Evil Dead (2013) Poster

(2013)

Fede, you've done us proud
videorama-759-8593914 February 2014
In all fairness, director Fede Alvarez has come through successfully on remaking this 81 cult horror, that sees a group of young campers, possessed by evil spirits from that notorious book that should never been opened. With another attractive cast, who deliver realistic performances, especially the heroin addict sister, the film too is beautifully shot in the cold misty woods of New Zealand, and this works wonderfully, cinematically, I might add. This was the biggest thing, I must say, that really impressed me. I must admit I was disappointed at one aspect, as I thought it would be full on throughout, much like Evil Dead 2, (my oldie favourite) where everything just goes crazy and you can't think straight, but there's enough blood shed in this to satisfy you gore lovers. The highlight is the girlfriend cutting off her own arm with a chainsaw scene, with the boyfriend (Fernandez) asking "Are you okay?" There are some nice touches of humour here I liked that worked better here, than the original, and the slipping on the tongue scene was inventive. What was good was the catalyst of the story, the reason for them all being there in the woods, as to comfort the young heroin addict girl, one, her brother who's managed to show up here, hot girlfriend and all. Shiloh Fernandez's character irked me some, while not even managing to make his mother's funeral, months prior. How he become the hero near the end, and braved up, I liked. Though of course with not the greatest script that I've actually read part of, here's a well shot remaking of a notorious horror, that of course, can't surpass the original, but comes pretty close. But in this present, it's a guilty pleasure on another chain, it's chilling opening, brilliant, not letting us forget how frightening and evil the original is. And like this remake, among others, these are what mostly opt for. Great end credit sequence, with an afterword from Bruce Campbell.
35 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I wasn't expecting much, rather surprised.
Sleepin_Dragon2 August 2018
We seem to be in a time where the remakes of remakes will be remade, even films like Cabin Fever aren't remaining sacred, the obligatory remake follows.

Evil Dead now is a remake with a bit of bite, of course it has every possible cliche under the sun ticked off. We have the obligatory character coming out of the ground with long stringy hair, we have the trapdoor, the book of death, and of course the vomiting. Despite all the blatant lack of any sort of imagination Evil Dead somehow manages to capture the imagination, and provide ninety minutes of quite thrilling entertainment.

The scares are plentiful, and the acting is such that you believe in the pain, physical and mental, it really is quite well made. Effective use of special effects and music.

Not a film I'd look to watch on a regular basis, but it's somehow rather refreshing. 7/10

Please enough with the remakes though.
41 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you like bloody movies, this one is made for you!
andrewshieh071213 June 2015
Evil Dead is a remake of the 1981 original "the Evil Dead". I didn't have the chance to watch the original yet, so I'm going to review this without comparing it with the original.

The movie actually starts out pretty slow, for the first 40 minutes there isn't any creepy parts and it actually bores me. Usually, movies start off slow to develop they're characters or stories, however, I find the first 30 minutes unnecessary. However, Evil Dead deserves its wait. Evil Dead has some of the goriest and most disturbing scenes I've seen in movies. There's blood EVERYWHERE and the movie make them look real good! The movie mostly uses makeups and proves that a bloody movie can stand by its own without CGI.

Another thing I like about Evil Dead is the directing. There are many beautifully-shot scenes which makes the movie very enjoyable. For example, the director sets the cameras in different angles, such as the floor or close to the wall, which makes it extraordinary from other films.

On the other hand, Evil Dead lacks character developments, but for its own sake, bloody horror doesn't really need character developments. Characters make stupid decisions and eventually will die out one by one, so it's not really a big deal.

There isn't really a plot or twists in Evil Dead. Everything is presented directly. If you haven't watch this without watching the trailers, the movie is what you thought it will be.

Evil Dead is enjoyable for a movie night if you do not care too much on the details. Just sit back and enjoy the gore, it's real fun.
23 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Groovy
creepysammich5 September 2013
So I've read here and there that this remake lacks the camp of the original. And I look back over 20 years ago, watching The Evil Dead on a crummy rental VHS, in the dark of my teenage bedroom one night. The camp? The original Evil Dead was a terrifying experience, even with Bruce Campbell's over the top performance, the film was a scare-fest, a terrifying trip even nearly ten years after its release. The camp was in Evil Dead 2, an horror comedy remaking the original already, technically.

This remake finds many way to bow to the original, aside the obligatory visual quotes. The use of practical effects, notably, in an era of CGI- filled movies, is extremely refreshing. The gore feels painful, makes you cringe, churned my stomach. It successfully palliates a somewhat shallow characterization that makes it difficult to root for the characters (with the exception of Mia, who owes a lot to a really visceral performance by Jane Levy.)

