Kung Fu Panda 2 (2011) Poster

An emphatic return with a darker story; great movie with lots in it for the adults as well
MosHr25 May 2011
The question that has been floating around about Kung Fu Panda 2 is if it is Shrek 2 or Toy Story 2 of animated sequels? Well, I'm happy to say it's Toy Story 2 kind of animated sequel - a genuine good movie that takes risks and succeeds rather than rehashing the first movie.

Po isn't as much of a gastro-kung-fu fighter and fanboi from the first movie but has grown in his personality; he's less the Jack Black as a panda and more of a character that stands on it's own. However, Po is now the tragic hero in a Greek style prophecy which foretells of a warrior in black and white who would defeat a certain Lord Shen who has invented a new weapon that could spell the end of kung-fu. As Po learns that he is adopted, he struggles to find out about his past and the strange symbol from his nightmares. The heavy subject matter doesn't weight down the movie and is continually and cleverly able to escape into funny moments without losing gravitas. It successfully weaves the topics of fatherhood, friendship and family into a colorful story that even though we know how it will end, it gets there very very emphatically.

I'm really glad that Kung Fu Panda 2 didn't go the route of being a purely children's movie and didn't go the route of being built on jokes of Po's eating and Po's weight. I suppose the fortune cookie philosophy of master Shifu is slightly missed but purely a small quibble in a good movie. As a final note, maybe it's because of my eyesight with a weaker left eye, I barely noticed the 3D at all. Highly recommended movie.
100 out of 135 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Furry, Ferocious, and Fun!
rgkarim27 May 2011
Furry, Ferocious and Fun!

This Memorial Day weekend I watched Kung Fu Panda 2, the sequel to the action packed comedy starring Po (Jack Black) and the fearsome five. The first movie was a fun kids movie that had a lot of catchy one liner phrases, a few kick butt actions scenes, a lot of situational comedy, and a story that was about working hard and finding your inner strength. Now three years later, the fellows at Dreamworks have presented a sequel to this animal centered comedy, which follows after the two duds we saw in Shrek the Third and Shrek Forever After. Is this sequel following the same path that the last Shrek films took, or does it shine on its own? My answer to this question is that it does indeed shine on its own.

The story starts out with a background story about the villain Shen (Gary Oldman) and his lust for power to rule over China, eliminating any forces that try to stand in his way. Not long after the introduction, Po and the gang come back into the picture before Po is called to Master Shifu (Dustin Hoffman) to learn about finding inner peace. However, the peaceful air is soon disturbed by a pack of wolf soldiers and an action fight sequence soon starts that puts most action movies to shame. As the wolves retreat Po, along with the fearsome five, set out to defeat Shen and find inner peace.

Over the course of the journey, Po provides that classic comedy that made him famous in the first film as he uses phrases like awesome, so hardcore, and freaking in providing that awkward and childish enthusiasm that makes him stand out. His enthusiasm is still balanced out by his lack of stamina and large girth comedy which is cleverly integrated into both combat and non combat scenes. Clumsiness also plays a role in Po's ability to make us laugh, as what starts out as the stylish moves of a kung fu master quickly turns into a blundering mistake that somehow seems to work for Po. All of these aspects are brought together by Jack Black's voice work as he finds a way to bring a juvenile tone to the comedy, while still sounding wise and honorable during the serious scenes.

Perhaps one of the strongest aspects about this movie is the balance of story, action, and detail. The story, or should I say stories, are detailed enough to provide character development that older audiences will like, but at the same time is catchy, simple, and fun enough to allow younger audience members to get a gist of what's going on. The integration of action and chase scenes keeps the pace of the movie going while also keeping the attention of the audience glued to the screen, a plus for those that have a hard time sitting through a movie.

What really brings all of these strengths together though is the camera and musical works that add that finishing touch to the movie. The camera work is smooth and not really jumpy and allows one to see what's going in almost every scene. An exception to this style occurs in some of the fighting seen at the end, but it's not too bad so most should be able to slide ignore it. While the camera's capture the action, the music that plays during every scene has been selected to bring out the emotions of the scene and make you feel it deep in your heart. Whether it be fast flying punches, sad flashbacks, or the findings of inner peace and the acceptance of the past the music catches all of these emotions in a brilliant combination of strings, percussions, and other orchestra instruments to make you feel like you are in the movie.

Although this movie has a lot, and I mean a lot of good aspects, there are still some weaknesses that one may find. The comedic styles of Po can get a little stale at times, especially hearing the word hard core about ten times. A second thing is that Po pulls off a little too much Yoda at some points in the movie, I won't say too much more to avoid ruining the movie. Perhaps a third thing one might not like is how long it takes to finish off the final battle. Although the movie is only an hour and half long, some might find the final battle dragged out a little too long and want it to just end, this was not a problem for me however.

Overall Kung Fu Panda 2 is a sequel that is a must see, especially for kids and fans of the series. Even if you haven't seen the first one yet, which was the case with my cousin, one will be able to find some part of this movie to enjoy. Laughs, actions, drama, story, and heartfelt emotions are all in this movie and the wide appeal to many audiences makes this a great movie for a youth group or friend outing. Thus my Robbie Rating for this movie is 9.8-10.0. I hope that you enjoy this movie as much I did. Recommended audience members: Kids, Dreamworks fans, Kung Fu Panda lovers, action lovers, comedy lovers, etc. People who should avoid this movie: Horror fans and fans looking for a movie with blood, because it doesn't have any of it.
64 out of 90 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Too Awesome
TourettesPersonal26 May 2011
My biggest fear about sequels is it's gonna end up pretty bad and ruin the first one. But I remember, Dreamworks already understand how to make a true good animated movie so I don't have to worry. Now the sequel just got more awesome. Non-stop action and non-stop laughs. The heart is also there. "Kung Fu Panda 2" is just as good as the first one.

The trailer makes us dubious but this is Dreamworks. Anyways, "Kung Fu Panda 2" is a great continuation of the series. The story still has a heart and some scenes can almost move you to tears. The movie has bigger and more Kung Fu action & yes, the action never stops. It's all kick butt action.

I like it how they improved the editing. Remember Megamind, It feels like you were flying in every flying sequences. They did the same thing in "Kung Fu Panda 2". Fast Moving Action that it's fun to see it even if it's in 2D. I don't really bash 3D though. The jokes are obviously everywhere. Even in serious scenes it suddenly has humor.

