The Umbrella Academy (TV Series 2019– ) Poster

1,505 Reviews
Well done !
as_ilona15 August 2020
It rarely happens in series that the second season is better than the first.
300 out of 352 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Masterclass on how to use music in movies
rlorenzoa19 February 2019
Very entertaining series about superheroes, where superheroes have a life, a character, dramas and traumas... But what in my opinion raises it above the already good series is the use of music in the movie. Remarkable, impressive, needs to recognized with an award. It's been years (pulp fiction?) since I saw such a perfect use of music for the last time!
1,263 out of 1,530 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unexpectedly Excellent
rtipping6821 August 2020
When I decided to give this a go I was expecting a teen "special powers" typical Netflix whining American beauties accompanied by chisel faced men nonsense. The sort of series in which you could not care less about the characters with the obligatory politically correctness to teach us something in a patronising and predictable sort of way. Well I could not have been more wrong on this occasion.

The actors are well cast and you do care about them all. I found the humour was genuinely funny. There is a lesbian relationship in season two and a gay relationship spanning both seasons which went beyond ticking the netflix diversity check box and was rather touching and relevant. Well done for doing a great job in weaving that into the story in a sensitive and meaningful way.

I actually preferred Season two but that is in no way saying season one was bad because it wasn't. Season 2 also covered political issues in the form of black activists and cold war paranoia which was relevant for the time in which it was set. This also was very well done and did not come across as preaching but rather it made me appreciate the struggle facing black people back then and in some way still do sadly.

I was blown away with the CGI concerning the character Pogo. This was a purely CGI driven character and it / he was brilliant. It would seem no expense was spared and the detail is worthy of any blockbuster movie. I don't want to give anything away but you will know what I mean when you watch it.

I tip my hat to the person or people responsible for a great soundtrack.

It would seem that all the ingredients where spot on in making this an entertaining watch for both teenagers and adults alike, a rare feat for netflix. The only other series I have watched that managed this was Stranger Things.

Netflix did good here, the acting was great and the characters and story was wacky enough to deliver humour and seriousness convincingly. Looking forward to season 3.
113 out of 133 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Number 5 better be a teenager still in season 3
william-thay17 September 2020
Hurry up and release season 3. Five is turning 16 tomorrow and if we wait another couple years he'll be an adult and not very smart anymore. Netflix, please proceed with filming.
95 out of 119 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Only 7.9 overall?
deandrury2 August 2020
How this only has 7.9 is crazy to me! The second season is brilliant!!
238 out of 312 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bloody brilliant!
sammy_dimitrova17 February 2019
First episode is a little slow, but after that it just keeps coming at you until all that's left are the credits of episode 10. The sound track is fantastic, acting on point, story line brilliantly executed. Can't wait for more!
702 out of 960 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Most Peculiar Story
drb-2751713 April 2020
Semi super heroes, all born on the same day with different mothers, with most of them acquired to be raised by one man.

Without getting into details, it is perhaps the most eclectic story line concerning folks with special powers. Very unusual, interesting, and the best music I've ever heard as background.

The music. If the story line doesn't intrigue you, the music will. I've had to stop the show several times to "Sound Hound" the music because it is the best soundtrack I've ever heard.

Story line plus the music makes this series a definite winner. It's well worth your time in an era crowded with series of all genres of exclusive shows.
127 out of 172 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Everything fox missed with X-men
burnsb-7139316 February 2019
I read the comic for the umbrella academy about a year ago And was so intrigued by the characters. When I heard the Netflix was making it into a show I was so Excited. I was worried that they would change the source material and ruin it but I was so surprise when they adapted into something remarkable. Instead of taking the characters and butchering their storylines and traits , the show improved their backgrounds and arcs in ways I didn't think possible. The concept is very similar to the X-Men, where a group of kids raised in an academy with special powers, however it thrives in the sense that these characters have family drama as well as dealing with their powers. This show is a must watch for those who love the super hero genre!!!!!
469 out of 685 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Obsessed with it.
abhilive-3174018 May 2021
Success of any movie or show is leave a question behind it and let the audience wait for next installment.

