Luca (2021) Poster

(2021)

Calamari by your name
thomasbgleeson19 June 2021
Beautiful animation and a story of live and friendship. This is a wonderful film with a somewhat predictable plot but at a short runtime, it's a pleasure to spend time in this universe. Appeals to all ages and has a unique story telling perspective.
326 out of 379 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Somehow reminds me of a good old Pixar times!
danilklimenok17 June 2021
Such a good story! Honest, Kind and simply Intelligent! Nothing irrelevant, nothing boring or whatever what makes people upset about any movie. Great plot and characters, lots of valuable significations. Also, good fun, not like a lot of jokes, but when they come - it's right at the point. Moreover, lots of pleasurable warm summer feelings. And yeah, I'm here not to glorify a motion picture, I'm here since I liked and enjoyed it fully and truthfully.

"Well kaka" :)
215 out of 258 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Please do not take the short 1-star reviews too serious.
jessevasse18 June 2021
Luca is a great Pixar movie! It may not be groundbreaking or revolutionary for its genre, but it is still highly enjoyable. The story is interesting enough to make one care about what will happen next, even though one should not expect events that are outside of Pixar's comfort zone.

I did not cry at several highly liked movies of Pixar (e.g., Coco, Inside Out) and, fair enough, I did not cry at this movie either. However, I had a lump in my throat during the emotional scenes of Luca. For me, it is one of the more enjoyable Pixar movies, but I guess it is just a matter of personal taste in the end. So, please watch it yourself, and then decide whether the abundance of 1-star reviews is justfied! :)

P. S. I really like the Roman Holiday references in this movie! Maybe Luca shares some similarities with Elio? ;)
250 out of 303 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's simple, but truly beautiful
mirandalaico18 June 2021
Pixar never ceases to amaze me, every story they do is different and follows a different way to tell the story, and I like this one pretty much!

I really enjoyed Luca's and Alberto's friendship, but it can start a little weird, but at the end, it's all worthy. Later, when Guilia appears, it also shows a beautiful friendship between her and Luca, sadly Alberto kind of never fit in that friendship, but the story needed this.

I like Ercole very much, it's not a classic villain, he's just a bully that wants to be number one and that's it, some people are like that, but at the end, he gets what he deserves. I can see how people may not like him because he's simple, but he was different from other Pixar's villains, and it was a way to make a change from the classy villains that we normally see.

I was grateful that Massimo's character was like Pixar delivered, in the sneak speak I saw him a little tough and I thought he would stay like that but luckily he did not, he really love Alberto, he even went to look for him, I think he kind of represented the father Alberto never had, and this makes me so happy, because after seeing him in the island telling how his dad abandoned him, was just too heartbrokening (also that part was really good, because we got to go a little deep into the character and understand where he is coming from, which made me emotional) I personally didn't like too much when Luca started imaginating things in his head but it was necessary to look how his interests change or the part that his parents played, they were funny, but it's like they changed theirs minds too fast from the beginning to the end, but after all, I don't think any part of the film is unnecessary.

The comedy was great, the animation stunning, and to see how Luca and Alberto became friends and went through being scared of who they were and to finally let it go to reach their goals, was worth the one hour and forty one minutes.

