After Ever Happy (2022) Poster

If only it was After all.
movieman6-413-92951024 August 2022
After Ever Happy is the fourth film in the After film series. The film is directed by Castille Landon, who also directed the third installment of the series.

After the discovery from the previous film, Hardin (Hero Fiennes Tiffin) is confronted with a shocking truth. He ends up furious in a depression, which Tessa (Josephine Langford) only gets rid of him more. Because of this, she decides to leave him.

After a shocking event for Tessa, Hardin tries to come back to her to help her, only she is no longer interested in him. Both have to put their problems aside if they want their relationship to continue to work, to build a future together, or else live alone next to each other.

This fourth film is, just like the previous films in the series, put together very messy. So messy that it just remains difficult to follow and the eventual events seem more unrealistic and almost no longer believable.

The characters also keep making unrealistic or illogical decisions. Tessa and Hardin keep looking for each other, only to say goodbye after a short while. They keep making these decisions, because they keep changing their minds in a short period of time. In this way, the film comes across more as a weak yes-nothing game. Most problems could simply be solved with a good and serious conversation, but unfortunately they continue to choose unrealistic ways with the films, which often only make the problems unnecessarily bigger.

The film is further filled with clichés from a standard romantic film, only all the relationships in this film seem too rushed without any credible chemistry. Furthermore, the film is also filled with flashbacks from the previous films.

The acting doesn't come out very well because of the bad scripts. Josephine Langford comes across as an ignorant and somewhat spoiled teenager. Hero Fiennes Tiffin continues to come across as a crank, who in this film must try to be something kind to help his girlfriend during her own crisis. Yet they often come out too exaggerated as if they were playing in a more dramatic soap opera.

They end the film so uninteresting and unbelievable for you as a viewer. If the scripts and maybe even the books had been written better, the whole story would have been best told in two books or movies. The series actually remains fun only for fans of the books or film series, but after a while in which they get older, they will hopefully also see the weak sides of the entire story.
50 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
These keep getting worse.
Unfilmy12 October 2022
I have watched the previous movies and I can say that they are just getting bad and bad. Hardin is still a dipsh1t guy who has some serious anger issues but Tessa doesn't leave him (Because she loves him soooo much duh).. And when she decides to leave him, the guy isn't leaving her alone (because he doesn't believe her duhhh).

Hardin keeps cribbing and screaming in the first half. Second half gets a little better but it's still very messily done. Even after four movies, you don't feel for these guys. They are just some random teenagers who keep crying and fighting and then keep making up.

Girls, this is what toxic guys look like. I hope you learn from the movie, have some self respect in case you find a red-flagged person and leave him for good. It's NOT your responsibility to fix him.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
on and off crap fest
mejaflora30 September 2022
So lets imagine these 2 are my best friends and I have the unfortunate luck of watching their so called on and off relationship go up and down, misunderstandings, fights, bickering, break ups, sudden hook ups and then break up again. You know what, after the first movie, i'm breaking up with these 2 friends.

If you cannot listen and talk like normal adults and stop giving stupid ultimatums, walk offs, grouchy growls every single second, then maybe just maybe we can be friends again.

Maybe go learn from kdramas on how to handle romance. Feel good romance. This is just horrible drivel stressful to life.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Part one of a two part story healing of Hardin eased abruptness of ending
cgvsluis22 September 2022
This is part one of a two part handling of After Ever Happy which is the conclusion of Tessa and Hardin's story. This is the fourth film and I was happy to see that they kept as many cast members as they had considered some of the major changes between films one, two and three.

I am a big fan of the books (guilty pleasure) and recognize that this is not the healthiest of relationships, but in this film we see a subtle shift to Hardin in which he does some healing independent of Tessa and Tessa does a little growing up independent of Hardin. These are some signs of moving towards a healthier relationship.

In this installment we pick up right where the third film ended with Hardin discovering that his mom was unfaithful to his father and in fact he has a different biological father. This of course sets Hardin off on his usual path of destruction. Tessa makes one attempt to reach him, but then decides she has to look out for herself and heads back home to America where she makes a devastating personal discovery (I would actually say two discoveries). Hardin finally realizes that he should be there for Tessa when she needs him. But it seems that this revelation is a little too late as Tessa decides she needs time apart and goes to New York with Landon. This film ends at an odd moment that leaves you looking over your shoulder for the next film with the "wait is that it?".

