Survive the Game (2021) Poster

Another Willis flop. Who funds this garbage?
Top_Dawg_Critic9 October 2021
I can cut some slack for newb writer Ross Peacock in his first full length screenplay, with only seven prior short films, because he clearly has no idea on how to write a full length story without tons of filler and long dragged out and unnecessary scenes. The normally decent 97 min runtime felt ridiculously long. About 80% of this film was infantile cat and mouse games, and the worst car chases in the history of car chases.

Whoever funded this mess and after viewing the final cut said "that's great, let's go to market" clearly needed a tax write-off. This may have been bearable had Peacock cut out lots of film and kept his story as a short, no more than 25 mins. Even his attempt at any humor was cringeworthy. He pretty much didn't miss any cliche in this genre, and we really didn't need another cops vs bad guys story.

But were there is no forgiveness, is how seasoned director James Cullen Bressack presented us this garbage. Why did he give us the lamest long car chases in the world? The choppy blurred action sequences? The horrible camera work? Did he even direct his cast? A 5th grader could've directed better.

Then we have Willis in his usual has-been acting with him barely awake and smirking his monotonic lines. This guy is moving backwards in time with any acting skills or ability. Stay home Bruce, please. All other casting was also lame and unconvincing, with the exception of Chad Michael Murray who was decent, and in very distant second place, Swen Temmel. Kate Katzman and Zack Ward as unoriginal wannabe Harley Quinn and the Joker characters was cringe, although their performances were the most entertaining.

The only redeeming quality was the score and soundtrack, which were decent compared to other typical B grade films where they're loud, constant, overbearing and unfitting. I'd pass on this mess, and because I didn't have to force myself that hard to stay awake until the end, it's a generous 3/10 from me.
47 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bruce again going for a paycheck. Does he owe some bad debts?
Xavier_Stone9 October 2021
Bruce will release 8 movies in 2021 and has been on a tear in recent years churning out this garbage. That's one movie every 6 weeks, one heckova pace. His past few years have shown that he is clearly a quantity over quality type of actor and I'm guessing he just owes people money.

Nobody can do acting like this and like it. It's a job, and I assume he's forced to do it. Maybe that can explain how he purposely lacks any effort in his films. I made it less than 10 minutes and it's no different than his other frequent garbage.
28 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bruce Willis not even pretending to try or care.
FridayElmStreet16 October 2021
I keep chucking out the newest Bruce Wills movies because I get so damn curious about them and they all suck. Cosmic Sin, Midnight in Switchgrass, Breach, 10 Minutes Gone, Reprisal, The Prince, Hard Kill, Out of Death. All crappy Bruce Willis films made within the last few years. What happened to this guy? He has no passion left for the craft of acting. Hes hardly trying. Why even continue?

Oh well lets dive into this film called Survive the Game. The film is about two cops (Bruce Wills and Swen Temmel) bust two villains (Zach Ward who was the bully in A Christmas Story and some girl looking a lot like Harley Quinn) doing some kind of deal. I really did not catch what the deal is or what crime they were committing. The movie explains nothing. Willis gets shot in the gut and expresses very little pain. Its like Tim Roth is Reservoir Dogs if he didnt care. Hes wounded for the whole film but its not like it matters. More bad guys chase the cops through land occupied by a man who lost his family (Chad Michael Murray) and they get into multiple non exciting shootouts and lame car chases where its mostly two cares going kinda fast in a straight line. The film is padded with long drawn out dull dialog yet hardly explains any plot.

The real heart of this film is Bruce Willis not caring. Its rather funny how much he does not care. Its like he was at gunpoint while being in this film. Sometimes its not even him in the film. There are clearly double sitting in for Bruce in many scenes. And the cherry on top is that on the poster to the film his picture is the same one they used in Midnight in Switchgrass!

2/10.
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One day Bruce Willis will make a good movie again
kuner-5902910 October 2021
Just repeat it often enough, and eventually it will happen: One day Bruce Willis will make a good movie again One day Bruce Willis will make a good movie again One day Bruce Willis will make a good movie again One day Bruce Willis will make a good movie again One day,...

Okay maybe not.

This movie here, as so many of his recent outings, is bottom of the barrel low budget fare, though unlike Midnight in the Switchgrass, this one was botched from the concept stage on. It could have worked as a kind of "Die Hard on a farm" type movie. That would have been really clever.

Switch the role of the farmer to Willis. He's an old Vietnam or desert storm vet or retired cop. Switch the role of the young cop with Willi's hostage character. The young cop chases the bad guys to the farm, gets injured in the process and becomes their hostage.