It was simple, nothing too elaborated, but sometimes is good to see a movie being simple, it doesn't drive you nuts to remember thousands of thing that will later reappeared in the film, so don't have TOO high expectations for it, just watch it on a Saturday when it's raining and you will truly enjoy it.
188 out of 228 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Is it groundbreaking? No, Its Luca!
joostkale18 June 2021
Stop it Pixar! Just stop it! Even the simplest stories are becoming masterpieces in the hands of Pixar. I don't know how they do it. It doesn't take the emotions risks like an Inside Out or Soul, nor is it a masterpiece of a screenplay like the Toy Story franchise, but boy oh boy I love it. Probably, its biggest flaw is also it's strength. It doesn't try to be the next masterpiece. It's Luca. It's a fun crowd pleaser with the typical Pixar emotional moments. It doesn't brake boundaries, but that's okay for me. For what it is, it's perfect! The story is sweet, and the characters are charming and lovely with real development. Yes, the story is a little predictable at times, but it doesn't bother the story much for me. I also love that the villain is the complete opposite of a twist villain. From the moment he pops on screen, you know he's the baddy, and he fits the movie very well. What makes this movie stand out, are the visuals. Holy crap, this movie is gorgeous! Literally the most beautiful movie I've seen this year so far. Also, the score, holy crap. Everything fits with the beautiful country that is Italy. I already know a lot of people will think it fits too much in the Pixar formula, but what can I see. The formula works, so why change it. It has his flaws, and it probably is not the next Pixar masterpiece, but it does work perfectly for what it is.
182 out of 225 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I have really enjoyed it (and I come from there)!
paolofurlotti-0859618 June 2021
Coming from a place which is very close to Cinque Terre (where the imaginary Porto Rosso is meant to be part of) I watched the movie with a lot of expectations: well I must say that I have really enjoyed it: the story is nice, the main characters are enjoyable and both the location and the scenery have been well described (assuming we are talking about the '60s).

The soundtrack in the Italian version of the movie was very nice as well.

Well done Pixar!
114 out of 144 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Adorable child and adult friendly film
ofersheffer17 June 2021
Just got out of a showing at the first day of screening of this film at a cinema in Israel with my family. Firstly, this film is perfectly made on the technical side. Everything looks beautiful and fully immerses you into the world created as if it were real. Underwater shots as well as shots of the city. The story is not completely unique, a "fish out of water", a story of a character learning and developing -- overcoming adversity as well as self doubt. A classic worth telling and it is a good feel good story with well defined characters, each helping the story move along. I think emotionally, this story gives a lot of things to think about and the communication between characters, Luca and his friends, are very well written and very believable even though we're dealing where the fantasy part (becoming a "sea monster") is an occurrence. If I have to nit-pick, I would say that the film on one hand shows that dangerous things could be dangers but also that it is important to confront your fears -- perhaps in an instance or two it might have been good to add a band-aid or something to make it slightly clearer that a character went a little too far. Overall, though, this is not an issue to worry about. I don't think any kid is going to jump off a cliff because of this movie and I definitely recommend it to anyone looking for good character building with an arc. It is not Shawshank, or Empire of the Sun, but it is a lovely movie. Very happy this was my first film-house visit after the pandemic.
148 out of 190 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Santa Mozzarella 🤣 Thank you Pixar
Nodarisan20 June 2021
Really enjoyed. Stunning animation. Loved colors and Italian style. Beautiful scene's.... especially Saturn scene. Story very simple but anyway it's worth it.
64 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Refreshing Animated film
rish200617 June 2021
Pixar never fails to impress 👌🏻. Another Animated film with an interesting story that will make you stay interested, throughout the film.
83 out of 111 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pixar's best in a long time!
blorraine-8375419 June 2021
While normally I'm partial to Disney's happily ever after rather than Pixar's plot twists with happy but emotional ending Pixar has now created a beautiful picture that captured my laughter bitter sweet sadness and all while making me want to go to the Italy pavilion in EPCOT. Between Luca finding him self wanting to experience human things, Albertos troubled past, and Giulia's tenacity to win the race this heartfelt message was truly a must see!
73 out of 102 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bread, Love and Laziness
kerorogio23 June 2021
Very simple story, with the typical message about the acceptance of those who are different from us, a valid narrative element but ... now more than half a century has passed since "The Boy with Green Hair" or even the more famous "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner ", I understand the difficult times, but by now it is no longer a courageous topic and hardly enough to excite if it is not supported by an interesting script.

The first half hour of the film is a pure and boring commercial for Piaggio, then from the acquaintance with the Marcovaldo family the vision improves, even if the film remains uninvolving, and not very original with its typical problematic parents, to whom the son not even seem be fond of. Not that the village bully is better, he's a pretty forgettable villain, moreover, the only problem of the Marcovaldo family is solved quickly and easily.

