Survive the Game (2021) Poster

I'm with you
nogodnomasters18 October 2021
Detective David Watson(Bruce Willis) and his younger partner Cal (Swen Temmel) decide to go it alone on a drug bust in a remote building without backup. They are outnumbered as David takes a bullet to the abdomen and his partner leaves him for dead and takes off after just two of the bad guys, still not calling for help. (Had some plot issues, but what Willis film doesn't?) They get chased to Summer Canyon Farm, a remote house. (Filmed in PR). The lone occupant is Eric (Chad Michael Murray) a depressed, suicidal Purple Heart vet who lost his family. He is not running. We eventually have the good guys grossly outnumbered and out gunned by the bad guys and have to go after them one at a time, that would only happen in the movies.

Bad girl Violet (Kate Katzman) made the film enjoyable by being a Harley Quinn clone. Bad guy Frank (Michael Sirow) moves his head and cricks his neck, the bad guy cliche that replaced black hats. BTW he wore black also. I liked the soundtrack and cliche action scenes even if you didn't.

Guide: F-word. No sex or nudity.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another Willis flop. Who funds this garbage?
Top_Dawg_Critic9 October 2021
I can cut some slack for newb writer Ross Peacock in his first full length screenplay, with only seven prior short films, because he clearly has no idea on how to write a full length story without tons of filler and long dragged out and unnecessary scenes. The normally decent 97 min runtime felt ridiculously long. About 80% of this film was infantile cat and mouse games, and the worst car chases in the history of car chases.

Whoever funded this mess and after viewing the final cut said "that's great, let's go to market" clearly needed a tax write-off. This may have been bearable had Peacock cut out lots of film and kept his story as a short, no more than 25 mins. Even his attempt at any humor was cringeworthy. He pretty much didn't miss any cliche in this genre, and we really didn't need another cops vs bad guys story.

But were there is no forgiveness, is how seasoned director James Cullen Bressack presented us this garbage. Why did he give us the lamest long car chases in the world? The choppy blurred action sequences? The horrible camera work? Did he even direct his cast? A 5th grader could've directed better.

Then we have Willis in his usual has-been acting with him barely awake and smirking his monotonic lines. This guy is moving backwards in time with any acting skills or ability. Stay home Bruce, please. All other casting was also lame and unconvincing, with the exception of Chad Michael Murray who was decent, and in very distant second place, Swen Temmel. Kate Katzman and Zack Ward as unoriginal wannabe Harley Quinn and the Joker characters was cringe, although their performances were the most entertaining.

The only redeeming quality was the score and soundtrack, which were decent compared to other typical B grade films where they're loud, constant, overbearing and unfitting. I'd pass on this mess, and because I didn't have to force myself that hard to stay awake until the end, it's a generous 3/10 from me.
40 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another worst action film! Talking too much, and full of annoying overuse scene! Bored to freaking death!
kwenchow27 November 2021
This film start with a couple talking outside a car, and two cops talking inside a car scene! As turnout, this film is about a distressed veteran "Eric", and two cops(Cal, and David) need to survive from the killing of a gang of drug dealer lead by their boss "Michael"! Entire film full of boring conversation, and annoying overuse scene! Such as, overuse of the driving scene, overuse of the drinking scene, overuse of the staring scene, overuse of the song playing at the background scene, overuse of the walking scene, overuse of the searching scene, overuse of the arguing scene, overuse of the calling names scene, overuse of the flashbacks scene, and overuse of the holding gun scene! Make the film unwatchable! All the action scene have blood, and explosion at certain point, but overall portray by sideways, and occur in too short of time! Make the film frustrated to watch! At the end, Michael, and his gang been take down! That's it! Wasting time to watch!
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
VIEWS ON FILM review of Survive the Game
burlesonjesse516 November 2021
"So much for no killing". Exactly. There's a lot of "killing" in 2021's Survive the Game. Some of it stings but in the end there's just too much of it (quantity over quality I guess).

Now is Survive the Game a mess? Of course it is. There's plenty of fistfights where you can't see what's going on and editing of character actions where viewer POV is badly skewed. And is Survive the Game the type of shoot 'em up where the antagonists have to constantly explain themselves before doing any darn thing? Oh fo sho.

Anyhow, "Game" has virtually no plot or no plot that is fully spelled out (look ma). And yup, co-star Bruce Willis is back in the saddle again, barely moving, collecting his million dollar paycheck, and begrudgingly getting out his lines (was there an earpiece involved? Maybe). Sure Willis spars a little with the bad guys but you know what, his stunt double probably did all the heavy lifting. You can tell.

Reminiscent of 2016's Standoff (another VOD endeavor) and directed by LA native James Cullen Bressack (Beyond the Law, Bethany), Survive the Game is about a drug mob who infiltrates a dude's farmhouse trying to leave no witnesses behind. "Game" is I suppose a pseudo Western or a mere parody of action thrillers. There's bad humor involved, a main black hat who looks like a 16-year-old, and plenty of slick cinematography that's drenched in its own slickness.