And this is where Evil Dead 2013 took me by surprise. After roughly a first half of the movie taking Evil Dead fans by the hand towards hashed and rehashed territories, making them doubt that this was a good idea at all, the movie lets go of your hand and you're alone, in the middle of the woods, and it's dark and there's strange noises all about... and then limbs start flying.

I won't get into conjectures that the highly conventional and overly familiar first half was made that way with the sole purpose of placing the audience in their comfort zone, only to give more impact to the second half... but I would surely ask Fede Alvarez if I was to interview him.

Evil Dead 2013 is a treat for the fans of gore and horror, in any case. Another reminder that out of ten awful remakes, sometimes one rises to the top and delivers. Not for the faint of heart, for sure, but if you're a true horror fan, and even more, if you miss your old school, gruesome gore rides, this one is for you.
117 out of 175 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent re-imagining of a classic
N-Weiss909 April 2013
I have to say I'm very surprised at all the negative reviews I've been reading. I'm an avid movie lover, frequenting the theaters at least twice a week if not more. Something about being able to just sit back in a dark room, with a big screen and great sound. It's just good fun. Movies are enjoyable, not all are realistic and I think that's the point. If I wanted something realistic, I would watch a documentary (which I do on many occasions).

I think a lot of the reviews are being very unfair to this movie. I have seen the original and I loved it. Especially when I first saw it as a kid, it scared the crap out of me. But we have to remember that we are in a new age with different technologies and expectations. I bet that if the original was released for the first time right now, it would have been shot down even more than this "remake." Although I love the original, the effects don't scare me like they used to. And people who complain about the acting and script of the new movie? Come on. It wasn't perfect, but it's nowhere near as bad as others are making it out to be. And Jane Levy was absolutely AMAZING in this film. I would watch this movie over and over again just to see her act.

People are judging this movie too harshly. Was this movie enjoyable? Yes. Very much so. Were the effects good? The effects were A+ and the score was magnificent. Would I see it again? Yes. I would go see it again at the movies AND buy it as soon as it's available on Blu Ray.

This movie is not meant to be a remake of the first, rather a reawakening of an old and classic evil. Watch this movie with an open mind and you will love it. Watch it and compare it to the original? You will hate it, because they are not the same movies. Both were brilliant, but I would be lying if I didn't say that I enjoyed this version a lot more than the old one. Acting by Levy was perfect, gore was fantastic, scares were good, and the movie had my attention all the way through.
193 out of 320 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Being a huge fan it's an enormous pleasure to watch.
Hellmant9 April 2013
'EVIL DEAD': Five Stars (Out of Five)

The first five star movie of 2013 is this long awaited reboot to writer/director Sam Raimi's 1981 cult classic original 'THE EVIL DEAD'. It's a loose sequel that finds a new group of young adults stumbling across the 'book of the dead', from the original trilogy, in the same cabin that iconic hero Ash and his friends did in the original two films. Raimi and actor Bruce Campbell (who played Ash) have returned as producers of the film (along with their buddy Robert G. Tapert, who produced the original three films). Raimi picked Fede Alvarez to make his feature film debut directing and co-writing the film (along with Rodo Sayagues and Diablo Cody). It stars Jane Levy (from TV's 'SUBURGATORY'), Shiloh Fernandez, Lou Taylor Pucci, Jessica Lucas and Elizabeth Blackmore. Levy plays Mia and she's supposed to reprise the role for two more films, the last of which is supposed to link this new film series to the adventures of Ash and the original films (following a 'ARMY OF DARKNESS 2' movie). I grew up on these films and am extremely excited to see Raimi and Campbell picking the series up again and think they're off to a great start.

The story picks up 30 years after the original 'THE EVIL DEAD' film ended with a new group of kids going to the same cabin so Mia (Levy) can try to detox and get over her opiate addiction. Her friends Eric (Pucci), Olivia (Lucas), Natalie (Blackmore) and brother David (Fernandez) are there as well to help her get through it. They come across the 'book of the dead' (the Naturom Demonto) from the original films, in the cellar and Eric foolishly reads from it (despite several warnings not to). He of course awakens the dead and Mia is possessed. The others originally think she's just going through withdrawals but they soon find themselves being taken over and killed off one by one as they fight the deadites for their survival.