Overall Luca is super-American in bringing together Italian elements and not knowing what to do next. The seaside village of Portorosso, inspired by the coastal area of the Cinque Terre, is rendered in a colorful and pleasant way, while the marine world is definitely neglected. The choice of songs is very vintage, undoubtedly cult songs, but they do not always feel appropriate to the scenes. Frankly, where was the usefulness of the direction of Mr. Casarosa, outside the beautiful dream sections and some old quotes, I ignore it, but I suspect only to avoid controversy. In short, a Pixar product of the less important ones. To make a forced comparison, "Luca" is comparable to "Coco" as "To Rome with Love" is comparable to "Midnight in Paris", they can like both, but the level of inspiration is different, and the sad thing is that Luca, with the context of sea monsters, started with less worn bases than mariachi and the feast of the dead.

The theme of friendship, however, has been cinically well transposed, but given the setting, I was hoping for something more ambitious. Regarding the possibility of potentially controversial content, the rumors about it were all mental fanfiction of those who enjoy matching characters of each product with a minimum of notoriety. There is no Lgbt stuff, the director had already clarified about it. The Disney princesses are no longer what they used to be, and the tv series "Star vs. The Forces of Evil" and even more "The Owl House" were effectively an introductory attempt, surely "Amphibia" will go that way too, but the situation in this case is different. On the other hand, those who complained, obviously have not seen the film, or they interpret it with particular dedication.

A film that can be watched by everyone, but designed only for a young American audience, who will quickly forget it after viewing.
31 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice film from Pixar that deals with acceptance and knowing who you are
lisafordeay18 June 2021
Luca is Disney's latest animated film from Pixar featuring the voice talents of Jacob Trembaly(Wonder),Jack Dylan Grazer(Shazam),Emma Berman,Staverton Raimondo,Maya Rudolph (Bridemaids) and Jim Gaffigan(13 Going On 30).

Set in Italy the movie focuses on a young sea monster named Luca(Tremblay) who meets a mysterious boy named Alberto(Dylan Grazer) from the dry surface. However when its revealed that Alberto is also a sea monster in disguise, Luca decides to step out of the water and venture onto dry land as a human boy. The two later become best friends and they meet a young girl named Giulia(Berman) who has no idea that the two boys are sea monsters. The question though is will their secret get exposed?

Overall I thought it was a nice film. The plot has been done to death as it reminds me of The Little Mermaid meets Splash as its a fish out of water film only the setting in this film Luca is in Italy instead of New York City or Denmark.

Maya Rudolph and Jim Gaffigan voice Luca's parents along with Sacha Baron Coen as Luca's uncle along with Saverio Raimondo who voices the villian Ercole Visconti.

What I liked about the film was about acceptance in the world and not to be afraid to show people who you are.

Keep your ears open for celebirty chief Gino D'Campo as the voice of an italian priest.
61 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pixar goes to Italy
ramo14018 June 2021
The animation is stunning and the scenery is gorgeous. It is a simple story (I don't see why some people are really disappointed by that) but beautifully done. The characters are really really interesting and I would love to see more of this world.
60 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It hit pretty different when you are at the age.
ariqakbar19 June 2021
As always, today animation cartoon always bring so much great details.

The story it self was great for me, they cover all of the aspect, bravery, comfort zone, friendship, a little bit parenting. The story succeed every-time they try to make this movie seems have increase tentions, they close it with a good portion of fun. Luca and Alberto shows all we been through with our best friend, separate. But, its not always a bad thing.

That last scene also have powerfull feels. Good job, really good job.
58 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just okay
brookenichole-9805421 June 2021
I was really hoping to fall in love with this movie. Unfortunately I didn't. There was something missing within this film. The art was interesting, but nothing like Coco. Everything good was saved until the end. It taught a wonderful lesson about friendship and growing up.

However, what this movie lacked was character development and storyline. Also something that makes me emotionally attached.

