Space Sweepers (2021) Poster

Awesome movie
carnagecarney6 February 2021
Like a Korean Guardians of the Galaxy. Mind blowing scifi special effects - if this film was in English with a Marvel production logo in the intro everyone would be scoring it 8.5 or 9.

I watched the English version which you don't even notice after 10 minutes. This movie was awesome. Awesome effects, awesome & very original concept, awesome screenplay... It's awesome.

If you like SciFi, this movie is a real treat. If you don't, you will still fall in love with the characters, story arc and spell binding special effects !

Highly recommend - 8/10
174 out of 232 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It was fun
wolfzrain6 February 2021
This is a Korean version of 'Serenity'. The plot is very similar.

But, I could enjoy the entire watching. Up-dong (A robot) is funny. Kot-nim(A child) is adorable.

Overall, it's recommended. Fun to watch, try it.

ps1. the budget was 21 mil $. Could you believe that?
87 out of 117 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Never had high expectations & I was actually surprised.
eduardvimard5 February 2021
In all honesty I don't get the negative reviews...I mean just by seeing the trailer you realize more or less what is all about. In terms of entertainment this movie is cute and so much fun to watch, and actually delivers...so people moaning all the time by saying oh is that oh is the other, should just enjoy it for what it is. Another good release from South Korea which didn't disappoint.
141 out of 195 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Solid Ride
slmcdee5 February 2021
Space Sweepers is a pretty solid ride with great CGI especially when you consider the budget was around 21mil (USD). I see a lot of people saying that the acting was subpar for some of the cast and supporting cast, but how can you truly gauge it when you're more than like watching it in another language.

It met the expections I have for these Netflix Sci Fi films. If you enjoyed Wandering Earth then you will more than likely enjoy this as well.
124 out of 171 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Finally and original movie!
jdprdise-953685 February 2021
Apparently South Korea can do what Hollywood cant.. So refreshing to watch and original movie!!! Awesome story and characters. Best movie I have seen in a couple of years.
140 out of 202 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
SPACE WEEPY
MadamWarden15 February 2021
Great fun space fantasy that tugs at the heart strings (well it tries to). Cheesy but great fun. Great characters, solid CGI and fair plot.

Not to be taken seriously but good escapist entertainment.

Well done Netflix.
21 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad at all for their first sci-fi epic
dannypark2476 February 2021
Considering the scale of this movie, and what they set out to do, I'd say this was a success. It was off, not perfect, and missed often. But overall, very entertaining, impressive, and promising for a whole new film category for South Korea to add to. And they have a lot now. Btw, it's nice to see a variety of countries and languages represented here, not just the usual English only which I find more realistic in a sense. Btw, it is very difficult to incorporate so many different languages and it didn't always work out. But I always thought these futuristic space stories had way too many people from only certain countries ie USA and UK. Star Wars are suppose to be aliens, not even human, far far away and they are still mostly....English speaking white people basically. No one ever thought this was odd? Anyways, looking forward to more sci-fi to come out of South Korea, and other countries for that matter
90 out of 130 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
South Korea is the New Hollywood!
spasek6 February 2021
All Hollywood can do anymore is give us CGI-fest films with no depth in character or story, or remakes that are almost all worse than their originals. Typically, the films tend to mirror the demands of their audience; people who can barely sit through anything that actually requires some attention.

Korea gives us a great space story that is a bit of a mixture of Wall-E, Firefly, and Blade Runner. The film also gives us a great balance of story, character, and action. Why does the story work so well? Because like all great storytellers, they focus on the story and the characters.

George Lucas once stated, "a film with special effects and no story is a pretty boring thing." Funny how he would actually end up going against his own proverb, and it is also true of what has happened with much of western filmmaking, as stated above.

The film also has a lot of heart, which will make the viewer all the more appreciative that it isn't just an action movie. This is enhanced by veteran actors like Joong-Ki Song (Descendants of the Sun) and Tae-Ri Kim (Mr. Sunshine) as well as Jin Seon-Kyu.