The new comers from the cast did a great job. Gary Oldman is definitely good at being a villain in movies even if it's animated. Michelle Yeoh made her character likable. Jean-Claude Van Damme is awesome even though his scenes were few. This movie still has the same style from the first movie. Magnificent flash animation in the intro, flashbacks, and the dream sequence. Nice music score. And a lot more.

I just said this movie is as good as the first movie but if I had to pick which Kung Fu Panda movie is better then it would be the first one. It's more heartwarming but Kung Fu Panda 2 is already good enough as a sequel because it's bigger and too awesome. Unfortunately, It's too awesome it moderates the depth a little bit but it's entertaining at its best. To be honest, this could be the best movie of the summer so far.
56 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Po's Fist Hungers for Justice, I Hunger for More Po
Prince AJB24 June 2011
"Kungfu Panda 2" is an excellent sequel to an excellent preceding film and a truly fun film to experience with your family and friends. It is as enjoyable as watching through the first time, maybe even better. Here, the elements from the first film are improved and crafted for this sequel to create a wonderful, stunning, and memorable adventure that will surely entertain all its audiences and leave them hungry for more Po.

The plot of this movie is much more enveloping than that of the first film. Po, now the Dragon Warrior is a hero protecting the citizens of China with his fellow friends, the Furious Five, as well as his master, Master Shifu. But then, a threat endangers all of China as well and threatens the existence of Kungfu. This threat is organized by the peacock, Lord Shen, who is after the destruction of China, and the extinction of Kungfu. Now Po, the Kungfu Panda, with the Furious Five, are determined to stop Lord Shen from destroying China and the existence of Kungfu, despite that Lord Shen has designed a very powerful weapon (something like a catapult). But doing so takes Po into learning the truth about the past, about who his parents are, and about who he is.

"Panda 2" is also the first "Panda" film to be shown in 3D, which wasn't quite bad. Depth was practically conspicuous throughout the film and is certainly not a bad choice in how to enjoy this film. "Kungfu Panda 2" is definitely a film worth watching in 3D.

With a more threatening premise, and the addition of 3D, "Panda 2" also improves on the action scenes. The fighting scenes were very entertaining and should keep kids and adults hooked.

The animation movements and CGI in "Kungfu Panda 2" are also excellent and awesome. The backgrounds, and the setting are all very detailed and the complex movements of the characters are simply perfect. Bravo!

Another element welcome to the "Panda" movies is romance. In this movie, Po will start to have a relationship with another creature (No, I won't tell who he had it with). Speaking of relationships, the movie will also get emotional as Po begins to discover the truth about his past.

Humor plays an essential role in this film and will leave you laughing in your seats. I think the jokes here can give you more laughs than the jokes from the first film. "Kungfu Panda 2" will definitely keep you laugh your head off.

Apart from all these, I was also amazed in how they could use a peacock as a skilled martial arts creature. At first, I thought, how could they use a peacock, full of feathers, as a martial arts villain. Then "Kungfu Panda 2" revealed it all and I was stunned by their work in crafting a feathery bird, into a dangerous, and ruthless villain.

In terms of recommendation, I would recommend this movie to all ages. The humor will appeal to little children, as well as older audiences alike, and the fighting scenes will appeal to teenagers, or and older audience. 3D is definitely worth it for experiencing this film.

After analyzing the box office performance of "Kungfu Panda 2", I feel pitiful for the movie, especially when Dreamworks have crafted a wonderful and amazing film for audiences to enjoy. I do hope that the box office performance of the film rebounds and becomes a great hit in the box office world. I also do hope that this movie will be successful enough for the sake of "Panda 3".

So yes. Po's fist hungers for justice. But I hunger for more Po!

Prince AJB's Rating: 10/10 (Excellent)

Thank you for reading my review on "Kungfu Panda 2". I hope my review is useful for you.
39 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Packs twice the punch, in every way!
Stephen Cook22 May 2011
Let me preface by saying I was rather unimpressed with the first Kung Fu Panda. As entertaining and well-choreographed as it was, it didn't pass my bar for mediocre DreamWorks animated movies. It was amusing and had some heart, but all-in-all was pretty expected. Now when I got a chance to see a preview of Kung Fu Panda 2, I was rather indifferent to seeing DreamWorks trying to pump out a mediocre sequel and a new franchise. But WOW... was I wrong! I take back everything I said earlier because, man oh man, I have to admit that Kung Fu Panda 2 was one of the best animated films I have ever seen.

In in this installment, we find Po and the Furious Five defending the Valley of Peace from evil when a new threat rises. Lord Shen, an albino peacock banished by his parents many years ago, has returned with a technology capable of ending kung fu and conquering China. As the Furious Five embark to destroy the weapon, Po begins to realize that Shen may be linked to his lost childhood past as a panda bear. I won't say any more in fear of spoiling the story, but be prepared for a powerful emotional experience.

I found a big improvement was that they toned down all the things that made the first movie irritating: over-the-top Jack Black antics, overused slow-mo effects, and dialogue silliness. That's not to say Kung Fu Panda 2 doesn't have humor; actually, it has exactly the right amount at the right time. I found myself rolling my eyes a lot at the jokes in the first movie, but the sequel had me (and the whole theater, for that matter) genuinely laughing! The characters have fully matured and been fleshed out to the point where even Jack Black fits comfortably as Po, though regrettably the Furious Five barely get any screen time. Of course, shining in the spotlight was Gary Oldman as the sinister Lord Shen, whose fantastically evil voice acting tops even Ian McShane's as Tai Lung and is the ONLY way that a peacock could possibly be made scary! The 3D was also showcased quite well, enhancing most of the visuals throughout the movie without being a headache.

Maybe you call it blasphemy, but the comparison must be made. Kung Fu Panda 2 was put together with such a degree of excellence that it rivals many Pixar movies (and in my opinion has a good chance of outshining Cars 2 this year). With some fantastic animation, a surprising and touching story, and convincing voice talent, Kung Fu Panda 2 will easily go down as one of my all-time animated favorites.

90 out of 139 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A spectacular sequel
chrismsawin26 May 2011
The original Kung Fu Panda is one of the only Dreamworks Animation films that actually holds its own in comparison to Pixar films. It managed to capture the look and feel of the classics old and new that martial arts film enthusiasts such as myself admire so much while also offering humor that was actually funny, fantastic animation, and just an incredibly entertaining film overall. It turned out to not only be one of the more enjoyable animated films of 2008, but one of the best films of that year period. So, here we are, three years later with Kung Fu Panda 2 resting on the horizon of its release that actually feels just as strong as the original without all of the endless shortcomings most would expect to plague a sequel.

