Rogue Hostage (2021) Poster

(2021)

Be prepared for a terrible movie
nfdpmnv12 June 2021
This movie may quite literally be the worst movie I've ever sat down and willingly watched. It's sad to see John Malkovich in this. The plot is the same basic action movie plot with many unreasonable things happening and, on top of that, painfully cringe-worthy acting. If there was a way to rate this under 1 star, I would swiftly take that opportunity.
70 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A new level of BAD
stdly200012 June 2021
It starts off so bad I figured it had to get better.

It didn't it got worse I can't believe I didn't turn it off.

The story is bad the acting is bad the characters are not likeable, what more can I say.

I compare movies like this to one of the worse movies I ever watched, but this is worse than Bunnyman.

This movie sets a new level of bad for me to compare to.

There are so many things bad about this movie I don't want to waste more of my time even talking about it.
50 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just watch this when you drunk.
kenzibit12 June 2021
A lot of movies have this flavor and it's getting pretty annoying. Nothing new, every move predictable and this movie does an extra job of making everything bad; poor dialogues, bad actors and actresses with bad acting, bad choreographies... an amateur way of doing things and becomes very hard to watch. Like I said just get drunk and watch.... It looks like a school project.
40 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring, low quality drama
Plazeebo12 June 2021
I wonder why they added an action star like Michael J. White to the cast, only to give him zero action scenes.

Tyrese Gibson does the action, but he does it so poorly you almost start to root for the bad guys.

The story is going nowhere. The action is stale. The characters seems to be added in there at random.

The hero has PTSD and helps kids for a living. We're supposed to like him. But we don't really care for any of the characters in this lackluster.
32 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Did they have compromising photos of Malkovich?
kwolf-6249118 June 2021
How in the world did John Malkovich get mixed up in this mess? Terrible script, plot points missing, awful acting..there's just so much bad here. The attempt at suspense is laughable. The characters are paper thin. I was actually rooting for some of them to die. Zombies would have actually helped.
18 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The only "hostage" in Rogue Hostage is the viewer of this film
Top_Dawg_Critic17 June 2021
Here's another example of hiring big-name actors to entice the viewer to see a really bad film. And was it ever bad.

I get that it's newb writer Mickey Solis' first full length film screenplay, but there's no excuse to take a simple generic genre, and chop it up into incoherent nonsense where the action was laughable, and the dialogue cringe-worthy. "What's that? A bomb (over the door)". *still opens door* "be careful". Uggggh. The story lacked continuity and basic logic. The normally comfortable 93 minute runtime felt like 2+ hours with the slow pacing and dragged out filler scenes for the little amount of substance the (convoluted) story had.

What's even worse, is that you have producer and seasoned director Jon Keeyes quarterback this entire nonsense. I've seen first time amateur directors produce a film 100x better. He horribly directed the scenes, camera work, and failed miserably in directing his cast. The cinematography was bad, and the score on the worst side of the b-film grade spectrum. The sound felt distant, as if someone forgot the boom mics.

I want to say that perhaps if some of the high-paid actor budget was used to have a seasoned filmmaker go over the amateur screenplay for edits to improve it, but a seasoned director (Keeyes) could/should have fixed this mess. I feel bad for Gibson and Malkovich having this flop on their resume. It's a very generous 4/10 from me, all going to the star leads who did their best with what they had to work with.
21 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Avoid
stevenj-812 June 2021
Don't waste your time. It is so bad, and gets worse.
32 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
They tried (or did they)
clos-7422012 June 2021
Terrible acting, lame actuon, I can't believe I watched the whole thing. Avoid unless you are extremely bored or want to fall asleep.
28 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst movie of all time!
ryancody-6506212 June 2021
Never seen a movie absolutely waste money or acting talent like this one did. Would've had more imagination if it was written and directed by a bunch of 10 year olds. Absolute trash.
24 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oh my - that was really bad, worst stinker this year!
psxexperten13 June 2021
I just don't get what was the whole point, it just sucks so hard that I can't believe this has been done intentionally - surely something went horribly wrong somewhere, there has to be some excuse for the lack of any intelligence.

No words can describe what a piece of poo this is. The unbelievable content aside, the production/post production quality is beyond horrendous. Story - abominable. Acting - laughable. Concept - WHAT THE F....???
15 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Woke Lame Action Film....look elsewhere.
jcriche12 June 2021
Well nearly right, its Woke and lame in equal measure, but action it is not, the acting is.. well they got paid for this dire piece of filmography, but I guess this is what we have to put up with in 2021, Wokeness seeping into our lives from every direction in films and television now a days, due to events in certain parts of the world...

