Night in Paradise (2020) Poster

Very good movie
steli-os9 April 2021
I almost skipped this movie because of the 5.8 stars (at the time of this review). But something clicked inside me when I watched the trailer. I have no idea idea why some people rated this movie so low. It's not a masterpiece, but definitely deserves some credit.

Nice acting, great cinematography, great music. I liked the dark tone from the start. I really liked some conversations. Some of them were surreal and it actually worked nicely.

Not much else to add here. Just don't expect non-stop action. For me, its main selling point was the dramatic scenes and I got what I expected from this movie. But I have to admit, the final scene is amazing. You'll know what I mean when you watch it!
57 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
At last the genuine gritty Korean crime genre is back !!!!
searchanddestroy-112 April 2021
I desperately guessed that the best Korean crime flicks were history, after the terrific wave of the early 2000's: bloody, gritty, brutal and so moving in the same time. I won't repeat the list, there were too many of them. And since several years now, we had to puke watching so many craps, more than the Hollywood garbage junks, with plenty of action and those damn F...HAPPY ENDINGS that I neraly forgot what the korean film industry was. But now, I can breath again. This film is a real hit in the groin. Awesome. I spent one hour sending mails to my friends, ordering them not to miss this jewell, at any cost. I will continue the whole day.
37 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So good
the_emo_santa9 April 2021
It's a dark, sad och gritty story about gangsters, violence, revenge, backstabbing and death. They actors did a great job and I absolutely recommend this movie.
45 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A solid genre mashup with amazing locations n a fantastic climax.
Fella_shibby14 April 2021
Inspite of the film's lengthy runtime, i never felt bore. The film is indeed very different from ur regular gangster movie.
28 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Movie since 2020 started.
nate_smith13 April 2021
Amazing writing, directing, cinematography. Will definitely win awards at the end of this year. I'd put it down as one of the best movies since 2020 started.

My girlfriend and I gave it a standing ovation in our bedroom.

READ: If you are too lazy to read subtitles, any films other than those of your native language are NOT for you. It changes the whole dynamic/experience. I wouldn't dare to hear some crappy voiceovers on a masterpiece such as this. Any low reviews you see are the pawns who watched it dubbed, which shouldn't ever be done to any movie, in any language.
30 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Movie with Breathtaking Final !
ogunduz389 April 2021
I am in love with this movie. The characters,scenario,dialogues,acing,scene shooting,processing of the movie, are all very good. Acion, drama, love, you can find every of them. Especially the final was a masterpiece. Watch and. Make it watch.
34 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another quality crime thriller by Park Hoon-jung
alain-kapel510 April 2021
Premiering at Venice film festival last year, Night in Paradise left a mostly positive impression on those lucky enough to catch the screening. This, together with the fact it was directed by Park Hoon-jung, marked it as an item of interest for us genre fans. Well, now that it has finally been released worldwide, I'm glad to say that the wait was worth it. It's not top notch in every aspect, unfortunately, but the overall feeling is that of satisfaction.

This is a prestigious looking gangster drama in the vein of modern Korean genre hits like A Dirty Carnival or A Bittersweet Life. It begins with Tae-gu, a right-hand henchman for gang boss Yang, commiting an act of violence against a rival gang. Since Yang didn't approve it, Tae-gu is forced to leave for Jeju island to lay low and await further orders from the boss. There he also meets Jae-yeon, a lonely girl suffering from a mysterious disease...

This initial setup contains many elements you may have already seen; a brooding young gangster, slick and treacherous gang bosses about to start a war, knife-wielding action, a potential romantic partner and so on. It's all familiar, but rendered with a lot of care by Park, who is becoming an increasingly refined visual stylist. In terms of plot and pacing, however, there are a few setbacks. The story is presented in a low-key fashion with bursts of violence sometimes verging on extreme. This creates an interesting dynamic given that it demands more patience than a typical gangster film would. On the other hand, some scenes do seem drawn out as a result. Add to that the film's long-ish runtime of approximately 130 minutes and you have an uneven mix of brutal action and quiet drama that won't be to everyone's taste.

Personally, I'd say it's peculiar enough to seem fresh, but it also ticks all the expected boxes that lovers of Asian crime thrillers anticipate. Thus I believe that many of you will be satisfied by much of what it has to offer, be it melancholic ruminating or intense action. The latter is demonstrated in some great looking setpieces that will keep you on the edge of your seat, so don't think Night is just about staring into the sunset with a cigarette in hand.