When it comes to animated films, one of the most important ingredients is the cast. The voice cast can make or break an animated feature. A talented one can make it even better while a weaker one can result in it hurting the overall enjoyment of the film. Fortunately, the cast for Kung Fu Panda 2 is pretty spot on. The entire main cast (Jack Black, Angelina Jolie, Jackie Chan, Seth Rogen, David Cross, Lucy Liu, Dustin Hoffman, James Hong) returns from the first film and while it would be nice to see some of them have meatier roles and/or more lines (Jackie Chan and David Cross for starters), just having them return is fantastic. Casting changes between sequels are never really great. They can be pleasantly surprising, but it never feels the same. So it's great to see the entire ensemble back in full form. My personal favorite from the original cast is James Hong as Mr. Ping. The Asian American actor is perhaps best known as the villain in Big Trouble in Little China and was also Hannibal Chew in Blade Runner, but hearing that actor voice a goose who runs a restaurant and is so attached to his kung fu panda/China saving son is awesome in itself. Mr. Ping is an emotional wreck with Po putting himself in danger so often and Hong just makes his heartfelt performance stand out above the rest.

Newcomers such as Dennis Haysbert (Heat, "24") and Michelle Yeoh (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Sunshine) were fun additions. Yeoh voices The Soothsayer, who has a few humorous moments with Lord Shen, but realizing that Jean Claude Van Damme voiced Master Croc gave a little more weight to the throwbacks to well-known martial arts films. That influence is definitely there in the Kung Fu Panda films and both of them use that influence as a crutch in the best of ways, but having talent like Van Damme, Jackie Chan, and Michelle Yeoh participate make it all feel a little more genuine. It'd be like bringing in Chuck Norris, Jet Li, Donnie Yen, or Sammo Hung. The cast in this is just as much a drawing factor in this as it is in something like The Expendables. It makes that homage mean so much more.

Gary Oldman practically steals every scene that he's in though. He brings that intensity and dark lunacy associated with his roles in Leon and The Fifth Element to the Lord Shen role; those same traits that made fans love his talent in the first place. He fits the role of an evil albino peacock rather well.

The animation is really the film's Tour de force. Every movement flows naturally and everything is so crisp and smooth. Fight scenes are so fast yet easy to digest. Animals talking, portraying human emotion, their hair folding in the wind all look natural. But the art direction of the film is something special. It was already fantastic in the first film, but they really bulked it up for the sequel. It's slightly reminiscent of "Samurai Jack" yet more awesome; more engrossing. It captures the feel of Chinese martial arts perfectly and the use of traditional animation during Po's flashbacks was an extremely welcome addition; having Guillermo Del Toro as the creative consultant on the film surely helped in their benefit.

Kung Fu Panda 2 is beautifully animated, exceptionally cast, laugh out loud funny, and nearly upstages the original at every turn. While certain things in the film like the "inner peace" bit are slightly predictable, it doesn't take away from the overall enjoyment of a sequel that capitalizes and improves on its predecessor rather than feeling like a watered down version of it.
51 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Worth the wait!
StrongRex26 May 2011
I loved the first Kung Fu Panda movie. It had everything: amazing story, great characters, not to mention great humor. In fact, I consider it to be the best DreamWorks movie since Shrek. Considering DreamWorks' almost flawless track record with sequels, I couldn't wait to see Kung Fu Panda 2.

I went to see the midnight premiere, and boy was I not disappointed! Everything about this film blew me away. Just like Shrek 2, this was everything a sequel should be. This was a well-written, excellent continuation of the series. It had everything the first film had and more. One of the things I really liked was seeing Po and Tigress become close friends, whereas in the first film she couldn't stand to be around him. With that said, her character was nicely developed; I would have liked to see more of that in the rest of the Five.

Overall, this film was excellent. I can't wait to see it again; I hear there may be plans for a third movie. As long as they keep doing what works in their films, and don't do what they did for Shrek the Third, I'm sure DreamWorks will not disappoint me. 10/10
77 out of 119 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Nutshell Review: Kung Fu Panda 2
DICK STEEL26 May 2011
Who would have expected Kung Fu Panda to become a surprising, heartwarming summer hit back in 2008, where I thought it had captured the very essence of a typical martial arts film, and distilled it into an animated piece appealing both to kids and adults alike. The big risk involved is of course coming up with the inevitable follow up film given the profits that it had raked in, that won't be an insult to its fans, and yet maintaining that same level of appeal the original had. Kung Fu Panda 2 succeeded.

Although it certainly did seem that passing the reins over to rookie director Jennifer Yuh was bewildering, but Yuh turned out to be perfect in guiding the sequel and the beloved characters in yet another adventure, with bigger set action pieces, touching dramatic moments, and retaining plenty of humour from the get go. Credit of course must go to writers Jonathan Aibel and Glenn Berger in coming up with a natural progression of the story of Po (Jack Black), and filling it with a lot more elements from classic martial arts film formulas such as a jail break involving skilled pugilists in captivity, a pagoda, getting beat down, recovery and recuperation, and the learning of a new, ultimate skill. To think that the worries came from the scribes being responsible for the snooze-fest Monsters Vs Aliens, and Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel.

Kung Fu Panda 2 brings back the A-list voices of Black as Po the Panda, now very much comfortable in his celebrity role of the prophesied Dragon Warrior, and the Furious Five consisting of Angelina Jolie as the no-nonsense, hard hitting Tigress, Seth Rogen as the wisecracking Mantis, David Cross as Crane, Lucy Liu as Viper and the underused Jackie Chan as Monkey, recognizable animals used in distinctive martial arts boxing styles. Also returning are Dustin Hoffman as Master Shifu and James Hong as Mr Ping, while joining the fray are Gary Oldman as the chief villain Lord Shen the vain peacock, Michelle Yeoh as The Soothsayer, Jean-Claude Van Damme as Master Croc, Dennis Haysbert as Master Oxen and Victor garber as Master Thundering Rhino, the latter three forming some formidable masters of kung fu whose city they're protecting falls under siege.

The story continues to loosely adopt from historical developments in China, with the premise being set during the time when gunpowder was discovered and fireworks created, but with the more sinister use of the material also for the creation of weapons such as the cannon, threatening the extinction of martial arts with its formidable firepower. Lord Shen becomes fanatical in plundering metal from the land with the ambition to rule all of China, but for his Soothsayer to predict his downfall to come from something black and white, hence his dogged massacre of pandas with his wolf pack goons, before setting his sights on and signaling his diabolical intent on some legendary martial arts masters.

