Iron Man Three (2013) Poster

1,221 Reviews
A Big improvement over Iron Man 2 : Defending an Underrated Marvel third entry!
ivo-cobra822 October 2015
Iron Man 3 (2013) is A Marvel pure, fun, popcorn, Action Film and the third entry of the Iron Man trilogy. It is an awesome superhero Action flick a huge improvement over Iron Man 2 (2010) and million ways better than the new Marvel comic book film Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)!!!!!!!! This film is very criticized and bashed from it is fans. I admit it the first time I watched this film, I hated it, with the Mandarian joke the twist and Guy Pearce been the bad guy and so on. But now after I watch it I was highly impressed and Entertained, this film wasn't boring it had less humor in it and was the most serious with action scenes. Shure there is less Iron Man and more Tony in it, but doesn't ruined my loving for Iron man trilogy! The most what I love of this film is. There wasn't any Avengers in it trough the whole film. Only Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner/Hulk made a cameo scene on the end of the credits but that was it and it did not bother me or annoyed. The story centers around Tony Stark not Avengers, that is why I just love this movie! Thank god Jon Favreau step down as the Director and Shane Black replaced him! I was surprised by the fact that Disney allowed Shane Black making an Action film flick in Lethal Weapon and Die Hard With a Vengeance style! Yes Action style!

I am defending this film against haters. I know a lot of people who will see my review will put it down, just like 30 people put down my review Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)! First off this film isn't Die Hard With A Vengeance or Lethal Weapon film even tough Tony and Rhodes are fighting with guns without their armors. I love the film because it is serious it has Action. Gwyneth Paltrow did a wonderful performance as Pepper un like she did in Iron Man 2. And yes fans I am saying it. She was so damn annoying in Iron Man 2, I disliked watching her in that movie, in this film she is a supporting and caring girlfriend unlike Iron Man 2.

I love this film because The film sets place after the events of The Avengers on Christmas Eve!!! Tony Stark (the always wonderfully charismatic Robert Downey Jr.) is falling apart. This is the first time I see Tony Stark and Iron Man in a snow in Christmas, This film reminds me on Batman Returns (1992) Tim Burton's film. It is pretty good. The attack on Tony's house whit helicopters blowing Tony's house to pieces was the first time in the film I ever saw. Gwyneth put Iron Man Armor on in and she saved Maya Hansen that was outstanding. The scene was pure action! There was kid in this film and no he wasn't annoying, he did a good job helping Tony Stark against his post traumatic stress disorder attacks. Not annoying kid and I think he did a good job. Tony Stark was brilliant fixing and building a new armored suits. Iron Man saved 13. passengers from falling off the airplane Air Force One, tough he crashed in the truck, I loved that scene. Aldrich Killian participated in the development of Extremis thereby amassing a group of Extremis-enhanced soldiers under his command. Killian played by an awesome Guy Pierce did a wonderful job portraying a villain to Tony Stark. I really think Guy Pierce just did an amazing job portraying a villain in Iron Man 3 he was some A.I.M. soldier creating a terrorist attacks and he was brilliant to make an alias Mandarin! To mask his illegal activities as terrorist attacks he created the idealized terrorist persona known as the "Mandarin"! that was brilliant and I love the twist!

Tony Stark, is proved in this third and more than likely final chapter in the solo run of Iron Man. Iron Man 3 or Three as it appears in the end credits amps up the action and closes out the trilogy on a high note setting Tony's eventual return in summer 2015's Avengers: Age of Ultron. But in his most darkest moments he is challenged by his emotions of what happened to him in New York, while dealing with the biggest threat he has encountered: Mandarin. Without given any plot points away for those who may have not seen this, but Iron Man 3 is well worth the admission and then some. People Iron Man 3 sets up Marvel's Phase 2 of features.

This is the best Iron Man movie yet, better than Iron Man 2 and Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) Loved the storyline and Tony was a genius and brilliant again as usual. Great special effects. A very busy, action- and humour-packed comic-book flick. Better than Iron Man 2, but not nearly as good as the original. As usual, Ben Kingsley (as Trevor Slattery) rocked, as did even-sexier-when-angry Gwyneth Paltrow. :-D The acting. Robert Downey is as good as ever, Paltrow, Pearce, Cheadle & Co follow not far behind. The best is Ben Kingsley, though, although his character is ... no, I just want to mention the Good here.

Iron Man 3 (stylized on screen as Iron Man Three) is a 2013 superhero film featuring the Marvel Comics character Iron Man, produced by Marvel Studios and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures.

When Tony Stark's world is torn apart by a formidable terrorist called the Mandarin, he starts an odyssey of rebuilding and retribution.

The rating I am giving to this movie is 9/10
43 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Hated it at first, I like it more each time I re-watch
shangsta9 November 2013
The first time I saw this movie I really didn't like it, I had just come off the high of "The Avengers" and let me make it clear, this one isn't as good. That said it is significantly better than Iron Man 2 and that's because the story is deeper and direct. There's a lot less focus on explosions and fancy effects (although there is plenty of that) and more on dialogue and character development.

One thing I like about this movie is that you get to learn more about Tony Stark, as much as I loved his arrogance in IM1, 2 at the end of Avengers he was humbled and that continues in this one. On the one hand I love the suits and the fancy technology but it's Robert Downey's sarcasm and wit that make him so great for this franchise.

Yes there is a big plot twist but it by no means ruins the movie and while I was not a fan of the ending, you can see where things are going towards Avengers 2.

It may not be for you, my only advice is to make sure you watch it again. I was angry the first time I did and thought the movie was a joke, each additional time I've watched it I take something more from it and enjoy it a little more.
36 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
" Open the Closet and examine one of Twenty-five suits "
thinker16913 October 2013
The director of this film called: " Iron Man 3 " is Shane Black. Together with screen writer and Marvel comic Creator Stan Lee they surpass themselves. The movie proves to be an exciting, sky jaunting, world traveling explosion for the mind. The story continues the saga of handsome Tony Stark (Robert Downy Jr.), who is a Billionaire and inventive genius. From the creative mind of Marvel comics, writer Stan Lee, comes this third segment of the Iron Man. In this chapter, we find Stark in a fitful state while his active mind is unable to allow his body to rest or sleep. As such he is ripe for an attack from his newest enemy called Mandarin ( Ben Kingsley) who promises to destroy Iron Man. The first attack is to Starks' Malibu home which Mandarin destroys with three guided missiles. Among all the things which Tony loses is his beautiful beach-side home, his girlfriend Pepper Potts (Gwyneth Paltrow) and his wealth which leaves him destitute and homeless. Crashing on the ground in the state of Tennesse, Stark realizes he must start again. He does this with the help of Jarvis, (Paul Bettany) his Robotic aid, Harley Kenner (Ty Simpkins) an orphan boy who inspires Tony to rebuild himself and James Rhodes (Dom Cheadle) who reprises his role as his Military friend. Together they take on the International criminal called Manderin (Ben Kingsley) and his major henchman called Aldrich Killian. (Guy Pearce). The movie is filled with high drama, Damsel rescues, Presidential protection, high flying chills and thrills and explosive combat displays. The reckless pursuit of action scenes is what drives this movie. The cast which included Miguel Ferrer as Vice President Rodriguez is exceptional and lends itself to the complete foundation for a real exciting Classic. I fully recommend this movie to all movie fans and friends of Stan Lee. ****
19 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Here Begins The Post-Avengers!
g-bodyl21 August 2014
Iron Man 3 is the first Marvel film to be released since 2012's mega-hit, The Avengers. If this movie is any indication, I think we are off to a very good start. All things considered, this may be the best film in the Iron Man franchise to date. The story arc keeps getting better, especially when Tony Stark takes off with Nolan-esque emotions and of course, with the rather infamous twist that I happened to like. The CGI is the best of the series and that is evident in the action-packed scenes involving all the suits. I guess it's true that better technology means better effects.

