Blitz (2011) Poster

(2011)

Solid but lacks real impact and benefits greatly from the stars involved
bob the moo23 January 2012
Brant is a no nonsense copper. Frequently in trouble for violent conduct, he drinks hard, smokes where he likes and can't operate a computer and sees typing to be like cooking – women's work. He is pretty much on his last chance whenever someone start killing police officers. The killers calls himself Blitz and informs a journalist that he intends to kill 8 more officers; meanwhile Brant joins his boss Nash to try and catch the killer before he strikes again.

Bit of an odd film this; it sort of does enough to be entertaining but at the same time it seems to want to pull in a direction that doesn't really fit the material, while also rather fudging the darker drama that it also could have been. The end result is a bit of a muddle but it is solid enough to get by. The film starts with Brant taking on some yobs and then is followed by a scene of him being tough in the face of the department doctor – so far, so much to be expected. Unfortunately for the film, the rest of the plot doesn't really lend itself to this sort of cop – he feels like he would be more at home in more of an action movie. So when Brant is around the film is a little bit cheeky and a little bit tough, but otherwise it keeps taking odd paths. So for example the entire thread with Falls seems wasted – her drug use, her relationship, none of it seems to fit into the rest of the film.

This rather muddled feel also leads to the film not quite delivering in any specific way. It feels like it should be a tough-talking action movie, but yet it never becomes one. It feels like there are character-driven aspects to be had, but yet you never get to the heart of anything. It sort of does a bit of all of this well enough to get by – but this is what it is doing, getting by. The actors help it greatly, even if their presence may also have guiding the film down certain roads. I think this specifically about Statham who is a strength to the film while also being a possible factor for the confused approach. He does "Stratham" and does it well and kudos for a guy getting Hollywood money to be coming back to the UK to make movies. He is a real presence in the film but too much of it seems geared towards his performance when it should have gone other ways – he is still good, but he should have gone with the film, not the other way around. Considine must have signed on to a different script, because he literally does nothing here – such a great actor and he has a role that has so little to it that anyone could have done it. Gillen also seems to have a lack of material – he is OK but the film never lets him be more than who he is the first time we see him. Ashton is good as her struggling addict, but the film does nothing with her so her hard work is wasted. Morrissey has little to do – again I presume the script that he signed to was more intelligent that it turned out to be in the final version? Blitz is an OK film because the main plot is solid enough and Statham is grizzly enough to keep things going. However there is a lot of wasted potential here in the actors and in the various plot threads – it feels like they had more than just a basic police thriller in their script, made a better but more complex film but then ended up cutting it back to be a film that would appeal more to those coming to see a "Jason Statham film", even though bits of the previous film were still included whether they worked or not. Solid enough to fill the time, but somewhere in that editing room there is a much better film than this one.
20 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jason Statham hunts a cop-killer in London
Tweekums16 January 2017
DS Tom Brant is a tough south London cop is a reputation for getting rougher than is strictly necessary; as we are introduced to him he is dealing with a trio of young thugs with a Hurling stick. Soon he, and just about every other police officer. Is looking for a man who shot a police woman in cold blood. It isn't long before a policeman is also killed and it is apparent that somebody is targeting the police. The killer, who refers to himself as 'Blitz' contacts a reporter and makes it apparent that he intends to keep on killing police officers. Acting DI Porter Nash is put in charge of the case and working with Brant they close in on the man Brant is convinced is guilty; unfortunately the evidence required to hold their suspect isn't strong enough. In a secondary plot thread PC Elizabeth Falls, who works under Brant, it trying to help a youth who is in trouble as well as deal with a drug habit she picked up while working undercover.

This is a solid enough police thriller that fans of Jason Statham will probably enjoy; not surprisingly he plays tough cop Brant… anybody who has seen any of his films will know what to expect; he may not have the greatest range but what he does he does well. Paddy Considine does a good job as Nash; a gay cop who avoids any clichés. Aidan Gillen is suitably menacing as the killer but not as impressive as he is in 'Game of Thrones'… although to be fair that would be difficult. Zawe Ashton is good as PC Falls as is David Morrissey as reporter Harold Dunlop. People wanting full on action may be a bit disappointed but there is still some action as well as some fairly brutal violence. Overall I'd recommend this to fans of Jason Statham; it isn't his best film but it is still a decent way to pass an hour and a half.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
" I have a memory of the Past, but it's all black . . . . . . like my future "
thinker169111 November 2011
If you get a chance to read the novel written by Ken Bruen upon which this movie " Blitz " is based on, you will miss quite a lot in the transition. Even though the movie is graphic, the book is more so. In addition, the main character Detective Sergeant Tom Brant (Jason Statham) is definitely more violate and his partner DI Craig Stokes (Luke Evans) is revealed to be more incisive and meticulous. Indeed, the suspect called 'The Blitz' (Aidan Gillen) reads more intelligent, clever and evasive. Having read the book and seen the movie, I will say that both are dark and similar to the point of eeriness and memorable. The movie is a black insightful look into the mind of a serial killer and with Statham chasing him through the streets of London, far more exciting. The story is fraught with loose ends and indeed some are not resolved. Still, it is a good attempt of keeping the audience interested. Since Jason Statham is the leading man the finished product can be said to be dramatic enough to be recommended. ****
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good but not great.
Greenzombidog26 May 2011
A cop killing crim is giving the police the run around in old London town.