And I might as well talk about the two car chases in "Game" since I'm on a roll. Bressack sets them up to some horrendous rap music, has them cut by monkeys, and basically shoots from just two slants. It's a bad couple of sequences and the low-angle patchiness is off the charts. Somewhere the great William Friedkin is laughing his arse off. And somewhere every critic is trying to "survive" what they just saw at 97 minutes (which feels like 2 hours). Natch.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bruce again going for a paycheck. Does he owe some bad debts?
Xavier_Stone9 October 2021
Bruce will release 8 movies in 2021 and has been on a tear in recent years churning out this garbage. That's one movie every 6 weeks, one heckova pace. His past few years have shown that he is clearly a quantity over quality type of actor and I'm guessing he just owes people money.

Nobody can do acting like this and like it. It's a job, and I assume he's forced to do it. Maybe that can explain how he purposely lacks any effort in his films. I made it less than 10 minutes and it's no different than his other frequent garbage.
20 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
LAME
alexzhivkov23 October 2021
People with guns not shooting them, rather going close to the person they should have shot at.... Brilliant writing and directing! Acting isn't that strong either.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I usED to love BrucED Willis
the1sentencereviewer1 November 2021
I usED to love BrucED Willis up until R. E. D. And then... all the rest happenED (I wishED he would have followED his R. E. D. Character's DEstiny and retirED...)
Crap actor alert - Bruce Willis - Crap actor alert
contactmaz8 October 2021
Man oh man... do I ever learn? What an awful film. Every time I say enough, I will never watch another BW film, I do it again. He can't act for toffee and this is another successful attempt of him being a trash actor.
24 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bruce, wake up!!
frank-liesenborgs31 October 2021
Bruce Willis has had a rewarding career as a butt-kicking action star from his days in the 'Die-Hard' Franchise. However, as age catches up with him, he can't quite move the way he used to, and he seems to be losing his flair as the projects he has been landing latest aren't the Box office kind of titles. All his latest movies are not worth watching. I try to understand but it seems that he lost his appetite for acting. No strong performance? No performance at all. Looking at the plot, it simply centres on a drug bust gone south that pits a detective duo and an ex-soldier against a squad of criminals. There isn't much of a story. In fact there is nothing but emptiness. Not worth watching.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bruce Willis not even pretending to try or care.
FridayElmStreet16 October 2021
I keep chucking out the newest Bruce Wills movies because I get so damn curious about them and they all suck. Cosmic Sin, Midnight in Switchgrass, Breach, 10 Minutes Gone, Reprisal, The Prince, Hard Kill, Out of Death. All crappy Bruce Willis films made within the last few years. What happened to this guy? He has no passion left for the craft of acting. Hes hardly trying. Why even continue?

Oh well lets dive into this film called Survive the Game. The film is about two cops (Bruce Wills and Swen Temmel) bust two villains (Zach Ward who was the bully in A Christmas Story and some girl looking a lot like Harley Quinn) doing some kind of deal. I really did not catch what the deal is or what crime they were committing. The movie explains nothing. Willis gets shot in the gut and expresses very little pain. Its like Tim Roth is Reservoir Dogs if he didnt care. Hes wounded for the whole film but its not like it matters. More bad guys chase the cops through land occupied by a man who lost his family (Chad Michael Murray) and they get into multiple non exciting shootouts and lame car chases where its mostly two cares going kinda fast in a straight line. The film is padded with long drawn out dull dialog yet hardly explains any plot.

The real heart of this film is Bruce Willis not caring. Its rather funny how much he does not care. Its like he was at gunpoint while being in this film. Sometimes its not even him in the film. There are clearly double sitting in for Bruce in many scenes. And the cherry on top is that on the poster to the film his picture is the same one they used in Midnight in Switchgrass!

2/10.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Weak acting
mohalhamouri10 October 2021
Low budget and very weak acting. Awful! It only got Bruce Willis for some reason, I can't believe he accepted a role in this movie. Do yourself a favor and avoid watching this movie at all cost (Even if it was for free).
16 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Meh!!
pmcorso10 October 2021
What is going on with Bruce Willis lately? His last 3 movies have been 👎🏻 I only watched this in hopes this movie was a little better.

These criminals are the dumbest I have ever seen!!
14 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Willis' Theatre & Film school
rcsipe23 October 2021
WTFs!

Lot of those going around with folks watchin' ol' Bruce lately.

It's as if Bruce has begun an elementary school and is letting the children write and direct while he agrees to "star". On the other hand and even if that were true, I mean, this movie could actually be more realistic than the "good ones" with all of the non-sequiturs and absurd gun play, it's more likely that this is what a real life scenario would look like. REALLY stupid people saying & doing REALLY stupid things. These kids get it!

Just after the car crash at 1hr 15min, there is a pretty funny few minutes with an Australian guy who dies shortly thereafter. It really is quite funny and is BY FAR the most memorable part of the movie. And I rewound to watch the part I missed when I fell asleep, to be sure.

But seriously, if you don't like wasting time, don't watch this...unless a nap is in order.
One day Bruce Willis will make a good movie again
kuner-5902910 October 2021
Just repeat it often enough, and eventually it will happen: One day Bruce Willis will make a good movie again One day Bruce Willis will make a good movie again One day Bruce Willis will make a good movie again One day Bruce Willis will make a good movie again One day,...