The film was made on a budget of just $17 million (which is a lot higher than the original film obviously but a pretty small budget by Hollywood standards). The filmmakers decided not to use CGI (except for touch ups) and filmed for 70 days. The results are definitely rewarding. The film really has that 'old school' classic slasher film feel to it and it's surprisingly loyal to the original films (in style). It's lacking the power of a performance like Bruce Campbell's but it is really funny and satirical (more so than the first film I think but not it's sequels). The violence and gore is out of control (It was first rated NC-17, like the original) and it really is a true hardcore horror film; it's truly exhilarating and relentless. I think the filmmakers did about as good a job as they possibly could rebooting this classic series and being a huge fan it's an enormous pleasure to watch. I have no real complaints; it's a masterpiece just like the original film and it's sequels!

Watch our movie review show 'MOVIE TALK' at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn0mEP_zzoQ
167 out of 294 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
awash in blood and graphic violence
trashgang30 May 2013
Let be The Evil Dead (1981) be in my top 5 list of best horrors ever. So I was waiting until the evil came out to finally see another failing remake I thought. But have heard only positive things about the remake I had my doubts. At last, after a lot of stupid remakes this one kicks you straight in the face. In fact, it's based on the original one. Bruce Campbell and Sam Raimi were involved in making this flick and Fede Alvarez (the director) did a great job for his first full feature.

Let me first of all say this. If you can't stand extreme gory horrors than stay away from this flick. It contains shock gore just for the gore. If you thought this was going to be a supernatural ride then forget it. This is really one for the gorehounds.

Does it look like the original Evil Dead. Of course not. Back then a few effects were done with stop motion. Here we luckily have the real effects and okay, here and there some CGI which I didn't mind at all. But to go back on the original. Yes, it do has the chainsaw, yes it do has the slapping door, yes it do has the evil faces from back then and yes we do have the woods attacking a girl, but not raping her like in the original.

Was it scary? It never was scary at one moment but still, you will watch it with your mouth open. From the opening sequence you are immediately into the Evil Dead ride. Why I do give kudos to the director is that he made the movie he wanted to make but to please the old school fans he added references to the original.

The acting of course had to be good too and luckily it was. But did they do jokes like in the original. Not really, that was left out here, admit it, we are 30 years later!

Finally, I'm happy to see that they didn't give a sh*t towards the ratings. They made Evil Dead as they wanted to make it, it's full of red stuff. Not done like the new horrors with digital animation. This is old school, this is great, for me a must see for the buffs walking this earth. Finally horror is back with some evil dead to show you....

Gore 4/5 Nudity 0/5 Effects 4/5 Story 4/5 Comedy 0/5
94 out of 169 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic! Please read.
Tylertbusby27 April 2013
I created an account just to review this movie. As a hardcore movie fan I felt as if the reviews of this movie where extremely underrated. This movie is intended for hardcore horror fans and is probably the most gruesome movie I've ever seen. Tops rob zombies movies even. If you watch a ton of horror and want to take it to the next level yet still have all the classic elements, watch this movie. It had all the elements to make it a great yet modern movie while having enough modern day elements to blow you away. I am a self-proclaimed horror fanatic and this movie is was able to keep me on the edge of my seat covering my face, I've never had that experience my entire life until this movie. See. This. Movie.
101 out of 186 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Im honestly baffled by all of the bad reviews
gregoryginal10 April 2013
(IDK if there are actually spoilers, but I want to be safe, lol) I am constantly seeing oh its not original, it's not scary, it's not this, it's not that. I saw evil dead when I was about 11, and have loved the trilogy in whole for as long as I can remember. These movies hold a special place in my heart. Hearing of the remake, I was terribly skeptical like everyone else was, but the movie pretty much lived up to everything I wanted to see in this movie, a REMAKE. I feel somehow just because Bruce wasn't in it, people already start to lose interest, I don't know why. I realize this is my opinion, but as someone who's a fanboy, or whatever its called, of this movie, I really want to know what people were wanting out of this movie, sure some stuff that I wanted to see weren't in it, A newer, incredibly grotesque Henrietta, with the original "someones in my fruit cellar", or a dancing headless corpse would have topped it off for me!! The acting I thought was pretty good, The story I felt went along with the originals, with a few tweaks here and there, but nothing to really change the flow of the movie, But why I gave this movie a perfect rating is the constant nods to the originals, even including original sound bytes from evil dead 2, and probably one or two others that I cannot think of. What also made this movie great for me is that while it was missing Gimme Some Sugar Baby Ash (You have to respect the mans reason for not being in this movie, even though I like to think he could've done it, keeping my fingers crossed for Army of Darkness 2) I found myself seeing Ash in all of the characters, besides Olivia, but maybe I didn't pick up on the nods she had to Ash if there were any. However, If I could complain about anything with the movie, it ended up making sense to me in the end (*Hint* Cleansing, Electric Shock) However I think of Evil Dead 2, Where Ash is a Deadite, then he is fine. It may not run along the same lines exactly, but I like to think that's what they thought when writing the movie. All in all, we must realize that the stage set for the production was on a whole other level, the original first evil dead was quite a low budget movie made in the early 80's, Evil Dead 2 seemed like it had a better budget to work with, I am guessing they had an even better budget for this movie than any of the others. It seems they at least tried to capture the feeling of the originals by sticking with on screen effects, rather than CGI.