It's pretty amazing how this under 90 minute film also managed to squeeze in plenty of pathos in the form of Po having to unlock his repressed memory of being necessarily abandoned by his parents following a pattern ala Moses with the pandas being threatened with forced extinction, which provides tons of baby panda to milk some scheming, crafty moments to tug at your heartstrings, and you can hear that audible gasps of "oh so cute"s from female members of the audiences. Well done, if the studio decides to make money from merchandising. Narratively it's pretty predictable following the generic essence of typical kung fu film classics, what with the learning of inner peace and new skills involved that resembled very much like Taichi-quan, but what mattered of course is the delivery that hit expectations, and not buckle under that same weight brought over from a successful first film.

Then of course there's the spectacular fight sequences, especially when Po and the Fearsome Five combine to protect the innocent masses against hordes of enemies that come with the requisite comedy, from slapstick to lyrical, like poetry in motion when they showcase their respective, distinctive moves. Big action set pieces are well designed, and I give my thumbs up to how the villain is modelled after the peacock, which in itself brings about the theme of vanity that almost all villains possess, but in the context of kung fu, it's extremely smart to design Lord Shen to move and utilize his own innate weaponry, that of sneaky darts and fans - a weapon that in Chinese martial arts film, is the weapon of choice of the "wei jun zi" - the "fake gentleman" (sorry if my interpretation sucks, but you get my drift).

No qualms about this installment, I would put it in my highly recommended list as a sequel that didn't forget about the spirit of the original, and if the filmmakers can continue to capture exactly what makes martial arts movies tick and distill it like it did for the first two films, I dare say we're in for a mighty strong franchise that will appeal to kids, and every kung fu film fan out there who will probably go nuts at how well this animated series managed to get the formula right.
55 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Power of Awesomeness
alxfdrmn24 May 2011
In a summer packed with superheroes, pirates, and aliens, I wouldn't have guessed that my favorite movie so far would involve animals doing martial arts. Kung Fu Panda 2 was extremely impressive.

The Po (Jack Black) of the first Kung Fu Panda is still the same goofy panda with a strong spirit and unique karate moves, but in this movie he faces unanswered questions about his past. While the first movie was more of an origin story, the sequel shows his quest to find out where he came from, a gap that he needs to fill in order to become at peace with himself. If you wondered how a panda could be the son of a goose, your questions will be answered, and Po's backstory is much more emotionally developed than you might think.

Po also has to confront the villainous Lord Shen (Gary Oldman), an albino peacock. Tai Lung (Ian McShane) in the first movie relied more on brute force, but Shen is much crazier and unpredictable. In typical supervillain fashion, he plans to take over China and destroy Kung Fu forever (yes, Kung Fu is treated pretty lightly in these movies, but there's enough philosophy involved, and it is a kid's movie). Though Tai Lung held a personal grudge against Master Shifu (Dustin Hoffman) in the first movie, Shen is a more fitting antagonist for Po because of a strong connection to Po's past.

And of course the colorful supporting cast is back too. The Furious Five are all well-designed characters, and although they don't have much speaking time, they all have their moments to shine (especially Angelina Jolie as Tigress and Seth Rogen as Mantis). Though Jackie Chan barely had any lines. The new characters all help to expand the world of the movie.

Though the first movie had a lot of juvenile humor, Kung Fu Panda 2 had a lot less fat jokes and a lot more slapstick. Despite the marketing, Po only says "Skadoosh" once, and it's actually pretty cool. The movie is darker overall, but that only serves to increase the epic tone. Shen is played by Gary Oldman, and though I didn't realize that until the credits, it makes a lot of sense. The villainous peacock is very similar to other self-obsessed, off-the- hinge villains Oldman has played in movies like León and True Romance. But however dark the movie gets, it's always a lot of fun. Jack Black isn't as annoying as he can be sometimes because Po just seems like the kind of character he's meant to play.

The animation in Kung Fu Panda 2 is extremely well done. It's incredibly cool to see the group fight as a team, and the character animation is expressive in both emotional and action scenes. The cinematography embraces a wide variety of techniques, from slow motion to first person chase scenes, and several sequences use 2D animation to great effect. The set pieces are action-packed, and entertaining. After one scene, I thought the movie was going to end soon just because of how big it was, but the real finale topped even that. And the landscapes and backgrounds are beautiful to look at, artfully designed but still realistic.

I saw this movie in 3D, and for the first time, I definitely recommend it. I haven't had many good experiences with live action 3D, but animation is much better suited for it. Kung Fu Panda 2 is a thrill ride, and the 3D was crisp and well done.

I have to give props to Hans Zimmer. After Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides was a bit of a letdown, the soundtrack to Kung Fu Panda 2 is quite awesome, adding to the already epic tone.

I honestly can't think of much that I can criticize about this movie. Po's "this is awesome" comments get a bit repetitive, and some scenes with Shen are a bit long. There's a plot point where the group and Po have an argument that kind of doesn't make sense. Otherwise, this movie was really entertaining, both as an action movie and a (admittedly aimed towards kids) comedy, with a strong heart in the center.

If Cars 2 doesn't completely blow everyone away, Kung Fu Panda 2 definitely has a rightful chance at winning Best Animated Feature (which my brother jokingly called "The Pixar Award") this year. It's interesting to see animation take on different genres, and if you took out all the animals, this movie could definitely stand on its own as a kung fu epic. Dreamworks really stepped up its game, and I would gladly pay to see Kung Fu Panda 2 (maybe even in 3D).
45 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Simply Awesomeness!!!
bprashanth_gi26 May 2011
This installment of Kung Fu Panda exceeded my expectations in all respects.

Animation is superb, characters greatly orchestrated, voice-acting is top-notch, fights are well choreographed and there is enough humor to make you feel that you have regained your childhood back!!! With ingenious methods, the actions scenes are executed. And in many parts where you would normally expect a punch line or superb dialogue, there will be an excellent goof-up which seems to tickle you just enough!! Kudos to the dialogues and screenplay.

The only negative (and that too a little one) is the storyline. I really expected something other than the plain old story of discovery and revenge.

But all-in-all, Kung Fu Panda 2 is one of the best animation movies ever made and I can safely say that this will be the best movie this summer!!!
60 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A mediocre but not bad sequel
Argemaluco13 June 2011
I found Kung Fu Panda to be a very entertaining animated comedy which simultaneously worked as a sincere tribute and gentle parody of the "kung fu" cinema from the '70s. The story was not totally original (rookie who defeats his insecurities in order to become into the master), but on the other hand, there were enough positive elements, specially the funny interaction between the main character and his master. Besides, the animation moved a bit away from the boring "DreamWorks standard" in order to amalgamate a semi-3D anime with the ethereal Asian traditional art, achieving a refreshing and innovative aesthetic. Would it be possible for a sequel to reach the level obtained in that film? The executives from DreamWorks thought so, but I do not, because Kung Fu Panda 2, despite being moderately entertaining, feels mediocre and not nearly at the same level of the original film.