Overall, it's an okay movie.
29 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing graphics and setting, poor story
marcobrcc15 July 2021
The graphics and the landscapes are amazing. The staging of the Cinque Terre is perfect. Having been there several times, I can assure that everything is spot on.

Having said that, I found the story unconvincing and predictable. The most interesting character (the antagonist, Ercole) is not described in depth; devoting more time to him, his two buddies and their motives could have made the movie better. The same could have been done for Alberto and the relationship with Luca. Where does Alberto come from? For most of the movie, scene after scene, the focus is the two protagonists trying to escape water not to be discovered and this gets boring very soon. On the other hand very little time is devoted to the final competition itself. The last part seems rushed and leaves you underwhelmed. The concept itself of these sea creatures becoming humans didn't impress me.

Overall the movie has great animation skills, amazing artistic qualities but sadly a poor story.
16 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Luca Review
theredsky26 June 2021
Cute at the moment but ultimately forgettable. Luca is another big step in terms of visuals for Pixar. The movie looks and sounds absolutely phenomenal. This, Soul, and Coco are probably the best looking Pixar films ever. The score is really fun and works well with the film and the sound design is phenomenal. However, I can't let the animation blind me to the fact that the story and characters are very subpar. Luca and Alberto have good voice actors doing a good job with the material but their character development is thin and generic for a Pixar movie. I don't remember a whole lot about their characters other than they are fish people. All of the other characters felt one note especially the villain who is awful. The villain has absolutely no development, motivation, or interesting backstory compared to any other Pixar film and it sucks because Pixar has cranked out some fantastic villains. This story feels very generic and has very low stakes. There isn't anything wrong with a low stakes story but it needs to have a solid story built around it and this doesn't really have a solid story. Events just kinda happen and they form a story but there isn't anything deeper than that. It has some good themes of acceptance and belonging but they feel one note and not explored enough. I ultimately found myself getting bored at points which usually doesn't happen with Pixar. While Luca can excel in its visuals, music, sound design, and voice acting, it ultimately doesn't have a lot more to offer than that. If you like Pixar then check this out but don't expect it to be the next Ratatouille.
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Pixar's typical best
mr_bickle_the_pickle18 June 2021
This is a Pixar film that just didnt really captivate me as much as others. Which isnt to say it was bad. Just kind of a basic story. Boy wants something more out of life. Adventure. Freedom from their hum drum day to day. Its the same thing we have seen before like The Little Mermaid (which is also about a underwater creature) or Beauty and the Beast for example. And I just dont feel like this film did anything really different to make this theme feel fresh. Again, not bad. Just kind of basic.

I did really like Luca and Alberto though. I think they were super cute together. I thought the character Giulia was ok. She had an annoying catchphrase though. "Santa Mozzarella" or "Santa Ricotta" or basically anything cheese. Im sure the writers thought it was cute or funny, but to me it just came off that they didnt know any genuine italian phrases so they just wrote some italian cheeses and want "Good enough". And I dont feel like the film really has any other memorable side characters. I mean the parents were fine - but like a lot of parent characters. As I said...just not super memorable. For me, its Luca and Alberto that really shine and make this movie. Which is a good thing since they are focus of the movie/story.

The animation is beautiful as well - but its Pixar so what else do you expect? And the setting was beautiful too. It really makes me want to go to Italy and have a big bowl of pasta. I really felt transported to that world.

I'll give the film a 7, cause a 6 or lower feels wrong to me. Its definitely not a bad film. Its good for the family. But I was a little disappointed. So I think 7 is fair.
41 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable but had some issues
ConnorAsher18 June 2021
I have to be very honest, I didn't expect much going in and found it more enjoyable than I thought.

The characters (particularly the kids) were really well done and have a lot of personality/chemistry.

I really appreciated the writers including italian cultural references and scenery. I really appreciate it when they show cultural aspects in films.

The style was very unique and animated which I don't mind but I really miss the style and look that most of the original Pixar films had that tied them together. It was kind of a turn off for most fans. The last few films since Coco have been very hit or miss and I believe a lot of it has to do with plot, style and pacing.