The bad guys call for backup, Willis has to Die Hard his way to victory. Of course this would mean Willis would have to do some action work instead of spending the entire movie sitting down in a chair.... Add a ticking clock element by having Willis daughter and family be scheduled to visit in a few hours. Willis has to defeat the bad guys before that happens, forcing him to take undue risks.

Instant drama.

Instead we get Willis sitting in a chair for almost the entire movie, no name cop character who's not even on the cover killing most of the bad guys, two main heroes who don't really work together for most of the film, with neither of them really an audience avatar, and villains so incompetent they make Wile E. Coyote look like a genius.

How dumb are the the bad guys. In more than one scene, they have loaded guns / rifles in their hands, approach the heroes from afar and try to use the guns and clubs. It's that bad.

The final death of the main villain happens off screen with an awkward cutaway, since they couldn't be arsed to pay for a dummy body in a shirt to take a fall onto grass from a 1st floor balcony.

Add to this a cavalcade of bad film making tropes: Awkward dubstep / rap score, shaky cam action scenes, lens flares where there shouldn't be any, and eye cancer color grading.

This is actually why I gave it 3 stars. It enters "so bad it's good" territory. It's fast moving enough to not bore you too much between laughs. Whether it's Willis mumbling his lines while sitting, at one point even saying "I will gladly sit down" to actresses with botched plastic surgery, deliciously bad acting from all except the main villain (the henchman, not the GQ model cartel boss), and even a Harley Quinn knockoff character complete with goth makeup, blonde hair and heart tattoo under her eyes.

Lawsuit from Warner incoming.

Unironically, the last word in the film, spoken by Willis, sums up the entire movie: "excrement" (he uses a four letter word).
16 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
LAME
alexzhivkov23 October 2021
People with guns not shooting them, rather going close to the person they should have shot at.... Brilliant writing and directing! Acting isn't that strong either.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Weak acting
mohalhamouri10 October 2021
Low budget and very weak acting. Awful! It only got Bruce Willis for some reason, I can't believe he accepted a role in this movie. Do yourself a favor and avoid watching this movie at all cost (Even if it was for free).
17 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why did Lionsgate put their name on this?
Gringoen8 October 2021
From the start the acting is terrible and the camework is the worst. If you have Parkinsons disease maybe camerwork just insnt for you.... I gave this a fair shot, but the shaky camera and terrible acting made me turn this off... So yes this is another movie that Bruce Willis should have stayed away from.
23 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Meh!!
pmcorso10 October 2021
What is going on with Bruce Willis lately? His last 3 movies have been 👎🏻 I only watched this in hopes this movie was a little better.

These criminals are the dumbest I have ever seen!!
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Crap actor alert - Bruce Willis - Crap actor alert
contactmaz8 October 2021
Man oh man... do I ever learn? What an awful film. Every time I say enough, I will never watch another BW film, I do it again. He can't act for toffee and this is another successful attempt of him being a trash actor.
25 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bruce, wake up!!
frank-liesenborgs31 October 2021
Bruce Willis has had a rewarding career as a butt-kicking action star from his days in the 'Die-Hard' Franchise. However, as age catches up with him, he can't quite move the way he used to, and he seems to be losing his flair as the projects he has been landing latest aren't the Box office kind of titles. All his latest movies are not worth watching. I try to understand but it seems that he lost his appetite for acting. No strong performance? No performance at all. Looking at the plot, it simply centres on a drug bust gone south that pits a detective duo and an ex-soldier against a squad of criminals. There isn't much of a story. In fact there is nothing but emptiness. Not worth watching.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What is Bruce doing?
brushwood_darren17 October 2021
It's quite sad to see the amount of rubbish that Bruce Willis is producing. This effort is so poor. I'm really pushing it to give one star. The story is very poor and the characters are a joke with one saying baby all the time and her boyfriend, well I'm not sure what he is supposed to be.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awful movie
tgagovidigal11 October 2021
Really bad, from script to acting.

Once again I am disappointed by one of my favorite actors of all time. Bruce Willis seems to be just after any paycheck he can get.

Avoid this at all cost.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How come these movies get funded?
destroyerwod11 December 2021
Alright, i know Bruce Willis ain't a quality seal anymore when it comes to movies. Dude does not even hide the fact that he will take a paycheck for ANYTHING kinda like Nicholas Cage.

That said the trailer did made this movie seem decent and i like a good old simple action movie. Bad guys erupt on a farm and owner with nothing to loose decide that he will take a stand and fight them. Yes we seen it a million times but if done well, it can be enjoyable.

The problem is its not. First of all the bad guys are among the most stupid criminals i ever seen. I kept rolling my eyes times and times again and its clear their ridiculous decisions are there just so we can have a movie last 90 minutes set up in a very small location. They have some wannabe Harley Quinn cosplayer for some reasons that was half enjoyable but the rest of the crew including the boss appear to be low level morons who try to pretend they are international criminals.