Unfortunately, Kung Fu Panda 2 could not preserve the humor nor the funny dynamic between the main character and his classmates. There is pretty much action and fights which attempt to be cool, but it rarely made me laugh. At least we have the impressive animation and art design, which are both even richer in colour, shapes and atmospheres and more polished than in the first movie. And I also admired the fire and particles effects.

The voice cast from this movie includes various famous actors (Jack Black, Dustin Hoffman, Michelle Yeoh, Angelina Jolie, Gary Oldman, Jackie Chan, Lucy Liu and Jean Claude Van-Damme), but their work lacks of any personality or passion. I guess that that is the price of recording the celebrities' dialogs with too much anticipation and completely out of context. On the positive side, I liked Hans Zimmer's music and Jennifer Yuh's direction, which exploits the incorporeal imaginary camera in order to create elaborated sequences without sacrificing any clarity during the whirlwind of fights, effects and stunts.

In conclusion, I did not dislike Kung Fu Panda 2, but it did not leave me very satisfied either because of the narrative aspect. The story is not very compelling, there are various humor moments which fail and only the ending gets a fraction of the emotionality and suspense achieved in the first film. Nevertheless, I think it deserves a slight recommendation because of the animation and because it kept me moderately entertained.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Decent Sequel
estebangonzalez1020 October 2011
¨ My fist hungers for justice! ¨

Po has returned to save China once again in Kung Fu Panda 2; with the same writers (Jonathan Aibel and Glenn Berger), but a different director (Jennifer Yuh). Many consider that the original Kung Fu Panda is DreamWorks's best animated film to date; in my opinion their best one is How to Train Your Dragon, but Kung Fu Panda was still a great movie. I had my concerns with the sequel because I knew it was going to be hard to meet expectations. Cars 2 failed in this respect for Pixar, but Kung Fu Panda 2 worked a little better. This film isn't nearly as good as the 2008 original, but for a sequel it works really well; it probably won't win an Oscar (Rango seems to have it pretty much locked up this year, although I didn't like it), but it is still very entertaining and the entire family will have a good time with this movie. The best thing about the film is the animation. Guillermo del Toro was brought in as the creative consultant for the Art Department and it really paid off because the look of the film is impressive and so are the visuals. The story is actually the weakest link, but it works mostly thanks to the characters we grew to love in the first film. There is also an interesting villain, voiced by Gary Oldman, so that was also a plus, but the story was really predictable. After the first 15 minutes you knew exactly what was going to happen at the end. Jean-Claude Van Damme also has a small role as the Master Croc, and it was fun to hear him.

Po (Jack Black) is living in the temple with the five kung fu warriors he has always idolized since he was little: Tigress (Angelina Jolie), Monkey (Jackie Chan), Mantis (Seth Rogen), Viper (Lucy Liu), and Crane (David Cross). They seem to be training very hard as we hear Po breathing very heavily, but they are actually all staring at how many breads Po can fit into his mouth. Master Shifu (Dustin Hoffman) calls for Po and tries to teach him about finding inner peace. Po is more of an action kind of Panda and is waiting to show off his kung fu skills as the Dragon Warrior (title which he achieved in the first film). His opportunity comes when the Village where his father Mr. Ping (James Hong) lives is attacked by a group of wolves who are stealing all the metal from the village. The wolves are gathering metal in order to create a secret weapon that will put an end to Kung Fu. They all work for the evil White Peacock named Shen (Gary Oldman) who is threatening to conquer China with this new powerful weapon. There is something about Shen that bothers Po and reminds him of his forgotten past. Po begins to have flashbacks about his childhood and discovers that Mr. Ping is not his actual father. Along with his friends, Po begins a quest to stop Shen before it's too late, and at the same time discover the truth about his past.

Kung Fu Panda 2 is not as fresh and fun as the first film, but it still was a lot of fun. Po is really a fun character and one can't help but be reminded of Jack Black when watching Po trying to do his kung-fu stunts. Po is not only voiced by Jack Black, but he seems to be inspired by that character. In the same way there is a scene where we see Master Croc (voiced by Van Damme) do one of his singular moves from his action films. Jack Black is an incredibly funny actor and we find some of that comedy in Po's animation. Gary Oldman also brought a lot of things to his new character, and he is always great at playing the villain. Kung Fu Panda 2 might not be as good as the original, but that doesn't mean you won't have fun with this family friendly film. My only complaint relies in the story, but the animation and visuals make up for it. Kung Fu Panda is a fun film you can enjoy with the family, but not much more than that.

3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Panda and Kung fu China Anthropomorphism
saish74612 June 2011
Panda and Kung fu China Anthropomorphism Anthropomorphism at its best.

This computer-animated action comedy film from the studio DreamWorks Animation is one movie on the likes of its other production, Shrek. Director Jennifer Yuh Nelson, is also the first woman to solely direct an animated feature from a major Hollywood studio. And the impression of a women is clearly seen. The Panda is made lovable like a kid with innocence splattered all over. The screenplay is wonderful and gives some genuine laughter. The lines are small but witty and full of Humor. The animation lacks details like that of Ratatouille but in some scene where The Guru Red Panda is introduced with Inner Peace Practice is shown with extreme details and gives a good feeling. However The 3D version, like always, lacks depth of field and details. The blurred vision is extremely lively only in few scenes. The frame with Apples blurting out of Panda's big mouth is a true Roller-coaster.

The story is about revenge and is unimpressive. The animation was the savior with the rightful dubbing and voice-acting. The voice of Jack Black along with Dustin Hoffman, Jackie Chan, Angelina Jolie, Ian McShane, Seth Rogen, Lucy Liu was perfectly scored and synchronized. Especially Jack Black timing were good. Ancient China was shown beautifully , but the selection of animals for Anthropomorphism was dubious. There was a peacock ruling Chinese lands and no use of Dogs and Ox. Other Animals from Chinese philosophy like Goose, Rabbit, Dragon and pigs were wise-fully used. The Mantis was shown powerful was another story untold. The use of explosives to cease Kung-fu was really childish. The enemy was not shown with equal Powers and therefore this one sided flick. The use of digital puppetry shows china in good light and keeping its tradition flawless. The Movie is good and watchable with all age, there is no explicit dialogs except a pinch of digital violence. Panda is lovable and cute and cuddly and tender.
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Nice CGI, but otherwise rather unnecessary.
MartinHafer17 July 2012
I loved the movie "Kung Fu Panda" and gave it a well-earned 9. However, "Kung Fu Panda 2" is like MOST CGI movies these days--an unnecessary sequel that was simply an excuse to bleed just a bit out of the original source material. Frankly, the plethora of sequels just seems very lazy and cynical towards the audience. Sure..."Kung Fu Panda 2" is pretty good, but 'pretty good' is a far cry from the original. I sure would love to see an end to this awful practice.

