The Lego Star Wars Holiday Special (TV Movie 2020) Poster

Fun and entertaining
dhogan-9674929 December 2020
I don't know why this special has so many negative reviews. I like how it paid homage to all nine 'primary' movies (and the Mandalorian), was self-deprecating of many aspects of the franchise, and was legitimately funny. Yes, except for Anthony Daniels and Billy Dee Williams, it's not the movie actors, but there are quite a few voice actors returning from Clone Wars, which was great to hear. Certainly worth a viewing from any life-long Star Wars fan.
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
May Life Day Be With You. Always.
TheMovieFan9817 November 2020
Although I'm a big fan of Star Wars and have no interest in watching the original Holiday special, 'The LEGO Star Wars Holiday Special' is one perfect Holiday special to watch!

The story is set after the events of Episode 9 where Rey sets on a quest to find the perfect Life Day tradition to gain a deeper knowledge of the Force, but she accidentally hurls into a cross-timeline adventure.

This is one hilarious and heartwarming LEGO Star Wars special to watch for the holiday season!
48 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This will erase the horror of the 1978 Holiday Special...
paul_haakonsen18 November 2020
I sat down to watch the 2020 "The Lego Star Wars Holiday Special" last evening, and it was with a great deal of reluctance given two factors; first, the horror that was the 1978 "The Star Wars Holiday Special" and this being a LEGO animated movie.

Well, first of all I must say that I was more than genuinely surprised by how fantastic "The Lego Star Wars Holiday Special" actually turned out to be. Sure, it is a LEGO animated movie, but it is an all-together very enjoyable foray into the "Star Wars" universe.

Secondly, and most importantly, "The Lego Star Wars Holiday Special" is the seasonal holiday movie that Star Wars has been waiting to get in order to erase the memory of the abysmal 1978 "The Star Wars Holiday Special". Just remembering having sat through that horrible experience still makes me shudder.

The storyline told in "The Lego Star Wars Holiday Special" was very enjoyable, and especially for a "Star Wars" fan such as myself, this 44 minute long animated movie was just crammed with so many great - and often subtle - nods and praises to all the "Star Wars" movies and series with references, scenes, scenery, etc. I will say that "The Lego Star Wars Holiday Special" is well-worth watching more than just a single time, in order to catch all the minute details and references. Trust me, there are plenty of them all throughout the entire course of these 44 enjoyable minutes.

This being a LEGO animated movie, you know that you are getting quality animation. I was just fearing that it would be an animated movie that was aimed directly at the younger audience. Luckily it was not. No, "The Lego Star Wars Holiday Special" is a highly watchable animated movie by audiences of all ages, fans of "Star Wars" or not.

While they didn't have the voices of the original characters, they did have a good ensemble of voice actors to portray the various characters that we all grew up with and love. And it was nice that they actually had some of the original cast to revisit their characters; such as Anthony Daniels, Billy Dee Williams and Kelly Marie Tran.

I was definitely entertained by "The Lego Star Wars Holiday Special" and I can highly recommend that you sit down to watch it, being a child or adult, fan of Star Wars or not, a fan of LEGO or not. This was proper and good entertainment.

My rating of "The Lego Star Wars Holiday Special" lands on a seven out of ten Deathstars. Happy Life Day to you and may the Force be with you... always.
40 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Robot Chicken would've done it better
Grave_Rob18 November 2020
Look, I get it. This is supposed to be aimed at kids. But this just feels like a badly written episode of Robot Chicken Star Wars. Full of fan service moments in lego form. However the jokes just come across as silly instead of funny. I'd much rather watch the original Holiday Special, and that's not saying much.
43 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Holiday Special has a new meaning
myers-551687 January 2021
What can I say? It is glorious. Holiday Special has a new meaning, Jedi.
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hilarious for a Star Wars fan
schmoab25 December 2020
There isn't really a plot. It's mostly a series of short set pieces to make jokes about the movies,m. Lots of fourth wall breaking, insider-y type meta humor. Lots of fun here with two of my favorite things growing up.voice work is good, not quite right. Poe was completely believable though.
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a very good movie
biohazard-7096930 November 2020
I like Star Wars, but this movie felt so foreign to me. It's lego so of course things will obviously not be the same.