As a fan of the story, I am still thrilled that it is getting a film treatment and I love the two main actors. They seem to have wonderful chemistry which really helps sell the story. I have big hopes for the next film. There are not as many steamy scenes in this film as our main characters spend a lot of time apart...but don't let that deter the romantics, I think you will still be happy.

Strong recommendation to fans of the story and to romantics I say hang in there, I think you will ultimately be happy.
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Made a IMDB Account just to rate this movie
fxyjgbfn10 September 2022
A aggressive boy and a nice girl. Overly dramatic non sense. Uff everyone who rates this above 4 is just a fan boy but as a movie itself it just can't stand itself. It's like 100 Stock footages glued together, sorry but it's like a low budget Netflix movie which teach young relationships that toxic behaviour is cool and can add spice in a relationship and sex is the solution for all that trouble... uff.... I hate it when people can't control their anger and the hero is one of those. I will not go in the next movie and I think the bad reviews are from boyfriends like me who got in the cinema with their girlfriends to give this movie a chance but it failed for those people.
45 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A film? No, a meme.
OzeLotWrites17 September 2022
This is one of the worst films I have watched in a long time. To be honest I just waited for it to end. It was an experience filled with lame characters and lines, lame music and lame scenes. I am sorry but I can't think of anything good about this film. The way the characters feelings are being portrayed in this movie are bizarre at the highest level, no wonder Hardin has become a meme...

I think the story itself that this After-series has could be good, I mean the books are loved by many, but the films are just straight up lame. Hardin has clearly a drinking problem, which is often portrayed in the movie. A problem that is tragic, but every time he started to drink or scream everyone in the cinema was just laughing. This character has become a meme. And that's why people are watching it, to make fun of it. And this is so sad. But this is of course not the movie's fault....or is it?

Maybe you should ask Trevor....

Don't waste your time by watching this movie, at least not for the sake of wanting to watch something serious, wholehearted and exciting.
18 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's just felt wrong
nicolinafina24 August 2022
I am, like many others, a fan of the books and I almost didn't wanna see this movie because the book contains a lot of things that make the book emotional and hard to read. After Ever Happy is suppose to make you feel like you ship Hardin and Tessa at the same time as you want then to break up and I never got that feeling.

I did have emotions while watching the movie, but they were more in line of anger towards the person who held the knife while slaughtering the book before writing a script.
18 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not As Bad As Normal
joshtill-9810015 September 2022
My best friend and I have a yearly tradition where we see this movie at the latest showtime at our local theatre, ready for not a care in the world with the worlds most shallow plot. This one, surprisingly wasn't as bad as normal, and is my favourite of all of the after movies. The nudity is toned down a lot in this film, and it deals with actual grief and sadness to a point where i actually cared for Tessa and Hardin. So, would I recommend it? Not if you're a newbie. But if you're going down the same never-ending road as me, then you might enjoy this one, it's by far the most mature.

Spoiler Territory: I was actually quite shocked when Tessa's dad died. It was insane seeing how far the writers had attempted to go with the character, and it seemed as if his arch was just starting. To kill him off was quite sudden, and honestly, a little surprising.

To be continued...
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Genuinely Shocked By The Bad Reviews!
mandypsl8 September 2022
I'm not saying this is one of the best films I've seen in a while, but it's pretty freaking good. First of all, if you haven't read the books or at least seen the other three films, then you're probably going to be lost. So it's not fair to rate this film poorly based off a plot that you may have no idea about. Secondly, this is probably one of the better films if not the best film in the series. The two leads acted their hearts out, especially the male lead, and it's safe to say they've corrected any "mistakes" they've made from previous films. Overall, the film was pretty damn good. It stayed true to the books and characters, the sex scenes weren't in-your-face and placed strategically at the right time to aid the storyline, and the emotional, thematic material was raw and actually pretty realistic. Sure, there were a few silly moments that probably deserved the lower ratings. But overall, this film was well made. Loved seeing a female lead stand up for herself and what she believes is right in a relationship. Loved seeing a male lead own up to his actions and realistically see the professional help he desperately needed. Hopefully the next film does this one justice.
28 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awful
gsjjhpcgd25 August 2022
The movie seems very long without much action compared to the last three movies it's the worst one and I don't think I would want to watch the next one which will obviously happen, I was a fan but now I'm disappointed and shocked as to how it went so bad and the ending is honestly a joke. Nothing special wouldn't recommend especially if you have to pay for it, a waste of money.
22 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sometimes I wonder if I watched the same movie as the nay sayers
pbombardieri8 September 2022
I enjoyed the movie. I will admit that I was unaware that it was to be continued. Do I care- NO! I get another opportunity to get out for an enjoyable evening watching attractive actors who I see growing in their roles. I saw the character development well done by Hero. He showed that he was growing up as a person and we started to see some of the genius that Hardin was born with. After thinking about the movie as I just drove home from the theater I came to the conclusion that I liked the pace and believe that it wasn't bad to make it a part one because I didn't feel that the story was short changed. When's the next installment??
14 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Main Actor
mrodriguezcreativity4 September 2022
Someone please needs to speak to Hero Fiennes about acting classes. He comes from a family of actors. The movie was not bad nor good. It was like any other of the past movies. I believe if we got the Hardin we deserved it would've been better. Althought, I'm not only blaming him but Anna Todd anyone else involved in these past films. They needed better direction, script and actors. Don't get me wrong I think Hero is gorgeous and has an amazing ass but his acting is pure cringe.