The story once again finds out hero panda filled with uncertainty (though he sure APPEARED to have come into his own in the last film!). This is a problem since an all-new baddie with cannons is on his way (Gary Oldman)--and kung fu doesn't seem to be effective against this super-weapon. However, since this is formula, you know that by the end of the film all will be well once again. However, in the meantime, be prepared for a movie that is almost non-stop action and with a very dark tone--very dark. In fact, it's so dark that the filmmakers seemed to have forgotten one important thing--to make it fun. Overall, watchable and with incredible graphics--but it sure was a lot better in the first installment. I've heard they are making a "Kung Fu Panda 3"...whoopee.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A very pleasant surprise!
Casey Dillard29 February 2012
Having seen and enjoyed (if not been bowled over by) the original, I was surprised and delighted by this movie that seems to prove that Dreamworks, while still not quite on a Pixar level (Yet!) could soon catch them up. It handles much more sensitive material than the first movie and tackles some truly dark and heavy subject material, but manages to keep it from becoming a drama by dropping in comedic material in a manner that is never jarring, out of place, or desperate. Lord Shen made for one of the most delightful villains of recent movie history. His push against the future contrasting with Po's struggle with the past was wonderful to watch. Po's talks with his father brought a tear to my eye in more than one moment in the film. This company and production team have firmly established themselves as formidable storytellers and I'm eager to see what's next.
Full of of "Awesomeness"
julian-mumford24 September 2011
Kung Fu Panda was huge in every sense, $631 million at the worldwide box office and an indelible character amply voiced by Jack Black. This is a voice role that may come to define his career, even though he does not actually appear in a single frame.

Understandably Dreamworks Studios would be failing shareholders not to expand the franchise further and we now have the second film, in what almost certainly will become a trilogy.

Does the film suffer from mid trilogy bloat and irrelevance, well actually no. Everything is subjective but this is the equal or may even surpass in some ways, the original film.

Po Ping or Dragon warrior (Black) managed through his daring deeds and hopeless optimism to save "Kung Fu" in the first film, here he has a much harder task. Finding himself, reconciling his own adoption and achieving "inner peace" all the while fighting off the genocidal Lord Shen (Oldman) of Gongman City. Shen is intent on destroying everything and everyone to fill the emptiness, due to a lack of paternal love.

As Po would say, "It's like, quite deep".

As before, Po manages to complete daring feats and heroic acts, not so much out of bravery but by falling skillfully, more often than not led by his ample stomach in search of a quick feed. He does not do this alone of course, we have on hand his usual fighting crew. Tigress (Jolie), Monkey (Chan), Mantis (Rogen), Crane (Cross) & Viper (Liu), heavy hitting star power for a children's animated movie.

We also have Shifu (Hoffman) returning as a "Yoda" like mentor and Mr Ping (Hong) as Po's adopted father, who provides comic relief and some touching scenes in equal measure. The film tidying up the slight oddity of a Panda being the son of a Goose. Michelle Yeo voices the soothsayer that predicts Shen's future, who may or may not be useful to his quest in equal measure. Even Jean Claude Van Damme gets a look in as Master Croc, which always looks good on your filmography.

It goes without saying that the animation and sound are top rate and the story unfolds in a natural way and does not feel conceived merely to extend the franchise. We wanted to know more about the character and here we explore Po's past and why this new threat is so personal and debilitating to him, his own Kryptonite if you will.

What made the previous film really stand out was the hand drawn oriental style animation that interspersed the action, fleshing out stories told by the characters. Here we are again treated to similar sequences which lift the film to another level. For every child friendly chase sequence there is a tender scene which manages to appeal to adults without detracting from the on screen colourful antics.

Will Po manage to vanquish evil again, find balance and reconcile his past, well the deviations from the norm can only be stretched so far but the journey is the thing and there is much to enjoy along the way.

Could well be the the best animated film of the year, Pixar have definite competition in this genre and perhaps mirroring the arc from Toy Story 1 to 2. If so, then the third outing could be special indeed.

Summary

Equalling or even eclipsing the first film this achieves all the studio could have hoped for. Family friendly with a good heart, exquisite animation and a starry but well used voice cast.

Highly Recommended and as the tagline says, "full of awesomeness".
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A perfect sequel to go with the original film.
I had seen the teaser trailer for the awaited sequel for Kung Fu Panda...and I was psyched! Now I had seen Kung Fu Panda 2, and I find that both the original film and this sequel are both AWESOME!

Po is now enjoying being the Dragon Warrior. But then a band of bandit wolves were attacking the Artisan Village for metal. But during the battle, Po noticed a symbol on the bandit leader's armor that triggered a memory from his past - thus letting the wolves escape. Po asks his father Mr Ping ,where he came from, but all the goose can tell him is that he found Po as an infant in a vegetable crate behind his restaurant and adopted him.

Afterwards, Master Shifu had receive word that Master Thundering Rhino, leader of the Kung Fu Council protecting the metropolis of Gongmen City, has been killed by the white peacock Lord Shen with his massive weapon, which threatens to destroys Kung Fu tradition. So Po and the Furious Five are sent to stop him. Now I know I would say this too: that is all I will tell of the film, folks, you will have to see the film for yourself how it ends.

So overall, I love really this film from beginning to end, perfect to go with the original film.
No replay value. Flat, Predictable, and Charmless
bl-606-35225623 June 2011
Some characters voiced by famous people were barely used (especially the snake, monkey, and bird). I didn't see the first movie, but they just seemed like baggage that couldn't be cut. I feel bad for David Cross getting about 3 lines and none of them being comedic. This was an all star voice cast, and it was mostly wasted.

There was no emotional build up in the plot or development of the characters. It just stumbled through a series of henchmen fight scenes. You knew how the movie was going to turn out in the end. In fact this was one of the most predictable movies I have ever seen. Let alone the plot, scenes, and character types we've seen 100 times before, I found myself predicting the ends of the characters lines way too many times. There was no charm to this movie. Compare to a Pixar movie, they both use clichés, but Pixar films are actually remembered. Nobody in this film really had a developed personality besides Jack Black's character.