Tyrese Gibson is so flat with no character it's unbelievable, as a lead he is just not big enough to carry it, the script doesn't help either, the rest tried their best to carry on regardless, but my one question is how did such an outstanding talented actor like John Malkovich, get talked into doing this.
30 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pure Garbage
vkasthakur12 June 2021
Watch it only if you have an assignment on how to make some well known actors go wrong in a Sloth action movie and watch everything in it deteriorate from the word go till the end.
21 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ehrm, what?
setter-imdb13 June 2021
This was one odd movie that centered about a bunch of people running around inside of supermarket. That is it. When it ended I had to check my remote to make sure it didn't randomly fast forward things - it did not. John Malkovich was great (duh), but outside of that I've no idea what I just watched.
18 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not great at all
gab-6759911 June 2021
Tyrese Gibson was great in bby boy, 4 Brothers, waist deep, Legion, The Take, and all the F&F movies. This was not one of his better movies. The acting felt forced and sometimes very fake. No real emotional connection between any of the other actors. Which was sad because a few of them were well known. I swear I could have done a better job just winging it. I will not recommend this one to anyone and I myself will never see it again. Not even if I had extra time one my hands. 4 is me being extremely generous!
18 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So disappointed
brushwood_darren20 June 2021
When I saw John Malkovic in this movie I expected far better. Absolute rubbish film.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poor storyline and bad action
primespeed12 June 2021
The movie was poorly developed and directed. Had some good actors but they didn't bring their A game.
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Like seriously WFT!!!!
AA-Jay13 June 2021
Same old lame action movie storyline with cringy acting and low budget action scenes.

PLZ do not waste your time!!
19 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bland drama punching above it's budget & failing miserably.
gareth-7544212 June 2021
Billed as an Action Thriller this movie lacks both in spades, it's more of a drama with implied tension.

It's one of those movies with a story/plot that requires a bigger budget & a much better director.

Tyrese Gibson was a strange & poor choice as the protagonist, his rather amateur acting ability is glaringly obvious against the likes of John Malkovich,Michael Jai White & Christopher Backus.

Too many amateur actors given far to much pointless screen time & dialogue slows the story & kills any attempt at this being a thriller, pointless unrealistic action scenes are poorly choreographed & do nothing to further the plot or story.

Handled correctly with a competent & imaginative director this could have been a decent low budget thriller, instead it becomes a training film on how not to make a movie.
19 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrible
cruise0126 October 2021
1 out of 5 stars.

Horrible and dumb. Dumb plot. Action is horrible. Acting is tedious. Script is filled with dumb characters and just flat out terrible.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rogue Hostage - an Honest Review
FixedYourEnding6 July 2021
Kyle Snowden (Fast & Furious' Tyrese Gibson) is struggling with many life challenges. As war veteran, suffering from PTSD, who is also a single parent, he is now sucked into a family / hostage situation. Can he save the day? But don't kid yourself, this is not a 'die hard' rehash. Not even close.

Obviously this is a B-grade movie. CGI and special effects on this one are laughable, at this level they should have changed the story so that they don't need to overlay explosions and fires in such a bad way. The acting is also B-grade level (including J Malkovich that seem to be doing somebody a favor and acting even worse than his usual self) but the real cardinal sin here is that the movie is boring and the script is over-chewed not to say idiotic at times.

There is really no saving grace for this movie. There are some small sparks like a couple of scenes with the kid, Manny, but those get overrun by total disgracing of the marines, PTSD patients, the social workers, politicians, police and what have you. It falls in a great shame to "Run, Hide, Fight (2020)" which also don't have any big stars in it, but at least is portraying a possible story and relatable characters in a similar environment. If you have a chance, watch that one instead, it is much less of a time waster.

I would not fault anybody with rating this 1 star, but for an honest review I would rate this 34 / 100, it's watchable but not much more than that.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wtf was that?!
academicmajor7 July 2021
Just sleep if you don't have another movie to watch.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
how to make good actors act bad?
sibilamr16 June 2021
The worst script. The worst direction. The worst performance ever. Stole me 2 hours of mi life.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very, very generic action thriller...
paul_haakonsen9 August 2021
When I sat down to watch the 2021 action thriller "Rogue Hostage", it was because the movie have John Malkovich on the cast list. Yeah, I hadn't even heard about the movie prior to getting to sit down to watch it.

I am by no account a fan of Tyrese Gibson's acting skills, so having him in the lead role here was not the main attraction for me. When I saw that the movie also had Michael Jai White on the cast list, I must admit that I found it to be looking brighter for the movie.

But let me just say right away that "Rogue Hostage" was a tedious affair of a movie. It was bland and generic, offering absolutely nothing new to the action thriller genre. And everything that took place in the storyline is something that have been done and seen before in other movies, and more often than not, also done better than it was here.

The storyline was just plainly generic and predictable. So this is essentially a movie where you just lean back, disconnect your brain and watch the screen. And trust me, once the movie comes to an end, you will forget about the entire ordeal.

"Rogue Hostage" was a swing and a miss from writer Mickey Solis and director Jon Keeyes.

I am rating "Rogue Hostage" a generous three out of ten stars.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Who wants to watch a Tyreese Gibson movie? Not me? Not you? Who is it made for only Vin Diesel knows?
kaleem_0919837 July 2021
This movie is a literal definition of "bad". The money went into producing, direction, choreographing it could have been used to donate into producing vaccines for COVID-19 - so we can actually save the world. But no! The producers were like well people are going run towards watching Tyreese Gibson - so we'll give them a stinker like this. Congratulations! You buffoons finally made a point with this. Now quarantine for the rest of your lives.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Director gone Rogue
browndaniel-3620514 June 2021
Who the hell directed and wrote this crap?

There is nothing realistic here... It appeared everything was deliberately made to favour the hostages... That's not realistic at all... The acting was the worst I have seen this year.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.