Blitz is a good movie that finally comes to life about 20 to 30 minutes in when we finally get to the main story. Once the chase is on with the odd couple partnership of tough rule breaking Tom Brant (Jason Statham) and gay straight laced Porter Nash (Paddy Considine) pursuing the cop killing criminal who's hungry for notoriety the Blitz (Aiden Gillen) the movie comes into it's stride. Before that we're inundated with so many characters it's a little confusing. What makes matters worse is that none of these side characters stories are ever really finished and the time wasted on them could have been spent giving a little more screen time to Porter Nash who is sadly underused.

Don't get me wrong though I enjoyed the film. Aiden Gillen is a brilliant bad guy, giving his character a Johnny Rotten swagger. I felt myself enjoying hating the Blitz and couldn't wait to see him get his just deserts but we could have done with getting a little more insight into his behaviour. Statham does a good job showing a little weakness now and then in his usually gruff demeanour. As I have already said Paddy Considine is great but not in it enough for my liking. London looks great and there is an exciting chase through the streets which is one of the high points of the movie.

I enjoyed the movie and would happily watch it again. It's biggest fault was trying to juggle too many story lines at once and unfortunately it dropped a couple of balls.
87 out of 118 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Loved This Movie!!
go_titans29 November 2011
Blitz is not getting much respect from reviewers on IMDb, and I'm very surprised by this. I loved it from the first minute to the last and ordered the Blu-Ray on line before the credits had even finished.

Statham plays an aggressive cop with an attitude, and if he's got a weapon in his hands (like a hockey stick) he'll wield it like a pro.

Paddy Considine plays a gay cop who's capable of taking the law into his own hands, and this allows him to work with Statham just beautifully.

Aidan Gillen plays a fabulous psycho with a thing for killing cops, and he's been one of my favourite British actors for the past 10 years anyway, so it would have been hard for him to screw this one up.

The action from the opening scene is great, Statham's lines are terrific stuff and had me laughing hard more than once, the odd-team Statham and Considine create is brilliant, the story doesn't get bogged down in personal problems, there are no annoying girlfriends, wives or kids to pull the actors and audience sideways away from the story (some directors seem to love putting that type of stuff in), the continuity issues others have mentioned are so minor they don't matter, the soundtrack was perfect, and the ending was everything I hoped it would be.

This film is never going to make the 'Greatest Films Ever Made' list, but its sure as hell fun to watch as far as I'm concerned. It doesn't beat around the bush getting started, doesn't waste time during the film, keeps up the fun, and what more do you want from Statham and an action film? To the film's detractors I say 'lighten up'! It's obvious from the first 10 minutes the film's creators weren't chasing Academy Awards, so why knock it so hard? It's meant to entertain for 90 minutes, and it does just that.
55 out of 73 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Meh
poc-127 May 2011
Some nice camera work, stylish blurring, but pretty clichéd police drama. Jason Statham does what Jason Statham normally does, he's utterly typecast as kind of British Dirty Harry, but it's not new anymore like it was in Snatch/The Transporter.

His sidekick is not nearly as interesting as the little guy in Snatch or the girl in Transporter.

Good work from Aiden Gillen (the guy who played Tommy Carcetti in The Wire) as the bad guy. Zawe Ashton is also interesting as a WPC with a drug problem.

Mainly the plot seemed a bit disjointed and contrived. Overall it felt like a TV police drama. Nothing special.
84 out of 121 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie is gritty, fun, exciting, suspenseful, and rewarding.
MR_Heraclius23 February 2020
I had not heard anything about this movie before I watched it. Overall this film is a pleasant surprise. Jason Statham is good playing a similar type of role he has played before. The script is unique and is interesting the entire way. I would recommend this film.
18 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Darwin In Action
Theo Robertson22 November 2012
I almost went to catch BLITZ when it was released at the cinema but was totally snowed under at work . People who had seen it said they weren't keen on it but never seemed able to specify why they didn't like it . By the time I did manage to get time off work it had been and gone from the multiplex in less than the space of two weeks which is never a good sign . Regardless of this I made a point of looking out for it and saw it earlier this evening It gets off to a good start with some tough nut pulling out a hurling stick and giving some knife wielding chavs a violent beating . The problem with this is that they're all actors in a feature film rather than people involved in a fly on the wall documentary . If it had have been a fly on the wall documentary called VIOLENT SCUM GET NUTTED I would have given it 10 out out 10 for the title alone but a drama needs a plot anything involving a plot in BLITZ gets .... well blitzed due to some poor writing .

