.
Fascinating
julietnn-5122813 January 2021
Absolutely amazing, had no idea who this photographer was, I have seen some of his photography work, but actually had no idea, how much I had really seen of his work. The back stories and set ups are outstanding and how he got to the finished photo, is gobsmacking. I absolutely recommend any photographer to watch this and any person who wants to learn about some very amazing history and photos and how they where obtained. Beautifully shot and edited with the exact questions you want answers too. Bravo
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great memories of the 60's here!!
beamer-2545319 January 2021
We really enjoyed this documentary. Seeing all those images from the 60's and hearing the stories in Bobs own words was special.
Fascinating look across time
stephenbanks-458475 February 2021
Today, people snap photos with their phones without a care in the world but once upon a time you had 1 shot to get the picture. This was a fascinating look at some critical people and events in the world from someone I hadn't heard of until recently. I started watching to skim but sat thru it all start to finish.
A life behind Life Magazine photos
ginarosedickinson6 February 2021
Growing up in the 60's and 70's you knew that cover of Life Magazine was always special. Watching this documentary and learning just how special those cover photos truly are was fascinating. A birds eye view from the inside the dome of the Capitol rotunda would be difficult today, even with a drone, and Bob Gomel did it with cables and rigging and a camera to capture the iconic photo of President Eisenhower's flag draped coffin for the cover of Life Magazine. Amazing work and amazing stories. If you are over 50, you might just remember some of these photos. Enjoy a look back in time!
To Witness ...
janine-2552222 January 2021
What an extraordinary opportunity to be able to be part of history - this makes me want to spend a day with Bob Gomel - just to hear the stories - see the picture - know that moment in time - that will always be captured forever. Well done.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.