Best part is season 2 complete season 1.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good series with great music
lynnboe6 May 2020
Overall the umbrella academy is a good series, but what raises it above average is the amazing use of music. Absoloutely astounding. The acting is pretty good. Aidan Gallagher does a great job portraying an old man in a 13 year old body, it is a believable performance and it is a great character. When it comes to the rest of the characters, Vanya seemed a little flat, and she didnt give me much up until the last few episodes. The story line with Luther and Allison was unnecessary, and at some point i found myself skipping through them. Klaus is a great comedy relief, but we still see a deeper side to him. Definitely one of my favorite characters.

The first episode is a bit slow, but it gains some momentum at the end. The story line builds up nicely througout the rest of the episodes. At some points the plot seems a little predictable, but nothing that bothered me too much.

I definitely recommend the umbrella academy, and I am looking forward to season two!
110 out of 154 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Netflix's Troubled Super Family...
ahmetkozan27 February 2019
The Umbrella Academy is a very exciting series with its theme and script. But I can tell you that the script is not very loyal to the comic book. It has a more original scenario than the original story. There are so many aspects of the series that leave the comic book. This is both positive and negative. In addition to all of this, the series has very strange references. In the series, the black comedy is combined with the drama and added fantastic powers onto it. I can say that a good job has emerged with the processing of the subject, family relations and post production. Compared to Marvel productions or superhero teams like X-Men, The Umbrella Academy has less action and slow but is good enough. Acting, music, visual effects were fine. The most successful actors in the series are undoubtedly Robert Sheehan, who plays Klaus, and Aidan Gallagher, who plays Number Five. The series focuses on a family that has been severed from each other, hidden secrets and the past. So if you are expecting the heroes wearing costumes and advanced weapons and vehicles, you will not find you want in The Umbrella Academy. If you determine your expectations accordingly, The Umbrella Academy will be your liked a production. 8/10
216 out of 317 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Season One is Good, Season 2 is bloody fantastic!
zorrodg-316-2383303 August 2020
While Season One of The Umbrella Academy had a tonal imbalance and took a little too long to get to the good stuff, it was still watchable and populated with fun, relatable characters. Season 2 manages to not only keep the best parts of its inaugural run, but fixes all of its missteps along the way.

Characters are further defined and have well-motivated arcs, the universe expands nicely, the tone is consistent while maintaining a powerful emotional through-line, and the weirdness factor is turned up to 11.

All in all if you can get through a rocky but entertaining freshman season, you'll be blown away and throughly satisfied with the wilder and wackier follow up.
77 out of 108 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
u will not regret watching this series
xolohee26 May 2021
This series kinda puzzling with audience since the "dad" kinda mysteries . I agreed with other reviewer that second season is better than the first and it rarely happens in other series .
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Some Kind of X Men that Time travels
lynansaysingle21 May 2021
This is a show that my son enjoys so its good to find one I can watch with him. I do like the story line. I dont think all the actors picked for the characters suit the part. Im just not feeling it for Allison especially Luther. Not as perfect fit as the others. Watched the first 2 seasons and Im keen to see what happens in Season 3. The show does remind me so much of X Men so the concept is not original. Still enjoy it just the same. So watch it if you are a fan of superhero genre.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Original, Different, Outside the box.......
fuller_ryan-4888316 February 2019
First off, the soundtrack alone Is worth watching the show. Humor, action and mysterious plot keeps you engaged. This is not your typical "superhero" show, and that's a good thing. The cast is great. Terrific performances from just about everyone. I recommend this show if you are looking for something a bit odd, yet keeps you curious and entertains with some great action and comedy.
326 out of 507 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amusing, but predictable
ericanaess16 February 2019
Sometimes this show feels as though Wes Anderson made a superhero show, and that's the good part. The problem with the plot is that it's really obvious to figure out, so when they reveal the "twists" you're like, I knew that already. It's also quite disjointed.