First of all a gay detective relates a story to his colleague of how despite the greatest effort of his force they couldn't convict a serial paedophile because " we couldn't catch him in the act and the kids were too traumatised to identify them " Hmmmm might it not be a good idea to use forensics for example ? Instead of that the gay detective goes round to the paedos house to give him a good beating to the genitals . Yeah sure you did . Maybe he did and that's why the paedo got off with it - police brutality during an arrest . I guess this scene was included so we'd feel sympathy for the coppers but there's something bizarrely not right with this scene

Next up a policeman gets shot dead by the eponymous Blitz possibly on the grounds that his grammar isn't 100 % Maybe not a good enough reason for killing someone - unless you come on to this site and notice the illiterate scribblings of some people online in which case murder is justified . Interesting that the police are unable to get any leads with this killing . I mean camp bloke wearing yellow sunglasses and a purple jacket shooting a cop in a busy street in broad daylight is rare . So rare you think the police might have asked eye witnesses if they'd seen something ? I mean it's not like Nuremberg where no one heard anything , saw anything or knew what was going on. No the cops confine their identification to looking through CCTV only to conclude " It's like he knows what cameras are working . We can't get an ID on this freak " . Well you could asked the hundred people walking down the street if they'd seen the suspect . They're not even trying . Hardly surprising since at least one of them's a smack-head and the rest have got a drink problem . Hardly surprising that Mr Blitz is the cleverest character in the film . So clever in fact that he knows the address of every police officer in London

It's easy to see why a lot of people were disappointed with BLITZ . Of course if you went in to the cinema wanting to see Stathem blow away villains left right and centre you can understand the disappointment but I doubt if anyone was expecting an action-fest and the top quality cast is what drew me to the film . Considine's gay detective is only gay because the screenplay says he's gay and could be by any slumming journeyman actor rather than Considine . David Morrisey seems cast to make everyone forget he was in BASIC INSTINCT 2 but best performance is by Aidan Gillen which isn't saying much and I do wish he had a bit more screen time , a screen time that is composed of giant plot holes and police procedures so ridiculous you'd think you're watching a film about Darwin in action

Perhaps the biggest disappointment is that BLITZ is close to being a very good cop thriller that Britain rarely makes . Director Elliot Lester shows a lot of competence such as the scene where a policewoman lies in a pool of blood and then the rain splatters on the ground and Stathem is amusing as he dishes out one liners with a wry sense of humour but BLITZ should have been better
20 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It did not make my day
Prismark1030 September 2018
Blitz is a prime example of showing you how to waste an exemplary guest star. If you convince Mark Rylance (who does not make many movies) to appear in your film, then make the best use out of him.

It is another question as to how Rylance was coaxed to appear in this third rate Dirty Harry set in London rip off. I reckon it was a higher than expected tax demand!

Jason Statham plays tough cop Brant who beats up cartoon street thugs as he is in the verge of burnout. He teams up with Porter Nash (Paddy Considine) a gay cop tasked to find a serial killer hell bent on killing cops and boasting about it to a journalist (David Morrissey.)

The killer flamboyantly played by Aiden Gillen is not even kept a secret to the viewer or to Brant who encounter him early on in the film.

As a crime procedural it really fails as the police seem to do nothing to get evidence of any kind to build a case against the main suspect. This is London we are talking about which has more CCTV cameras than anywhere else on the planet.

The film has several subplots that really go nowhere such as a drug addicted policewoman, the grieving cop who lost his wife and the journalist who views the serial killer story as his big break. It really is filler to pad out the main plot.