Visually, the entire film seemed to be colored an ominous red and gray. It made for a very uncomfortable movie as the whole thing looked like it was over a fire. Compare to Mulan, where there were scenes in the white snow or woods. That was visually memorable. Who cares about the good CG animation, its like buying a 3 year old expensive crayons. In addition I was confused by the purpose of a lot of the non-kung fu action scenes. I felt like I was watching a video game someone else was playing. They went on for forever. I was later told this would normally be in 3D, makes sense. These scenes are time filling garbage.

Review was harsh, but honestly they created this for the quick cash so I don't think they care. This has almost no replay value and won't stay in your memory for long. It won't bore you to death or anything, I didn't have a bad time watching it, but something irks me when they pull movies like these out of a can and I come here to find it has a rating of about 8. That's on par with Aladdin/Fantasia and above Cinderella/Dumbo. Lets be honest, its about a 4.
9 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Lacking Tension and a believable villain
Truly_mahvelous28 May 2011
I gave the first film an A+ because the story and characterization matched Jack's humor perfectly. This film falls far short mainly because it lacks any real tension at all. In the first film, Po has severe tension with all the main characters--good and bad. The conflict between Po and Mr Ping his Dad, Po and Master Shifu, Po and the Fantastic Five, Po and Tigress, Po and his eating dysfunction, Po and learning Kung-Fu was severe and superb. All the tension was excellently crafted and laid the foundation for humor to release the tension at just the right times. Ian McShane's Tai-Lung was a far better villain and the tension between them was excellent. This sequel could have created a new type of tension with all the characters. Perhaps there could have been treachery within the Fantastic Five(or just perceived treachery), or perhaps a severe misunderstanding with Shifu. But no, instead the story writers gave very weak tension between Po and Master Ox and Croc and minor tension with Po saving China from the evil Shen. The Wolf Boss and wolves, nor the Gorillas were ever perceived as on Shen's side or even a threat, really. The writers even included a fortune-teller that ruined ANY tension between Po and Shen and the eventual outcome altogether. Very anti-climactic. The story about his adoption was touching, and the only reason I gave it a 2 instead of 1.
14 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Better than the first, but that's not saying much.
atakyle13 June 2011
I have mixed feelings for this film. A part of me thinks it was a fairly decent family film, but another part of me thinks that this was unfunny and mediocre.

First of all, the characters are very poorly developed (besides Po). Tigress only has a few lines in this sequel, Viper only has 3 or 4 lines, and Mantis barely speaks at all. Also, about 3/4 through the movie, we're introduced to 2 new characters named Master Croc and Master Rhino. What? Who are these guys. Then, Po says "(gasps) It's Master Croc and Master Rhino! One of the greatest martial artists of all time!". They don't get very much of a backstory. Master Croc and Master Rhino just randomly show up. Secondly, what kind of bothers me a little is that everyone keeps saying "Becuase of Shen (the villain), kung fu is DEAD, man." What?! That doesn't make any sense! Don't they know that they can pass it on from generation to generation?! Lastly, *SPOILER ALERT* Shen's "secret weapon" is a CANNON. Seriously? You couldn't come up with a more threatening and more frightening weapon? Honestly, why can't you just demolish it by going all Kung Fu on it? I mean, Po and everyone else had the chance to do so when they were standing next to it, but they didn't!

Also, the action scenes are just ridiculous. I mean, since when does Martial Arts gives you the power to roll a drop of water around your hand and throw back a cannonball after it is thrown to you? Also, when the characters fight the bad guys, they go super fast and then they start fighting someone else, and then someone else, and then someone else! It makes me very dizzy, and most of the time, I can't tell what's going on!

Thirdly, the jokes really aren't that funny. Some kids were laughing their heads off, but everyone else around 12 and above didn't even chuckle at this movie.

The thing that really bothers me is that Kung Fu Panda 1 & 2 is giving everyone the wrong idea. Martial Arts isn't all about the punching and kicking, it's about learning courage, perseverance, self-control, honor, and friendship and giving it to others, and this series does a TERRIBLE job at delivering that message!

Overall, it's a good movie for kids, but for everyone else, you may not like it.
8 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Still too much Jack Black in so-so film
estabansmythe4 June 2011
A few things can definitely be recommended about "Kung Fu Panda 2" in 3D and none of them have anything to do with Jack Black. Overall, the film gets mixed grades.

The artwork, the visuals and computer graphics are simply stunning. The production team gets a tip o' the Dodgers cap. Seriously, it's the only reason to see the movie.

Having just raved about the visuals, it's got be be said that at least 10 minutes of the bombastic kung fu fight scenes could easily have been cut.

Why? Because it was nothing but ridiculous overkill, i.e., filler to flesh out a weak and mostly empty script so that the studio could deliver a 90-minute film & justify charging $10-15.

I read that star Jack Black is taking credit for re-writing much of his part. Ten-year-olds loved the results. I'm not sure that many over-10-ers did. Face it, the real Jack Black seems to be nothing more than a big overgrown 10-year-old, so it figures.

Not being a fan of his, a little Jack Black goes a very long way for me. I pretty much think that the guy is minimally talented & basically one of the luckiest, most fortunate people in Hollywood. I do not get his mega-fame.

BTW, John Powell & Hans Zimmer's score stands out in several places.

As for the rest of the big-name cast, octogenarian James Hong as Yoda and Gary Oldman as the chief Blue Meanie are darned good.

However, the rest just don't stand out at all. You could tell me that Jean-Claude Killy voiced Master Croc, not Jean-Claude Van Damme, and I wouldn't have known the difference.

The story & script: Since this is so obviously a kids flick, why did writers Jonathan Aibel and Glenn Berger get so deep into the philosophy of finding peace that was what the whole movie was about? This plot went nowhere with the kids I went with & talked to. It was way over their heads.

No, overall, "Kung Fu Panda 2" was a hodgepodge of good & bad. Good visuals, stunning even - and bad everything else.
8 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Seeing Inside
tedg6 June 2011
I've been in China for a month, discovering calligraphic cinematic principles. I had a chance to see this film while there and note two remarkable aspects.

The first is that while this is wholly an American film in its obsession with fathers, character sculpting and pace, it is set in China. Because image in China of China is so tightly controlled, and because the Chinese narrative is carried by outward facing youth and commerce, films such as these build the national narrative as surely as Zhong's efforts.