If you want to go see a movie that is a creepy, gory, absolute blast of a time to see. I am going to go see it again because I did not stick around for after the credits. They knew us screwheads wanted this, and they delivered, with what I believe is a movie that has used the most fake blood to date, and to that, I say Groovy!
112 out of 216 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dead on arrival
Im_Disappointed25 March 2013
Why why why why why did I get excited for this film? Why do I keep doing this to myself? A horror remake with modern gore effects and a fresh take on the best the eighties have to offer. It has to be a winner right? WRONG! This is the latest in a long line of horror remakes that just fails in almost every dept. Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Halloween. Elm street. Omen. Hills Have Eyes. I Spit On Your Grave. The Fog. Fight Night. Friday 13th. Amityville. I kid you not, i paid to see them all. Lined up for pre screenings or opening midnight showings. Always excited. Always disappointed afterwards. In many cases, I was more gutted than the slasher victims on screen. The only two remakes that were decent was The Thing prequel and The Crazies.

At least Evil Dead didn't skimp on the blood and guts. There was plenty. But it did not have an effect. Too much of something may as well be none at all for the impact on the viewer.

My biggest gripe is it just wasn't scary. I was pumped when I saw the promo posters saying it was the scariest film ever. But it wasn't even the scariest film I have seen this week. The cast tried, but they were either too drab and lifeless when alive or overacting and too animated when dead. Happy medium reached NOT! All in all, they would have been better off leaving the original film as is, to show what a great low budget horror film should look like. now when teenagers hear of the horror film 'Evil Dead', they will think of this pile of trash instead of a verified classic.
263 out of 536 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another throw-it-in-the-pile generic modern horror remake with no identity of its own
robinson-w-walsh5 April 2013
There was a time that I gave horror remakes the benefit of the doubt. The Dawn of the Dead remake wasn't so bad for what it was. The Fright Night remake actually did a decent amount of justice for its source material. But then, you stop and realize how short Hollywood has come up in terms of original ideas and cool scares. Nowadays it seems to be a) remakes b) torture porn c) possession movies(these have got to go) d) more remakes. Heck, the last original and clever horror movie I saw was Cabin in the Woods, which was actually a horror themed comedy rather than a true horror film.

Sadly, the Evil Dead remake turned out to be just as disappointing and toothless as I expected it to be. No, this film does not improve on the original. No, it does not become a good horror film in its own right. Yes, you have seen pretty much everything in this film before. Yes, you're better off watching anything from the original trilogy.

I read an interview with director Fede Alvarez which had him say something along the lines of "When I saw the 80's Fly, I didn't care about the original 50's version. That was the Fly to me" OK Fede.....point taken. But the 80's Fly was directed by David Cronenberg, who at that point was already a seasoned director who had over 10 years of experience under his belt and who is known for innovative styles and concepts. Alvarez has none of that. As I understand it his background is mainly short films. Perhaps I should familiarize myself with his previous work, but let me just say he does nothing to make Evil Dead his own movie. All I saw were some nifty lighting choices and camera angles.

But then again, there's nothing about this Evil Dead that makes it it's own movie. You have impossibly hot actresses who still look hot even when they're shivering and drenched in gore. You have the same hyperactive MTV-style editing that any supernatural or slasher film these days has. You have poor attempts at making this a "serious" film. Seriously, the original was about rapist trees and crazed demons! How "serious" does it have to be? You have any number of tropes and clichés which make this an ultimately forgettable affair. And on top of that you have no actors or characters who grab the eye. Imagine that Ash's sister Linda was an irritating coke addict instead of a weird psychic girl. Then subtract Ash. There's your Evil Dead.

One thing that made the original have such charm is that it wasn't just a low budget film, it was practically a student film! I know....it's a big fanboy gripe, but I found myself longing for the original whilst sitting through this Bruce Campbell-less bore fest.

The hype machine and rent-a-critic tactics will likely make this a relative box office success. I hope it is a last gasp.
200 out of 403 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not for stuck up fan boys or the weak-hearted
richard-quannon24 April 2013
I went to watch this movie with some friends on the opening night. I was impressed that some people had to walk out of the movie after certain scenes. By the end , I was so satisfied with the movie and everyone in my group enjoyed it that we agreed it was the best horror movie in years.