Statham is onenote as the gruff Brant pretending to be Clint Eastwood.
12 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Passes The Time
seany_c26 May 2011
As fans of Jason Statham me and my girl saw this yesterday. I'm usually a fan of his over-the-top action films like 'The Transporter's', 'Crank 1 & 2' and 'The Mechanic'. I was surprised to see that this was something a little different from him. Well, a little different. Jason Statham is basically playing Jason Statham which is always good to watch in my opinion but here the film is played as a more grittier, realistic affair with lashings of violence and the occasional funny moment. Paddy Considine does well as the gay copper who teams up with Statham to try and napture a nutty killer who's targeting cops. Giving the films standout performance, Aidan Gillen plays the killer and is totally convincing in the role. It's not mind-blowing stuff but it's enjoyable and Statham fans will lap it up. ***/*****
43 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Immoral, gritty, strangely compelling
acutler31 May 2011
One of Statham's best. Jason, as usual, plays himself, although this time in perhaps his most realistic settings. No wires, no kung-fu, no sixth sense. Just an unhealthy, alcoholic, total b**stard of a cop.

This film starts out at best amoral, and I can only conclude by the end that it is positively immoral, with many things that are very objectionable. The few characters with hope or any redeeming qualities all get dragged down into the mire, and London has rarely looked so frightening and depressing and worryingly real.

And yet the film is compelling viewing. It won't do well because the action is not the point, and what action there is (and there is plenty) all has a bitter taste rather than the usual cathartic "it's an action flick" joy. Equally, because it is Statham, and the action is so prevalent, it will probably be critically lambasted. But it is really quite a thoughtful film.
72 out of 107 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A good action flick
nishesquire097 September 2011
This movie is an action packed thriller, one that should be enjoyed with a couple of beers in a man cave (with friends, of course). Some scenes are quite violent and gory, including depictions of dismembered body parts and brain splatterings. There are some hilarious moments that are perhaps more funny because the movie is otherwise quite serious. The main actor (Statham) plays his role well and has an edge about him that comes off as real. He had some nice banter with his homosexual boss, but thankfully there wasn't any suggestion of any sexual tension between the two (not because I'm homophobic, but because I think it would distract from the action too much.) The rest of the cast was average. The deranged killer was neither scary nor psychotic and I didn't get the feeling that he was really on a killing spree. I guess the bar of the deranged killer was set by the Joker from Batman. Overall, a good movie to watch once.
27 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Competent police thriller, set in London, with some nice cinematography
PhilidorPriestman25 May 2011
I fancied seeing a film on the way home from work today. When I arrived at the cinema this was the next film on. I went in cold, knowing nothing.

Funky title sequence, OK. Opening scene with Statham asleep on a couch – OK, so its one of those Jason Statham films, fine I can go with that; Hollywood action film with a perfectly watchable lead, nothing too challenging, just what I need to unwind after a hard day at the office.

It was at this point that the old memory cells started working and I remembered that I had read something about the film. Oh no, isn't this a British film, set in London? Yes it is. Oh dear. I don't want gritty, low budget, realism, I don't want east end gangsters, mockney accents and all too earnest attempts to be cool.

I was pleasantly surprised to find my fears unfounded. This is really quite a good film.

Someone is killing London police officers, Statham, a cop who doesn't play by the rules (is their any other kind?) is out to get him.

Statham does his Statham thing, and does it very well. The man is no Brando, but this is a very creditable performance. He is believable as his character, he does quietly menacing, he does humorous, There is also a fair bit of charm in his interactions with his boss. There are a few scenes where he enlists the help of a WPC (very well played small part – sorry can't remember the actor) to check computer records. I thought that the interaction between the two was very good and caused me to wish that we would see Statham in a more relationship based drama, rather than his standard action fare.

Aiden Gillen is very good as the deranged killer. He is obviously "not in his right mind" but Gillen's subtle performance and the breadth of emotions and he hints at keep him well clear of a pantomime "Psycho".

Paddy Considine is fine as Stratam's superior. Interesting to see the inclusion of this homosexual character where his sexuality has nothing in particular to do with the plot; he isn't a victim, there is no mincing, no angst he is just a straight (as it were) gay man. Very, very few incidentally gay people on the big screen.

Zawa Ashton was perfectly OK as a cop who became an addict while under cover for the drug squad. David Morrisey doesn't have much to do as the newspaper reporter whom the killer contacts to publicise his activities.

What surprised me about the film was how good it looked. The cinematography is excellent; nothing flashy, but at times quite beautiful. I have never seen London look so good on film. The fact that we were kept away from the usual tourist spots helped; no establishing shot here, sweeping up the Thames, taking in the London Eye, the Houses of parliament etc. No red London Buses (do they still have them?). Also, there was also no attempt to make the place look like America with aerial shots of skyscrapers etc. At the same time the film makers didn't go to the other extreme and have Albert Square, litter and kebab shops.