No actors (as far as I can remember) in the real star wars movie was in this.

All the characters are kinda... wierd and wimpy. Several of them use phrases and quotes that are not them.

I don't really like this movie.
13 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Heartwarming Special perfect for all ages
joecavallaro17 November 2020
As a big Star Wars fan, I was excited to see this and I wasn't disappointed. Fun all around and a decently compelling storyline to boot.
29 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's a fun ride
wmgreene-2789917 November 2020
Obviously it's not the best thing ever but I feel like it does well with the references and Easter eggs. The voice actors did a good job and so was the music.
25 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
THIS IS NOT THE HOLIDAY SPECIAL YOU'RE LOOKING FOR
cgaramayo3 December 2020
I can't believe the amount of reviews over 5 stars this got. It definitely is geared towards brainwashed 7-8 year old kids who are fans of Ep I, II, III, & Jar Jar Binks. If you can make it through listening to Helen Sadler as the voice of Rey, you might make it through to the end. The writing is as horrible as the romance between Anakin & Padme & her over dramatically dying of a broken heart. So if you are quarantined, have binged everything else, & are desperate for anything to watch by all means go right ahead. Just know you will never get that hour of your life back.
18 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ho Ho Oh No
babyfett2 December 2020
.. is worse than the infamously terrible "Original" 1978 Star Wars Holiday Special. Jokes in this 2020 iteration are even more Forced, puns intended. Including a title and story that reminds viewers about- and intertwines with what George Lucas himself wants forgotten.. May The Force be with us and Merry Christmas to all.
11 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A prime example of how 'Star Wars' has endeared it's self to the point where it's become boring
DarthVoorhees21 November 2020
There came a time in the long history of our favorite space opera where it became hip to try to make it irreverent. We all knew the saga and our devotion and knowledge of every line and cue became an ironic punchline. 'South Park' diagnosed it perfectly with their 'Member berries. In a way 'Star Wars' perfectly lends it's self to the meme format and they were very funny to begin with. Who couldn't laugh at the Jedi and Sith having water cooler talks between the classic battles? A Darth Vader who isn't impressed that he's Darth Vader? Classic The problem is that 'The Lego Star Wars Holiday Special' has come to this brand of 'Star Wars' parody far too late. In truth 'Family Guy' came to it too late with their decade old special. It offers nothing new or innovative.

There is nothing done with the Lego aesthetics at all. No commentary, no sight gags, no self awareness. Audiences expecting a 'Lego Movie' are going to be very disappointed. It's a real shame because the self awareness of being a toy really could have lended a more biting satire to 'Star Wars'. Wouldn't it be funny if the characters commented on the Disney buyout and being peg warmers on the toy store shelves?

As a 'Star Wars' story it does present an interesting plot device that 'Star Wars' really hasn't played with before. The idea of time travel linking all the sagas is clever. It's handled lazily here. The laughs come from seeing the iconic moments be interrupted by Rey falling in on them. Also, It isn't a canonical continuation of the story but I must admit I was disappointed to see Finn be played for broad laughs after John Boyega's complaints on how the character was handled.

Darth Vader has become a big cuddly teddy bear. It's so funny that he's a boring cog in the imperial machine who gets his boss a Galaxy's Best Emperor coffee mug. 'Spaceballs' laid the seeds for this more than thirty years ago, it's tired and not funny. He has no menace anymore.

'The Lego Star Wars Holiday Special' should learn the all too important lesson of not throwing stones when you live in a class house. The awful and infamous original 'Holiday Special' at least has an earnestness that 'Star Wars' has tried but ultimately failed to achieved. If Lucasfilm is producing parodies making jokes about how bored they are with the franchise then what reason is there for the fans to continue to invest themselves?
24 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lighten up and laugh
jk8jj296 December 2020
2 adults in their 50s enjoyed watching this and had some good laughs. I love all the characters from the full range of movies Who cares about canon this and that, just have fun.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun little Star Wars special for the whole family
austindees18 November 2020
This is a short 44 minute special about the sequel trilogy gang celebrating Life Day while Rey is teaching Finn how to be Jedi. Rey gets frustrated with her teachings and decides to leave and go seek guidance from former Jedi's with time travel. While doing this she messes up a lot of stuff and creates a fun little adventure that also has a little Christmas carol feel.
21 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It is inoffensive and bland, a corporate Life Day.
aj121817 November 2020
It is a Star Wars Holiday Special and a Lego movie, both of these things scream, I AM A JOKE DON'T TAKE ME SERIOUSLY. So for those fans that get upset with continuity and errors in cannon this isn't the time or place for that.

