Batman: Soul of the Dragon (2021) Poster

Evil is as eternal as a rock
nogodnomasters30 January 2021
This is a 1970's throw back. Batman is a martial arts student at a remote school. He teams up with other fighters to recover a sword from the bad guys.

The production included 70s style music as well as an homage scene to James Bond. Enjoyable for what it was.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hardly felt like a "Batman" animated movie...
paul_haakonsen26 January 2021
Right, well I had the chance to sit down to watch the 2021 animated DC movie "Batman: Soul of the Dragon", but I wasn't sure what to expect from it. Normally I am not overly keen on superhero movies or animated movies, but I still do watch them when given the chance.

And as chance would have it, then "Batman: Soul of the Dragon" was a swing and a miss, especially in comparison with some of the older DC animated "Batman" movies out there. Why? Well, because this particular animated movie felt more like a 1970s action cartoon with hippies more than it felt like a Batman story.

The art and animation style in "Batman: Soul of the Dragon" was actually good enough, but the storyline was just serving as a hindrance around the ankle of the movie, holding it back.

What does work well enough in favor of the animated movie is the voice acting cast ensemble, which includes the likes of Mark Dacascos, Kelly Hu, Michael Jai White, James Hong, Jamie Chung and Grey Griffin. Just a terrible shame that they were fighting an uphill battle against the atrocious storyline which utterly lacked that particular "Batman" feel to it.

I wasn't impressed with this 2021 animated movie, but managed to sit through it with my son, whom wanted to watch it. But this is not an animated movie that I will recommend you waste your time, money or effort on.

My rating of "Batman: Soul of the Dragon" lands on a mere three out of ten stars. This was definitely a swing and a miss from writer Jeremy Adams and director Sam Liu.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Edvis-199713 January 2021
It was a first movie of 2021 that I've seen so it's the best and the worst at the same time, lol. But for real, this movie is really bad. I will start from the title. The title of the movie " Batman: Soul of the Dragon" and we see Bruce Wayne with Batman costume for 10 minutes at the ending with no purpose at all. Going to the effects, characters, plot, everything looked like a cheap rip of 90s' batman movies, this one was so cringe to watch, it had no logic. The teacher looked the same as master Roshi from Dragon ball. I didn't get for what audience this movie was created. If this one was for kids then I don't get references about Hitler(because kids don't know who is he) and the woman at the beginning who "gives services" for money and gets killed, like is this appropriate... If film for teens and adults then it's so boring and useless. I really want my 80minutes of life back. I would never recommend to watch it.
26 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A quite entertain action film! Full of intense martial art fighting scene! Really should watch it! Well done!
kwenchow26 January 2021
This film start with a bunch of people playing poker, and a man "Richard" unlock the lift with a thumbprint scene! As turnout, this film is about Batman need to team up with his ally(Ben, Lady Shiva, and Richard) to prevent the so called Chosen One "Jeffrey" to release The Great Naga(Demon god) to their world! Entire film full of intense action scene! Such as, martial art fighting, explosion, things broken, car chase, car crash, bloody slicing, bloody shooting, bloody punching, and bloody stabbing scene! Make the film quite watchable! At the end, Batman, Ben, Lady Shiva, and Richard sacrifice themselves by went into The Gate to close the portal! That's it! A recommended film!
Really fun DC animated movie
masonsaul6 April 2021
It's barely a Batman movie and the ending feels really abrupt but Batman: Soul of the Dragon is still a really fun DC animated movie that's stylish, unique and fully embraces the 70s tone and setting. Mark Dacascos is great and David Giuntoli, Kelly Hu and Michael Jai White are all good. Sam Liu's direction is really good and once again, it's refreshing to have a different animation style to the one used for so many years. The music by Joachim Horsley is great.
Batman In Title Is Misleading For Otherwise Okay Martial Arts Film
jeremycrimsonfox29 January 2021
Batman: Soul Of The Dragon is the new Batman film that is said to be a tribute to martial arts films of the 1970's (especially the ones starring the late, but great Bruce Lee) and is an Elseworlds story, not affecting whatever the DC Animated Movie universe has planned for Batman in the universe started by Superman: Man Of Tomorrow.

