The Hustle (2019) Poster

(2019)

Far worse than you can imagine
ambudde10 May 2019
An obvious ploy to have the viewers pay for Hathaway and Wilson's vacation in Spain. This movie made me question if I had ever liked any of their films. I thought the trailer made it look harmless enough, but now I'm blind in one eye, I've broke out in hives, and my dog won't fetch.
211 out of 280 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Um..are you freakin kidding me
boardy-5510314 May 2019
I figured I'd give it a try because it's supposedly a remake of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. And Dirty Rotten Scoundrels being an A+ movie classic , I thought it would be worth the risk. Well I was dead wrong and this movie is absolute drivel. Poorly written disgustingly acted terrible paper thin jokes. Even the music was just awful awful. Hollywood has been ruining the good names of so many good things such as Star Wars and the Marvel Universe. Even Game of Thrones has been gobbled up by Hollywood and turned into absolute drivel. But this piece of s*** takes the cake. I no longer have any respect for Anne Hathaway which I always appreciated as an actress. Don't waste your money.
39 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
REALLY REALLY BAD!
chuckinparis14 May 2019
Save your money. It's not at all funny. I can't believe the studio green lighted such a lousy script and made even worse.
43 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointed
ilovefoodcoma13 May 2019
Well.... I think the trailer is more funny than the movie itself. The script is not well written. Not many funny scenes and the acting..... was not impressed. At first I had high expectation because of the two main characters and was hoping to see great chemistry. Unfortunately it didn't deliver.
32 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dirty Rotten Movie
C-Younkin10 May 2019
The Hustle is a remake of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Nothing about it seemed to have been marketed very well.

And now we know why. It's only 90 minutes long, but it feels like just a fast paced brush through of scenes that worked better before.

it robs it of wit, of funny, and also of any real purpose or sensible plotting, and i'm confused as to who this is meant for other than the Rebel Wilson fan.

And speaking of Wilson, is her 15 minutes almost up yet? It's gotta be. She's fine in small doses in those Pitch Perfect movies but insufferable in any kind of leading role.

She plays the Steve Martin role here and where Martin was charming, Wilson is deeply, deeply unpleasant. She's gratingly loud, infantile, idiotic, and falls back on slapstick fat jokes way too often.

My one defense of her is that she seems to be taking the crap even Melissa McCarthy doesn't want but even still, there are solid comic performers who have shown something even with weak material but she's been terrible so far.

Anne Hathaway on the other hand should just know better not to go anywhere near this. Like in Oceans 8, she's a highlight, but she wrongly has to play second fiddle to Wilson.

And this is yet another female remake that sets itself up as "the femaing this to actresses?les are going to get back at the men." Did these people even know the ending of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels?

Even so, these characters here make all the wrong moves. Like the Wilson character even tells the Hathaway character that she's a con artist. Why would you do that?

Well the reason she does it here is because she mostly just cons men and she tells the Hathaway character this because of course another woman would sympathize with conning men.

This is a movie that also seems to think con artists also need to be knife throwing ninjas. What it never really does prove that either one of these two women are competent enough to string anyone along on a con.

And if you thought they wouldn't do a Ruprecht scene, well, they did. And it's not just a pale imitation, it's an embarassing failure in nearly every way.

They also do a Dr. Schaffhausen scene and I will say it's probably the one time here where the movie shows some of it's own ingenuity.

Overalll the few times where it does try to do it's own thing, it goes bust, and it's plot copies not just yield diminishing returns but make you think why does Hollywood keep do

They sell this is some sort of female empowerment but the movie is not just unfunny, it also doesn't even seem to understand the concepts that made the other movie great.

There are people who can write new, interesting, funny stuff for women. Proving you can do what a man can do is not the same as doing an exact retread of what men have done.

If you liked this, check out Craig James Review on Youtube for more
82 out of 116 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
CRINGE
bencrea9 May 2019
Really bad, acting is terrible and it feels like everyone working on this film thought it was funnier than it really is. I left 3/4 or so into it to get a stiff drink with my friend.
105 out of 152 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow...ouch!
scubachik9922 May 2019
While I like the concept of remaking Dirty Rotten Scoundrels with women as the scoundrels, the writing, casting and everything else about it was WRONG!!