Shane Black, known for his extraordinary writing skills, directs the third installment in the Iron Man franchise. Several months after the events of The Avengers, Stark has not been himself as he suffers from post traumatic disorder. But he must get into gear quick as a terrorist organization known as 'The Mandarin" begins to create havoc in the world.

As always with the Iron Man films, the acting is very good. Robert Downey Jr. is spot-on as Tony Stark. Despite his depression at times, he manages to keep the clever wit that we all love. Gwyneth Paltrow has some shining moments as Pepper. Ben Kingsley makes a very fine addition to the cast as the Mandarin, and of course having talents like Guy Pearce and Rebecca Hall helps as well. We also might have to keep an eye out on Ty Simpkins, the young boy that Stark grows pretty close to. He may be a star one day.

Overall, Iron Man 3 is an action-packed, character-driven film and it continues the success of above-average superhero films. Scores of people bash on the twist, but I think it was excellent and it added some light-heartiness to the movie. I liked the addition of a voice-over because it seems to have added more feeling to the movie. The CGI is excellent and those flying suits were a great achievement. Now with Iron Man 3 behind us, I'm eagerly awaiting the next Marvel installment. I rate this movie 9/10.
16 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Iron man 3
jeremy-shaw56931 July 2014
In 2008, Iron Man ushered in a new era of superhero movies that would push the genre to unbelievable success over the next 5 years. Iron Man 2, although not as strong as the first, proved itself a worthy sequel on the road to The Avengers. Now with The Avengers all assembled, Iron Man 3 kicks off Marvel's second stage of their cinematic universe with a solid, but not amazing film, much like Iron Man 2 was to Iron Man 1. Let's get the negatives out of the way. The number one problem with this movie, and the reason it could turn hardcore fans off, is the plot, or more specifically, the number of plot holes. There are a few of them, and I'll skim through them quickly. First off, while this is a stand alone Iron Man movie, the cloud of the Avengers was hanging over the movies head the entire film. The main villain, The Mandarin (who I'll talk more about shortly) is a terrorist who is severely threatening America's national security. You'd think that maybe Captain America might be able to help out with this crisis because, I don't know, he has America in his name! And we know he exists in the same world as Iron Man,and his job is to protect the stars and stripes right? My point is that although this is an Iron Man movie, now that the Avengers has been released I fear that all of the stand alone movies could suffer from the same question that this movie has; where are the rest of the guys? Second, is the villain. When Ben Kingsley was announced to play Iron Man's greatest foe, I was pumped. The trailers looked awesome and in the first half of the movie, The Mandarin is a scary and fun bad guy. But this all changes with a plot twist that totally makes you do a face palm. Following this twist, the movie just isn't the same, and is hard to take seriously. There are other plot holes that I'll avoid talking about due to spoilers and length, but there are a few more. Besides the plot, the only other complaints I have is that there simply was not enough action from Iron Man himself and when there was, it was fast and minimal. Iron Man never gave off that super bad ass vibe that he did in the first movie, but still was awesome in his own way.

Now, with that all being said the movie had many positives going for it. The action was exciting and fun and the CG effects added to the action very nicely. The comedy in Iron Man 3 is plentiful, and between the high-octane action and the comedic relief, there is never a dull moment (excluding the face palm moment). While the action makes up for possibly the best parts of the movie, it would be nothing without the actors behind those sequences. Robert Downey Jr. once again shows us that he is arguably the most entertaining actor to ever play a superhero on the big screen. Simply put, he steals the show once again. Whether he's cracking a joke, kicking major butt, or battling with his inner demons, Downey Jr. is a treat to watch. And surrounding him is a wonderful cast of supporting characters such as Iron Patriot (Don Cheadle), Pepper Pots (Gwyneth Paltrow), and Aldrich Killian (Guy Pearce) to name a few. The acting is one of the best parts of the movie.
16 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
...i choose to see this movie as being misunderstood by fans of the comic...
bcheng935 March 2014
i see all the fans of the iron-man comics are all heated up and gave this movie very lukewarm reviews and meanwhile most critics liked it. i think i know why...you see...once upon a time i was a huge fan of comic books and iron-man was one of my favorites. as i recall the main gripe i have and every comic fan out there is that they really did injustice to the main villain, if you've read the comic then you'll understand.

even though i use to be a comic book fan, i am also a movie fan too! i see this movie in the same light that the critics do and i would actually give this movie an 8. you see, if you just ignore the huge change they made to the main villain compared to the comic, then the movie stands up very well on its own.

come on people, how can you not like a movie with a cast including : will sadler, miguel ferrer, rebecca hall, guy pearce, robert downey jr,don cheadle and more and everybody looked like they were having fun doing this movie. besides that you also have a very strong message about private corporation sponsored custom made terrorists. that is a very real and scary threat, all you need is one big nut-job in a high position to do so.

the special effects are worth a mention, they were spectacular and for people that said it was slow and not enough action, i say phooey, it had as much as the previous two and the pacing i felt was better also.

the movie had a nice intelligent script and very competent actors and if you are a fan of twists in movies, this one has a few.

so...all you iron-man comic book fans have to try to cool off and watch this movie and see and relate to it as a movie and then give your opinion. for me personally, this is the 4th time i've watched the movie and unlike the other comic book movies this one seems to get better with every viewing.

if you were to leave the comic book fans out of the voting( there is a lot of them it seems ) and just leave it to the critics and fans of movies then this movie would at least be an 8 on IMDb.
26 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
An Adventurous Continuation…(retracted)
jasonpachar26 June 2014
In 2008, we were re-introduced to a comic book that we grew up as kids reading – Iron Man. But this time, an epic adventure that gave us a lesson in identity. An identity of sorts, an identity of personal growth. But the enemy was within the ranks of the inner circle – a friend betrays a friend.

In 2010, that identity continues but in a whole new way, the billionaire playboy Tony Stark continues his quest to rid the world of evil and mass destruction. But the enemy grows – and there is only one way to destroy it – an enemy from the Russian federation, an enemy with a grudge.