Unfortunately, there was nothing really unique that we haven't seen before with the story/plot. Feels very similar to other "fish out of water" stories like The Little Mermaid, Ponyo, etc.

I really wish they spent more time on the build up towards the beginning and ending. So much of this script felt so rushed. The conclusion in particular fell weak and it was a shame because it could have been much better if they paced it right. Stronger emotional pay offs but unfortunately with some of the decision they made, those payoffs seemed very cheap and almost too easy.

Overall, enjoyable film but wish the script and pacing was a bit better.
99 out of 156 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I love this movie so much!
Bubba3261818 June 2021
I absolutely loved Luca so much! The characters are fantastic! I loved Luca as a character and all of the characters are fantastic love all of them, expect for the villain. The villain is pretty weak. The plot is simple but fantastic. I love the whole Italian esthetic so much. Luca's parents are some of my favorite characters in this film. The film is kind of slow at the beginning but once they reach the town which is named after the Studio Ghibli movie Porco Rosso, the film really really picks up. The ending at the train station was one of the best Pixar movie endings ever and I loved it because I cared about the relationship between Luca and Alberto. I loved the ending and it made me sad but happy at the same time. The film looks absolutely beautiful like most Pixar movies but I thought that the entire film looks just beautiful. I just love that this film takes place in Italy. Luca is amazing and I loved every second of it. Please see Luca!
42 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pixar nails Italian stereotypes...
Stevie_Deee20 June 2021
As someone who was born in Italy and has lived in Mexico, I was hoping Luca would be to Italy what Coco was to Mexico. Coco nailed the Mexican culture in a vibrant, magical and respectful way and it was loved there. Luca brought out tired Italian stereotypes that weren't flattering. Wish someone would explain to me why none of the title characters are of Italian background. And the exclamations that come out of their mouths - "Santa Gorgonzola" (Saint Gorgonzola), really???

This wasn't a bad movie, but it left me grinding my teeth throughout at the portrayal. Sad to say that this was the first Pixar movie that has let me down.
59 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty average, but interestingly stylized film
jcmark-6672528 June 2021
Disney rehashes pretty obvious story elements from its other oceanic based films The Little Mermaid and Moana as well as The Fox & The Hound; there just isn't much novelty to the story. While I love the actors involved (Jack Dylan Grazer really shines as one of Disney's most seamlessly funny comic relief characters), they did a much worse job than a film like Coco of blending languages in a way that is both appealing and purposeful, especially with the choice of American actors.

While the film has some fun Studio Ghibli vibes in the style, it takes a half-baked approach to doing a more foreign style film because they still want to appeal heavily to their U. S. base audience. I love the director's work in this project, especially as the one whose personal life heavily influenced the interesting summer friendship dynamic. The design of the movie is pretty great, but the overly simple plot and overtly familiar story trends make it more narrowly appealing to a much younger audience than it could have been. It carries the extraordinarily dumbed down adult trope to a level I haven't seen since 90s Nickelodeon. While the aim seems to be to promote a theme of nondiscriminatory inclusivity, the simplistic nature of the film mostly serves to dampen a lot of credibility to the motivations of its characters.

I have read comments from people elsewhere that they were unsure of the film's quality within the first 10 minutes, but soon came around to really enjoying it. However, the awkward and rushed start can definitely serve as an off-putting exposition that doesn't draw the viewer into the story.
27 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful movie with weak story
Misha-9978322 June 2021
First of all thanks for making the movie in real Italy. Portorosso looks like Riomaggiore and that's wonderful. That's why all story looks very beautiful, maybe that's one of the most beautiful movies. È bello. Also I liked the story of relationships between guys. The world under the sea is marvelous. I love their transformation. That's a good way of storytelling. But the whole story is weak, unfortunately... The story is predictable, but this is not a problem. The problem there is nothing beyond. For example in "inside out" we surely now that somehow joy and sadness will be rescued, but beyond this journey is something boundless for the audience. Some big message.