If there is something that really annoys me, is the fan boys, and a reason i decided to make a quick review on this movie is because of them. It was clearly stated that it was going to be completely different from the original trilogy and therefore all ties with them had to be broken if they wanted to make a GOOD movie. Don't get me wrong, but the original three should not be considered horror movies at all, they are so cheesy as watching any of the scary movies.
95 out of 183 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
At least 10 stupid things about this movie...
HudsonsSkull12 April 2013
There are definitely more but here is at least 10...

1- After the nurse says that they've done this before with Mia and they know she will do anything to get away, no one thinks to hide the vehicles keys in a safe place? Probably even left them in the ignition too because it looked as though she just jumped into the car and hightailed it out of there.

Stupid.

2- They have a crack addict with withdrawal symptoms and who's mother was mentally unstable roaming about in the cabin, but they leave a shotgun and shells they found in the cellar lying around?

Stupid.

3- They find a cellar with dead cats, an ominous book, blood all around and a shotgun with shells and they don't think to head back and notify the authorities that there might have been a possible crime that took place there? Thinking to themselves, "That's o.k., we're here to help Mia so who cares if there might have been a murder in this cabin."

Stupid.

4- The Evil needed 5 souls to manifest itself, but I only count three or four at the most. The girl at the beginning doesn't count because the Evil was put back in hell, if it wasn't, Eric wouldn't have needed to read a passage in the book to release it once more now would he? The dog was killed by Mia with the hammer, it was never possessed. And if it were possible to possess animals, then why not just possess a bunch of forest animals instead to get his 5 souls?

So that's three souls from the moment the evil was released by the incantation, Olivia, Natalie and Eric. Mia? No, her soul was returned to her body or she wouldn't have been alive at the end to fight the abomination. I'll be generous and give you David as well since he died in the cabin fire with the others, but this nonsense I'm reading about the Evil getting Mia's soul and then loosing it counting as a soul claimed, that's bull. In order to claim something you have to keep it. Finders keepers, losers weepers.

Stupid.

5- After the cabin door opens with wind gushing through the cabin, and Mia telling everyone (in a demonic type voice) that they are all going to die, the nurse and girlfriend going bat-sh!t crazy, his sister ending up in the cellar with demonic eyes and all the sh!t going on around him, David still comes up with "Maybe she got infected by the dead cats and passed it on to the others, or better yet, maybe she's just crazy like our mom was in the asylum. I mean, come on, there's denial and then there's just plain stupidity.

Stupid.

6- David buries Mia, then pulls her out of the ground and she's miraculously healed? In the original, the deadites were never healed, they just gave the illusion of being "OK" to further torment Ash. And before any of you say "We'll Ash was healed after he was turned into Evil Ash" let me point out that this was in ED2 which was a fantasy mixed with humour type horror movie. Fans of this keep insisting this one is a more realistic approach like Raimi envisioned in the first place. Now you have a choice to make guys, you can't have it both ways. It's either a more realistic approach in which case Mia should still have cuts and burns on her body or it's a fantasy based horror where anything goes. Which is it?

Stupid.

7- Every time something bad was going to happen, wind would blow the pages of the book to an illustration depicting what was going to happen giving the audience a heads up. Great way to build suspense there Fede. Wow!

Stupid.

8- After Mia boils her skin in the shower, the "nurse", finally gives in and says "Her burns are too severe we have to get her to a hospital." So, David takes Mia with him, in the only vehicle left I might add, just the two of them leaving the three others (girlfriend included) alone in a creepy cabin in the woods in the middle of the night where strange satanic rituals might have happened in the cellar. Last time I checked, there's room enough for five in a jeep. He could have at least taken the nurse with him in case Mia's condition worsened on their way to the hospital.

Stupid.

9- The abomination, with enough power in it's scrawny little arms to topple a jeep, had difficulty dragging itself on the ground after Mia amputated it's feet with the chainsaw. If it had as much power in it's arms as was shown, it should have easily been capable of doing a hand stand using it's arms to walk to get at her. Imagine for a second, how freaking' creepy it would have been to see that coming at her from around the jeep upside down. It would have been something like the creatures in the Dead Space video game. Missed opportunity there Fede.

Stupid.

10- Mia starts walking off into the morning sun with her arm cut off and shoved into her shirt, without even cauterizing the wound. I give her 15 minutes before she bleeds out and dies on the side of the road. Even if she makes it that far, she still has to swim across the river that washed out the road earlier in the movie. She'd never make it with all the blood loss, she would pass out and drown in the river.