Okay maybe not.

This movie here, as so many of his recent outings, is bottom of the barrel low budget fare, though unlike Midnight in the Switchgrass, this one was botched from the concept stage on. It could have worked as a kind of "Die Hard on a farm" type movie. That would have been really clever.

Switch the role of the farmer to Willis. He's an old Vietnam or desert storm vet or retired cop. Switch the role of the young cop with Willi's hostage character. The young cop chases the bad guys to the farm, gets injured in the process and becomes their hostage.

The bad guys call for backup, Willis has to Die Hard his way to victory. Of course this would mean Willis would have to do some action work instead of spending the entire movie sitting down in a chair.... Add a ticking clock element by having Willis daughter and family be scheduled to visit in a few hours. Willis has to defeat the bad guys before that happens, forcing him to take undue risks.

Instant drama.

Instead we get Willis sitting in a chair for almost the entire movie, no name cop character who's not even on the cover killing most of the bad guys, two main heroes who don't really work together for most of the film, with neither of them really an audience avatar, and villains so incompetent they make Wile E. Coyote look like a genius.

How dumb are the the bad guys. In more than one scene, they have loaded guns / rifles in their hands, approach the heroes from afar and try to use the guns and clubs. It's that bad.

The final death of the main villain happens off screen with an awkward cutaway, since they couldn't be arsed to pay for a dummy body in a shirt to take a fall onto grass from a 1st floor balcony.

Add to this a cavalcade of bad film making tropes: Awkward dubstep / rap score, shaky cam action scenes, lens flares where there shouldn't be any, and eye cancer color grading.

This is actually why I gave it 3 stars. It enters "so bad it's good" territory. It's fast moving enough to not bore you too much between laughs. Whether it's Willis mumbling his lines while sitting, at one point even saying "I will gladly sit down" to actresses with botched plastic surgery, deliciously bad acting from all except the main villain (the henchman, not the GQ model cartel boss), and even a Harley Quinn knockoff character complete with goth makeup, blonde hair and heart tattoo under her eyes.

Lawsuit from Warner incoming.

Unironically, the last word in the film, spoken by Willis, sums up the entire movie: "excrement" (he uses a four letter word).
14 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awful movie
tgagovidigal11 October 2021
Really bad, from script to acting.

Once again I am disappointed by one of my favorite actors of all time. Bruce Willis seems to be just after any paycheck he can get.

Avoid this at all cost.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another 14 day shoot
uajx28 October 2021
The money behind all these BW films the last few years is the same company. They've done a ton of these in Puerto Rico and Cincinnati. BW comes in and films all his scenes in a day and they film the rest in two weeks. Follow the money.
Another Bruce Waste
BOOKSMART112 October 2021
This is another all time flop of Bruce Willis. To keep review short I would just say that I slept twice watching it. I don't understand that why do they cast Bruce in their movies when all the action is done by his double.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why did Lionsgate put their name on this?
Gringoen8 October 2021
From the start the acting is terrible and the camework is the worst. If you have Parkinsons disease maybe camerwork just insnt for you.... I gave this a fair shot, but the shaky camera and terrible acting made me turn this off... So yes this is another movie that Bruce Willis should have stayed away from.
23 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
2 out of 10!!
dgtzdltd28 October 2021
Watched 5 minutes of this and it was enough. I am rating this crap with 2 stars only because of the acting history of Bruce back in the day. Dont lose your time with this one. Beware 💩
What is Bruce doing?
brushwood_darren17 October 2021
It's quite sad to see the amount of rubbish that Bruce Willis is producing. This effort is so poor. I'm really pushing it to give one star. The story is very poor and the characters are a joke with one saying baby all the time and her boyfriend, well I'm not sure what he is supposed to be.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bruce....
ziad-3334812 October 2021
Bruce....aren't you embarassed with this ? Shame....really shame.... I couldn't continue watching. Everything was bad.....doesn't deserve the time I spent on the review....garbage...just garbage.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WOW! JUST... WOW!
buckybowen040968-129 October 2021
When the best thing in a movie is Bruce Willis... "phoning it in", you know you have a true POS film. Bad camerawork... horrifyingly bad acting... bad fight scenes... bad editing... and a truly moronic script! This run by Willis makes the garbage films by Nicholas Cage in the past 10 years, look like Oscar winners by comparison. At least he tries regardless of the script.
Awful..
the_blueeyes16 October 2021
Willis phones in another One-Day shoot for cash.

He did not even bother to stick around for a photoshoot for the movie poster. They cut and pasted his photo from "Midnight In The Switch Grass" to this.

That alone should warn you to avoid it all together...
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Willis does it again
ernestrx15 October 2021
If you want to be tortured by bad acting, stupid plot, bad film work, then this is a must watch. Bruce Willis will play in any movie that wants him, very sad.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Survive the MOVIE!
LeanneBarker2 December 2021
Such a cliché story... horrible lines... bad acting... the director overdid it with the lighting effects... "this is my farm"... "this is my farm"... takes another drink from the bottomless mickey... Willis must be hard up for jobs...
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.