The action in the film is pretty low key in terms of spectacle, nothing blows up, nobody takes their shirt off. The violence is real rather than comic book stuff. For me, it comes across as real, rather than affected "gritty reality". (Now there's an oxymoron for you)

Now, I am not saying that this is a great film. It is an entertaining enough thriller, decently acting, with some very nice cinematography. I don't imagine that it will will a lot of awards. But, it does the heart good to see a half decent British film, that isn't trying to be American or (defensively) trying too hard to be British. We could do with a lot more.
112 out of 154 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"If you pick a fight, choose the right weapon."
rmax30482316 June 2014
This may get better as it rolls along and a plot develops. I wouldn't know. I shouldn't really be leaving a comment because I only watched the five-minute opening scene and the credits.

But if I can't tell you how it ends, I can give you some idea of how it begins. Jason Statham is a tall, brawny, bald-shaven brute with a mean expression. He's lying on his couch one night, looking bored, rises and glances out his window to see three hoodlums trying to force open the door of his car in the alley.

Cut. Statham strides slowly towards the thugs, carrying what he describes to them as a "hurling stick." They begin to spit curses at him and pull box cutters on him. They've never seen a dumb action movie or they'd know this is a big mistake.

Statham demolishes them with his stick and when they're on the pavement, groaning in pain, he kicks them and deliberately stabs a hood with his own box cutter. "Next time you pick a fight, choose the right weapon." The credits follow -- white block letters on a black background, spastic, dancing around, jumpy, manically mad.

That was enough for me. I'd already gotten the moral message. From now on, action heroes will have to be practically illiterate -- and very bald and sweaty.
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Coppers disconnect
p-stepien20 October 2012
English bobbies never have it easy. Especially in South London, where crime is unfocused and crude. Stress levels escalate, when a serial cop killer starts roaming the streets capping seemingly random coppers to his ever-growing collection. The local Dirty Harry - the crass, foul mouth and incessantly drinking at pubs while on duty DS Tom Brant (Jason Statham) gets recalled to service - after being recently suspended for a bout of vigilantism against a adolescent trio of car thieves. Despite apparent burnout Brant intends to pull through and implement some well-deserved on the murderer - one despondent psycho with severe remorse towards the bobby community Barry Weiss (Aidan Gillen). Together with new super intendant and privately queer Porter Nash (Paddy Considine) the net quickly tightens around the neck of postal Londoner...

Verging on some commentary on violence, which ventures somewhere along the lines of Dirty Harry type justice, director Elliott Lester attempts to instill a more sincere down-to-earth feeling. The criminal is far from brilliant, at times bumbling, but still managing to keep ahead of the even more incompetent London bobbies. Aidan Gillen's character falls to close to the Scorpio Killer, once again inducing a sense of kinship with the aged Eastwood classic. Nonetheless Jason Statham, basically a one role actor, fails to overreach into more dramatic territory, feeling much better in tune with crass one-liners and his general tough guy persona, making all attempts to diverge sound weirdly contrived. Together with a disinterested Considine and rather rough performances by other cast "Blitz" feels overwhelmingly hollow with any potential comment crudely covered by plodding story-build and uninspired writing.

The movie also features some of the worst procedural cop drama on celluloid, but then again maybe this is owed to overly perfect portrayals of criminal persecution in the United States? Having just one suspect the London police fronted by Brant and Nash fail to put him under surveillance or even bring him in for questioning, instead allowing Blitz to strike again. Police folly follows suit when they are unable to keep the suspect locked up due to lack of evidence - despite one police woman seeing the culprit murder a boy with her own eyes. Uneven, unfocused and clearly in search of better scripting "Blitz" attempts to connect a more dramatically induced thriller with a typical Statham adrenaline rush, wholly failing on both counts.
14 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Badly-scripted Statham detective outing
Leofwine_draca28 June 2013
BLITZ is a film with a plot that's all over the place. Ostensibly a Jason Statham-starring actioner, it opens with one of those 'only in the movies' fight sequences in which the Stath takes down an armed street gang who are busy trying to break into a car. As if to put across the message that this is set in the real world rather than the Hollywoodised action world of, say, THE TRANSPORTER, Statham then has to take a browbeating from his superiors and face up to the consequences of his violent act.

After a time, the plot begins for real, with a crazed psycho cop-killer on the loose. Said killer is played by GAME OF THRONES's Aiden Gillen in the manner of Ledger playing the Joker, full of wisecracks and irritating mannerisms; I'm not a fan of Gillen in such roles, and prefer him more subtle as Littlefinger. Eventually, Statham gets wise to this guy and starts to hunt him down.

The problem with BLITZ is a distinct lack of focus in regards to the plotting. Sometimes, it seems like Statham is a supporting player in his own movie; there's a whole, dragged-out sub-plot involving a female cop by the name of Falls (acted, badly, by Zawe Ashton) who's caught up in her own downward spiral. It has little to do with the serial killer aspect and it goes absolutely nowhere, other than to pad out the running time a little.