The movie isn't perfect, but if you want a good story, some laughs, and some great action sequences, you won't be disappointed.
112 out of 165 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great visuals can't conceal the weak plot
scientiaetveritas6 February 2021
Protagonists are very cliche (their background stories & personality traits), so is the antagonist (as often seen: big tech company gone bad, its evilness is poorly motivated...). Classic good versus bad story, lacking of grey levels. Very typical, expected plot & outcome, with lots of plot armor on the way. Fans of action & light entertainment will like it, sci-fi fans (like me) might still take some pleasure because of visuals & the general setting.
94 out of 142 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Technically impressive, but lacks a good story
DeBBss5 February 2021
Space Sweepers is a really impressive film considering its budget of $20 million USD. The CGI and sets are great, and it really proves that you can make high quality films for a cheap price. Aside from that, Space Sweepers is pretty average. The story doesn't really offer anything new and its pretty cliched. The acting was the worst part about Space Sweepers. The main actors were decent enough, but the supporting cast gave underwhelming performances. Lastly, Space Sweepers is way too long, they could've cut about 15-30min and it would've improved the pacing by a large margin. Overall, Space Sweepers is a slightly above average film. The only thing that's holding up this movie are its impressive visuals. I'd only recommend this film if you're into sci-fi and space fights, but if you're coming for a story, then you should give this one a pass.
135 out of 209 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What's up with the bad reviews? THIS IS A FREAKING MASTERPIECE.
naderofficial5 February 2021
I swear to god, I don't usually post reviews on IMDB, but I just had to review this one. Korean movies seem to be stepping up getting even better than some of big Hollywood movies.

My brain still not able to process why people can't enjoy anything anymore? Seriously why the bad reviews? It's like some people ran out of dopamine in their brains to feel happy.

This movie has it all, comedy, grief, joy, mystery, excitement, suspense, it's like an all-in-one package which triggers every emotion you have. And the Visual effects were insane! dude I can't believe they only spent 20M$ on this one. It was next level seriously. I wouldn't be surprised if they said 1B$. Not to mention the sounds effects were out of this world also.

Please, don't waste your time reading the bad reviews. Some people are having a bad day. Go ahead watch it, I highly recommend it and trust me you will NOT regret your decision. It's 10 out 10 for me.
57 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable, engaging and fun!
jaylinb13 February 2021
Crumbled across this on Netflix and so glad I chose to watch - starts out with a bang and kept me interested the whole way through. Very well done, was originally meant for the big screen but due to COVID came to streaming services. I'd happily pay to see this in a theatre.
29 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than 97% of the "pc" garbage that Hollywood spews out these days!
rsvp32113 February 2021
Skilled acting...good sci fi plot...beautiful sfx and cgi...re-watchable...*zero identity politics, agenda message, or special interest group pandering... check,check,check!

What a refreshing vid this is to watch! No wonder foreign and indie productions are gaining market shares by leaps and bounds!
63 out of 102 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
this is cool
harumaeren6 February 2021
I think this is cool for 1st time korean blockbuster
53 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining, versatile and unique
vukicevicdora6 February 2021
This movie has a lovely story, characters, setting, visuals, action and a strong message that will make you appreciate our planet with unique new love. Spiced up with cheezy kitsch aspects typical for Korean movies, depicted precisely for parts that can forgive such handling, it offers a joyful ride, seriously awesome action and effects, and an emotional thrill. It also plays with a cult of personality and irony, sometimes on a trace of good old Starship Troopers from 97, has unique insight in a colonisation of Solar system similar to, although not as serious as, the masterpiece - The Expanse, and it takes out the best from Cowboy Beebop. This is not a sci-fy with internal science-proof story as Stargate for example, but it doesn't intend to be bigger than it is. It's refreshing to watch as a honest, fun and touching movie. The parts I would like to point out further is great and strong characters without that annoying 'socio-political corectness' and placing something in a movie just to be oh so modern, and absolutely amazing blend of all cultures and languages. It evokes feelings of unity, togetherness, love, and it actually has a lot of humour, once you get used to the language(s) used. Humor, irony and criticizm of society are slided in elegantly, almost as Psy makes fun of rich Koreans in 'Gangam Style'. I will now hapily go lie down in my yard and kiss my planet Earth for still sustaining us, and then I will attend to my recycling.
56 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sweep Over the Carpet...
Xstal21 February 2021
Unlike so many of the shallow and unoriginal products we're bombarded with through the usual channels and distributors, this outstanding piece of sci-fi cinema brushes them aside with an imaginative story, great special effects, likeable characters and, above all, an engaging story whose message is as valid today as it is in the future earth where the story unfolds.
18 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very fun.
shchu6 February 2021
The CG was incredible for the small budget ($20m) they had, the setup was very interesting, and the twists in the end was an icing on the cake. Also, Bubs stole the show.
53 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I enjoyed it alot!
luckyg-657656 February 2021
I still can't believe the budget on this movie was only $21.2 million! That's incredible! I loved everything about the movie, from the cast to the storyline, including the special effects. Acting was great from the main characters (please turn off the dubbing). Few people are complaining about the CGI but just ignore them, they're spoiled from watching movies with $200+ million budget. I could only imagine what Koreans could do with that kind of money spent. And please don't make comparison to the Expanse, Firefly, or anything else because it's completely different. Only similarities are that it's in the future and outer space. If you think this is bad, watch the $250 million budget John Carter. A huge letdown! There are others I won't mention.

