No One Gets Out Alive (2021) Poster

Unexpected Gem
Horror_Flick_Fanatic30 September 2021
This was an unexpected gem. I went into it not having seen the trailer. It's a modern day gothic horror, except it takes place in a women's only boarding house in Cleveland instead of a mansion. The boarding house has a secret that is gradually revealed. The boarding house has gatekeepers that protect and hide those secrets. It has ghosts and supernatural elements, even some brief gore. Cool things happen in the shadowy areas of the frame to get the attention of the protagonist. She gradually uncovers the secrets piece by piece.

I thought the practical effects were very well made for a film with this kind of budget. I particularly like the eyes. Very nicely done. The CGI could have been better but I was happy that the film had an eerie mystery to be uncovered and it wasn't just another dumb jumpscare film. It has some jumpscares, but it isn't a main feature of the film. It has atmosphere, pace and tension. The symbolism of the butterflies had me wondering until the very end. Then I realized what their significance were. The director landed the ending very well.

I also felt the actresses all played their roles very well, especially Cristina Rodlo. This is definitely worth a watch for gothic horror lovers. I am not saying it will be one of the best horrors of 2021 or blow your socks off, but its not too shabby. I enjoyed it. I've seen lesser horror films with significantly larger budgets and A-listers and not nearly as creepy as this one.

For a small budget film, this one did very well. Dolby Vision HDR & Dolby Atmos is a plus! I've seen some other reviewers give this film a 1 out of 10 and calling it the worse of 2021. As a horror fanatic that watches 3 to 5 horror films a week, this film is far from scrapping the bottom like they are implying. I think they need to watch more horror films to be better judges.
51 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty Well Done
feelreallove-921-84597130 September 2021
A lot of new stuff on Netflix is pretty pathetic. I love horror so figured I'd have a look. The main character has a good back story and stuff that happens along the way makes this more than a slasher film. It creates some real compassion for her. The last scenes are impressive. I tend not to listen to reviewers who have 'read the book' because they don't get that the language of film is different to that of literature (pretty much what Peter Jackson said of LOTR and look at the success of that). Horror is like comedy; it's subjective. Have a look, you might enjoy it.
22 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Genuinely creepy little movie
patherwill29 September 2021
Well, reviews are personal to all and that's why some give 1 and others 10. I thought the acting was very good especially Marc Menchaca and Cristina Rodlo. The girl Ambar, had arrived in the US w/o papers, docs or id so she WAS an illegal who wanted an opportunity to better herself. At times I felt so sorry for the girl - she was very naive and trusting, it was obvious really what the African was going to do. That rarity, NO CGI and the 'creature' seemed to be like an autotronic but I'm not sure of that. The house was just horrendously in a world apart- just like Norman Bates house was in Psycho. Certainly worth your time to see.
22 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An atmospheric little horror film
Tweekums30 September 2021
Ambar is a young Mexican woman living in Cleveland; because she has no documentation she can't get a decent job or find anywhere to live for very long. After being forced to move she finds an advert for cheap accommodation; it is a rather rundown building and Red, the manager, is a bit creepy but with little else to choose from she moves in. She is almost immediately disturbed by strange sounds and nightmares. It isn't long before she is in real danger.

I didn't know anything about this film, or the book it is based on, before going onto Netflix looking for a sub-ninety minute film to kill some time. The premise sounding interesting so I decided to give it a go. The film might not be a classic but it is solid enough. The building, along with the creepy sounds, are nicely disturbing. The film has something to say about the difficulties faced by undocumented migrants that doesn't get in the way of the story or the scares. I admit to being a little disappointed when we learn just what is in the basement; the human villains were far more disturbing than what is down there. The cast is solid; most obviously Cristina Rodlo who impresses as Ambar. Overall a decent little horror film; perhaps not a must see but still fun for fans of the genre.
39 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Atmospheric
jjnieuwoudt29 September 2021
Competent thriller/horror with folk horror overtones. Not groundbreaking in any way but nevertheless some very unique and interesting ideas. Great acting and sensational cinematography. The narrative kept the origins of the box murky which added to the mystery and suspense. The "house" was wonderfully imagined and contributed to the ambiance. A few traditional jump scares but they didn't detract from the film. All in all I thoroughly enjoyed it.
50 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as good as the novel
MikeWright7529 September 2021
If you haven't read the book, then this is a pretty good stand alone bog standard horror. It's creepy and original in parts but sadly, it captures none of the desolation and gothic pagan horror of the book.