There are plus points too - Paddy Considine gives a sensitive turn as a gay cop, and there's a nice line in humour sprinkled through. I appreciated the vigilante-themed ending as well. But this is a film that keeps leading you down dead ends, with frustrating sub-plots going nowhere (another is David Morrissey's journalist, again totally extraneous to the story). It makes you feel like a lot was left on the cutting room floor...
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So unenthusiastic it hurts.
Matt_Layden22 August 2011
Brant is a rogue cop, like we've never seen one of those before, on the streets of London. He's got a serious attitude problem and he doesn't care. He's partnered up with a homosexual detective, to take down a cop killer.

I should have known Blitz was going to be your run of the mill Jason Statham movie and you know what? It is, but at the same time it manages to be a little different. Different how you might ask? Well, take whatever charismatic skills he had in his other roles, if there ever were any, all the fighting skills, all the chemistry with other characters and all the fun, that is what Blitz delivers and it delivers it in full. Take Statham's Transporter character, or any character for that matter outside of Snatch, give him less to do and more of an attitude and voilà. We have the lead character of a rather dull film that never made it to theatres across the boarder.

Statham isn't used to his obviously typecast potential. I am one for breaking down barriers in acting roles, but Blitz never tries to do this. I'd love to see Statham go the Arnold route and tackle comedy. Having him out of his element would be great, there was enough comedy in Snatch to make me think he could handle his own. Blitz is some kind of other monster all together. It takes this guy and never uses what he's good for. There are no action/fighting scenes. Instead we are treated to one rather lazy and not in the least thrilling chase scene. The biggest problem is how lazy Statham is here, it looks as if he doesn't even want to be in the film. Maybe he did it as a favour to a friend back in England? I would much rather see an unoriginal run of the mill Statham flick than this again.

Paddy Considine is the homosexual detective who partners up with Statham. This relationship is never explored. There is zero chemistry between the two, no conflict, no friendliness and no inner struggle. Zero balance and lots of apathy. The one bright spot is yet another unoriginal performance. At the very least it looks like Aidan Gillen is enjoying himself. He plays the Blitz, a guy running around killing cops. The reason is justified, but in the end it comes off as rather pathetic and not poetic enough. This film should have more broad and not as personal.

The biggest crime is how dull the film is, when is should be entertaining. This is probably the least entertaining Statham flick I've ever seen. It's not dramatic enough to be considered a serious film. It has subplots that have no relevance to the main point of the flick. Characters that come out of nowhere, have a few scenes and disappear again. An abrupt ending that doesn't wrap much up and a bored audience that wants their time back. Blitz is a film that I warn you to miss and stick to Statham more action friendly, Hollywood pictures. At least with those films you know what you're going to get.
15 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Blitz-When Ultimate Revenge is Sweet, Not Bitter ***1/2
edwagreen2 September 2012
It is very difficult at times to understand lead actor Jason Stratham is his role as a very tough British police officer. This is a very common occurrence in British films. The subjects speak as if they have hot potatoes in their mouths. This being said, the movie is a good thriller where a Barry Weiss takes revenge for the beating he received from our tough hero and goes on a killing spree of British police officers, shooting them in the worst possible way.

It appears that the cops are unable to protect their own, especially when a police chief, returning to work following the death of his wife, falls victim to Weiss.

The film also shows the weakness of the British legal system, quite similar to that of ours. When Weiss is finally apprehended, they must let him go. Yet our hero and his commanding officer take bitter revenge. It goes to show you that police rightfully have the last word.

The British police lady, a drug addict, ripping off fellow pushers, is a sidebar to the main story.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Dirty Harry" in London!!!
zardoz-136 March 2012
"Love is a Drug" director Elliot Lester and "Moon" scenarist Nathan Parker have taken author Ken Bruen crime novel and turned it into an exciting, suspenseful, and brutal police procedural about a serial killer who starts off shooting cops before he resorts to a hammer to get a bang out of his sadism. Brawny Detective Sergeant Brant (Jason Statham) is the tough-talking, no-nonsense, policeman who makes it his business to track down this ruthless fiend. This is a good, gritty, no-take-prisoners crime thriller that knows the motions to go through and delivers enough blood, gore, and violence to keep calloused armchair detective glued to the screen. Aidan Gillen stole the show from John Cena in "12 Rounds" and makes just as sinister an impression in "Blitz." In fact, the film takes it title from Gillen's psychotic killer who kills without a qualm.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ignore the ratings - Read the reviews
bfrost-829 May 2011
Having read the reviews, and agreeing with most of them, I'm a little surprised the film scores so highly. Surely it rates mid-range obscurity at best? The comments about unnecessary/unresolved sub-plots, completely unrealistic event turns, and lack of character depth are all absolutely spot on, as is the 'Ronseal' analogy. But the weak, predictable and incredibly rapid ending left us quite empty. It was more suited to an American TV series where an advert break happens just before 'Columbo gets his man'. There were also some terrible continuity gaffs, especially relating to time of day and weather (look especially before, during and at the end of the hotel to trains chase). Come on British cinema, you can do better than this!
82 out of 128 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Statham is a 70's stereotype trapped in a modern environment.
the_rattlesnake2531 May 2011
For the second time in eight months, Irish novelist Ken Bruen has seen another one of his hard-boiled crime stories adapted to the big-screen. While 'London Boulevard' contained a down-on-his-luck gangster attempting to go straight, 'Blitz' instead contains a more cinematic anti-hero, as Jason Statham plays a Sergeant who dismisses everyone, plays by nobodies rules and breaks every law under the sun while consuming large quantities of alcohol. It's disjointed, unintentionally hilarious, and more akin to a cinematic parody of the hit television series 'Life on Mars' than a serious British crime-thriller.