Stupid ending.
269 out of 551 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing movie, a step ahead from modern movies of the genre
edduardoa21 April 2013
I watched The Evil Dead many years ago, and I loved it and when it comes to remakes, I always try to watch them with an open mind, not ignoring its positive points just because I like the original better, after all, they are not going to cease to exist, but some people just can't do just that, and that seems to me as the biggest problem that people showed with Evil Dead.

Spoilers ahead!!

Starting with an interesting, but not much relevant opening, Evil Dead show to the audience what to expect from the movie, right from the beginning. After the title, we are introduced to the five central characters. We see Mia suffering with the abstinence, David trying to do something to bound with his sister after leaving her with the dying mother, Eric being angry with David for the same reason as Mia, Olivia trying to do her best to make her friend go through hell and Natalie doesn't do sh*t.

All hell breaks loose when Eric reads the words wrote in the book that they found in the basement (a normal act drove by curiosity, not an dumb thing like many people point at) and the demon awakes in an amazing sequence, the camera rising from the woods and rapidly moving, changing from Mia walking in circles in the rain and Eric reading the words one by one, until the demon finale reaches the cabin.

When I first walked in the theater to watch Evil Dead, I expected a gore fest, limbs flying everywhere and some interesting death scenes, that's all. The film has all that but not just it, the tension is hold from beginning to end, and you really get nervous during the entire show, like in the famous Tree rape scene that this time isn't explicit like in the original and yet is much more shocking.

The acting is also great, Jane Levy as Mia (and here I should say how much I loved her) and Lou Taylor Pucci as Eric are amazing, Jessica Lucas is also very good, but she doesn't gets much screen time. Elizabeth Blackmore could be pointed as a bad actress but in reality, the script doesn't allow her to do much, that being said, she is the most useless character in the movie. Shiloh Fernandez is bland and didn't quite deliver the David that I hoped from the script.

In the technical department, Evil Dead shows the combination of all the good things in a movie, the score from Roque Baños is nothing less than brilliant, the make-up is astonishing and even if the Deadites may resemblance a little too much with Regan from "The Exorcist" they feel very organic. But the thing that surprised most about the film is the photography, the landscape in the beginning, the shots from outside the cabin, the blood rain, the contrast between the dark from the scenario and Jane Levy scarlet red dress looks absolutely beautiful.

Evil Dead is an amazing movie, it isn't the perfect one, but it doesn't want to be it. Pointed by many to have "dumb script" (like the horror movies in its most, or even the original The Evil Dead had a great one ¬¬) that actually diverges a lot from the genre. We see the family issue, the subtle correlation between the drugs and the demon possession for Mia, and the distance from clichés. A friendly advice, fans of the genre should stop smashing the movie just because of their love for the original, if you can do this, you may actually enjoy one of the most amazing horror movies released in quite some time.

And for the ones that say "this is just a gore fest with no history whatsoever" or like someone wrote in a review I read here "this is Evil Dead for the Xbox generation", just for the fact you don't like a movie, it doesn't mean this is the "Worst movie of our Generation", grow up!

Evil Dead is one of the most terrifying movie you will ever experience
113 out of 221 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Evil Remake
pam_nagovski3 April 2013
Save your money. This film is a cash grab of the highest order. A truly shallow attempt to remake a film all horror fans hold dear to their heart.

When Sam Raimi shocked and delighted the world with Evil Dead, he did so with the purest intentions and divine talent. Original story. Groundbreaking gore effects. Stunning visuals. Mesmeric tension.

A masterpiece.

He did so without the desire for box office statistics, nor did he pay shills to promote the film. He simply poured his heart and soul and genius into something he truly loved.

This pale, insipid, vapid excuse of a "remake" is an Evil Dead film in name only. Nothing original. Nothing enthralling. Nothing shocking. Just......nothing.

The sooner Hollywood realizes film audiences are SICK of these types of tepid imitations, the better. Classic and much-adored movies should be left to age gracefully and to find audiences on their own terms, for generations to come.

The Mona Lisa was not repainted. And if it had of been,, the copy would be spat upon and condemned as a FAKE! Well, this FAKE is even worse.

300 out of 621 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Evil Dead for the Xbox generation
Fred_Molden25 March 2013
I never thought I would become a grumpy old man, but it seems this state has now reached me in my mid thirties.

To put it bluntly, this film is the cinematic version of edible gloop, served in a jar, then fed to dribbling teenagers with unrefined tastes. It lacked the spine and balance to be called a good horror film. It lack the originality and imagination to be called a cult classic. It has too much senseless meat, bone, sinew and cartilage to be considered a mainstream frightener. Basically, this seems to have been made for blood-hungry gamers, who are happiest when seeing the human body blown, ripped or torn asunder.