In 2013 – it all comes to an epic conclusion – as we see in this final installment in this franchise – we see our hero as he faces something more terrifying than Obadiah Stane, more menacing than Whiplash, a firey Mandarin – this is no ordinary villain it brings out the worst in our hero and yet he begins to unravel before our eyes.

What's next for our hero? Will he be back? Or is this the end… This trilogy could not happen without the greatest actor of our generation – an actor who brought us to our knees in WonderBoys and created chemistry with Ally McBeal – Robert Downey, Jr. And an actress who loves to country croon and scream – Gwyneth Paltrow. To the villains – Jeff Bridges, Mickey Rourke, Sir Ben Kingsley & Guy Pearce, - could there be more evil for Iron Man to fight? The 2 directors that brought all the drama, romance and yea – the sense of adventure – Jon Favreau and Shane Black, does Shane Black return or will Jon Favreau helm the 4th installment? All we know is that there is an…..IRON MAN 4 in the works.

This movie rocks.
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
A brief review of Iron Man 3
Joe Cartwright2 October 2013
****This Review may contain spoilers**** Iron man 3, a good film from the point of view of a non-marvel viewer like myself. No doubt it was wildly successful, and personally I found it funny, action packed, had a sense of girl power delivered nicely from Pepper (Gwyneth Paltrow) towards the end, and was just a thoroughly enjoyable film. Although from the point of an avid marvel fan it was a true disappointment, stripping The Mandarin (Ben Kinglsey) of his original evil ways and making him and idiotic and useless tool that is part of a bigger plan; not only that but they got an actor as highly talented as Ben Kinglsey and wasted him on a role with little meaning. However I did really enjoy the comedy The Mandarin brought which complimented Killian Aldrich's (Guy Pearce) evil and malevolent ways. Moving on to the most important person; Tony Stark – played by the one and only amazing Robert Downey Jr. He is hilarious and has brought back another astounding performance from the original Iron Man. While everyone else delivers a great performance, Robert Downey Jr really makes the film how good it is! However it was quite annoying that in the film Iron Man, he spent a little amount of time actually in the suit being Iron Man and more time being Tony Stark. While this is good, I'd still prefer to have seen more of him in the suit, being IRON MAN! This is only a minor bad point and didn't have too much of an effect on the overall film. Like I said it was funny and action packed and just really good to watch. It had impeccable editing and exceptional special effects, plus the Eiffel 65 theme tune was so great! Going back to the view of a Marvel fan, the film was an utter disaster. If you go into this film and expect to see an accurate representation of what was delivered in Stan Lees famous comic books then you will be greatly disappointed. 'The Mandarin' is reduced to nothing more than a druggy who was found on the streets and brought in to act the role; the only good thing is he was played by Ben Kingsley. While it did add an element of humour I still feel it was a bit of a let down from what was expected. Also with him being made into a joke it stripped the film of its main villain and left an empty hole which could only be filled by a true evil source. The whole plot of the film was good, well thought out and followed on nicely from the two previous films – which were also amazing – and continued the whole theme of the trilogy perfectly. Also it was well connected to The Avengers which was good but unless you'd seen The Avengers, like I hadn't the first time I saw this film, then it got a little confusing and felt like I missed something in the second film. This was just a minor setback and was quickly fixed with a little background info from a friend. Finally I felt this film was extremely good, a little confusing but nothing too bad, very funny and I enjoyed it all the way through. From my point of view, a non-marvel fan, it was a great film; but from a serious marvel fan it was a serious let down. I'd recommend that if you want to see an action packed and really good superhero film then this is for you. But if you expect to see an accurate and close follow to the comic books then this isn't really for you. One last note is the final battle, this was seriously amazing! The special effects in it, the amount of money spent on it just everything! The pyrotechnics were something else and just I loved it all so much! One of the best scenes from a film ever.
Iron Man Soars And Fails On Different Levels -
aesgaard4111 September 2013
I think it was in "Last Action Hero" that the kid sidekick told Arnold Schwarzeneggar's movie character that by the third movie, everything is supposed to get harder, and that's very much obvious in "Iron Man 3" because Robert Downey Jr.'s character of Tony Stark spends more time out of his suit than he did in it in both the first two movies. Once more dipping into the franchise of Marvel Comics, a terrorist named the Mandarin played by Ben Kingsley is threatening the world, and it is again up to Tony to stand up to defending the planet, only he is not going to be helped by his teammates from "The Avengers." Tony is assisted by Don Cheadle as War Machine aka Iron Patriot and the rest of his iron brigade that by this movie he has developed to operate by voice control. Gwyneth Paltrow as Pepper Potts actually gets more to do than just scream and be a victim; she actually gets to wear the suit and become the Iron Princess. The movie and plot are rungs above the first two films with a lot more going on. Experiencing a bit of post-traumatic stress after the aliens in "Avengers," Tony proves he doesn't need the suit as he deals with a number of genetically enhanced assassins led by Guy Pearce who can actually burn through the suit via a genetic quirk that amped his healing factor. (Does Wolverine know this chowder-head stole his gimmick?) Watching the movie, I can't help but wonder if Tony has ever seen a zombie flick; why doesn't he just shoot these people in the head? There is no way they can regenerate brain cells. Once those things are lost, there is no coming back. Beyond that, "Iron Man 3" is beyond exemplary, setting new standards for all superhero flicks coming up or in production and establishing that it really doesn't matter who's in the suit, just what you do with it. There are a few more deaths than usual, and several jaw-dropping moments, and Downey's quips and the fact the movie itself doesn't take itself serious make it more than appealing. My only fault with it is that Tony was going to come to Tennessee, he could have stopped by and said hello. My advice: leave the genetically enhanced assassins in California.
Iron Man 3, a perfect sequel to The Avengers (!) & Iron Man 2
royzuidema20 August 2013
I watched Iron Man 3 with a low expectations due to the mostly negative reviews. After watching it, I have actually no clue why all those reviews are so extremely negative. Of course a third movie is not the same as the movies before, there have to be changes because without them everyone would complain about the movie being boring and the same. And of course the plot twist regarding the Mandarin are somewhat.. let's say unexpected. A lot of people also said that the movie was really unrealistic, I can imagine why they say that but after The Avengers I thought the reality had already gone. Iron Man 3 is indeed a sequel of Iron Man 2 but also (not to forget!!) of The Avengers. And please don't say flying aliens from another dimension are realistic..

Therefore I'd like to talk about the positive parts in the movie (which are the most parts if you ask me) and by discussing those parts I'll keep in mind that Iron Man 3 follows Tony Stark after dealing with the events in The Avengers. The thing I really love is that we see Tony Stark as a person, not only as a character that controls the Iron Man suit. Tony dealt with a lot of problems in The Avengers, he even almost committed suicide to save the world, something that he wouldn't have done in Iron Man 1. This is a major example of the change of Tony Stark as a person. What would you guys think? That after almost killing himself he would just be the same old Tony Stark. That after seeing aliens and other things he (the technician who only believed in the laws of physics) thought weren't possible he would just be cocky, humorous and afraid of nothing. That (!) would be unrealistic.