And before you go off on me I am a fan still and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who thinks the same. Let's see what the other film brings.
13 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awful
nikki-grant-8176731 August 2022
Having watched the other 3 movies an unhealthy amount of times, and reading the books twice - published and wattpad versions.. to say i was let down by this movie would be an understatement. While the previous movies had many steamy scenes, this was heavy petting at best. Hardins drug and alcohol bender in London is nowhere to be seen. And then they go and pull a twilight and split the last book into two movies! And on that note, they chose to end it at the weirdest part. It's also only 90mins long. Not 2 hours. Seems like when they decide split it they just cut some footage off... And don't even get me started on yet another cast change. Paired with a horrific wig on Tessa.. I was really looking forward to this movie and was severely disappointed. The Don't Worry Darling trailer that ayed before the movie got me more excited in it's 3 minutes than this movie did in 90 minutes.
18 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I wanted this to be the last...
cheyennesky-223372 October 2022
Okay, so the books were extremely toxic but it was a guilty pleasure for me since it was just a book. The break-up, make-up situation is pretty much what happened in the books too so I can't really complain. I knew what I was getting into.

The two playing Hardin & Tessa are both beautiful people but what bothers me is the acting and chemistry between them. In the books I felt the emotions between Hardin & Tessa despite the awful relationship they had. Here, they lack the chemistry. It's the fourth movie, I expected either better acting from both or at least some sort of attraction between them. They go through the movie seeming as if they are forced to be there and act out the scenes.

The most emotional part for me was when Tessa found her dad & the few scenes after, the actress managed to act out the grief perfectly.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best
Lolo13425 August 2022
This movie was phenomenal. The acting from every cast member was first class, especially the two leads. It was so authentic to the book and heartbreaking. My favourite of the series, Castille Landon did a fantastic job.
19 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
meh !
surovitanvi8 September 2022
Like every movie they made ,their chemistry seems so off. Like what the hell? Are you guys even a couple? I am not saying because of their toxic relationship. Hero doesn't seem to fit in hardin's charater. It seems he tries really hard to get into it but the whole thing just turns into awkward mess. Their chemistry is nothing like the books. It doesn't make you emotional like the books or even care for them. The only thing they were good at making was the steamy scenes in all movies , but this one takes the cake.

And those bangs they gave tessa looks so ugly. Eww! These are porbably the worst bangs i have ever seen.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really great movie
Nedboi25 August 2022
I really enjoyed this instalment. The story flowed really well and was very true to the book. Some of the scenes between Hardin & Tessa were so intense and beautiful. Important message in this story and loved the way it was portrayed on screen.
19 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing Melodrama
Books2film12 September 2022
Ends on a weird cliffhanger and is was so rushed it made no sense at all. I read all the books and love them but I only really like the first film in this franchise. It is really a shame how this major book franchise has turned into a really weird plotless machine for fans of the leads only. Anyone else watching this as an outsider will be completely lost. The Nora and Landon couple were very cringe and the nightmare scenes and certain dramatic parts for Hardin were funny when they are not supposed to be.