In this movie, Richard Dragon seeks Bruce Wayne's help after learning millionare and cult leader Jeffrey Burrhas possession of a gate and is now looking for Sword Breaker, a muramasa sword once wielded by O-Sensei, who was one of Bruce's teacher during his training to become Batman, now wielded by Lady Shiva, the crimelord of Gotham's Chinatown district. When the sword is stolen, the three must team up, joined by Bronze Tiger, to stop Burr, a.k.a. Kobra, from opening the gate and releasing a serpent demon whom he believes his is destined to be the early avatar for.

Yeah, while this is an okay martial arts tribute, the film is far from good. The title has Batman in the name, but sadly, this is not much of a Batman film, as Bruce appears for most of the movie, however, he does not put on the iconic Batsuit after assembling the team and preparing to enter the island, but even so, he still feels like he is more of a side-character, as Richard Dragon feels more like the focus (as he is the one who discovers the villains' plot), but Batman got top billing because Batman is more recognizable than Richard Dragon, which means more sales. Also, the voice actors are hit or miss (While Kelly Hu and Michael Jai White do a good job as Lady Shiva and Bronze Tiger, as those two roles are reprised from previous DC media, I don't get how David Giuntoli, an actor who is known for 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi, and Grimm, was chosen to voice Batman in this film, as his voice does not have the same charm as other VAs who voiced him in previous movies). As a martial arts film, this is okay (even though the pacing can be bad, as most of the film is basically flashbacks about Bruce training with the others under O-Sensei), but as a Batman film, it is a disappointment, as Batman is only there to add a recognizable name so the movie can sell.
Not a batman movie
vjnambu18 January 2021
BSOTD focusses on bruce wayne's days of martial arts training under o sensei along with other students like Shiva, Richard, ben, jade and rip. In present time, the villain steals the gate of bruce's training temple years later. At this scenario, bruce, richard, shiva and ben reunite to protect the gate. Batman fans will be surely disappointed watching this because batman/bruce is here a passive character and dons the cape just to cover his skin, but not me. Because there are enough badass characters like shiva, ben etc to keep me engaged. My favorite character is shiva. Film has loads of martial arts based action which i loved. And dc is as usual at their best in animation. On the whole, BSOTD is a very good action movie with 82 minutes of solid entertainment.
0 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm Asian, Richard the Dragon is Suppossed to BE WHITE!
Dark_Lord_Mark26 January 2021
Poor animation, music was nice.

Tried to be a 70's era movie, and it's not really about Batman. I get it, they needed Batman to push Richard, but yeah...

They pushed a few too many feminism lines, because DC/WB is Communist propaganda.

It's about finding a Dragon or Fighting a group of dragons. It's a mix of Blaxploitation and Kung Fun....but it's really a bit anti-White, Anti-Male. It may have worked before DC went full SJW, but because they did, it simply doesn't.

It's not altogether bad, but still, not great. There are too many main characters, it should have focused on Richard and Bruce, but they are trying to push identity politics, so the movie was very unfocused.