Worst of all, the great twist at the end of the novel has been completely left out here, which is a massive let down.

If you've read the book, then you'll most likely be disappointed with this effort. Apart from the fact that it's not set in England in seedy bedsit land, with the whole seedy prostitution thing and unremitting hopelessness, but is taken to America (yawn) and pumped so full of Hollywood botox all the character and desolate horror is wiped clean out of it.

Shame. But then predictable. I'm hoping they remake it with a British production that captures all the mood and atmosphere of the novel.

If you didn't like the movie, go read the book. It's one of the best horror novels I've read.
27 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Something different!!
prashant_ppc1 October 2021
I like the twists and turns in her life. The life can be really cruel for some people. Based on my experience of horror movies, I was expecting an emotional end. But, I was glad that it ended differently.

The movie pace is a little slow but not boring.
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Living (in) it
kosmasp5 October 2021
I have to admit I did not even know this was based on a novel (as another reviewer suggests in his review). So obviously I cannot talk about how this fares against the written counterpart/source. Although I reckon it is safe to say that the novel probably is better.

That being said, if you don't have a preconceived notion of what the movie should be like ... the movie does a fairly decent job of bringing us up close and personal to our main character ... having us at the edge of our seat and keeping us invested and interested overall. There is some .. not so well done CGI towards the end ... if that really bothers you I'd understand.
15 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Meso-American Myths
Pairic2 October 2021
No One Gets Out Alive: A ramshackle old home, turned into a boarding house is one of the main stars of this film. It's corridors and dark rooms contain creaks, cries and noises, suggestions that something strange is going on. We know from the prologue that the residence is connected to an archaeological expedition to Meso-America and artifacts from the mission are stored there. Ambar (Cristina Rodlo) is an immigrant, hiding her illegal status, exploited in a sweatshop, trying to buy papers. She moves into the boarding house and encounters ghosts. A tale of terror, exploitation and human sacrifice. Some good ghostly apparitions together with poltergeist effects. This is also a story of a struggle for survival in the physical and spiritual senses, both inside and without the house. Very much influenced by Meso-American mythology. Directed by Santiago Menghini, screenplay by Jon Croker and Fernanda Coppel, based on the 2014 novel by Adam Nevill. On Netflix. 7/10.
14 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What did I just watch???
Shadowking100130 September 2021
The first two thirds of the movie was good, but the final third was terrible. There was no proper back story, so you are sitting there trying to figure out why any of this is happening. There is just a series of jumping from one scene to another. Then when the creature is revealed, it was more comedic than scary.

Finally, the ending leaves you with more questions than answers, but since you don't know what's going on anyway, you don't really care. Very forgettable movie that was already forgotten by the time I pressed the HOME button.

Amidst all this mess, the lead actress gives a very good performance.
44 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Simple, effective, creepy
Manta66630 September 2021
Really surprised by mediocre reviews. This is a simple but creepy little tale. I've watched quite a few "horrors" the last few weeks but this is the only one that actually felt creepy and not generic, churned out, filler material. Definitely more of a short story film than a novel, and I haven't read the book, but good fare for a blustery dark night.
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
7 for the premise
Raul4ever4 October 2021
Was a 6, but I upgraded to a 7 for the premise which is not the old, outdated haunted house trope.. The acting was decent and there were tense moments. Overall, worth a one time watch.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Slow burn, but pays off
leesimon-263573 October 2021
Very slow start, but the pay off in the end is worth it.

Good acting, good writing, good direction and sets overall. The soundtrack was good too.