I think Iron Man 3 is the perfect sequel to Iron Man 2 and The Avengers just because it follows the growth of Tony Stark's character. The Manderin could have been a lot cooler, I'll agree with you on that point. But I do think this is a plot twist that no one saw coming, which is the definition of a good plot twist in my opinion.
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Not perfect but risky and enjoyable throughout
stubs18226 June 2013
Ever since the release of the first installment back in 2008 I've been a big fan of the series, I caught the first flick on the big screen 3 times and it's sequel twice, so my anticipation was high. I'd intentionally avoided most of the trailer, TV spots and early reviews as I tend to find too much exposure to pre-release hype diminishes the actual viewing experience, but I had a general idea of the direction. I'm also a big fan of director Shane Black and specifically Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, an action/comedy/buddy flick, set at Christmas featuring Robert Downey Jr, so I also had a general idea of what to expect in terms of artistic tone and I was not disappointed with what I saw.

Easily the best Iron Man movie so far, the movie finds itself in an unusual position, not only is it the direct sequel to Iron Man 2 it also follows the events of The Avengers which plays a big role in the character development of Tony, who finds himself suffering from severe panic attacks which is understandable for a guy who just flew a nuclear weapon in a giant worm hole in the sky above New York opened by an army of evil intergalactic space aliens. So how do you create an appropriate threat for the man of Iron now that he's fought Avengers level threats? The answer is to cripple Tony's confidence, take him back to basics, essentially fighting himself back out of the proverbial cave with a bunch of scraps.

What Shane Black has achieved is the funniest Iron Man movie that also features stunning action sequences, something that was somewhat lacking in the previous installments. As always the dialogue is witty and expertly delivered by Downey, but what really had me laughing out loud was a particularly inventive sequence featuring a not quite complete Iron Man suit.

The big third act finally has been pretty much spoiled by every single trailer they put out but it still manages to deliver in terms of sheer 'ZOMG' awesomeness.

I loved the relationship between Tony and the little boy and was genuinely touched by the heart warming ending. I've seen a few reactions by people wondering how Tony will feature in future installments specifically Avengers 2 now that he has removed his chest piece and destroyed all his suits, I would point out that it the chest piece isn't required to use an Iron Man suit, War Machine uses one, Iron Monger used one in IM1, Whiplash used a suit in IM2, Pepper Potts uses the suit briefly, so Tony will still be able to use an Iron Man suit when required. As to the destruction of his entire arsenal, He's Tony Stark, come on, of course he's gonna make more suits. He even says right at the end of the film, I am Iron Man. And essentially I always will be no matter what happens to me. And in case you had any doubt at all, the movie even spells it out for you in the end credits, Tony Stark will return. Speaking of end credits the stinger, the amount of people who stayed glued to their seats in anticipation of the now famous Marvel stingers was really a testament to their appeal. I really enjoyed this one, the relationship between Tony and Bruce was something I really enjoyed in The Avengers and I'm really glad they've decided to build upon that.

Now just as few things I do have an issue with, The Ten Rings? As revealed in this movie The Madarin was nothing more than a tool used to manipulate the public, created by Aldrich Killan, that in itself I have no problem but it does raise one important question, what was going on in the first movie when the Ten Rings kidnapped Tony? Are we to now believe that Aldrich Killian was behind it all along? Or has Shane Black just created a pretty sizeable plot hole in the entire Iron Man series?

That being said I really dug the movie and I'm super excited for the future of the Marvel cinematic Universe.
It was a great film!
hakhyuns-859-9153672 December 2013
I saw this film this year, and I felt that the special visual effects on the screen was fascinating. Also, the new design of the Iron man suit was awesome. However, the movie might have become better if the director made a detailed scene why did the Robert Downey Jr. was keep fighting with himself. What I have seen in the movie was only Iron man falling down from the sky after he went to the other world? in the Avengers. Nevertheless, the film was great enough to be popular from casting to visual effect, everything seems great. Every single actors including Robert Downey, Jr. Gwyneth Paltrow Don Cheadle Guy Pearce Rebecca Hall James Badge Dale Jon Favreau Ben Kingsley Paul Bettany did great job in the movie!
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Iron Man 3 is not the best in the trilogy but is still an entertaining movie
Simionski10 June 2013
Iron Man 3 is, for me at least, one big letdown. It is not a bad movie but it certainly is not what you'd expect after The Avengers.

Robert Downey's charismatic take on the character was the big reason of the success of the previous movies in the franchise and he still hasn't lost his charm. He delivers his lines as witty as he can but at one moment the jokes become one too many. The movie derails from what it should be and becomes a comedy. And not in the good way. Most of the jokes are out of place in moments which should be dramatic and thus the scenes cannot be taken seriously.

Ben Kingsley is great but the weak script doesn't do any good to the main villain. And a superhero movie needs a good villain which Iron Man 3 hasn't.

Don Cheadle's character is mismanaged and doesn't contribute to the plot or the movie in any way.

One of the good things in Iron Man 3 is Tony and Pepper's relationship which is handled really well and the chemistry between the actors reflects on the screen.

The ending is forced in a way but after all the film ends on a high note.

It certainly could have been better but given as it is Iron Man 3 is a good continuation to the story of Tony Stark that leaves you with wanting more and we all know at some point Robert Downey we put on the suit again and maybe we'll get a movie on the level of the original.
24 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Not without flaws but still a hugely entertaining ride.
The-Seeker25 July 2015
**Spoilers**

I'll dive right in and start by addressing the obvious elephant in the room by which I mean Iron Man 3's many questionable plot points and outright flaws. Following on from 2012's stunning dream team-up The Avengers, Iron Man 3 had the unenviable task of picking up the pieces and going solo again.

My first nitpick is Tony Stark's PTSD regarding his flight through a wormhole above New York. A man who has an innate ability to predict the future (for aside from his mechanical genius that is Stark's 'power') would surely be well equipped mentally to cope with the revelation that aliens are indeed out there. His breakdown due to this one factor is something that doesn't smack of the comic book Tony Stark. I simply don't buy his anguish.

Another jarring choice is the difference between pre-Extremis Killian and his super- powered version. A more subtle physical performance for the pre-enhanced version would have been preferred from Guy Pearce. And whilst on the subject, the level of power that Extremis gives its subjects is pushed just too far. Rapid regeneration and the ability to heat up to 1,000s of degrees is just taking things too far to remain wholly believable. These guys make the T-1000 look tame. A little more restraint is all I'm asking.

Another nitpick is the last line which was changed from the scripted one. One of the film's better ideas is taking Tony Stark and stripping him of his suits but even without them he's still a guy who can make something out of nothing and survive, he still is Tony Stark yet the closing line of "I am Iron Man" as opposed to the original line of "I am Tony Stark" is a bizarre choice and in a way prevents Tony's story arc coming full circle.