5 out of 10 at best imo.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This ain't a batman movie
aastikhimta21 April 2021
If you have batman name in movie then you should give him a lead role . The plot was below average from starting and you will get disappointed how this goes. Could've been better if they had good writing team. Sorry Dc this wasn't lit.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice concept though not executed as well
Darkjak0074 March 2021
Batman soul of the Dragon is an else world story that puts Batman in the 1970s. As he team with old Classmates to stop a cult from taking over the world and releasing a demon. The team Consist of Batman,lady Shiva,bronze tiger and Richard dragon. The film is pretty standard for a story like this. There's an evil snake organization that wants a sword so they can release a demon from a realm and that's it. Wish that there was really something much more compelling to say about the movie but that's not really the case. One thing people will catch on real quick is that really batman isn't really the focus of this movie it's more set around Richard dragon, Who's not bad (even though he's supposed to be white),but really the focus should've been more set on developing him, less on making you think Bruce is the chosen one. As for the others lady Shiva is very stern serious and deadly as she always she has a serious stoic look on her face before she kills. Bronze tiger's not as violent as he is in the comics has his outburst here in there but also some funny one liners. The villains overall are a disappointment while the idea of a cult is a good idea for the time to be it the 70s when cults&Satanism was beginning to make an appearance. However the Kobra cult just isn't all that interesting ,and is rather boring. It seems like the best option for this movie would've been to go with the league of assassins as the villains .That would be more appropriate given the fact that two of the characters in this movie are assassins in the comics. The 70s theme of the movie is done rather well there's music very with the times very disco opening scene parachuting out off a cliff and with credits that are similar to Roger Moore's 007. Small references to Bruce Lee are in there. With a final fight That's just bland and ends abruptly. Overall Batman soul the dragon is all average movie that has good fighting scenes & music. With moments where the characters have their time to shine but overall it just doesn't deliver on what a Batman fan would expect with the Kung Fu theme.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Batman: Enter The Dragon.
Ashitaka13713 January 2021
I really liked this Batman animated movie; it's different but the story is very well told. One of Batman's biggest asset is being an exceptional martial artist; and this movie didn't feel out of context, to me; it felt more like an homage to a great era of martial arts movies made popular by Bruce Lee, and that inspired many people including comic book writers; like for the Richard Dragon main character(in this version), and Shang-Chi character on Marvel side; or even video games characters like Liu Kang in Mortal Kombat or Marshall Law in Tekken (among many others) .
12 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This will be a split DC animate flick, older watchers will likely enjoy it more
MoistMovies13 January 2021
Just read the other positive reviews, they sum it up well. This was really a surprise homage to all the 70's kung fu and spy flicks. Not something you see in live cinema anymore thats for sure.

Sure it wasn't perfect. But for anyone thats watched enough films from the 70's early eighties.. will dig this enough that its a good once watch. Some DC animated films I've rewatched a few times. But the stories were much more complex than this and they were better films. I've seen them all.. so in comparison from the worst DC animated films to the best this one sits at a solid 6.5 But I'll give it an edge to push back a little against negative reviews. Tho i can understand why a younger generation wouldn't like this one or understand the context as much unless they were a kung fu film fan. Also, No idea why this was rated R.. I've seen so many PG-13 films with tons more blood and violence than this had.. And I think if they did add more to the violent aspect of sword fights and killing by beating to death, it would have shown this was a film meant for the older DC animated film viewers. So far none of the R rated DC animated films have really taken advantage of that yet.. The Killing joke being the best example and the worst example of animation.. This film had the classic 90's animation but spruced up for the quality of animation standards today, same style tho.
10 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
That's so 70's
rdamian196315 March 2021
WB delivers a decent story with a super strong 70's vibe. However it isn't much of a Batman movie. Unfortunately the quality of the animation is about that of a late 70's Saturday morning rendition of Super Friends. The story is gritty and has a dark tone if modern DC shows and movies. So come on, WB, bring us better animation
Bruce Wayne meets Bruce Lee
phoenixinvictus15 January 2021
It was better than I expected that it would be except for the cliffhanger ending.
What a Giant Waste of Time
HadiAryan071 May 2021
The story is not about the title character (Batman), in fact there is no story, this one is not even for 5 year olds, with zero realism in it.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stop crying.
ben-mckimm18 May 2021
Why is everyone crying because batman wasn't in it enough? I've seen reviews that talk about how good it is, but not enough batman so it gets 3 stars... What? It's like saying that the first act of batman begins wasn't good because there wasn't a batsuit or a batmobile. Films can't be good until batman is dressed as batman doing batman stuff. I liked it. Really good throwback story, well acted and doesn't outstay it's welcome. Good stuff.
Sam Liu does it again!
bosscain17 January 2021
If there was anybody that could honor the great legend Dennis O'neil of the DC comic book universe, its Sam! This movie is a tribute to his legacy, to that of the films of the 70s such as James Bond, Bruce Lee, and Shaft. To those crying about how there wasn't enough Batman in this movie, that's because there was no Batman movies made in the 70s. So this is true to form. It was actually Dennis who keep the story of Batman alive during that time with his comic book writing to which we wouldn't have Batman movies today! So to those who blindly whine about something they obviously know nothing about, show some respect and do some research before you go opening up your uninformed mouths.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Messy Batman Cheese from the 1970s
clarkmick3315 January 2021
Batman: Soul of the Dragon is a mess ... is it trying to be a Bond film? Bruce Lee film? Shaft film? Karate Kid film? ... I know the animators were trying to go with a 70s vibe but the cartoon style is ugly and lazy! Think pre - Batman Dark Knight 90s animations. Some of the dialogue is super cringe with 70s disco talk and the eastern culture mish mash especially the stereotypical master training them ... Batman looks like he is travelling in China then for some reason he is training in a Japanese style Dojo. Is Richard Dragon trying to be Bruce Lee? Is he Bruce Lee under a different name? I did not get it? Just weird! DC should stick with their immersive animations like Batman Gotham by Gaslight and Batman Ninja
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Super 70s Kung Fu Justice league type fun
mickdansforth14 January 2021
Batman, Richard Dragon, Lady Shiva and Bronze Tiger join forces in a very 70's adventure.