Overall worth the watch.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pay attention
mariellealien2 October 2021
From the other reviews its blatantly obvious who paid attention and who got into the movie after getting popcorn and whatnot after everything had begun. It's a strange combination of heavyhanded and subtle, and I really enjoyed the way they portray the increasing unease.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
another forgettable netflix horror movie.....YAWN....
geeza200630 September 2021
Lets start of by saying this movie makes 0 sense what so ever, it has no scarey scenes at all and it got boring very quickly, i mean how many times can you use a theres someone behind you then she turns around and theyve gone scene in one movie it just gets annoying after a while. Dont get me wrong its not the worst horror ive seen but its far from the best. There is a few pluses to the movie and thats the lead actress does a good job and the atmosphere they set was also good, but thats about it really.

Ok so if youve got nothing else to watch and nothing much to do then just give it ago, just dont expect to be blown away by this movie especially if your a big horror fan.

So besides the atmosphere set and the lead actress theres nothing, which is why its just another forgettable netflix horror movie, and why i give it a rating of 4.
36 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting atmospheric film
jmbovan-47-1601731 October 2021
You won't know exactly what is happening at the beginning of thr film except things seem off and all the warning lights are flashing. At the end if the film, you still won't have a clear picture but more a felt sense of what is happening. And that is creepy. Well acted by the lead actress, and production and direction are well executed. Ultimately, the film loses just a bit without a clearer understanding of what is happening, but at the same time, sometimes an answer doesn't help things. Personal choice on how the ending is for you.
14 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Strange, Scary and Mindblowing
pbstarman1 October 2021
This is a very unusual movie. One I wish I hadn't watched because it blew my mind in a horrifying way. The cinematography is superb!! Acting is good overall. Special effects were incredible. This movie is a nightmare and I feel brings a new level to the horror genre. I love it for the fact that it was so weird and freaky and so horrifying I wished I hadn't watched it because I didn't want to have nightmares!!!
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well made satisfying horror
rjknight00730 September 2021
The likeable lead actress nails her role and carries the audience with her through this spooky gore fest.
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty good!
nong_moo_wan2 October 2021
I thought it was a pretty good film! My mom hated it though. I guess it's one of those movies that you either love or hate.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Original storyline
samwillis-8665830 September 2021
I watch mainly horror movies and love them. I don't scare easily. That includes this movie.

But, with great acting, storyline and cinematography it's a really good film.

The storyline was much more original. It was a little slow in the beginning. But, that's where you learn the characters. After that you have some paranormal stuff then there's a little twist at the end.

I loved the dark and gloom throughout this film. The house was almost a character as well.

Also, the film is listed as in English. It mostly is. But, there are a few parts with Spanish only. I don't know much Spanish but I didn't have any trouble figuring out what was said.

Go see this film.
13 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Typical
parkerama29 September 2021
Wasn't Bad but Wasn't Great Neither... There was the basic story line with spirits present but not scary.

I wish there was more juice to the story If you're looking for a movie that will scare you... This is not it unfortunately.
13 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Original creature feature
duncanbrockwell-5551129 September 2021
Really enjoyed this movie. Atmospheric, eery and full of doom you know is coming. Great cast of characters, portrayed with great care by the actors. Even the special effects were good for a low budget film. The creature wasn't amazing, but intrigued me. Would definitely recommend. 👍👍👍
14 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A bore, uninteresting and an Absolute waste of time.
Ara-Akira29 September 2021
Uninteresting characters, story that dragged on forever, not very engaging and definitely nowhere near scary or thrilling like other reviewers say.

The final reveal was definitely something new, but doesn't warrant a rating more than 4/10.

The 01:30 hr runtime makes me wish the movie was 01:30 mins.

Avoidable.
36 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dark, mysterious & violent...
Brotherswan29 September 2021
It's a mixture of things this film. It has a dark atmospheric feel, with mysterious parts and good horror components. It also takes things to the extreme with an imaginative and ritualistic finale.

If you like creepy, moody with weirdness then give it a whirl. I was surprised at the low rating, and it's a shame when something we enjoy gets panned; but we all know by now that we have to judge for ourselves. Some of you will love it for sure.
12 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting little gem!
natashialw14 October 2021
Glad this stumbled across my Netflix feed, the title alone sold me and glad I watched it, very interesting little cult horror find, wish there was more background story to it but def worth a watch!
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.