These are personal nitpicks and some may see other major plot points as flaws and whereas I once did, I've now come to appreciate some of Shane Black's more bold choices. So let's deal with the main one, The Mandarin. Whilst I was with the majority initially and hated the big twist now I see it as a stroke of genius and very brave writing. Killian himself addresses the matter when he says, "You simply rule from behind the scenes. Because the second you give evil a face, a Bin- Laden, a Gaddafi, The Mandarin, you hand people a target." It's all there in that one line, The Mandarin was the ultimate decoy. And let's be honest about the Mandarin from the comics, he's an outdated Fu-Manchu racial stereotype that borders on being offensive. And let's not take any credit away from Sir Ben, as both The Mandarin and Trevor Slattery he's just pure entertainment.

What IM3 gets right it does so with aplomb. The film's humour is spot-on most of the time and typical of a Shane Black film. The three main action scenes (there are lots more besides) are a masterclass in frenetic, well staged and jaw-dropping action. The helicopter attack on the Malibu house is superb and the Air Force One skydiving rescue scene is phenomenal and one of the greatest set-pieces I've ever seen, the majority of it filmed for real with only minor CG enhancements. The final House Party Protocol battle is the stuff of fanboy dreams and is wholly satisfying. Apart from Tony then blowing up all his suits that is. Bum move Stark, you might need those soon!

So in summary it's a film that fires along at a cracking pace and thoroughly entertains if you can ignore some of its more questionable plot choices. For me it's the most entertaining of the three Iron Man films and one that I initially disliked but have now grown to love. It stands up to repeat viewings as much as any of the best MCU films. I still lament Marvel's avoidance of some the darker elements from the books relating to Stark's alcoholism which would give RDJ an opportunity to really stretch his acting muscles and give extra depth to the character. The film's mis-steps are often significant and have irked many a hardcore Marvel fan but they're mostly forgivable when you take into account just how very high those many high points are.
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Not perfect,but very well made.
Nicole Carey23 November 2014
I was very surprised with people criticizing this movie at first, because of the Mandarin twist many people are saying it wasn't as good as they expected it, well we all have different opinions, but to criticize entire movie because of the villain twist which actually fits the movie way better or simply not liking it is somehow in my opinion...well, screams a person never pleased with anything and is very pessimistic and as well as much as I hate to say it didn't ''get'' this movie. *SPOILER ALERT* Let's start off by Tony's panic attacks, considering that in the comics he struggled with alcohol for the younger audience it is way better to make him simply have anxiety issues other than let them see a hot mess drunk Stark, and oh well, he's a normal man, New York left a mark on him, it's understandable. The reason why his suits were a lot ''weaker'' is because they were prototypes, the original 7 or 8 suits he has were way stronger but they couldn't get attached to his body whenever he calls them and didn't have the new special features that he gave these new suits, he didn't yet perfect these suits and do every little detail right when he got attacked, when his house got destroyed the suits we know and see were also destroyed, but the House Protocol was this perfect back up plan he saved for the big moment, he saved it for the moment he will need them the most and that IS to save the president, if he used the protocol straight away when they attacked his house it wouldn't make any sense. Now the villain, as much as I know about the real Mandarin from the comic books, he just in my opinion wouldn't fit in this movie, still they portrayed him as a lunatic terrorist, and no matter how intimidating he looks, he's just another terrorist, and Tony has fought them in the first Iron Man, so this wouldn't be that big of a problem he would find his location and find a way to kill him, Killian is different, his problem with Tony is more on a personal level, and look at it this way, the man has learned how to ''upgrade'' humans DNA, and we all have seen that while it's not perfectly upgraded, after becoming extremist it is very hard to defeat it. This was the first time the villain actually was maybe smarter than Tony, this was the first time Tony had to show off his skills outside of the suit, this was the first time I wasn't so sure will he win at the end, and in my opinion that is what makes this movie very well put all together, finally we see Tony Stark is not invincible, he isn't perfect, he isn't a non emotional son of a bitch that only cares about himself, he takes risks, he makes plans years ahead, and well, his suits are not a distraction or a hobby. His suits are him,he IS Ironman. CGI was incredible, every action scene was well done, the ending made up for few plot holes which every movie has. 9/10
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
An electrifying but provocative comic-book film.
G K30 May 2014
Iron Man 3 is another solid entry in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It's somewhat different from the two Iron Man films before because Shane Black replaced Jon Favreau as director. Favreau's influence on the film is evident, and he appears in his role as Happy Hogan, now Stark Industries head of security. Iron Man 3 offers just as much popcorn entertainment as Favreau's efforts. It's a more interesting film than Iron Man 2 (2010) because Tony Stark (Robert Downey, Jr.) has to rely on his smarts and innovation instead of his firepower as he faces forces beyond his control. Iron Man 2 is a solid, enjoyable sequel but it was a bit of a letdown after Iron Man (2008). In Iron Man 3 the screenplay by Shane Black and Drew Pearce takes unexpected turns for a superhero movie. Purists may be upset by the changes from the comic books, but the surprises are actually neat. The big reason why this works is because the new actors, Ben Kingsley, Guy Pearce, James Badge Dale, Ty Simpkins and Stephanie Szostak, deliver memorable performances. Downey, Jr. is as good as ever, and he handles the humor just as well as in the terrific crime-comedy Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005). But Shane Black didn't bring only his clever comedy to Iron Man 3. He maintained the series' playful tone without neglecting Stark's struggle. He also delivered spectacular action set pieces in which Iron Man gets to put his abilities to good use, like in the dizzying action sequence involving Air Force One. Iron Man 3 is definitely the funniest Marvel film yet, but the drama involving Extremis is no less effective. The visual effects for the film were handled by 17 companies, including Scanline VFX, Digital Domain, and Weta Digital. Thanks to the excellent CGI we get to see the good-looking suits that Tony Stark has been working on. After the events of The Avengers (2012) he didn't spend all his time brooding because of his posttraumatic stress disorder. Brian Tyler contributed a good, bombastic music score for Iron Man 3. It features a memorable theme, and works well with the drama of the film too. I've seen all the Marvel films in a theater and, just like all of them, Iron Man 3 wasn't a letdown. The action, the comedy, the drama, the acting, and simply the intelligence of these films always make them enjoyable. Producer Kevin Feige was influenced by RoboCop (1987), something that makes it clear what his formula is. I definitely recommend Iron Man 3. It's a strong finish to a good trilogy.
Happy viewing.
troy-manatunga10 June 2013
Let's start off by saying that IRON MAN 3 ensures a future to this ever so entertaining franchise. The 2nd movie did seem to be on full throttle whilst the e-brakes were on creating some critical friction where as the latest addition which makes this trilogy potentially even more lucrative. However Robert Downey Jr did sign up for only 3 installments and this maybe the last time we do see Tony Stark rolling solo. This being said the 48 year old superstar has said that he is hoping to play more of Tony Stark in the future. It's just a matter of time until we figure out if it will only be with the Avengers or simply on his own!

Two things about this motion picture is extremely are appealing to me.