Bruce Wayne lives downtown instead of out at Wayne Manor, like in the 70's comics.

Richard Dragon is more or less the main character.

There's parts that feel familiar to Snake Eyes/Storm Shadow, Daredevil vs The Hand, TMNT, and others. There's also some bad guys who I think GI Joe or MOTU made action figures of.

If you have seen and liked the trailer, you will enjoy this movie.

This movie is a good time.
7 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
For a movie with Soul in the title, it's unfortunately lacking one
spmact13 January 2021
This was a mediocre Batman movie. Apart from the fact that Batman is barely in it (there's much more screen time with Bruce and the rest of the team), I didn't really care about the characters and story.

The one positive is that it shows some background on Bruce's martial arts training and elaborates on why he can beat up a lot of bad guys, but other than that it was pretty generic and forgettable.

It seemed like they just wanted to team him up with Bruce Lee and Jim Kelly, so they set it in the 70s. There's a move Richard does in the movie that makes it obvious they modeled him after Bruce Lee (with a bit of James Bond thrown in).

Ultimately I didn't care about the good guys or the villain, or even Batman himself, which is a shame because there have been much more interesting Batman animated movies.

Give this one a pass unless you're a hardcore Batman animated fan and want to watch them all.
17 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why call this a Batman movie
dontakeitpersonal4 October 2021
I think they mixed up titles. Batman showed up after an hour. It was much more a Bruce Lee movie that just 'happened' to have a friend that is Batman.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not worth my time
veinctor13 January 2021
I saw the entire thing. Batman is a side character in his own movie. Batmans story is retconed once more, since he now apparently has friends he trained with in the 70s.

If you want to see average action and a generic story with supernatural beings that ends up in an unsalvaged cliffhanger, go for it.

Dear WB. There are good Batman stories out there. Pick one oft hem next time. Like Cataclysm!
5 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The world needs better writers asap
Hazu2924 January 2021
The animation is good, the fighting scenes are great, the 70s vibe is cool... But how about the story? What is this? Do these writers know what they doing? Could they watch some old movies to learn something please... This is getting so boring, all the movies are all the same nowadays. Just put some political and social stuff and mix old characters with modern culture, done, lazy writing.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So much potential
a_sad_cow9 June 2021
So much setup for so much let-down. And it is really good setup too. We have a morally ambiguous character (Richard Dragon) who is somehow friends with Bruce Wayne, which should develop and evolve into something but somehow we just 70s funk our way into nothing. Don't get me wrong, the 70s thing was cool, but it really jumps the shark.

This film had so much going for it, and it's like they stopped trying after they got the greenlight.

Did O-Sensei build and select an appropriate group of students? Why and how did they go bad (if they did)?

How does Batman rectify his morale code with that of Richard Dragon?

What inspires Richard Dragon to transform into a "good guy"?

There's a lot of good in this film. The power dynamic between O-Sensei and his students is appropriate at first, then blatantly appropriate in his choice and proof of Shiva as recipient of the coveted sword. There's plenty of good quips between characters, and the fight with Ben was particularly well done.

It really feels like the writers stopped trying after the film got greenlit. Everyone else did their part, we just wind up with a conclusion that's just...meh, even halfway through, and it doesn't recover.

I'd rate this higher from other studios, but this is DC, and you've proven yourselves better on multiple occasions.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Definitely worth it !!!
igl-555607 February 2021
It is certainly not what you'd expect from a Batman movie, but it is definitely worth it ! This approach was very interesting, I was entertained throughout the whole 83 minutes.