Detective Sergeant Tom Brant (Jason Statham) is a police officer with old school procedures and methods; he rules the streets with his fists rather than his head or his badge. But once a serial cop-killer (Aiden Gillen) calling himself the 'Blitz' starts roaming the streets of London, he must partner with acting Detective Inspector Porter Nash (Paddy Considine) to try and apprehend the culprit before the deranged psychopath seriously injures or even kills any more members of the London Police force. Alongside the main narrative stream, there is also a sub-plot involving a young WPC (Zawe Ashton) who must constantly battle her own personal demons.

The combination of a stale, almost laughable script and the rough, one-dimensional lead actor in Jason Statham instantly renders 'Blitz' as a sub-par crime-thriller. Brant is portrayed as a sexist, prehistoric homophobe who prefers to take witness statements in the Pub as he drinks a pint of beer while dismissing any concerns the witness has about his or her statements. Statham adds absolutely nothing to the character except the fact that he is willing to seriously injure or kill any possible (innocent) suspects without a second thought. His lack of emotion, constant drinking and persistent expression of repressed rage become incredibly old after ten minutes. However, if taken accidentally as a comedy, his hilarious one-liners do provide endless (and unintentional) comedic relief. When asked by a witness he is interviewing if he is taking down his statement, Brant casually removes his pint of beer from his lips before articulating the phrase, "does it look like I carry a pencil?" in a condescending manner. Police work at its finest, indeed.

Paddy Considine and Aiden Gillen do attempt to work beyond their restrictive character profiles, but within the confines of the film and its script, their characters aren't given enough creative freedom to truly provide any emotive acting. Gillen's motive behind his rampage of violence is never fully explored, nor is the initial homosexuality of Considine's character. While it is somewhat refreshing to see a homosexual character on-screen in a position of power where he is still seen as overcoming the prejudice exerted by his peers, he starts by flaunting mannerisms that many would find both stereotypical and offensive to many homosexual males. But once this is eventually toned down, his character, his sexuality, and his motives are allowed to be somewhat expressed and he becomes the one solid character in a sea of stereotypes.

Aside from the lack of depth in character, script or main plot, where the film also fails on an incredibly basic level is in the form of a sub-plot which simply provides no conclusion or relief alongside the presiding storyline. The audience is introduced to a young, up-and-coming female Police Officer called Elizabeth Falls who is shown to have had problems with drugs in the past, but the sub-plot simply ends there. During the final act the spectators are waiting for closure offers no explanation or conclusion to a character, yet the film expects the audience to form an emotional bond with the character and her plight.

If you replaced Jason Statham and his poorly crafted one-liners (including one in which he responds to a female police officer's quip in jest that she is surprised he can even navigate his microwave due to his technophobia with "women are there to use the microwave, and do the typing too") and removed the open-ended sub-plot then 'Blitz' would work perfectly as a made for television hour-long crime-drama. However as a theatrical release, this film is nothing more than a Jason Statham action-vehicle which masquerades as an inferior police thriller.
34 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gleefully amoral violence
krachtm30 November 2012
Jason Statham movies are like AC/DC albums. They may all be the same, but that's most of the draw for fans. Thus, complaining that this Jason Statham movie is just like all the others seems like a pointless criticism to me.

Now that we've got that out of the way, I'd like to comment on this movie. It's a Dirty Harry ripoff. Yes, that basically sums up the entirety of the movie, though, if you liked Dirty Harry, you'll probably like this, as well. There are certainly problems, but if you're the type of person who watches Jason Statham movies, you're not terribly likely to care much about plot holes, unrealistic plot devices, or other highbrow film theory.