My only real complaint for the Special is that it really isn't memorable and that it is just kind of meh. You can put it on for the kids to watch and they will enjoy it but don't expect it to be a yearly tradition or for them to remember it in a week. It is a bland story with a bunch of Star Wars Memberberries scattered throughout. If you get the chance to see it watch it but don't go out of your find it.
42 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great homage to the saga!
davidkippy17 November 2020
This a really fun watch with a lot of references and in-jokes about Star Wars that maybe you wouldn't expect them to make fun of themselves about.

The story is also very clever in ways it uses the characters. It makes good fun of Palpatine knowing that Vader will betray him, and then trying to replace him with Kylo Ren. There are even things that happen with sequel characters you wish actually happened in the sequel trilogy.

I only have a couple issues. It drags whenever they cut back to scenes on the Falcon. The time travel story is where it's at. The movie also doesn't seem to acknowledge that Palpatine returned and that Rey is related to him. There were many missed opportunities for comedy using those ideas.
21 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Meh
Ice_x_1 December 2020
None of the voice actors are the same as the Star Wars movies... Makes it difficult to watch.
10 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Star Wars adventure for kids and fans alike
the_sax_man-4940117 November 2020
I really enjoyed this. Before you watch you have to keep in mind the target audience is children, but with that being said it's pretty entertaining regardless. Sure, some of the jokes don't stick or are overused, but a lot of the jokes are quite hilarious too. It's nothing too special, but as a Star Wars fan you'll get a kick out of it. Overall, a entertaining kids film for everyone to enjoy.
25 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shortest Review Ever!
crowes-1886525 November 2020
No Bea Arthur + No Harvey Korman = NO HOLIDAY SPECIAL!!!

Am I supposed to just replace these beloved holiday special characters with Rey and Finn! Your mind must have been whip whip stir stir whipped if you think this garbage is worthy of the name Star Wars Holiday Special!
26 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just as painful as the original holiday special
pookster1318 November 2020
At least when I watched the original holiday special, it was so bad I ended up liking it.

Lego Star Wars Holiday special though...it felt forced, unoriginal, and made too much of an effort to be extremely kid friendly. My 8 year old daughter hardly chuckled at the attempts of humor let alone enjoyed watching it.
33 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Neat Star Wars Holiday Special That's 100% Bea Arthur Free
jeremycrimsonfox11 December 2020
This is actually a lot better than the actual sequel trilogy. The story is Rey leaves on a mission after reading a book about a temple after she wanted to know what she is doing wrong with teaching Finn, and she finds a key to that allows her to go back in time. However, when she sees Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine on the second Death Star, the dark lord of the Sith is sent to retrieve the key. Also, there is a B-story where Poe Dameron decides to take charge with preparing the Life Day party, to disastrously funny results.

It's a neat special, to be honest. It has key scenes from the prequel and original trilogy (as well as a short scene set in The Mandalorian), the special is filled with references to Star Wars meta and even contains the action Star Wars is known for and the humor Lego comes with. Also, it avoids the cheesy variety that the 1978 Holiday Special is infamous for (no cheesy comedy shorts, no questionable music numbers, and no Art Carney being important to the plot). This is a neat special for all ages, as it teaches a good moral, and is more exciting than The Rise Of Skywalker.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Holiday Special: Take 2
DarkWolfz17 November 2020
I liked the idea. It was pretty cool doing the time travel thing. It is also much better than the original Holiday Special.
18 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Man I missed Harvey Korman it really is that bad
mcseca-9665218 November 2020
You know this is bad when you get nostalgic for the original! You know its bad if you cannot even get the cast to come back to voice.
25 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very funny
seanstidmon18 November 2020
This special is really funny and I would love to see more Star Wars specials like this.
21 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent Lego movie
dap-7369517 November 2020
Average Lego movie. Does have more holes then aged Swiss cheese and some missed potential but overall worth a watch of you want some dumb fun Lego fun.
18 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.