But what is this film about? The attempt to rule China by force, eliminating the noble nature of the people, here denoted by Kung Fu. (Yes, I know real kung fu has little to do with martial arts, and that the current focus is because temples had to invent something to sell in order to survive. Real kung fu is supposedly the soul of the Tao.)

Though I happened to see this in the most privileged area of Shanghai, Xin Tian Di, I think most of the audience saw it as I did, a successful struggle against tyranny. Shanghai is a city of 22 million. Perhaps a half a million are the privileged, but as much as 75% of the people just in this city are immigrants no different than those exploited in New York 100 years ago. They have no rights. They don't speak the local language.

IMDb is blocked in China, presumably because it did not excise films about Tibet. A ticket to 'Panda' is expensive, though pirated DVDs are a cheap as 25 cents, so possibly only a few hundred million people will see this in China. The first of this franchise was a surprise hit in China, especially among the young college educated. I wonder if this will contribute to democratic action, or simply be another American amusement.

The other remarkable thing was the explicit use of what I call Ted's Law. This law is my observation that when a new narrative layer is explicitly inserted in a film, it is placed exactly one step further on the distance of between reality and the main narrative of the film. So for instance "Death to Smoochy" is a film with a certain center of abstraction. It internally features a TeeVee show which occupies its own conceptual space. In all the ways that the film is abstracted, this is abstracted one more step as far, so that we are fooled into placing ourself in the movie as if it is reality.

This principle is used in most films, but I really like it when it is done purely cinematically. Here, we have a three-d animated world that we are supposed to enter. Within that world are suppressed memories of our hero, an event where his tribe was killed in a Herodian massacre. The story, such as it has a human dimension, is about our panda encountering this inner narrative. It is portrayed as an inner cartoon, one that uses crude, two-dimensional animation. Ted's law is obvious. But this is so common that it would be unremarkable where it not for a halfstep back from that cartoon abstraction.

The film starts with a shadow puppet play, of the sort that any Chinese film-goer will know from Zhang's 'To Live,' (and referenced by Scorcese). It is presented as a two-dimensional cartoon as well, but it isn't until an hour into the film that we are allowed to register it against the 'suppressed memory' fold. So we have the distance between us and the film. We have the distance between us and the original segment of the film as a puppet show prologue. And we have the distance between the main film and inner memory of the bear. When that appears, the original puppet show fold is redefined to be placed midway between those two as an example of another phenomenon I study: dynamic reinterpretation.

Yeah, I know this is not a serious film. But that doesn't mean that serious and deep craft is not applied in the investment, and this example is remarkable. To see how well it is pulled off, consider two characteristics of the peacock in his three incarnations: the way his neck moves and the red and white pattern on his tail.

Angeline Jolie continues her journey is redefining the strength of women.

Ted's Evaluation -- 3 of 3: Worth watching.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hardly worth the money
richnieh6 June 2011
Well, the story is just dull. I simply find it as normal as it gets and totally predictable. The fact that Po just simply find a way to realize the marshal art by 'thinking' about it and call it destiny is none-sense. For any marshal art, the worriers need to practice and maybe in older age, they will find inspiration so they can realize the true arts and have the break through. Otherwise, you are some kind of genius and very suitable to practice marshal art and learn something from special scroll or something, then you can learn the true art. In the first movie, at least ShiFu somehow find a way to train Po so he becomes strong in the end. Still ridiculous but acceptable. In the second story, that part of the story is just so thin and Taichi just suddenly fall in onto the lab and he becomes the master of it… OK, if you just simply for a laugh and try to watch the cute panda, it is OK. However, what you have not seen in the second movie that is not in the first one? The story is not funny anymore, Panda is the same as before and the whole thing really just rushed all way to the end. The parents-son relationship is pretty thin as well. I really enjoyed the first movie and now I find the second one a disappointment. Again, watch in big screen may give the movie a few positive point and really no point to watch it again on small screen.

5 points for the average effort.
6 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Disappointed: Not as Good as the First
3xHCCH26 May 2011
Just got home from watching the first showing of Kung Fu Panda 4 in local cinema with my kids. We were all very excited about it because we loved the first film very much because of the excellent animation, the snappy dialogues and above all, its heart.

However as the movie was starting, for the first few minutes, I was underwhelmed and even bored with the very slow pace of things. The story dealt with Po discovering that he was adopted by his goose father. This is no spoiler because we all obviously know it. We will eventually learn what happened to his parents and how he ended up in a box of radishes outside the noodle shop. From here to there though, the rest of story was very transparent. There was no thrill of discovery for me. The drama seemed forced. I wanted so much to like it, but there was something missing.

The voice acting of Jack Black is most distinct and identifiable. He gives Po a most lovable personality. The rest of the voice acting felt generic, such that those big name stars lending their voices were not really necessary. Yes, including Angelina Jolie, Jackie Chan, Dustin Hoffman. Gary Oldman voices the main antagonist Lord Shen, a misguided peacock. While having a peacock as the vicious enemy was original, it was not executed too well, I felt.

On the more positive end, the artwork and animation was definitely still top-notch. The color and computer effects were astounding. The dialogs were similarly snappy. Too bad, the story was not substantial enough to satisfy me. As much as I liked the individual technical aspects, the product as a whole was ultimately unmemorable. The heart of the film was still there though, but by the time you feel it, you may have already been too disappointed to actually appreciate it.
6 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Saturday morning cartoon stretched to one and a half hours
puff_ng3 July 2011
What a terrible movie.

Every single line of dialogue was cringe worthy. If it wasn't trying too hard to be funny it was shoehorning kungfu into the plot every chance the writers could get.

The plot, themes, twist and moral were all clichéd and predictable. It is a Saturday morning cartoon stretched to one and a half hours.

The Chinese accents were grating. Jack Black, Angelina Jolie, Dustin Hoffman and Gary Oldman's voices did not seem out of place, so why the director felt the need to give all the minor characters Chinese voice actors or Chinese accents to make the movie more authentic when it actually detracts from the experience is beyond me.

The worst aspect of the movie is the fact that Po didn't need to do any hard work or make any effort whatsoever to become stronger; he just got an instant power-up to God mode. It's the antithesis to every single kung-fu movie ever made, where effort and hard work pay off. It's basically telling the audience you can do nothing and still achieve greatness.

The film must've been written by kung-fu fanboys who have no idea about the subject matter beyond the flashy wire-fu.

The very last scene at the end just confirms that this is nothing but a quick and easy cash grab, and that more quick and easy cash grabs are to come.
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this