With as many British actresses as there are, don't hire an American to try to pull off a British accent...it's just stupid.

Though I like Rebel Wilson in some things, this was NOT one of them.

Slapstick is sooo 1980's and that is what this was. I can't believe Hathaway accepted the role. The writing was terrible!!

It was very "simple". Those who liked it or thought it was funny, should not tell anyone you liked it, because it makes you look as "simple" as the movie.
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I wanted to enjoy this, it's bad, very bad
YRLY59E19 May 2019
I'm a fan of dirty rotten scoundrels. This is just bad, many of the same jokes with much much worse delivery, so all the fun is mostly gone.
16 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
hustle you out of your hard earned
meltyson699 May 2019
This was just awful,unfunny,cringeworthy...the list goes on.Do these people that make this crap actually watch the finished product.Part of it's hopelessness is rebel thinks she's just sooo funny & sooo talented,well the reality is a total polar opposite tries too hard & just too smug just falls terribly & utterly flat.I mean someone chuckled once & on the way out I've never heard so many 'oh my god's & 'well that was pretty bad'.Even Hathaway was quite awful more wooden & tried way too hard than Wilson,its a stinky unfunny turkey
89 out of 134 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ridiculous!
karlycarman14 May 2019
Only went to see this because of the main actors but even they couldn't save this movie. Anne Hathaway's accent was so cringey! The 'story' was just ridiculous, not funny at all. A few people even left half way. Go see something else.
29 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So I may be swimming against the stream...
rob-201610 May 2019
...but I thought it was very funny! Admittedly in a bum on seat, brain in neutral, don't expect to be stretched way. Nearly every review I've seen criticised some aspect of the film... Anne Hathaway's English accent was not accurate, but I thought it was ok... nearer James McAvoy than Russell Crowe. Rebel Wilson not funny? I beg to differ! We are talking slapstick rather than satire but I was kept amused and actually laughed out loud a few times. Not as much as my daughter who was in stitches practically the whole way through but enough that I knew I was watching a comedy. This film is never going to appear in an academic text on theory and practice of cinematography or even a 500 films you need to see before you die list but It is great if you just want a kick back and relax session.
106 out of 165 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Waste of time
keychain_n_bookmark16 May 2019
I love Anne, I love Rebel, but I hate this movie. Anne's English accent was cringey, if it she tried to be funny she wasn't. Rebel is just being Fat Amy, so there are some Rebel's humour in it. The plot is stupid, the acting is nadah and I was comtemplating to leave the theatre. Don't waste your time and money on this Hustle.
24 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow, I went in with zero hope and it was still an absolute let down.
dianes-thai17 May 2019
Save yourself some time and go see another movie. Like, anything would be better than this. I should've just gone to see Endgame for the second time.

The plot was absurdly dumb and sloppy. I felt so offended as an audience, and honestly surprised how this movie even got approved by whoever's in charge. The acting was painful to watch. Rebel Wilson - I've never really taken her seriously to begin with, it's just her being her, per usual. Anne Hathaway - that. accent. was. just. begging. for. a. slap. The whole movie just bothered me so much I really wanted to walk out right in the middle; and I was sitting in a fancy recliner seat!

Even as a silly comedy -- the jokes were so bland and lame. Totally expected and the movie was just so painful that I couldn't laugh, I mean, the biggest joke here was me paying the money to come see the movie, seriously.
26 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Painful
cgearheart20 May 2019
I already don't like Rebel Wilson (aka female Jonah Hill) and Anne Hathaway, but this film somehow made me dislike them more. I understand that the film is supposed to cater to likes of women, which I can respect, but it's hard for a woman to like a movie that's chock full of toilet humor, fart jokes, and 3rd grade gags. On top of that, it caters so much to the gluttonous fantasies in humans that it becomes even more cringeworthy than it actually is.

F
22 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"The Hustle" will hustle you out of the movie theatre.
SnobReviews21 May 2019
"The Hustle" marks another flop from Oscar winner Anne Hathaway (see my review of "Serenity" from earlier this year), and another film from 2019 to toss in the trash.

In this comedy, two scam artists team up to take down the men who have done them wrong.