Second, Luca doesn't have any value. What would've changed if he had "disappeared" on the 20th minute? What would lost the place where he lives ? Why it is necessary to go to school? He just a good guy, but it is not enough. For example in "Coco" we probably could lose the great musician and son. Remy is the best chef. Joe is the best music teacher. Sally is the coolest monster. WALL. E is a robot who saves the Earth.

Third, I don't like "the villain" Visconti. He seems absolutely stupido that why he isn't scary at all and the only feeling that I got "disappear as soon as possible". For example in "incredibles" we like Syndrom, because we know how he became a "villian". How we can empathize with Visconti?

Forth, I suppose that the only reason of the "racing of Portorosso" was to make the story more attractive somehow. But I didn't get surely rules of it. Some could race alone, some could in team. Why? Only to unite the guys? You know, it doesn't seem very natural. I lived in Toscana for several month and for instance there is "Palio" in Siena. And the concept of "Palio", probably, would be better, I don't know. Maybe it would give new ideas of "stakes" and concept of the "enemy". I mean the racing of portorosso didn't become an organic common thread of the story. For example in "Monsters inc." the situation when main characters should return back a kid causes all events, action and reveals all topics with openning "beyond".

Fifth, the ending is too long. There was a feeling that everything that we did not sympathize with in 80 minutes, we should do in the last 10. In "Ratatouille" the final becomes the quintessence of the story and its laconicity opens "beyond".

Sixth, why "silenzio Bruno"? Is "Bruno" father of Alberto? Why the guys comprehend all "humans'" language and don't comprehend "stupido"? I mean there are a lot of attractions, which doesn't work on the main idea or they are "half-revealed".

Seventh, why in the animation parents of the main character are mainly "big" and fool? I mean parents are only the function to make some big obstacle to the main character. But in "Ratatouille" we empathize with father of Remy much more. Because the topic of the life of rats among humans is revealed.

I wrote it because the movie caused many feelings. Because of loving the animation. In Belarus I watched on 17th of June in the theatre, because my love to animation is bigger than the fear of covid.

Anyway, my 1,6 year old daughter watched very attentive for 70 minutes.

Thanks for "Luca"!
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing! Definitely watch this 👍🏻
What's people's problem with this? It's wildly colorful, beautiful and witty. It's emotional. Luca makes a pretty good protagonist. This isn't some random cartoon from Pixar that disappoints, it's their usual magic at work again.

Watched this as soon as possible from the release time. Totally worth it. And the characters are not perfect, they have emotional disputes, relationships and faults. It was amazing seeing such a simple story come to life with so much pop, and all the scenes of this movie were so pretty!

I very much recommend this movie for another 90 minutes of classic Pixar fun. Ignore any ratings below 6.
32 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
it's just okay... and that's the problem
JoeyLeblanc8518 June 2021
It's a nice movie with an interesting premise, but it doesn't go deeper than that. The story is simple, and it could've been handled beautifully if only they didn't spent most of the screen time stabilizing this underwater world and the boys friendship, which is beautiful, but sometimes takes completely the focus of the story, that doesn't develop in any way. I wan't to say that the movie felt flat by the second act... but the movie doesn't feel like having more than one act at all, it seems like just a long ''short story''. There is absolutely no character development in any character of the movie, really, Giulia's father is the one who changed the most by the end of the movie, but that didn't matter because they don't manage to show us HOW or WHY, instead they keep showing us how Italian kids like soccer, pasta, watermelon and ice cream. There is no moment of tension or suspense in any part of it, and every fight in the movie seems unimportant as they manage to get the two characters forgiving each other almost immediately. There was so much potential to a great climax, that never happened, it could never happen with a villain like that, he is totally mishandled and just pathetic (not in a good way) and you just know from the moment you put your eyes on him that he won't be threatening at all. It's a nice movie, the real sad thing about it is that it could have been so much better . 6.5/10.
56 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.