An entirely new breed of nemesis with the inclusion of the Mandarin (not the fruit) is the first. The second one is having Shane Black take over the director's chair from Jon Favreau.

The Mandarin

A bit fruity isn't it? I feel The Mandarin is more villain than Vanko and Stane thanks be to his theatrics. He is more realistic and grittier than those before. The reference and the cut scene from the Middle East will connect you with the first movie making this explosion of action feel more IRON MAN. Sir Ben Kingsley is 100% the meanest nemesis in the Marvel universe. Loki to me feels smaller in my mind standing next to the fearful Mandarins persona. There is only so much that I can talk about the Mandarin without spoiling the entire movie for the reader. Once you watch it you will realize it and those who have watched it already will simply agree.

Shane Black

When you talk about Shane Black taking over from Jon Favreau the first question is why? Monetary decision? Creative Decision? Bottom line the change worked for the trilogy. Blacks worked with RDJ before and it's even fair to say that RDJ got a push into the stardom following KISS KISS BANG BANG. Black accepts the facts and realizes that Iron Man certainly cannot go bigger than THE AVENGERS since it's the story of Tony Stark and this man's only super power is hi mind. Hence IRON MAN 3 becomes entirely about Stark following the entire New York City incident. Black focuses on the Man and not on the Suit. He exposes Stark and brings out the sharpest gifts to the test. He tests Tony Stark's gifted mind. Bravo!

Expect a combination of continuous action a gradual yet intense climax and a world of 21st first century CGI at its best. Do yourself a favor and do not watch this in 3D. I will assure you that it will be more enjoyable in 2D at this point of time in technology.

Happy viewing.

TITLE: IRON MAN 3 DIRECTED BY: SHANE BLACK STARRING: ROBERT DOWNEY JR, SIR BEN KINGSLEY, GWENYTH PALTROW, JON FAVREAU, DON CHEADLE & GUY PEARCE RATED: PG13 RATING: 08/10 RUNTIME: 130 MINUTES
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Good but could be better
lois-mckinder2 October 2013
The film is really good its has plenty of action adventure and humour. The budget was $200 million and the Box office was over billion which shows the success of the film.

The film beings with a flashback on one New Year's Eve Tony Starks humiliates Aldrich Killian played by Guy Pearce. Years later explosions happen in America which leaves Happy Hogan (Jon Favreau), who was Starks body guard and directed Iron Man 1 and 2,in a coma, Tony threatens the people behind it, which then leads to his home being destroyed, he then finds the people who are responsible after taking him and Pepper Potts hostage. All he has to fight with is his new prototype MK42.

The director of Iron Man is Shane Black who is known for his films based on Christmas, and started the film on New Years Eve which is around Christmas time.

One good thing about this film are the Visual effects. Also, the humour used in the film keeps the film entertaining. The tension created also contributes to making this film worth to watch. And relationship with Harley, who was the young boy, shows emotional side of Stark which helps us understand the character more.

One bad thing about this film is the uncovering of the Madrian because some of the audience may be expecting a real villain. Also before the film came out the teasers shown people dying and more action but didn't happen as much in the film. The ending of the film is disappointing as it ended and resolved itself quickly.
15 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Great technology imagination, awesome special effects and cool acting
iitb-pranav16 May 2013
Human beings have always tried to see beyond the future. We extend our imagination beyond our limits. And when any movie offers a visual treat showing some of the best science fiction stuff, we just love to enjoy watching it. Isn't it? Iron Man 3 offers just the same. After Avengers thrilled our eyes, Iron Man 3 gives us a fabulous treat by taking the Iron man technology to the next level. Frankly, Iron man 2 didn't offer much of the variety in terms of entertainment. It felt like just continuation of Iron Man 1. But Iron Man 3 takes the suit to the next level and gives a completely different entertainment factor. Movie starts with glimpses of Stark's past that would establish its connection with the main story. Main story starts with the terror threats and series of bomb explosions executed by a terrorist named 'Mandarin'. Story also introduces in parallel a scientist working on human DNA upgrading. Tony is developing new versions of his Iron Man suit. Soon circumstances project Stark as a rival of Mandarin. Movie offers many unexpected turn of events and some eye-catching visual effects as it progresses. Some of the scenes like demolition of Stark's home, Stark rescuing people from plane crash and fight of Iron men army are unforgettable. RDJ is awesome as usual. It feels like he is not acting but he is Iron man himself. Among others, Sir Ben Kingsley gives a fantastic appearance. Though the role is short, it offers lots of shades in his characters. In all I would say, this is a must watch movie for fabulous special effects, awesomely eccentric RDJ, good story and a nice climax. Don't miss this one.
15 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
The best Iron man movie BUT failed short of a peek
Cavalerra29 March 2014
To date this is the best Iron man movie without any doubt in my mind. I rarely give movies a rating of 8 and above and I nearly gave this movie a 9. The problem with this movie isn't so much the story or the characters as they all perform beautifully. Tony Stark is as always very well portrayed, Pepper and Warmachine all spot on. The acting is superb and not to be questioned. The visual effects are spot on, the editing however... and here begin the problems.

I believe that in Iron Man 3 one of two things happened: they either had too much or too little footage. I am willing to bet that they had allot more footage than screen time allowed. Now this is great for later BRD releases with more movie time but it becomes somewhat odd in the cinema. The ending felt very rushed for what would've been a full climactic peek of the series that would sum up Tony's mental and physical struggle with his body and his philosophic battle to overcome an illness by building a shell around to protect him. We have all felt vulnerable once or twice in our life but he depicts a man of a serious illness who if given the chance could be perfectly able to climb to the top of a mountain and back. Due to his health restrictions he pretends to be the super hero rather than actually being one...makes sense? Tony wants to be seen and remembered as a remarkable genius but he has to overplay what he doesn't have in health with that which he has in intellect and character; and so Iron Man is born. Sadly Iron Man 3 does everything right for the most part and when the time finally comes to reach that high peek when things really matter (at the very end of the movie) the scenes rush through and leave you gasping for air. biting the pillow in agony.

What makes me really angry is the amount of time they spent in the initial build up of the Mandarin (who is a legit comic book villain) only to make him out to be a run of the mill "b class" actor. They would've cut to the point and shortened the early scenes in favor for more time at the end to really see Tony Stark with a healed heart. Maybe we could have a scene where him and peeper watch a sunrise and tears fall out of his eyes, the burden of illness never there anymore, or where he runs on a field not worried that he will pass out or have some type of cardiac arrest... just a little bit more of how his life improves with his new heart, how he escapes the very thing that most people can't escape with chronic illnesses.

I also didn't like the scene in the plane where Iron Man drops down and save everyone in mid air; dare I say that it didn't feel realistic or believable? There was an absence of real sacrifice as everyone no one really dies and the "bad guys" are more of a nuisance than legit trouble.

Aside from the mentioned above however, I really did enjoy everything else in the film. There was nothing that was negative about it, I highly recommend this movie and if you're a fan of the trilogy you will certainly love this more than the rest.