Overall boring, predictable and unoriginal. There is great star power from Hathaway and Rebel Wilson ("Isn't It Romantic") and the horrid script from "The Hustle" wastes the talent at hand. I chuckled a few times but this film is a major let down and is not recommended.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Do not waste your money
sienna-5843712 May 2019
It was the most cringe, uncomfortable movie I've seen in a while. Confusing plot with loose ends and characters were not believable. Don't be fooled by the trailer, because all of the semi-laughable moments in the film are what the trailer consists of. Big let down.
36 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Only just passable
KathleenK229 May 2019
It lacked oomph. We need so much now when the movies are of such high quality. The acting was not the issue rather the script they had to work with. There were only a couple of belly laughs, and others that were funny but not hilarious. The setting was fine as well. Some nice views were on show. With comedies they have the opportunity to be ridiculous and far fetched with some superb lines thrown in for effect and to give good actors a chance to shine. A few twists and turns that you cannot see coming also helps. The actors were let down I think. The storyline needed to be more complex. The very best comedies are multi layered and clever. This one lacked all that unfortunately. There was little tugging of the heart strings as well. That can be omitted for a comedy but it helps as well. In depth characterisation was not there either. I did not connect much to any of them. There were a few surprises but I had guessed them or saw them coming. Maybe keep it for a TV movie later on. It is not in the realm of the fine comedies!
36 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just awful
inskyfire3 June 2019
Do yourself a favor, watch the original and save your money. I am so tired of remaking the old movies and catering to women, and yes, I am a women. Not everything has to be about women. Somethings are better left alone. This movie was one of them. It was bad!
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unenjoyable and Bad
amcgraw-9974622 May 2019
I wanted to like this, but unfortunately it was terrible. The story was super thin, characters were over the top and there was no real character development, the jokes didn't land for me, all very predictable. Was not even a good bad movie, pretty unenjoyable to watch
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A nice change
ronfernandezsf11 May 2019
While not an academy award winning movie in any way, it was funny and refreshing like an old fashioned movie. Thank God no Marvel, or sex scenes or F words, or car crashes or special CGI effects. Wish there were more movies like this where you can enjoy a laugh without cringing or seeing another special effect. Loved Anne Hathaway. Her accents alone are worth the price of admission. So enjoy a good old movie with a plot that is funny and performances that are arresting. Don't listen to the bad notices. Everybody wants to see blood and guts nowadays. What a tragedy.
44 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I wanted to like it...
jobseekingstan28 May 2019
I guess the problem is that my wife and I had just watched Dirty Rotten Scoundrels with Steve Martin and Michael Caine - Very entertaining. We have seen this one several times, and it is still one of our fav's, coming in with a 7.3 rating on IMDb.

It became immediately apparent that 'The Hustle' was a poor remake of 'Dirty Rotten...', and it was not hitting our funny bone at all except for the one clip that was used in the trailer. Other than that, the plot was the same, but different (feminized).

And, in the original, the MASTER scoundrel turned out to be a woman. I have decided I'm not a fan of Rebel Wilson.
Sir a Michael was right.
mmceleney25 May 2019
Several years ago, Michael Caine suggested that rather than remaking hit movies, the studios rewrite and produce remakes of bad movies to make them better. In the last 6 months Ann Hathaway has appeared in two of the biggest flops (Oceans 8 and The Hustle) of the year. Maybe it's time to stop acting in remakes and start doing originals. Would have rated 0 if able.
Boring
ziadsayah13 May 2019
No sense of story. Silly movie. Not all funny just a bit. They can do better.
I thought it was great
taylorepp12 May 2019
No, it's not Oscar worthy film, but it always feels like movies are being held up to that standard.

I like a good stupid-funny movie to balance out all the intense (and over produced) movies out there.
48 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
TOTAL FAIL - See Bedtime Story instead
lauraashley-7663414 May 2019
It was supposed to be a Smart-Crime-Comedy NOT Slapstick-Comedy-B film! Go see the original in this series: Bedtime Story (1964) With David Niven and Marlon Brando. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057878/

After being completely disappointed by The Hustle in this remake of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988), Bedtime Story had me on the edge of my seat laughing again! Brando shows us true Hollywood comedy and his performance nailed the theme without being silly like Martin or Wilson.
13 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.