Overall, this is a solid crime thriller that marks another successful entry in Park's genre-based filmography. Give it a chance.
31 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing movie with amazing actors
vrsavedra9 April 2021
What an amazing movie, i have no words to express my feelings right now.

The story, the photography, the SPECTACULAR performance of the main actors, everything is amazing.
32 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A mafia drama with a great finale
alexandridi_11 April 2021
Amazing protagonistic couple and direction. And a different kind of mafia movie.

The silent and tranquil moments managed to hook me more than the gunfire scenes.

Watch it.
18 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well made dark movie at its finest
davidoh-2803011 April 2021
Regardless of where how viewers want the plot to go, this movie is well made with good actors, music, and mesmerizing flow. Highly recommended!
20 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good!
Worth a watch, the action is quite good. Enjoyed it. Korean cinema has always been good.
18 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it!
luckyg-6576510 April 2021
I've watched many gangster films in my life and this one definitely ranks up there. The superb acting by the cast, the story line, the realistic action with all the blood. This is my kind of a movie, I loved it!
19 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Who knew?
Bgappl0714 April 2021
Unfortunately not me I've always been a fan of Hong Kong Chinese Japanese cinema but I was not familiar with Korean cinema then again with BTS I was not familiar with popular Korean singers! Yet here I am in 2021 being totally impressed by this movie the acting was phenomenal the backscape in black-and-white perfect and the plot outstanding in essence with the rest of it I am definitely a new fan.
12 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good movie. You won't be bored at all
aminrubel12 April 2021
So many people gave this a low score. Sometimes we just have to go with the guts to watch a good movie. The movie delivered what it wanted to say. Superb action and and fast movie.
14 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing
cybergus1810 April 2021
This movie is amazing, the story, the acting, the action, even blood looks so real! A must see.
16 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Exceptional - Instant Viewer Immersion - I Loved It Like Most Korean Films I Watch
dwp194810 April 2021
04/10/2021 Another excellent Korean film. Sensible storyline of fiction filled with plenty of suspense and action. Excellent by my standards. Bon Appetit'
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing
jpaulostrindade9 April 2021
Visceral and tragical. Tremendous performances of the main actors. Especially Yeo-bin Jeon.
16 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Masterpeice
Saoustou8810 April 2021
I have no words. This film is everything. The acting, directing, the atmosphere, the tugging of emotions, the raw violence, I mean everything. I have never seen a film with Uhm Tae-goo but he's the next Ha Jung- Woo (The Handmaiden). When I say, ignore the semi-negative reviews and watch this excellent 10 out 10 thriller, I mean it. Ignore the trailers and go for it.
14 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
As expected of Park Hoon Jung and the cast
skntm10 April 2021
This one is probably my favourite movie after more than 20 years of being alive. Not to mention Jeon Yeo Been being my crush.
14 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
enjoyed the movie very much
yutko200414 April 2021
Excellent movie. Good actors. Nothing much to say but watch it.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dramatic tension and emotionally satisfying resolution- violence.
mspeca-1424223 April 2021
Shoot em up with emotional depth and great performance by female lead.
Superb!
carldenton20 April 2021
Absolutely brilliant, loved it! Brutal, funny and the actors are perfectly picked for their characters. If you like the Korean vibe, this is for you!
Great Cinematography work!
piayasbk17 April 2021
Not much story, Great location, colour, best acting of all actors, decent breathtaking ending.

In the end you will enjoy it, i think.

If you gangster film lover, watch this.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A satisfying journey through a simple plot
marlonuutinen19 April 2021
I'm not an expert on movies, but like someone else said, the pacing felt a bit off. Nevertheless, the characters were great and the movie was shot beautifully. It was melancholic, violent and thought-provoking. The ending was absolutely amazing, which in itself would've earned the film at least an 8/10 score from me. Some movies leave you feeling sad or disappointed, but this movie left me feeling satisfied, like I just watched an amazing movie.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Extremely brutal, violent to the extreme.
jon-2264314 April 2021
If that's the kind of movie you wanted to see your wish will come true.

Probably the most violent movie of the year, and it comes from South Korea.

In parts slow burn, but just for build-up.

Basically it's all about revenge, and it's outcomes, and about the personal tole it takes from anyone who seeks it.

This movie is about gangsters who fights each other and have zero mercy, probably one of the most violent movies I have ever seen, very graphical.

The acting is so good it looks real, so it's different then a Hollywood movie.

The actors are so good I had to pause few times to think, I can't remember the last time I saw such an amazing performance in a movie. I know Korean cinema is unique, it gets global attention recently for a good reason.

You will not forget this movie, trust me.
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.