For me 8/10 an excellent movie, great visual and auditory experience. Excellent acting, the story works out very well, the flow is superb and although a few issues regarding visual time (for certain scenes) and "belive-ability", in others the overall message of Iron Mans struggle is well understand.
20 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Bryan Kluger23 August 2015
Since 'Iron Man 2' proved to be less than stellar back in 2010, this third adventure for the Marvel hero returns with a much-needed boost of attitude and character. 'Iron Man 3′, which can be also considered a sequel to ''The Avengers', takes us through many twists and turns and tons of new Iron Man suits. Director Shane Black tosses away some of the wham-bam action to focus on the quick-witted humor and our hero's internal struggle with crippling panic attacks. I have no doubt that this will be a fan favorite of the franchise and will light up the box office something fierce.

Jon Favreau serves only as producer this time, but appears as his recurring character Happy Hogan. It's known that Favreau turned the opportunity down to direct this new sequel (as well as 'The Avengers') due to creative differences with Marvel. Shane Black is famous for writing the screenplays for 'Lethal Weapon', 'The Monster Squad' and 'The Long Kiss Goodnight'. He made his directorial debut in 2005 with the wonderful modern noir 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang', starring Robert Downey. Jr.

As we've seen in his previous scripts, Black has an uncanny talent for writing stories with serious situations and characters, while at the same time being silly and over- the-top. The formula works, and is perfect for a comic book movie like 'Iron Man 3′. Tony Stark continues to belt out cynical remarks and make us laugh, even in the most diabolical situations. This cross between seriousness and sarcasm seems to be a trait of every character, particularly Stark and Rhodes (Don Cheadle), who both show their much different sides in and out of their respective suits.

We start out with Stark narrating a past event from New Years Eve in 1999, where he attended a party in Switzerland with fellow scientist Maya (Rebecca Hall). They run into the odd and clingy Aldrich Killian (an unrecognizable Guy Pearce), who wants to talk with them about something new he has developed. In perfect Stark fashion, he stands Killian up for a one-night stand. We cut to present day at the Stark mansion in Malibu, where Stark has not been sleeping and spends his nights tinkering with his Iron Man gear.

Meanwhile, Pepper Potts (Gwyneth Paltrow) is the head lady in charge of Stark Industries. Head of security Happy Hogan (Favreau) follows her around and makes things run almost too smoothly. Stark himself can't be bothered with any of the bad news in the world. He's too preoccupied with his panic attacks and fumbling with new Iron Man related projects. Even mass bombings around the world and the hacking of the world-wide television networks by a bin Laden-type terrorist known as the Mandarin (Ben Kingsley) don't seem to phase Tony.

As Pepper is at the office, a now handsome and suave Killian tries to persuade Stark Industries to team up for the old project he tried to get off the ground back in Switzerland. Pepper turns him down for reasons unexplained, but things seem a little off. Then, maybe hitting too close to home these days, a bomb goes off at the famous Hollywood Chinese Theater, killing a bunch of people. Amongst the victims is Happy Hogan. He's survived, but is badly injured.

This sets Stark off, which leads the terrorists to show up at his mansion with a swarm of heavily armed helicopters that literally destroy everything. (It's not a spoiler if it's shown in all the trailers.) Tony regroups in Tennessee without any fancy gadgets or an Iron Man suit. For a good chunk of the film, he has to rely on his brains rather than his machines to fight back. He even has the help of a lonely kid (Ty Simpkins), as they slowly figure out what is causing these bombs and who's really behind this terrorist regime.

This is my favorite Downey performance of any of the 'Iron Man' films. While still the same snide yet funny, charismatic yet somewhat offensive hero, Stark is forced to be the hero he has become without any of his usual money, technology or resources. In one scene, he reminded me of Batman, as he used his intelligence and bravery to scale a mansion and easily take out his foes. Then we have Stark being his brash self, who's not above calling a kid a pussy or threatening to run him over with his car. Downey just owns both Stark and Iron Man. I believe this was the role he was born to play.

Cheadle is also great as Rhodes this second time around. He gives more depth and insight into both sides of his character, Rhodey on the one hand and War Machine on the other. Pearce shines here too. I haven't seen him do such a great job since 'Memento'. Kingsley looks like he had a ball with this role. Every time he appears on screen, I yearned for more. Paltrow has much more screen time in this sequel, and we finally get a glimpse into her relationship with Tony.

It's truly great to see Tony Stark rise to the occasion without the suit and deal with the deep-seated issues that have plagued him since the beginning. The script is witty, funny and smart, with brilliant and memorable performances from everyone. The film has some stellar action scenes on land and in the air that will leave you on the edge of your seat, drenched in sweat and wanting to see more.

In true Marvel fashion, stick around until after the final credits scroll to witness a few more minutes that are quite amusing. 'Iron Man 3′ is a great addition to the Marvel universe, and might be the best 'Iron Man' film yet.
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Marvel's version of The Dark Knight Rises.
Andrew Miller28 April 2015
After watching the first two Iron Man films and The Avengers, I thought that Iron Man 3 would be just more of the same with lots of action and not a lot of story. Man, was I wrong. Not only is this movie the best out of the Iron Man trilogy but it's also one of the best MCU movies period. From it's witting and humor to it's darker story and how it delves into the character of Tony Stark, Iron Man 3 is a truly phenomenal comic book movie.

Following the events of The Avengers, Tony Stark has been suffering from PTSD and has been having nightmares as a result; meanwhile, America is under attack from a terrorist group led by The Mandarin and after Stark makes a threat to the fanatic on national TV, his entire world is destroyed and Tony must use his knowledge and inventiveness to rebuild his life and find those responsible.

Rather then John Favreau directing this time, Shane Black takes over and brings a much darker tone to this film while managing to to juggle all the somber moments and the comical moments with ease while also showing us how we can create demons in our lives, but, we are also able to dig ourselves out of the messes that we create. I've heard a lot of people complaining that this film focuses too much on Stark and not enough on Iron Man, I personally like my superheroes to be more human and have depth to them, not just flying around in suits kicking ass all the time not to mention I loved seeing Tony step out of the suit and be a sincere person. The film does such an excellent job diving into Tony's psyche showing us the effects of the Battle of New York on Stark and how he's having a rough time handling all these new surprises like the presence of aliens and the fact that he's a superhero and is beginning to fear that without his suit, he's unable to protect those he loves from danger and as the movie moves along, he is required to use his brains and intellect to crush his opponents, and eventually, it is he who makes the suit not the other way around, echoing the worlds that Steve Rogers asked Tony in the Avengers that even without the armor, Tony is still Iron Man. I've also heard a lot of people complain about the Mandarin plot twist, personally I loved it and it worked really well because mostly because I went into the movie knowing almost nothing about what would happen so when the twist came at me, I was shocked but not in a negative way. The way the director and the writer had Killian produce a false extremist to frighten the whole country in order to lure interest away from himself but also to aid his own agenda is nothing short of mind-blowing and is easily one of the best plot twists since the I am your father twist from Empire Strikes Back.