For Korea's first space sci-fi movie I was truly pleasantly surprised how good it was and loved that there were international cast as well.
54 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Return of the Space Opera
peter-spengler13 February 2021
Visually well implemented. Lovable characters. Cool story. Similarities in style to Luc Besson. Koreans put Hollywood to shame. You can see what good Sci Fis would be possible with today's resources.
21 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's a pass, but nothing more
Turanic6 February 2021
The film's storyline is ok but nothing extraordinary... Although the year is 2092, it looks more like 2192, there is no way there will be such massive orbital structures built by that time... As a sci fi Junkie I can see straight away from where all the ideas were picked.. The whole garbage in space collecting comes from Planetes, outlaws idea from Bebop... They also tried to do a robot character like Bender or K2SO, but ended up leaning closer to Jar Jar ...Overall the film's storyline is probably better than Valyrian, but not as entertaining as ridiculous Jupiter Ascending... What most people won't like is pretty cliché characters, sometimes annoying behaviour and a lot of soapy moments focused around a a child...
48 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beats Star Wars 7, 8 and 9 together
realbatman6 February 2021
Full out space adventure. Not the best of space movies but sure beats the hell out of the latest Star Wars films. Why???? This movie has heart, soul and entertainment.
29 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awesome!
avicohenk12 February 2021
If this was an American sc-fi with names like George Lucas people would have rated it 9 or above! It's a good movie with awkward Korean vibes but over cool fun and interesting, don't dwell over the minor issues. It's a great movie! Better then most American sci-fi lately.
17 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great start ...
anthonywemyss6 February 2021
No one can dismiss the CGI as being awesome and the set design is very good. Beyond that though the story struggles through a lack of clear direction. Acting is OK with too many folks seemingly dragged off the streets and offered speaking roles. Script needs to tighten up a lot and you could cut 20 mins off and still have a decent movie. It was certainly watchable and I enjoyed it for the most part but I won't be posting it to FB as a must watch.
34 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I guess there is a movie hidden inside a lot of space sweeping junk
MRT_6 February 2021
There is some quality hidden inside this movie, although it can probably not be fixed in its entirety.

I dig the happy crew vibes of this movie but this movie is sloppy to say the least. The flaws in the story didn't bother me as much as the flaws between the scenes, this made it a particular hard watch. One moment a main actor is about to sacrifice itself and then he walks back on the bridge. Enemies and good guys seem to appear out of nowhere to give this movie an overdose of plot turns or set up scenes.

You also will get sidetracked a lot into unessisary scenes that are only distracting. A lot of my criticism would be fixable by just releasing a better cut, removing distracting scenes that don't progress the storyline and removing scenes that don't tie up loose ends, and then its needs to set up the remaining scenes properly with some more dialogue, this last item would be a hard fix. This movie is probably a 4.5 and i am giving it a 5 just for the attempt and for the love of sci fi. If they would fix it i guess it has an 6 or 6.5 potential.
42 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it
stevipp12 February 2021
Sure there were times I wasn't exactly sure what was going on but what a film. A really fun ride. Great effects and likeable characters with interesting back stories. I loved the robot character - I really liked the material his head was made out of! Interesting multicultural cast and great world vision of the future with all the technology and gadgets. FUN ESCAPISM.
12 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.