The story is a vacuous imitation of the Raimi classic. A few similar plot devices, but without the charm, thrills, personalities and originality. What it had more of was blood. Barrels of it. No tension or fear. Just thick, meaty blood. Those gamers will be extremely well fed.

Please stop doing this to us, Hollywood. Please stop exhuming original classic films from their rightful place of rest, giving them a cheap modern makeover, then foisting them upon us like they are a new dish, created by the world's finest chefs. They aren't. They are tasteless, nauseating mush and only willingly consumed by tasteless, nauseating drones.

292 out of 607 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Should titled 'Normal Splatter B movie', not Evil Dead
AcidSquirtyNipples25 March 2013
I cant stand why Hollywood do the movie and call the remake when not like first movie. This called Evil Dead but it not Evil Dead like first Evil Dead. It normal cheap horror movie with the cabin and the blood. It have normal the teenager and normal the bad acting. Normal the gore and normal the one survivor hero who kill the badness. That is OK because that is normal. But it not Evil Dead. Why they try and lie to the people by saying it is remake? It not the remake. It only have one or two thing in first movie like necromonicon the chainsaw and girl in the basement. Everything else is different and not the Evil Dead. No laughing in the movie like other the Evil Dead. No the scares and the fright. Just gore to cover story not in.

I not like fake Evil Dead. I not like the normal splatter movie with Evil Dead label. This dishonest lie and not what should do to try and get audience. Should just make own film and let people think good or bad with out fake name.

I sure you agree.
236 out of 486 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This Film Was Not Good At All. Terrible, In Fact
Keenan_Johnson25 March 2013
Far too much emphasis on blood and gore effects at the expense of quality acting, coherent writing, addictive story, skillful direction and genuinely horrific shocks. And this seems to be the common strain among critics. A fixation on guts and bone. An almost complete neglect of everything else.

Raimi made a classic film. A masterpiece. It had balance. Great actors. Great ORIGINAL story. Exceptional gore effects. Superb direction. Hilarious humor. Terrifying shocks. So why call this new film "Evil Dead"? Just release it under another name. Its not a remake. Its a pale, insipid, soulless imitation.

I'm glad I saw it for free.

245 out of 506 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely Loved it !!! BRUTAL !!!!
paul_alderson20111 July 2013
One of the best horror movies I have ever seen. Brutal and very scary . Having said that , you will probably enjoy this movie even more if you haven't seen the original !! I have tried many times to watch the original but for me its too cheesy and old .. I'm into more modern movies these days and I know its supposed to be a classic but its just not for me , that's why I was so looking forward to seeing the remake . In my opinion it was fantastic . Deffo one of the best remakes ever made . I was hiding behind the pillow for most of the movie lol and it gets straight into the action and horror from beginning to end keeps you on the edge of your seat its great .

10/10 from me !! well done !!
79 out of 152 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's a different film from the original,but this is an incredible Horror • 7.9/10
Buster-Gonad27 March 2013
I can't understand the Fanboys and the Fanboy wannabe's giving this excellent Horror any sort of a chance, because they have this infantile manner where they simply give a film 1/10 which is a pathetic attempt at proving themselves right. I know for a fact they have been hanging about the reviews to give a bad score for every review that says anything positive about this film. I watched the reviews myself one afternoon and there is a review which is one of the last reviews thanks to the Fanboys and when the header was changed to show admiration for the film it went from 98/277 to 91/277 over the course of a few hours. That is "proof positive" that this is going on. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

This film should not be compared with 'The Evil Dead' because they may have the same/similar characters 'and' has been approved by Bruce and Raime but one is a comedy and this is clearly not. It's a hard core gross out Horror and has perhaps the most graphic scenes ever to grace the silver screen. This follows the story faithfully but lacks any humour at all. I have mixed feelings about Comedy/Horror because most of the time the Comedy is used to allow the filmmaker (I mean the "not very good" film makers) to use it like when they know they can't pull off any real scares so they dumb it down and have the actors doing the same take, more or less but get them to do it in a silly way. This movie is all scares and hacking bits off etc. If you're looking for atrocious acting and loads of blood then this film is definitely you.

Brilliant scary movie. I strongly advise you to go see this but make sure you have company with you for both moral and physical support.