I really wanted to like this for and there are some ok scenes but overall this is a movie I would skip if I didn't want to watch the final movie for myself since I am a fan of the books. I will not be watching any more continuations though it's just no longer worth it at all. The people giving this movie great reviews are the ones who only care about aww moments between the leads. Otherwise this is an impossible franchise to take seriously.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love it
bradesandjem31 August 2022
I actually enjoyed this film more then the last film. I felt the last one was rushed through but this one seemed slower and more in depth in the scenes. Although the books are much more emotional I think hero did an exceptional job this film! His emotion was raw and you could feel it during the movie. Jo also was amazing, they both have such a good chemistry I couldn't imagine anyone else being Tessa and Hardin. It was disappointing that we have to wait to see what happens but overall it was a good movie that pulls at your heart strings. Thankyou to everyone who worked so hard at bringing us these films, I can't wait for the second part.
14 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Repetitive, too much breaking up and arguing.
LeoDominicField200024 September 2022
Love the actors, nothing personal towards them, I'm 30 minutes in and they've already had FOUR arguments... it's just receptive and silly. I found the exact problem with their 3rd film too... whenever there is a passionate scene between the two, it's more like... ahhh here we go again and just lose interest.

2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow
Kerr1125 August 2022
This movie was even better than I imagined. I knew it would be good because they did a great job with AWF. Hero playing Hardin trying to deal with his past and overcome it was done in such an authentic way. Their chemistry is once in a lifetime and once again, blew me away. Music is beautiful also.
16 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow
lindakiss8 September 2022
This movie was great and I'm not lying I just hate how people are not really giving the movie a chance instead of hating on it . It's good and hero and Josephine did a terrific job on their roles. They both show a lot of expression and emotions while acting so that to me is a "10". My thought on the story it make sense and the love chemistry of the last chapter was super good . They did really good on the 4 film then the 3rd film. I was surprised how their acting got better on the fourth film and I wouldn't mind watching it 5 times in a roll. I love the series /book. I am a after fan since day 1. Basically everything seem okay in this movie they all improve !!!
10 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Marry the Person; Marry the Family - After Ever Happy
arthur_tafero7 October 2022
News Flash; when you get married, you do not just marry the person you are with, you marry their family as well. On many occasions, one or more of the families will have differing opinions on how you should act within your relationship. I had a mother-in-law once who told me to get a better job, when she herself, never had a job in her life. One mother-in-law tried to give my mother her used leather boots as a gift; my mother gave them to the Salvation Army. We never really know the emotional entanglements of our partner's relationships with theri family. We have clues and indications, but we never know for sure; we have to discover them one at a time. An interesting premise and watchable.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Much Better Than Part 3. This Movie Learned From Its Faults.
diptanshusingh-1093625 September 2022
I really appreciate this movie for working on its major flaws from part 3. Part 3 had a very poor storyline with just sex as the main point of sell. This movie followed its root from the After Ever Happy book and I liked that. Very great acting by Hero (Hardin). After 2 not the top movies in the series I feel this movie has given us a great storyline with having a sex but a minute one, great choice of soundtrack, Greatly working out the differences in the book and movie storyline, for example, The I want kids scene was showcase in the car in book but movie did on their home, Its a good watch to say the least. Josephine (Tessa) not really shined on this, I feel its both direction and bit a Josephine fault. It also felt that they could have stretch some scene bit longer. Somewhere Hero acting dulled but was picked up. I can see the director tried good too.

Much appreciation for the cast!!!

I STILL FEEL SINCE ITS ALREADY R RATED THIS MOVIE SERIES COULD HAVE FOLLOWED THE SAME DARKER VERSION STRAIGHT FROM THE BOOKS STORYLINE. THAT WHY IT COULD HAVE A MAJOR MALE AUDIENCE TOO.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
After Ever Happy
CinemaSerf21 October 2022
This is just the gift that keeps on giving... Only thing is, once you take the admittedly attractive wrapping from the box, the present is empty! This continues the on/off, love/hate, familial discord of "Tessa" (Josephine Langford) and her beau "Hardin" (Hero Fiennes Tiffin). The thrust here (and there is far less actual thrusting in this film than in the others) seems to be to prove that the young lovers are maturing; they are beginning to realise that they are more two peas in a pod than we might have originally considered. This also develops the roles of the parents - especially "Trish" (Louise Lombard) and "Ken" (Rob Estes) as we discover they have plenty of demons of their own, and so frankly it is no real wonder that the weans have grown up quite so dysfunctional. It is hard to know just quite who this film is for. The story is all over the place, the melodrama weak and implausible and the characterisations become less and less engaging as this tiresome and frankly rather boring franchise drags all of their unwanted dirty washing onto the screen. It is also quite difficult to know whom this is relevant too or for, and HFT is as wooden as a board throughout. The production is adequate, clearly these have been made on a modest budget, but the writing is as infantile as the performances. I gather there are more to come - can't wait!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.