Five and Klaus are probably the best, along with Hazel, in terms of characters and actors.

People seem to be exaggerating on both sides: it's not the worst thing ever, nor is it the best. It's amusing and has potential, but didn't quite get there.
588 out of 954 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very Entertaining!
DiCaprio-HardyFan15 June 2021
The Umbrella Academy is such an incredible show that should be entertaining to all types of different people! I would absolutely recommend it to any fan of superheros, action, sci-fi, fantasy or drama because it has something for fans of all those genres! It may start a little slow for some while it builds up the story and characters, but it gets better and better as the story progresses. I thought Season 2 was even better than the Season 1 and it was just renewed for a third season, which I can't wait for! I'm a huge fan of superhero movies/shows and while I have to say The Umbrella Academy isn't my absolute favorite one, it's still really good and very entertaining! It really does bring a fresh take to the genre!
Just too good.
Sliperrymoves16 May 2021
This is pure, high quality brilliance.

Apparently my review is too short.
Human Superheroes
bibierrec15 May 2021
I'm not too much into comics but this series is not only for comics and superheroes lovers (although the original drawings are amazing).

The thing I loved the most is the deep insight into those siblings, their humanity at loss, their struggle in life.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Starts vaguely promising and kinda stays there
cherold6 March 2019
After the first episode of The Umbrella Academy, I thought, maybe. The premise was intriguing, it had superheroes, and there was some mystery. It was a little slow, and felt a little overstuffed, but it had potential.

By the fifth episode I was done.

Initially I thought the show was trying a little too hard. Robot moms, talking monkeys, a whole bunch of superpowers, an apocalypse and a whole bunch of side stories. It seemed slight excessive.

Yet while at first it seemed like Umbrella Academy was too much, by episode five I had concluded it was too little. Most of the characters were bland. Too much of the plot was devoted to their angst. The Umbrella Academy is basically a show about dull, depressed people with superpowers.

There were fun moments, exciting moments, funny moments, but the series always went back to being a slow-moving, angsty bummer. It was like watching someone depressed breaking out in a moment of fun then remembering how depressed they were and sitting down glumly to mope. The story is somewhat intriguing, but I found reading the plot description in wikipedia a more expedient way to resolve my curiosity.

Doom Patrol, which came out the same day, is (so far) a lot more fun. But I have seen as much of UA as I care to.
46 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you love misfits you'd love this welcome back natham
tarynmorrison-5356516 February 2019
I love this show. I love heros, I love misfits and this is a beautiful mix of both. And I love Robert every since he was Nathan. This is so creative but familiar. I love it!
307 out of 516 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mixed feelings
anniedowell15 February 2019
I had high expectations (maybe too high). Ellen Page made the show nearly impossible to sit through at times. The rest of the cast was the only thing that kept me watching it.
532 out of 939 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Robert Sheehan
tonyro-5289627 December 2020
Robert Sheehan as Klaus for me is the best thing about this show. Overall it got better as it went on. Looking forward to a new season.
15 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Enough to Overcome Ellen Page? Meh, you decide.
bkhazelett19 February 2019
I like these kind of shows and will give them the benefit of the doubt beucase after all it is a show, so we should just sit back and relax. Thing is, ELLEN EFING PAGE's acting constantly distracts you, snapping you out of reality the director is creating. It hard to enjoy a show when she is there with the same tired borrish look of angst she does in EVERYTHING she is in.

Good grief Hollywood at what point do you realize you are pumping a dry well?
319 out of 565 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring & forced drama
tudorpsih16 February 2019
It started slow with not much promise and still went downhill. All the drama seems manufactured in a writing room as opposed to some sort of realism that transpires through the screen. Also, Ellen Page isn't suited for the role.

It was nearly unbearable to watch this show.
416 out of 747 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.