Highly Recommended

You have been reading Buster Gonad and his unfeasibly large testicles.
188 out of 384 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
not very good 3/10
raimifan133 April 2013
disappointed with this. saw it at south by south film festival and i was not impressed. i didn't ever think it was going to be anything special and would pale against the excellent original, but i expected more.

the gore was over the top and silly. the tree rape was thoughtless torture porn. it wasn't scary. it was not imaginative. in fact, it was boring. and that is the saddest thing. so much effort put into shocking and outraging the audience with blood and guts, when the net result is tedium.

glad raimi had nothing to do with it lest he become like romero, and lose luster with his ill conceived later films.

3/10 is the very best i can muster. sorry.
243 out of 504 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No Ash Leaves Ash In Your Mouth
AyeLewisTheSelfless13 May 2013
SHAME RAIMI SHAME!! Sam, why would you risk your outstanding legacy by attaching yourself (loosely), to this utter shemozzle?!? Clearly you were offered a few bucks to help promote this film and give it some credibility, but is money worth more than credibility? Reputation? Respect?!?! I could say the same about Bruce Campbell, but he has never been more than a B-actor, (though still totally awesome), and thus I understand his desire to make a quick buck, but Sam....you have no excuse.

As for the film, well it is gory and boring. That pretty much sums it up. Poor-quality gore by the truckload. No tension. No story worth noting. No scares. No charm. No Ash.

NO ASH!!!! Except for a tacked on cameo after the credits, the lack of Ash makes this film even more execrable than it already is.

Plot-holes galore. Contrived plot twists. Obvious ending. Terrible acting. Woeful characters. Lack of depth.

Just an awful film.

Sam.............what have you done?
183 out of 376 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not good, not terrible. Fails to impress.
ManBehindTheMask635 April 2013
This is not the most terrifying film you will ever experience.

Now the original Evil Dead was an experience. You were scared, disgusted, and exhausted by the time the film ended. It was a low budget gore-fest. The remake is packed with gore, but almost to the point of exaggeration, and that's about the only positive I can give the film. It wasn't scary, it wasn't brutal, it wasn't "Evil".

The remake features pretty looking hipsters going to the cabin as part of a drug intervention. Of course, possessions and killings ensue. Good acting isn't expected in this kinds of films, but the fact that the "heroine" is one of the worst actresses I've seen in a while (her delivery of a one-liner towards the end of the film had me almost throwing up in my mouth in disgust), doesn't help matters. The remake is very predictable. One character pops up out of frame to save another character at least 3 times. It becomes expected and comedic. For some reason the "demon voices" all sound really stupid. Hakf the audience was laughing when someone possessed would start talking in demon voice.

"Evil Dead '13" is like the countless other remakes that have come before it, it has no soul. But this remake does, however, have the blood and guts. The film tries to redeem itself in the last 15 minutes but it just feels like you're watching a completely different movie at that point.

Overall, it's a bloody deja vu. If feels like you've seen it all before...and not in a good way. Evil Dead '13 is not going to be a classic and if a sequel comes out, count me out. Unless that sequel is Army Of Darkness 2 with The Chin.
129 out of 260 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disgusting violence for violence sake.
kittykatkittykat33333 April 2013
Extremely sickened by this film. I have never sat through a film where I simply wanted it to end. Graphic sickening torture porn for soulless sociopaths. No story to speak of, which the original had in spades. Amateur acting, with nobody approaching the charisma and screen presence of Bruce Campbell. All this film had was buckets and buckets of cow blood and pointless violence. That's all it was. Pointless violence.

If you are an adult of rational mind and have any sense of decency and values, do not watch this film. If you are a sociopath teenager, with an appetite for violent video games and torturing small animals, well this film will probably suit you perfectly.

Believe when I say the only scare you will get from this film is the horrific acting. Everything else is nauseating and quite boring violence.

not recommended.
237 out of 495 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cheap, and even hilarious at many points
miranb3 April 2013
I'm shocked that Sam Raimi had anything - and actually quite a lot - to do with this cheap horror movie. I don't even feel like it was a cheap imitation of the original because it didn't even come close and I don't know why it even carries the "Evil Dead" name.

Many "scary" parts had the entire packed theater cracking up. The more the "demon" appeared, and the more she/it talked, the less scary it became... The acting was just so terrible, the writing sucked, the plot sucked, the direction sucked. The characters did things and made choices so idiotic that I just could not stand it (the 'hero' was so irritating throughout everything he did!) and suppressing laughter became quite hard.

Yes, it had gore. Plenty of gore. Most of it was unremarkable - cheap shots of random body parts covered in buckets and buckets of flowing watery fake blood. It got quite boring. Loud sound throughout the entire film, to no real effect...

Overall: No substance at all. Only good for some laughs.
187 out of 386 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.