Chad Michael Murray ain't exactly a huge name, but he is recognizable and i was curious how he could be in an action movie. But despite playing a former military guy, he ain't doing that much beside shooting a hunting rifle a few times.

Ultimately there ain't much to salvage in this movie. The plot and set up is as generic as it could be, i could write a movie better than this in 3 weeks without having written anything before. Good action could had made the movie if for instance they had Scott Adkins or Michael Jai White throwing some fist and kicks, but the action here was barebone. Mostly a few gun fights and barely anything of interest. I can't really comment on the acting too much as i watched a dubbed version, but let say it was one of those low budget dubs wich didn't help.

Im really curious how these movies get funded. Its one thing to attach Bruce's name on it to gather a few Joes who may not have realized yet the guy does not care anymore, but they have to pay him ! Granted the rest of the budget must had been very small, but im trying to find the reason why an exec would be like "yeah this sound like a cool movie, slap some recognizable actor's name in a supporting role and you are good".

Im assuming there must been hundreds of these scripts coming to their desk every day, so why this one? If some guy could had written this movie and have it approved, why can't any average joe have their stories approved too?

I am not joking by the way. If the publishers of this movie see this review, contact me and i could write you a better plot in about 3 to 4 weeks under a very similar budget, and even if english ain't my first language. My script could maybe use a few corrections but the dialogues would be better, the characters wouldn't seem so dumb, and the general plot altough maybe basic too would be much more interesting.

Im sorry if i look like im taking a big dump on this movie specifically. I seen worst movies before, i seen as bad movies this year too, maybe worst actually, like Rogue Hostage, and the funniest part is i enjoy a lot of DTVOD movies. Im not one of these elitist that require big budget theatre releases only to have fun. I even gave a pass to Steven Seagal and other low budget movies more times than many peoples. But it seem lately the quality of DTVOD movies has lowered if its not a Netflix/Amazon movie.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another 14 day shoot
uajx28 October 2021
The money behind all these BW films the last few years is the same company. They've done a ton of these in Puerto Rico and Cincinnati. BW comes in and films all his scenes in a day and they film the rest in two weeks. Follow the money.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not worth watching.
jslaats-9927812 October 2021
Bruce Willis shines with bad acting. It's like he doesn't care proper acting at all anymore. It seems to be a trend, older top actors who take less and less roles as they get older. Not worth watching in my opinion.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not terrible but not great
dubond8 October 2021
Is this a great movie? No. Is it a return to form for Bruce Willis? Also no

But is it better then the most recent Dumpster Fire movies Willis has been starring in like Cosmic Sin and Out Of Death? Yes it is.
13 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another Bruce Waste
BOOKSMART112 October 2021
This is another all time flop of Bruce Willis. To keep review short I would just say that I slept twice watching it. I don't understand that why do they cast Bruce in their movies when all the action is done by his double.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad
pjwolcott-738529 October 2021
It's movies like these that allow me to think anyone can make a movie...
10 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disaster
dejobos10 October 2021
This is one of the worst movies i watched ever... B. W. really started filming everything these days...
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bruce owes me $1.85 for the Redbox
bettymk15 November 2021
How did this get released? Didn't anyone watch the final product? And now IMBD won't let me post until I put in 150 characters. How much is 150 divided by garbage?
I usED to love BrucED Willis
the1sentencereviewer1 November 2021
I usED to love BrucED Willis up until R. E. D. And then... all the rest happenED (I wishED he would have followED his R. E. D. Character's DEstiny and retirED...)
WOW! JUST... WOW!
buckybowen040968-129 October 2021
When the best thing in a movie is Bruce Willis... "phoning it in", you know you have a true POS film. Bad camerawork... horrifyingly bad acting... bad fight scenes... bad editing... and a truly moronic script! This run by Willis makes the garbage films by Nicholas Cage in the past 10 years, look like Oscar winners by comparison. At least he tries regardless of the script.
2 out of 10!!
dgtzdltd28 October 2021
Watched 5 minutes of this and it was enough. I am rating this crap with 2 stars only because of the acting history of Bruce back in the day. Dont lose your time with this one. Beware 💩
Poor
keithmckie20 October 2021
I don't think I've ever seen a film with 10mph car chases? Bizarre. Oh, and Willis puts in zero effort, disappointing to say the least! In fact I'm not sure what the point of this film is, it's just plain Dore.
Bruce....
ziad-3334812 October 2021
Bruce....aren't you embarassed with this ? Shame....really shame.... I couldn't continue watching. Everything was bad.....doesn't deserve the time I spent on the review....garbage...just garbage.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.