Much like Dirty Harry, the protagonist is little more than a violent thug with a badge, tempered somewhat by a more sensitive, by-the-book partner. Put into a more realistic setting, instead of the stylized comic book worlds that he usually inhabits, Jason Statham's characteristic violence was highly disturbing and bordered on outright fascism. If this bothers you, I'd recommend you avoid this movie. The gleefully amoral tone of the violence made this movie difficult to watch at times.

If all you want is a violent action movie, this will fit the bill, though.
10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring movie out of a poor screenplay
rightwingisevil27 June 2011
Sorry, just couldn't connect with this poorly scripted movie. It's a poor adaptation of the 4.75-star rating on Amazon.com. If the novel was exactly the same as the poor movie, there was nothing to justify it to be adapted into a movie version. The cop killer in this movie was so clueless and meaningless, and the tough guy who played the maverick cop didn't show anything but a tough face from the very beginning to the end. The way how the cops got the cop-slain suspect was so vague and so simplified. The whole storyline of the screenplay was so boring and so disconnected from beginning to the end. The sound track was also so bad that gave you an endless hollow bang.bang.bang.dang.dang.dang tempo, so formulaic and so boring. The whole movie was just a worthless waste of time to watch. There's no reason to make this novel into a 1-dimensional bore-to-death British movie which, in my opinion, is even worse than the worst TV cop series ever made.
31 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nail-biting and violent thriller set in London, being well starred by the tough Jason Statham
ma-cortes16 January 2021
A two-fisted cop sergeant : Jason Statham is assigned by his new chief : Paddy Considine to carry out a dangerous mission : to track down a serial killer who has been targeting police officers in London by murdering them in cold blood. The murderer is nicknamed The Blitz and he arranges to slip throughout the grasp of sergeant every time and while the valuable lives of his partners are diminishing step by step . It's a deadly and lethal confrontation , a cop-killer versus killer-cop.

Intriguing and decent thriller movie with noisy action, grisly killings , suspense , chills , pursuits , and lots of violence. Jason Statham is nice in his usual style as the cop who is dispatched to take down a series murderer. Here Statham is top-notch as detective sergeant Tom Brandt , he plays following his ordinary manners as a tough and two-fisted guy , interpretations that have given him a considerable success, thanks to films as " Revolver" , "Crank" I and its sequel, "Transporter" saga, "The Expendables", "Killer Elite", "Safe" , "Homefront", "Wild Card", "The Mechanic" I and II, "Fast and Furious" 7 and 8, "Megalodon", among others . Big Star Jason Statham is well accompanied by a good support cast, such as : Paddy Considine as his chief and allied, David Morrissey as a sneeker journalist, Aiden Gillen as the really nasty series killer who steals the show, Zawe Ashton as a friend cop with dark addiction , Luke Evans as another fine police, the veteran Mark Rylance as an unfortunate police chief, Ned Dennehy, among others.

It contains an atmospheric and colorful cinematography , completely shot in London , as well as thrilling musical score . The motion picture was competent and professionally directed by Elliot Lester, delivering action and tension enough . This filmmaker is a fine craftsman who has directed some acceptable movies, such as : "Aftermath" , "Nightingale" , "Sleepwalker", "Love is the drug" , among others. Rating : 6.5/10. The picture will appeal to Jason Statham fans . Essential and fundamental seeing for thriller enthusiasts .
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really?!?
jonmccann30 July 2011
Let me tell you what Jason Statham is good at, so you get what I mean, he does the bad guy, with a heart, and great at action fighting scenes better than anyone today. What he is incapable of doing is good guy.

I really like Statham in the roles he plays as a bad guy, crank and transporter are great film series that have given him some real credance.

Playing an English cop in an English film is not his strongpoint.

That said, its not because of Statham this didn't work (although it doesn't help), I never read the book and have no intention of doing so, but I can only imagine the plot holes in the book are as bad as the film.

It's a film that deserves at best to be an itv feature, not a movie, in fact if they had made it that way it could have worked better.

Most of the acting was appalling, due mainly to the fact that the whole storyline was...A bloke is killing cops. Thats not a bad start, except the filmmaker tried to incorporate different story lines, without introducing a story, for example, we have a black female cop, who mentions early on she was undercver and out of rehab, but thats it, you're left to make your own story up about what happened!!! If I want to make my own story up, I would do so, not watch a 1hr 37 min film with the expectation they will do it for me!! This is very disappointing, because I expect a lot of statham, but him aside, it doesn't deliver anything but a budget bargain bin film. If you buy it for more than a pound, call the police, you have been defrauded!!
46 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.