As with the first 2 movies, the cast is sport on: Gwyneth Paltrow is a fine contrast to RDJ as Pepper Potts, not to mention she gets to be in on the action rather than be a clichéd damsel in distress. Don Cheadle doesn't have a lot of screen time in the movie as Col. James Rhodes, but he still does a wonderful job and I loved how Black creates a Lethal Weapon type relationship between Rhodes and Stark. Jon Faverau is also wonderful as Happy Hogan. Guy Pearce is fabulous as Aldrich Killian and while he does come off as a little underwhelming at times, I found his performance quite threatening throughout the film. Even Ben Kingsley did a great job in this film, he is very intimidating when he's The Mandarin, but when it's revealed that he isn't the Afghan terrorist, Ben goes to town and he is clearly having a great time with the role, but it's Robert Downey Jr. who makes these movies worth watching. By now, Robert has become the personification of Tony Stark/Iron Man so much that I can't see any other actor playing this role but him. The persona that he injects into the character is perfect. The charisma, humor and charm that Downey brings to the role is a treat to watch and it adds an element to Iron Man that wouldn't be possible without him in the role.

The visual effects are stunning, The musical score by Brian Tyler is truly fantastic by being much more foreboding then the previous Iron Man films, but is also much more musical, plus the main theme is a total joy to listen to. The humor is also wonderful and while a lot of people whined about that too, it makes the film a lot less dark and gloomy and more fun to watch particularly the banter between Stark and Harley Keener, and yet the humor never distracts from the more somber scenes and at the same time, always feels welcomed. While there isn't a lot of action in this movie when compared to the first two, there are some stand-out moments like a bold attack on Air Force 1 in mid-flight which leads to a thrilling action scene where Iron Man has to save several people floating in mid-air and fly them to safety. The other is at the end where we get to see all of Stark's suits in action.

I will say that Iron Man 3 isn't the horrible movie all the nay-sayers have been labeling it as, I really loved this movie and the direction that it took with it's story and it's message. So, ignore the crybaby fanboys and give this movie a watch. It's certainly one of the best comic movies of the last few years.
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Comic-book cinema how it should be: fun!
BA_Harrison11 January 2015
So often, the third movie in a blockbuster series such as this proves to be a disappointment, but I found Iron Man 3 to be just as entertaining as the previous two films, if not more so. It's full on entertainment, pure and simple, packed with stunning effects laden set-pieces, loaded with great performances from a cast who know not to take matters too seriously, and bristling with snappy dialogue.

Most importantly, perhaps, it's laugh out loud funny, which, in turn, means it's a lot more fun overall than many a recent superhero movie. I came out of this one feeling like I had seen a real comic-book brought to life rather than something masquerading as meaningful and thought provoking (The Dark Knight trilogy, I'm talking about you!). The film's light-hearted moments also make it much easier to accept the more outlandish sequences, which is a good job because the mayhem here is turned up to eleven, with more crash, bang and wallop for your money than ever before.

I do, however, have one gripe with part three: the ending suggests that they might not be making a part four. As far as I am concerned, they could keep on making Iron Man movies indefinitely just so long as they are as enjoyable as this one.

8.5 out of 10, rounded up to 9 for IMDb.
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Excellent comic action film; watch it!
MovieSonic10 December 2013
It took me ages to watch this because of all the conflicting reviews. I thought it was going to be as bad/boring as Terminator Salvation or The Dark Knight Rises.

This film was fantastic! Easily the best of the Iron Mans (although the first will always be 'the best', this one is repeat-watch-worthy).

Now that I know how awesome this film is, I think the negative reviews make more sense: they seem to focus on things like 'but the bad guy isn't the same as the comic' or 'that's not believable' etc. so let's ignore those because that's just irrelevant. The film can still be good without sticking 100% to the comics! I can't believe some people complain about the realism when we're dealing with magic and flying iron man suits but okay, let's mark the film down because the hero didn't break his back quite enough in that scene?! I've given this a ten because the story progresses brilliantly, there are so many extra scenes included that you would normally expect to be edited out to keep the running time down but the fact that they're left in means the film has a well-rounded feel to it. Contrary to some opinions, I like that the woman has the chance to save the day instead of 'just' being eye-candy (Gwyneth wears the most amazing white office power-suit ever; congrats to the designer), it is a bit patronising to just have one scene of saving the day but it's better than nothing. One of the bad guys (Guy Pearce) is building a great profile for himself as being someone to watch out for as he might just steal the show! This film had it all, yes there's a cute kid, but this is Iron Man so it never gets cheesy and actually there are some hilarious scenes between Robert Downey Jr and the kid. There's loads of humour and the action is great.

Everyone gets just the right amount of screen time in my opinion and I'm actually going to watch this again which is rare for me.

10/10 as it's an excellent film - not perfect but excellent.
A great beginning to phase 2 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe
JamesMitchell45112 August 2013
Iron Man 3 had a lot to live up to, coming off of, one of if not the, best superhero movies ever. Does it succeed? Yes. Marvel's "Iron Man 3" pits brash-but-brilliant industrialist Tony Stark/Iron Man against an enemy whose reach knows no bounds. When Stark finds his personal world destroyed at his enemy's hands, he embarks on a harrowing quest to find those responsible. This journey, at every turn, will test his mettle. With his back against the wall, Stark is left to survive by his own devices, relying on his ingenuity and instincts to protect those closest to him. As he fights his way back, Stark discovers the answer to the question that has secretly haunted him: does the man make the suit or does the suit make the man?(Disney) The script is really good, it contains great dialogue, a good interesting plot, great humor and wit, and a bad ass plot twist (More on that later). Robert Downey Jr. is once again incredible as Tony Stark, and everyone else in the cast does good in their roles as well, especially Ben Kingsley. And the film also contains some bad ass action scenes and great special effects. Now to address fan complaints. First of all: This is a look at Tony Stark's character, a look at in his inner demons. Those of you complaining about him not being in the suit enough: You are damn morons. Like, you really need constant action? And now the big one: The plot twist (Spoiler Alert!!!! Please move on to next paragraph if you don't want the plot twist laid out of you). This is a movie IDIOTS!!!!!!!! Naturally they are going to change crap. Let's be honest here: if they had stuck to the comics, and had a stereotypical Chinese terrorist going "Ah, Iron Man, ah" China and the rest of Asia would have been in an uproar. You know why? Cause the character of the Mandarin was based off of Asian stereotypes. And comic books and movies are a completely different medium, you have to expect some stuff to change. And the Mandarin story line in the comics was honestly pretty cliché and predictable. This is THE MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE, not the comics. You want the comics? Read the comics. There are a few problems though: The true villain is kind of generic, and the pacing of the film is a little bit too fast for my taste. Iron Man 3 is a great summer blockbuster, a great entry into Phase 2 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe that kicks it off with a bang, and a worthy follow up to the Avengers.